Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't see the actual show, but am commenting on the shallow, fashion end of things, based on photos I've seen:

There's been a lot of mention of Jennifer Lawrence's dress as being one of (if not THE) best of the night.  Personally, while I thought the color was good on her, I found the weird overlong bodice combined with the cutouts to be very unflattering.

I absolutely loved her dress, so I am stunned to see that it was a favorite. I usually never seem to agree with the experts on this sort of thing.

Though I loved her outfit, I wish she and her BFF Amy Schumer would have a fight or break up or whatever. I hate them together and the friendship doesn't seem at all genuine.

• Love 2

Though I loved her outfit, I wish she and her BFF Amy Schumer would have a fight or break up or whatever. I hate them together and the friendship doesn't seem at all genuine.

It's so fake. I've no doubt that it will fizzle eventually. They come across like they've been reading all of the hype about them and are now revelling in it.

It's so fake. I've no doubt that it will fizzle eventually. They come across like they've been reading all of the hype about them and are now revelling in it.

I think they're trying to come across as the younger version of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but the difference is that the Tina/Amy friendship seems real to me while Jennifer/Amy doesn't.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

This feels like a weak year for movies. The only thing that has stood out to me so far is Hell or High Water. I've yet to see Moonlight, La La Land, or Manchester by the Sea though so maybe one of those will blow me away. 

As far as TV, I'll go ahead and say it, I don't get the Stranger Things or Mr. Robot hype. I watched both and was left wondering what I was missing. But otherwise pretty solid choices. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, double-elvis said:

This feels like a weak year for movies. The only thing that has stood out to me so far is Hell or High Water. I've yet to see Moonlight, La La Land, or Manchester by the Sea though so maybe one of those will blow me away. 

As far as TV, I'll go ahead and say it, I don't get the Stranger Things or Mr. Robot hype. I watched both and was left wondering what I was missing. But otherwise pretty solid choices. 

Stranger Things has nostalgia going for it. If you're not feeling that, it probably doesn't seem very good.

Mr. Robot S1 was fantastic. S2 was a mess. 

There are so many scripted dramas nowadays that it always seems something is getting snubbed.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy

Rachel Bloom, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, VEEP

Sarah Jessica Parker, DIVORCE

Issa Rae, INSECURE

Gina Rodriguez, JANE THE VIRGIN

Tracee Ellis Ross, BLACK-ISH

Only the HFPA would put Sarah Jessica Parker in that company for a mess like Divorce while overlooking the total goodness of Brooklyn Nine-Nine in every freakin' category.  Yeesh.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Only the HFPA would put Sarah Jessica Parker in that company for a mess like Divorce while overlooking the total goodness of Brooklyn Nine-Nine in every freakin' category.  Yeesh.

I will never understand how the HFPA could give a win to Andy Samberg and the show for the first half of its first season (a well deserved win, but the weakest run of episodes) and then continually forget it exists for every year after that. But then again, I also don't understand how Andre Braugher doesn't run away with the Best Supporting Actor category in every tv awards show and why Andy Samberg is repeatedly snubbed for doing really great work. 

• Love 9

Anyone around for this? I am currently TV-less and wondering if I'll be able to stream the red carpet and awards.  E and NBC might have live streaming but my connection might not be up to it.

Stopping by to say I'll miss watching this with everyone tonight, but I got a free ticket to see Wicked.  So I guess I have to go...  

Hope it's a fun night for everyone!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Anyone around for this? I am currently TV-less and wondering if I'll be able to stream the red carpet and awards.  E and NBC might have live streaming but my connection might not be up to it.

I don't know if this will be of any help to you or not but the GG Red Carpet will be streaming live on Twitter here.

I'm here and watching E! red carpet now.  Is Gulianna still around?  I haven't seen her in awhile.  Kris Jenner is doing a good job.  I like her when I have seen her do anything or be a guest.  I don't watch the Kardashians so my exposure is limited. 

I have my ballot filled out and am waiting eagerly for the globes. This awards show is always fun. Giulianna is there in a huge dress designed to mask the fact that she is a stick figure.

I guess I haven't seen Hugh Grant for awhile because wow, he looked so much older. Not criticizing, it just made me want to look in the mirror because I remember thinking he was hot way back when I first saw him in Sense and Sensibility. 

• Love 1

omg, enough will all the plunging necklines! aka missing necklines, or thick suspenders etc.

not sure why but a lot of the fashion is giving me 90s. Esp. Michelle Williams.

Edited by Refresh
or -> aka
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Refresh said:

omg, enough will all the plunging necklines! aka missing necklines, or thick suspenders etc.

not sure why but a lot of the fashion is giving me 90s. Esp. Michelle Williams.

The hair and ribbon around her neck screamed 1995. 

• Love 1

Jessica Biel -- I thought she was so pretty in the TV show she was on when younger ( sorry, forgot the name).  Since then, I don't see it.  She has a good shape.   I think she and Justin are cute together.

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Michelle Williams was so good in Manchester -- especially that one scene; brought me to tears.

That scene is one of, if not THE best acted scenes ever filmed.  I adore Viola Davis and I'm fairly certain she's going to win tonight and probably the Oscar too, but Michelle Williams acting in THAT scene was absolutely stunning.

As for fashion, my favorites tonight are Lily Collins and Tracee Ellis Ross.  Just saw Janelle Monae getting out of the limo and the top half of her looks adorable; can't wait to see the bottom!  I love her style.