Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: The First Dates (and someone's last)

• Start Topic

I missed the first episode, so I just tuned in to see what the herd guys looked like.  Charity is driving her date around in a red convertible and neither one is wearing a seatbelt.   I'm out now. 

• Like 4

Two guys say they are glad Aaron B got the first date because he's a right reasons guy. Some guys are not. No names mentioned. But the camera lingered on some faces in the swimming pool.

Now Aaron and Charity kiss in front of the Hollywood sign.

• Like 2

Now they're at dinner, talking about past relationships. Aaron told Charity she is a ton of green flags. 

The rest of the giys are sitting on the couch. KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

I can't name all the guys who are going. Braden has kind of a Maud look going with those long silver-colored earrings.

Now for the special private concert. The singer's name is Laura Alaina. She's pretty good.

So Paris Hilton is doing Taco Bell commercials now. Volcano Taco Bell commercials because those tacos are HOT, says Paris.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Group date at the beach. The tide's coming in, surf's a little rough. But they're going to make sand castles! Then a pickup game of football.

Jesse shows up! It's time for the 4th annual dodgeball tournament. And the guys get to wear pink or chartreuse Speedos.

Suns out, buns out! Someone says I can't believe we're doing this when Yosef has a daughter!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6

The guys are hitting more spectators than other guys.

Xavier's doing well! Pink team won the first game!

Green (chartreuse) team won the second game. 

How did they get to game 4? But now the teams are tied, each with 2 wins.

Adrian is by himself on the green team. He got three pinks out with one ball. But the pink team prevailed. But Adrian got MVP and so gets to go to the after party. 

The wrestler guy has John 3:16 written on his chest. 

• Like 3

Brayden doesn't think Adrian deserves to be MVP and on the date. But Brayden got the first impression rose last week so he knows he has a connection. And he's her #1 pick!

Now she's talking with John who leans in for a kiss.

Back with the other guys, Brayden is blabbing how he should have gotten the one on one because he got the first impression rose. Then he disses Adrian getting MVP to Adrian's face.

Adrian has a daughter! And he played dodgeball in a chartreuse Speedo! So there, Yosef! However Adrian told Charity being on The Bachelorette is like being on spring break. Or maybe Adrian said the other guys are treating this like spring break. Oh oh, now Charity tells the guys they should take thia experience more seriously. This is not spring break.

John gets the group date rose.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Where is everyone!?!??

it must have been so cold. All the Th with the guys at the beach they were shivering

“red convertible and neither one is wearing a seatbelt.  “

cars from the 60s only have lap belts. 

• Like 3

They sure are pushing that Barbie movie.

Thay guy with the British accent from the T-Mobile commercial reminds me of Jay from Survivor.

Now Charity is sitting by herself on a concrete stairs. Oh yay, Gabby and Rachel are here!  Gabby looks different. There's a crowd of fans cheering!!!! Six of the guys come down the stairs!

Rachel has messed with her hair in a bad way.

So the challenge is the longest kiss in Bachelor history. They have to break Sean's record of three minutes and 27 seconds. First they guys have to answer questions.

Question 1: where do you put your hands when kissing?

2: what is the sexiest thing about Charity?

3. Show us your ultimate kiss. (Guys kiss their hands as a demo.)

4. Guys tell about their most memorable kiss.

Joey gets to kiss Charity!  Over 3 minutes so far! They broke Sean's record! The new record is 4 minutes and 25 seconds!

I feel sorry for everyone who missed this amazing moment in Bachelor history.

5 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

LA confuses me - is it bikini top weather or sweater weather? 

It's Speedo weather!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

The loser guys return to the mansion and tell the others about the kissing competition. Brayden is very offended on behalf of the other guys. He wouldn't have stayed to watch. He may pack his bags and leave. (Hasta la vista I hope, Brayden!)

Jesse arrives with good news and bad news for the guys. Bad news: no cocktail party. Good news: there's going to be a BBQ and Charity's on her way over!

• Like 3

Charity's having a nice time talking to the guys. In the meantime Brayden is blabbing away to a couple of unlucky bored guys about his emotions and how they aren't shallow even though you might think they are.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Now for the moment of reckoning. Brayden is with Charity. He talks so fast it's hard to keep up with his thoughts.  Anyhow that conversation was a bunch of nothing. Brayden can unpack his bags.

Now Adrian's talking about Brayden's reaction to the kissing contest. Charity's offended because Brayden used the word "classless."

And now Charity is upset and walked away. Jesse says she'll be back for the rose ceremony.

• Like 2

Roses: Dotin, Tanner, Caleb B, Corey??, Michael, Sean, Xavier, Aaron S, James, Adrian, - Last Rose, gentlemen - Brayden. 

