Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, nokat said:

Spitting on someone may be considered assault

I think it would be considered battery.

34 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

No. If he does something else similar I will.

Your choice, I believe I’d report it especially since you know who did it. 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, nokat said:

I wouldn't wait. Spitting on someone may be considered assault, depending on where you are. What happened was unacceptable.

Are you allowed to carry pepper spray? I carry it while out walking because of encounters with creepy men and aggressive dogs. 

I do not know if it’s legal to carry pepper spray in NY. 

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I really think you should report him so it's on the record.

But, it's up to you.

Absolutely. There needs to be documentation in case he escalates. I'd file a police report.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

I agree with all the above, he should be reported,  In the meantime, you can get a locksmith to put a deadbolt on your door that you can lock on the inside.   Call today before it gets to be night time so they will come today.

Also 311 may have advice.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Olivia sweetheart, please be careful! I'd also file a police report and let management know. I hope you stay safe. *big hug

Definitely file a police report. There may be other incidents that they know about. The mgmt/owners of your bldg must be told about this now. He sounds mentally ill. Don't go back to your apt. alone. If you can't find someone you know to accompany you, ask a police officer to go with you. And yes, you need some type of lock he can't bypass. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

I've started house hunting in NV, and man, 90s architecture is wild. No doors between the bedroom and bathroom in the master bath. A shower inside a small water closet with a toilet while a giant soaking tub is by the sinks just outside the water closet. No door leading to the sink and tub. 

Another house didn't have a door at all, it was master bedroom then where there should be a door, was just the bedroom closet, soaking tub, shower, and toilet. No doors at all. I noped out of that one real quick.

• Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 1

We have friends who bought a house in which the main bathroom has no door and is across the hallway from the main bedroom. There are two other bedrooms on that floor. I have no idea if they ever had a door built for that bathroom but if it were my house, I sure would. I can't imagine what it's like when they have guests. Who designs these houses???

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

No doors between the bedroom and bathroom in the master bath. A shower inside a small water closet with a toilet

That's how the main bedroom is in my parents' house (built in the '60s) -- it's huge, but largely open.  At the far end, the walk-in closet to the left has a door, but to the right there's no door to the sinks part of the bathroom (double sinks, but across from each other rather than next to each other; that part is a fantastic set-up), only to the part off of that which has the shower (stall only, no tub; the only tub is in the guest bathroom) and toilet.  They considered putting in a pocket door, but after they lived in it they realized it wasn't an issue, given their schedules -- someone being at the sink at the same time the other was in bed trying to sleep really didn't happen, so being able to shut a door when on the toilet was all they needed.

There are some really odd floorplans out there!  When I was a kid, my grandpa got his real estate license after my grandma died so he'd have something to occupy his time in retirement.  He didn't give a shit how much he sold since he didn't need the money, he just found it fun to show people houses.  And I love touring houses (it was, of course, much more stressful later when I was looking for one to actually live in), so he'd take me through all his listings.  I miss that.  I live in an old neighborhood, with a wide variety of houses, so when I come upon on open house on one of my walks, I will always go in -- but I tell the agent up front I am just a looky-loo so don't waste any time on me. 

• Like 3

My parents had a condo where the walk-in closet in the master/main bedroom didn’t have  door-door.  It was behind a wall, next to the bathroom.  It was, in other words, s “changing space.”  The bathroom was a huge room with his and hers sinks and a huge soaking tub.  Shower was next to the sink.  Toilet?  In a tiny closet with a door.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I've started house hunting in NV, and man, 90s architecture is wild. No doors between the bedroom and bathroom in the master bath. A shower inside a small water closet with a toilet while a giant soaking tub is by the sinks just outside the water closet. No door leading to the sink and tub. 

Another house didn't have a door at all, it was master bedroom then where there should be a door, was just the bedroom closet, soaking tub, shower, and toilet. No doors at all. I noped out of that one real quick.

I have a 90s house, and there is no door between the bedroom and bathroom, and then a walk in closet with a door (like you need more privacy there, hee). The toilet is in it's own separate tiny room with a door, so at least that's not out in the open. There is a walk in shower and a large tub. A neighbor installed a door but it never bothered me too much.

