Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Same answer as me but my excuse is I'm British.

I have no excuse. I didn't even think of the Statue of Liberty, and I never would have been able to tell you the artist (still can't...). And I live an hour away from it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Who is Statue of Liberty Guy?" 🤣

I hereby nominate this as the catch-all response for any "dead white dude" answer one can't come up with.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Still no FJ. 🙁 When I saw the correct response I immediately said "of course, the Statue of Liberty". Sigh!

We got to the Statue of Liberty, and had no clue who the guy was. Donna spoke for us. 😄

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

the only ts  I got was Butterfinger.

I should have gotten it - as Butterfingers used to be my favorite candy bar.

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I'm quickly heading to my first zero of the season. I'm going to blame it on being rusty after having the summer off!

Hey, you still have two more games. Shake it off, my friend. 😉

• Like 3
On 9/12/2023 at 3:06 PM, ams1001 said:

The clues were just about famous people and who they're related to.

I did get it eventually but not at first.

On 9/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, ams1001 said:

Even FJ was pretty much an instaget (rare for me in a mythology category).

I usually rock mythology categories, but despite an enduring interest in Greek mythology specifically, I did not get the river Styx.  I went far more generic with "underworld".  Oops.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Wait did she actually get the money? I thought in the tournament it was a win or don’t win thing. So just wager enough to beat the next closest competitor?  But even given that, I guess I can see she may have forgotten that in the moment? Maybe?

I don't think they do, so she may have forgotten that in the moment.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, illdoc said:

Yeah, I was a "purgatory" as well. My problem, I don't think of "The River Styx" as a place (the category was "Mythological Places"). It's an object to me. So even if I had thought of Styx, I wouldn't have said it.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, DXD526 said:

I thought of the Styx, but discounted that answer, because it's NOT a 'place,' IMO! Maybe that's the kind of writing we're going to get while the strike is on? 

A river is a place, but I get what you mean.  It did not even cross my mind.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Who is Statue of Liberty Guy?" 🤣

I got Bartholdi at the very last second but this is probably what I would've written down.

• Like 5

J! Archive game for me today since I didn't get home from my appointment until 4:02 p.m. - Jeopardy's on at 3:30 p.m. in the Windy City.

Decent J round - not as good in DJ, but not a total flame out either. Didn't run any categories, but got 4 right in both "Reconstruction" categories. Also got 4 right in "...American Football" (should have run it but couldn't spit out Bill Belichick's name - loathe him and his team), "The Ohio Universities" and "Let's "See". No TSs today (hangs head in shame).

But I got my first FJ of the week/season. 🤪 Oslo was an instaget, which is a good thing since I would never have come up with the other one. And did Hari and David not understand the clue? Cuz Doha and Lisl (Lisbon)?

• Like 2

September 14:

73% / 60% / 66%

J!: Decent first round...Ran The Ohio Universities, Biology, and The 2023 Time 100, missed two in Football and three in Reconstruction and Let's "SEE".

DJ: Missed one each in Hip-Hop Literary References and Such Colorful Language!, two in Reconstruction and Speechify"ing", and three in Pop Culture and Alliterative Geography.

FJ: Not a clue. Didn't even quite understand the clue until Oslo was revealed. (If I had I might have gotten that but there's no way in heck I would have come up with the other one.)

TS: (3 in J!, 4 in DJ) I got Samuel Alito and mustard seed. I should have gotten Robert Smalls but I blanked.

• Like 2

Terrible game for me tonight.  I did get Oslo, but thought they wanted both, and also thought that both had to start with the same first and last letter.  I couldn't think of anything else that had four letters and started and ended with O.  But I wrote down Oslo + ?, so I'm counting it!  

I was very distracted during the game -- just couldn't concentrate for some reason -- so no TS for me.  I hope I'll do better tomorrow!

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get Oslo, but thought they wanted both, and also thought that both had to start with the same first and last letter.  I couldn't think of anything else that had four letters and started and ended with O.  But I wrote down Oslo + ?, so I'm counting it! 

