Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: A Hundred Years Ago

• Start Topic

"And Just Like That Season 2 Episode 8 has been given its much-anticipated release date and time. The news has definitely generated anticipation and rumors among devoted fans who are looking forward to the next chapter in the lives of their favorite characters." - Olivia Wilson TV Acute

The upcoming episode, “A Hundred Years Ago,” will premiere on the HBO Max (now MAX) streaming service. The eighth episode of “And Just Like That” Season 2 is scheduled to air on August 3, 2023. 12:00 AM PT 3:00 AM ET

• Thanks 1

Now Carrie thinks Big was as mistake?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok then.

I totally felt what Seema was going through and understood. No one wants to be the third wheel. 

Edited by Surrealist
I can't get rid of the spoiler tags. Meh.
  • Like 13
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1

Stray Thoughts While Watching

Carrie mostly cares that the property in Virginia is acceptably upscale, right? Even then, we know she's not leaving New York for Norfolk, Virgina (I can already hear some cheesy 'New York/Nor-folk' pun grinding in MPK's head).

Once again, the ages of Aidan's kids make no sense in the timeline when they last saw each other thirteen years ago. Don't make me watch the movie again but I don't recall those were three toddlers he showed her in that picture over dinner in Abu Dhabi. They're all still living at home with dad, even though their parents are divorced and they should be college aged or college bound-age, right?

Miranda can keep ALL of her relationship advice for anyone else to herself, forever and always moving forward.

Sorry, I'm not taking a cookie that's been half-eaten.

Che... from Netflix 'comedy concert' star to vet receptionist in a year? Okay then.

I literally thought that this episode started the morning after their first night together again but Carrie says she and Aidan have spent a fortune on hotels. How much time has passed? Because again, that means a lot of time passed before Charlotte told her kids she was working again and this just makes no sense.

Okay, according to Anthony, it's been more than a month since Giuseppe started working for him. Time on this show MAKES NO SENSE.

How could Che still afford to own that apartment? I would think that would have been the first thing they'd have unloaded (not just AirBNB'ing) for an influx of cash.

So instead of spending a fortune on hotels, now they're spending to furnish the AirBNB? But... they're still also paying to use Che's place, right?

What a waste of John Glover, though I always love seeing him.

Why does Carrie care what anyone, let alone building randos, think of her & Aidan using an AirBNB to the point of using fake names? Seriously, I wouldn't GAF.

And I guess this show will never mention the name 'Stanford' ever again.

Was that Allison Williams working in the gallery?

From intern to acting director at HRC? Has anyone writing for this show ever worked in an actual office?

WE GET NO GLIMPSE OF AIDAN'S FARM AFTER ALL THAT????

ETA: The trailer for next week's episode was this episode. Weird.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

So what was that look Aidan gave Seema when she walked into the restaurant? If he was a cartoon character his eyes would be bugging out and his heart would be visibly thumping out of his chest. I hope that was just an odd acting choice on Corbett's part and not a preview of an upcoming plot but you never know with these writers.

Seema looked like a smokeshow in that scene. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

Let me get this straight...

Seeing a squirrel outside Aiden's cabin in upstate New York was cause for Carrie to scream bloody murder,

...but stories of a chicken inside his vintage red brick  farm house in Virginia on his son's bed are  utterly charming?

The scenes of Miranda reporting in to her internship and Whatever Happened To Baby Charlotte shopping for a dress  and trying it with spanx and then ditching the spanx were a total bore.🥱

Carrie (who is now so fulfilled and sexually satisfied as never before) realizes she ruined her connection with Aiden in the past by holding  a part of herself back...

Will she do some soul searching and figure  out why  she blocked her blessings? because that sure is  a mystery...

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

🙄

• Like 7
  • LOL 14
2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Why does Carrie care what anyone, let alone building randos, think of her & Aidan using an AirBNB to the point of using fake names? Seriously, I wouldn't GAF.