Some sad guys hug Charity and depart. Then Brayden comes in for another hug.

Ugh lucky us, Brayden gets at least one more rose.

• Like 2

Warren, not Corey. I think the producers are keeping Adrian and Brayden around to create drama. I'm guessing the lack of participation on this site (versus other seasons) is because this season isn't appealing to most. Charity is beautiful, but she's too normal for reality TV. 😁 It's been pretty boring so far, I think. And I hate the contests where the men have to wear embarrassing outfits. Seems like reverse sexism to me. I didn't see Spencer at all until the rose ceremony, even though he was featured a lot in the first episode.  Anyway, not sure I'll stick with this season-- I particularly miss the snark that I usually find about the show on this site.  Thanks for keeping up the commentary Lamb 18! 

• Like 3

Dotun seems really cute. And John, Xavier, Warwick. It's nice seeing a lot of the guys have jobs other than personal trainer or medical rep. So many of the guys are just bland though,so far.

Charity is stunning, but maybe not crazy enough for reality tv. Her vibe is very calming, and I can totally see how she is a therapist. I hope she ends up with a good guy though. 

I hate the stupid competition dates though. 

I visibly shudder when Brayden is shown or speaks. Gah, what a predictable shit stirring  tool.

• Like 6

I wonder if the Speedos were inspired by Joey in last season’s BIP Canada?  (Btw, no athletic support and lots of close ups of the … movement… when he walked)

IMG_2127.jpeg

• Fire 1
  • LOL 6

Jesse dropping the f-bomb?! Love it!! Harrison, who? Brayden is going all-in on the middle school art teacher core.

Yeah, Aaron B! Let’s see whether he remains a top pick for me (and Charity). And, more importantly, whether Charity will ever catch on about the double-sided coin. I’m picturing them 25 years from now. Okay, heads, you do the dishes. … Wow, you always win! 

Brayden and the wrestler doing back flips off the hot tub are this year’s Chad and Daniel, here for the bro time. That side of the pool are the Wrong Reasons crew, according to the Right Reasons fellows who are wearing their jeans and not swimming to show that they only have love on the mind.

Okay, rather than continuing the coin ruse to his advantage, Aaron realizes Charity will never figure this out, and immediately comes clean. Charity is as shocked as the fellas were when Undercover Brother took off his mustache.

Aaron is winning over therapist Charity with how he went to therapy to learn how to have better relationships. If this is his “sob story” to prove how vulnerable he is, we finally got one that has a positive ending and shows self growth rather than the usual tales of woe. Aaron was my favorite night 1, and he’s locked in my vote. (Until someone else stands out and I forget about him…but so far so good!)

There are three Calebs—at least?!?’ Oh, no. I thought two Aarons were bad enough. Okay, we got the doctor Caleb as a plus, and the wrestler Caleb as a minus, and that means the third Caleb will need to just fade back into obscurity. Sorry, third Caleb, that’s just the way it’s got to be unless you can make yourself stand out in some way.

The carnage of the spectators screeching and jumping out of the way, life flashing before their eyes really adds a new element to the fourth dodgeball championship. Maybe they should have backed up a bit rather than acting as human foul lines. Adrian may have gotten three people out with one ball, but Xavier is some type of dodgeball savant.

Brayden borrowed Great-Aunt Gertie’s pearl earrings for the after party. I do not understand how/why Charity likes this clown.

Got interrupted watching the recording. Will be back…

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

OK, I'm embarassed to say this, but I liked Brayden on the first night.  He reminded me of a friend from college.  But by this 2nd episode, I was over it. He can't leave soon enough.  So that means, we will have at least 2 more weeks of his ish. (and I f-loved her green moto jacket!)

• Like 4
(edited)

I think Charity has the best stylist in recent memory.   I've loved everything she has worn except for the rose ceremony dress this last episode.  She is actually dressed appropriately for dates, like wearing sneakers when she is driving the convertible, not 10 inch heels.  Rachel and Gabby still look like an ad for Shein.  I really like Joey, look-wise he reminds me a bit of Ben Flajik (but cuter) and Greg from Gabby's season.  He seems like a right-reason guy but not sure if she'll move to Hawaii to be with a tennis pro.

I think Adrian was MVP just to stir up trouble on the date.  I loved how when he mentioned having a daughter she was so "supportive" but didn't ask her name, age, anything about custody, or where the mother is.   These shallow conversations are just so "vulnerable".   I think I know more about my mailman than Charity know about any of them.  

