Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Subspace Rhapsody

• Start Topic

On 8/3/2023 at 10:07 PM, DrScottie said:

While the cast as a whole was great, Celia was absolutely amazing this whole episode and I really wish Nichelle Nichols were still around so she could have seen it. 

This one and Those Old Scientists where Mariner was fangirling over Uhura!

• Like 3
On 8/4/2023 at 10:10 AM, Affogato said:

There is more to be said about that. Chapel seems to have been Spock's first girlfriend, and he appears to have committed more emotion to the relationship than it deserved, considering how far it had progressed. This would also be his first breakup. Also, growing up he would not have had many ways to learn how to have relationships and how to act when they broke up.

That said, it is perhaps understandable why Chapel acts the way she does, she is happy and doesn't want to feel bad at this time, but if she had been a sensitive and caring person, she would have handled things differently. And she was in some ways the adult to his child. She was kind of a jerk, even if she did not mean to be a jerk and can be forgiven.

I liked the show and the singing, I thought Peck had a good voice, as did many of them. The story was stronger than the songs, but I suspect the fallout will happen later, when people leave the ship or die, this seems to be leading into changes for the crew and storylines.

I will miss the human side of Spock.

Spock is not a child, he’s engaged to someone else (even if they’re on hold for the time being, the betrothal is still intact), and she’s not responsible for him being butthurt for not telling him her news after they broke up. She earned a very rare educational opportunity and has every reason to be happy and nothing to be forgiven for. So tired of the feelings of men being prioritized over the achievements of women. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5
On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 PM, starri said:

I can conclusively say that Paul Wesley is a better signing Kirk than Shatner. 

True, though he was still the weakest singer of the bunch.

Might also be why we didn't get a duet with the Kirk brothers, even thought that would have been a great source of drama and some potential for catharsis.

I originally bailed out on this when Spock first started singing, but so many people on here liked this that I thought I finish it. I loved OMWF and every episode of ZEPL, but this....except for the singing and dancing Klingons, this was made of awful. The only saving grace was that the main cast could actually sing. Oh, and the OMWF references were pretty funny.

ETA: this proves that certain genres should not try to set their dialog to music: police procedurals like Cop Rock and sci fi like ST: SNW.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, tv-talk said:

So basically she's in a sexual relationship with the guy who picked her out of 10,000 other people very likely within 3 months of meeting him. Yeah that's not untoward at all.

to be clear, maybe they truly loved each other, who knows or even cares really. I'm just saying there is no way that situation is a good look for either them and most especially him.

Once again, we don't know the exact situation. We know where we are as of SNW's "Subspace Rhapsody" (Chapel got accepted to do a fellowship with Roger Korby) and we know where we will be as of TOS's "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (Chapel and Korby have been engaged and he has been missing for five years though Chapel hadn't given up hope of his being alive still.)

We don't even (I think) know the exact number of years between the two episodes though someone nerdier than me can try to extrapolate from the respective stardates. 

We can guess and hypothesize that Chapel and Korby form a romantic relationship during this upcoming fellowship, but for all we know in the next episode Chapel reverses her decision to go on the fellowship and she doesn't meet Korby until some indeterminate point in the future. Or they only start dating after the fellowship is over and the teacher-student relationship has ended. Etc. etc. etc.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

We can guess and hypothesize that Chapel and Korby form a romantic relationship during this upcoming fellowship, but for all we know in the next episode Chapel reverses her decision to go on the fellowship and she doesn't meet Korby until some indeterminate point in the future. Or they only start dating after the fellowship is over and the teacher-student relationship has ended. Etc. etc. etc.

Unless JB gets reduced to recurring or leaves the show I don't think we'll see very much of this fellowship.  With all due respect to Chapel fans, she's not an important enough character to follow off the ship into her own separate plotline.  She might leave like La'an did last season and get an episode or two off, but she'll be back soon enough. 