I will answer this random question.  I thought they were reacting to the being caught by the neighbor in using an illegal AirBNB.  Visitors are told to tell anyone that catches them that they're relatives.  That was confirmed when Che got a call from the neighbor or landlord complaining.  I wasn't paying close enough attention. 

• Like 12

The “writers” seriously need to stop trying to rewrite the past. It’s insulting us. Carrie can admit Big’s faults while still being grateful for the time they had.

It would have served Miranda right if she didn’t get the intern job back. But all her co-workers hate her, so there’s that.

1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

So what was that look Aidan gave Seema when she walked into the restaurant? If he was a cartoon character his eyes would be bugging out and his heart would be visibly thumping out of his chest. I hope that was just an odd acting choice on Corbett's part and not a preview of an upcoming plot but you never know with these writers.

I don’t want them to ruin Aidan and Seema too, but if he winds up cheating on Carrie with her, I will laugh my ass off because that will be the perfect kind of karma.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

It's funny, because I thought in that last conversation between Carrie and Seema that it felt like Seema was getting an exit-from-the-series edit.

Seema's an even bigger snob than Carrie, though, so I can't imagine her and Aidan unless it's just a drunken hook-up. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

That conversation with Seema and the broker and the picky client was so snoozy I just tuned out.  Ridiculous snobbery and stupidity. 

I don't understand the internship situation.  Is it a public interest legal job?  Were those interns also lawyers? 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

The “writers” seriously need to stop trying to rewrite the past. It’s insulting us. Carrie can admit Big’s faults while still being grateful for the time they had.

Exactly. I liked Big, so the actor got in trouble, do not confuse him with the character FFS. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, T Summer said:

She absolutely declares to Che that she made a mistake, when Che asked why this didn't work out the first time.

Isn't the obvious answer here that, regardless of Big and $$$, Carrie and Aidan were at a stage where the different things they wanted in life made them completely incompatible. Aidan wanted children and to raise them at least in part out of New York with a very child centred family life. Carrie was at most, utterly ambivalent about children. And if she did have one/them would have wanted to stay in Manhattan, with a much more adult centred family life. But realistically she was happier childfree. It made sense for them to split up then. As Aidan's youngest should actually be older at this point, it is possible that with that active parenting part of his life pretty near it's end, that Carrie and Aidan may work out now.

It isn't unheard of for exes to get back together following divorce/widowhood when the issues that made them wrong for each other initially are no longer relevant. It's similar to the main characters at the end of a very unpopular ending of a certain sitcom. It was an unsatisfying ending for the audience, as they did dirty on a surprisingly great character played by a deeply charming actress. But it did make sense as something that could easily happen in life.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

It is a mistake for Carrie to say Big was a mistake.  He was right for her at that time of her life, and Aiden was not.  Aiden wanted a different life than Carrie did, and those differences can pull any couple apart, regardless of how well they work otherwise.  Carrie needs to stop focusing on what she did in the past and just move forward.  if it works for them now, the semi-frequent spending time together one place or another, then great.  

The whole fake name thing for Che's apartment was stupid.  why not use their real names?  not like anyone is going to google "Carrie and Aiden" are they? that was a good solution to the 'can't hang at Carrie's apartment' problem Aiden has and Che hates her renters.  

I'm not sure how i feel about Charlotte feeling ok with her weight/belly only after she sees that her supervisor is heavier, but i didn't like it.  Yes, Rock and Lily don't mind right now that charlotte isn't home as often, but i'm sure something will come up where they realize how much she really did for them.

glad someone told Miranda to stop belittling herself and remember she's a very experienced corporate lawyer, who can run circles around those sniping interns.

I get Seema not wanting to spend the summer with Aiden coming up all the time (or even semi-frequently).  she wanted a generally 'couple-free' summer with Carrie.  I still wonder what happened to Carrie and Big's Hampton house. 

