Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I often prefer barley over rice. But I love rice WITH cauliflower. But I like cauliflower in general. Rice, it really depends what I eat it with. Or the kind of rice. I have found a brand of Japanese rice that I like a lot. I eat Quinoa more since I found one that is grown right here in Saskatchewan. Most of my vegetables are made in the oven on a sheet. Tossed in a bit of oil and spices/herbs.

I have replaced beef burgers with meat replacement like impossible meat. It feels less heavy. I can't do a whole beef burger anymore. Even one of those, I eat maybe once every two months.

Cauliflower makes an amazing mash potato substitute!  I've also used it as a mac and cheese sauce - my husband and son never even noticed.  And my husband hates cauliflower!  I can't do Impossible or Beyond.  It's too fake-tasting to me and I'm not a fan of its ingredients.  If I want vegan burgers I tend to get house made ones from local businesses.  Cleaner ingredients, even though they're often higher in sodium than I'd like.  

• Like 3

I've had cauliflower crust pizza that was very good as I like a crunchy crust. I love steamed cauliflower and broccoli with nothing on them. We get really good cruciferous vegetables here in SoCal. I've driven by fields of brussels sprouts stalks and they are so good in season, just toss in the oven with some oil and seasoning.

I'm one of the weirdos who loves kale. I have a whole bag of it in the fridge (if I'm less lazy I'll clean it and trim it myself). If you've never had stammpot (Dutch) it is cooked kale stirred into buttery mashed potatoes (our version). It is so good. If you eat meat you can cook sausage with it too.

I eat quite a bit of brown rice. I do like Basmati and sometimes Jasmine. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, nokat said:

I've had cauliflower crust pizza that was very good as I like a crunchy crust. I love steamed cauliflower and broccoli with nothing on them. We get really good cruciferous vegetables here in SoCal. I've driven by fields of brussels sprouts stalks and they are so good in season, just toss in the oven with some oil and seasoning.

I'm one of the weirdos who loves kale. I have a whole bag of it in the fridge (if I'm less lazy I'll clean it and trim it myself). If you've never had stammpot (Dutch) it is cooked kale stirred into buttery mashed potatoes (our version). It is so good. If you eat meat you can cook sausage with it too.

I eat quite a bit of brown rice. I do like Basmati and sometimes Jasmine. 

I don’t think kale-lovers are weirdos.  I have to have kale at least once a week!  My favourite meal is poached or steamed salmon with a quinoa and kale salad.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, nokat said:

She didn't call it stamppot but Casey from Top Chef many, many years ago made a winning dish of creamy mashed potatoes, ramps, and sausage during one episode. I have never forgotten that dish. My favorite comfort food is to have a bowl of mashed potatoes with anything mixed in with them, vegetables, meats, cheese, topped with Carolina Treet. In a bowl eaten with a tablespoon like a toddler, lol.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

She didn't call it stamppot but Casey from Top Chef many, many years ago made a winning dish of creamy mashed potatoes, ramps, and sausage during one episode. I have never forgotten that dish. My favorite comfort food is to have a bowl of mashed potatoes with anything mixed in with them, vegetables, meats, cheese, topped with Carolina Treet. In a bowl eaten with a tablespoon like a toddler, lol.

What is Carolina Treet? I remember Treet (it was a lot like Spam).  My childhood favorite meal was buttered noodles with crispy bacon segments sprinkled over it. My adult version is thin spaghetti, butter, crispy bacon, freshly ground Parmesan, & two squirts of fresh lemon juice.

• Like 1
(edited)

One of my Dad's favourite treats is a holdover from his childhood.  He calls it "Newfie steak" the rest of us would call it bologna.  Cut thick and fried it's a sandwich fit for a king.  I can remember when this was a cheap alternative.  Not anymore!  I went to buy him some this week-end and I swear the real steak would have been cheaper!

Edited by Bethany
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:
11 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

What is Carolina Treet?

