Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

House of the Dragon? Really? Over those other shows?

Classic HFPA. Always gotta have that random, WTF win, which is why I picked them to win, lol. 

Motion Picture Comedy Musical/Comedy was a toughie with the two big frontrunners in there. Wasn't sure which way HFPA would go - Banshees or Everything Everywhere

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Bill1978 said:

I usually enjoy the Golden Globes cause it's lighthearted and doesn't drag on. It's a quick awards show. But my goodness this one has dragged on and on and on with very little amount of fun.

Nah it drags about two hours in because there's always so many categories. But yeah, it definitely felt longer and draggier this year because a lot of the fun and spark seemed to be missing. I don't know if it's because it's coming off the controversy and all but yeah the energy seemed off all night. 

And The Fabelmans win - interesting as some pundits have been saying it's falling a bit with voters. Will see if tonight's win turns things around. I predicted Avatar not because it was my favorite but just because I figured it's the kind of film HFPA voters would pick. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Readalot said:

Is Eddie Murphy pissed at Jamie Lee Curtis? 

I don't know about Jamie Lee Curtis, but he was obviously less than thrilled with Tracy Morgan's introduction--which is understandable, since it was more about Tracy Morgan than Eddie Murphy.  EM's face didn't crack a single expression until "Your pull-out game is weak," which was undeniably pretty darn funny.

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Regina Hall’s presenting irritated me.  With a show running this long, she was so blasted jabbery and silly and come on, have the sense not to make fun of the deluge in California happening right now.  

Agree.  WTF.   Okay, so Regina King disagreed with Kevin Costner winning the award, maybe keep that opinion to yourself until the afterparty.

####

Didn't anyone else's head jerk up when Jerrod Carmichael said he'd been asked to mention the location hosting the Globes and he called it "the hotel that killed Whitney Houston"?

• Like 5

Stop giving Jennifer Coolidge awards.  She is moderately talented and painfully unfunny, and her shtick got old after the first American Pie. She was tolerable on Two Broke Girls.

Return Shelly Miscavige?  WOW.  I don't even think Ricky Gervais has gone there.

Michele Yeoh. That is all.

• Applause 2

I saw some and DVR'ed the rest. But I liked the honesty of the opening monologue (to me it was more drama than comedy--good drama), and I loved that Spielberg won for director and I loved his speech. (I think The Fabelmans is astonishingly good, and Spielberg, for all his fame that makes us take him for granted, is the world's greatest director whose lifetime is the same as mine.) Please tell me I didn't hear distant piano music before he was finished. (I'm really not sure.)

• Like 3
14 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Damn, HFPA voters are OBSESSED with Justin Hurwitz. Dude has not lost once in this category at the Globes. 

I FFw'd through his speech.  Based on the trailer, I want Babylon to sink into the La Brea Tar Pits without any awards.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
15 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Damn, people, enough with the long-ass reflections on your life and career followed by your long-ass list of people you want to thank. Really, you're going to "beat up" the pianist, Chloe, who is just following the producer(s) instructions instead of letting you ramble on with no indication from you that you're wrapping it up?

I think even Jerrod came to her defense, stating that it's a track that plays people off, not her. 

I agree with this sentiment. I mean, I love, love Michelle Yeoh, but it wasn't nice to tell the poor pianist (who didn't even play her off!) that she was going to beat her up. Obviously, it won't hurt her because she's well-loved and a frontrunner, but if someone else had done that, it would be Hollywood purgatory for them. There are nicer ways to tell whoever's cutting you off to not play you off and that you'll be done soon. 

Do the Globes usually not have an In Memoriam, or were they that pressed for time?

I agree that the timing is off because there's just so many awards handed out - both TV and movies. I think GG could have done without the music categories (Score and Song) and leave that to the Oscars. Stick to the stars, TV shows and movies. Note that they already went THIS LONG even without the little movie or show snippets of the nominees and no panning of the cameras to them either when their names were called - what more if they had done that?!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Stop giving Jennifer Coolidge awards.  She is moderately talented and painfully unfunny, and her shtick got old after the first American Pie. She was tolerable on Two Broke Girls.

