Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Last Chance At Romance

• Start Topic

Doug is never going to live down that cigarette. WTF, did Jamie say she saved her romantic gestures for when she is really in love? That is a slap in the face.

I hope they are trying to fool us that Jason isn't going to commit. I really don't think he is going to do better than Cortney.

• Love 4

Man! Jamie constantly lobs passive-aggressive grenades at Doug. Poor dude! Perhaps it's the case that she sincerely doesn't have a filter and lets thoughts fly as they occur to her. Maybe she isn't really TRYING to be hurtful. IDK...

This show has exhausted me after 9 epis of a lot of half-assed 'science' and famewhoring. Mah Gawd! I expected better at the outset. I'm not sure if I'll tune into season 2. Maybe I'll decide that after watching the casting epi next year.

I have enjoyed the snarky recaps and the funny/thoughtful discussion here, though.

• Love 4

Doug:  If you stay with Jamie, she will carry The Lie in her back pocket and hit you over your head with it every fucking time she feels she needs to.  You cannot be that desperate, just because she's an attractive woman.  You must know by now that she is batshit crazy. 

I think Jason can't believe he met someone he would have dated and maybe married even without this show, and he's scared she'll wake up one day and leave him.  Just hang in there, son, and don't let her go.

Vaughn and Monet should just get drunk and have one last fun fuck before they split up.

This show has exhausted me after 9 epis of a lot of half-assed 'science' and famewhoring. Mah Gawd! I expected better at the outset. I'm not sure if I'll tune into season 2. Maybe I'll decide that after watching the casting epi next year.

I'm exhausted, too, and I'm not sure I'll be tuning in next season.  I'll watch the first episode and eyeball the cast to see if I want to see anymore.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 9
Jamie constantly lobs passive-aggressive grenades at Doug

Maybe to make herself feel good that she has that control over him since he acts like a love sick puppy. She better hope her looks last because her personality sucks.

If I took a drink every time Jason says he doesn't know if he will be able to commit because he is going to be so busy with the fire fighter stuff I would be passed out by now.

• Love 8

Jamie has to have some sort of trauma or something pretty scary in her past to behave like she does. Or maybe she could be on the spectrum? Look, I tend to lack a filter, but I regularly gasp at some of the shit that comes out of her mouth. I understand thinking some of those things, but does she have to say everything that crosses her mind? 

I don't think she's famewhorey or really even that manipulative. I saw shades of this same behavior in The Bachelor. She's essentially looking for an out, yes, but it's more of a defense mechanism than anything else. She's clearly terrified to appear vulnerable. I know she mentioned abuse this episode. I wonder if she has some pretty dark skeletons.

Monet and fucking Vaughn. Cringe, cringe, cringe. It's such uncomfortable viewing. Every episode has them starting to make progress then starting at square one. Gah.

I fear Cortney is going to get her heart broken. It's funny- in episode 1 I though that she seemed so very young, but out of all of the people involved in this experiment, financial issues aside, she seems to be the most mature. Jason just is not ready to commit fully to another person, and I fear one day he's going to wake up and really regret not giving 100% of himself to this girl.

• Love 2

Jason is so afraid. His other relationships must have been really messed up. His gift to her will suck if he decides on divorce, what a painful reminder especially since he knows how Cortney feels.

Notice on the clips for the decision they are holding each other and C is on his right side. A newer clip they have been showing she is on the left, they are no longer sitting that close (looks like) and Cortney looks sad and like she's been crying. I can feel her pain if Jason decides on divorce.

If Jamie decides on divorce Doug needs to count himself LUCKY. Together she will constantly use whatever she can against him, knowing he won't leave her.

• Love 2

So was their "first date" the gazillionth or the bazillionth fresh start for them? Ugh. I think it will be a relief for me to finally watch Monet throw Vaughn's belongings onto the sidewalk and change the lock.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 5

Based upon tonight's episode, it almost seems like Monet & Vaughn will stay together, and both Jamie and Jason may bail on their marriages. Of course, all reality show veteran's know that means it will be exactly the opposite. Another sign is that the one-month gifts both Jason & Jamie gave their spouses was so personal, vs. the watches Monet & Vaughn gave each other. The watch Vaughn go for Monet was huge! it looked like a man's watch. Is that the style for women's watches these days?