Apparently Carolina Treet is a brand of North Carolina style barbecue sauce.  I've never heard of it but NC style BBQ sauce is my husband's favorite, so I might just have to try it.

https://tinyurl.com/2p8emzkr

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Well...I'm "wasting the day away" 🙄 by reading all the comments in The Godfather thread (in Movies). It's interesting. Then, I got to a link: James Caan's Twitter post of a hilarious photo of the Don viewing Sonny's bullet-punctured corpse, and Caan's grinning up at Brando. Among the comments under the photo, someone said something like, "an EZ Pass would've prevented this". I burst out laughing!  Heh--I'm the idiot who went to see this movie with her parents. Had no idea what it was all about. None of us slept well that night after all the violence we saw onscreen. And that may have been the last time I went to the movies with them 😆.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, SweetSable said:

Apparently Carolina Treet is a brand of North Carolina style barbecue sauce.  I've never heard of it but NC style BBQ sauce is my husband's favorite, so I might just have to try it.

https://tinyurl.com/2p8emzkr

It’s an acquired taste of sauce. Very regional and not really a true NC style sauce. It is better suited to use for chicken, ribs, burgers than barbecue although it is used by some when mixing it into their chopped barbecue.  It has a grainy texture, not really any heat but a strong pungent vinegary spice taste. You know immediately if someone has used it in food. A lady has a secret sauce but it is a hickory bbq sauce mixed with Carolina Treet. 

Buy a bottle and experiment with it, knowing that it is strong but it tastes really good once you figure it out.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well...I'm "wasting the day away" 🙄 by reading all the comments in The Godfather thread (in Movies). It's interesting. Then, I got to a link: James Caan's Twitter post of a hilarious photo of the Don viewing Sonny's bullet-punctured corpse, and Caan's grinning up at Brando. Among the comments under the photo, someone said something like, "an EZ Pass would've prevented this". I burst out laughing!  Heh--I'm the idiot who went to see this movie with her parents. Had no idea what it was all about. None of us slept well that night after all the violence we saw onscreen. And that may have been the last time I went to the movies with them 😆.

At least the Godfather was rated R.

1984 was the year that I was repeatedly traumatized by being brought by my parents to PG movies. Gremlins underneath my bed.  I don't recall what drove us out of Greystoke: Legend of Tarzan, just crying in the lobby (I'm assuming there was a gorilla massacre or something like that).  And I still haven't seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom beyond the part where the still beating heart is pulled out of someone's chest.  That movie created the PG-13 rating.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
3 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

And I still haven't seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom beyond the part where the still beating heart is pulled out of someone's chest.  That movie created the PG-13 rating.

That was super intense for a movie that had a broad family appeal.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That was super intense for a movie that had a broad family appeal.

I still hate that movie. Between the grossness, Kate Capshaw's constant screaming through the whole movie and Short Round's annoying presence. I know he grew up to win an Oscar but he was awful in that movies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

And I still haven't seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I hate that movie for the way it portrayed Indians. As much as I love Amrish Puri (wonderful actor, but who always played villains in Bollywood movies, and a few good guys), and Roshan Seth (who played Nehru a couple years before in Gandhi), I can't stop the rage blackout.

• Like 3

I never understood the appeal of the Indiana Jones movies. The racisms, the statutory rape...but then, I never understood the appeal of Harrison Ford either. 

This clip pretty much sums up how I feel about Harrison Ford's acting and his famous characters.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I hate potatoes (and sweet potatoes), so I'd be happy to find mashed cauliflower on my plate.  (I prefer it roasted, though.)

Going back to kale, it's quite popular in restaurants here, although not quite as much as it was five years or so ago.  I cook with it a lot, as I've been eating it most of my life.  I love greens, but not cooked the traditional way, where they braise for a long time -- I like them quick cooked.  I also love kale in soup because it holds up so well.

This should all be in the Food Chit Chat thread, I guess.

2 hours ago, supposebly said:

I never understood the appeal of the Indiana Jones movies.

I've never seen any of them as they never interested me, and nothing I've read has changed my mind.  I'm pretty "meh" on Harrison Ford, too.  I've never thought he was great in anything.  I've never thought he was terrible in anything, either.  He's just kind of there.  (Of the films I've seen him in -- since he's not remotely a draw for me, there's probably a lot I haven't seen.)

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, either.  I've tried three times over the course of my life to watch the original, and I never once made it through.  There's not much sci-fi I like, and that definitely not one of my exceptions.  (I kept trying only because it's SO popular among my generation [and others, of course, but especially those who saw it in the theater as kids/teens].)

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

I used to LOVE this pre-made kale salad I’d get from Walmart. I got it once or twice where the bag just instantly smelled terrible as soon as I opened it. Been leery of kale ever since. It can definitely taste good, but I will never buy the washed and ready to go kale ever again.

