Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Megastars and Meltdowns

• Start Topic

I’m not sure when the other thread unlocks but the episode is over so I started a new one. Why does the title on the other say episode 2? Did I miss the premiere? 

I missed the 1st 1/2 of the episode and tuned in as Travis was spewing pi. It was so obvious who he was and he has a few of his dad’s features that even the HGs guessed it. I did have to google to confirm.

Wtf with Carly’s exit drama! Don’t they pack before the vote off like in Big Brother to where you have to leave immediately?

• Like 3

I am going to try very hard and not google or read spoilers! Last year, I knew Laverne Cox's twin brother right off, but I recognize NO ONE this time. The redhead looks insanely familiar, though.

The guitar player whose relative is also a musician is a dead ringer for Stephen Coletti from Laguna Beach. I'd have sworn that was his relative, if I didn't know Stephen isn't a musician and is the youngest sibling.

It's nice that Carly's blathering on about FAMOUZZZZ her relative was turned out out to be legit. Can't think of a bigger star than Tom Hanks. She is as big of an embarrassment to him as his son, Chet.

• Like 5

What a bizarre meltdown!!! Really, girl, it’s time for you to grow up.

I knew Chris immediately - he looks just like his dad. And I guessed Hugo and then confirmed his grandfather via Google.  But the others are still a mystery to me.

• Like 5
(edited)

I only caught the guessing end part & oh my!  Gonna have to go watch the full ep.  I totally thought she was related to Lisa Whelchel (I was thinking daughter) based on looks only & was stunned she wasn’t. 

Edited by pennben
  • Like 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, pennben said:

I only caught to guessing end part & oh my!  Gonna have to go watch the full ep.  I totally thought she was related to Lisa Whelchel (I was thinking daughter) based on looks only & was stunned she wasn’t. 

Lisa Whelchel? No, this show's premise is that the relative is famous and relevant.  😉

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • LOL 3
(edited)

I think the clue about Shayne seems to indicate that she's related to

Spoiler

Eddie Murphy. I can't remember the first part, but the last part was a play button, a buck, and some wheat. Played Buckwheat = Eddie Murphy.

ETA: This is a guess. I have no confirmation.

Also, that exit was one of the most classless things I've seen in a while.

Edited by helpmerhonda
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3

I LOVE Tom Hanks; his niece really freaked out about going home! 🤯

The clue board CLEARLY indicated that a relative of Tom Hanks was in the house.  She should’ve played it cool, then maybe they wouldn’t have suspected that it was her! 🤔

I think that I know who Chris’ famous relative is, as well as Travis. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, JJ1 said:

What a bizarre meltdown!!! Really, girl, it’s time for you to grow up.

I knew Chris immediately - he looks just like his dad. And I guessed Hugo and then confirmed his grandfather via Google.  But the others are still a mystery to me.

Who is Hugo's relative? Can you post a spoiler about it. Is it someone who the other inmates are going to guess quickly so he'll be gone? I took an instant dislike to him and watching for an hour didn't improve my impression of him so I'm hoping he's a quick boot.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, shok said:

Who is Hugo's relative? Can you post a spoiler about it. Is it someone who the other inmates are going to guess quickly so he'll be gone? I took an instant dislike to him and watching for an hour didn't improve my impression of him so I'm hoping he's a quick boot.

Spoiler

I’m pretty sure Hugo is Jimmy Carter’s grandson (Amy Carter’s son).

I actually kinda liked him. He just seemed like he didn’t quite fit in with the more flamboyant players. 

Edited by JJ1

Wow!  I guess Carly felt entitled, but that was beyond belief.  I think it surprised the house mates as well.  What a meltdown!  Of course Hugo would pick her if he was confident of who she was-he certainly didn't want to go home, so he needed to pick someone (anyone) who he thought he could guess correctly.  

I am pretty sure I know who Hugo is (and I know not to post speculation, so no worries).  I thought I had an idea of Chris, but after tonight, not so sure (but have it down to two guesses).