Of course, one big downside for her is that based on TOS this fellowship amounts to a big fat zero for her in the near term professionally - she'll be back in Sickbay doing what she does now, except when Kirk is in charge she won't be a de facto member of the senior staff like she currently is.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, marinw said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember M'Benga singing.

I thought it sounded as if his couple lines were voice-overs, maybe the actor truly, truly cannot sing at all!

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Of course, one big downside for her is that based on TOS this fellowship amounts to a big fat zero for her in the near term professionally - she'll be back in Sickbay doing what she does now, except when Kirk is in charge she won't be a de facto member of the senior staff like she currently is.

Well they certainly arent going to follow TOS with this as that would result in Chapel back in sickbay and going nuts over wanting Spock while he completely ignores her. They already crossed that bridge, arent going to swing back to align with how TOS presented things.

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Unless JB gets reduced to recurring or leaves the show I don't think we'll see very much of this fellowship.  With all due respect to Chapel fans, she's not an important enough character to follow off the ship into her own separate plotline.  She might leave like La'an did last season and get an episode or two off, but she'll be back soon enough. 

It's entirely possible that they will write JB off the show, or Chapel will  defer the fellowship. I imagine that the more likely way they will handle it is like with La'an:: Chapel will have gone on the fellowship between seasons and be back at the start of S3. 

One interesting thing that this episode states is that the current crew on Pike's Enterprise is about 200. Kirk's Enterprise has a crew of 410. Not sure why Kirk's Enterprise has almost twice the staffing. 

But anyway perhaps that would explain that Chapel's less prominent on Kirk's Enterprise-- there are simply more people.

The Doylist explanation of course is the more meaningful one: even with as egalitarian a vision as the TOS crew had for their times, they could not envision a woman having the level of voice of SNW Chapel. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

She earned a very rare educational opportunity and has every reason to be happy and nothing to be forgiven for. So tired of the feelings of men being prioritized over the achievements of women. 

Bit of a straw dog. I don't think I've seen anything on this forum or in the show to indicate that anyone wants to invalidate her happiness at getting the fellowship,  or that she should give it up for Spock. If I were her therapist, though, I'd want her to explore whether she is happy to go on the fellowship or relieved to get away from M'Benga, who she (probably) lied for, and who is a reminder she is not over her ptsd, and relieved not to have to talk about her ptsd with Spock, M'Benga or Pike.

Spock was raised as an alien (in TOS T'Pring sets him up to be killed, out of logic) and is only now exploring his emotions, so he still has his emotional training wheels on. this may actually be one of the big things that makes him put away his bike for good, which he has done in the original series. Also, what upsets him is she doesn't share this good news with him, which is a valid reason to be hurt and a clear sign the relationship is over.

• Like 5

I hated the Buffy musical and I didn’t like this one either. I’m at the “just no” table…however, so many of them can really sing. 

Christina Chong is releasing singles so she definitely wants the music career.

I feel really slow on the uptake, only now realizing La’an’s ancestor will be part of the reason David Marcus dies. (And yet another problem with SNW vs TOS)

Edited by ML89
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

One interesting thing that this episode states is that the current crew on Pike's Enterprise is about 200

That's consistent with "The Cage" though.  Pike complains that it's burden being responsible for 203 lives.

• Like 2

I want to reiterate that Spock isn't broken up, he's still engaged!  Just because she wanted to "take some time apart" does not give him the green light to just move on.  Pretty sure it would take some doing to undo an arranged marriage like that.  I don't really feel bad for him except for the "in public" part of it.  And he brought that on himself.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, ouinason said:

don't really feel bad for him except for the "in public" part of it.  And he brought that on himself.

Can you expand on the quoted part?  I couldn’t see in-show why Spock brought it upon himself that his and Chapel’s breakup was in public.

26 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I want to reiterate that Spock isn't broken up, he's still engaged!  Just because she wanted to "take some time apart" does not give him the green light to just move on.  Pretty sure it would take some doing to undo an arranged marriage like that.  I don't really feel bad for him except for the "in public" part of it.  And he brought that on himself.