Rather than the mystery of who stays together, the REAL mystery of the show is whether Jamie & Doug will ever have sex.

• Love 5
Rather than the mystery of who stays together, the REAL mystery of the show is whether Jamie & Doug will ever have sex.

My guess is they stay married, but never have sex because Jamie is waiting for that moment when she knows she's in love and can truly trust Doug.

• Love 6

I think the personal gifts would be a cruel reminder of being dump. It's almost like a set up to make them think they want the relationship to last (especially Jason's )

I seen on Cortney's twitter Dr C sent one that said Jason was really thoughtful in making his decision. Sounds to me like he goes for the divorce Fool, unless he was never serious about this.

• Love 1

Wow.  Jamie and Doug have gone from being my favorite couple to replacing Vaughn and Monet as the most squirm-inducing couple.  Their every interaction is just awkward and uncomfortable to watch.  

I can't believe the "experts" are still framing Doug and Jamie's problem as "Doug smoked and lied" rather than "Jamie's major trust issues prevent her from forgiving Doug and moving the hell on."   This will *always* be a thing for them.  She will *always* have this in her back pocket whenever he so much as bends the truth.  Here's the thing, Doug: when your significant other has something they can hold over your head to keep you in line, she will, especially when she has major trust issues and finds you sort of repulsive to boot.  I think Jamie is media savvy enough to agree to stay married to him next week in a suspense-filled, TV-ready reveal, only to dump him in a few months when the cameras are off and blame it on her failure to get over "the thing that we don't talk about, but do.  All the time."  (Did anyone catch when Doug was looking for a lighter to light the "romantic" candles, and she snottily said he should know where a lighter is since he smokes.  So much for not bringing it up.)

And why oh why have none of "the experts" called her on this?  Why have none of them suggested that maybe it isn't that Doug needs to apologize and stop lying, but maybe Jamie needs lots n lots of therapy before she's ready for a healthy, adult relationship with an actual, flawed human being?  Because that would mean admitting that this whole enterprise is not a "social experiment" but the freakshow everyone suspected it was in the first place.  

Doug seems like a decent, confident guy, and watching him slowly being de-balled by his wife is no longer fun or entertaining.  It's just sad.  

• Love 8

FREE DOUG!  No way those two stay together - and THAT is for Doug's benefit.  Given Jamie's umpteenth reality show appearance still hasn't produced the magical, true, perfect love she seems to feel is out there, perhaps it's not Doug and his smoking that's the problem, Jamie - but perhaps your freakishly unattainable, unrealistic standards that could be the issue?

Vaughan and Monet - I think they are both physically attracted and trying to make it something more than it should be - but they don't need to be married.

Jason - you are a royal idiot if you opt for divorce.  Just sayin.  Courtney is a keeper!

• Love 1

I'm really disappointed by Jamie still constantly bringing up "the thing we don't talk about" and taking jabs at Doug. That isn't any more healthy than lying. Well at least Doug won't have any illusions of her being over it. If they do stay together, then I hope falling in love will alter Jamie's behaviour for the better. At least Lady loves Doug. He should steal her.

Jason is a total moron if he divorces Cortney. Especially after giving her such a gift. It breaks my heart to see her be so sure about her decision and him still acting like it could go either way. It was so cute to see him take part in her "burlesque" performance.

Vaughn and Monet aren't fooling anyone. I will be truly flabbergasted if those two decide to stay married. They're both so far away from falling in love that it would make absolutely no sense. Did Vaughn really say he wouldn't like to get divorced because it's so uncomfortable to explain it to people? Well that's a good reason to commit! Their gifts were like the least personal ever. It was funny how Monet was trying to find some reason behind his choice, when it was clear Vaughn just walked into a shop and got the least personal thing in there.