The Jonas brothers hosts are fun, the mansion is beautiful, and I am engaged in trying to figure out who everyone is related to.  However, I do hope that this won't be a season of epic meltdowns when people are eliminated.  I wonder if Carly will still be invited to Thanksgiving dinner...

• Like 6

Reminder: Speculation and guessing based on the clues or looks of the contestants is perfectly fine and does not need to be spoiler tagged. If you're googling to confirm who these people are, that does need to be spoiler tagged.

• Like 3

I thought I recognized Chris the first time I saw him, and then when he gave a couple of clues (singing, "look just like my relative", I knew he was:

Spoiler

Donny Osmond's son.

He seemed a bit arrogant, to me, but maybe I was just in a bad mood last night. LOL!

• Like 2

Chris sort of reminds me of the country guy last year but possibly less nice and more cocky.  He reminds me of either Donny  Osmond or John Mayer.  The redhead girl looks familiar but I can't place her. 

I don't get when they give their 2 truths and the lie they say something like "musician" and then "emmy".  Most likely that means that one of those is a lie which means "who" the person is must be a truth.  I think I would make my lie about who I was related to, like say "sister" when it's actually your uncle.  If Carly had done that, they may have guessed Tom Hanks but not for her as they would think she had a female relative.  I thought she looked more like Jim Carrey, especially with all her strange faces.  In her defense, she probably did have the most obvious clues on the clue board which probably was frustrating.  

So far I like this cast and I really love this show.   I like how it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Anyone make a list of their 2 truths and a lie?  I didn't record the episode and I find it fun to play along.  

• Like 7
(edited)

I totally didn't realize the second season premier was last night.  Am catching it on Hulu now. 

OMG, Chris has to be Donny Osmond's son.  He's like a younger version of Donny.

eta:  Re Tom's niece's meltdown, what an embarrassment for Tom and his wife.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 11

I wish when they were doing their talking heads, they would put reminders on the screen of their 2 truths and a lie, kind of like Survivor does with their occupation. Especially at the beginning, they all start running together and I forget who said what. 😂

• Like 10

Okay, since we are able to post speculation, I think Hugo is related to President Clinton (Roger's son).  I think he has some physical similarities and he said his relative had been the most powerful person on earth.  As for Chris, I thought it was Donny Osmond (from his full face view he looks a lot like him).  No spoilers, I haven't checked my guesses against anything (i.e. my friend Google), just guesses.

• Like 2
(edited)

My 17 year-old granddaughter figured out that rebus clue for Shayne - the last 3 pictures are "play buck wheat" - and the first clues are "king missing coming to america" -- it has to be Eddie Murphy. This is pure speculation but I think it fits perfectly.

Edited by anniebird
  • Like 10
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Did they not say who gave fake names or not? That would go a long way in some cases.

I think I caught a commercial for this show last week which said something to the effect that this season, we can play along from home. So I’m not surprised to see the changes in the show’s format. I remember last year the show came right out and told us who some of the relatives were, and that some of their names were made up/changed. 

• Like 1

I am really enjoying this season - or, I am anticipating enjoying it now that the blonde woman is gone, and I hope there are no more tantrums. 

I see that Chris looks like an Osmond.  But his facial expressions makes me think of Colin Jost.   I don't really have any guess for the rest.  Is there a picture of that board with all the clues?  because looking at that would be helpful in figuring out who everyone is. 

• Like 3

Okay, since I had nothing else to do, I gathered together all of the "2 Truths and a Lie". Some of them did not reveal all three, but quick glimpses of their notebooks showed most of the rest of the clues. Those notebook parts I've shown with an *asterisk. (And if there are any mistakes, please feel free to correct me!)

Chris: *Father, *Singer, Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

Monay: Father, Athlete, Emmy 

Jane: Father, Musician, Grammy

Hugo: Grandfather, Athlete, Nobel Peace Prize

Shayne: Father, Musician, Grammy

Gabriel: Brother, *Athlete, NAACP Award

J.R. Brother, *Singer, *NBA Championship Ring

Cole: Father, *Singer, *Grammy

Olivia: *Brother, Razzie Award (could not find the occupation)

Travis: Father, Actor, Critic's Choice Award

Karsyn: *Uncle, Musician, *Some kind of Hall of Fame

Carly: CARLY WHO?? (LOL)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Chet Hanks is their son.  Tom's niece's shenanigans are nothing compared to the shit Chet has done throughout the years.