I do like that the background stories are less "sobby" this year.  However,  although my parents have been married forever, that was never a requirement or even a concern about my future in-laws when I was dating.   I dated guys whose parents were divorced, still married and widows.  Never really gave it any thought as to how it would affect our relationship.  It just seems like such a stupid requirement.  

Edited by Katie111
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 7/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, Lamb18 said:

Brayden got the first impression rose last week so he knows he has a connection. And he's her #1 pick!

Did he get the first impression rose? Huh, I never heard Brayden say that. 😄

17 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Okay, rather than continuing the coin ruse to his advantage, Aaron realizes Charity will never figure this out, and immediately comes clean. Charity is as shocked as the fellas were when Undercover Brother took off his mustache.

Please tell me that means the end of that stupid coin. Aaron was starting to seem like one of those guys who walks around doing close-up magic with everyone he runs into. 

2 hours ago, Katie111 said:

I think Adrian was MVP just to stir up trouble on the date.  I loved how when he mentioned having a daughter she was so "supportive" but didn't ask her name, age, anything about custody, or where the mother is.   These shallow conversations are just so "vulnerable".   I think I know more about my mailman than Charity know about any of them.  

Didn't Charity say, "Thanks for telling me that."? Ouch. And Adrian kept saying how much me sacrificed to be there. But didn't he volunteer to be on The Bachelorette? i.e. he isn't doing this for anyone except himself. 

Plus, Adrian is a tattle-tale. Producer-driven or not, no one likes a tattle-tale. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

It weirdly looked like there were white panties peeking out from the speedos. And I guess I don't know the rules of dodgeball. If you *catch* the ball, you get to keep it and throw it at someone, but if you get *hit* you're out?

The amateur 3:16 sharpied onto his chest left me wondering what that was about. And it wasn't on his chest in his TH (still in the speedo) on the beach. But then it was there again on his "inside" TH after they lost.

I assume that you need a special dispensation to go walk around the Hollywood sign.

To Braydon: I bet you have a lot of questions for me. Braydon: Oh yes, so many. And a hot second later they are smooching. No questions asked (at least that we saw). And his dangly earrings are a big no for me. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Braydon going on and on about the kissing record being disrespectful. I thought it was gross and stupid. But it wasn't her idea. I don't really think she was in a place to say no, even if she wanted to. (I do think Joey is cute-- he's my type)

• Like 7

The only good thing about this episode was the speedo dodgeball challenge- loads of testosterone, aggression, and scantily clad guys 😄🔥.  I rewound a few times during that segment to admire my favorite hunks Aaron the firefighter and Caleb the wrestler.  Charity says the word "like" so many times per sentence that I can barely even grasp what she's saying- is anyone else having this issue? It's funny how The Bachelorette franchise can afford to rent out a mansion and plan all of these elaborate dates in Los Angeles and internationally, but they only had about 3 cheap bikini trimmers for all of the guys to share during their pre dodgeball speedo manscaping session 😅.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Apparently the drawn-on 3:16 chest "tattoo" on Caleb is a Stone Cold Steve Austin wrestling reference. Yeah, me neither. Caleb actually seems kind of sweet, much to my surprise. 

I might be a little bit in love with Xavier. If Charity doesn't marry him, can we have him as the next Bachelor? A 6'6" scientist who likes to knit and has those abs? We haven't seen that much of him yet but so far he's wonderful (please don't let him become a villain later). 

Brayden feels like one of those people who made being "quirky" his whole personality. We get it, you like dangly earrings and scarves. He seems like a very young 24. 

The "Yosef's daughter" reference cracked me up - that guy definitely watches the show. 

I would guess that part of the reason there aren't as many people here during the show is the later 9pm start time. I sound ancient saying this, but I only watched half live and then finished the show the next day on Hulu because I was too tired. My friend who is a loyal fan of the show skipped it entirely and watched the whole episode on Tuesday - I suspect a lot of fans are doing the same. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, topanga said:

Please tell me that means the end of that stupid coin. Aaron was starting to seem like one of those guys who walks around doing close-up magic with everyone he runs into. 

LOLOLOL, this made me laugh too hard.

However,  although my parents have been married forever, that was never a requirement or even a concern about my future in-laws when I was dating.   I dated guys whose parents were divorced, still married and widows.  Never really gave it any thought as to how it would affect our relationship.  It just seems like such a stupid requirement.  

Yeah, Charity's long-winded intro to her reasons for choosing Aaron for this date sounded so silly. "YOUR parents have been married forever and MY parents have been married forever, so that means we're looking for everlasting love..." As opposed to all of those other people who enter into a relationship hoping it will self-destruct in a ball of flames, I guess. Stupid

“red convertible and neither one is wearing a seatbelt.  “

cars from the 60s only have lap belts. 

