Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Like almost everything else, desk chairs are designed with the average man in mind--5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing under 200 pounds per a quick Google search.  Things work pretty well for you if you fall in to the 5'7"-5'11" range.  Outside of that range is another story.  And it is difficult to find chairs rated over 200 or even 250 pounds.  I could go on a whole different rant about that.

I'm 5'3" & learned to only buy chairs at places where I can sit on them. Never noticed my feet dangling from a chair until around 2002 when we were out trying to find new furniture. I was stunned! My dining room chairs, that I bought in 1984 from Belk's (& made in western NC), fit me (& guests) perfectly. So, IMO, chair measurements have changed since then, probably catering to taller folks (e.g., men over 6'). I felt like Edith Ann sitting on chairs in furniture stores & that's the truth! 😛

• Like 4
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you for sharing!

I wanted to drive the 2 miles to see it last night over Lake Ontario, but the same local news that tells us to go see it tells us Rochester NY area is not safe after dark. 
I also heard on the local news that if you can't see them with your naked eye to look through your phone camera.

But this morning I managed to clean the outside of the one window with a view during the month that the blossoms block the parking lot. I used a sturdy step stool and discovered that my broom handle screws onto my squeegee.
I don't know if handled cleaning tools all universal, or if it's just that mine were the same vintage:

window-blossoms.thumb.jpg.6676ecde9ddcae60c35f58c8d637696a.jpg

Beautiful trees!  
My experience is that many handles are interchangeable.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
30 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm 5'3" & learned to only buy chairs at places where I can sit on them. Never noticed my feet dangling from a chair until around 2002 when we were out trying to find new furniture. I was stunned! My dining room chairs, that I bought in 1984 from Belk's (& made in western NC), fit me (& guests) perfectly. So, IMO, chair measurements have changed since then, probably catering to taller folks (e.g., men over 6'). I felt like Edith Ann sitting on chairs in furniture stores & that's the truth! 😛

I seem to be able to sit in normal chairs fine at 5'2" or so.  I'm told that I'm slightly on the leggier side, but I'm still not leggy like a supermodel!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I seem to be able to sit in normal chairs fine at 5'2" or so.  I'm told that I'm slightly on the leggier side, but I'm still not leggy like a supermodel!  

Similarly, I have a very short torso and more normal length legs, but I have pain sitting anywhere nowadays. 
When I used to attend the monthly faculty meetings for a small college established in 1857 by Presbyterian men with chairs from that time, I and most of the women and some of the men used to bring something to put under our feet. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, IMO, chair measurements have changed since then, probably catering to taller folks

Shower head placement, too, apparently -- my house was built in 1938 and the shower head pipe came out of the wall at eye level, and then of course the head itself faced downward, so it was unusable by my 5'10" self; I'm not going to do squats in order to wash my hair.  I figured I'd get an elbow joint, a length of pipe, and another elbow joint to get the head up higher (because I also wasn't going to knock into the tile to move the interior plumbing up), but it turns out they make an S-shaped riser (which is a lot more attractive than my MacGyvered set of pipes would have been!).  So there must be more people out there with shower heads pointed at their chests.

image.png.6e6e4a4d03ed2bbb304eb0b07e68ce50.png

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Shower head placement, too, apparently -- my house was built in 1938 and the shower head pipe came out of the wall at eye level, and then of course the head itself faced downward, so it was unusable by my 5'10" self; I'm not going to do squats in order to wash my hair.  I figured I'd get an elbow joint, a length of pipe, and another elbow joint to get the head up higher (because I also wasn't going to knock into the tile to move the interior plumbing up), but it turns out they make an S-shaped riser (which is a lot more attractive than my MacGyvered set of pipes would have been!).  So there must be more people out there with shower heads pointed at their chests.

Showerhead placement has more to do with changing trends and available building materials than catering to the height of the user.  In 1938, people were not washing their hair multiple times a week.  There wasn't a need to pay extra to have the showerhead at 6 feet or more.  Most women would also object to one placed higher lest their hair get ruined by the water.  Their hairstyles required rollers and time to dry.  Now we have more relaxed styles, multiple options for drying and styling our hair at home in less than 30 minutes, and cheaper building materials.  We can have the showerhead on the ceiling if we so choose.  We can also have a handheld option for those days we don't want to get our hair wet.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I discovered some extra channels tonight (the ones beyond the premium ones) and am now enjoying Key & Peele re-runs 😄

I loved that show! The East/West college bowl games were my favorite skits. Or Peele as Obama and Key as Luther, Obama's anger translator.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I loved that show! The East/West college bowl games were my favorite skits. Or Peele as Obama and Key as Luther, Obama's anger translator.

