Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: A Hundred Years Ago

• Start Topic

Okay, to me, this episode was the most old SATC vibe yet. I enjoyed it. People had actual conversations that said things. There was actual emotion! 

While I'm still mulling over the "Was Big a Mistake" thing, Carrie was also the most herself she's been in 2 seasons. She was bubbly and giddy and happy, which she hasn't had the chance to be. I bought it. She and Aidan felt genuinely sweet to me. 

Of course they're probably going to crash and burn, and of course Aidan shouldn't go back for round 3, but for now, I actually do like them. 

Miranda and Charlotte were also more themselves this week. I liked Che. I liked Seema (and loved seeing John Glover--yet another Molly Dodd alum). And the conversation between she and Carrie out in the rain was really really good. Good writing, good acting, I loved it. 

Big was always, to me, a mistake-- he couldn't commit, she had to change her personality to be with him, etc, and the show should have ended with them NOT together. But it didn't. It gave them a happy ending, a marriage, apparently a good one. For them to try to retcon that now is wrong, and alienating to the fans. 

If the writers who constructed the Seema/Carrie scene are also crafting this part of the story, maybe they'll actually handle it well, but I have my doubts. I kept waiting for Miranda to say "of course you loved Big. You were happy. You can acknowledge you love both of them" or something. But let's not erase her loving Big the way they've tried to erase Miranda loving Steve. 

I don't believe for an instant that Charlotte doesn't wear shape wear every day of her life. She just would. 

I loved Charlotte's black n white coat, and frankly, I would kill for this coat of Carrie's. 

Screenshot_20230803_204736_Chrome.jpg

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

So what was that look Aidan gave Seema when she walked into the restaurant? If he was a cartoon character his eyes would be bugging out and his heart would be visibly thumping out of his chest. I hope that was just an odd acting choice on Corbett's part and not a preview of an upcoming plot but you never know with these writers.

I didn't read it that way at all. While I'm sure he registered that Seema is a sexy woman, to me that look was all about Carrie, that he knew about their conversation and knew how much it would mean to Carrie that she showed up. I could be wrong, of course. 

That wasn't Allison Williams in the gallery, but she did resemble her, which was kind of fun, since Marnie was also a gallerina. 

I really do want to see Aidan's farmhouse. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Hanahope said:

It is a mistake for Carrie to say Big was a mistake.  He was right for her at that time of her life, and Aiden was not.  Aiden wanted a different life than Carrie did, and those differences can pull any couple apart, regardless of how well they work otherwise.  Carrie needs to stop focusing on what she did in the past and just move forward.  if it works for them now, the semi-frequent spending time together one place or another, then great.  

I agree. Aidan wanted to get married and have children, Carrie did not want to marry him and have children with him. Them breaking up was the best thing for them at the time. BUT in Carrie's defense I can see why she is wondering if Big was a 'big mistake."

Big caused her SO much emotional turmoil, Big strung her around for years, Big hurt her, and at the end they did have some good years together, and he certainly uplifted her financially, however she is now alone again. I could see how in her loneliness she could envision how life with a man like Aidan, who wouldve loved her and treated her well, and STILL BEEN ALIVE (although he wasnt as wealthy as Big he is successful) looks attractive. It's a good thing that Carrie didnt want children, because the reality is women have a smaller reproductive window to decide and more to lose if they decide to choose a poor co-parent for their children. Many a woman has spent years waiting on a "fool" who mislead, hurt them etc, and let go of someone who actually loved them, and if they had children, of course they dont regret their children, but life is a lot more difficult. If they didnt have biological children and really wanted them (or decide to use a donor or adopt) there is often regret there.

Edited to add- this reminds me of something my great aunts told me, I think they always knew I was a little "different" and likely wasnt going to get married, but they wanted me to know "if you get married, choose a man that loves you more than you love him. you do need to love him and be attracted to him or you will be miserable, but make sure he loves you MORE, you are the prize." In an alternate reality (lets say 100yrs ago) where a woman in Carrie's position would've HAD to marry someone, an Aidan would've been a far better/safer choice than maybe kinda hoping a Big type would eventually make his mistress his wife. Thankfully we live in a society and an economy where women can make choices not to get married, or if they marry the wrong person they can get divorced and its not social/financial ruin, but I was reminded of that. 

4 hours ago, T Summer said:

What are your thoughts on why Aiden and Carrie (who were age appropriate)  never actually got as far as the conversation about whether to have children? [If you feel like sharing them, of course]

We know Aiden was hyped about being a dad because she ran into him carrying his first son in a sling  on his back when she was meeting up with  Berger. That and him proudly showing her photos of his 3 kids at dinner in Abu Dabi.  ...and we know he preferred staying home to going out to clubs because there was a SATC episode all about that.

Carrie and Petrovsky even had the convo about whether life together would  include having children or not.

It's always been my contention that Carrie's actions showed  she  was never going to marry someone who wasn't wealthy, even though Charlotte was the one who was more upfront about it.

Aidan most certainly always wanted children, and I think if Carrie had gone ahead and married him, they wouldve been divorced in less than two years because she had no desire to be a mother and that wouldve been what they divorced over. OR it might have been an opposite sex Trey/Charlotte situation, if there was any trouble conceiving, Carrie would've been "I am out, not interested in adoption, its not meant to be.'

I thought Charlotte's storyline was realistic. For the record I always thought Kristen Davis/Charlotte had a lovely figure and they dressed her so well, and I think now Kristen Davis is still so pretty and has a great body. But I think anyone, no matter how attractive they are may feel a certain way if their body changes. I would've suggested buying a new pink belt that was a little bigger to give the look  she was going for but to be more comfortable. 