So at some time in the next season, we can expect Spock to be telling T'Pring "We were on a break!!"  (not raising his voice of course)

• LOL 9
11 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Can you expand on the quoted part?  I couldn’t see in-show why Spock brought it upon himself that his and Chapel’s breakup was in public.

Just prior to going into the bar, Spock and Uhura are talking about figuring out how to trigger a song. Uhura says per musical rules they need to wait until someone is feeling a lot of emotion and specifically nods toward Christine celebrating getting the fellowship. Then Spock engages her. Christine asks to talk about it later, and Spock presses the issue. And then Christine launches into her song.

So at that point, Spock knew that there was the epidemic of people uncontrollably bursting out in song and saying things that they wouldn't publicly  admit otherwise. He knew confronting Christine could lead to either or both of them feeling the level of emotion to trigger such a song. And Spock still pushes forward.

Now in fairness to Spock, he did not know exactly what Christine was going to sing. Maybe he was expecting her to sing how much she loved him, or how she had a good explanation for why she's told half the ship but not him. But he could have attempted to control the song by getting her someplace more private than the ship's bar. 

In fairness to Christine, she doesn't actually break up with him in song. Her lyric is "If I need to leave you, I won't fight it." That to me doesn't rule out the possibility of a subspace continuation of their relationship, especially against the backdrop of the fellowship being a mere three months. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

One interesting thing that this episode states is that the current crew on Pike's Enterprise is about 200. Kirk's Enterprise has a crew of 410. Not sure why Kirk's Enterprise has almost twice the staffing. 

They'll have to retrofit the ship to split all those huge cabins in half.

15 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Now in fairness to Spock, he did not know exactly what Christine was going to sing. Maybe he was expecting her to sing how much she loved him, or how she had a good explanation for why she's told half the ship but not him. But he could have attempted to control the song by getting her someplace more private than the ship's bar. 

If fairness to Christine, Spock has been in the thick of trying to resolve this issue with the anomaly. I know that if I had an SO who was in the middle of dealing with something that is, or could imminently become, an emergency, I'm not going to distract them with personal news that is not an emergency. I'm going to wait until that's over with.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, ML89 said:

I feel really slow on the uptake, only now realizing La’an’s ancestor will be part of the reason David Marcus dies. (And yet another problem with SNW vs TOS)

I've actually been thinking about this, too.

Like - considering this series' proclivity for over-emotionalizing everything - what's the real point of bringing these two together romantically, or at least heavily implying the potential for such is definitely there?

It can't be for setting up the angst of having to deal with Khan's vengeance in  TWoK is what leads to David's death in TSfS, as that is canonically still 25+ years in the future from the current timeline.  Unless, and I would rule nothing out at this point, they have another time-travel episode where JTK learns of what happens to David in TSfS that way.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Once again, we don't know the exact situation. We know where we are as of SNW's "Subspace Rhapsody" (Chapel got accepted to do a fellowship with Roger Korby) and we know where we will be as of TOS's "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (Chapel and Korby have been engaged and he has been missing for five years though Chapel hadn't given up hope of his being alive still.)

We don't even (I think) know the exact number of years between the two episodes though someone nerdier than me can try to extrapolate from the respective stardates. 

Yep. Stardates mean nothing to me but based on an article on the timeline, season one was set in 2258 or 2259 and Korby goes missing in 2061. If it was a year+ fellowship it would be safe to assume they get involved during the fellowship but three months is nothing. If JB stays on the show we will probably see how her relationship and engagement plays out in season 3. 

11 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

True, though he was still the weakest singer of the bunch.

Might also be why we didn't get a duet with the Kirk brothers, even thought that would have been a great source of drama and some potential for catharsis.

Ethan Peck is  way better singing Spock than Nimoy too.  We'll check on Zac Quinto

• Like 2

I'm fully on board with more musical episodes.  La'an's song was great. I've had a low-key crush on Christina Chong for some time, which recently exploded into a proper obsession.