5 hours ago, PRgal said:

My parents had a condo where the walk-in closet in the master/main bedroom didn’t have  door-door.  It was behind a wall, next to the bathroom.  It was, in other words, s “changing space.”  The bathroom was a huge room with his and hers sinks and a huge soaking tub.  Shower was next to the sink.  Toilet?  In a tiny closet with a door.  

That's called a water closet. If you look at house plans you'll often see a small space labeled "wc" next to the bathroom.

image.thumb.png.de8b7b67b5df2b8ec1cae5b99a949e9f.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Years ago when we were househunting we came across one where the huge soaker style tub had been installed in the middle of the bedroom.  Tub in bedroom aside, the room was also fully carpeted.  I've always thought that was two odd choices.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I hate this style so much! 

image.png.20528df0f4ff9a1ec5f4b1eb97e127ee.png

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Years ago when we were househunting we came across one where the huge soaker style tub had been installed in the middle of the bedroom.  Tub in bedroom aside, the room was also fully carpeted.  I've always thought that was two odd choices.

I can't find it now, but there was a house with mirrored ceilings in the living room, a turquoise hot tub in the bathroom and it generally looked like a house that was used to film adult movies.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

You'd hate my bathroom then. The glass shower is in front of a large room length mirror, so it can remind you to slow down on the chips and dip.

That walk-in shower was damn nice after my leg fractures when I could barely bend my knee enough to get over that tiny lip to step in. No way could I have safely stepped into a tub for a shower.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I like the idea of a separate shower.  I want a tub, yet I don’t want to stand in a tub when I shower! 

I have separate in my house, but most other places I've lived I had a tub shower.  I did not at all mind showering in a tub, but I do like it better taking a bath in a tub that is nice and open, with no curtain or, worse, door.  (With a combo, for a shower - which is its primary use, so what I went with - I wanted a door, but then when using it as a tub, I wished it was a curtain.)

• Like 2

Well, some good and bad news. The good news is that I got my tax refund!

Modesty and/or not wanting to put out on the 'Net my financial information is keeping me from divulging the actual dollar amount of the refund.

However (and here's the bad news), after paying the accountant to do their best to make sense of my income,etc. while navigating the altered tax form, I wound up netting a grand total of under $20, yes less than twenty entire US Dollars.  Whoopdee-doo.

Still, it beats the last time I attempted to file myself on the altered form and wound up having to cough up a multiples more than $20 instead of getting my anticipated refund.  Oh well.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, some good and bad news. The good news is that I got my tax refund!

Modesty and/or not wanting to put out on the 'Net my financial information is keeping me from divulging the actual dollar amount of the refund.

However (and here's the bad news), after paying the accountant to do their best to make sense of my income,etc. while navigating the altered tax form, I wound up netting a grand total of under $20, yes less than twenty entire US Dollars.  Whoopdee-doo.

Still, it beats the last time I attempted to file myself on the altered form and wound up having to cough up a multiples more than $20 instead of getting my anticipated refund.  Oh well.

I call that a huge win, it means you didn't pay significantly more taxes than you had to (even after paying an accountant).

I use TurboTax and always aim to break even. The "new" (aka stupid) W4 tax form looks to be withholding the same amount as my self-selected W4 at my last job, which was the old tax form.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I hate the separate tub and shower situation because it usually means the tub and shower are tiny.  Not enough room to stretch out in the tub, and barely enough room to turn around in the shower.  More modern builds fix that problem, but older builds and renovations are ridiculous on space.  I always look for towel racks, too.  I'd prefer not to have to make my way halfway across the room to get a damn towel.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Now I wouldn’t mind that at all, unless there’s something I’m not seeing. Are they too close together, or…? Having a separate tub and shower seems like the height of luxury to me!

