Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: A Romantic Getaway and a Germanic Meat-Based Diet; S06.E22: A Tornado, a 10-Hour Flight and a Darn Fine Ring

• Start Topic

I am wondering if the time in Germany will be the start of the shift to Mary being more assertive with Sheldon.  On BBT it was made clear that she was pretty much the only person he would listen to.   This isn't coming clear on YS up to this point.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Just a few random thoughts, many of which have already been posted.

• Mandy is just like her mom. RUN, GEORGIE!!
  • Sheldon more likable than Missy through much of the episode. Who'da thunk it?
  • Attention friendly flight attendant: The passenger in the aisle seat next to Professor Visiting is in dire need of a gin and tonic, too.
  • Pastor Jeff's brother, the "fun uncle" ... in rehab? Will we get to meet him?
  • Dale is killing it. A veritable old guy stand up (with the necessary assistance) comic.
  • George and Missy have such a wonderful relationship. Sigh ...

Gonna miss the Cooper family, warts and all, and hope they'll be back on screen as soon as possible in the fall.

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
13 minutes ago, Kaycee said:

George and Mary discussing who was going to Germany with Sheldon. George had more travelling experience, would give Sheldon tough love and prepare him better for the real world.

Frankly, I don't think Mary could stand the thought of being without Shelly for a whole summer!  She would not have gone to a lot of trouble to accompany Missy, Georgie or George on a trip, but Shelly is her true love in that family.  I think she would have been too worried that Shelly was not being taken care of properly if she did not accompany him.  

When the kids commented about how nice and quiet it was when Sheldon was in the hospital - she didn't like it.  When Sheldon went missing from the psychiatrist's office and George said something like 'don't worry if someone had kidnapped him, they would return him when they realized who they had' she gave him such a dirty look.  She just will not come to grips with his very difficult personality and all she does is coddle him thereby encouraging him with constant excuses as to his behavior. 

I don't think she would have let him go to Germany without being there to oversee everything. 

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Kaycee said:

George and Mary discussing who was going to Germany with Sheldon. George had more travelling experience, would give Sheldon tough love and prepare him better for the real world.

I agree. George is right quite a bit of time when it comes to Sheldon but Mary frequently overules him. George, when he takes an active interest Sheldon, tries to help prepare for the world and help him fit into it. Mary thinks her little Shelly is just a perfect angel and everyone should recognize that and do what he wants. In the long term, more time with George and Mary listening to George would have been good for Sheldon

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 5/19/2023 at 9:22 AM, proserpina65 said:

Initially, when Mandy said they should get married, I was telling her "Don't do it, he's a sweet kid but he's still a kid.", but by the time they were at her mother's house, it was Georgie I was advising to not get married.

The only adults who seem to have a sensible idea of what a marriage would be between Georgie and Mandy are George, MeeMaw and Mandy's father.  Those three seem to see the practical obstacles of a marriage. 

Mandy's mother lied and told people that they are already married to make things look proper.  Therefore Mandy decides to have a big wedding to show her mother up and let everyone know they were not already married.  Mary only wants a marriage to satisfy the church and members so she (Mary) will look good.  Neither Mandy's mother nor Mary seem to take into account what will be best for Mandy and Georgie or how sensible a marriage would be for a 18 year old and an almost 30 year old. 

Georgie lives in a garage and Mandy and the baby live with her baby father's grandma.  Georgie still feels he needs to borrow a lot of money from MeeMaw to buy a ring as it is 'important' for the ring to be a real diamond.  Even before the tornado ruined the garage, where would Georgie, Mandy and the baby live after marriage?  No one appears to have any money or solid plans for a realistic life after marriage.  

These are not two people who are totally in love and crazy about each other.  I do think they both love the baby, but they are not mature enough to jump into a marriage.  They both are needy, but marriage is not the answer for them at this time.  It will be interesting to see where this goes.....

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

In the long term, more time with George and Mary listening to George would have been good for Sheldon

I think Sheldon would ultimately have had much easier time in his pre-Leonard adulthood had George still been there. And the way narrator-Sheldon speaks now, reflecting back on his childhood with the perspective of age, he knows it. In my head Leonard Cooper’s middle name is George.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kaycee said:

My question how did George and Missy get home, their car was on it side due to the force of the tornado. 

My guess is since it's a small town, everybody knows everybody else. A friend could have driven by. A small town high school coach is pretty well known.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kaycee said:

My question how did George and Missy get home, their car was on it side due to the force of the tornado.