• Like 19

Aiden absolutely should not be planning to take Carrie home to introduce him to his kids, he should be running away as fast as he can. Where are Aiden's friends? If my friend was getting back together with someone who broke their heart not once but twice, I would be staging an intervention ASAP. I always really liked Aiden and he and Carrie certainly had their moments, but they were just not suited for each other, even beyond the various shitty things Carrie did. I guess now that Aiden already has kids and they're both older it might go better, but I'm still not sure Carrie will take to being even slightly close to the country, even with a fancy farmhouse. Of course Carrie has to make sure his place is a fancy farmhouse. 

I really don't like that they had Carrie say that she might have made a mistake marrying Big, I don't buy that at all. They could have her get back with Aiden without having to shit on a marriage that seemed to be a happy one for about fifteen years or so. Between this and Steve, why is this show trying to retcon away every couple as being a huge mistake that we were apparently never supposed to like?

We had John Glover this whole time and we haven't been using him?! I can feel for Seema not wanting to be the third wheel, but it feels like they are getting ready to write her out, which feels really weird with how much time we have spent with her. 

At least Miranda finally remembered that she started this show wanting to get into fighting for equality before she ended up getting fingerbanged so hard she forgot all about social justice. Of course she manages to go from intern to running the place in about five seconds, I guess I should feel bad that the other interns are being mean to her about something that isn't technically her fault, but I'm still so annoyed by her that I can only smirk. She really has a lot of nerve telling Carrie that she might be moving too fast with Aiden, hello pot please meet kettle. I thought for a second that she might admit to Carrie that moving so fast with Che was a mistake and that she should learn from her, but nope. 

So Che has gone from being Netflix special famous to working as a receptionist and crashing on their grandma's couch? It makes sense to me, as their career has never made sense to me, Che is about as funny as a root canal, but it seems like a very abrupt dip in fortunes over one failed pilot.  

• Like 17
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, T Summer said:

And now this? Carrie wonders aloud to Miranda if Big was a big mistake? She absolutely declares to Che that she made a mistake, when Che asked why this didn't work out the first time.

I took her "I made a mistake" to that specific question from Che as referring to her cheating on Aiden with Big. Not that in general she made a mistake in choosing Big (though I know she brought that up in an "I wonder if..." discussion with Miranda earlier in the episode). Just my interpretation.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So Che has gone from being Netflix special famous to working as a receptionist and crashing on their grandma's couch? It makes sense to me, as their career has never made sense to me, Che is about as funny as a root canal, but it seems like a very abrupt dip in fortunes over one failed pilot.  

I agree on their level of hilarity (zero) but a crisis of confidence is killer for performers. Was it ever spelled out if they're quitting stand-up or just taking a break to regroup and the vet job is just to tide them over until they decide what they want to do?

I will say, I really like vet employee Che a lot better than stand-up Che.

Edited by SHD
  • Like 12
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Perhaps they spent all their money on weed.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
3 hours ago, AllyB said:

It's similar to the main characters at the end of a very unpopular ending of a certain sitcom. It was an unsatisfying ending for the audience, as they did dirty on a surprisingly great character played by a deeply charming actress. But it did make sense as something that could easily happen in life.

I think I know which sitcom you're referring to and I'm hoping that Hulu doesn't end the sequel the same way.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Ok, I just started the episode but I had to stop and take a breath. Did Miranda seriously just crack about how Carrie being traumatized by Aiden's place upstate "means she's still her"?! Says the woman who has gotten an entire personality transplant and refuses to hear any push back about it?! 

And yet I press play again, like the masochist that I am. 

My exact reaction. 

There's no real character growth here - just retconning, penance, and ploys. All at the service of a massive cash windfall. 

The absolute gall to play to other side of the aisle by trying to make Carrie seem like she regrets Big - all evidence to the contrary over the past 24 years. As I usually say at least once an ep: GMAFB. He was ALL Carrie wanted, and if he climbed out of the grave tomorrow, Carrie would run straight from Norfolk to NoHo to get to him. 