• Like 1

I add kale to my son's and my husband's smoothies.  It's the only way I can get them to consume leafy greens without me asking...I'm not on the smoothie bandwagon though.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I add kale to my son's and my husband's smoothies.  It's the only way I can get them to consume leafy greens without me asking...I'm not on the smoothie bandwagon though.

I tried to have smoothies for breakfast for awhile. Tasted delicious and was pretty nutritious, but just not the greatest for my stomach or keeping me full. My body does best with warm, cooked food. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I hate potatoes (and sweet potatoes), so I'd be happy to find mashed cauliflower on my plate.  (I prefer it roasted, though.)

Going back to kale, it's quite popular in restaurants here, although not quite as much as it was five years or so ago.  I cook with it a lot, as I've been eating it most of my life.  I love greens, but not cooked the traditional way, where they braise for a long time -- I like them quick cooked.  I also love kale in soup because it holds up so well.

This should all be in the Food Chit Chat thread, I guess.

I've never seen any of them as they never interested me, and nothing I've read has changed my mind.  I'm pretty "meh" on Harrison Ford, too.  I've never thought he was great in anything.  I've never thought he was terrible in anything, either.  He's just kind of there.  (Of the films I've seen him in -- since he's not remotely a draw for me, there's probably a lot I haven't seen.)

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, either.  I've tried three times over the course of my life to watch the original, and I never once made it through.  There's not much sci-fi I like, and that definitely not one of my exceptions.  (I kept trying only because it's SO popular among my generation [and others, of course, but especially those who saw it in the theater as kids/teens].)

I like kale but I really like Tuscan kale (the dark green one).  I also like chard or collards chopped wilted and quick sauteed with garlic. 

3 hours ago, supposebly said:

I never understood the appeal of the Indiana Jones movies. The racisms, the statutory rape...but then, I never understood the appeal of Harrison Ford either. 

T

Ugh, can you tell me where this occurs?  I can't recall it from anything--maybe I never saw it. 

Well, I don't know whether to give @Basteta like or a laugh for her food remarks.   Unlike you, I love potatoes, so I can't give a like for that.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I tried to have smoothies for breakfast for awhile. Tasted delicious and was pretty nutritious, but just not the greatest for my stomach or keeping me full. My body does best with warm, cooked food. 

My parents would love you.  They don’t get why I like cold foods that aren’t desserts or snacks (or sweet drinks.  They don’t get why I don’t drink warm water).  Dad usually discourages me from eating too much salad. And it’s not because of salmonella. 

• Hugs 4
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ugh, can you tell me where this occurs?  I can't recall it from anything--maybe I never saw it. 

This site discusses it. Apparently, the character Marion was 15 when Indy was with her. Originally, they thought it would be fine if she was even younger.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/3/9089181/indiana-jones-abusive-creep

And I'm completely side-eyeing Harrison Ford for getting it on with a 19year old Carrie Fisher when he was over 30 and married. But that's a different issue.

I mostly have issues with a lot of the characters he's played. To me, he never had the charm so I could ignore it. He always came across as a predatory.

Granted, it's a problem in a lot of films and television but I always found it quite apparent with this characters. Even before I became more aware of these issues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

My parents would love you.  They don’t get why I like cold foods that aren’t desserts or snacks (or sweet drinks.  They don’t get why I don’t drink warm water).  Dad usually discourages me from eating too much salad. And it’s not because of salmonella. 

Oh don’t get me wrong, I love cold food! Salads, sandwiches, smoothies, you name it. It just doesn’t agree with me as well. 

I’m sorry you get so much grief over what you eat. It sounds like you are a healthy person. That’s all that matters. :)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Apparently, the character Marion was 15 when Indy was with her. Originally, they thought it would be fine if she was even younger.

Ugh, yes.  As I said, I've never seen the films, and I didn't read the article you linked to see what specifics are covered there, but a few years ago elsewhere on this site I saw quoted the conversation in which it seemed just hunky dory if she'd been even younger than that; never any sort of "wait, ew, doing the math, this is horrible!" discussion in plotting out the backstory.  Gross, all around.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm not on the smoothie bandwagon though.

I don't like the texture (I've never liked blended drinks), and, fundamentally, I don't want to drink my fruits and vegetables, I want to eat them.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, supposebly said:

This site discusses it. Apparently, the character Marion was 15 when Indy was with her. Originally, they thought it would be fine if she was even younger.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/3/9089181/indiana-jones-abusive-creep

And I'm completely side-eyeing Harrison Ford for getting it on with a 19year old Carrie Fisher when he was over 30 and married. But that's a different issue.