17 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

My guess is since it's a small town, everybody knows everybody else. A friend could have driven by. A small town high school coach is pretty well known.

Right - and just before the tornado, George did say something about how they were almost home, so possibly walking distance?

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Right - and just before the tornado, George did say something about how they were almost home, so possibly walking distance?

And people (or police) might have gone out after the storm passed to check if there was anyone on the roads needing help.

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

And people (or police) might have gone out after the storm passed to check if there was anyone on the roads needing help.

After a storm like that, you'll have your emergency vehicles on the road; people who are racing to find family; and the looky-loos out getting in the way.  After a day or two comes the looters. That's when you lock and load.   ;) 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I missed the live airing and can't find E:22 anywhere! 😰

The cbs website?  I thought you could get to the most recent stuff without a cable login. Maybe it’s a few days before it’s available?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The cbs website?  I thought you could get to the most recent stuff without a cable login. Maybe it’s a few days before it’s available?

E:21 is available through the website and Paramount+. That's how I watched it today but E:22 isn't online. I actually thought it was next week. Hopefully, they put it up soon.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2023 at 10:16 AM, vibeology said:

I'm not surprised Missy still snuck out of the house. Being grounded for the summer is a long time to not go out.

Having Mandy and CeeCee living in Sheldon's room for the summer will provide a chance for Missy to spend more time with an understanding big "sister" as well as the chance to possibly babysit (especially since Connie won't be as available and Mary is not available at all.) Both would be good for Missy.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:53 AM, vibeology said:

The place where he lives and expects to return to in a few months with nothing untouched because he's that anal.

I'm thinking that the train table will need to be shoved over, if there's room to shove it, to make space for CeeCee's crib. Which will have to be new, because all of Mandy and CeeCee's stuff is probably gone except what was in the diaper bag.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:12 PM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

George doesn't work in the summer; what are he and Missy even living on, with Mary gone?

On 5/19/2023 at 1:47 PM, chitowngirl said:

12 month school district employees can opt to get paid over 12 months instead of just during the school year.

On 5/19/2023 at 3:11 PM, proserpina65 said:

Some teachers are paid year-round.  Maybe he's one of them.  And a football coach probably has to go back to work before school actually starts.

Agreed.  I don't believe he's off for 3 whole months. Wouldn't HS football practice start sometime in August? And I agree that Mary's paycheck must be pretty small for them to easily forgo it for the summer.  (Although I suppose the money that was raised might cover her and Sheldon's meals for the summer, but still....)

On 5/19/2023 at 1:31 PM, Snow Apple said:

And now Georgie and Mandi are "doing the right thing" by getting married

Mary has really loosened up, ordering them to wait until she gets back to get married. In the past, she would have just wanted them to get it done.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, SnapHappy said:

With these writers though, it could show next season that Sheldon ended up taking over for that very visiting professor and in fact, becoming a "visiting professor" of sorts.   

Yes, I thought that too. 

~ OR ~ (Said in that certain adult Sheldonian way)

Perhaps something happens to that visiting professor while he's over there now and he's chosen as a last minute replacement for him.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, SnapHappy said:

And maybe the close quarters in the Cooper house later on forces George to find some "peace" outside.  Plus, do we know for certain that Brenda is the blonde that George cheats with? Was that firmly established somewhere?  Not just speculation and previous encounters?

Not just the close quarters, but Mary being away might give him more "courage" to find that "peace" outside the home whether or not it's with Brenda.

As for the rest of these episodes, I'm late to the party and saw them sick with a cold so I don't have much else to contribute.  I've liked a lot of the comments here so far, though!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Mary being away might give him more "courage" to find that "peace" outside the home whether or not it's with Brenda.

In my limited experience with men, I saw that an otherwise monogamous man wouldn't hesitate to engage in coitus with an available, attractive woman if his mate was out of sight for a week or more.
Brenda seems like the only opportunity that George could consider, so that would make it up to her to draw the line.
Or the writers might introduce another "opportunity" when they come back from their strike.
On the third hand, maybe they're done with the infidelity plot.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In my limited experience with men, I saw that an otherwise monogamous man wouldn't hesitate to engage in coitus with an available, attractive woman if his mate was out of sight for a week or more.
Brenda seems like the only opportunity that George could consider, so that would make it up to her to draw the line.
Or the writers might introduce another "opportunity" when they come back from their strike.
On the third hand, maybe they're done with the infidelity plot.