• Like 10

I'm puzzled by the look Aiden gave Seema. I'm sure it's just an odd acting choice and won't mean anything in the plot but...... That was a very odd acting choice!!!!!

I watch a lot of soppy Chinese series and that's the classic look they have with the male lead first lays eyes on the beautiful female lead. It was so bizzare.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm puzzled by the look Aiden gave Seema. I'm sure it's just an odd acting choice and won't mean anything in the plot but...... That was a very odd acting choice!!!!!

I watch a lot of soppy Chinese series and that's the classic look they have with the male lead first lays eyes on the beautiful female lead. It was so bizzare.

I interpreted the look the same way @luna1122again did, Seema is a sexy and gorgeous woman, and although Aidan is a gentlemen and not a jerk that would creep on Carrie's friends, he has eyes. He also knew how Seema felt about their relationship so he knew it meant a lot for her to come. 

Additionally I have noticed that many heterosexual men just assume women have men falling all over them constantly, especially if the woman is "conventionally attractive". Yes that might mean a woman will get approached more, but that doesnt make it easier to find true love.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, SHD said:

I took her "I made a mistake" to that specific question from Che as referring to her cheating on Aiden with Big. Not that in general she made a mistake in choosing Big (though I know she brought that up in an "I wonder if..." discussion with Miranda earlier in the episode). Just my interpretation.

I just viewed her comment as something said when her relationship with Aidan is new, seems to be going really well and it's caused to wonder if things could have always been like this, and if it was a mistake to go back to Big.  I viewed it more as a "the road not traveled" than taking her deadly serious and believing she was truly regretting her marriage and the last twenty or so years of her life. 

1 hour ago, SoTheresThat said:

I try not to let tv shows bother me, but this show making Miranda apologize more than once about her privilege in this internship really bothered me.  Miranda's character paid her dues in law firms for 30 years.  That's not privilege.  That's a lot of hard work for probably longer than the other two interns have even been alive.

If she was working for a law firm, she paid her dues, but this a totally different type of organization.  That isn't to say her past experience isn't valuable and gives her an advantage, but she also will have a steep learning curve.  Mind you, if the choice to be temporary supervisor is between she and the other interns, she obviously wins based on experience and maturity. 

30 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

frankly, I would kill for this coat of Carrie's. 

The whole outfit was a good one for her.  

I really did like Seema and Carrie's talk in the rain.  I think Carrie is scared of losing her, like she did Samantha, where the friend just kind of drifts away, and it was nice to see them just have a grown up discussion.

• Like 7

Oh, Carrie. ALL of your relationships were a mistake. The common denominator is YOU.  Except post it note Berger. His insecurities got the better of him.

Can't wait till Carrie sees the farmhouse and meets Aiden's kids. She certainly has a way of fantasizing things when she wants to. The big awesome pricey  renovated farmhouse and his kids will love her and all will be perfect with the world. Does she not remember his cabin in Suffern? People don't change that much. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

You can find love again after your partner dies without thinking your 15 year marriage was a mistake.

I agree with all the commenters suggesting that Carrie and Aiden weren't right for each other then, but could be now. It frustrates me after people have divorced to hear them suggest they "never loved" the person. It's usually just retconning to justify the end of the relationship, but to hear a widow who wrote a book about grieving say that? It makes no sense. I also don't think Che was appropriate to ask about why it didn't work out given that they had just met Aiden.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

In unfairness, that didn't look very top. Small room with very bland old-style decor and a nice view of the next buildings wall in 2m distance.

It would have been hilarious if Carrie and Aidan’s whirlwind hotel tour took her from the same swanky to dive hotels that she cheated with Big in.  

Carrie absolutely enjoys having rich boyfriends, ostensibly she doesn’t need them anymore since inheriting Big’s wealth but the way she was drooling when telling the gals about Aidan’s lucrative West Elm deal…

Literally LOLs on my part when they suggested that Carrie would actually care about Aidan’s kids.  The series emphasized *multiple times* how much Carrie didn’t want kids.  

You are Brady’s literal godmother, why don’t you check on how that hell-child is doing and take the opportunity to set him straight.

That was a lot of screentime and effort on the show’s part to get Charlotte into an extremely ugly outfit.  It was like the Pink Ladies from Grease meets Rizzo from Grease meets fug city.

Also, seriously, you are starting a new job for the first time in years and the impression you want to make is peek-a-boo lace for your boobs?   It’s called being professional, Charlotte, not world’s oldest professional.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
7 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

That was a lot of screentime and effort on the show’s part to get Charlotte into an extremely ugly outfit.  It was like the Pink Ladies from Grease meets Rizzo from Grease meets fug city.

Also, seriously, you are starting a new job for the first time in years and the impression you want to make is peek-a-boo lace for your boobs?   It’s called being professional, Charlotte, not world’s oldest professional.

I liked the dress. I think she should’ve gone up a size and it would’ve looked better, with a bigger belt but it was cute. The neckline was illusion lace (double layered) which I think was appropriate for the work place at an art gallery. The woman that showed her around had her midriff exposed, and the other women were wearing very short things so I think Charlotte’s outfit was appropriate for the location. 

• Like 14
16 minutes ago, Litnit said:

It frustrates me after people have divorced to hear them suggest they "never loved" the person. It's usually just retconning to justify the end of the relationship, but to hear a widow who wrote a book about grieving say that? It makes no sense.