I mostly have issues with a lot of the characters he's played. To me, he never had the charm so I could ignore it. He always came across as a predatory.

Granted, it's a problem in a lot of films and television but I always found it quite apparent with this characters. Even before I became more aware of these issues.

Just read the article.  What is wrong with men?  How do they think it could possibly be okay for a grown man to have a relationship with an eleven/twelve year old?  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
1 minute ago, partofme said:

Just read the article.  What is wrong with men?  How do they think it could possibly be okay for a grown man to have a relationship with an eleven/twelve year old?  

I don't think Lucas was trying to say it was okay. I think he was trying to paint the picture that Jones isn't a good guy. I'm looking at it from the perspective of what kind of story they were trying to tell when they were working on this movie. My guess is that they were trying to tell us that Jones isn't as cool as he looks, but Spielberg did such a great job, it is a brilliantly directed movie, that we all kind of missed seeing what Lucas wanted to character to be. 

Reading through that article makes it pretty clear to me that Lucas's idea was to make sure that we saw Jones as the hero and protagonist, but not as a particularly great guy. I think Lucas meant for Jones to be more like Tony Soprano, where we're rooting for him, but yikes. He's not a good person. At one point later in the movie, they even have this bit of dialogue from Jones's main adversary:

Belloq: You and I are very much alike. Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you.

So just in case we missed the line about Jones having an affair with Marion when she was 15, the Belloq line spells it out for us. Jones is barely any different from the obvious villian.

As far as the Marion affair goes, age of consent in Connecticut (where Jones's college is set) in the 1920s was 16. (Still is, by the way.) So that's why I think Lucas said this in that article:

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Sixteen isn't interesting. (!) But if they make her 15 in the story, we'll get that Jones is not as cool as he appears to be.  Well, we were supposed to get it...

But Spielberg did such an amazing job with that movie that nobody caught on to what Lucas was trying to tell us. Then they made several sequels, Lego games, yada, yada, yada, and nobody remembers that the original story was telling us to NOT see Jones as a great guy.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Raiders was exhiliarating. I remember when my friend and I left the theater we were practically whooping with excitement. Not so much about Indy but about the adventure and the crazy ride. It was different from anything we'd seen before.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I love cold food! Salads, sandwiches, smoothies, you name it. It just doesn’t agree with me as well. 

I’m sorry you get so much grief over what you eat. It sounds like you are a healthy person. That’s all that matters. :)

It's cultural baggage.  I refuse to call it "cultural trauma" even though many mental health articles talk about that with children of immigrants.   

• Hugs 2
(edited)
On 5/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, oliviabenson said:

I love roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes and French fries. Mmm potatoes. 

I love potatoes cooked just about anyway.  If I want potatoes but don't want to be 'healthy' about it (such as having a baked potato with some veggies or light sour cream on it), I go all out and either make roasted potatoes (potato chunks with a mixture of veg oil, melted butter, and an envelope of onion soup mix on top) or a skillet dish of onions, potato chunks or slices, a little oil or butter, all cooked tender with a couple of bacon slices cooked then chopped and added near the end.  Like I said, definitely not health food, but tasty.

Well, for the first time in a few years, I plan to take a whole week off from work.  I usually take just a Monday or a Friday here and there, just to give me the occasional three-day weekend (or four-day if I plan a Friday off around one of our few Monday holidays).  It's actually more than a week, because I'm taking off this Friday as well.  I would love to take a trip, but other than my bad knees not allowing me to do much walking, I have two very elderly cats that I don't like to leave alone more than one night. So I've been sticking close to home.  So it will be a staycation, but other than a few chores (I'm in the middle of doing a deep cleaning of my house and I need to do some yardwork/gardening) I plan to just watch TV, read some of my favorite childhood books (anyone here a Trixie Belden fan?), and try out some new recipes.  I'm looking forward to it (although I'm spending this week at work doing extra work so I won't have some projects waiting for me when I get back.

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
16 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

read some of my favorite childhood books (anyone here a Trixie Belden fan?)

Yep, my best friend and I were really into those books.

• Like 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I plan to just watch TV, read some of my favorite childhood books (anyone here a Trixie Belden fan?),

Loved Trixie!  I was a devourer of most of those girls series books back in the day.   I may or may not have bought two recently at a charity shop 🙂.

