Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: A Hundred Years Ago

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I had to laugh, it's like MPK told someone "find a city in Virginia that has short, direct flights to NYC". They might have picked Roanoke (LOL!), at least that general area has mountains/rolling hills and old houses, and an airport.

I'm pretty sure they chose Norfolk so they could do that whole thing of Carrie mistakenly googling houses in Norfolk England.

And that is indicative of what is wrong with this show. They come up with something they think is funny or cute or whatever and then use that to do a story around it.   Miranda losing her phone.  Charlotte eating a pot brownie.  Carrie mistaking Norfolk England for Norfolk Virginia.  

One thing SATC did so well is during the episodes the four women would usually have their own stories but there was a thread that tied them all together.  That is sorely missing on AJLT.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

And it's so dumb to tout/promote Air BnB when they could have easily altered the story to simply have Carrie offer to switch apartments occasionally with her and Aidan paying and Che staying at Carrie's for free. Illegal subletting is still illegal subletting, so Che still would have asked them to tell the neighbors they were visiting/"cousins" whatever.

AND mentions that Big owned a house in the Hamptons! So yes, why not at least have Carrie mention that she sold it or that it's rented full-time?

And/or they had a secret love child who now has a claim to his fortune.

And where is Lisette??? She was a good antidote to all these other eye-rolling, rude younger women.

I totally get it. He bought that apartment to live in with Carrie and invested sweat equity in it as well. They spent a lot of time there even though he didn't fully move in. I had a very similar situation with a house, including that I never moved into it after putting money and work into it. If my ex and I had reunited years later and he was still living in "our" house after having lived in it with a (ex)wife (the one he cheated on me with), I would never have entered that house again. Too many bad memories.

I get why he is upset.  But my problem with it is that just “never entering the apartment” is not going to fix the problem.  It’s not that simple.  It’s not the apartment.  It’s that he can’t forget what she did to him in the apartment.  Avoiding the apartment is not going to make him suddenly forget.  And if it DOES somehow make him forget, well then, he’s forgetting a HUGE issue in their relationship, and so that’s never going to work.  It will resurface in some other way.  The problems which led to the apartment conflict will still be there.  Even if he never enters the apartment, she still did all that to him.  They’re just papering over the issue, and avoiding it, by staying in hotels/Che’s place. Maybe that’s what the show is trying to say with this plot.  It’s trying to show that they are papering over problems which are still there.  But, I just don’t think real people would DO that, so the plot is not believable and thus the point is lost.    As soon as he realized she was still living in the apartment, and he couldn’t go in there, he needed to realize the relationship wouldn’t work.  Or, he needed to move on.  But instead, he decides it will work as long as he just never goes to the apartment?  No.  Nobody would decide that.  Nobody over the age of 12.  They’re making these characters incredibly dumb.  That worked when they were younger, maybe.  But these are mature people who are experienced with relationships.  We can see the problems a mile away, why can’t they?  Why are they buying kitchen equipment?  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
50 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Exactly! I've visited the Portsmouth/Norfolk area a couple of times in recent years but don't recall any bucolic farmhouse areas. Indeed, it's a rather industrial small port city. Maybe he lives in the "greater Norfolk area", or on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp (there MPK, I've given you a great location name for Carrie to riff on, like with "Suffern").

I had to laugh, it's like MPK told someone "find a city in Virginia that has short, direct flights to NYC". They might have picked Roanoke (LOL!), at least that general area has mountains/rolling hills and old houses, and an airport.

And here many of us were speculating that Aidan and wife had moved to the Virginia horse country, an enclave of the wealthy within an hour of DC. I could understand Richmond, or the area around Charlottesville. But Norfolk? LOL!

It reminds me of the episode of SATC when the prospective adoptee couple come to visit Charlotte and Harry from Charlotte, NC and the show portrays them as rednecks from the sticks. Anthony even has a line calling them "toothless." No basis in reality for the actual city of Charlotte.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

John Corbett is from West Virginia (as was his Northern Exposure character Chris Stevens) so I just assumed they picked Virginia as a nod to that. Weird that they're misrepresenting it, tho. JC would know what it's really like. Not that that means his input, if offered, would be considered. 

Edited by luna1122again
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

John Corbett is from West Virginia (as was his Northern Exposure character Chris Stevens) so I just assumed they picked Virginia as a nod to that. Weird that they're misrepresenting it, tho. JC would know what it's really like. Not that that means his input, if offered, would be considered. 