They just showed that. I couldn't stop laughing as the east and west players introduced themselves (& I've seen it several times).  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

The Gay Wedding Advice, I think, has become my favorite K&P sketch.  And it is largely because of the other actors in the skit, K&P let them carry it.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

The Gay Wedding Advice, I think, has become my favorite K&P sketch.  And it is largely because of the other actors in the skit, K&P let them carry it.

My favorite is the final address with Luther the Anger Translator, but that one is a close second.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
(edited)

I went down a Key and Peele rabbit hole on YouTube thanks to @annzeepark914. Omg, I miss that show. 

I had completely forgotten they did a Michelle Obama anger translator and a Hilary Clinton anger translator. And the very last player of the first East West Bowl. "Dan Smith, BYU." 🤣

Edited by emma675
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Imgur was acting up, but these are some photos of the house I mentioned:

https://imgur.com/a/5fgarMv

https://imgur.com/a/vUqS8yj

I love the windows, and the diamond-shapes especially.  In the second link, the window seat. The stairs. I love it. 

and now I have to get offline for the day.  Happy Mother’s Day to the mums here. My mum’s gone, and I’m alone, because my dad is working.  I’m going to shower, and see if my dad can pick me up.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 2

Oh, I’m dense.  I wondered why a family friend texted me around 4am. She just said, “love ya Ang.” Aw. ❤️ I responded, but I didn’t link it to Mother’s Day.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 6
On 5/11/2024 at 6:33 AM, Blergh said:

WOW! That's utterly fantastic and [as usual from you} AMAZING photos!

I didn't know that auroras could be found that far south (and I've never seen them in my northernmost travels to Scotland or Canada. . . or even out plane window via transatlantic flights arching via Greenland,etc).

I looked it up and it said that they've been seen as far south as Alabama (though I live north of there and no luck). ..and I saw one news service that claims that they might be seen as far south as. ..Florida this weekend.

Of course, I live in a light-polluted city but I'm wondering if it might be worth driving far out of the city late at night  in search of them. I usually like to already be home by nightfall. However. .

Regardless of my own hemming and hawwing .  .NOTHING can take away from you having had having had that experience- to say  nothing of your wonderful gift of being able to create excellent photos that you've deigned to share with us!

THANK YOU!!!

On 5/11/2024 at 8:51 AM, shapeshifter said:

Thank you for sharing!

I wanted to drive the 2 miles to see it last night over Lake Ontario, but the same local news that tells us to go see it tells us Rochester NY area is not safe after dark. 
I also heard on the local news that if you can't see them with your naked eye to look through your phone camera.

Thank you so much! It was really amazing to see. We've tried - without success - to shoot the NL when they've said they would be visible further south than usual, and we're talking about a trip early next year to someplace where they are more visible.

With the naked eye, you couldn't really see much where we were, a little bit of a pink glow in the sky. With a long exposure on the camera (or smart phone) you can pull in enough light to be able to see them.

@roseha, over on the Pet Peeves thread, you said, 'I didn't even know about the Northern Lights tonight!  First I miss the eclipse and now this...'

That reminds me, I don't think I shared any of my eclipse photos here. We ended up going to Indianapolis, found a hotel just northeast of the city. We viewed the eclipse from the hotel parking lot with a couple dozen other people. We got in Sunday afternoon, and could walk to restaurants for meals, so we didn't have to move the car once we were there. Sure was better than fighting traffic the day of the eclipse.  Here's a composite of the eclipse progression.

JM_2024_04_08_Solar_Eclipse_025-XL.jpg

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

A49D9669-FC9A-462E-8AC0-26562EF21256.jpeg

Very true , sadly my mom is gone and today is a terrible day… all I can do is remember her and try not to cry.

I am sorry Olivia. Big hug to you friend. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 3

Do any of you do your own manicures? I go to the salon for dip. Love the look, but it's a tedious, boring process having to go every three weeks.

