Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I worry that she is going to keep working him (because as she admit, he seems to get her these awards), and she isn't going to actually branch out and try other things.  Now that the Hunger Games are done, this would be the best opportunity to try and stretch herself, and I worry she's just going to keep working with him, in hopes he'll get her a second Oscar.

I think part of it is that he's willing to cast her for parts that she's really too young for. For actresses of her age there's actually not much out there that's substantial - mostly just girlfriend parts, crappy teen movies, that kind of thing. It's hard to find the next Winter's Bone or another of the few YA heroines who aren't totally obsessed with which boy to choose. She wants to act in worthwhile projects, so for now that means basically David O. Russell and developing stuff herself, as she's doing. When she gets into her late 20s, her 30s, there will be a higher number of quality roles out there for which she's age-appropriate.

• Love 1

Oooh...Brie Larson's dress is absolutely gorgeous.  I would love to see Room, but of course it's not playing in my little hometown.  (Same with Spotlight, which I've been dying to see since I saw the first trailer for it.)

Who wants to bet they don't try to play Leo off stage???

Edited by wallflower75

I guess this give Brie Larson a good boost, since most are thinking it is between her and Saoirse Ronan for the almighty Oscar.

I guess Eddie Redmayne isn't that close with Alicia Vikander, since he didn't storm out in protest over her losing, heh.

Edited by thuganomics85
Worse Lawrence seems to think that's normal like a sports coach so she'll probably put up with it for the long term.

Not always apparently, as there was the story of her and David getting into it so badly on the set of Joy that Weinstein had to come down to Chicago to play mediator. The cynic in me actually wondered if that was what was behind all that creepy fawning she did towards him in her speech. Sort of a "look, see we totally love each other."

That said, the creepy fawning aside, one, I'm glad Jennifer won because I saw Joy and thought she was great in it. The movie wasn't perfect but she did an amazing job in my opinion and essentially carried the film. Also, I will say that as annoying as her "quirky/I'm a normal girl" thing can get at times (and I say this as someone who likes Jennifer), I like that she always keeps her speeches simple and to the point. She thanks the director, cast, the other film people and that's it. Doesn't try to be too funny or clever. I wish more actors would do the same. These things would run a lot shorter and Ricky wouldn't be looking so tortured. 

Eddie Redmayne really needs to eat some sammiches.

He's never really been that big to begin with but I know he lost quite a bit of weight for The Danish Girl and I'm not sure he's gained it back. 

Wow, wasn't expecting anyone other than Cate.

Nah the race has pretty much been between Brie and Soairse for awhile now. And most had Brie as the odds on favorite to win. 

Why is Leo getting a standing O?

Because the industry loves him and they REALLY want to see him win that Oscar. I know this isn't the Oscars but I really feel like this is sign of things to come with people really getting behind him this year. I can't see him not winning the Oscar.

Can it be?!  Does this mean it might finally be Leo's time?  Or will Matt Damon, master of comedy, be his undoing come Oscar time?!

I actually think if there is a race (and I don't think there is but if there is one...) it's between Leo and Eddie. Matt Damon getting snubbed by the SAG puts his chances for an Oscar nomination as iffy. 

eta: And just like that, looks like Innaritu may have another Birdman surprise on his hand. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't know, Leo.  I like Tom Hardy, but he strikes me as someone who would bury someone, if he felt it would help his acting craft.  Just saying: I would not want to fuck with Tom Hardy.

ETA: Yes! Drunk Harrison Ford will be making an appearance!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Why is Leo getting a standing O?

He normally does when he wins, but I think people are really pulling for him this year.  Barring a full blown disaster GIF moment aside, he's way ahead of everyone else in the category.  

• Love 1

I really do like Leo in general. (I've not typically found him "hot" per se, but I will say that I found his role in "The Departed" one of the sexiest I've seen in a long time.).  BUT... for some reason, when I see him talk, I always feel like he's perpetually got a mouth full of chew tucked into his bottom lip! LOL 

• Love 1

I don't know if I can watch The Revenant. They did an episode of The Dollop Podcast on Hugh Glass and such a great job of it that for me the story's kind of done.

Plus I can't stand Leo as a general rule (The Departed an exception, eg). I spent most of Titanic waiting for him to just die already.

• Love 2
I see him as Danny too, with a bit of Paris' boyfriend from Gilmore Girls as well.

He'll always be Jonathan from Buffy the Vampire the Slayer to me.

I get being tired of Jennifer Lawrence's quirkiness but I'd be actually annoyed if she suddenly stopped because people are now over it. THAT would really prove it was all just an act!

Edited by VCRTracking

Isn't this the first time that he's won a golden globe? Unless that was an Oscar he hasn't won.

Someone upthread says he's won a Globe before (but no Oscar). So that's not it, but even if it was, it's not like he's 70 and never won. Is there a sense that's he's the Susan Lucci or something?

Wow, they really liked The Revenant (I think it's pretty good, for the record, though it wouldn't have been my choice).

They weren't "Native Americans", Alejandro.  They're First Nations; listen to Leo.

• Love 2

Damn, The Revenant over Spotlight?  It seems to building steam at the right time.  What is crazy is that it is from the same guys who did Birdman, so it would be strange if they somehow win the Oscar two years in a row.  Of course, the Globes don't always predict the Oscars accurately, so this could all end up being nothing.

I still delights me that Mad Max: Fury Road is at least in the conversation.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1
I don't know, Leo.  I like Tom Hardy, but he strikes me as someone who would bury someone, if he felt it would help his acting craft.  Just saying: I would not want to fuck with Tom Hardy.

Well, you may be right, because apparently Tom Hardy is a real *sshole.

I hope Leo wins an Oscar.  Matt Damon was on Graham Norton and had some really interesting comments about winning his Oscar when he did and not having to chase it his whole career.  I'd like to see Leo win his now so he doesn't have that albatross hanging around his neck any longer. He's definitely deserving. 

• Love 1

I am not a fan of Jim Carrey - but I did like his banter.  He was just playing off Ricky that these awards so don't matter.

And I liked Ridley's speech.  Man has made some amazing movies - let him talk as long as he wants to.  He really hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves as a director.  Blade Runner,  Alien, Thelma and Louise.  Gladiator.   The Martian,

And I am 20 minutes behind as always.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 2