Playing house with kitchen appliances is not "being on the same page" - Carrie is role playing. She DID make a mistake in cheating on Aidan - that was terrible, disrespectful behavior - but it was proven 10 times over that she and Aidan were simply not compatible! I don't buy a word of Carrie's new "realization" no matter how hard SJP tries to sell it. 

History (and fans) will not judge AJLT kindly. Destroying and perverting your source material - and the loyal viewers who granted them all that success - should have consequences. I can barely watch original SATC eps knowing what they did to the characters in this series. I think this will go down as the worst reboot of all time. 

Chris Noth should be thrilled they got rid of him after one ep. I wouldn't want my name on this.

Why have John Corbett's acting skills declined as much as Kristin Davis's? It's amazing to me how subpar almost all the acting is here. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Like 20
  • Love 3

AJLT will forever remain in the same category as Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life. Everything I loved about both these series has been annihilated in the reboots. And just like the GG reboot, which I will never watch again, I won’t watch this again, even tho I watch both original series on a loop. 

• Like 14

Veronica Mars and X-Files were 2 of my very favorite shows ever, and the reboots--both of which I was so excited for--nearly destroyed them. The X-Files less so, as I still love to watch the original series, but Chris Carter seemed determined to ruin what made so many of us love the show so passionately. And VMars...I can't even watch the originals anymore, and I regret that I gave $$ to fund the movie, even though I liked the movie. But the reboot of the series, the way it ended, what Rob Thomas decided to do to Logan? Ruined it. Killed it. I'm still bitter. I swear, these creators really love to kill their darlings. 

MPK isn't the creator of SATC, but maybe he just wanted to kill Darren Star's darling? I don't know. I don't hate this as much as many do, but I don't...like it, either. It definitely ruined Miranda, and watching SATC repeats of Miranda and Steve's love story, which now we've been told wasn't real. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Even though Carrie telling Che that she made a mistake certainly could be a comment related to her infidelity during their relationship, I got the impression her using the exact same wording  and inflection as she'd just done with Miranda was referring to choosing a life with Big and not Aiden. I could be wrong, of course.

I thought it tied right in with what they were attempting to show in that earlier convo with Miranda on the street.  Carrie burst right  out of the gate saying that she's having such great orgasms. Orgasms as never before with anyone, even Aiden!

The SATC  scene in the hotel elevator  with Big  played out with sounds of hearts pounding in the background vs the  later one where Carrie stopped the action with Aiden in that very quiet bedroom   frustrated by his  moaning noises  or something seemed  to indicate she didn't have  near the kind of chemistry with Aiden that she'd always  had with Big.

So now they tell us things are much hotter with Aiden,  and Aiden was really the one she was always meant to be with. Nevermind what you [the audience] thought you saw play out before, that was just Carrie holding back a part of herself blocking the passion  she could've had with Aiden.

🙄

• Like 12
  • Applause 3

I'm happy to say I'm not watching S2, just reading the discussions here. Sounds like MPK and his cohort continue to cash in on beloved characters without any respect for those characters' histories.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, luna1122again said:

And VMars...I can't even watch the originals anymore, and I regret that I gave $$ to fund the movie, even though I liked the movie. But the reboot of the series, the way it ended, what Rob Thomas decided to do to Logan? Ruined it. Killed it. I'm still bitter. I swear, these creators really love to kill their darlings. 

Don't even get me started on that.  That was such a slap in the face to viewers.  And for what?  To just ruin the show?  I hate when show creators think they know what viewers want.

So Carrie got to marry Big and live a privileged life and then he dies and she gets all that money.  

So Aidan got to get married and have the kids he wanted and then gets divorced.

