Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

@theredhead77, apparently this particular ship was recently renovated, according to my sister.

I like tacos, but my husband is not fond of Mexican cuisine.

lol on your food preferences vs your husband’s.  I like vegetarian meals and my husband is all about meat. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Our son is having a very unconventional park wedding and the wedding venue is a reception in a residential backyard. Taco truck dinner.

Sounds great!  (That was how a memorial service I attended recently was done.)  There are tons of good taco trucks in southern CA.

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Sounds great!  (That was how a memorial service I attended recently was done.)  There are tons of good taco trucks in southern CA.

Until it rains!  My wedding was supposed to be outdoors, overlooking Lake Ontario.  Ummmm....nope.  Rain location was the verandah of the clubhouse.  It just wasn't the same.

• Hugs 2
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I miss running into a random taco truck, or street meat.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Until it rains!  My wedding was supposed to be outdoors, overlooking Lake Ontario.  Ummmm....nope.  Rain location was the verandah of the clubhouse.  It just wasn't the same.

I went to a wedding on the Cedar River here in WA. We were all standing there, with river in the backround and it started to rain. We all just stayed. It was a beautiful wedding.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Other than fruterias, street food is still somewhat limited to certain areas here, but food trucks sometimes feel like they're on every other block.  The great ones are fantastic!  I like how many different kinds of food are now available that way, but an old school taco truck will probably forever be my favorite.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I enjoyed all the different food trucks in Austin, when we visited. Also, their great barbecue joints. My son has now relocated to the Hudson Valley of NY, after 7 years of living in Austin. It was a bittersweet decision for him, as he loved living there, but having our first grandchild a car ride away, has been wonderful. 

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

That sounds like a lovely locale. I'm sorry it rained, but glad there was an option for you and your guests.

Spring of 1983 was one of the wettest on record in my area of NY. It rained for 8 straight weekends, up to, and including the day of my wedding. We weren't able to take any outdoor photos at the venue, which was a bummer. The rain did let up after our Mass, so we were able to take a group photo of the wedding party on the church steps. 

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I went to a wedding on the Cedar River here in WA. We were all standing there, with river in the backround and it started to rain. We all just stayed. It was a beautiful wedding.

Did you have an umbrella?  Was the reception held out in the rain, too? No tent? No covered space?  I give you a lot of credit. Not for me. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Other than fruterias, street food is still somewhat limited to certain areas here, but food trucks sometimes feel like they're on every other block.  The great ones are fantastic!  I like how many different kinds of food are now available that way, but an old school taco truck will probably forever be my favorite.

I had mixed feelings leaving SoFi after a concert and it was just bacon-wrapped hot-dog carts for as far as the eye could see. Sanctioned street meat is good, and I presume the carts are some sort of catering service. On one hand, no options meant just getting whatever from the first cart you found. On the other hand, I miss having to pick a corner or go from corner to corner to get your tacos and your street corn.

Though I went to a concert in LA and encountered the multi-cart options when we left. Unfortunately, I was too full to get my street meat fix. I still regret it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

My son has now relocated to the Hudson Valley of NY, after 7 years of living in Austin. It was a bittersweet decision for him, as he loved living there, but having our first grandchild a car ride away, has been wonderful. 

Lucky son & family now living in the gorgeous Hudson Valley. I grew up there, taking the stunning vistas of the mountains & river for granted. Wish I could get my husband to agree to move to Rhinebeck (such a cute, historic village), but nope!

Re: cruises out of San Diego... can't one board a Holland America or Princess for a few days cruise up/down the coast? 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Did you have an umbrella?  Was the reception held out in the rain, too? No tent? No covered space?  I give you a lot of credit. Not for me. 

Nope. Someone ran and got umbrellas for some of the older ladies but most of us were in our early twenties.  Long haired hippie types and it was a warm rain. But yeah, we all went back to the house for the reception. It was not a formal affair.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I enjoyed all the different food trucks in Austin, when we visited. Also, their great barbecue joints. My son has now relocated to the Hudson Valley of NY, after 7 years of living in Austin. It was a bittersweet decision for him, as he loved living there, but having our first grandchild a car ride away, has been wonderful. 