Yep, definitely the car you want to give to a first-time LA driver traversing windy cliff roads, no potential pitfalls there. Between that and the heights involved in visiting the Hollywood sign, I would have had to politely decline this date and Uber back to the mansion with a driver who's used to the roads and has a car with modern safety features.

I did notice in the overhead shots that Charity appeared to be driving all the way in the middle of the road, away from the edge and away from the cliff wall, so I assume the roads were shut down to other traffic but still. Not a fan of heights or cars in the hands of unsure drivers.

Brayden feels like one of those people who made being "quirky" his whole personality. We get it, you like dangly earrings and scarves. He seems like a very young 24. 

Absolutely. He's got "LOOK AT ME, I'M QUIRKY" written all over him. And then he'll pretend to bitch that people are talking about him, as if that wasn't his aim entirely. He's fine as a drama stirrer, but he's not gonna make the finals, IMO.

Someone says I can't believe we're doing this when Yosef has a daughter!

I need to rewind and find out who that was. And if it's the same guy who said "this guy's doing back flips and I'm in HR," whoever that guy is will shoot straight to the top of my favorites list. Hilarious.

Charity looked great in that green jacket and white shirt. I haven't loved all of the dress looks, but she does casual really well. 

Didn't Charity say, "Thanks for telling me that."? Ouch. And Adrian kept saying how much me sacrificed to be there. But didn't he volunteer to be on The Bachelorette? i.e. he isn't doing this for anyone except himself. 

Plus, Adrian is a tattle-tale. Producer-driven or not, no one likes a tattle-tale. 

A tattle-tale AND a sourpuss. With a kid. 3 strikes, IMO. Not saying that people who have kids can't find someone, but it's a lot of instant responsibility for the new person, so they'd have to be really sure that they want to be with that person. And so far, Adrian is giving very little reason for anyone to want to spend time with him, let alone marry him. 

I always hate the people who appoint themselves Right Reasons police, but at least previous tattle-tales have waited for an actual infraction before flashing their badges, this guy's mad that people are swimming and having fun in the 22 hours of downtime when Charity isn't around. What are they supposed to do, sit in their rooms doodling her name? 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I need to rewind and find out who that was. And if it's the same guy who said "this guy's doing back flips and I'm in HR," whoever that guy is will shoot straight to the top of my favorites list. Hilarious.

The guy who said, "I can't believe we're doing this when Yosef has a daughter at home!" is my favorite: the hunky and funny firefighter from San Diego named Aaron 😄🔥!

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

The guy who said, "I can't believe we're doing this when Yosef has a daughter at home!"

Can someone clue in this only-occasional watcher as to what the reference is?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Can someone clue in this only-occasional watcher as to what the reference is?

During Clare's very brief season, they had a similar game of scantily clothed men (jockstraps only?)  in a dodgeball game. Yosef was not among the guys in the group date. But when he heard about it, he yelled at Clare for being "classless" and referenced his daughter at home.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I hate the stupid competitions with zero to scant clothing. It’s cheap and pointless but I’m afraid we’re going to get more of it especially if the travel is ramped down as I suspect.  Seems like there are some good guys in the bunch and then there’s Brayden.

Braydon, we all know you get roses to satisfy the producers idea of entertainment. You’re a poser and you look ridiculous. Hopefully you’ll be shipped off soon. Good luck on your next audition. (My gran wants her earrings back.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

wow, he really gave it to her! I didn't watch that season. Yes there are some similarities to some of the stuff that was discussed in the most recent episode, though much harsher. I don't find myself liking her one little bit. I know, off-topic, so no one needs to agree or argue. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Okay, back to hour 2:

Adrian is another stand-out (and stand-up) guy. I just hope he doesn’t fall victim of the curse of calling out a Wrong Reasons lead favorite. (ETA: After watching the whole episode, I take this back. This man is a lot! But, we know he was just the poor sap who took the producer’s bait to go and tell Charity and confront Brayden multiple times.)

Charity’s all, don’t anyone have fun without me! I expect you to solemnly reflect on our relationship when you’re not summoned to a date.

This group date the girls are saying Joey won’t stop making eye contact with Charity, but night one I commented that he didn’t look at her at all when they were talking. I think he has a vision problem and just fixates on one spot.

Oh, no! Not only do the guys have to watch Charity kiss Joey, but then that’s the whole date—they don’t have ANY time with her. Ouch! Now who’s on spring break, Charity?!?