• Love 2

Totally agree Bourbon ! Glad we're able to express opinions on this board about all of the couples. I was slam on another board simply because I said Jamie's past of property and abusive household was not unique.

I feel like Jason is now being a Jamie. He's kind of doing the yo-yo thing with Cortney, doing things that indicate he's in it for the long haul and saying things like "he's in this forever "

I can't figure out why Monet & Vaugh would even consider staying together??? Their scenes felt more like they are trying to end things on a friendlier note.

• Love 1

Monet is a bitch, I am sorry. It's always about her. Whatever it is, she turns it to herself and how it affects her. She is selfish. As much as I don't really like Vaughn I can imagine that it's hard that Monet has never done ONE nice thing for him. She said she will once she is in love. I can still do something sweet for a man even if I am not in love with him. She is so into herself that she just is not a giving person at all. I don't think he expects her to grovel at his feet all day but once in a blue moon do or say something nice.

• Love 5

62Great I thought that was you under a different username, don't worry I got slammed and some rather rude messages as well for questioning the great doctor I just laugh at the suckups.

If Jason walks away I think he will regret it done the line. Funny with Cortney being the youngest yet she seems the most mature of the lot. I really have my fingers crossed for this two.

Monet & Vaughn I was bracing myself for a fight and was disappointed when they were communicating (yes I am mean). Wasn't Dr C so  sure tonight that they were so compatible, I think he was just saving face on the whole mess. Even when communicating with each other I saw no real connection, for the people that jump into bed at every opportunity they sure don't show any connection outside the bedroom.

Doug still needs to run Jamie defiantly has passive aggressive down well if he does stay he needs to lay some boundaries or Jamie is just going to keep on with the hurtful comments. Who am I kidding as soon as Doug says something she will berate him like  a little boy about his lack of understanding of her past. How many times can she tell Doug she is not feeling it with her little jokes and he laughs along. I just get the feeling she is playing to the cameras.

I was only half watching as quite frankly I am over this crap but didn't Jamie say she had done nothing romantic for Doug to his face but then in the talking head talk about all she had done for him as she realizes marriage is give and take (in there case all take on Jamies part and all give on Dougs)

I haven't read the comments yet, but one of the most glaring things I noticed while watching this last night was Monet and Vaughn's body language. ANY time they were on camera, they sat far away from each other, never touched, etc. They exchanged gifts.  Vaughn slid her gift bag towards her across the table. Monet did the same then picked it up and handed it to him. During the scene when they read their letters to each other, they were on the opposite side of the couch.  When they were meeting with the spiritual adviser, Vaughn leaned away from Monet.  If that's not a sign of two people who just don't like each other, I don't know what is. They're not fooling me with the "maybe we've turned a tide" BS.

• Love 9

I can see how Monet might get on a guy's nerves because I think she just talks to damn much.  I think she's used to talking with her girlfriends but she's not used to being with a man.  Sometimes, it's nice to just sit and chill together, but Monet just isn't that type of woman.   I don't believe it would have mattered to Vaughn though because I think he checked out from the get go.

• Love 4

After last night's episode my husband and I just wonder why the hell these people signed up for this at all?  Only 2 of the 6 people seemed to actually want and be ready for marriage (Cortney and Doug).  Monet is a bitch and Vaughn is a baby (also, she got a Michael Kors watch and Vaughn's looked like a cheap Swatch Watch) but they keep droning on and on and ON about "turning the page" and "starting a new chapter".  They need to expand their vocabularies. Also, I don't care how great they are "on paper" they hate each other.  If Money grew up in a traditional household where her dad worked and mom was a homemaker, why is she so offended that a traditional husband would expect his wife to cook dinner?

If Jason has such enormous trust issues, why agree to get married to someone you don't know?  Cortney has never given him any reason to think she would cheat, but OMG!  Girls cheated on ME!!  and the conversation switched from responsibility to his mother to a 6 month fire academy time suck and now to possible cheating.  