What i couldn’t understand (when we looked at various high end “home show” type houses in the 80s and 90s) - there would be a single door separating the bedroom from the bathroom/walk in closet area. So if one member of the couple wanted bathroom privacy, the other couldn’t even get to the closet. But worse than that to me was the thought of all that humidity from the bath/shower coexisting with all the stuff in my closet!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I would love a HUGE bathroom with separate shower/bathtub. 

And a giant kitchen. 

I don't care about the size of a bathroom, so long as it has everything I want (which includes having both a shower and a tub, they just neither one need to be big [I do wish I had room for about one more foot of tub length, though, since I'm tall -- it would physically fit, but wouldn't look right]), as I'm in there for a limited time for a few specific tasks, but after years of small galley kitchens I love having a big kitchen with ample counter and cabinet space, plus a little nook for a table.  There's just enough room that when I remodel it, I can put in an island for my cooktop (and storage), which will improve my work triangle. 

In my house, the three largest rooms are the living room, followed by the kitchen, then the bigger of the two bedrooms.  That is exactly where and in what order I want most of the space apportioned, so the layout is one of the things I like best about this house.  Some neighbors have remarked on it in envy, as they have similarly-sized (about 1600 sq. ft.) houses but with three bedrooms, so their living rooms and kitchens are smaller than they'd like.  It was built in 1938, so it does not have as much closet space as a house of that size built today would have, but it's plenty for me since I don't have to share with anyone (and I don't accumulate a lot of stuff).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just finished watching Crossing Delancy on TCM. I'd forgotten about the soundtrack's pretty version of Come Softly by The Roches. Anyone remember the Fleetwoods' original recording? 

Yep.  It’s on u- tube.

• Like 1

My perfect house is a penthouse condo with three or four real bedrooms (not dens.  Toronto condos, no matter how large, are typically 2+.  And this includes those that over 2000 square feet and several million dollars), high walkscore and near good transit.  Must be near a park and other kid-friendly amenities as well as a supermarket or two.  Farmer’s market is a plus!  Ideal number of bathrooms:  ensuite in all bedrooms!  Kitchen with top of the line appliances, including a steam oven. 

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 3

My perfect house is by a lake with neighbours nearby but not too near.  Also a place that doesn't have traffic noise.  The house itself just needs all the mod cons and room for my books.   

• Like 4

@annzeepark914 I recorded Crossing Delancey last night! I remember when it came out. Here is a recent Vanity Fair article about Amy Irving and Crossing Delancey I came across last night.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/04/amy-irving-is-crossing-delancey

eta I am verklempt (slight hyperbole) over being able to again view movies I remember from the 70's and 80's on TCM, lol. But when I do the math, yeah, they are now classics I guess. Ha! 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/29/2023 at 12:46 AM, Bastet said:

And I love touring houses

That's one of the reasons why I love to go to estate sales.  One is to hopefully find some interesting (and cheap) things to buy, but also to wander through other people's homes.  In my area, I haven't seen too many far-out or really unusual homes (although I did go to one sale one time where I wished I could fold up the master bathroom and take it home--it was perfect), but the best ones I've been to were in the Atlanta area when I would visit family and we would go to some sales.  A few really fancy homes and lots of mid-century modern ones (that sometimes looked like someone moved into it in the 1960s and never changed a thing).

I didn't try to go to any sales this weekend, though. I volunteer at a local history museum and worked there yesterday.  Today I felt obligated to mow my yard. I could have put it off for a few more days, but the weather is cool (high of 79), breezy, with low humidity and there won't be too many more days like that.  And, I really want to get my flower beds cleaned out and I don't want to start on those until the yard is 'clean'. 

• Like 4

We had winter - and so much rain! (that we needed, at least) - so much farther into the year than is typical, but we've had nice warm, sunny weather for weeks now -- until today.  It's down to 70 and steadily dropping, clouds are rolling in, and we're supposed to be around 60 for most of next week.  Come on!  Hopefully we'll at least get some rain.  I just did some planting, so it would be nice not to have to water.  (Although I also potted some indoor plants last night [not having paid attention to the forecast], and now they're not going to get any sun.)

