Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, MerBearHou said:

I’m rooting for Austin Butler to win.  He is truly incredible in Elvis.

He's heavily favored to win because his performance is just the type that HFPA loves - think Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhapsody and Taron Edgerton winning for Rocketman. 

• Like 2

It's always interesting to me that Globes always give the Supporting categories for Movies first. Quan is heavily favored to win the Oscar so this win is not a surprise, but just because it's the Globes and they do weird shit all the time, I thought Brendan Gleeson might take it. 

Oh wow, did not see that one coming. But thrilled for him, because a lot of the pundits did say how the comedy actors almost never win in these categories, going up against drama actors. And Gregory's expressions really do make that show. 

eta: Now I just need Janelle James to win too. Don't get me wrong, love me some Sheryl Lee Ralph but Janelle has had me rolling on the floor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I like Jennifer Coolidge but that didn't need to be that long.

She is a giant pain in the ass, IMO

3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Insert obvious "Everyone DOESN'T Hate Chris after-all!"  Do need to catch up on Abbott Elementary though.

It's really funny!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ah, Babylon!  You may have bombed at the box office and received mixed responses from critics and audiences, but at least your musical score was apparently on point!

Damn!  Meanwhile, RRR over here like "We don't need your famous American singers to win this award!"

Edited by thuganomics85

Damn, HFPA is really feeling the Abbott love. Thought for sure Jenna Ortega would take this because it's right up Globes alley - fresh, new quirky show with a young, ingenue lead. But happy for Quinta. Also I just realize that my summation of Wednesday and Jenna Ortega could just as easily fit Abbott and Quinta. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Damn, HFPA is really feeling the Abbott love. Thought for sure Jenna Ortega would take this because it's right up Globes alley - fresh, new quirky show with a young, ingenue lead. But happy for Quinta. Also I just realize that my summation of Wednesday and Jenna Ortega could just as easily fit Abbott and Quinta. 

I figured it would be Jenna or Quinta. I see now they are starting to play everyone off.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Like 1
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

I figured it would be Jenna or Quinta. I see now they are starting to play everyone off.

Not surprising. When they barely got through three awards in a half hour, I knew it was coming. Because they added new categories and there are two tributes to get through. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Jeremy Alan White fits this as well.  The globes are usually favorable to first season critical darlings.

6 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Jeremy Alan White fits this as well.  The globes are usually favorable to first season critical darlings.

Yeah that's why I predicted him to win. I think I gave Jenna the edge over Quinta because of recency bias - Wednesday has been the IT show in the last few months and Jenna really is 80% of that. She truly carries the show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still won't count out Brenden Frasier come Oscar time though.

I wouldn't count him out but I do think it's become a tighter race with Austin right in the mix, than some probably predicted some months ago. Colin Farrell in recent months seem to have edged past Brendan a bit and there's some divisiveness about The Whale as a film overall.

Banshees and Elvis are both expected to get multiple Oscar nominees. The Whale may only get the nomination for Brendan. Now obviously that's not a definite strike against Brendan, since Renee Zellweger won with Judy the film not really getting in much elsewhere. But it's definitely making it shape up to be more a three-way race.

• Useful 1