More more more. I only regret they didn't do one of these in Game of Thrones.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Like - considering this series' proclivity for over-emotionalizing everything - what's the real point of bringing these two together romantically, or at least heavily implying the potential for such is definitely there?

Speaking of, would real Kirk aka TOS Kirk have told La'an about Carol and the pregnancy....after sleeping with her?  That's the rep he gets in pop culture but I like how SNW is portraying him.  Most especially I like how they have kinda leaned into just how special and gifted Kirk was, this series make it clear he could have chosen any career path in Starfleet and excelled at it, genius level guy basically. Something they kinda say in TOS but dont really show.

• Like 5

I’m always amazed when handsome beautiful people can also sing. It’s like they were in line when the grab bag of talent was full. I really loved Peck/Spock’s singing voice. Quite nice. They sure gave Chong/La’an a lot to do….she carried a whole lengthy song herself. 

• Like 2

Guess the subpace fold was a big fan of old Broadway standards from Earth.

I liked the choral styling of the theme song.

Heisenberg compensator. It is the one who knocks.

It's still fascinating to me that so far in the future women could still get pregnant by accident. How TOS Kirk doesn't end up with kids all over the universe is a wonder but perhaps by then reproductive science has advanced substantially.

My favorite comment from reddit:

Apparently, one has never experienced BTS until one has heard them in the original Klingon.

Sufficient amount of Pike but yikes, he's about to lose his girlfriend in the worst possible way, isn't he?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, tv-talk said:

Speaking of, would real Kirk aka TOS Kirk have told La'an about Carol and the pregnancy....after sleeping with her?  That's the rep he gets in pop culture but I like how SNW is portraying him.  Most especially I like how they have kinda leaned into just how special and gifted Kirk was, this series make it clear he could have chosen any career path in Starfleet and excelled at it, genius level guy basically. Something they kinda say in TOS but dont really show.

I was just thinking about that. The foundation for this take on Kirk is definitely there in TOS even though those aren’t the attributes of Kirk that went down in pop culture history. 

You could describe TOS Kirk as a guy who liked to play chess, kept physical books around in an era when everything was digital, was familiar with the Shakespearian canon and went to see plays, knew enough history and chemistry to build a canon out of the rocks available on an abandoned planet, and surrounded himself with science nerds and cherished them. Someone who was emotionally generous when an old friend framed him for murder and so aware of his space besties’ respective foibles that he left them a just-in-case-I-die recording to keep them from turning on each other. A genius in military strategy, skilled in hand-to-hand contact, but also diplomatically gifted and  eager to save his enemies after a conflict. 

But that tends to get lost in the cultural memory of artfully ripped shirts and alien babes of the week.

My favorite part of this episode was the Kirk/La’an stuff. I was glad that the risk of forced musical confession gave her an excuse to violate the order not to tell Kirk about her experience with his AU persona. I get the reason for the regulation, but how horrible  to be forced to keep that secret while the Kirk from her universe is alternately flirting with her and looking gently concerned that she’s having a breakdown from being in the presence of the wonder that is him. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I was just thinking about that. The foundation for this take on Kirk is definitely there in TOS even though those aren’t the attributes of Kirk that went down in pop culture history. 

You could describe TOS Kirk as a guy who liked to play chess, kept physical books around in an era when everything was digital, was familiar with the Shakespearian canon and went to see plays, knew enough history and chemistry to build a canon out of the rocks available on an abandoned planet, and surrounded himself with science nerds and cherished them. Someone who was emotionally generous when an old friend framed him for murder and so aware of his space besties’ respective foibles that he left them a just-in-case-I-die recording to keep them from turning on each other. A genius in military strategy, skilled in hand-to-hand contact, but also diplomatically gifted and  eager to save his enemies after a conflict. 

But that tends to get lost in the cultural memory of artfully ripped shirts and alien babes of the week.

My favorite part of this episode was the Kirk/La’an stuff. I was glad that the risk of forced musical confession gave her an excuse to violate the order not to tell Kirk about her experience with his AU persona. I get the reason for the regulation, but how horrible  to be forced to keep that secret while the Kirk from her universe is alternately flirting with her and looking gently concerned that she’s having a breakdown from being in the presence of the wonder that is him. 