Claire Danes was incredible in "Fleishman is in Trouble" too.  I thought that was hers to win..  If not her, than Aubrey Plaza.

16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The White Lotus wins because voters due love watching those dysfunctional rich assholes being dysfunctional rich assholes!

There is no way that show should count as a limited series.  For goodness sake, it's been renewed for a third season.  I'm pissed that The Dropout didn't win.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Claire Danes was incredible in "Fleishman is in Trouble" too.  I thought that was hers to win..  If not her, than Aubrey Plaza.

There is no way that show should count as a limited series.  For goodness sake, it's been renewed for a third season.  I'm pissed that The Dropout didn't win.

I didn't even think of that but yes, 3 seasons isn't limited. Maybe they need to select some of the one and canceled series as those are more limited! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's in the correct category because it counts as an Anthology. The full category is TV Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture Made for TV.

• Useful 1

Why would it not be this?  Best Musical/Comedy Series

Any series could count as an "Anthology".  Abbott Elementary could be an "Anthology"

anthology

noun, plural an·thol·o·gies.

a book or other collection of selected writings by various authors, usually in the same literary form, of the same period, or on the same subject:an anthology of Elizabethan drama; an anthology of modern philosophy.

a collection of selected writings by one author.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

. I think GG could have done without the music categories (Score and Song) and leave that to the Oscars.

But then The Globes wouldn't have an excuse to entice big name music artists to attend their show like Rihanna. If you compare Globes nominees in the song category to the nominees at the Oscars you find many more big name musicians get a nomination at the Globes but are often ignore at the Oscars. It's why when the song from RRR won that I actually cheered because the award didn't go to the big name.

And if you are going to have a Song category you need to have a Score category - to try and hide the fact you only have the Song category to get the big name musicians to turn up to increase your viewership.

Edited by Bill1978

Why would it not be this?  Best Musical/Comedy Series

Any series could count as an "Anthology".  Abbott Elementary could be an "Anthology"

anthology

noun, plural an·thol·o·gies.

a book or other collection of selected writings by various authors, usually in the same literary form, of the same period, or on the same subject:an anthology of Elizabethan drama; an anthology of modern philosophy.

a collection of selected writings by one author.

Well, if we're going to be technical about definition, then the term lookup should be "Anthology Series," and not just "Anthology"

An anthology series is a radio, television, video game or film series that spans different genres and presents a different story and a different set of characters in each different episode, season, segment, or short.

The Globes have always been consistent in this category. I see White Lotus as similar to True Detective, and this is where they have stashed that show in the past when it got nominated. To me, this is the category for everything else that's not (traditional) drama or comedy. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

But then The Globes wouldn't have an excuse to entice big name music artists to attend their show like Rihanna. If you compare Globes nominees in the song category to the nominees at the Oscars you find many more big name musicians get a nomination at the Globes but are often ignore at the Oscars. It's why when the song from RRR won that I actually cheered because the award didn't go to the big name.

And if you are going to have a Song category you need to have a Score category - to try and hide the fact you only have the Song category to get the big name musicians to turn up to increase your viewership.

Oh, I fully know why there is a Best Song category in the Globes, even though personally, it seems out of place to me. But if there were awards that can be cut in the future due to time constraints, these two seem to be the easiest ones to go - they just seem out of place, especially since the Globes are not rewarding other technical parts of the movies anyway. There's a case to be made for  cutting off Best Screenplay too. But over the years, screenplay has been elevated into a top tier award category, plus the famous directors also write their own screenplays, so I see Screenplay surviving the cuts, if any, in the future. 

28 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Well, if we're going to be technical about definition, then the term lookup should be "Anthology Series," and not just "Anthology"

An anthology series is a radio, television, video game or film series that spans different genres and presents a different story and a different set of characters in each different episode, season, segment, or short.

The Globes have always been consistent in this category. I see White Lotus as similar to True Detective, and this is where they have stashed that show in the past when it got nominated. To me, this is the category for everything else that's not (traditional) drama or comedy. 🤷‍♀️

Jennifer Coolidge was in both seasons, along with her love interest. 