When I attempted to do my nails when I was younger, I wasn't very good, especially trying to paint the nails of my right hand. 

I'm thinking I might ditch dip and just start filing my own nails, taking care of my cuticles and using a light/sheer polish on my own natural long nails. Does that sound like a good way to keep my hands pretty and nail salon-free? 

• Like 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Do any of you do your own manicures?

Yes.  I only wear clear polish on my fingernails, but I do colored polish on my toenails, so I have a nice collection of colors -- I think I have at least one (and in many cases, several) shade of everything but pink and white.  When I was a teenager, I went through a phase where I spent considerable time on my nails, doing a base color of polish and then painting on stripes, dots, etc.  I developed a very steady hand doing that, including with my left, but I'd probably make a huge mess now.  Although, I am still very good at painting walls and trim without needing to tape anything off.

just start filing my own nails, taking care of my cuticles and using a light/sheer polish on my own natural long nails. Does that sound like a good way to keep my hands pretty and nail salon-free? 

That's what I do, and mine look nice.  I'll have a mani-pedi done as part of a spa day from time to time, but it looks just as good when I do it, so it's not something I want to regularly pay for since it's easy for me to do.

My cat pulled her usual "Sorry, no thumbs, you'll have to make your own Bloody Mary" so no Mother's Day present for me, and my mom and I aren't going anywhere this year because her back is killing her, so I'm just relaxing until I go to my parents' house tonight to make dinner (I thought for sure she was going to want shrimp scampi, but she's channeling my dad's taste buds and requested ribeye steak, roasted fingerling potatoes, and spinach gratin; the type of salad was left up to me, and I decided on arugula with lemon vinaigrette).

I hope everyone celebrating Mother's Day today, whether as a mom, with their mom, or both, has a good time, I hope everyone who doesn't give a shit about a Hallmark holiday has a nice Sunday, and, most of all, I hope everyone for whom this is a sad day makes it through as best they can.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Do any of you do your own manicures? I go to the salon for dip. Love the look, but it's a tedious, boring process having to go every three weeks.

When I attempted to do my nails when I was younger, I wasn't very good, especially trying to paint the nails of my right hand. 

I'm thinking I might ditch dip and just start filing my own nails, taking care of my cuticles and using a light/sheer polish on my own natural long nails. Does that sound like a good way to keep my hands pretty and nail salon-free? 

Except for one manicure 45 years ago I have done my own finger nails.

For me it was simply practice that allowed me to use my left hand to do the nails on my right hand. I also do not keep my nail polish for years. As soon as it gets gloopy or takes forever to dry I get rid of it. I get some polish from dollar stores or the cheaper brands in stores. I use a top coat but have never used a base coat. Because I have dry skin I always use rubber gloves in water and my manicures last about 10 days or so. 
I am useless at pedicures and I do get them done professionally.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I get pedicures (healthy for feet & the polish is so pretty) but do my own fingernails. I use those *very pale* pinks, like the women in the royal family wear (QEII preferred Ballet Slippers) 😸. I usually use one coat & keep my nails a teence beyond short so they have a shape. 

• Like 5

Happy Mothers' Day to all you moms and grandmoms! My mom died four years ago today (on Mothers' Day) but I'm not sad - she was 94, went out pain free and entirely by her own choice (refused further treatment and signed herself up for hospice) and she was a GREAT mom! I'm her only child (yes, I am a bit of an accident as she wasn't really the maternal type and never really planned on having kids) and was the beneficiary of having a mom who was feisty, driven, classy and super self disciplined. She taught me never to back down when you are in the right, to rely on yourself (mostly), and that hard work pays off. Keep laughing, keep singing, keep dancing...life is beautiful. Thanks Mom!!

• Like 9
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 8

Do any of you do your own manicures?

As a coincidence, I just painted my nails (bright pink) 10 minutes before logging here 😄. They are pretty short, I tend to pick on them when I'm nervous.

• Like 3

My manicures always get messed up so I rarely get them.  When I DO, I get "natural" manicures, meaning no polish.  I DO get pedicures in the summer.  I'll probably wait until June this year - I'm scheduled for surgery at the end of the month and they usually want naked nails (to make sure the oxygen is okay).

• Hugs 6

@Moose135 Thanks so much for the composite of the eclipse photos, they are fabulous!