So now Carrie and Aidan get the happily ever after they both wanted all along? So Big and Aidan's wife were just people to give them things they wanted at the time.  You know until they could get back together.  Give me a fucking break.

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Don't even get me started on that.  That was such a slap in the face to viewers.  And for what?  To just ruin the show?  I hate when show creators think they know what viewers want.

So Carrie got to marry Big and live a privileged life and then he dies and she gets all that money.  

So Aidan got to get married and have the kids he wanted and then gets divorced.

So now Carrie and Aidan get the happily ever after they both wanted all along? So Big and Aidan's wife were just people to give them things they wanted at the time.  You know until they could get back together.  Give me a fucking break.

It could have been handled so much better. Despite their history, they could have worked it for them to somehow be together without destroying Carrie and Big's marriage (I don't know enough about Mrs. Shaw to comment). 

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I'm happy to say I'm not watching S2, just reading the discussions here. Sounds like MPK and his cohort continue to cash in on beloved characters without any respect for those characters' histories.

I could have written this. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

• Like 6

I was kind of shocked at Carrie saying she made a mistake. 

The thing is, she was a lot younger and was obsessed with Big still.  Not that she isn't annoying AF as a 50 something, but it's amazing how when you're young you think you can change a man, and the guy who treats you well is the one who gets dumped.  I don't think the writers are dumping on Noth, they're just trying (badly) to justify her getting back with Aidan and it working this time. TBH, tho, I'm more shocked Che would say that in front of Aidan.  But then, that's Che. Open mouth, insert foot. 

I think Miranda filling in for the director makes sense. She was a lawyer for 30 years or so, those two young women are probably right out of college, and the one couldn't even get some facts correct. Miranda took an intern position so she could work for the organization, she is much more qualified to fill in than two young women who are right out of college. 

Besides the fact they're rude AF.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I forgot to even factor that in, though I've stated many times Aiden only became a viable candidate for Carrie now that he's sold his furniture company to West Elm and is well off.

So Big took her from a place where she had to hit up her friends for a loan  so she could buy her apartment, to being uber wealthy where  she can  work at her writing if she pleases. She doesn't ever need to worry if her book(s) will be commercially viable   or about anything, really. She not only can't even muster a 'but the memories are beautiful' she's telling anyone who'll listen that marrying Big was a big mistake? Damn. That's cold!

3 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

History (and fans) will not judge AJLT kindly. Destroying and perverting your source material - and the loyal viewers who granted them all that success - should have consequences.

Now you know how MPK and his sycophants will spin this, don't you? They'll  say this is the first show to feature two gender non binary characters  just as Ellen was  the first network TV show to feature a gay main character, and should be celebrated for doing so.

If anyone dares bring up all the retconning, rewriting  and character assassination going on they'll just say the audience is a bunch of backward bigoted homophobes who just don't get it.

🙄

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

My random thoughts while watching:

Charlotte kept saying "it's not the dress, it's the belt" and complaining that the belt rode up too high - but if I saw correctly, she could have loosened the belt a couple of notches, no? 

The "comedic" fumblings of Doug Brad and Janet were not so comedic (did Che write this material?)  If asked, sure, say you're Che's cousins, but their little routine was so suspicious and ridiculous for two supposed adults. 

Speaking of Che: seriously, Che?  You're going to ask Carrie and Aiden straight out why it didn't work out between them?  Who does that? These people don't talk like people sometimes. 

Normally love Anthony, but I don't find conversations in which people talk past one another (as with Charlotte discussing being a "gallerina" and Anthony talking about how Giuseppe made his "sourdough rise") very enjoyable. 

I thought Anastasia and Kai at the gallery were going to be Charlotte's version of the resentful interns with whom Miranda had to deal. 

And lastly: was that a repeat of THE JACKET on Aiden, when they were shopping for housewares?  If so, it looked miles better unbuttoned and unbelted. 