Both Only Murders in the Building and The Flight Attendant have a new murder and new set of characters every season, and yet they were nominated under Best Musical/Comedy Series.   There is absolutely no way that The Flight Attendant is a traditional comedy.  It mostly deals with murder.

But, whatever, I'll acquiesce it, it just doesn't seem fair to the actually limited series to have any chance against them.  Of course a series that picks up steam and new fans every season is going to have more love than a one-off show.

The Golden Globes is really nonsensical in a lot of ways.  Avatar being a drama, for example.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

The Golden Globes is really nonsensical in a lot of ways. 

Honestly, it's probably the main reason I love the Globes (apart from drunken acceptance speeches). Remember when The Martian was deemed a comedy or that The Tourist was considered worthy enough for nominations?

• Like 2

But, whatever, I'll acquiesce it, it just doesn't seem fair to the actually limited series to have any chance against them.  Of course a series that picks up steam and new fans every season is going to have more love than a one-off show.

That I agree. I remember for the Emmy’s and SAG there were a lot of complaints when Big Little Lies had a Season 2 when they were submitted for Limited Series for Season 1, especially as the original source material was already finished, but they still continued the story from Season 1 with mostly the same characters. I think the next year, they were forced to submit to the Drama category instead.

Maybe the GG can have a rule that Limited Series submissions can only have one season. Any more seasons and they get categorized as Drama/Comedy. Or clean that catchall category of Limited/Anthology/TV Movie altogether.

But I also see the GGs as more a fun romp like @Bill1978 does, rather than as one of precursors to the Oscars. Yes, I do remember the abomination of a year that they had The Tourist as a major contender - I think even HFPA implied then that they just nominated the film and actors so they can bring star power to the show. Over the years I think the HFPA wanted the Globes to be taken more seriously, so they are trying to align more with critics favorites.

34 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

Honestly, it's probably the main reason I love the Globes (apart from drunken acceptance speeches). Remember when The Martian was deemed a comedy or that The Tourist was considered worthy enough for nominations?

I remember my brother read "The Martian" before the movie came out and said that it was really funny.  He was pretty flabbergasted by the movie.  LOL.  I assume he was picturing something with a witty, Ryan Reynolds-esque tone or something.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
9 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I think even Jerrod came to her defense, stating that it's a track that plays people off, not her. 

I agree with this sentiment. I mean, I love, love Michelle Yeoh, but it wasn't nice to tell the poor pianist (who didn't even play her off!) that she was going to beat her up. Obviously, it won't hurt her because she's well-loved and a frontrunner, but if someone else had done that, it would be Hollywood purgatory for them. There are nicer ways to tell whoever's cutting you off to not play you off and that you'll be done soon. 

I was quite surprised she said that.    I’m sure she wasn’t thinking about Will Smith hitting Chris Rock at the Oscars, but there it is.

Perhaps the nominees should be advised ahead of time regarding the time limit for acceptance speeches — and be prepared for that.  Some of the speeches went on too long, IMO.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, slowpoked said:

There are nicer ways to tell whoever's cutting you off to not play you off and that you'll be done soon. 

Yeah like Austin Butler joking that they could have at least played "Suspicious Minds" or something. 

I thought one of the best speeches of the night was Evan Peters', where he managed to hit all the points - thanked cast, producers, crew, family AND addressed the controversy around the series with complete grace. All in barely a minute. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Thumper said:

Perhaps the nominees should be advised ahead of time regarding the time limit for acceptance speeches — and be prepared for that.  Some of the speeches went on too long, IMO.

I think for the SAGs they have a timer right in front of the stage so winners can see the time left they have for their speech, but that is a great idea to let them know ahead of time so they can structure their speech around that time.

I guess all is well that ends well:

But Flower wasn’t playing the music — and while Yeoh might have been joking, the internet was ready to pounce. Flower clarified to Variety the day after the show that the only time she was playing music was when she was on camera.

“My job was to bring everybody back from commercial break with a performance, so I don’t know how that got lost in translation,” she said.