I don't know that was what Carrie said.  I think she was questioning choosing the relationship with Big , but I never got the sense she was claiming she never loved him.

14 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

I thought Charlotte's outfit was entirely appropriate.  The only thing I would tell her is that if she concerned about her stomach, there likely were other outfits that she could have chosen, that she would have liked, which could have dealt with the issue and wouldn't look like the outfits the salesgirl brought over.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Stray Thoughts While Watching

C

Che... from Netflix 'comedy concert' star to vet receptionist in a year? Okay then.LL THAT????

Makes no sense that Che's not on the road as a comic after having a Netflix special. I've known a few people who've done Netflix/HBO/Comedy Central comedy specials who never had to go back to "day jobs." They're not big names now but they are often working as either  supportingTV comedy actors or TV comedy writers.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I liked Charlotte's dress, except for the bow and neckline, but because I thought it looked too prissy and buttoned up. You can't even see her cleavage. That's  one very sedate hooker. 

I never wanted kids, don't really like them, in general, but I'm auntie to my BFF's 2 daughters, and I love them, especially now that they're late teens/early 20s. We've seen Carrie be affectionate with Charlotte's girls. I imagine she can fake it with Aidans boys if she has to. 

Screenshot_20230803_234638_Chrome.jpg

Edited by luna1122again
  • Like 1

I always liked Big more than Aidan in SATC, but I'm not making too much of Carrie's what-ifing. It's consistent with her character...which I can't say about everything that's been done on AJLT. She always wanted what she didn't have, second-guessed herself, and had reactions that were too extreme when something was still in early days and was going really well (or the opposite—at the slightest sign of trouble).   

The story with Charlotte and her outfit was dumb. As numerous people here have said, she just needed a different belt of the same color. She acted as though the one she had on was the only one in New York City.  

I liked Miranda's story with the jealous interns. This character seemed more like OG Miranda.

Anthony and Giuseppe...I don't know what that's about. Middle-aged gay male wish fulfillment? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought that Selma’s reluctance to go to the dinner and then Aiden’s looks when she came in meant that they had a past. Apparently not…

That's what I thought too.  Why couldn't they have a past?  It reminds me of stuff that happened on other shows with similar plot lines.  My husband pointed out that this felt just like what they did 20+ years ago, only this time Aidan can be the one to do Carrie wrong by hiding a secret with Seema and she will get what she deserves.  I can't see how the show is playing this out to mean anything but that they are going to crash and burn at some point.  They are going too fast, not thinking about reality, not paying attention to the lessons they supposedly learned the first two tries, especially those about why they're not right for each other and STILL are not right for each other.  It's yet another force-fit relationship on a show already full of force-fit plots and characters, only this time I think it might be done for the purpose of showing that neither of them are using their heads and are going off half-cocked. 

And Carrie asking if Big was a mistake - how much escapism is she engaging in to seriously ASK that question?  She was never unhappy with Big that we know of.   One would think that after how many years of marriage she would have shown some signs of dissatisfaction, but if she had any she certainly never showed it to the audience.  Up until this point I actually thought this episode was a step in the right direction for the show and that perhaps TPTB had really done some soul searching and actually listened to the criticism of the fans, and this was evidence of that.  And then they go and make Carrie crap all over Big's memory!  I hope it's just to show us how far gone Carrie is in la-la land with Aidan rather than an actual realization.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

choose a man that loves you more than you love him

The overall sentiment your great aunts had is different, but there was totally an early ep of SATC where some friend we only met for the one episode where she got married cynically told Carrie to marry someone who loves you more than you love them. Obviously your aunts were being way more positive to you lol.

The biggest thing this abomination dumpster fire sad excuse for a requel has given me is the knowledge that my SATC Trivia Brain is still far more intact than I ever would have thought.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t want them to ruin Aidan and Seema too, but if he winds up cheating on Carrie with her, I will laugh my ass off because that will be the perfect kind of karma.

This would be hilarious, even though I don't like Aidan and wouldn't want them ruining Seema by pairing her off with him.

They should pair Aidan off with Bitsy. 😉

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Fleegull said:

The space conversation between Seema and Carrie was fantastic. Carrie not wanting to lose her one friend who is close in age to her without kids was beautifully done without stating the obvious. Without Samantha, Carrie is an outlier among Charlotte and Miranda and while they never make it a thing, it's always good to have someone who can relate to being a woman in this world who has not become a mom. I also loved Seema immediately shutting down whatever "you'll find a great love" platitude that Carrie was going to spout, that never makes someone feel better, it just serves to reinforce that the person isn't working hard enough to find that love. Some people never get that and it's ok acknowledge that, hell, it's necessary.

This 1000 times. I felt this scene so much. The conversation about space on a show isn't one I've heard before, but this scene was well done. 

• Like 7
22 hours ago, T Summer said:

Then at dinner when Aiden expressed   his sentiment the book was sad and kind of beautiful she counters with  it was sad, not beautiful. There was no save offered up; like of course our marriage  was beautiful or our time together was beautiful. She just let that sentiment lie there and moved right on to:  time. Time helps.

And now this? Carrie wonders aloud to Miranda if Big was a big mistake? She absolutely declares to Che that she made a mistake, when Che asked why this didn't work out the first time.

I think these 3 are all separate thoughts from Carrie. I agree what's been said here - answer to Che was most likely about Carrie cheating and hesitating which lead to their 1st and 2nd breakups. The "Big mistake" talk with Miranda was Carrie wondering what if...