I am still hoping that maybe in a couple of years I can go to Iceland and see it there. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

My cat pulled her usual "Sorry, no thumbs, you'll have to make your own Bloody Mary" so no Mother's Day present for me

When I asked my cat if she got me a M Day gift - she licked my nose. I guess a thoughtful, no fuss, low cost but priceless gift.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I got through my first MD without Mom. I saw all my kids over the past week, for my b'day, so it was phone calls and texts yesterday. I stayed mostly off of FB, as the tributes are understandably pretty sappy and I didn't want to spend the day in tears. Mom passed 5 months ago at 93. She went out her way as her mind was clear, but her body was failing her. All she wanted was to stay in her house until the end and she got that. I miss her every day, but I'm happy for her that she had a good life, filled with love. Anyway, my husband got me a beautiful hummingbird feeder and I set it up out front, so we should have them flying around, front and back. It's also kind of a tribute to my neighbor, who passed away a couple of weeks ago. We share a front porch and she always had a feeder out front. I assume her home will go on the market soon, so fingers crossed for more good neighbors! The weather was gorgeous yesterday, but rain is expected today. My cat has been hanging out full time on the screen porch!

• Hugs 19
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Mom passed 5 months ago at 93. She went out her way as her mind was clear, but her body was failing her. All she wanted was to stay in her house until the end and she got that.

I'm glad you and your family were able to make that happen. 
My Mom lit a candle for her Mom every year, and now I do too. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the moms, stepmoms, and mother figures. May you feel loved and appreciated.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hope everyone celebrating Mother's Day today, whether as a mom, with their mom, or both, has a good time, I hope everyone who doesn't give a shit about a Hallmark holiday has a nice Sunday, and, most of all, I hope everyone for whom this is a sad day makes it through as best they can.

Thanks to both of you.  Although I'm not a mother myself, my husband always celebrates Mother's Day with me because he says every woman is a mother to someone, whether a friend, a relative, a spouse, a "fur baby" or otherwise.  I lost my mom 23 years ago but as an only child she and I were very close and I still miss her very much.

I hope everyone had a nice day, however you spent it.  It was a nice day here.  I missed the Northern Lights two nights in a row, though.  I hear they're still going to be around tonight so I'm going to make an effort to see them.

One funny thing - We went to a few stores and I couldn't get over how many kids were running around in the aisles everywhere.  Then I realized why - they were all with their dads, not their moms, LOL.  I felt for those dads as I saw them struggle to keep their kids in tow!

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

One funny thing - We went to a few stores and I couldn't get over how many kids were running around in the aisles everywhere.  Then I realized why - they were all with their dads, not their moms, LOL.  I felt for those dads as I saw them struggle to keep their kids in tow!

Interesting. I hope the Moms were napping and not making dinner. 

My son-in-law took the toddler to go see his toddler cousin and uncle's big truck while I took care of the Little LambChop so their Mom could shower and get groceries. I gave Little LambChop giggling exercises by making silly sounds and moves.
I also carried him around and sang to him a lot.
Today I'm recovering.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Very true , sadly my mom is gone and today is a terrible day… all I can do is remember her and try not to cry.

I couldn’t stop thinking that it’s been ten years since I had a mother. Then I saw photos of my aunt surrounded by my cousins AND my late sibling’s partner. While I am happy that they’re considered part of my aunt’s family it makes me cry that I’m ignored. My husband hasn’t been well and I feel like I’m totally alone in the world except for him, with the rest of my family gone I just can’t figure out why I’m still here. Anyway it was a bad day and I’m glad it’s behind me for another year.

• Hugs 18
(edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 11:49 AM, Yeah No said:

Corey Wolf, David Barr, Neil Tyson.jpgThree guys I had crushes on in HS.  Yes, the one on the right is Neil Tyson.  Taken in my Physics class, LOL.…

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was just on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune playing for an educational charity in Harlem. 
He mentioned that he was the wrestling champion when you guys were in high school. 😉
At one point Neil and Vanna White were taking a selfie in the background; they seemed equally starstruck. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was just on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune playing for an educational charity in Harlem. 
He mentioned that he was the wrestling champion when you guys were in high school. 😉
At one point Neil and Vanna White were taking a selfie in the background; they seemed equally starstruck. 😉

Hah, yeah, I remember him as the captain of the wrestling team.  I could make jokes about him being the only member in a school full of little unathletic nerds but I won't. 😉

I have a group photo taken at our 5 year reunion in 1981 where he's standing next to me looking away and I'm posing like a groupie with a big "Amy Farrah Fowler" grin on my face, LOL.  And then another one at our 35th reunion in 2011 that's similar except in that one he's posing with a T shirt in his hands.  I have no clue except I know we were all tipsy at the time.