I am currently sitting at my desk at work in the town JC is from.

SATC and now AJLT has never done a good job when it comes to portraying anyone or anything outside of NYC.  I mean Carrie couldn't believe Miranda was moving to Brooklynn.  Oh the horror.

• Like 9

its sure nice for Che that Aiden and Carrie are rich enough to buy all the necessities and more for her kitchen and bedroom (hangers) that Che didn't supply.  still probably cheaper for Aiden and Carrie than constantly renting hotel rooms and eating $26 omelets.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

We can see the problems a mile away, why can’t they?

The same reason they didn't see the trainwreck that was Miranda and Che.  They don't think there are problems.   Carrie is back to being defined by the man in her life.  They gave us a brief time of Carrie learning to be who she is without her husband.  I lost my husband so I know what that is like.  But how convenient Carrie has another man to fall back on.  Especially now that she realizes her husband really wasn't the right one for her.  

32 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Why are they buying kitchen equipment?

That was such a useless scene.  What was the point?  Them throwing around all that money bothered me.  On hotel rooms.  On Che's place.  Stocking her new kitchen with all that stuff.  They can spend their money how they want but it just didn't look good to me.  Maybe MPK heard all the criticism of Carrie living beyond her means during SATC so he decided to troll us by having her super rich and loving it on AJLT.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm pretty sure they chose Norfolk so they could do that whole thing of Carrie mistakenly googling houses in Norfolk England.

And that is indicative of what is wrong with this show. They come up with something they think is funny or cute or whatever and then use that to do a story around it.   Miranda losing her phone.  Charlotte eating a pot brownie.  Carrie mistaking Norfolk England for Norfolk Virginia.  

One thing SATC did so well is during the episodes the four women would usually have their own stories but there was a thread that tied them all together.  That is sorely missing on AJLT.

Good point about why they likely chose Norfolk. There's a Richmond in both places as well, both with red brick farmhouses, and that would have been a better and more believable place for Aidan to be living. So again, weak writing, low effort.

I know he and Carrie are so into each other that they totally forget Hamptons summer rentals and their own children, but is Aidan ever going to hang out with or even ask about Steve, his old buddy and former business partner?

59 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I am currently sitting at my desk at work in the town JC is from.

SATC and now AJLT has never done a good job when it comes to portraying anyone or anything outside of NYC.  I mean Carrie couldn't believe Miranda was moving to Brooklynn.  Oh the horror.

That really was the attitude of Manhattanites until the mid to late '90s, when  Williamsburg and a few other Brooklyn neighborhoods became hip places to live -- for people like Miranda who couldn't find or afford what she wanted in Manhattan.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

its sure nice for Che that Aiden and Carrie are rich enough to buy all the necessities and more for her kitchen and bedroom (hangers) that Che didn't supply.  still probably cheaper for Aiden and Carrie than constantly renting hotel rooms and eating $26 omelets.  

I did get a laugh at Carrie saying they were wire hangers. SJP said that line perfectly. 

Aidan barely "apologized" for stocking Che's kitchen. I mean, I'm sure Che expects the Nespresso machine will stay when they finally stop "visiting" and Che clearly can't afford to stock their kitchen (although, uh, what was Che using in their previous apartment?) so sure, Che is happy to get the nice, upscale stuff. But Aidan's "privilege" was sure showing when he said "hope you don't mind" so casually, like he wasn't aware that he and Carrie should have asked for minimal permission and told Che they would of course let them keep everything they purchased. They're encroaching and it didn't bug Che but it kinda bugged me. 

Edited by RedHawk
Added stuff, fixed pronouns
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I get why he is upset.  But my problem with it is that just “never entering the apartment” is not going to fix the problem.  It’s not that simple.  It’s not the apartment.  It’s that he can’t forget what she did to him in the apartment.  Avoiding the apartment is not going to make him suddenly forget.  And if it DOES somehow make him forget, well then, he’s forgetting a HUGE issue in their relationship, and so that’s never going to work.  It will resurface in some other way.  The problems which led to the apartment conflict will still be there.  Even if he never enters the apartment, she still did all that to him.  They’re just papering over the issue, and avoiding it, by staying in hotels/Che’s place. Maybe that’s what the show is trying to say with this plot.  It’s trying to show that they are papering over problems which are still there.  But, I just don’t think real people would DO that, so the plot is not believable and thus the point is lost.    As soon as he realized she was still living in the apartment, and he couldn’t go in there, he needed to realize the relationship wouldn’t work.  Or, he needed to move on.  But instead, he decides it will work as long as he just never goes to the apartment?  No.  Nobody would decide that.  Nobody over the age of 12.  They’re making these characters incredibly dumb.  That worked when they were younger, maybe.  But these are mature people who are experienced with relationships.  We can see the problems a mile away, why can’t they?  Why are they buying kitchen equipment?  