Yes, lol, I've heard a bit about Chet over the years on TMZ.

1 hour ago, Catgyrl68 said:

Okay, since I had nothing else to do, I gathered together all of the "2 Truths and a Lie". Some of them did not reveal all three, but quick glimpses of their notebooks showed most of the rest of the clues. Those notebook parts I've shown with an *asterisk. (And if there are any mistakes, please feel free to correct me!)

I think Chris's 2 Truths and a Lie were uncle, musician, star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. The lie must be uncle. I think his father is the relative. 

• Useful 1

I think the ideal relative is a cousin or uncle/aunt. If you have too close of a relationship (twin, parent), you have a resemblance that can give you away or been spotted in the media with your famous relative. Preferably, a star from a bygone era a la Pepper and Dean Martin, where the younger contestants are far less likely to have heard of them. Pepper was a weak player, but her rather obscure relative helped get her far.

Carly should never have said her relative had an Oscar. That's a relatively smaller pool than, say, an athlete.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, JJ1 said:

I think Chris's 2 Truths and a Lie were uncle, musician, star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. The lie must be uncle. I think his father is the relative. 

Thank you! I knew I might have missed some. He did say it was his dad and that he “looks just like him”. 

• Like 1

OK. I thought Carly kind of looked like Rita Wilson.  I guess she picked Tom since he is more famous.  Also, I after her "tantrum" I almost wonder if she was a plant.  It seemed weird they still had her miked.   Also her "talent" was pretty lame.  That said, I picked Tom right away.  But the looking like Rita Wilson sealed it for me.

• Applause 2
21 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

OK. I thought Carly kind of looked like Rita Wilson.  I guess she picked Tom since he is more famous.  Also, I after her "tantrum" I almost wonder if she was a plant.  It seemed weird they still had her miked.   Also her "talent" was pretty lame.  That said, I picked Tom right away.  But the looking like Rita Wilson sealed it for me.

I thought she might be a plant, too! All of the histrionics! LOL

I wanted to ask her what role she was auditioning for! 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I’m so glad they didn’t randomly give away any of the celebrities this time. It is so much better this way. 

Carly was an idiot for using Oscar winner as one of her truths. For all her complaining about the unfairness of the clues it was her need to let people know she’s related to an Oscar winner that caused them to zero in on it and her. 

The fact that no one on the show has mentioned a single Osmond with Chris is depressing. He has Osmond written all over him.

Once again it does make me want to see someone guess the wrong relative of someone related to more than one famous person. Which for people who come from famous families it could create a situation where you they get to stick around longer because people can’t figure out the correct relative. 

11 hours ago, anniebird said:

My 17 year-old granddaughter figured out that rebus clue for Shayne - the last 3 pictures are "play buck wheat" - and the first clues are "king missing coming to america" -- it has to be Eddie Murphy. This is pure speculation but I think it fits perfectly.

This is the perfect example of how Carly screwed up. Another huge star but Shayne picked an award that did not point directly at him. 

2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I guess she picked Tom since he is more famous.

I doubt that the producer would have let her pick Rita. 

2 hours ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

I thought she might be a plant, too! All of the histrionics! LOL

It wouldn’t surprise me the least. She is an actress so that may have been all her. Looking at her IMDb is interesting. Her Uncle Tom got her small roles in two of his movies over a decade ago but nothing in his more recent movies. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Dani said:

The fact that no one on the show has mentioned a single Osmond with Chris is depressing. He has Osmond written all over him.

