Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: CJ Jacobson vs. Stefan Richter

Actually, I was thinking I would enjoy watching Stefan kick CJ's ass. This show has been trying to make CJ happen for a long time now, and he may be a wonderful cook, but I don't enjoy watching him.

• Love 1

First thing I noticed is how much CJ has aged. Maybe the lack of success in his Studio City restaurant is part of it, the place hasn't gotten good reviews. Then, there was the blinding light from that huge gold watch he wore. I couldn't look at anything else.

Rabbit tobacco? OMG, that stuff tastes nasty. Like rotten licorice. I cannot imagine it being transformed into a bourbon-like flavor.

Stefan moving back to Finland to take care of his mom is sad and sweet at the same time. I tried to go to his restaurant in Santa Monica months ago but it was closed, so I have no idea what he's doing with his businesses here in the states. I'm sorry he didn't win anything for the Parkinson's charity, which is what his mother suffers from.

I guess we should count our blessings that Puck wasn't a judge tonight, what with all the phucken and butt/ass jokes.

• Love 3

I hope CJ takes some of his winnings and buys some self-awareness. He's obnoxious and, as usual, completely convinced he's a terrific guy. I remember that from his first appearances on Top Chef. It takes a lot for me to actively root against a fellow cancer survivor, but he managed it a few episodes in all those years ago. He's worse now. Blech.  

• Love 2

Ahhh, No dog in this fight for me.

I don't think I'd ever, purposely, go to a restaurant and purchase any of these type of 'found food' meals. Especially for the exorbitant prices they'd come with.

I do want to eat at the Volt brothers restaurant in Orange County, CA (I think it is Bryans')....

Edited by LexiconDevilOne
  • Love 1

This was my least favorite duel so far.  And not just because CJ won.  I don't love him, but I certainly don't hate him either.  The food from both sounded good, but I don't know.  Stephan also seemed down, hope his mother is OK.  I'm sure that was on his mind, I mean he's moving back to Finland.  That's not a small decision. 

• Love 2

We watched it on the DVR after it was over so we could skip commercials.

I fell asleep...twice.

This show is so damn boring. I can't wait for Top Chef to start.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3

Stefan may be an ass on the surface but I love him anyway.  I think that he's really a nice person underneath.  I think if you scratched CJ hard enough and deep enough, underneath you'd find John Tesar which would not be a good thing.

There was absolutely no point to having them go shopping for meat other than to advertise Lexus.  That was ridiculous.

• Love 6

My initial thought was "Can they both lose?" But by the end I would have preferred Stefan over CJ. I agree, mlp, that Stefan actually seems like a decent person who enjoys riling people up by acting like an asshat. CJ is just the worst, on the surface and for real. And his food just looked dull and over-worked. Stefan's food might not be ground-breaking, but it looks impeccably made. My only consolation is that CJ will quickly get his ass handed to him by the other chefs in the finale.

• Love 6

Oh great, more CJ   That's not ideal.  So Stefan was remarkably restrained and it suited him.  CJ is just -- I am having trouble finding the words -- it's not that I think he's genuinely a bad human being, because I know that is not the case.  It's that there's always something a tiny bit icky about him.  Sorry to reach for such schoolyard phrasing.  I might be suffering from some post Wolfgang Puck dread, but every time CJ spoke to Shailene Woodley I was terrified we were going to be treated to some really inappropriately pervy talking head from CJ about her.  It kind of goes to the spirit of what I'm talking about with CJ, he absolutely didn't start perving about the extremely young actor, but it really seemed like he might at any second.  Shailene Woodley  is a lovely young woman, but she's 21 years old and that makes her far too young for the (going for the kinder phrasing here) well seasoned CJ.  Really all I'm saying is that CJ lost the benefit of the doubt with me and I'm not even sure how he accomplished that, I just know that he did quite a while back.  

Anyway, he was fine and he actually didn't do anything particularly horrifying, I just was on edge all evening that he was going to.  Apparently his food was well-received, but he's on to the finals with people like Blais -- who whatever I think of him, the man.can.cook -- and Shirley, who could also best CJ in almost any contest except one that was height related.  