Remark "sad, not beatiful" before dinner with Aidan was when they just met again and it was specifically about the book. The book was not about the whole relationship of Big and Carrie, but the loss and grief. Aidan pointed out it was written beautifully and Carrie meant, she had actually been at a dark place going through it (not beatiful)

Edited by Kreegah
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Kreegah said:

I think these 3 are all separate thoughts from Carrie.

The remark to Miranda on the street was Big a big mistake? was pretty unambiguous.

When Carrie answered Che's question  why didn't it work the first time? I thought Carrie's response and tone sounded much the same as her convo with Miranda. Of course you could be right and I could be seeing it incorrectly. I guess I'd have expected a little different tone and demeanor if she was conveying that was my fault, I screwed that up. Maybe said with downcast eyes? ...something in her body language or facial expression to convey her guilt.

In this article linked by @bluegirl147 the writer seemed to interpret it the same way:

https://time.com/6301380/carrie-aidan-relationship-and-just-like-that/

"It’s jarring to watch Carrie seriously ask Miranda whether or not her nearly 20-year relationship with Big was a “big mistake” in light of her burgeoning romance with Aidan. It’s even more dismaying to see her double down on the sentiment when she tells Che that the reason why she and Aidan didn’t work out before was because of a “mistake.” Big might not have been everyone’s definition of a perfect partner, but he was Carrie’s." - quote Cady Lang

Now certainly the part about the book being sad and beautiful is again open to interpretation,  but the fact Carrie didn't express the slightest positive sentiment between it was sad, not beautiful and Time. Time helps.  That's pretty telling, IMO. Nothing about having good memories of Big  to keep with her or that he was a good man or anything.  That is pretty odd behavior from someone who lost a spouse of 15 years one year ago.

It came off to me as the TPTB denigrating Big and indirectly but quite purposefully, Chris Noth. YMMV, of course.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I’m sorry but who ARE these people?  Who pays to rent an air bnb, and buys a whole kitchen for it, when one of the parties has A PERFECTLY GOOD APARTMENT that the other is holding too big a grudge to STEP INTO? And also, is only in town a few days a month? A nespresso machine?  Really?  And, somehow, we are supposed to believe this relationship is meant to be, that these two are going to work out?  No.  This whole Carrie/Aidan thing is ridiculous.  If he can’t get over the apartment thing, they aren’t meant to be together.  Nobody in the real world on planet Earth would behave like this!  Why are they shopping for home furnishings?  Both of them have homes!  And now, also, somehow Che is living rent-free because of this crazy doomed couple?  Nah-uh.  Also, I doubt Carrie would still be referring to John, her former husband of 20 or so years, who she called John in the first episode, as “Big.”  She would not.  Also, if she’s any good at Google stalking, she could have easily found Aiden’s ACTUAL HOUSE.  It’s not that hard to look up an address, especially if he owns it.  She just googles “red brick farmhouse Norfolk?”  That’s not how you do that.  There are probably a ton of pictures of red brick houses that come up if you do that.  Do a free public records search like a normal person.  I’m not advocating Google-stalking, of course, but if you’re going to try to find his farmhouse, do it right.  

Miranda- why couldn’t the other pissy interns understand the fact that she’s got 30 years’ experience - as a practicing lawyer - on them and so is much better qualified to do more sophisticated work?  Why does that make her “privileged?”  Are we supposed to buy that, as well?  Her boss is right, and I don’t even understand why Miranda feels guilty for even a minute.  She’s not “privileged,” she’s educated and experienced.  She earned that. Is this what the world is like now?  

Charlotte- I don’t want to admit to how much I related to this plot.  Hope her daughters are not watching her starve herself, though.  It’s not healthy for them to see that (and it’s not healthy for her to do).  Also, the actress is not big in the stomach area, it seems to be her hips/butt area she’s self-conscious about, which is why, even after she took off the belt and the Spanx because she was so comfortable in her body, THEY STILL HAD HER IN THE GIANT COAT, like they always do.  I wish they had addressed the real body issue and shown her without it, but I suppose the actress wouldn’t go for that.  Irony.

Seema- so at least they listened to us and showed her getting her hair washed before the blow dry.  But, you can’t just get up and go outside mid-wash.  Again, WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?  Nobody on planet Earth would behave like this.  I understood her feelings about still being single, and I’m also glad she got over it and showed up at dinner.  And, of course, the new client is going to be her new love interest.   (Is he supposed to be Indian?  Would MPK do that, because he’s so awkward with the whole diversity thing he thinks he has to find someone for her who is also Indian? Is that all he sees when he sees her? Cringe.  Not that she can’t date another Indian person, but still, cringe.)

Lisa- wins the award for No Plot this week.  She …goes shopping with Charlotte.  They really can’t fit all the characters in every episode.

Anthony-  love this plot.  Italian guy is cute, and Mario Cantone brings the funny every time.  

23 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Seema looked like a smokeshow in that scene. 

I also had the fleeting thought that maybe they were going to try to do something with Seema/Aiden and a Carrie love triangle.  Hmmm…

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
17 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Miranda- why couldn’t the other pissy interns understand the fact that she’s got 30 years’ experience - as a practicing lawyer - on them and so is much better qualified to do more sophisticated work?  Why does that make her “privileged?”  