The space conversation between Seema and Carrie was fantastic. Carrie not wanting to lose her one friend who is close in age to her without kids was beautifully done without stating the obvious. Without Samantha, Carrie is an outlier among Charlotte and Miranda and while they never make it a thing, it's always good to have someone who can relate to being a woman in this world who has not become a mom. I also loved Seema immediately shutting down whatever "you'll find a great love" platitude that Carrie was going to spout, that never makes someone feel better, it just serves to reinforce that the person isn't working hard enough to find that love. Some people never get that and it's ok acknowledge that, hell, it's necessary.

• Like 18
  • Applause 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, AllyB said:

Isn't the obvious answer here that, regardless of Big and $$$, Carrie and Aidan were at a stage where the different things they wanted in life made them completely incompatible. Aidan wanted children and to raise them at least in part out of New York with a very child centred family life. Carrie was at most, utterly ambivalent about children. And if she did have one/them would have wanted to stay in Manhattan, with a much more adult centred family life. But realistically she was happier childfree. It made sense for them to split up then

What are your thoughts on why Aiden and Carrie (who were age appropriate)  never actually got as far as the conversation about whether to have children? [If you feel like sharing them, of course]

We know Aiden was hyped about being a dad because she ran into him carrying his first son in a sling  on his back when she was meeting up with  Berger. That and him proudly showing her photos of his 3 kids at dinner in Abu Dabi.  ...and we know he preferred staying home to going out to clubs because there was a SATC episode all about that.

Carrie and Petrovsky even had the convo about whether life together would  include having children or not.

It's always been my contention that Carrie's actions showed  she  was never going to marry someone who wasn't wealthy, even though Charlotte was the one who was more upfront about it.

Edited by T Summer
typo
  • Like 5

(this is going to be a rant based off my personal experience, I have very strong feelings feel free to ignore)

The whole Airbnb stuff in this episode made me so mad. I have a lot of feelings about this after living next door to an illegal Airbnb that took almost 2 years to get shut down. If we're supposed to believe that Che is a good person and is concerned about being woke then Airbnbing is the exact opposite of how you portray someone like that. As if I could like Che even less this episode makes me so mad. Also I hate that such an awful company is getting so much (presumably free) advertising, they are genuinely the worst company they hollow out neighbourhoods and don't give 2 figs about what they do to communities or people as long as they're making profits. Genuinely hope Che loses their apartment over this but given the blase way the show presented them doing this I doubt there will be consequences

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Exactly. I liked Big, so the actor got in trouble, do not confuse him with the character FFS. 

At this point, I would not be suprised if they brought back Brenda Vaccaro's assistant character - remember her in that weird one-off from S1? - to claim that Big was harassing her for decades.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, AllyB said:

It isn't unheard of for exes to get back together following divorce/widowhood when the issues that made them wrong for each other initially are no longer relevant. It's similar to the main characters at the end of a very unpopular ending of a certain sitcom. It was an unsatisfying ending for the audience, as they did dirty on a surprisingly great character played by a deeply charming actress. But it did make sense as something that could easily happen in life.

Oh that ending was horrible in multiple aspects. Not only did they build up to the mother for 9 seasons only to kill her off in the last 10 minutes of the show, no they also broke up Robin and Barney in those same 10 minutes, after we had just suffered through an entire freaking season of their wedding. And the thing is Barney and Robin were perfect for each other. To break them up they had Barney acting completely out of character. In fact it is kinda comparable with the whole Big-thing this episode. Just trampling on a character and relationship, to get to your weird end goal.

On top of that the show had shown like 5 times over why Ted and Robin were wrong for each other and it wasn't just temporary things. They just didn't fit. It would be like if Carry had broken up and gotten together with Aiden 5 times and every time a new aspect of how wrong for each other they were, was revealed.