This was exactly me. I didn't understand until Oslo (by itself) was accepted and Ken said Apia was the other capital. But, I have witnesses that I did say Oslo.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I had a different misunderstanding than some posters here; before several rereadings, I somehow thought they wanted capital cities with the same name in both the northern and southern hemispheres. But I did get that they only needed one of them, so I figured, hey, there might be an Oslo in the southern hemisphere that I’ve never heard of…

• Like 6

I agree that it was an awkwardly written clue. But I quickly saw they wanted 1 out of 2. What confused me a little was the N. and S. - did the correct responses start and end with "n" and start and end with "s"? Once I realized that they were just saying that there was one in the Northern and one in the Southrrn Hemisphere I was good - don't understand why they felt the need to abbreviate. Oslo popped into my head immediately, then I parsed the clue to make sure it fit.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I thought Ken said northern and southern when he read the clue?

It was a J! Archive game for me today so I'm just going by what was shown there. Once I concentrated and saw it was N. and S. Hemisphere it made sense to me. Would much rather have heard Ken read the clue, but alas, not today.

• Like 3

I too found the FJ clue confusing:

• WORLD CAPITALS
    In English, name of 1 of the 2 4-letter capitals with the same first & last letter, one in the N. & one in the S. Hemisphere

— first thinking the 2 capitals both started with the same letter and both ended with the same letter — like Lima and No-other-capital that I could think of (or that currently exists: worlddata.info/capital-cities).
So I went with Oslo, thanks to The NY Times crossword (Oslo is a favorite fill word) — hoping it was that kind of same first and last letter.

I wonder if the clue would have been edited for prime time had a WGA writer been available? Or maybe it’s just not possible to make it clear within the character allowance, and that’s why the clue was not previously used?
Or are these clues already pre-used?

Anyhoo, I got the TS of Alito, although I was confused by the wording of that clue as well, a rather pointed quote:

• He "has been on the Supreme Court for 17 years. But in 2022, he cemented his legacy"

But Merriam-Webster does include this example of the use of the word Legacy:

The war left a legacy of pain and suffering.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

I didn't have any trouble with FJ either.  It's a good thing they wanted only one capital - Oslo was an instaget but I would never have gotten Apia.  Maybe I'll remember it should the capital of Samoa come up again.

I did get the ts's of mustard seed, Red River, and whitewash.  I knew Red River because it is on the news every spring when it floods in Manitoba.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Terrible game for me tonight.  I did get Oslo, but thought they wanted both, and also thought that both had to start with the same first and last letter.  I couldn't think of anything else that had four letters and started and ended with O.  But I wrote down Oslo + ?, so I'm counting it!  

I was very distracted during the game -- just couldn't concentrate for some reason -- so no TS for me.  I hope I'll do better tomorrow!

Count it as an FJ - but sadly, or gladly, we've had no TSs so far (Jill got Oslo). Of course, it's only the first week. We can still hope that the contestants blank our when our minds are on point.

11 hours ago, opus said:

I feel like the opposite of most here. I totally understood the FJ question, I just didn’t know the answer.

That was me - and after bragging about how I knew all the capitals I flubbed this one. My mind was wandering in Asia, Africa, and South America. If I'd started with Europe, I might have manged. I did know both capitals - just didn't think of them in regards to the clue. Got too big for my britches, as Mom used to say.😅

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, Ancaster said:

Knowing where Paul McCartney was born seems pretty KG level Jeopardy to me.  Certainly not Double Jeopardy worthy.  Just me?

As a bit of a newbie, can someone explain the flame emoji?  Did I say something awful?

Also, is it okay to comment on my own post?

Feeling insecure.  Maybe I need virtual hugs  😉

• Hugs 14
13 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

As a bit of a newbie, can someone explain the flame emoji?  Did I say something awful?

Also, is it okay to comment on my own post?

The flame reaction is basically a super-heavy-duty agree.  Like an "oh hell yes" maybe.  The forum doesn't "do" negative reaction options, so don't worry - we're not trying to tell you something 😉

And as far as I know it's not bad form to comment on your own post, if that's what makes the most sense.  I'm sure I've done it myself.

ETA - there's a "glossary" thread you may find helpful.  I just "bumped" it so it should be near the top of the forum page.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

As a bit of a newbie, can someone explain the flame emoji?  Did I say something awful?...

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

The flame reaction is basically a super-heavy-duty agree.  Like an "oh hell yes" maybe.  The forum doesn't "do" negative reaction options, so don't worry - we're not trying to tell you something 😉

Yes, what @SoMuchTV said👆regarding👇

And as the first person to have posted a flame pt-fire.png on your post👆, I just wanted to clarify that I totally agree about the Liverpool clue seemingly being written for kindergarteners. Perhaps another clue that was not intended to be used if not for the WGA strike? IDK.🤷🏻‍♀️

• Sir Paul McCartney was born on June 18, 1942 in this city--3 very important co-workers of his were born there, too

OTOH, I suppose most Jeopardy! players today were in kindergarten when The Beatles were still together.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

The flame reaction means Fire (if you hover over them it'll show you the meanings, at least on a PC). Per google (for I am too old for the current slang), "'Fire' is a slang term used to describe something that is exciting, outstanding, or gaining popularity quickly."