Oh, I wouldn't expect the pissy interns or other green colleagues to appreciate experience. In the last fifteen years, I've dealt with my share of new faces to the workforce (i.e., their first job out of college and/or summer college interns). They absolutely think they know and can do better than the people who have been doing their jobs for a long time, and don't like being put in their places about that fact.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I’m sorry but who ARE these people?  Who pays to rent an air bnb, and buys a whole kitchen for it, when one of the parties has A PERFECTLY GOOD APARTMENT that the other is holding too big a grudge to STEP INTO? And also, is only in town a few days a month?

THANK YOU!

IDK how Carrie is giddy and is feeling all kinds of renewed passions for Aiden, because that weakass baby shit Aiden pulled outside her building would've had the exact opposite effect on me.

You as a visitor to NYC are going to subject me to an indeterminate period of away games... leaving my perfectly comfortable home where all my creature comforts are  and packing up clothes and toiletries and stuff to schlep to hotels at  58 years of age? NO SIR!

Couldn't be me.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

I quite enjoyed the shopping for kitchenware scene, and Charlotte's dress dilemma. But I am unreasonably cross, on behalf of chickens, about that rubbish Aiden spouted about having to lift the chicken up onto the bed.

Unless it is the top bed on a bunk bed, that is rubbish. Chickens can launch themselves a fair distance, if not precisely fly like a bird. Mine fly after a leap for a good 12 feet, chickens commonly roost in trees when there is no other shelter for them, and a bed is not a height that would be difficult in any way for a chicken to jump up onto. Justice for chickens!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
On 8/3/2023 at 2:00 AM, TakomaSnark said:

Stray Thoughts While Watching

Carrie mostly cares that the property in Virginia is acceptably upscale, right? Even then, we know she's not leaving New York for Norfolk, Virgina (I can already hear some cheesy 'New York/Nor-folk' pun grinding in MPK's head).

Once again, the ages of Aidan's kids make no sense in the timeline when they last saw each other thirteen years ago. Don't make me watch the movie again but I don't recall those were three toddlers he showed her in that picture over dinner in Abu Dhabi. They're all still living at home with dad, even though their parents are divorced and they should be college aged or college bound-age, right?

Miranda can keep ALL of her relationship advice for anyone else to herself, forever and always moving forward.

Sorry, I'm not taking a cookie that's been half-eaten.

Che... from Netflix 'comedy concert' star to vet rec

So instead of spending a fortune on hotels, now they're spending to furnish the AirBNB? But... they're still also paying to use Che's place, right?

So instead of spending a fortune on hotels, now they're spending to furnish the AirBNB? But... they're still also paying to use Che's place, right?

What a waste of John Glover, though I always love seeing him.

Why does Carrie care what anyone, let alone building randos, think of her & Aidan using an AirBNB to the point of using fake names? Seriously, I wouldn't GAF.

And I guess this show will never mention the name 'Stanford' ever again.

Was that Allison Williams working in the gallery?

From intern to acting director at HRC? Has anyone writing for this show ever worked in an actual office?

WE GET NO GLIMPSE OF AIDAN'S FARM AFTER ALL THAT????

ETA: The trailer for next week's episode was this episode. Weird.

There is no Air BNB, they are staying in Che’s apartment so she won’t have to rent it as an Air BNB.

Edited by ChattyCathyLA
Screwed up the quote and can’t delete or fix it.

23 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I will answer this random question.  I thought they were reacting to the being caught by the neighbor in using an illegal AirBNB.  Visitors are told to tell anyone that catches them that they're relatives.  That was confirmed when Che got a call from the neighbor or landlord complaining.  I wasn't paying close enough attention. 

8 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

There is no Air BNB, they are staying in Che’s apartment so she won’t have to rent it as an Air BNB.

Well, something here doesn't make sense.

(Evergreen sentiment w/r/t this show.)

But I do recall Che comparing Aidan and Carrie favorably to their 'last AirBNB'-ers in terms of how they treated the place.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 1

I’m thrilled that Carrie finally can admit to herself that Big was a mistake!  He was an obsession, not a real relationship!  I mean, he treated her like an afterthought for years, married someone else he only knew a few months, stood Carrie up at the altar (!) AND CARRIE KEPT TAKING HIM BACK?  She was blinded by her obsession with “getting” this turd, who, when not dating Carrie, was dating vapid model types!  Aiden dated high quality, normal women … not coked up models.  He was ALWAYS the better guy!  

Aiden has aged much better than Big and looks gorgeous!  Plus now he has $$$ since West Elm bought his furniture company!  Carrie can now have the best of all worlds … sweet, rich, and hot!

His reaction to seeing Seema may have been because he was expecting Samantha?  Maybe she just told him they were going to  have dinner with “the girls”? Maybe Carrie didn’t inform him of the rift? 

On another note, anyone else think that Charlotte might be pregnant and not in menopause?  It seems to me that the writers are setting up a “change of life” baby for her, just when her two girls are grown and she’s resuming her former career.

Edited by ChattyCathyLA
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, luna1122again said:

I never wanted kids, don't really like them, in general, but I'm auntie to my BFF's 2 daughters, and I love them, especially now that they're late teens/early 20s. We've seen Carrie be affectionate with Charlotte's girls. I imagine she can fake it with Aidans boys if she has to. 

Yeah- also, Aidan’s boys are teens/grown. 20, 17 and 14. The only one that would be around a lot (as in requires daily parenting is the 14yrs old).  They aren’t little kids who need caregiving and constant attention. I think Carrie would be fine with them. 

17 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

On another note, anyone else think that Charlotte might be pregnant and not in menopause?  It seems to me that the writers are setting up a “change of life” baby for her, just when her two girls are grown and she’s resuming her former career.

