Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: The Honorable Dan Fielding, Part II

• Start Topic

Abby is on trial, and she and Dan are fighting for her professional life. District Attorney Jeff Dewitt returns and forces Olivia to choose sides. Abby and Rand find their relationship at a crossroads.

Airdate: May 9, 2023

• Like 1
(edited)

Originally Episode 16.
Kurt Fuller as District Attorney Jeff Dewitt
NIGHT-COURT-Season-1-Episode-16-Photo-Th
Pete Holmes as Rand
Marsha Warfield as Roz
Carol Mansell as Louise
NIGHT-COURT-Season-1-Episode-16-Photo-Th
Marty Garcia as Judge Lyle
Jaime Moyer as Linda
Pam Murphy as Janie 
Haddad Tompkins as Esther
Gabe Fonseca as Audio Engineer

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1

Not where I expected the main storylines this episode to go, for the most part, but I like how they've set things up for next season, and am curious to see how they get Dan back, and how Abby deals with the end of her engagement. I liked the way she and Rand ended things, they did a good job balancing making it amicable while also making it a genuinely sad moment for them. 

I also liked the whole thing with the parade of character witnesses :D. On to season two, then!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wish I had better self-control and waited to read this ep so I wouldn't have spoiled myself (even if the spec had been there for  while.)  But it was still fun to see Roz.

1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

I think this was the best episode, and not just because of Roz.  Also...  Roz! 

I'd agree.  I think the jokes were a little bit tighter/frequent and they had a good pace by bringing back old clients.  I hope this show keeps growing in the second season because I'd like good multi-cams on TV again.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5

I hope we see Roz again.  I hope she is part of the story that takes Dan back to NYC.

It would be nice to see Dan interact with someone who knew him when and not just as the group elder.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

Too bad it had to be split over two weeks.  It is much stronger when viewed in a single session.

This this this!!!!!!!!!!!

I saved the last episode and watched them together. Much better. Glad it was renewed, its not great but it does have potential. Who am I kidding, as long as they have Larroquette I'll keep watching😂

And...Roz! Roz! ROZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (runs around the room screaming and waving hands)😎😂

• Like 5

I wish there had been more interaction between Dan and Roz. Aside from Harry, he was probably closest to her back in the day. She taught him to dance, and helped him with his claustrophobia when they were trapped in an elevator. But hey, we got a Dan/Abby hug for our tender moment, so I’m happy with this season finale. 

• Like 3

I'm just glad Rand and Abby broke up.  I hope it's not a fake out and they end up getting back together.  They weren't a good couple in my opinion.

Melissa Rauch looks no more than 4'11" even wearing high heels.  I never got a sense for just how short she was on BBT because she was rarely shown from that much of a distance.  And Howard was short himself so you never really saw it next to him either.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Too bad it had to be split over two weeks.  It is much stronger when viewed in a single session.

It didn’t have to be, they could have aired both parts next Tuesday the 16th but it would have meant that the last two weeks of the Lopez season would have followed Night Court reruns. 

I watched both of the last two together and I agree that it was really the way to go.  I think the show is coming together.  One thing I am noticing is that Olivia is really becoming more of a character with her own weird quirks.  Gurgs has been funny for a while and plays well with everyone else.

John Laroquette continues to be so brilliant, I was almost taken aback when he made his little speech to the jury about how Abby had taken him out of the place he'd been in, and he put so much into that few minutes.  You don't normally see acting like that on a sitcom.

Neil I don't know.  He had so little to do in the last show that I am wondering if they will write him out, or else give him a new plotline?

I really hope this is the end of the Rand storyline.  I normally don't criticize actors because they almost always seem competent to me but Pete Holmes continued to be so bad I was just cringing.  True he had some really silly lines but a decent actor could have done more with them.

So great to see Roz!  On reddit there was a reference to Melissa's instagram and a post from Marsha Warfield also, they indicated she will be back for the start of Season 2.

Just thinking now, maybe the thing that will bring Dan back is a feeling of "been there, done that".   He's been a judge but doesn't find out he likes it.  Anyway I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Abby and Rand are SO TERRIBLE together that they literally know what each other is going to say.   Yep break them up so she can be with non-entity Neil.   If they had cast someone else for Rand would ya'all still say he and Abby don't work together?   

Nice to see prosecutorial misconduct get called out.   

But literally nothing will beat Roz turning to the bailiff and deadpanning, "Take me back to jail."    Just so Roz.    Then Fielding going "She loves me."   

• Like 5

Just got to watch the finale. Seemed well done overall. 

Glad Rand is history. Everything about him annoyed me. He was the only part of the show I didn’t like. 

Good to see that we get a season 2. I like having some shows like this. Easy to watch, nothing too deep or complicated. Just a simple story, fun characters, and a few funny moments. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Wouldn't Olivia prosecuting the judge she regularly works with be a conflict of interest?

IRL of course. In Night Court world?

IAI.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 5/10/2023 at 12:22 PM, rollacoaster said:

And Dan made sure Roz got her insulin shot when she was having a diabetic episode.  

Roz (on rooftop about to fall): what's that behind your back?

Dan (hiding insulin shot): New Jersey. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Abby and Rand are fine together.  But Abby is choosing New York the city over upstate with Rand.  Rand is choosing upstate over New York the city with Abby.  But I do hope they do not put Neil with Abby.  

I guess Dan took and passed the Bar in Louisiana?  I don't remember -- did he go to law school there or in New York?

ROZ!!!!!!!  

• Like 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I guess Dan took and passed the Bar in Louisiana?  I don't remember -- did he go to law school there or in New York?

Wasn't it shown on the original NIght Court that he was an innocent lawyer in Louisiana until he was seduced by a woman?  He then became the wild man. 

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

I can overlook things like an upstate NY lawyer becoming a judge in NYC (because apparently no one else wants on the bench and a way to move up).   I can accept Dan becoming a judge in a state he hasn't practiced in in 40 years, because again, no else apparently wants the job.

But you know, tell me there are DAY TRIPS from Skaneateles to NYC on the regular and I lose it.

• Like 2

Syracuse to Manhattan can be done in about four and a half hours...so it stretches "day trip" but I can see someone that was from the city making regular return trips. Plus I'm not sure we know Abby's full path to Skaneateles...maybe Harry taught at other schools while she was younger and they did day trips from Westchester or Albany. 

Overall, provided I don't think too hard about all the implications of a sitting judge on felony trial and all the licensing implications involved...a decent episode because JL got to give a good speech and we saw the end of the Rand era. 

• Like 2

I didn’t get the ending. Was Roz in a previous episode? 

Glad Rand and Abby are done; it’s been obvious that was coming and dragging it out was taking forever. 

11 minutes ago, deaja said:

I didn’t get the ending. Was Roz in a previous episode? 

No.  Dan was on the bench in NOLA and Roz just happened to be brought before him because she was involved in a bachelorette party scuffle. 

Spoiler

She is back for the premiere of the second season.

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No.  Dan was on the bench in NOLA and Roz just happened to be brought before him because she was involved in a bachelorette party scuffle. 

Hide contents

She is back for the premiere of the second season.

Was it explained how she knew him and I missed it though? That was what I didn’t get.

(edited)

Marsha Warfield played Roz the women's bailiff in Seasons 4-9 of the original series, following the deaths of Selma Diamond as the first women's bailiff (Seasons 1 & 2) and Florence Halop (Season 3) as women's bailiff #2. She and Dan have a long-established unlikely/begrudging friendship.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Like 1

Thanks. That makes sense. I never saw the original show; I just like Melissa Rauch so tuned in for this reboot.