I'm thinking their youth has something to do with it.  Those of us who grew up with the Osmonds can see the resemblance right away, but they probably aren't as familiar with Donny and his siblings as we are.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 10
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/27/2023 at 2:15 PM, Catgyrl68 said:

Monay: Father, Athlete, Emmy 

Jane: Father, Musician, Grammy

Hugo: Grandfather, Athlete, Nobel Peace Prize

Shayne: Father, Musician, Grammy

Gabriel: Brother, *Athlete, NAACP Award

J.R. Brother, *Singer, *NBA Championship Ring

Cole: Father, *Singer, *Grammy

Olivia: *Brother, Razzie Award (could not find the occupation)

Travis: Father, Actor, Critic's Choice Award

Karsyn: *Uncle, Musician, *Some kind of Hall of Fame

Carly: CARLY WHO?? (LOL)

I wrote them down also but thanks for filling in the gaps for the contestants who didn't reveal all three on camera.

Interestingly, every celebrity relative was reported to be a man. I'm sure some will turn out to be women. 

I also took notes as to which reveals were truths or lies as stated in their talking heads, but now I'm wondering if they're allowed to lie to the audience also? Because JR said that his relative being his "brother" was the lie, but that would mean that the relative is a singer who's won an NBA championship ring. How can both those things be true? lol

FWIW, here are the lies/truths as stated in their interviews:

Chris: "singer" is true. Either father or star in Hollywood walk of fame is a lie.

JR: "brother" is a lie, so singer and NBA championship ring are true. (may need to go back and check the tape on the one!) -EDIT - upon rewatch, JR said he lied about his brother winning an NBA championship. So, brother and singer are true. Oops!

Hugo: "athlete" is a lie, so grandfather and Nobel peace prize are true. As mentioned above, he said his relative was once the most powerful man in the world. If grandfather is true, he can't be Bill Clinton's relative. I don't want to google Nobel Peace price winners but it should be easy to narrow it down. Kissinger and Nixon seem too old. (I know someone posted the answer above but I don't want to look 🙈)

EDIT: Hugo actually said Nobel prize, not peace prize. But he did say the most powerful man in the world, so the speculation still fits.

Gabriel:  "athlete" is a lie, so brother and NAACP award are true.

Carly: just Wow. Did you catch that her final screaming rant was about her lack of screen time? 😂 First thing that popped into my head:

image.png.3a24913a0cd801c665726dfb01b00412.png

Edited by kassandra8286
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm thinking their youth has something to do with it.  Those of us who grew up with the Osmonds can see the resemblance right away, but they probably aren't as familiar with Donny and his siblings as we are.

That’s exactly why it depresses me. Not so much that they’re young but it’s such a sign of getting older when what you think is common knowledge isn’t anymore. I didn’t even grow up with the Osmonds but they were so prevalent in pop culture for decades that it was impossible not to know them. 

I really wish they would add some age diversity to the group. They seem some young and clueless, as a whole. 

The story Travis told about the picture of him with famous women was so creepy that I was hoping he was making it up. But if he is related to Neil Degrasse Tyson it probably was true. 

13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I know the Osmonds but I didn't really automatically see a resemblance with Chris. He reminded me of Spencer Pratt lol.

I think he has the Osmond eyes and nose. Or at least how their eyes and nose looked before all the plastic surgery. 

8 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

I also took notes as to which reveals were truths or lies as stated in their talking heads, but now I'm wondering if they're allowed to lie to the audience also? Because JR said that his relative being his "brother" was the lie, but that would mean that the relative is a singer who's won an NBA championship ring. How can both those things be true? lol

I didn’t hear him say that brother was a lie but I definitely could have missed it. His reasoning for shooting basketballs in the talent show made me think he was saying NBA championship was the lie. 

9 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yeah, if it's true that he is an Osmond, I think he's going to go pretty far in the competition. The Osmonds haven't been relevant for decades. I can see none of the younger competitors figuring him out. He seems to be this season's Pepper with a relative from a bygone era.

• Like 4
On 6/27/2023 at 8:25 AM, Katie111 said:

I don't get when they give their 2 truths and the lie they say something like "musician" and then "emmy". 

Or athlete and Nobel Prize, lol.    