2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

That would be the teddy bear reaction, FYI. image.png.0850eb5683a84b38fed2e119fe5c52ef.png

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OTOH, I suppose most Jeopardy! players today were in kindergarten when The Beatles were still together.

I was nodding in agreement at that, until I did the math (and googling) and figured out that the Beatles’ breakup was over the course of 1970-1974, so people who would have been in kindergarten then would have been born between about 1965-1969, so well into their 50s now. I’ll buy that as an average viewer age, but I’d guess the players would average a bit younger. 

OTOH, I’m not sure why I’m nitpicking about that; I agree with your point!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

So so game to end the week. I feel like there were a bunch of clues I should have gotten but spaced out on.

Only 2 good categories today. Ran "Agatha All Along" in the J round and "Currency" in DJ. At least I got a TS today which is one more than I got yesterday - coy (easy for me since I read a lot of cozy mysteries - in fact I'm reading one now).

Got my second FJ of the week. I said Ceres right away but I wasn't quite sure I was right as it seemed a bit too easy. But I guess it was an instaget.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

September 15:

70% / 60% / 66%

J! was at the edge of decent...Ran In Your Element, missed one in Song Birds and Cat Lovers, two in Building, America and Agatha All Along, and three in Fire Z.

Not so great in DJ...Missed one in Currency and Thirst, two in From B to F and Celeb Lit Before & After, and three in Monet Monet and Trap.

FJ was an instaget. Answered before Ken finished reading.

Didn't get any TSes tonight. (There were 2 in J!, and 2 plus a DD in DJ)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  

I also got the TS of Ryman Auditorium, Argonne, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I have never called aluminum foil tinfoil.  I either call it aluminum foil or just foil.  I was briefly confused by that clue!

• Like 4
Just now, anniebird said:

Why wasn't Demeter an acceptable answer - aren't Demeter and Ceres the same? Did the question specify Roman and I missed it?

They wanted the name of the dwarf planet:

"The only dwarf planet located in the inner Solar System, it's named for an ancient deity of planting & harvests"

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They wanted the name of the dwarf planet:

"The only dwarf planet located in the inner Solar System, it's named for an ancient deity of planting & harvests"

Duh - thank you - I forgot that part of the question.

• Like 3

I got Ceres because of The Expanse - but only because I misremembered the name of the agricultural moon (didn't remember it was a moon -  Ganymede). So faulty memory and logic, but it got the job done!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

So, is everyone back playing Jeopardy now? For some reason, I thought a lot of the folks here were going to stay away during the strike. It's been strange not tuning in M-F at 7:30. Guess I'll start watching on Monday.

Re: the flame? I've used it to signify a not so pleasant reaction to stuff. So I won't be using it any more (never used it much any way 😊).

• Like 2
21 hours ago, anniebird said:

Why wasn't Demeter an acceptable answer - aren't Demeter and Ceres the same? Did the question specify Roman and I missed it?

They are the same, but since the planets (including dwarf planets) use the Roman names, the Greek name wasn't correct.

Anyone else annoyed with Jill for coming in last after having such a huge lead after day 1? But good for Hari for a great come from behind win!

• Like 2
On 9/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, opus said:

I feel like the opposite of most here. I totally understood the FJ question, I just didn’t know the answer.

That was me.  I knew what they were looking for but couldn't come up with the name of either capital.  Although I should known Oslo.

But at least I got Ceres.  Good thing it's named for the Roman goddess because for the life of me, I couldn't remember the Greek name, despite being particularly interested in the Persephone myth.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

I have never called aluminum foil tinfoil.  I either call it aluminum foil or just foil.  I was briefly confused by that clue!

I've heard it referred to as tinfoil, as in "tinfoil hats" protecting their wearers from alien mind probes/radio waves/Big Pharma, etc., but still almost didn't get it in time.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:32 PM, GreekGeek said:

They are the same, but since the planets (including dwarf planets) use the Roman names, the Greek name wasn't correct.

