Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

What was Brandon doing to that poor buzzer!? 😆 I’ve never seen anyone else hold it in such an awkward way before.

I also got the meso=middle part of the clue but got stuck on noxia-noxious? Bad? Dangerous? Totally didn’t think of “night” but was obvious once revealed.

• Like 3

Brandon was in the 2008 Teen Tournament, apparently, so it's not surprising that people don't remember him as a Jeopardy! contestant. As mentioned, he's become much more prominent since then, with big success on both Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and University Challenge. He's now a Chaser on both the American and Australian versions of The Chase.

BTW, if you're not familiar with University Challenge, look up some episodes on YouTube some time. It's way harder than Jeopardy! could ever hope to be.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It does not hurt my feelings that Alex Jacob didn't win.

Mine neither.

Did not get FJ.  I knew meso meant middle but other than that, I was clueless.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I translated it just fine, but didn't get beyond that. I mean, I did actually briefly think of mercury but then somehow convinced myself that the element was in fact just plain silver.

Sometimes too much knowledge hurts too.  Or we can't make our brains work the right way in the moment.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

a category I typically run, but I was expecting something more obnoxious than port for what Tesla calls anything

All I could think of was "socket", like a wall socket.  But yeah, that's not obnoxious enough for Tesla.  So port was kinda disappointing in its simplicity.

• Like 3
(edited)

In the Western NY (Rochester) area where Jeopardy! airs on CBS, it's being preempted tonight and tomorrow night (Thu. & Fri.), and they no longer air it in the wee hours afterwards, so, Tube of You it is for me.

Yesterday the AUTO PARTS 101 for $1,000 clue seemed like it should've been the $200 clue, but I'm old. Maybe "throwing blowing a gasket" is no longer a figure of speech?

For FJ I kept throwing words like Mesoamerican around in my head and got nowhere in 30 seconds. After the reveal and the discussion here, I recalled the Nox, a fictitious race of space aliens from Stargate SG1 that I think came out at night?  

Oops. Edited thanks to:

59 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I've always heard it as 'blowing' a gasket, which is something that can happen to an engine, you don't really 'throw' a gasket. 

Rods, OTOH, can be "thrown" clear through the hood of a car.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

March 28:

67% / 57% / 61%

Not too terrible in the first round...ran LGBTQ+ Writers, missed one in Alphanumerics and Devil's Dictionary, two in Free For All and Pop Culture, and four in Interstate. In DJ I missed one in Tough Vocab, two in British Explorers, Art Terms, and Science, and three in Round Here and Hip-Pop.

Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 6) I got 5G, pantomime, hackney, and twenty.

Yay, I was rooting for Sam. Cuz I wanna see him on my TV again. 😍

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

I said Brave New World.  I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest many an eon ago, but that would have never occurred to me in a million years.

I got the missed clues of Free Soil, suit up, 5G and hackney.

I got the entire category of hippop wrong.  Better than last night, but that's not saying much. I think easier questions.

• Like 5

One of the obscure facts I know is that "Cuckoo's Nest" is narrated by an Indian (okay, Native American) that doesn't speak. So, yea me! And an asterisk to boot!!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

My answer to FJ was "1984"...at least I was in good company.  I liked Sam's story about his hand-knit sweater-vest & the cute paper corsage made by his nieces.

• Like 6

I had no clue for FJ.  In my defense, I've never read the novel, although I have seen the movie, and once worked backstage on a production of the play.  So I guess I don't really have an excuse.

I only got two TS -- suit up, and Kansas City & St. Louis.  

• Like 4

No fair, Jeopardy, making my very first Jeopardy boyfriend play my 2nd most recent Jeopardy boyfriend!  (Cris Panullo was my most recent one.)  Don't worry, though, Brad - you'll always be the One Jeopardy Boyfriend to Rule Them All.

Not a great game.  There were a lot of stumpers and no one got FJ.  To be fair, neither did I.  At least Monica didn't win.  I couldn't stand her during her original appearances, couldn't stand her during the All-Star tournament, couldn't stand her on Masterminds.

58 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

If I'd been forced to choose at gunpoint, I'd have been rooting for Sam too.