No. Charlotte is in her mid 50s. Rock was her “change of life” baby (well not exactly, but she was 41/42 when Rock was born). She’s now 54/55yrs old. 

• Like 6
46 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

She'd be a something of a medical miracle, if so. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought that Selma’s reluctance to go to the dinner and then Aiden’s looks when she came in meant that they had a past. Apparently not…

Maybe Seema knows Aidan's ex wife.

10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I really did like Seema and Carrie's talk in the rain.  I think Carrie is scared of losing her, like she did Samantha, where the friend just kind of drifts away, and it was nice to see them just have a grown up discussion.

And Seema is afraid of losing Carrie. She can see the writing on the wall.  Carrie is already a "we".

2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I don’t even understand why Miranda feels guilty for even a minute.  She’s not “privileged,” she’s educated and experienced.  She earned that. Is this what the world is like now?  

In Cynthia Nixon's mind yes.

2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

This whole Carrie/Aidan thing is ridiculous.  If he can’t get over the apartment thing, they aren’t meant to be together.

The writers have written it as Aidan can't go in Carrie's apartment because of bad memories.  The bad memories were of Carrie.  Not the apartment.  The apartment didn't break his heart twice.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

They are paying Che to stay there.  So she won't have to rent it out as a Air BNB. So it would be like a sublet? Right?

• Like 8

Also on the subject of Miranda, she is waaaaay overqualified for that internship.  Are we to believe (I start a lot of sentences like that with this show) that this was the only job she could get in her chosen field?  Is she doing it because she’s not finished with school?  You know the next move by the writers is going to be to have her take over when the boss never comes back from the maternity leave.  But, if they wanted her to work for this organization, they should’ve at least had her finish school first or, if that would take too long, at least take a PAYING job there as a public interest lawyer while she was also going to school.  There are public interest lawyers, they’re not all corporate types.  She’s doesn’t have to be an intern.  

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Lola82 said:

What was the deal with the salesperson being bitchy to Charlotte? She gave her attitude the moment she walked in. 

I thought so, too. I was trying to figure out if it was some Pretty Woman “you don’t belong here” scenario, but I couldn’t figure out what the problem was. It wasn’t because the store obviously catered to a much younger crowd or because Charlotte and Lisa weren’t dressed in similar styles. Weird. I missed most of the dialogue in that scene because I was concentrating on the saleswoman’s looks of disdain. Not the usual way to earn a commission, for sure.

Serious question, especially directed at American lawyers: would Miranda’s 30 years of experience in corporate law really be worth all that much in a Human Rights practice that she’d immediately be put in charge?  I know American tv lawyers don’t specialize, but surely real ones do, don’t they?  My partner and I are both 30 years post Call:  he does corporate and I went the litigation route and we frequently joke-not-joke we have no idea what the other one is talking about when talking about work. It’s an exaggeration, of course, and the education and experience means we could each get up to speed in the other’s area faster than a layperson, but it would still be a steep learning curve. Did Miranda’s ascent actually make any sense?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

You know the next move by the writers is going to be to have her take over when the boss never comes back from the maternity leave.

If this show gets a third season I'm predicting Miranda will be running for office.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
9 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I thought so, too. I was trying to figure out if it was some Pretty Woman “you don’t belong here” scenario, but I couldn’t figure out what the problem was. It wasn’t because the store obviously catered to a much younger crowd or because Charlotte and Lisa weren’t dressed in similar styles. Weird. I missed most of the dialogue in that scene because I was concentrating on the saleswoman’s looks of disdain. Not the usual way to earn a commission, for sure.

Serious question, especially directed at American lawyers: would Miranda’s 30 years of experience in corporate law really be worth all that much in a Human Rights practice that she’d immediately be put in charge?  I know American tv lawyers don’t specialize, but surely real ones do, don’t they?  My partner and I are both 30 years post Call:  he does corporate and I went the litigation route and we frequently joke-not-joke we have no idea what the other one is talking about when talking about work. It’s an exaggeration, of course, and the education and experience means we could each get up to speed in the other’s area faster than a layperson, but it would still be a steep learning curve. Did Miranda’s ascent actually make any sense?

It makes sense in that the other two did not have a graduate education and also had zero work experience.  If I ran an organization like that, I’d certainly trust a 30-year lawyer with sitting in on meetings, etc., especially with regard to how she would comport herself.  And, at least here in an America, lawyers don’t specialize, we are all trained to do everything. Sure, we tend to have experience in one area, especially if we’ve worked a long time, but if she has a law degree, she can easily be brought up to speed. Litigation is litigation, no matter the subject.  

I’m not sure what kind of law Miranda did before, mainly because as a lawyer, I’m never sure what TV writers think “corporate” law is.  Sometimes I think they think it’s just wearing a suit and pushing papers, and sometimes on TV “corporate” law just looks like litigation to me.  They’re usually in court, because that’s more dramatic.  Real “corporate” lawyers who do mergers or real estate don’t tend to do dramatic courtroom scenes.  But, as I commented above, I think she’s overqualified for this internship.  If she’s studying human rights law, she should’ve gotten a LEGAL internship/clerkship with a public interest organization that paid money.  The other interns would be law students/graduate students.  It makes zero sense that she would take what looks like a college internship like that.  

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

It makes sense in that the other two did not have a graduate education and also had zero work experience.  If I ran an organization like that, I’d certainly trust a 30-year lawyer with sitting in on meetings, etc., especially with regard to how she would comport herself.  And, at least here in an America, lawyers don’t specialize, we are all trained to do everything. Sure, we tend to have experience in one area, especially if we’ve worked a long time, but if she has a law degree, she can easily be brought up to speed. Litigation is litigation, no matter the subject.  