I totally agree. I wrote more about the need for them to handle their emotional past in the Spec and Spoilers thread.

This is all Fantasy with a capital F because Big is gone and the filmed "flashbacks" of their relationship (if they really exist) had to be ditched because of the Chris Noth allegations. So no more "beautiful" memories for Carrie and MPK knows many fans wanted to see Aidan again. I guess we should have known when they kissed in the second movie, a move that made no sense from the Aidan we knew. So Big is dead, Carrie needs another Great Love, and fan-favorite John Corbett still looks good. So here we are.

Will their past come back to haunt them and perhaps break them up again one final time? Will he enter that apartment and further the fantasy that he's Mr. Right for Her Now? I think it's 50-50 at this point. But enough, please, no more kitchen shopping! 

• Like 2

That was such a useless scene.  What was the point?  Them throwing around all that money bothered me.  On hotel rooms.  On Che's place.  Stocking her new kitchen with all that stuff.  They can spend their money how they want but it just didn't look good to me.  Maybe MPK heard all the criticism of Carrie living beyond her means during SATC so he decided to troll us by having her super rich and loving it on AJLT.

Maybe I’m giving the writers too much credit but I think it was to demonstrate that Aidan still has domestic/homemaking skills, and that’s something that Carrie finds very attractive about him. 

Yes Carrie has musing but she’s enjoying being “cared for” in that way. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, DrivingSideways said:

Why are they describing Norfolk Virginia as a rustic countryside?

I know others have answered, but the simple answer is there’s Manhattan….and everywhere else is flyover stuff until LA. At least as far as most show writers have shown us.

And if Aiden won’t go into the apartment, how are they ever going to move forward? Carrie will NEVER leave Manhattan and she will NEVER sell the apartment.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 5

Hard for me to believe Carrie and Aidan are already happily ever after, if they intend for the show to keep going for now. Seems like it's moving too fast and it's likely they'd want Carrie single and dating for a while, right? Given the show's premise? I'm suspicious of the speed and seriousness of their reunion, I expect another split.

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Reveal spoiler

In the preview for the next episode Carrie says she is ready to sell her apartment.

I could see Carrie never selling her apartment, but she did sell the one she lived in with John, she still has that money. I could see her wanting another larger place and keeping the old one just because. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, T Summer said:

What are your thoughts on why Aiden and Carrie (who were age appropriate)  never actually got as far as the conversation about whether to have children? [If you feel like sharing them, of course]

We know Aiden was hyped about being a dad because she ran into him carrying his first son in a sling  on his back when she was meeting up with  Berger. That and him proudly showing her photos of his 3 kids at dinner in Abu Dabi.  ...and we know he preferred staying home to going out to clubs because there was a SATC episode all about that.

Carrie and Petrovsky even had the convo about whether life together would  include having children or not.

It's always been my contention that Carrie's actions showed  she  was never going to marry someone who wasn't wealthy, even though Charlotte was the one who was more upfront about it.

True but I doubt she's ever acknowledged that she would only marry wealth even to herself. She wouldn't be consciously aware of that. And even if she was, she wouldn't say that to Che in front of Aidan. It's actually kind of funny that they never discussed kids back then. And they haven't discussed the role that their different feelings about having kids had in them not working out previously. If for no other reason than to justify themselves giving it another try. 

29 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Hard for me to believe Carrie and Aidan are already happily ever after, if they intend for the show to keep going for now. Seems like it's moving too fast and it's likely they'd want Carrie single and dating for a while, right? Given the show's premise? I'm suspicious of the speed and seriousness of their reunion, I expect another split.

I think they'll definitely split up this season. Their relationship is a narrative dead end for the show. Carrie with no money issues makes for dull tv as it is. Carrie with no money issues and a happy new long term relationship would be even worse. 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, AllyB said:

I think they'll definitely split up this season. Their relationship is a narrative dead end for the show. Carrie with no money issues makes for dull tv as it is. Carrie with no money issues and a happy new long term relationship would be even worse. 

