Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Damn, people, enough with the long-ass reflections on your life and career followed by your long-ass list of people you want to thank. Really, you're going to "beat up" the pianist, Chloe, who is just following the producer(s) instructions instead of letting you ramble on with no indication from you that you're wrapping it up?

• Like 8

I will say both of tonight's honorees are very deserving. While I may not always love Ryan Murphy's work and I do think he has the worse continuation when it comes to sustaining the quality of a show, you cannot deny the imprint he's left on television.

• Like 5

As soon as Sean Penn showed up, I knew we'd be getting a message from Zelensky. Because Sean Penn's mission of late is to try and insert the Ukrainian war and Zelensky into every award ceremony. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 2

As problematic as some of Ryan Murphy's work is, his contributions to TV in all forms (broadcast, cable and streaming) are undeniable plus he gave one of the best acceptance speeches of the night. 

Zelensky was unexpected. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I just checked and there is a whopping 12 categories left AND Eddie Murphy has to be honored. Yeah this thing's running over. 

which is why I really wish they wouldn't air these things on a school night. I mean, really.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Congrats to Steven Spielberg. His acceptance speech was funny and sweet, especially the part about using pieces of his life in different films and finally realizing that he needs to tell his own story while he still can and based on the reviews I've seen, it's a great story; otoh, since he's been in the business for over 50 years, I'm not surprised.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Good for the Hauser guy but this better not turn into Night Manager type situation where years ago it swept every category it was nominated for when very few people had watched it because HFPA voters were clearly obsessed with it. I say that only because I will be REALLY pissed if Evan Peters loses Lead Actor in a Limited Series to Taron Edgerton. 

Forgot to add that Spielberg winning was a foregone conclusion - let's see, passion project loosely based on his life and so a film about making films. Yup, award gold. 

eta: Jennifer Coolidge is funny and all but I was really rooting for Niecy Nash to win this one. 

4 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jennifer Coolidge wins, so I guess we'll be going past midnight...

yeah — first time was amusing, to pull this same shit a second time is just plain selfish and disrespectful! 

finally, the music. 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Like 4

while i absolutely loved ‘’the charmichael show,’ and certainly understand the appeal of the money, jerrod as a host is just so painful to watch. 

one thing i do miss from earlier broadcasts is how people were shown milling around during the commercial breaks. this just feels as though everyone is trying too hard.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

As problematic as some of Ryan Murphy's work is, his contributions to TV in all forms (broadcast, cable and streaming) are undeniable plus he gave one of the best acceptance speeches of the night. 

I agree, for someone getting a lifetime achievement award he didn't make the speech about himself - well he did by pointing out people he gave jobs to but he framed it in a way as to why it's important that people can be true to themselves and still work in Hollywood.

15 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

yeah — first time was amusing, to pull this same shit a second time is just plain selfish and disrespectful! 

I actually found her second speech more amusing. But I also find her humour very hit or miss. And I felt the second one had more hits in it than the first ramble.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:
20 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

I actually found her second speech more amusing. But I also find her humour very hit or miss. And I felt the second one had more hits in it than the first ramble

you may be right. but i was so annoyed by her self-indulgent time suck that i tuned out what she was saying.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Yay for Evan Peters, but somebody, for the love of Dog, GIVE HIM A ROMCOM STAT!! 

For what it's worth, he feels the same right now. He's made it clear that Dahmer really took a lot out of him mentally. 

lmao, nice ending Eddie. That was hilarious and very sound advice. 

• Like 3
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

For what it's worth, he feels the same right now. He's made it clear that Dahmer really took a lot out of him mentally. 

I was thinking about that for Evan — how could it not?  So extremely difficult mentally to take on that role day in and day out for weeks.

• Like 1

So I'm not crazy. I knew they hadn't given Television Actor-Drama but thought I just missed it, since they gave Television Actress-Drama so long ago. Did they forget? 

Btw, for those still interested, we're now down to 5 categories to be handed out in six minutes. But I guess at this rate they may be done by quarter past.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, I suspect the Will Smith references is going to a thing this award season.  You know the Oscars themselves will have it all throughout their telecast.

You're probably right but not many are going to sting as badly or land so well as Eddie Murphy's drop.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones never actually won a Globe, so it's kind of funny House of the Dragon wins in its first try.  Congrats for being better than season eight!  Kidding, I enjoyed it.  

Love seeing both Emma and Milly up there too!

Edited by thuganomics85