True. One thing I really like about this series is that they are emphasizing what makes Kirk a great captain outside of the swashbuckler legacy. 

9 hours ago, Starchild said:

They'll have to retrofit the ship to split all those huge cabins in half.

So like airplanes were the seats keep getting smaller to cram more people onboard. 

10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It's still fascinating to me that so far in the future women could still get pregnant by accident. How TOS Kirk doesn't end up with kids all over the universe is a wonder but perhaps by then reproductive science has advanced substantially.

It even happened to the Siskos almost 100 years later.  Forgetting to get a shot is mentioned as the cause.  Not to mention that other captain with a surprise kid...

11 hours ago, tv-talk said:

Speaking of, would real Kirk aka TOS Kirk have told La'an about Carol and the pregnancy....after sleeping with her?  That's the rep he gets in pop culture but I like how SNW is portraying him.

His pop culture rep is hitting on women, but he's never been portrayed as a two-timer who would cross the line. 

Ironically, it's Spock who's been more dubious in recent years.  Kelvinverse Spock was Uhura's instructor and SNW Spock needed about 5 minutes before jumping from happily engaged to we're on a break, so let me find Chapel.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Panopticon said:

That's a great description of Kirk. He even showed compassion to Janice Lester after she stole his body. I now think Shatner's hamminess was a feature rather than a bug, although it sometimes did make it hard to take Kirk seriously, particularly when compared to Patrick Stewart/Picard's gravitas. I'm starting to appreciate Paul Wesley's take that Kirk is supremely confident yet thoughtful and serious.

As for Kirk's endless space babes, his two greatest loves were the Enterprise herself and Spock. YMMV.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, Starchild said:

If fairness to Christine, Spock has been in the thick of trying to resolve this issue with the anomaly. I know that if I had an SO who was in the middle of dealing with something that is, or could imminently become, an emergency, I'm not going to distract them with personal news that is not an emergency. I'm going to wait until that's over with.

Christine IMO had plenty of time to send the ST equivalent of a text saying "Hey, got the fellowship! We should talk." or something more generic on first getting the news herself before the anomaly happened. But even afterward, she could have done it without being disruptive to Spock's duties. I tend to think it's basic courtesy to let the guy you're sleeping with know the good news before you talk to crew like Sam Kirk.

If one were inclined to be charitable, she maybe had not decided in her own mind what getting the fellowship meant for her and Spock. Or maybe she was mindful of how busy he was. Or maybe she was deliberately avoiding him. No one right answer to why she didn't seek him out earlier.

Anyways, some thoughts on rewatch:

Maybe I'm imagining it, but the music just before they send "Anything Goes" through the fold seems to evoke the music from "OMWF" when Dawn is dancing with the big demon's wooden minions.

It also seemed to me that the Spock song was a mirror to the Chapel song. 

Closed captioning said Uhura was humming "Let's Get Connected," but it sounded to me like she was humming the Chapel song. So maybe that is just me having a bad ear. Or maybe it's just that is the only song that I find memorable as it is, the only earworm to come out of the episode.

9 minutes ago, marinw said:

I now think Shatner's hamminess was a feature rather than a bug, although it sometimes did make it hard to take Kirk seriously, particularly when compared to Patrick Stewart/Picard's gravitas.

I think Shatner blew Stewart out of the water in Generations and that Jean-Luc may not be aging so well as a character. Of course many will disagree but it's almost as of the writers tried to make Picard the anti-Kirk which I dont think will age as well as the silliness and camp of the OG Kirk. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tv-talk said:

I think Shatner blew Stewart out of the water in Generations and that Jean-Luc may not be aging so well as a character. Of course many will disagree but it's almost as of the writers tried to make Picard the anti-Kirk which I dont think will age as well as the silliness and camp of the OG Kirk. 