Except if Uranus is the answer.  Uranus was a Greek god.  (Yes, please, make all the butt jokes you want. 😁)

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

September 18:

70% / 87% / 79%

Not bad first round…ran Book Titles in Other Words and Restaurant Hijinks, missed one in American History and Talk Like a Pirate, three in Enemies - Not a Love Story, and four in Museums.

Very good second round…ran 21st Century News, Science, 1990s Hitmakers, and Word"le", missed one in Activists, and three in Latin America.

And I got FJ! It was a complete guess! (He just seems like the kind of author who would have had multiple wives...)

I got the missed clues of Rijksmuseum and venerable (both DDs…funnily enough, I got the two that Matt missed but not the one that he got right). (There were 4 plus the DD in the first round, and a missed DD in the second round but no actual TSes.)

I don't remember any of these people again. Matt's story of how he met his girlfriend was cute. I was rooting for him but good for Deanna.

• Like 4

I had no idea on FJ.  I guessed twain, too, for no particular reason other than I was trying to go old-timey because of the wives' names.

I got the missed clues of venerable, Rijksmuseum (been there), and Crazy Horse which I was confused at Chief Joseph being ruled correct, but nobody's perfect.

I got the entire categories of books and 90s hitmakers right.

• Like 6

Decent game to start the week. Got almost the same number of correct responses in each round.

3 good categories in the J round. Ran "Talk Like a Pirate" (arrrgh), and got 4 in "American History" and "It Belongs in This Museum". TSs/missed DDs were Crazy Horse (not a true TS since the guys didn't get a chance to respond since Deanna was mistakenly credited with a correct response), Rijksmuseum (DD) and Captain Blood.

Only 2 good categories in DJ - got 4 in both "Latin America" and "Science" - kinda surprising since they aren't necessarily strong categories for me. Got the only missed clue in the round - venerable (DD).

FJ was an instaget and I was a little surprised that only 1 of the contestants got it right. I haven't read any of Hemingway's books, but I somehow recognized the names of his wives immediately. However I have been to the Hemingway House on Key West with the six toed cats.

• Like 4

I don't care enough about Hemingway to know he had multiple wives, so I did not get FJ.  I didn't even have a guess.  Oh well.

I did get the TS of Captain Blood, National Gallery, and venerable.  I also got Crazy Horse, after being terribly confused by Ken's acceptance of Chief Joseph!

I know this thread will probably stay at or near the top, but can it be pinned there?

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

…I got FJ! It was a complete guess! (He just seems like the kind of author who would have had multiple wives...)…

Hah! Same!
Plus I had watched most of Ken Burns’ Hemingway documentary in 2021 during the pandemic.

36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Matt's story of how he met his girlfriend was cute. I was rooting for him but good for Deanna.

Yes, initially Matt’s meet cute story made me root for him, but Deanna reminded me so much of my former coworker who is still my birthday twin, that I was really pleased by her “helluva game.” 😊

• Like 5

It's funny how information can come to us.

I have never read a Hemingway-penned book, although I'm mildly familiar with a few titles. I know bits and pieces about his life, but had no knowledge of him having multiple wives. Still, FJ was an instaget for me. Why? Because the 2012, made-for-HBO TV movie, Hemingway & Gellhorn starring Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman has been sitting in my MAX "Want to Watch" list for a few years now. 😄 It looked like something I'd enjoy and I like both leads. I had no idea she was one of four Hemingway wives, but I immediately connected her name in the clue to Hemingway. 

Perhaps I should finally watch the film!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

It's funny how information can come to us.

I have never read a Hemingway-penned book, although I'm mildly familiar with a few titles. I know bits and pieces about his life, but had no knowledge of him having multiple wives. Still, FJ was an instaget for me. Why? Because the 2012, made-for-HBO TV movie, Hemingway & Gellhorn starring Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman has been sitting in my MAX "Want to Watch" list for a few years now. 😄 It looked like something I'd enjoy and I like both leads. I had no idea she was one of four Hemingway wives, but I immediately connected her name in the clue to Hemingway. 

Perhaps I should finally watch the film!

😆I was just looking at the Facebook post for this clue and someone commented “This was easy if you remember that terrible 2012 film with Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman.” 😂

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Hemingway & Gellhorn

Aha! That’s why the name Hemingway came to me when I saw that name in the clue! I had no idea Hemingway had four wives but as soon as I saw Gellhorn, Hemingway popped right into my mind. I thought it was a random guess but I must have subconsciously remembered that movie.

• Like 7