I agree. They wanted John Corbett back, and he and SJP do have great on screen chemistry. But this relationship is doomed. Carrie and Aidan are vastly different people, and Carrie’s lonely and heartbroken. I think once she meets his ex wife, and his sons, she’s going to realize that how he lives isn’t compatible with her. Just because you have great chemistry and fun with someone doesn’t mean they fit in for “life sharing”. It’s one thing to have a friend you socialize and have fun with, but something tells me Aidan still wants a PARTNER, although he doesn’t need a co-parent (because he has one in his ex-wife). 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

I did get a laugh at Carrie saying they were wire hangers. SJP said that line perfectly. 

Aidan barely "apologized" for stocking Che's kitchen. I mean, I'm sure Che expects the Nespresso machine will stay when they finally stop "visiting" and Che clearly can't afford to stock their kitchen (although, uh, what was Che using in their previous apartment?) so sure, Che is happy to get the nice, upscale stuff. But Aidan's "privilege" was sure showing when he said "hope you don't mind" so casually, like he wasn't aware that he and Carrie should have asked for minimal permission and told Che they would of course let them keep everything they purchased. They're encroaching and it didn't bug Che but it kinda bugged me. 

so your post sorta touches on what I was thinking. . . 

In the real world (and I know, this show isn't that, nor is it supposed to be), if for whatever reason I might need to borrow a friend's apartment/airbnb for any length of time, they would likely be cutting me a deal on their normal rate or I'd be helping them out b/c I knew they were hurting financially. Even for one stay but definitely if I knew I was going to be staying there off and on, its not unrealistic to think that I would buy some kitchen items or hangers if they weren't in the space. Because that's the kind of things friends do for each other. Especially if one is hurting for money. 

BUT . . .  I would hit up Target, not Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, or any other high-end kitchen store. And I would also let the owner/real tenant know I was doing it and that items would be left for other Airbnb-ers.

And while this show isn't supposed to be real-world, they could have brought in just a few elements of how the real world approaches things to make it just a bit more believable. But we could say that about just about every scene of this entire mess. 

Remind me again why we're all watching this??? 🤪

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

The dismissal of Big seems unhealthy on Carrie’s part.  Casting her life and time with him as a mistake seems like a way for her of eliminating the grief that I don’t believe is yet gone. I can’t help thinking that the writers have in mind some moment when she breaks down a little, when the bubble of “Aiden: Take 3” bursts and she has to acknowledge the force of her life with Big.  I suspect the writers know that and will make it happen, whether things go forward for Carrie and Aiden or not.

Edited by marybennet
  • Like 7
47 minutes ago, AllyB said:

It's actually kind of funny that they never discussed kids back then

Isn't it weird? Talks about marriage, getting engaged, Miranda getting pregnant, the talk about her having ended a pregnancy at 22, Brady's birth... none of these events led into a talk about whether they'd have children?

It's been my contention that Carrie was never going to marry Aiden and she kind of placated him by accepting his engagement ring and not saying no... for a time anyway, for two reasons:

1. Even though they're turning the whole thing completely around now, it never seemed like Aiden rocked her world in the bedroom.

2. Her reaction to the cabin, staying in over nightlife, her love of 2k shoes and designer clothes... I don't think it bubbled that far below the surface that a frugal everyman's life is not what she saw in the cards for herself.

• Like 5

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Hide contents

In the preview for the next episode Carrie says she is ready to sell her apartment.

Spoiler

She seems to say, and do that, a lot! 😆 But she always gets it back….

• Like 1
On 8/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

Why have John Corbett's acting skills declined as much as Kristin Davis's?

For Kristen, I blame it on her face plastic surgery. They've tightened her up so much, she can barely speak and it's gross 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, luna1122again said:

Virginia isn't West Virginia, though. The two states have very little in common IMO.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
25 minutes ago, marybennet said:

The dismissal of Big seems unhealthy on Carrie’s part.  Casting her life and time with him as a mistake seems like a way for her of eliminating the grief that I don’t believe is yet gone. I can’t help thinking that the writers have in mind some moment when she breaks down a little, when the bubble of “Aiden: Take 3” bursts and she has to acknowledge the force of her life with Big.  I suspect the writers know that and will make it happen, whether things go forward for Carrie and Aiden or not.

On another show I would think yes they are going to do that. But on this show?  It could go either way.  

24 minutes ago, T Summer said:

. Even though they're turning the whole thing completely around now, it never seemed like Aiden rocked her world in the bedroom.