All that said, there's something sort of down-trodden about CJ and glum to boot, so I think I'll just leave off about him. 

So glad Puck wasn't there and I'm just not into the foraging concept, thank you anyway. If you set me loose to live off the land, that land really needs to include a well-stocked grocery store.  I am not made of pioneer stock and here's a life tip: If I ever invite you over for a meal of mushrooms and berries that I foraged up myself, save time and trips to the ER:  decline with (primarily gleeful) speed.   

We've all seen food trends come and go.  There was the hideous "We're poaching everything in vanilla butter, like that's normal to do with savory foods!"   from years ago.  Locally sourced and sustainable, Farm-to-Table, Food Fusion, Asian Influenced Everything, and See-and-Say or what have you, but man alive, found meals and foraging sounds like a joke Bon Appetit decided to play on the gullible souls and triage nurse of emergency rooms everywhere, because not to put too fine a point on it; someone is likely to get dramatically ill, not excluding death, from doing things like wandering the forests in search of food stuffs to feed their guests.   Day hikers have a veritable gift for hiking into search-and-rescue drama as it is, won't it be fun for the rescuers when the woods are littered with fungi poisoned foodies?  

• Love 7

"Rewilding?" Really? Get over it, you're picking berries in a park.

"Butt juice?" Oh, hardy har! That's as hi-larious as Nina Garcia saying vagina. GreAt to be back in fifth grade.

I can't figure out why this show is so dang boring, but my god it is hard to pay attention.

• Love 5

I must not have paid enough attention in the past because I always sort of liked CJ and found the dislike for him strange... but watching last night and actually paying attention, I totally get it now.

Stefan likes to be snarky and he had a 'superior' attitude in his season, but he was still relatively likeable. Last night Stefan was right on point when he said he wasn't going to say anything in return to CJ dissing him/ his food because it just makes you look like a douche.

Because of that, I was disappointed that Stefan lost. And also the whole foraging thing seemed odd, and also sort of unfair when this is like CJ's niche and not so much for Stefan- though Stefan did seem to know a lot, so that's good. But I didn't ever get the impression that it was something Stefan was really into. So it makes the challenge seem skewed. Like if it had been Richard and one of the more 'down home' type cooks in a battle that was all molecular gastronomy blah blah whatever they call it now.

But frankly, if you served me food on a bed of leaves/grass/crap from the forest floor and some rocks... can't say I'd be too interested in eating it.

• Love 5

Here's a review of CJ's restaurant Girasol.  "Girasol" means sunflower in Spanish.  Meh.

Cj's food looked pretentious and overly fussy, while Stefan's looked delicious, except for the tough goat which probably did him in.  I didn't watch to the end because I could see the show was heading for a CJ win.  I also wouldn't want to eat food lying on a bed of rocks and weeds and crap..

http://www.laweekly.com/2013-09-05/eat-drink/girasol-review-cj-jacobson-s-new-studio-city-restaurant-doesn-t-always-succeed/

• Love 4

Why do they keep inviting CJ to these things? I just cannot stand him. CANNOT. So far this episode was the most disappointing to me, simply because he won.  Stefan's goat probably is what did him in. Grrr.

• Love 1

At least I didn't fall asleep this ep, unlike the Antonia/Mike ep. 

Neither guy is appealing, though they do make some pretty plates.  The challenges seem so inconsistent.  Like it's made for one person, where the other person is at the disadvantage. 

I feel bad for Stefan not having won any money for his charity choice.

There's a chef called René Redzepi in Copenhagen who runs a restaurant called Noma which has become sort of a mecca for foraged food. It's insanely fashionable with chefs - he got a _lot_ of play in Anthony Bourdain's Mind of a Chef on PBS - so this is probably CJ putting himself in front of a trend.

Me, I think the attitude in Denmark towards pollution, chemical dumping and decades of massive overuse of leaded gas makes their foraging situation maybe a little different than ours. I wouldn't touch foraged food unless I was very, very sure I knew the place it was foraged from.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

. And I agree that CJ's plating with the rocks just looked....odd.