I’m not sure what kind of law Miranda did before, mainly because as a lawyer, I’m never sure what TV writers think “corporate” law is.  Sometimes I think they think it’s just wearing a suit and pushing papers, and sometimes on TV “corporate” law just looks like litigation to me.  They’re usually in court, because that’s more dramatic.  Real “corporate” lawyers who do mergers or real estate don’t tend to do dramatic courtroom scenes.  But, as I commented above, I think she’s overqualified for this internship.  If she’s studying human rights law, she should’ve gotten a LEGAL internship/clerkship with a public interest organization that paid money.  The other interns would be law students/graduate students.  It makes zero sense that she would take what looks like a college internship like that.  

It might be a course requirement that she free interns for human rights law.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If this show gets a third season I'm predicting Miranda will be running for office.

Like, perhaps…Mayor of New York? 

50 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

They are paying Che to stay there.  So she won't have to rent it out as a Air BNB. So it would be like a sublet? Right?

It’s a sublet, I guess, but only for part of the month?  And I guess the building doesn’t allow that any more than they allow Air Bnb

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Serious question, especially directed at American lawyers: would Miranda’s 30 years of experience in corporate law really be worth all that much in a Human Rights practice that she’d immediately be put in charge?

It's not entirely clear what the woman she is temporarily replacing actually does, but I would say the answer is that some of her experiences would transfer, but many would not.  If the job is more about being organized, ensuring whatever topic is being discussed is adequately researched and briefed, and being able to discuss the topic in a knowledgeable way, then Miranda could do that.

52 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So she won't have to rent it out as a Air BNB. So it would be like a sublet? Right?

I would view it more like an AirBNB without having AirBNB as your middleman.  

1 minute ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

And, at least here in an America, lawyers don’t specialize, we are all trained to do everything.

I would disagree.  I do litigation with regards to med malpractice, and have done it for nearly twenty years.  I could probably handle other aspects of litigation with some training, but it would be a steep learning curve if I suddenly tried to jump into a different aspect of the law, like transactional or criminal work.    

• Like 11
31 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Im a lawyer in the financial services industry. I could see Miranda’s 30yrs or Corporate experience being transferable in the sense that she knows how to research, run an office, lead a team, any project management skills she had being a partner/leading junior lawyers. Her filing in for the director with those skills made sense, not exactly because she had skills on the specific SUBJECT matter. But she knows how to read a list of task/delegate/deal with HR, meet deadlines, write what needs to be written etc. 

17 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

If she’s studying human rights law, she should’ve gotten a LEGAL internship/clerkship with a public interest organization that paid money.  The other interns would be law students/graduate students.  It makes zero sense that she would take what looks like a college internship like that.  

Yes! I was wondering what that was about. 

• Like 6

I'm still fascinated by how poorly this show is written.  I still don't understand the scene with the shopgirl pulling bitchy faces. She was THAT upset that Charlotte was picking out a certain outfit?  In real life, she would have been pushing that no-doubt expensive outfit on her, not sneering like a silent film villain from the side.  Having Charlotte ditch her Spanx after seeing her boss' larger body type with midriff on display is like 90's Mento's commercial level stupid.

Why are they describing Norfolk Virginia as a rustic countryside?

Why is Miranda an intern?  Why is comedy concert star Che now picking up OT shifts as a vet's receptionist?  Is the show trying to throw in some working folks?

Why are Carrie and Aiden purchasing an entire fleet of kitchenware for a sex pad?  Are we supposed to think him not wanting to enter her apartment is romantic and sensitive?  Because it's twee and ridiculous.  Grow up.

I'm not even going to get into Carrie regretting Big.  What a horrible way of undoing decades of storylines, and it won't cure whatever nastiness with Chris Noth that the show would like to separate itself from.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Now that I’ve gotten all the lawyers to out themselves as such :) … thanks for your answers.  I guess I just assumed Director was actually running cases, when we don’t actually know what she does.  It’s also just occurring to me that American mat leaves are really short.  I just automatically jumped to the conclusion that Director would be on mat leave for at least a year to 18 months and that Miranda would have to do much more than organize a few meetings. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It's not entirely clear what the woman she is temporarily replacing actually does, but I would say the answer is that some of her experiences would transfer, but many would not.  If the job is more about being organized, ensuring whatever topic is being discussed is adequately researched and briefed, and being able to discuss the topic in a knowledgeable way, then Miranda could do that.

I would view it more like an AirBNB without having AirBNB as your middleman.  

I would disagree.  I do litigation with regards to med malpractice, and have done it for nearly twenty years.  I could probably handle other aspects of litigation with some training, but it would be a steep learning curve if I suddenly tried to jump into a different aspect of the law, like transactional or criminal work.    

I agree that would be hard.  But I think if you’ve done one kind of litigation, you can pretty easily get up to speed with another.  But not with something that’s not litigation, like criminal or transactional.  That I couldn’t easily pick up.  

9 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Now that I’ve gotten all the lawyers to out themselves as such :) … thanks for your answers.  I guess I just assumed Director was actually running cases, when we don’t actually know what she does.  It’s also just occurring to me that American mat leaves are really short.  I just automatically jumped to the conclusion that Director would be on mat leave for at least a year to 18 months and that Miranda would have to do much more than organize a few meetings. 