Thanks for that!  I'm actually in a bad mood tonight because my cable is not working right and I'm currently running some kind of diagnostic through my account online.  It's been giving us trouble every now and then for a few minutes here and there for a while now but comes back so we haven't called yet (and we dread doing that) but it looks like we're going to have to.  Fortunately Mr. Yeah No is off tomorrow so he'll have plenty of time to do it.  After all these years of being the one to suffer all the aggravation I'm finally sharing it with him!  😉

There is no outage in my area so it has to be something going on here.  We haven't had any issues in a long time.  I'm afraid we might need a new cable box. Oh joy.

• Like 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Hah, yeah, I remember him as the captain of the wrestling team.  I could make jokes about him being the only member in a school full of little unathletic nerds but I won't. 😉

Ooo. But if I come across an appropriate social media site to do so, I might anonymously teasingly post something about "a former classmate of yours points out that you were both captain and the only member of the wrestling team in a school full of little unathletic nerds.’” Although maybe he acknowledges that in one of his books.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • LOL 4

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was on the wrestling team?  School champion or district?  If he was moderately athletic, it probably isn't that hard to be a school champion? #sorrynotsorry

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

Wheel Of Fortune is just the old game of Hangman -- or an expanded version of Wordle.  Not that I'm good at any of those (except Wordle, sometimes).

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@shapeshifter Do you regularly watch Wheel of Fortune in addition to Jeopardy?, since it's on right after.   I don't usually watch 'cause I absolutely suck at it. 

I only watch the last 5 minutes of Wheel because here it comes on before Jeopardy!
But I do make it through most of the Celebrity Wheel show. Last night I had to turn it off at the last commercial break — Celeb. Wheel is an hour, which is way too long.

16 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

or an expanded version of Wordle.  Not that I'm good at any of those (except Wordle, sometimes).

My name is shapeshifter, and I am a Wordle addict.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

What is Wordle? The only wordle I know is when you make a design (via computer) using words that mean something to you (or someone you make it for). I loved creating them for (childhood) friends & cousins.

• Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, fairffaxx said:

Wheel Of Fortune is just the old game of Hangman -- or an expanded version of Wordle.  Not that I'm good at any of those (except Wordle, sometimes).

I'm a whiz at the NYT crossword puzzle so I thought I could play Scrabble, no problem. LOl, turns out I absolutely suck at Scrabble.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 7
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm a whiz at the NYT crossword puzzle so I thought I could play Scrabble, no problem. LOl, turns out I absolutely suck at Scrabble.

Same here.  I don't suck at Scrabble, but I don't do well at the strategy.  It's a completely different animal from the crossword. 

• Like 6
(edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 4:07 PM, Bastet said:

Just thought of something for you, Bastet.  Do you like the old Lubitsch movie Cluny Brown?  They show it on TCM from time to time.  It's about a gal (Jennifer Jones) who loves plumbing--and Charles Boyer.

Hey, here's a YouTube link to the whole movie.   First plumbing scene at 6 minutes.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My name is shapeshifter, and I am a Wordle addict.

Me too, shapeshifter -- I never thought the game would last this long but they still haven't run out of 5 letter words!   

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Just thought of something for you, Bastet.  Do you like the old Lubitsch movie Cluny Brown?  They show it on TCM from time to time.  It's about a gal (Jennifer Jones) who loves plumbing--and Charles Boyer.

Yes, it's probably my favorite performance of Jones.  Add in the intelligent humor of the script, the supporting cast, the Lubitsch touch, and all the ways plumbing is used as a metaphor for sex, and I'm in.  It's not one I watch often, but I do enjoy it if I come across it.

32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I play Scrabble on my computer most days, and my mom and I play a game at least once during our annual Thanksgiving trip.  The board is ancient, but it has held up, and the wooden tiles look brand new.

• Like 4