Carrie made it sound like she didn't have earth moving sex until now with Aidan.  The woman is in her 50s and never had mind blowing orgasms before? I remember once Carrie and I think Samantha were talking about Big and Carrie made it clear he rocked her world.

27 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Her reaction to the cabin, staying in over nightlife, her love of 2k shoes and designer clothes... I don't think it bubbled that far below the surface that a frugal everyman's life is not what she saw in the cards for herself.

I really hope they show Aidan's house because I want it to be the opposite of what Carrie is imagining. 

Carrie is still the same person. Aidan is still the same person.  So when he comes to town are they staying in with a bucket of chicken or are they going out dressed to the nines?

14 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:
  Hide contents

She seems to say, and do that, a lot! 😆 But she always gets it back….

I am so over Carrie and her multiple apartments.

3 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Virginia isn't West Virginia, though. The two states have very little in common IMO.

I live in WV and this is true.  

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Isn't it weird? Talks about marriage, getting engaged, Miranda getting pregnant, the talk about her having ended a pregnancy at 22, Brady's birth... none of these events led into a talk about whether they'd have children?

It's been my contention that Carrie was never going to marry Aiden and she kind of placated him by accepting his engagement ring and not saying no... for a time anyway, for two reasons:

1. Even though they're turning the whole thing completely around now, it never seemed like Aiden rocked her world in the bedroom.

2. Her reaction to the cabin, staying in over nightlife, her love of 2k shoes and designer clothes... I don't think it bubbled that far below the surface that a frugal everyman's life is not what she saw in the cards for herself.

I think Carrie liked Aidan, being with him was fun and pleasant, but I agree. She had no business trying to get back together with him because she knew he wanted to get married and have kids. They never had the same goals! Aidan was professionally successful but he wasn’t mega wealthy yet and he was conservative with his funds (I was surprised he didn’t own an apartment when they met but he was likely waiting to get married). 

I do think he rocked her world sexually is why she kept coming back. Remember how eager she was to get him into bed when they first started dating?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Carrie is back to being defined by the man in her life.  

Yep. This is what bugs me.

I'd rather watch a series that's all about Samantha and Seema. There are a few parallels between them, but also differences. 

My lifestyle is similar to theirs (without the fat bank accounts). I've never been married and never wanted children. I would love to watch a series that focuses on women over 40/50 with the same lifestyle.

MPK could never write this series, though. I'd trust Darren Star over him.

Sorry to go OT.

Carrie is a simp sometimes whenever a man is in the picture. It drives me nuts.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 13
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

I know he and Carrie are so into each other that they totally forget Hamptons summer rentals and their own children, but is Aidan ever going to hang out with or even ask about Steve, his old buddy and former business partner?

Good point!  I would think they would have seen Steve or had dinner together or something!

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

do think he rocked her world sexually is why she kept coming back. Remember how eager she was to get him into bed when they first started dating?

I see it completely differently, but it's all good.That's  why we all have so much to write about to each other here, lol.☺️

She was growing impatient because he was taking it slow trying to be romantic, because he saw her as the one. She was wondering what was wrong?Writing her column and doing the episode ending  voice over she mused about how she could;ve forgotten about romance.

I already mentioned the elevator scene that kicked off the affair with Big contrasted with Carrie and Aiden's bedroom scene in the same ep that fizzled out. Plus Carrie told the girls at lunch (when little Lily was there) all about how great Big colors and how he rarely colors inside the lines yada yada yada

I got the impression the erotic connection  with Big is what held it together and kept them going back to each other despite him being  older, more conservative and enjoying a whole different social circle.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Aidan was professionally successful but he wasn’t mega wealthy yet and he was conservative with his funds (I was surprised he didn’t own an apartment when they met but he was likely waiting to get married). 

Aiden DID own an apartment.  Remember, he sold it so he could buy Carrie’s apartment and the apartment next door so they could expand it into one big place?  Or … am I remembering this wrong?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, T Summer said:

I got the impression the erotic connection  with Big is what held it together and kept them going back to each other despite him being  older, more conservative and enjoying a whole different social circle.

Same here!  Is wasn’t that they had such an incredible emotional connection and shared vision for the future.  It was that the erotic connection was strong and he was “hard to get” and was a challenge.  In real life, these types of men rarely marry the ones they’ve strung along for years.  And, even if they do eventually get married, the man then goes and cheats with the first hot young thing that comes along and keeps her as a mistress.  The more successful and rich the man, the more apt they are to do this, IMO.