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had no clue for FJ.  In my defense, I've never read the novel, although I have seen the movie,

I've never read the book or seen the movie, so I had no chance of getting FJ.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never read the book or seen the movie, so I had no chance of getting FJ.

I have both read the book and seen the movie, and I still didn't get it.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I don't remember seeing him before; he was a cutie! Winning by a buck! Wow!

I said Brave New World for FJ.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I got the TS of S (for entropy) but I still don't know (and have never known) why S was chosen for that purpose. 

I had to look it up, and found this: "The symbol "S" is used to represent entropy because German physicist Rudolf Clausius chose it in the late 1800s, possibly in honor of French physicist Nicolas Sadi-Carnot. Sadi-Carnot published a paper in 1824 about heat engines, and Clausius studied his work over many years. Another possibility is that the symbol "E" was already taken."

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have both read the book and seen the movie, and I still didn't get it.

I have done neither and I got stuck wondering how one narrates silently. My guess was 1984 as well. 

I knew "suit up" and 20 on the dartboard.

ETA: I thought Monica was delightful and was rooting for her if Chuck couldn't win.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Don't worry, though, Brad - you'll always be the One Jeopardy Boyfriend to Rule Them All.

😍😍😍

I would have loved to see Chuck win, but I’m happy with a Sam win. 

I have read Cuckoo’s Nest and seen the movie, more than once for each. But it never came close to entering my mind. I was too busy trying to figure out how you can narrate if you’re silent. Are you dead? Is it Angela’s Ashes? The Lovely Bones? (I’ve never read either of those, but I think at least one has a dead narrator.) In the end, I had nothing.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Are you dead? Is it Angela’s Ashes? The Lovely Bones? (I’ve never read either of those, but I think at least one has a dead narrator.)

Yes, The Lovely Bones.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I got the TS of S (for entropy) but I still don't know (and have never known) why S was chosen for that purpose. 

I wonder if E was taken and capital sigma looks kind of like an E?

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe "throwing a gasket" is no longer a figure of speech?

I've always heard it as 'blowing' a gasket, which is something that can happen to an engine, you don't really 'throw' a gasket. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have done neither and I got stuck wondering how one narrates silently.

Chief Bromden isn't really mute; he just pretends to be. The narration is an almost stream-of-consciousness thing, as if it's what's going through his mind as events happen. Within the story, he speaks out loud very little.

I got FJ, but I'm not surprised that many people didn't. It was certainly on the obscure side.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Oops. Right.
Gaskets are "blown," but rods can be "thrown" through the hood of a car. 

At least yesterday my wrong FJ matched that of a Jeopardy! champ (Lord of the Flies).
And I actually got a TS for the first time in a very long time (5G). 

Tonight I'll be Tubing the You of "jeopardy full episode today" due to more popular sports with more advertisers vying for prime time slots.

But I'm also going to record the Saturday 3 a.m. Jeopardy! to see if it is tonight's; ontvtonight.com doesn't know.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Brave New World.  I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest many an eon ago, but that would have never occurred to me in a million years.

Same.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had no clue for FJ.  In my defense, I've never read the novel, although I have seen the movie, and once worked backstage on a production of the play.  So I guess I don't really have an excuse.

Way to talk yourself out of an excuse. I don't think either the movie or the play had a narration by him - so I think you still have an excuse.

11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have done neither and I got stuck wondering how one narrates silently. My guess was 1984 as well.

That was the sticking point for me too, I'd just gotten to the idea that the narrator in a book doesn't necessarily talk out loud when the buzzer sounded. But I still would have missed it - it's been ages since I read the book, like 40 years or more. And I wasn't even in the double digits when it came out.

It was a miserable game for me, I don't even remember if I got any clue. I was, as they say, clueless.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
26 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Way to talk yourself out of an excuse. I don't think either the movie or the play had a narration by him - so I think you still have an excuse.

I'll take it!  Thanks!  😉

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Chief Bromden isn't really mute; he just pretends to be. The narration is an almost stream-of-consciousness thing, as if it's what's going through his mind as events happen. Within the story, he speaks out loud very little.

And as @Clanstarling points out, there isn't any reason why someone who doesn't speak in the story can't narrate the action in any case. It does seem like you have to know the book and can't coast on knowing the movie.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You throw a rod, though.