Edited by Bethany
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, Bethany said:

Loved Trixie!  I was a devourer of most of those girls series books back in the day.   I may or may not have bought two recently at a charity shop 

I still have some of my original Trixie books (most worse for wear), but I filled in other gaps over the years. I also have the Donna Parker series, some of the 'Meg' mysteries, and most --if not all--the Robin Kane mysteries. I used to read Nancy Drew (and some Hardy Boys), but I don't care for them as much re-reading them as an adult.  Trixie (and the others like those) are great because the main characters were kids/teens.  Although Nancy Drew was supposed to be 18 or 19 years old, she always seemed much older to me.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BooksRule said:

I also have the Donna Parker series

I just got the whole series a few months ago (thank you ebay).  I thought I remembered them but actually only one or two had really stuck with me - but those covers!  They were so striking - I remembered every one of them.  

Agree about Nancy - I had a lot of my mothers so the original recipe Nancy - and then got more but lost interest in them fairly quickly and although I still have them I doubt I'll re-read.  Same with most of the Stratemayer Syndicate series for that matter.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I love potatoes cooked just about anyway.  If I want potatoes but don't want to be 'healthy' about it (such as having a baked potato with some veggies or light sour cream on it), I go all out and either make roasted potatoes (potato chunks with a mixture of veg oil, melted butter, and an envelope of onion soup mix on top) or a skillet dish of onions, potato chunks or slices, a little oil or butter, all cooked tender with a couple of bacon slices cooked then chopped and added near the end.  Like I said, definitely not health food, but tasty.

My local barbecue place makes loaded tater tots:  tots topped with bacon, chopped tomatoes, cheese and sour cream.  Yum.  Like potato tot nachos. 

Has anyone ever had Mormon Funeral Potatoes?  I have not, but I'd love to try them.  I'm about as far away from a Mormon as you can get. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Lol…looks like I still got it.  Walking home from the gym, rushing back since I was late for a meeting, some random guy drives by and says “hey, baby!”  Funny because I looked like $h!t at the time.  No clue what the guy looked like…

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 4
On 5/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, supposebly said:

I have replaced beef burgers with meat replacement like impossible meat. It feels less heavy. I can't do a whole beef burger anymore. Even one of those, I eat maybe once every two months.

You may have done this already, but if not: take a long look at the ingredient list on that "impossible meat". The salt content alone makes that stuff really unhealthy! Its all highly processed stuff - not real food at all. If a beef burger is too heavy then yes, eat either a much smaller one, half of one, or try a ground turkey burger.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, isalicat said:

You may have done this already, but if not: take a long look at the ingredient list on that "impossible meat". The salt content alone makes that stuff really unhealthy! Its all highly processed stuff - not real food at all. If a beef burger is too heavy then yes, eat either a much smaller one, half of one, or try a ground turkey burger.

Or go to specialty shops where they make vegan burgers in house with real ingredients (black beans, for example).  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Has anyone ever had Mormon Funeral Potatoes?

We usually make a pan of funeral potatoes (aka 'Hash brown casserole') just about every Christmas (for some extra carbs to go with out southern cornbread dressing, don'cha know?).  If you mean the recipe with the has brown/shredded potatoes, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, etc. (with crushed corn flakes on top mixed with melted butter), I love it!  (And any that is leftover heats up really well and tastes even better the next day)

• Useful 3
On 5/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, supposebly said:

Enjoy the crap out of your Beyond or Impossible burger. Not everything has to be healthy or good for you.

I love a good burger, but ground beef gives me heartburn (steak, does not) so I eat Beyond or Impossible burgers when I want a burger. They sure hit the spot.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

Lol…looks like I still got it.  Walking home from the gym, rushing back since I was late for a meeting, some random guy drives by and says “hey, baby!”  Funny because I looked like $h!t at the time.  No clue what the guy looked like…

I've had that happen too. In my experience, men don't care a whole lot about your face if they like your body. I've gotten attention when my skin's been at its worst. Trust me, the worst is pretty bad! 

Regarding the impossible burgers, I'm definitely a fan as a vegetarian. I agree that not everything needs to be perfectly healthy for you. Sometimes a veggie burger, fries and a little soda just really hit the spot.

Now people like my mother need to get it through their heads that vegetarian does not mean healthy. My mother says that constantly. "Why isn't this healthy? It's vegetarian." If something isn't made of meat, it might as well be broccoli to her no matter how processed or full of chemicals.  

• Like 5