But what audiences didn’t see was Flower and Yeoh having a moment off-camera. “After she won her award, she walked past the piano and I spoke to her,” Flower said. “We embraced. We touched and we held hands. I said, ‘I would never disrespect you and play during your speech.’ She was so lovely and nice.” Flower added there were no hard feelings.

https://variety.com/2023/awards/athletes/golden-globes-pianist-chloe-flowers-michelle-yeoh-played-off-1235486654/amp/

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Golden Globes is really nonsensical in a lot of ways.  Avatar being a drama, for example.

Bwah? Avatar is 100% a drama. I don’t see how you could possibly think otherwise? There is nothing about it whatsoever that would make it a Comedy/Musical.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Bwah? Avatar is 100% a drama. I don’t see how you could possibly think otherwise? There is nothing about it whatsoever that would make it a Comedy/Musical.

Yeah this. Not sure where the comedy or musical would fit for that film. Another popular argument regarding the Globes and film distinctions are the musical biopics. I saw many comments wondering why Elvis was in Drama and Austin in Lead Actor- Drama. But honestly, while yes, it was a film about a singer and had musical moments, Elvis was a drama. 

26 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Bwah?  Golden Globes categories are silly and reduce all movies's themes down to a nonsensical dichotomy between "Drama" or "Musical/Comedy".   Not every movie in the world is going to fit that, and why are Musicals and Comedies shoved together anyways?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

Bwah?  Golden Globes categories are silly and reduce all movies's themes down to a nonsensical dichotomy between "Drama" or "Musical/Comedy".   Not every movie in the world is going to fit that, and why are Musicals and Comedies shoved together anyways?  

The Globes have absolutely put films in categories that don't really make sense before, but I am still not understanding why  you think Avatar being considered a Drama is "nonsensical"? What else could you possibly call it? Of all the Dramas it's possibly the one most fitting of that designation. There is more music in TAR & Elvis and more comedy in The Fabelmans...

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The Globes have absolutely put films in categories that don't really make sense before, but I am still not understanding why  you think Avatar being considered a Drama is "nonsensical"? What else could you possibly call it? Of all the Dramas it's possibly the one most fitting of that designation. There is more music in TAR & Elvis and more comedy in The Fabelmans...

Categorization of movies by the GGs has always been wonky. It's a feature of the GGs, not a bug. I would prefer a catchall Best Picture category also, but I think GG wanted a musical/comedy category because according to them (or a past president), these two types of movies always get shafted at the Oscars, as the latter tends to have a strong bias towards heavy dramas, historical dramas, etc. So to separate themselves, they wanted to honor those movies, and gives them an incentive (or excuse, however you look at it) to honor more movies that otherwise wouldn't be recognized for Oscars.

The GGs have been consistent though in what they deem as a "musical." It's an actual musical, like Chicago, Greatest Showman or Into the Woods, not just movies with heavy music (like Bohemian Rhapsody, TAR or Elvis). And I agree with this assessment. TAR and Elvis are true dramas, which just happened to have music as an important piece of the plot, so they're in the right category. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Categorization of movies by the GGs has always been wonky. It's a feature of the GGs, not a bug. I would prefer a catchall Best Picture category also, but I think GG wanted a musical/comedy category because according to them (or a past president), these two types of movies always get shafted at the Oscars, as the latter tends to have a strong bias towards heavy dramas, historical dramas, etc. So to separate themselves, they wanted to honor those movies, and gives them an incentive (or excuse, however you look at it) to honor more movies that otherwise wouldn't be recognized for Oscars.

The GGs have been consistent though in what they deem as a "musical." It's an actual musical, like Chicago, Greatest Showman or Into the Woods, not just movies with heavy music (like Bohemian Rhapsody, TAR or Elvis). And I agree with this assessment. TAR and Elvis are true dramas, which just happened to have music as an important piece of the plot, so they're in the right category. 

Yes I know all that.

What I am trying to figure out is why Avatar should not be considered a Drama.

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Yes I know all that.

What I am trying to figure out is why Avatar should not be considered a Drama.