Also Kirk had McCoy and Spock. He had friends as equals. Kirk's enterprise like Pike's had less awareness of hierarchy while Picards seemed more military. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Dani said:

True. One thing I really like about this series is that they are emphasizing what makes Kirk a great captain outside of the swashbuckler legacy. 

So like airplanes were the seats keep getting smaller to cram more people onboard. 

I think the additional personnel would be science people as they found they had a. Eed for archeologists and botanists. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 2
On 8/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

I see so many folks hot under the collar about the Kling-Pop number.  Knowing that the Klingons are totally about Klingon opera and their honor, I knew that they must be singing anything but that in order for the General to come in guns ablazing.  "We are dishonored by being forced to sing this human-like drivel and flounce about in undignified ways!"  I loved it. 

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't have been surprised to see them do a Macarena type choreographed number, or an Ice Ice Baby knockoff.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Christine IMO had plenty of time to send the ST equivalent of a text saying "Hey, got the fellowship! We should talk." or something more generic on first getting the news herself before the anomaly happened. But even afterward, she could have done it without being disruptive to Spock's duties. I tend to think it's basic courtesy to let the guy you're sleeping with know the good news before you talk to crew like Sam Kirk.

If one were inclined to be charitable, she maybe had not decided in her own mind what getting the fellowship meant for her and Spock. Or maybe she was mindful of how busy he was. Or maybe she was deliberately avoiding him. No one right answer to why she didn't seek him out earlier.

Normal communications were down though, even before the music started.  Uhura was having to transfer messages manually.  Maybe Christine decided that since both Spock and Uhura were working round the clock to fix the issue that taking up their time and space with a personal message that wasn't time sensitive, might not have been a good idea. 

I was rewatching again, and I loved that even the ships were 'dancing' in the final sequence.

Also loved Pike's horrified reaction when Ortegas started singing in the opening number!

• Like 4

I'm still not clear on why Uhura had to manually forward everybody's emails.

In TOS (and in other shows) Uhura was always sending messages via subspace. Did that ability not exist before this episode? They must have worked out the whole Breaking into Song thing.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, marinw said:

Spock was using so much computer power investigating the fold, there wasn't enough left over to automatically route messages to their intended recipients.

Kind of standard Trek plot device where technology always works except when the plot demands that it doesn't.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, starri said:

Kind of standard Trek plot device where technology always works except when the plot demands that it doesn't.

Yes. Manually forwarding emails isn't even a thing now.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, marinw said:

Yes. Manually forwarding emails isn't even a thing now.

You would think that manually routing emails would not be a priority at the time. Whatever it actually means. Does uhura ha e to do it because she is the only one with the password. What?

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, marinw said:

to show that she is a Spock level genius who could handle 5,000 things at the same time, pretty much everyone in Trek is supposed to be that these days. They've definitely moved away from the days of Data/Spock simply being beyond what human brains can do and often saving the day because of it. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

to show that she is a Spock level genius who could handle 5,000 things at the same time, pretty much everyone in Trek is supposed to be that these days. They've definitely moved away from the days of Data/Spock simply being beyond what human brains can do and often saving the day because of it. 

Hoshi ( sp?) was a ridiculously super linguist. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

I mean, with the possible exception of Lower Decks, there has rarely been a point where the main crew was not chockful of Renaissance people who were geniuses at their respective fields. A recurring theme of TOS was that Kirk with his mere human brain outthought sophisticated AIs, purported gods, a genetically engineered superman, and yes, even routinely kicked Spock's logical ass at chess.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Did Kirk actually outthink Khan or did he just hit him with a wrench? 

I would say that TOS Spock and Data were pretty clearly "better" than the rest of the crew both in physical ability and mental gymnastics, and that Data of course was obviously patterned after Spock. Trek since then has spread the super abilities around much more. In fact I'm trying to remember a Spocks-brain-saves-the-day episode in SNW and struggling to recall one though there may have been. Surely though there has been more Spock as unstable teenager than Spock super genius. 

• Like 1