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Carrie made it sound like she didn't have earth moving sex until now with Aidan.  The woman is in her 50s and never had mind blowing orgasms before? I remember once Carrie and I think Samantha were talking about Big and Carrie made it clear he rocked her world.

Thank you! They are doing an AJLT rewrite again. The draw to Big always seemed to be sexual chemistry  and besides telling the girls how he had it going on in that department, she told them she had mind blowing sex with the jazz guy. It was an aberration for her because there was no connection or relationship. Then Samantha up-sexed her by relating her Maria experience.

7 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

Aiden DID own an apartment.  Remember, he sold it so he could buy Carrie’s apartment and the apartment next door so they could expand it into one big place?  Or … am I remembering this wrong?

I don't remember hearing he sold or owned an  apartment, and I've seen each one 20 or 30 times. A lot of that was on E, not HBO though and sometimes they cut out things for time.

Does anyone else remember Aiden talking about selling an apartment?

• Like 4

I think it would be great if Corbett’s wife (partner?) IRL, Bo Derek, played his on-screen ex-wife and that she is a jeans, boots and flannel shirt wearing, horseback riding, down to earth type who grows vegetables and is a great cook … complete opposite of Carrie.  Just like Aiden was the opposite of Big.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, T Summer said:

I don't remember hearing he sold or owned an  apartment, and I've seen each one 20 or 30 times. A lot of that was on E, not HBO though and sometimes they cut out things for time.

Does anyone else remember Aiden talking about selling an apartment?

I don't, specifically, but I assumed he owned his apartment and the cabin upstate. 

29 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

Good point!  I would think they would have seen Steve or had dinner together or something!

I think we are going to see that in a future episode 

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I know they're different states, of course, but I assumed it was still a nod to Corbett's roots, tho I may be completely off base. Somehow I can't even imagine Carrie visiting West Virginia tho. 

Someone said Norfolk is a shit hole tho? Is it? Why, how? The pics I Googled (not of farmhouses) looked pretty. Well, the waterfront anyway. 

• Like 2

I'm watching Law and Order s 11 e5 and Harry's on! (Evan Handler)

9 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

I don't, specifically, but I assumed he owned his apartment and the cabin upstate. 

The cabin upstate? Yes. but I never heard whether he owned or rented in NYC.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RedHawk said:

That really was the attitude of Manhattanites until the mid to late '90s, when  Williamsburg and a few other Brooklyn neighborhoods became hip places to live

And there's colonial Williamsburg in Virginia which is about an hour from Norfolk. I'm from NC and have family members in the Norfolk area. The Navy is a big deal there. My family even the younger ones are on the conservative, religious side. Maybe Carrie can find some likeminded friends there. 

I've not watched yet. I'm enjoying the comments here. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Trillian said:

I just automatically jumped to the conclusion that Director would be on mat leave for at least a year to 18 months and that Miranda would have to do much more than organize a few meetings. 

Under FMLA, eligible employees (of which that director would surely be one) are entitled to take up to three months unpaid leave (which they may cover/be compensated with accumulated PTO - be it sick or then vacation). Their job is protected during this time.

Some states may offer more generous versions of FMLA that expand that leave time. States may not limit the leave time that the federal law guarantees.

In addition, an employer can decide to provide extended leave time on their own accord but given the crucialness of this position, would need someone filling in for most, if not all, of that time.

I could believe they would bring someone like Miranda - or maybe Miranda - in on a contract basis with the expectation she would cover the boss' FMLA absence. But there'd be no reason to pretend otherwise and just spring it on someone like Miranda. Establish first thing that she's not a peer to the other interns and have her working with the boss right out of the gate (well in advance of when that leave starts, though).

With the caveat that normally, you'd do something like this with someone who had more than a passing professional familiarity with the organization from the inside and who absolutely had the bona fides but not the need to take over that position full time. For example, when we had a vacancy in a vital position, someone who had formerly filled that role and since left the company to work freelance returned on a limited time basis to fill the role until a decision was made as to a new full-time employee to take it over about four or five months later.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The same reason they didn't see the trainwreck that was Miranda and Che.  They don't think there are problems.   Carrie is back to being defined by the man in her life.  They gave us a brief time of Carrie learning to be who she is without her husband.  I lost my husband so I know what that is like.  But how convenient Carrie has another man to fall back on.  Especially now that she realizes her husband really wasn't the right one for her.  