Maybe we need more clues related to car repair.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And I actually got a TS for the first time in a very long time (5G). 

I was surprised that one was a TS, and suspect they got distracted by the visual and someone would have known it had they just been reading the text of the clue.

I didn't keep track last night, but had a better game than I've been having with these championship tournaments, including getting FJ. 

• Like 3

Friday’s game.  I got Flit.  I also got FJ! which is amazing because I am the Geography Idiot.  However, once again contestants passed up the opportunity to answer what is Trebekistan?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

I got FJ. I think I'm getting at the geography questions.

I got the missed clues of ethnocentrism, Certs and hummingbird.

• Like 3

March 29:

57% / 60% / 57%

In J! I missed one in Stand-Up and Classic Ad Slogans, two in State Flags and Penalties & Bonuses, three in 13-Letter Words, and four in The Ancients Speak. In DJ I missed one in Warming, two in Plays & Playwrights, Biology, Songs, and Eponyms, and three in South American History. Didn't get FJ.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 3 + 1 DD) I got Certs, hummingbird, and Nicolás Maduro.

I remember the two guys (both trying make me cry, geez!), but not Victoria. I liked Dhruv's tie.

Wow, Ben is tall. Funny that he didn't realize he'd end up with a fun ending number ($7654).

• Like 3

I actually got FJ!  I did first think of Ukraine, but knew it was wrong, and went to the -stans.  I came up with the correct -stan in the nick of time.

Only two TS, though -- Certs and Quito.

• Like 2

Got FJ tonight, the first this week. What was funny was that a few minutes earlier, Mr. ECM started asking questions (out of nowhere ) about the dissolution of the USSR and discussing Ukraine. I mentioned something about "all those countries ending in -stan. " When I saw the FJ clue, I shouted out the answer. Hubby said he'd never heard of it. 

Hubby has a bad habit of talking to me during television viewing, but it's especially annoying during Jeopardy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)

I remembered Dhruv (he's the one who choked Alex up with his "We love you, Alex" FJ response in the ToC) and vaguely recognized Ben, but was kind of rooting for Victoria as the lone woman, so good on her winning without ever landing on a DD.

The Vespucci clue belonged in the Toddler Tournament, not in DJ of this one.  I was also surprised knowing chestnuts roasting on an open fire was worth $400. 

I ran stand-ups and got all but one in ads and Penalties & Bonuses, but otherwise had a ho-hum first round; I missed three in ancients, two each in the rest.

But I kicked ass in DJ, especially for a tournament.  I ran warming (thanks to the Pulp Fiction hint in the Ezekiel clue), eponyms, and songs and got all but one in plays and biology.  My "worst" category was South America, in which I missed two.

And I got FJ, so this was one of my best games in a long time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2

Another Chase-er! I was kind of hoping we’d come back from a commercial break and find Victoria busy knitting. 

Someone pinch me, I actually got a geography FJ. In a tournament.  Total guess, but I’ll take it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

I wasn't watching Jeopardy daily 18 years ago, so I don't remember Victoria.  She seems to have kept her buzzer and knowledge skills sharp.  Ben, on the other hand, looked a bit lost to me for almost the entire game.  I don't remember if he or Ken said how long it had been since Ben had first appeared on Jeopardy.  I felt sorry for him staying on the minus side for first half of the show. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I don't remember if he or Ken said how long it had been since Ben had first appeared on Jeopardy

The archive says he was 8-time champ in season 29, which was 2012-13, and was in the 2014 TOC.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The $1000 and $200 clues in A STANDOUT STAND-UP were instagets for me,
but can someone please explain this one?

• A STANDOUT STAND-UP for $400

What to do with Wanda Sykes' ashes? "Spread 'em over" this actress, Storm in "X-Men"; "she don't even have to be at the funeral"

• Who is Halle Berry?

On 3/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, shapeshifter said:

Tonight I'll be Tubing the You of "jeopardy full episode today" due to more popular sports with more advertisers vying for prime time slots.

But I'm also going to record the Saturday 3 a.m. Jeopardy! to see if it is tonight's; ontvtonight.com doesn't know.

I should've allowed more time. It started half an hour late but I had only added an extra 10 minutes.