Yes, way to hit me over the head with how fucking WILD it all is by presenting me with a dish of rocks on top of stems and sticks.  I much preferred Stefan's approach for exactly that reason - he treated the foraged ingredients as - INGREDIENTS.  Very European of him.  

The only foraging I do is from my own garden

I have mixed feelings about foraging as a trend.  It's good for people to recognize that wild plants have some value other than pretty scenery, and maybe to be encouraged to value biodiversity as a result.  On the other if everyone starts foraging in parks and wildlands for their food - well, that's not really sustainable for long.  Just try finding wild echinacea sometime, for example - it's severely overharvested (in New York state, anyway).  I do want the wildlands to be valued and preserved but I think it might be better for people in Los Angeles to start planting manzanita and black sage and chickweed in their backyards for culinary use.

ETA: One of the things I do miss about Los Angeles (where I grew up) is the smell of black sage, especially after the rain.  I agreed with the female foraging maven - it's my favorite. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Just try finding wild echinacea sometime, for example - it's severely overharvested (in New York state, anyway).  I do want the wildlands to be valued and preserved but I think it might be better for people in Los Angeles to start planting manzanita and black sage and chickweed in their backyards for culinary use.

I have a friend who edits fantasy books and she encourages her writers to make purple loosestrife an herb of great magical power so people will strip it from the wetlands it's taking over.

The irony is that kudzu actually has a ton of protein and it's being allowed to destroy the environment it's in when it was actually brought here as animal feed. 

• Love 1

I have wild mushrooms growing all over my property. Some of them look like the coveted Chanterelles. They aren't, they are something entirely different and not healthy to eat. If they were, the squirrels and deer would have wiped them out. It's why I'd die if I had to go out and forage for food like they did.

• Love 3

There's a chef called René Redzepi in Copenhagen who runs a restaurant called Noma which has become sort of a mecca for foraged food. It's insanely fashionable with chefs - he got a _lot_ of play in Anthony Bourdain's Mind of a Chef on PBS - so this is probably CJ putting himself in front of a trend.

It's been ranked #1 restaurant in the world for a few years.  CJ staged there.

So, the whole thing was set up for CJ to win.  Surprise Surprise.

I've always liked Stefan - good for him going home to take care of his mother.

• Love 6

I think that what most bothers me about CJ is that he seems to place himself as morally superior to his opponents.  Stefen didn't really say anything negative about CJ, but CJ sure ripped into Stefen multiple times.  In his talking heads, CJ referenced Stephen in very negative and rude terms (at least in my view).  Stefan just seemed to chuckle at CJ which probably just irked CJ even more.  I really wish that Stefan had won each and every round.  I thought Stefen's food looked much more appealing.

So, why does Top Chef keep trying to make CJ 'happen'?

• Love 9
every time CJ spoke to Shailene Woodley I was terrified we were going to be treated to some really inappropriately pervy talking head from CJ about her.  It kind of goes to the spirit of what I'm talking about with CJ, he absolutely didn't start perving about the extremely young actor, but it really seemed like he might at any second.

Yes, THIS. He didn't do anything objectively gross, but he really was kind of creepy about her. He was, like, drinking her in in a way I found just on the edge of serial killer.

I think that what most bothers me about CJ is that he seems to place himself as morally superior to his opponents.

I think that's part of it, but the part that makes it hypocritical is that he claims to be such a great guy while straight-up acting like a dick. The best example is when he was ripping on Stefan's food during one of the mini-challenges and then he turns and is all "Oh, you're so mad! Look at you! I'm sorry, I mean, did that sound mean?" and Stefan said, "You've done this four times on national television, so stop pretending like you don't know how that's going to play." Word, Stefan. It just seems so FAKE. I don't know. It's hard to put into words, but CJ really rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 6

I am SO irritated about first losing Marcel, now losing Stefan.  My 2 absolute favorites from TC.

My little Stefan dumpling will always have a big place in my heart.  I'm sad that he's leaving the States (and probably my TV), but glad he's going to take care of his mama.   Stefan acts to see how people will react.  He wants to get in their heads a bit, in the competition.  It doesn't come from a place of anger or malice. Then they all laugh together & move on.  At least the people that have a shred of humor in their souls. 