I’m having trouble with the money they throw around.  I know it’s not real life but I wish Carrie would lose all of her money somehow.  

And I hate Big and I’m glad he’s gone but Aiden is such a dork, with the weird things he does like the flexing.  Uugh.  She should have tried harder with Mr. Hargitay! (Bicycle guy)

5 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Under FMLA, eligible employees (of which that director would surely be one) are entitled to take up to three months unpaid leave (which they may cover/be compensated with accumulated PTO - be it sick or then vacation). Their job is protected during this time.

Some states may offer more generous versions of FMLA that expand that leave time. States may not limit the leave time that the federal law guarantees.

In addition, an employer can decide to provide extended leave time on their own accord but given the crucialness of this position, would need someone filling in for most, if not all, of that time.

I took 6 weeks paid, 6 weeks half pay (given by my employer- pathetic) and then 12 weeks unpaid and there’s nothing like adding people to the household and losing some of the income.  Get it together US!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Given the type of organization she is in, she may have between 6-12 weeks, I doubt she will have 16.  

I mentioned this in a previous comment but under federal law (FMLA), 12 weeks leave is protected for medical reasons (including pregnancy/birth).

• Like 2
Just now, TakomaSnark said:

I mentioned this in a previous comment but under federal law (FMLA), 12 weeks leave is protected for medical reasons (including pregnancy/birth).

there's a minimum number of employees though to qualify for FMLA.  I think its 50.  if the business is smaller than 50 employees, they don't have to follow FMLA.  and no business is required to pay a thing for maternity leave and many don't.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Random:

So happy to see Aidan graduated to black boxer briefs instead of the awful tighty whities. Those are deal breakers.

Carrie still has her pink suitcase...is it floral? Lipstick kisses? It'd be 20 years old or something. Is it Vivienne Westwood? It's very Barbie. 

Speaking of, the VW wedding gown box made an appearance.

Has anyone ever had a garlic chocolare chip cookie?

I did laugh at the Brad/Janet Rocky Horror thing. 

Anthony and Charlotte on the phone not listening to a word each other said as they lamented their individual woes was funny. 

Loved LTW's purple yellow turquoise combo

Screenshot_20230803_204637_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

there's a minimum number of employees though to qualify for FMLA.  I think its 50.  if the business is smaller than 50 employees, they don't have to follow FMLA.  and no business is required to pay a thing for maternity leave and many don't.

The HRC absolutely meets the legal threshold.

ETA: Worth noting its headquarters are in D.C., whose paid family leave act guarantees 12 weeks for a medical condition, as well as 12 to bond with a new child (not sure if, like under OFLA, you can run those twelve weeks consecutively). My guess is HRC would offer the same benefits package in New York as it is required to offer in D.C.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 1

WTF was up with those two bratty interns? They can clearly see that Miranda is considerably older than they are and she even mentioned she’d been a lawyer for 30 years. Yet they think she should be treated like a complete newbie?!

I had one of those once. A coworker (who was, BTW, not a particularly good coder) was clearly ticked off when I transferred in and was immediately put in charge of a project that had some tricky aspects. She didn’t seem to grasp that this was because I had 11 years more experience than she did, including quite a bit that was relevant to the project. As far as she was concerned, because she’d been in the group for 5 years it should have gone to her. Head, meet desk.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

And I hate Big and I’m glad he’s gone but Aiden is such a dork, with the weird things he does like the flexing.  Uugh.  She should have tried harder with Mr. Hargitay! (Bicycle guy)

I agree about Bicycle Guy.

I never liked Big and Aidan. I wish they'd let the two ride off into the sunset.

Also I think Carrie losing her money would be an interesting storyline. I'm guessing most widows don't come away with millions after their spouse has died.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Also I think Carrie losing her money would be an interesting storyline. I'm guessing most widows don't come away with millions after their spouse has died.

I'm sure Big had others managing said money. If someone embezzled and left Carrie broke, I think it would be great.

I never cared for the character BEFORE the money, but since she is now wealthy and only seemed interested in Aidan once she realized he now had money, Carrie just screams gold digger. I'd love for her to be left as she started. With tons of shoes and living check to check, even as she pretended otherwise.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
40 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm sure Big had others managing said money. If someone embezzled and left Carrie broke, I think it would be great.

I never cared for the character BEFORE the money, but since she is now wealthy and only seemed interested in Aidan once she realized he now had money, Carrie just screams gold digger. I'd love for her to be left as she started. With tons of shoes and living check to check, even as she pretended otherwise.