Yup, exactly.  It seems like the perfect setup for what they've been hinting about for a couple of seasons now.  I think this show breaking with "show canon" on some minor points might be a way to keep the audience guessing about that just like we are now.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Kaycee said:

A police officer would have been by eventually and given them a ride home.

• Like 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

just before the tornado, George did say something about how they were almost home, so possibly walking distance?

Yes, George's "we're almost home" served to make viewers worry that he'd try to beat the tornado home instead of getting himself and Missy out of the car and into the ditch,
but that line also let us know that they could walk home from there
— if the police, neighbors, or someone else didn't give them a lift first.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Like 2

Just some little knit-picky details.  It was the station wagon that got flipped not George's truck because there wasn't room for 4 of them plus luggage in the truck going to the airport. 

Why was Pastor Jeff bringing clothes to the laundromat? Did he break up with another wife?

It looked like Sheldon and Mary were in the aisle and middle seats with no one in the window seat. Sheldon would have moved right into the window seat.

I can see Connie moving in with Dale, Reba the ex wife or into Dr Sturgis's place since he's gone for the summer. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Wouldn't HS football practice start sometime in August?

In my neck of the woods, football players go to workouts (weights, etc.) several times a week during the summer, then practice starts in August (shorts & helmets).  They don't go into full pads until a little later.  It's ingrained in me to always remember August as being "shorts & helmets" time!!  George wouldn't necessarily have to be at weight training with the guys every day, but most coaches are there most of the time helping and assessing their players and getting ready for the upcoming season.  Given the circumstances, I'm sure George can take some time off. 

2 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Sheldon would have moved right into the window seat.

He was laser focused on meeting the professor on the plane!  He didn't care about anything else at that point!!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

t looked like Sheldon and Mary were in the aisle and middle seats with no one in the window seat. Sheldon would have moved right into the window seat.

His ticket said 14F, or whatever.  that's where he's supposed to sit.  that is where he would sit.  Besides, IIRC, when they went to Pasadena, he couldn't decide if the window or aisle was the better seat.

• Like 3

I was surprised that not only did Sheldon not correct anyone for using the inaccurate term "tinfoil," he actually said it himself. Totally out of character. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

His ticket said 14F, or whatever.  that's where he's supposed to sit.  that is where he would sit.  Besides, IIRC, when they went to Pasadena, he couldn't decide if the window or aisle was the better seat.

Sheldon strikes me as an aisle man. Easier for bathroom access.

• Like 5
On 5/20/2023 at 4:42 PM, SoMuchTV said:

The tornado hit Connie's house so it seems they were in the vicinity, at least.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:10 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm such a dunce, I didn't realize there were two episodes, so I watched the second without understanding about the proposal.  I thought I must have missed something or the writers were just skipping over something.  Now I have to go back and watch the first episode.  The tornado scene was really stark.  I loved when the flight attendant gave Mary a gin and tonic--and she just chugged the gin.

Me, too! We share the DVR, so I assumed that it was last week’s episode. I almost came here to ask, “In which episode did Sheldon tattle on Missy about possibly planning to do something terrible at the mall?”

• Hugs 1
On 5/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, BitterApple said:

Sheldon strikes me as an aisle man. Easier for bathroom access.

I wonder how his bathroom schedule would work on an airplane. 😄

• LOL 3

I just watched a BBT rerun where Leonard and Sheldon fly to Texas to see Georgie and on the plane Leonard is in the aisle seat and Sheldon is in the middle seat with the window seat empty. I guess the  middle seat is his choice. I guess it's easier to ignore the fact that your thousands of feet in the air in a metal tube if you don't look out the window.  And Sheldon would never sit on the aisle where people could touch him.

On another note, the casting of Missy and Georgie as children and adults is so perfectly synchronized in appearance and mannerisms.  Also from watching reruns, I wish they had carried on with Missy's athleticism or her empathy skills from the testing episode. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 5/20/2023 at 7:28 PM, theredhead77 said:

E:21 is available through the website and Paramount+. That's how I watched it today but E:22 isn't online. I actually thought it was next week. Hopefully, they put it up soon.

Came here to see if I was the only one -- Episode 22 still not available on either outlet (CBS website or Paramount+). 

This is annoying! 

On 5/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, shapeshifter said:

Good call by the director to have Iain Armitage look sincerely concerned for Missy when he apologized to her. 
I don't recall ever seeing such an emotional look on "Sheldon" before, which made it very effective.