CJ just exudes failure, despite any commercial success he may have had.  I don't believe his food tastes good.  I bet it tastes like bitterness and regret.

• Love 5

My impression is that a lot of the trash talking in this show is coached by the producers. I think it's phony and childish and a waste of airtime, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to assess any cheftestant's character because of it.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

CJ was on TC 3, TC 10, Knife Fight and various other TV cooking competitions.  From MY perspective of watching him over the course of the last 7 years, he is a very unpleasant person and I do not enjoy seeing him for any reason.  It has not been just a single instance of "bad editing" or the producers "inciting drama".  It's his singularly obnoxious personality. 

His original TC season was in 2007.  The editing monkeys did less manipulating back then, the way we know they do now. He simply gave them plenty of material to present cold and unaltered to the viewing public.  These are all the things I base my opinion on.  YMMV.

• Love 5
think that's part of it, but the part that makes it hypocritical is that he claims to be such a great guy while straight-up acting like a dick. The best example is when he was ripping on Stefan's food during one of the mini-challenges and then he turns and is all "Oh, you're so mad! Look at you! I'm sorry, I mean, did that sound mean?" and Stefan said, "You've done this four times on national television, so stop pretending like you don't know how that's going to play." Word, Stefan. It just seems so FAKE. I don't know. It's hard to put into words, but CJ really rubs me the wrong way.

I absolute agree, especially the part about rubs the wrong way-he is a little obnoxious and a little jerky, and a little condescending and it adds up to a lot of someone I don't want to watch.

I wonder if he would be a favorite of the producers if he was normal height and did not stand out. I think the Dancing Elves like people with unique traits since they are easy to play up.  They do try and get the award winners back like Stephanie Izard and the Voltaggios, but otherwise they go for bigger personalities (Stefan, Josie or Mike Isabella) unusual appearances (lots of tats, unusual hair (color or style), height, attractive etc.....)

Stefan has an unusual personality, but generally the other cheftestants seem to like him. He is blunt, straightforward and confident, but somehow people seem to view those traits in a positive way-must also be charming....and it is clear that he has great skills and talents since his food always seems great. In all of his appearances, he may lose, but he always turns out good food and rarely seems to beat himself.

• Love 3

This episode was the worst that I've seen so far.  It's a relief that Wolfgang was not there.  The level of toxic is depressing me.  Yuccckkkk.  Too bad CJ won, which means I will have to see him again in the final.

This was actually the most interesting episode for me. I find the "trash talk" cheesy when I know it's between two friendly opponents, but CJ and Stefan appeared to REALLY dislike one another. I had no idea that CJ was so disliked and that he also had history with Stefan. If I'm going to watch a show that seemingly forces its opponents to engage in this banter then I was happy that it was at least authentic this time.

Also, I thought the dishes were all pretty complicated and involved. I don't have an opinion either way on foraging but it made for some interesting concoctions in the kitchen. I was honestly really interested in seeing how they would each complete the challenges (especially the smoked challenge). Embarrassingly, I also found the butt challenge to be mildly amusing.

• Love 2

This was my least favorite duel so far.  And not just because CJ won.  I don't love him, but I certainly don't hate him either.  The food from both sounded good, but I don't know.  Stephan also seemed down, hope his mother is OK.  I'm sure that was on his mind, I mean he's moving back to Finland.  That's not a small decision. 

This was the first time I was actually engaged in an episode. (So far the most interesting part of any Duel has been when Bravo shows me a hint of the upcoming New England season.)

What I find fascinating is that Stephan can be such a jerk, and yet he is fifty times more likeable than CJ.

Honestly, I couldn't get enough of CJ going on and on about his love of foraging, and his smashing a bunch of stuff he found on the ground into a fish, and serving that fish on top of a rock on top of a bunch of stuff he found on the ground, and his true love for the actress who also loves eating stuff she picked up off of the ground.

For the first time in this series, I had genuine emotions going through me as I watched an episode.  I'm not counting mild annoyance (Richard, Mike) or vague fondness (Antonia, Brooke) as emotions.

And I'm glad I did, because I might have bailed out on the show before finding out that next week will be a pair of anti-CJs for me, and I am looking forward to that.

• Love 1