Oh Doug - he looks and acts like my first husband, which actually makes me have this weird affection for him.  I also get a super strong past sexual/physical abuse vibe from Jamie which will require her to do some hard work with therapy.  I actually like them together, I think he can and wants to give her what she needs, but she doesn't realize that.  She, in a weird way, gives him some incentive to get his life going again and I think they could be happy in the long run.  

• Love 6

Doug is so positive and Jamie is so negative. Some looks Doug gives after he's been berated are so sad. Jamie isn't even being careful in the things she says. I wish Doug would turn the tables on her and let her know he's not going to tolerate her behavior and her excuses. She can do what she wants and have all the problems and issues. Seems like the marriage choice is her decision only. It's all about her and what she wants. Does she ever consider Doug at all?

• Love 6
It's all about her and what she wants. Does she ever consider Doug at all?

Well, last night she did mention the possibility of Doug not wanting to be married to her, but I got the sense that she was just saying that for the audience.  Frankly, I don't think she gives a rat's ass about what Doug wants 

• Love 3

If a traditional man (read: Vaughn) wants a wife whose duty is to cook, he'd better be ready to be the "traditional" husband (read: is the only one who has to have a full time job). I work full time and I am exhausted at the end of the day. I don't have the energy to make my own dinner, much less feed others.  I'm sure Vaughn is also tired and wants a cooked meal after a day of work. Guess what, Vaughn? Monet and I also want to enjoy a cooked meal after work. 

• Love 9

Yes Crazychicken that's me on the other site, it wouldn't let me use the same name. Those folks are unbelievable, especially the Doc.

I didn't even bother to respond when he actually responded to my post about Jamie being contacted by the producers. Obviously either he's lying or Jamie is.

If I was Doug's mom and seen how he lets Jamie treat him I would not want him with her regardless of how much he claims want to be with her. He would seriously have to answer why?

If Jason is now going to back track I hope Cortney lets him ago. I was married to someone kind of like Jason, mixed signals and always changing their mind about being in a relationship. It's too much emotionally

• Love 1

Well, last night she did mention the possibility of Doug not wanting to be married to her, but I got the sense that she was just saying that for the audience.  Frankly, I don't think she gives a rat's ass about what Doug wants 

Which is why it would be hilarious if Doug gave her the heave ho with the words, "I will never be able to live up to your standards and you are going to hold my lie against me forever. Good luck on, The Bachelor: Your Pad or Mine?"

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 3

If I have to hear about the goddamn Fire Academy ONE MORE TIME....

I know! Like he's the only person in the world who's had to juggle work, school and family responsibilities. Either Jason is full of crap, or else he never had any intention of going past the contracted 5-week mark. I'm betting he never even told his sick mother of his involvement in this show and that's why he never told Cortney his mother's name, let alone introduce them.

There's something wrong with all six of these newlyweds (don't get me started on the experts, either) . Even Cortney, who is the only one with a little bit of sincerity, is obviously deluded and kookooluks.

I don't find Jamie beautiful or even pretty. To me, she's got a real witchy look to her nose, mouth and teeth. But beauty is in the eye, of course. However, Doug's puppy-dog BS is often attributed to the fact that he can't believe a beauty like Jamie was paired with him. I don't get it! I want to see a couple of his exes. Were they trolls? Did they all look like his mother? What?!

And the stand-up comedy business is obviously the real reason Doug took part in this "experiment." We ain't stupid, people.

No matter how this show ends now, no matter who might decide to "stay married" now, I won't believe a word of it. This thing was a big old piece of sham-apalooza from the outset. Maybe even the "experts" were conned. They seem awfully naive and unworldly to me. Like simpletons.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5

I'm going to be a bitch & say it, I find Doug pathetic. Yes, that's just my opinion, but there it is. His gift was him doing stand up? Seriously? If I was unsure about his desire to get face time for his wished for career I'm not now. Also the small bit of the routine we were shown was cringe worthy. Jamie's gift, vain as it was, at least had the pretense of righting the wrong of the horribly uncomfortable wedding day pictures. Yes, Jamie has issues. Issues that I think must be pretty deep & dark, but since I'm viewing this as a reality show for entertainment I find her snotty remarks funny. Obviously the experts would have trouble with my psyche.