I lived in tornado country off and on for 30-odd years, so I was familiar with the recommendation to get out of the car and lay in a ditch, but it never occurred to me that the ditch would (of course) be filled with water. Muddy water. 
I was wondering if the truck would be unscathed and Missy would think it was dumb they had laid in the ditch. I'm glad they didn't do that.

So. 
Are we taking bets on whether or not the pastor finds the box of Raisin Bran?
And, if he does, will Meemaw be obligated to tithe the church out of the box?

I think she’s going to need that money for a new house. Insurance companies, being the thieves that they are, the payout  probably won’t cover a new one. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I think she’s going to need that money for a new house. Insurance companies, being the thieves that they are, the payout  probably won’t cover a new one. 

I read that depending on the area and the company they have for homeowner's insurance, if they live in a county that's prone to tornadoes insurance won't cover it at all unless they purchased a special policy covering wind storms.  I also read that this extra policy is sometimes required depending on where the house is to qualify for a mortgage in that area.  But with Meemaw's house, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, Sailorgirl26 said:

Came here to see if I was the only one -- Episode 22 still not available on either outlet (CBS website or Paramount+). 

This is annoying! 

On 5/26/2023 at 3:04 PM, b4pjoe said:

I watched it on Paramount+ a few days ago but the episode is no longer there. Not sure why they would have removed it.

I found a Reddit thread that the episde was pulled off of all streaming services. Someone said something about blackface, but that scene was cut in the version I watched if that was the case. Someone else said the sirens may have caused issues with the FCC I ended up buying it on Amazon Prime for $1.99.  Not too happy about that but at least I was able to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 5/26/2023 at 3:18 PM, Sailorgirl26 said:

This is annoying! 

11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I found a Reddit thread that the episde was pulled off of all streaming services. Someone said something about blackface, but that scene was cut in the version I watched if that was the case. Someone else said the sirens may have caused issues with the FCC I ended up buying it on Amazon Prime for $1.99.  Not too happy about that but at least I was able to watch it.

That's weird.  I just pulled it up on cbs.com.  I didn't have to log in but it didn't like my ad blocker so I had to try in a browser I don't normally use.  There were a ton of ads and I just skipped through -maybe they took it down for a couple days and edited it?

I still have the one that was aired originally but haven't had a chance to watch.  If there is a scene like that roughly where would it have happened? I'm planning to watch tonight so will keep an eye out for it or an obvious edit.

3 hours ago, Bethany said:

I still have the one that was aired originally but haven't had a chance to watch.  If there is a scene like that roughly where would it have happened? I'm planning to watch tonight so will keep an eye out for it or an obvious edit.

I didn't watch the cbs.com version (other than to verify it played), but then I went back and looked at my YouTubeTV "dvr" version.  In about the last third of the show, there were a couple instances where you could hear sirens and emergency alert signals.  Maybe they quieted them down?  They definitely weren't loud enough to confuse with the real thing.  Even though I have the version I dvr'd, I think YouTubeTV is able to retroactively make changes to those. I still have a few timers set on physical DVR's but unfortunately I didn't have a copy of this episode to check.

The "blackface" thing - I suspect someone is just making that up out of thin air.  I have no idea what that could have referred to.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I didn't watch the cbs.com version (other than to verify it played), but then I went back and looked at my YouTubeTV "dvr" version.  In about the last third of the show, there were a couple instances where you could hear sirens and emergency alert signals.  Maybe they quieted them down?  They definitely weren't loud enough to confuse with the real thing.  Even though I have the version I dvr'd, I think YouTubeTV is able to retroactively make changes to those. I still have a few timers set on physical DVR's but unfortunately I didn't have a copy of this episode to check.

The "blackface" thing - I suspect someone is just making that up out of thin air.  I have no idea what that could have referred to.

I read an article about Young Sheldon getting a large fine the first time they had a tornado because of the siren going off during the show. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it this time though.

Young Sheldon Season 6 Finale Makes The Show’s FCC Fine Ironic

• Useful 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same. Even if there was something I would imagine it would be implied, they wouldn't actually show it, and have adult Sheldon do a voiceover about how wrong it was.

The version I watched on Amazon the siren was very faint, but noticable. If someone who watched it live and feels like rewatching to see if what is available now is more subtle?