On the Tube of You, I had to pause it after they gave the FJ clue because they went right to the responses, so I got as far as Turkmenistan and then gave up. I should've given myself a full, calm, 30 seconds.
Oh well. 
I guess that all makes me on par with the stresses of the players on the stage, far from home, and, in one case, post-heart surgery! ❤️‍🩹

• Like 2

I knew the TS of "ethnocentrism". I was kind of crushed that it was a TS. Is that not a thing people know?

I truly thought I went to a crappy high school  One year, when we were studying WW2, the teacher told us: "People say Hitler was a madman, but he wasn't! He didn't want to take over the world; he only wanted to take over the Sudetenland!"... she didn't seem overly concerned about the whole genocide business. Oh, and (I am not making this up) her name was Mrs. Reich.

But I learned the word "ethnocentrism" in that school, though in a different year. So.... mixed bag, I guess. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Angry 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

What to do with Wanda Sykes' ashes? "Spread 'em over" this actress, Storm in "X-Men"; "she don't even have to be at the funeral"

• Who is Halle Berry?

I can’t really speak for Ms. Sykes, but I’m guessing she has a bit of a crush on Ms. Berry. And who can blame her, it’s Halle Berry. I assume Wanda’s wife approves. 😉

• Like 6
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The $1000 and $200 clues in A STANDOUT STAND-UP were instagets for me,

• Who is Halle Berry?

Like @30 Helens, I think Wanda just might have a crush on her.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Another Chase-er! I was kind of hoping we’d come back from a commercial break and find Victoria busy knitting. 

It's an interesting contrast. On The Chase, they have to act so confident and superior, always smarter than the mere mortals who are the contestants. It was fun to see Victoria so excited about winning.

• Like 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

@shapeshifter It's from one of her stand-up specials.

Thanks.
thx.png.cafa1ba41cbaa37d5a633b9da345e517.png

I was overthinking the reference to the character of Storm.
And I see it's from 14 years ago, so I wouldn't have seen that one.

ETA:

19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I can’t really speak for Ms. Sykes, but I’m guessing she has a bit of a crush on Ms. Berry. And who can blame her, it’s Halle Berry. I assume Wanda’s wife approves. 😉

18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Like @30 Helens, I think Wanda just might have a crush on her.

And I, in turn, have some sort of crush on Wanda.🙃😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Wink 4
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I knew the TS of "ethnocentrism". I was kind of crushed that it was a TS. Is that not a thing people know?

That was an instaget for me, and I was disappointed it was a TS.  I think the related concept of xenophobia is a better known term, so someone's mind may have first gone to that, remembered it's not an -ism and doesn't have enough letters, then run out of time to come up with the proper term.  Maybe someone thought nationalism/nativism first, realized not enough letters, and ran out of time.  Cultural relativism sprang to mind, but that obviously wasn't it, and ran out of time?  Like you, I'd hate to think that's something three people knowledgeable enough to be multi-game J! champions have never learned.

10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And I see it's from 14 years ago, so I wouldn't have seen that one.

It's a good one.  But, really, it's Wanda Sykes, so they're all good ones.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think the related concept of xenophobia is a better known term, so someone's mind may have first gone to that, remembered it's not an -ism and doesn't have enough letters, then run out of time to come up with the proper term. 

That is exactly what happened to me.  I couldn't get past xenophobia.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That is exactly what happened to me.  I couldn't get past xenophobia.

Same here. I think xenophobia is a more commonly used word in political/ social discourse, while ethnocentrism is largely a topic for academia. (I know they’re not exactly the same thing.) I’m a long way from college, so my brain got stuck in the familiar.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 3/29/2024 at 7:31 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ. I think I'm getting at the geography questions.

I got FJ pretty quickly.  I thought of Turkmenistan first but realized there was at least one closer to the end of the alphabet.  Uzbekistan popped into my mind pretty quickly after that.   (Weird note: I forget a lot of capital cities, but I will always know that Tashkent is the capital of Uzbekistan.  So watch them change it next week.)  Never even considered Ukraine, though.

I was rooting for Dhruv, but was fine with any of the contestants winning.  And Victoria was a beast on the buzzer.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:04 PM, possibilities said:

I know it but sometimes the word is in my brain and won't surface in time and this was one such occasion.  Needing a specific number of letters often trips me up.

• Like 2