No matter how many times the experts try to reassure me that Vaughn & Monet are compatible I'm not buying it. No really they are! We mean it! We did tests. CIA type tests. We're experts. They don't even seen to like each other. I think Vaughn's wording was right, civil is the best they can hope for.

I feel sorry for Courtney. She seems to want this & believe in the possibility. I'm not so sure about Jason. Btw, did y'all hear he's going to the fire academy? I did think their gifts seemed like they actually have gotten to know each other, but who knows, TV editing can be so deceptive.

FYI MAFS educational tip of the week: anniversary gifts are important you guys! A etiquette lady back in the dark ages, way before the internet, said so. She even made up a bunch of categories with appropriate crap for each year. Good luck getting to the diamonds though. You have to make it to 75 years together. Although Courtney seemed to be the only one who got the memo that the first anniversary is paper. Of course that's the first year, but hey it's only a limited run show so she did what she had to.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 9

What do you think about the romantic gifts each couple exchanged?  

It may just be me but it looked like the watch Vaughn gave Monet was a man's watch.  It had a folding clasp and was huge.

I am still confused.   I would like to know how Monet and Vaughn can have sex, but she never touches him???????  She cannot even be affectionate which is what he needs to feel loved.   I don't blame him.     She is too busy being right than having a right relationship.

Doug would be lucky if Jaime did not stay with him.   She has too many unresolved issues and both she and Monet get nasty when they are upset.   (Name calling, emasculating to the men)

Jason needs to put his big boy pants on and stick with Cortney.   I think he does not have his mom meet her because he is not sure about staying in the marriage.   If mom meets Cortney, then it is a reality for Jason.   He can't handle it.

oh well next week will tell.

• Love 1

No matter how many times the experts try to reassure me that Vaughn & Monet are compatible I'm not buying it. No really they are! We mean it! We did tests. CIA type tests. We're experts. 

That's pretty funny!

And no way are we going to continue thinking these couples are real even though Courtney is giving off some heavy vibes...

• Love 1

I thought Vaughn's "It's not a bomb, is it?" comment was funny when Monet gave the box to him.  That was a big-ass watch he gave her.  It might be the style nowadays, but I have the feeling that if he really was interested in her he would have bought her a smaller, more feminine-looking watch.   

I think Jamie is attractive sometimes, and sometimes she does look like a witch.  I think she would look better without the fake eyelashes

• Love 2

Jamie tweeted a month ago that she and Doug waited weeks to have sex, then quickly deleted the tweet. So I assume things went kind of well in that regard.

I think all three couples may stay married after the episode. That's why the reunion will be interesting because it is 5 months after the "experiment." I assume at least one couple will be divorced. I think Vaughn and Monet have different geographies and don't want to deal with the distance.

So I looked up Cortney's burlesque group, The Hot Box Girls. After the pages of porn, it looks like she may not even be a featured player. I think she mostly just does the make up.

• Love 2

I'm going to split it down the middle and say: both Monet AND Vaughn are very selfish and self-centered. You really can't make marriage work with that being an overwhelming characteristic of both parties.

I couldn't be one of Monet's friends. She appears to have to be the center of attention and she basically yells everything she says. I hate to be around people who are so over-the-top intense about every.single.thing. They never let you talk or express anything different from them. Been there, done that, hated it and moved on.

• Love 7

Jason's gift to Cortney was really sweet and something that signifies wanting a long relationship. But, and I said this earlier, if he didn't intend to stay with her than I personally see the gift as a cruel set up.

Doug's gift was confusing to me. I think everything Jamie does is about making herself look good.

Do t know why Vaugh & Monet even exchanged gifts.