Nowhere is Avatar listed as a drama except for The Golden Globes.  IMDB calls it Action, Adventure, and Fantasy.  Wikipedia calls it Epic Science Fiction.  Letterboxd calls it Science Fiction, Action, and Adventure.  Rotten Tomatoes calls it Sci Fi and Adventure.

What other body would call Avatar a drama except The Golden Globes?  The categories don't make sense.

2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I agree that comedies tend to get shafted by the Oscars.   But I feel like it's counter intuitive to shove 2 categories that supposedly get shafted together thinking that will allow them to award more films.   Also, I cannot agree with Musical.  Arguably at least one musical was nominated for Best Picture four times out of the past 6 years so I think they are doing okay and better than comedy.  Again, that just means more comedies will be overshadowed by musicals because they tend to draw more prestige.

Any non-drama film gets shafted by the Oscars - comedy, science fiction, horror, romantic comedy.  While Golden Globes is certainly more inclusive of genre than the Oscars, I think that they could reevaluate, evolve, and do a better job.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Ok I’m only watching now. I thought Jerrods opening was good although not particularly funny.

What was with the theatrical and dramatic reactions and camera mugging Jennifer Hudson was doing while Angela Bassett accepted her award?

Im mot really surprised Michelle Yeoh was played off. She was giving her life story, I listened to her interview on Awards Chatter and a lot of the jokes/stories in her acceptance speech were verbatim from her interview.

Is Austin Butler putting on a voice or does he really sound exactly like Elvis?

Edited by Avabelle
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

But honestly, while yes, it was a film about a singer and had musical moments, Elvis was a drama. 

I was all ready to come in with some facts about why Elvis should have been dumped into the musical/comedy category based on previous winners, but it seems my brain was wrong, and GG possibly changed requirements after Marion Cottillard won Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy for La Vie En Rose. Bohemian Rhapsody, which I thought was placed into Musical/Comedy, was placed into the Drama category like Elvis was.

La Vie En Rose is definitely like Bohemian Rhapsody and Elvis, a biopic where performances of songs are included (and I vaguely remember some people had issue with Cottillard being placed in that category at the GG). Whereas something like Rocketman, is definitely a biopic musical and was rightfully placed into the musical/comedy category.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2023 at 7:48 PM, Bill1978 said:

Christ, I'm old enough to remember the Pia Zadora mess in 1981.  The Globes have always been an entertaining joke of an awards show.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Updated Ratings: Golden Globes Audience Dips 9% vs. 2021 Telecast
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 11 2023
https://tvline.com/2023/01/11/tv-ratings-golden-globes-2023-nbc-jerrod-carmichael/

In the latest (and updated) TV ratings, NBC’s first airing of the Golden Globes in two years averaged 6.3 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, down 9 and 27 percent from the 2021 telecast to mark the event’s smallest audience since 1995 (the last time that TBS hosted the show before turning it over to NBC) and a new demo low.
The 2021 Globes, with 6.9 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating, was down more than 60 percent from the last pre-pandemic ceremony. That January 2020, pre-pandemic Globes, hosted by Ricky Gervais, drew 18.4 million viewers. Imagine!

Edited by tv echo

Brendan Fraser comments on the Golden Globes. From Variety:

Brendan Fraser Disses Golden Globes as ‘Hood Ornaments’ That ‘Mean Nothing to Me’

"I found myself wondering is this a cynical nomination,” Fraser said. “I couldn’t really tell because of my history with them and that I still have yet to see the results from their reformation. We all are still awaiting that, to tell you the truth…What does matter is that it would mean nothing to me. I don’t want it. I didn’t ask to be considered even, that was presumed.”

Fraser continued, “They needed me, I didn’t need them. Because it wouldn’t be meaningful to me. Where am I gonna put that hood ornament? What would I do with that?”

2024 Golden Globes Adds Category for Box Office Blockbusters
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   SEPTEMBER 26, 2023 
https://tvline.com/awards/golden-globes-new-movie-category-box-office-blockbusters-1235049531/ 

Nominees for the 81st Golden Globe Awards are set to be announced on Monday, Dec. 11. (Note: Golden Globes producer dick clark productions is owned by a subsidiary of Penske Media Corporation, TVLine’s parent company.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1