I realized I haven't even posted my thoughts on the episode. I thought they were well done. Loved the Missy and George moments. Glad Mary went to Germany, it will be good for her to see outside of her small town view. No judgements for Missy currently hating Sheldon and it was nice to see Sheldon show genuine concern, and hurt, when she slammed the door in his face. These two episodes were some of the best this season. I hope the writers get the compensation they seek soon, so it doesn't delay next season too much. I'm fine suspending their real ages but at some point they're going to look like adults and not teens.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I had no idea that sirens weren't allowed on TV. But when I think about it, I watch a lot of fire/rescue type shows and they always SAY to turn on the siren, but I don't recall actually hearing one. I always thought that was just because it would drown out the dialogue.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I had no idea that sirens weren't allowed on TV. But when I think about it, I watch a lot of fire/rescue type shows and they always SAY to turn on the siren, but I don't recall actually hearing one. I always thought that was just because it would drown out the dialogue.  

I could swear emergency vehicle sirens are used on TV, even briefly. It's the EAS ("tornado sirens") that cause issues. I put that in quotes because it's a general emergency alert siren used nationwide.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would love to see the writers make use of Mary's expanded world view. 

Same. I hope they incorporate that into next season. I'm curious of Mary will learn about the tornado before she gets home. Are all of the lines down? Everyone was in shock and looking for Connie's money but no one seemed concerned about getting a message to Mary. Was there a conversation [offscreen or on the cutting room floor] they decided not to tell her to not cause worry and prevent her from dragging Sheldon on the next flight back?

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I could swear emergency vehicle sirens are used on TV, even briefly. It's the EAS ("tornado sirens") that cause issues. I put that in quotes because it's a general emergency alert siren used nationwide.

Hmm. Interesting.

11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't think it's the siren itself that was the issue because according to the article it's that it sounded too much like the actual real life siren for their taste.  If they had used a more unrealistic sound it wouldn't have been an issue.

• Useful 3
(edited)

I watched both episodes twice before deleting them, and there was no point in either one where blackface could've happened.  Hell, I don't even remember anyone wearing a mud mask at the spa.  Which, to be clear, wouldn't be blackface but I could at least see the confusion there.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I watched both episodes twice before deleting them, and there was no point in either one where blackface could've happened.  Hell, I don't even remember anyone wearing a mud mask at the spa.  Which, to be clear, wouldn't be blackface but I could at least see the confusion there.

Mud mask being used as an excuse to rile up the interwebs with false accusations of blackface makes sense @proserpina65
Thanks for catching that and pointing it out here so I can stop giving deeper social-psycho-linguistic meanings to the claim. 

• Like 1

I really liked both episodes, but the two things that stood out for me were the flight attendant giving Mary the gin and tonic and the way in the end Missy acknowledged she'd been an awful brat and was sorry.  Of course she's 13 she's going to mess up again, but I liked that at least in the moment she did realize she was in the wrong.

• Like 5

Finally saw them both.  Absolutely no blackface and no point in either episode where this would have happened and been edited out.  The spa focus was only on them getting massages - not mud packs.  And when George and Missy are sheltering in the ditch, while there is mud none of it is on their faces.  Honestly, do better stupid Internet rumour mongers!!

Did anyone else notice the line Sheldon said on the airplane "so I'm visiting a professor".  Is this their dopey way of tying in the time Sheldon was a "visiting professor" and his Mother had to go back because a tornado damaged the house?  Because DUMB.  Mary is unlikely to leave Sheldon in Germany 5 minutes after arriving and, I cannot stress this enough. Sheldon is not a liar.  If he said he was a visiting professor he was a visiting professor.  He had no reason to try to impress Penny.  Aargh, why do I feel like next season is going to be one thing after another throwing BBT Sheldon under the bus?

On 6/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, Bethany said:

Finally saw them both.  Absolutely no blackface and no point in either episode where this would have happened and been edited out.  The spa focus was only on them getting massages - not mud packs.  And when George and Missy are sheltering in the ditch, while there is mud none of it is on their faces.  Honestly, do better stupid Internet rumour mongers!!

Did anyone else notice the line Sheldon said on the airplane "so I'm visiting a professor".  Is this their dopey way of tying in the time Sheldon was a "visiting professor" and his Mother had to go back because a tornado damaged the house?  Because DUMB.  Mary is unlikely to leave Sheldon in Germany 5 minutes after arriving and, I cannot stress this enough. Sheldon is not a liar.  If he said he was a visiting professor he was a visiting professor.  He had no reason to try to impress Penny.  Aargh, why do I feel like next season is going to be one thing after another throwing BBT Sheldon under the bus?

I don't think this trip is meant to be the same one as the visiting professor one.  Sheldon's age is all wrong, to begin with.