Three months.  Unpaid.  Why I quit.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
15 hours ago, maggiegil said:

(this is going to be a rant based off my personal experience, I have very strong feelings feel free to ignore)

The whole Airbnb stuff in this episode made me so mad. I have a lot of feelings about this after living next door to an illegal Airbnb that took almost 2 years to get shut down. If we're supposed to believe that Che is a good person and is concerned about being woke then Airbnbing is the exact opposite of how you portray someone like that. As if I could like Che even less this episode makes me so mad. Also I hate that such an awful company is getting so much (presumably free) advertising, they are genuinely the worst company they hollow out neighbourhoods and don't give 2 figs about what they do to communities or people as long as they're making profits. Genuinely hope Che loses their apartment over this but given the blase way the show presented them doing this I doubt there will be consequences

And it's so dumb to tout/promote Air BnB when they could have easily altered the story to simply have Carrie offer to switch apartments occasionally with her and Aidan paying and Che staying at Carrie's for free. Illegal subletting is still illegal subletting, so Che still would have asked them to tell the neighbors they were visiting/"cousins" whatever.

15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

AND mentions that Big owned a house in the Hamptons! So yes, why not at least have Carrie mention that she sold it or that it's rented full-time?

15 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

At this point, I would not be suprised if they brought back Brenda Vaccaro's assistant character - remember her in that weird one-off from S1? - to claim that Big was harassing her for decades.

And/or they had a secret love child who now has a claim to his fortune.

14 hours ago, AKimbo said:

My biggest complaints are that I nearly fell asleep when Aidan and Carrie were shopping for housewares. What a blah scene. And Nya???? And Lisa???? Just no meaningful storylines. 

And where is Lisette??? She was a good antidote to all these other eye-rolling, rude younger women.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

The writers have written it as Aidan can't go in Carrie's apartment because of bad memories.  The bad memories were of Carrie.  Not the apartment.  The apartment didn't break his heart twice.

I totally get it. He bought that apartment to live in with Carrie and invested sweat equity in it as well. They spent a lot of time there even though he didn't fully move in. I had a very similar situation with a house, including that I never moved into it after putting money and work into it. If my ex and I had reunited years later and he was still living in "our" house after having lived in it with a (ex)wife (the one he cheated on me with), I would never have entered that house again. Too many bad memories.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Ha no! The financial services industry and tech have the most generous leave policies (as a generalization) and it’s 16weeks for parental leave. Given the type of organization she is in, she may have between 6-12 weeks, I doubt she will have 16.  

1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

And where is Lisette??? She was a good antidote to all these other eye-rolling, rude younger women.

I liked her! We haven’t seen her for a few episodes. She and Che could’ve interacted when Che was staying at Carrie’s. 

• Like 2

Despite totally understanding Aidan's aversion to Carrie's apartment, I think she need to say a lot more to him than "I made a mistake". They need to have a real talk about their past. Aidan was not without his mistakes but he was honest with Carrie. That talk is not likely to happen I guess, but in real life all this rush to the red brick farmhouse fantasy would need a pause and unpacking of past transgressions. I would not so easily trust someone who had betrayed me in several ways. But then Carrie still married Big, so that's how this show rolls.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
33 minutes ago, DrivingSideways said:

Why are they describing Norfolk Virginia as a rustic countryside?

I've been wondering about this. Again, I'm not watching, but I've been trying to understand what I've read in this thread about a farm or farmhouse in Norfolk?? I've lived in Virginia for almost my entire life. There are plenty of wealthy farm/horse country areas in the state (I happen to live in an area that meets that description) but Norfolk isn't one of them. It's a city and it's on the water.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I've been wondering about this. Again, I'm not watching, but I've been trying to understand what I've read in this thread about a farm or farmhouse in Norfolk?? I've lived in Virginia for almost my entire life. There are plenty of wealthy farm/horse country areas in the state (I happen to live in an area that meets that description) but Norfolk isn't one of them. It's a city and it's on the water.

Exactly! I've visited the Portsmouth/Norfolk area a couple of times in recent years but don't recall any bucolic farmhouse areas. Indeed, it's a rather industrial small port city. Maybe he lives in the "greater Norfolk area", or on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp (there MPK, I've given you a great location name for Carrie to riff on, like with "Suffern").

I had to laugh, it's like MPK told someone "find a city in Virginia that has short, direct flights to NYC". They might have picked Roanoke (LOL!), at least that general area has mountains/rolling hills and old houses, and an airport.

And here many of us were speculating that Aidan and wife had moved to the Virginia horse country, an enclave of the wealthy within an hour of DC. I could understand Richmond, or the area around Charlottesville. But Norfolk? LOL!

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I totally get it. He bought that apartment to live in with Carrie and invested sweat equity in it as well. They spent a lot of time there even though he didn't fully move in. I had a very similar situation with a house, including that I never moved into it after putting money and work into it. If my ex and I had reunited years later and he was still living in "our" house after having lived in it with a (ex)wife (the one he cheated on me with), I would never have entered that house again. Too many bad memories.

I get it but it's still Carrie that hurt him.  The show is making it seem like since Big is out of the picture there is nothing keeping Carrie and Aidan apart.  Her affair with Big was responsible for their first break up but Carrie's fear of commitment (at least to Aidan) was responsible for the second break up.  They are in the honeymoon phase of their new relationship.  But their real differences that were there and are still there realistically should make themselves evident shortly.  But knowing these writers they are going to do the whole made for each other soulmates schtick. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. They completely retconned Miranda and Steve so why not do the same to Carrie and her men.

• Like 7
  • Love 1