• Like 3

We've had days recently here in the deep south (U.S.) where I've had the heat on in the morning and was forced to turn on the central air conditioning by late afternoon.  I'm just happy for any days where the A/C doesn't have to run almost continuously because my electric bill gets so high. But, once summer kicks in -- probably in a couple of weeks-- I'll have the high bills at least through September.

It's such a nice day right now, that even though I'm tired from mowing the lawn, I'm tempted to go out and pull a few weeds.  It wouldn't be too tiring, since I'll be sitting on the ground, but it does take a little effort to get myself back on my feet these days!

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We had winter - and so much rain! (that we needed, at least) - so much farther into the year than is typical, but we've had nice warm, sunny weather for weeks now -- until today.  It's down to 70 and steadily dropping, clouds are rolling in, and we're supposed to be around 60 for most of next week.  Come on!  Hopefully we'll at least get some rain.  I just did some planting, so it would be nice not to have to water.  (Although I also potted some indoor plants last night [not having paid attention to the forecast], and now they're not going to get any sun.)

You're in LA, right? I'm in the Bay Area, and we have rain in the forecast on Tuesday. In May. Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I was talking to my family over video and heard loud thunder out the window at least four times here in the city.  It's been absolutely awful all weekend.  My Ipad was telling me that my neighborhood was in a "flood zone", a bit of hyperbole fortunately.  Still I am happy not to be out there walking in it.  It's been really cold too, with temps in the low 50s and feeling like the 40s at times.  It should be a lot nicer in maybe a week.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 3

We're meant to be about 15-20 degrees cooler than normal for the next couple of days, plus gusty winds.  It has rained the better part of the day today, too.  I'm ready to put my winter clothes away!  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

We're meant to be about 15-20 degrees cooler than normal for the next couple of days, plus gusty winds.  It has rained the better part of the day today, too.

Similar weather here.  And if one more person says "so much for global warming" aarghh!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

The weather here was gorgeous today. Finally Spring like! The high was 78° and tomorrow looks to be the same. It has been a long bitter cold winter but finally some warm weather. 3-4 days down the road rain and thunderstorms, so I'll take this while I can get it.

It will be some weeks before anything starts to bloom as nights are still in the 30's, but that is typical for here, so used to that.  Can't wait for my lilacs to bloom!

• Like 3

I don't wanna put my winter stuff away...I *love* cold weather! Love my black turtlenecks and sweatshirts and leggings (I'm retired and don't have to look professional for anyone, thank goodness!) Hoping May will be cool and a bit rainy because I've watched too much scary news about droughts out west.

• Like 7

So the Toronto Maple Leafs won last night and for the first time in years have advanced to the next stage of vying for the Stanley Cup. 

Which has enraged my uncle who loathes the Leafs with the heat of a thousand suns.  But man my Mother would have been happy!  They were her team and she rooted for them almost as passionately as her brother rooted against them 😄.

If they actually make it to the finals I'm going to have to actually :sigh: watch the finals in her memory.  Greater love hath no daughter as I Do Not Like Hockey (unless my grandson is playing!)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You're in LA, right? I'm in the Bay Area, and we have rain in the forecast on Tuesday. In May. Ridiculous. 

Yep, and yep -- I'm in L.A., and this happening in May is ridiculous.  I hope we actually do get some rain, because if it's simply gloomy all week without anything good coming of it, I am going to be even more unhappy.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

So the Toronto Maple Leafs won last night and for the first time in years have advanced to the next stage of vying for the Stanley Cup. 

Which has enraged my uncle who loathes the Leafs with the heat of a thousand suns.  But man my Mother would have been happy!  They were her team and she rooted for them almost as passionately as her brother rooted against them 😄.

If they actually make it to the finals I'm going to have to actually :sigh: watch the finals in her memory.  Greater love hath no daughter as I Do Not Like Hockey (unless my grandson is playing!)

I remember going to hockey games when I lived in Boston for a couple of years and watching the Bruins play Canadian teams. A mom of one of my roommates was a mega fan & was honored by the Bruins (she'd have the team out to their home for BBQ's when they returned for the season). Boston is a fun sports town.

• Like 2