As for Carry and Aiden, yeah that seems fine, I guess, but the writers really didn't have to piss all over Big's grave to make it happen. You can find love again after your partner dies without thinking your 15 year marriage was a mistake.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I literally thought that this episode started the morning after their first night together again but Carrie says she and Aidan have spent a fortune on hotels. How much time has passed? Because again, that means a lot of time passed before Charlotte told her kids she was working again and this just makes no sense.

In fairness, just a single night in a top NYC hotel costs a fortune. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, rlc said:

In fairness, just a single night in a top NYC hotel costs a fortune. 

In unfairness, that didn't look very top. Small room with very bland old-style decor and a nice view of the next buildings wall in 2m distance.

• Like 5

The children factor is a good thing to bring up if the show had ever had the guts to state outright that Carrie never wanted kids. But they haven't, have they? When the russian guy brought it up in Season 6 she said she always thought she might, but everything we've ever seen has told us that she never had any interest or desire to be a mother.

And that's fine. I just wish they could have her say it out loud. There's still some sort of shame factor regarding women in our society who never have kids, or worse, never want kids. Carrie is one of those women but she hasn't said it. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
2 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I just wish they could have her say it out loud. There's still some sort of shame factor regarding women in our society who never have kids, or worse, never want kids. Carrie is one of those women but she hasn't said it. 

I remember pretty clearly in the second movie, she defended herself to a couple at the Stanford/Anthony wedding who couldn't believe Carrie and Big didn't have/want children by saying, 'It's just not for us.' At the end of the movie, they have this exchange:

Carrie: It's gonna be just us two. Are we enough?
Big: Kid, we're too much. How's that for a little sparkle?

While she never had a monologue about being child-free, she definitely dealt with - and pushed back against - the judgment for that preference.

• Like 15

I liked this episode. I thought that everyone who has previously been highly annoying was at least toned down. Miranda and Che are both more likeable when they are separate--Che comes off as warm and supportive at the vet office, and I felt for Miranda and those interns. (I get why they were peeved at her presence, but obviously texting about someone in front of them is stupid, mean, and immature.)  And I thought the scene with Seema and Carrie outside the salon was beautifully written and acted. I really believed them as good friends in that moment, and I loved Seema's authenticity. I think Carrie's "I made a mistake" line was more about the infidelity, and I can also see her saying that when she's still in the haze of this new relationship. 

My biggest complaints are that I nearly fell asleep when Aidan and Carrie were shopping for housewares. What a blah scene. And Nya???? And Lisa???? Just no meaningful storylines. 

I love Anthony and Guiseppe! 

Edited by AKimbo
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I think Miranda filling in for the director makes sense. She was a lawyer for 30 years or so, those two young women are probably right out of college, and the one couldn't even get some facts correct. Miranda took an intern position so she could work for the organization, she is much more qualified to fill in than two young women who are right out of college. 

Besides the fact they're rude AF.  

I try not to let tv shows bother me, but this show making Miranda apologize more than once about her privilege in this internship really bothered me.  Miranda's character paid her dues in law firms for 30 years.  That's not privilege.  That's a lot of hard work for probably longer than the other two interns have even been alive.

• Like 14
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

At this point, I would not be suprised if they brought back Brenda Vaccaro's assistant character - remember her in that weird one-off from S1? -

No? S1 SATC ?

9 minutes ago, T Summer said:

No? S1 SATC ?

No, Vaccaro appeared as the deceased Mr. Big's former assistant Gloria Marquette in (my bad) two episodes during S1 of AJLT: 'Little Black Dress' and 'When In Rome.' Remember that Stanford and Anthony were shooting her death glares for crying during the wake? 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

No, Vaccaro appeared as the deceased Mr. Big's former assistant Gloria Marquette in (my bad) two episodes during S1 of AJLT: 'Little Black Dress' and 'When In Rome.' Remember that Stanford and Anthony were shooting her death glares for crying during the wake? 

Ohhho. Kind of?

I was thinking I'd missed her playing his secretary in s1 of SATC . thanks

• Like 3