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I know the Osmonds but I didn't really automatically see a resemblance with Chris. He reminded me of Spencer Pratt lol.

Spoiler

Like @Dani mentioned above, unless you remember what Donny looked like at Chris's age, it would difficult with all that plastic surgery he's had.  

8 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah, if it's true that he is an Osmond, I think he's going to go pretty far in the competition. The Osmonds haven't been relevant for decades. I can see none of the younger competitors figuring him out. He seems to be this season's Pepper with a relative from a bygone era.

This makes me feel old.   The first concert I ever went to was the Osmonds.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1

On The View today they showed Carly's tantrum and were laughing about it.  Whoopi was comparing it to when her granddaughter was on last season and had a bit of a meltdown when she left.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
58 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

On The View today they showed Carly's tantrum and were laughing about it.  Whoopi was comparing it to when her granddaughter was on last season and had a bit of a meltdown when she left.  

Whoopi's granddaughter was the previous worst loser.

• Like 3

What killed me about Carly's tantrum (and many other reality tantrums) is when she said "I deserve to be here."

Girl, no. You are on a reality tv show because you are related to someone famous. No one deserves to be there. STFU.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

There are some current and former NBA players who also sing so that one isn't out of the realm of possibility.  I know Damian Lillard does (but he doesn't have a ring). And Shaq has put out albums at some point in the past (and he has multiple rings). I'm pretty sure Iman Shumpert sings, and he has won a ring. Now that I think of it, he may be my guess for JR's relative. 

The only cast members I feel fairly certain of (without googling, so this is still speculation):

Hugo - He's got to be Jimmy Carter's grandson. We know he was lying about the athlete part, so his relative is his grandpa. And I know Jimmy definitely won the Nobel Prize. I'll be shocked if his relative ends up being anyone but Jimmy. 

Shayne - that clue was absolutely about Eddie Murphy, with Coming to America and Buckwheat references. 

And then, of course, we have Carly. Jesus, Carly.  First, she made it beyond obvious to everyone. She practically hyperventilated when anyone suggested any clue on the wall was about Tom Hanks. And she was way too obvious about trying to redirect people when they touched on any Hanks clues. I don't like Hugo, but of course he was going to pick her. She was the only really slam dunk guess, and he didn't want to go home. That meltdown was really something. I thought it was enough when they told her to say goodbye to her castmates, and she just stormed out. But then, she really went for it. Shrieking about screen time, complaining that the clues were too obvious. the dig about Gabriel figuring out the bench, even though he's not smart. Damn, she had a little bit of everything.  Hugo did everyone a huge favor sending her home. Could you imagine how much worse she would have gotten over later episodes when it only became more obvious who she was related to? As others have said, it was her own fault for using the Oscar as one of her truths. She should have lied her ass off about his biggest award and been honest about the other two  items. Because if one of the cast members says their relative won an Oscar and then you walk in to see that clue wall and there's that iconic bench, you know exactly who their relative is.  The only downside for Hugo in sending Carly home was that, in her desperation to redirect people from the Hanks clues, she was convincing people the astronaut was up there because Hugo is Buzz Aldrin's grandson. Now that they know (or should figure out) that the astronaut was for Apollo 13, that misdirection on his relative should probably end for at least some people. 

I was really thinking John Mayer for Chris, but you all have made a compelling case for Donny Osmond. I wonder if he's been told before that he kind of looks like John Mayer, and he's intentionally playing that up. 

• Like 1

Carly was on TMZ.  She loves reality TV and is really looking for a chance at being a Real Housewife or something.  She said she worked at SUR and was almost on Vanderpump Rules.  She wanted attention and now she is getting it.  

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, LakeGal said:

Carly was on TMZ.

She swears she wasn't acting--that she was really upset.  I'm beginning to wonder.  Maybe a little of each.  Yeah, she could be simply a whiny immature brat who didn't get her way, but she could also realize a meltdown on the show (which would be sure to be picked up by the press since she's related to a major movie star) would be her pathway to another reality show.  

• Like 5