Agree 100%.

From your lips to MPK's ears. 

I expect the sun to nova before he ever does something like that with her character. But yeah, I've always felt she's a golddigger, despite the fact she's a published author.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Lola82 said:

What was the deal with the salesperson being bitchy to Charlotte? She gave her attitude the moment she walked in. 

Seemed to me like it was because Charlotte was an "older woman" and, in that girl's eyes, fat. That's why she brought out the horrid blacks shapeless dresses that Charlotte ordered away, calling them "muumuus".

As someone pointed out, not a great way to act if you're working for commissions. And Charlotte isn't fat. 

• Like 8
5 hours ago, T Summer said:

Oh I agree with you. But I also think she had a good chemistry with Aidan and that’s why although they weren’t compatible she kept coming back.  Kind of like Steve and Miranda. 

4 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I think it would be great if Corbett’s wife (partner?) IRL, Bo Derek, played his on-screen ex-wife and that she is a jeans, boots and flannel shirt wearing, horseback riding, down to earth type who grows vegetables and is a great cook … complete opposite of Carrie.  Just like Aiden was the opposite of Big.

I’d love this. 

5 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I thought Aidan was renting. He owned the cabin but was waiting to be married/engaged to buy his primary residence. He bough Carrie’s apartment and the one next door to make a home for them because she loved living there and agreed to marry him. 

• Like 2
On 8/3/2023 at 10:27 PM, bichonblitz said:

Does she not remember his cabin in Suffern? People

I confess to not having been a regular viewer of the original show, but did they really claim that Aiden had a log cabin in Suffern, NY?   It’s the town over from where i grew up, the area is very suburban, I can’t picture anyone having a log cabin there.  But I guess anything is possible?

I never liked Big (nothing to do with Aiden who from my limited viewing I was indifferent to), but to me, Big was the definition of “he’s just not that into you”, but it was always clear that Carrie loved him and I think it’s bizarre for a widow to claim their relationship was a mistake.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

It makes sense in that the other two did not have a graduate education and also had zero work experience.  If I ran an organization like that, I’d certainly trust a 30-year lawyer with sitting in on meetings, etc., especially with regard to how she would comport herself.  And, at least here in an America, lawyers don’t specialize, we are all trained to do everything. Sure, we tend to have experience in one area, especially if we’ve worked a long time, but if she has a law degree, she can easily be brought up to speed. Litigation is litigation, no matter the subject.

I agree that Miranda's long-term experience (didn't she make partner at her firm?) no matter what type of practice - trumps an intern's experience, who may have the book learning but not yet seen or know how things work in practice. 

Law schools teach legal principles for various subject areas, but not everything. Interns may be able to research the law, check citations, spot issues, or even write about the law that goes into briefs or memos.  But interns may not know the mechanics - how to draft a persuasive brief or memo, take a deposition, try a case or prepare it for trial.  What goes into a contract or settlement agreement. etc, etc. Typically, law schools don't teach practicalities - they teach law in general. Experience (or other attorneys) will teach them that.  Law school's only the jumping off point. So Miranda has it all over the interns. 

I don't agree, however, that attorneys "get trained to do everything" or "litigation is litigation" - that's the biggest reason dabblers who try to do a little of everything step into it & bring on malpractice lawsuits against themselves or their firm. They don't catch problems or conflicts of interest - don't know where to look for them. Or bring lawsuits in an area they're unfamiliar with - maybe don't know a statute requires an expert be designated in a required topic by a required time frame - & the case dismissed before it ever gets to trial - so the client has to sue the attorney for screwing up the case if there's ever to be a recovery - from the attorney's hide as the actual perpetrator was able to skip out on a technicality.  

Law firms may handle one certain area of law or specialize within departments, depending on their size. But generally, you're either a litigator & in court, or a transactional attorney who rarely or never sees the inside of a courtroom.  Attorneys may practice in more than one area, but usually related ones. A criminal defense attorney may do civil rights work.  One who drafts trusts & wills or does estate planning may also litigate disputes of those.  But rare, for example, to see a family law attorney take on corporate work or mergers & acquisitions. If they know their limits. With malpractice insurance premiums high, who wants the risk?

As for Miranda's new insecurity & shy acceptance of challenges - Who IS this person??  And what a gut punch when Carrie questioned whether Big was a mistake.  Whaaaaat??!! After 20 years??  I'm really hating where the writers are taking this show.  I hated it last season, but really confounded this season.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1