Brayden is going to pack his bags for a display that he wasn’t even there for?! Good riddance, “bro!” Here he comes with his goofy-ass Mystery the Pick-up Artist outfit with flair and now he’s “negging” Charity by saying he questioned her character. And somehow this works on her. Ugh!! 

pick up artist mystery GIF by beeeky

Not only that, but her face falls when Adrian once again brings up the Wrong Reasons accusation and this time calls Brayden out by name. Brayden said to her face that “I question your character” but somehow “classless” is the word that takes it too far—and yet she’s saying Adrian must have misheard! Yikes. 

She sent Caleb the doctor and Josh, who I think is a graduate student at Harvard—but even if not is a total hottie—home?!?! I give up on this woman. I was going to say hopefully we’ll get a 2:1 with Adrian and Brayden, and Brayden will be left alone to die on the side of a freeway or something. But you know what, go ahead and take him, you dope. Save these catches for women who will appreciate them! Brayden gives the toast—FU, dude. Dammit. After that preview, No hope of a 2:1 abandonment for this douche.

Edited by JenE4
Had to add a disclaimer to an initial comment after another whole hour of Adrian tattling
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)

So seriously, how was the speedo dodgeball supposed to help Charity find her person? (I know, I know, it is just to amuse us, the viewers). I guess she's supposed to be impressed by how much they are "fighting for her." As in "ego trip." I mean, some of these guys have spent less than 5 minutes of "deep" conversation with her. Now, I'd expect my husband of 33 years to "fight for me," (though he might not not *quite* as fetching in a speedo). But some guy who barely knows you? I guess being put on a pedestal swells your head pretty quickly.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did I hear this wrong? If Charity's parents have been together for 48 years, then they were already together for 20 years when her mom was pregnant with her.  Is this correct?

Edited by LindaT
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, LindaT said:

Did I hear this wrong? If Charity's parents have been together for 48 years, then they were already together for 20 years when her mom was pregnant with her.  Is this correct?

Yes.  My parents were too.  My mom was 38 and my dad was 44 when I came around. 

• Like 2

The sob stories would never work in real life! Years ago, I went on a first date with a guy who as soon as we were served our dessert crepes he told me how he suffered from depression in college and staged his own disappearance to ghost his parents and ate out of vending machines to survive before campus safety found him- he did NOT get my final rose 😅🌹.  Charity is surprised that these guys are having fun without her? What are they supposed to do- stair at the wall or scrawl their names together in a journal with squiggly hearts in their bunk beds? She needs to tone it down a notch. I love her outfits and hair on the show though- they make up for her basic personality 😉.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Charity seems really nice, I like her more lowkey vibes so far. She isn't really standing out a whole lot yet personality wise, but I'm certainly rooting for her to find a nice guy. There seem to be some good ones in this batch, although I am really having trouble with names in this group for some reason, a lot of the guys are kind of blurring together. I like hot scientist and hot firefighter the most right now, they seem like very decent down to earth guys who will work well with Charity, I definitely don't think she's going to go for one of the more high drama types.

That's one of the reasons I suspect that Brayden will end up being our designated producers pick who the show keeps around for the sake of drama, not because the bachelor/ette actually likes them. Brayden is so creepy and off-putting even beyond him being an obvious drama queen here to stir the pot, he doesn't at all seem like the sort of guy that Charity would be into. 

At first I thought that Adrian seemed pretty cool but he really lost me by proclaiming himself the head of the Wrong Reasons Task Force, and not even for anything that anyone did wrong. I tend to roll my eyes at Wrong Reasons accusations and tattle telling in general, unless someone has done something really fucked up, he was being extra ridiculous. Having fun while Charity is somewhere else now warrants a Wrong Reasons accusation? Some of the guys hanging out at the pool when nothing else is going on is "treating this like its spring break"? What are they supposed to be doing, sitting quietly in their rooms writing Charity angsty poetry? Shut up dude, and stop bringing up the fact that you have a kid just to score some good guy points. He goes on about how being a dad is so important to him, but never actually talks about his child beyond how it makes me so much more responsible than everyone else? 

That Yosef burn was awesome, you can always tell when someone has actually watched the show! I usually think that the challenges where everyone has to parade around in hardly anything while the star whoops is usually cringe, but at least this was slightly better than strip dodgeball. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 7/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, Lamb18 said:

The loser guys return to the mansion and tell the others about the kissing competition. Brayden is very offended on behalf of the other guys.

All your commentary is brilliant and hilarious- thank you.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/3/2023 at 10:11 PM, FlyingEgret said:

LA confuses me - is it bikini top weather or sweater weather? 

Yes?

On 7/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, JenE4 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😜

Edited by Stats Queen
Correction