That sounds like a lovely locale. I'm sorry it rained, but glad there was an option for you and your guests.

Spring of 1983 was one of the wettest on record in my area of NY. It rained for 8 straight weekends, up to, and including the day of my wedding. We weren't able to take any outdoor photos at the venue, which was a bummer. The rain did let up after our Mass, so we were able to take a group photo of the wedding party on the church steps. 

It stopped after our ceremony and we were able to take photos. But it was a downpour when we left after the reception that night! 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wish I could get my husband to agree to move to Rhinebeck (such a cute, historic village), but nope!

Actors Paul Rudd and Jeffrey Dean Morgan own a candy store there, and I believe Rudd has a home there. My husband owns a vintage automobile and just came back from a car show on Long Island this afternoon. While he was there, he found out from the man parked next to him, that Rhinebeck's annual car show was this past weekend. My husband was so bummed. He used to go to that show when his best friend was still alive. Our son lives across the river and was supposed to let us know when the Rhinebeck show was. He either forgot or hadn't heard about it. 

As pretty as the Hudson Valley is, there's too much snow and it's a colder climate than Long Island. And the hills! My word!  Where I live it's flat, flat, flat. I'm a nervous wreck pulling out of my son's driveway. His block is so hilly! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: cruises out of San Diego... can't one board a Holland America or Princess for a few days cruise up/down the coast? 

Yes? They go to Mexico, sometimes with a stop in Catalina. It's basically the same itinerary if you leave from Long Beach, L.A., or S.D.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Do you guys think it's inappropriate to ask if someone is gay?

There's a man who's known me for just a little bit. He asked me about my relationship status before. I ran into him recently, and he brought up that he didn't see a ring on my finger. He asked me why I was single, and asked if I couldn't find someone good enough. I told him I just hadn't found someone right for me. He seemed really perplexed that I was single and asked if I liked girls. I'm straight, and I don't think there's anything wrong if I did like girls. But I thought, isn't that a little intrusive? There are still quite a few intolerant and even downright hateful people out there. I know it's not comfortable for everyone to be open. In the past, one of my friends who's gay said he doesn't think anyone should ever ask. I had another friend who was gay, and he tried to keep quiet about it at work because he didn't want to deal with nastiness. (He was a sweetheart who almost everyone  in the office loved except the few nasty bigots.)

There have been two other instances. The other two were with people I had known for longer though. One time it was a man who had a thing for me for years I wanted nothing to do with. After he hadn't seen me in awhile, he texted me asking if I was engaged or married yet or gone the other way. There was also a female friend I made years ago. She was a nice lady, but just grew apart. But she couldn't believe I was single and would try to set me up. I was always leery, so one time she asked if I liked men. Now she was bisexual herself and we had a friendship, so I didn't see her as someone who would have an issue if I were attracted to women. (I still would never ask though.)

Anyhow, I'm not sensitive about the idea of people thinking I'm a lesbian, but I would think that would be a very uncomfortable question for some people. The constant questions about my relationship status get so annoying though. I try to be truthful but maintain a bit of privacy. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

There's a man who's known me for just a little bit. He asked me about my relationship status before. I ran into him recently, and he brought up that he didn't see a ring on my finger. He asked me why I was single, and asked if I couldn't find someone good enough. I told him I just hadn't found someone right for me. He seemed really perplexed that I was single and asked if I liked girls. I'm straight, and I don't think there's anything wrong if I did like girls. But I thought, isn't that a little intrusive? There are still quite a few intolerant and even downright hateful people out there. I know it's not comfortable for everyone to be open. In the past, one of my friends who's gay said he doesn't think anyone should ever ask. I had another friend who was gay, and he tried to keep quiet about it at work because he didn't want to deal with nastiness. (He was a sweetheart who almost everyone  in the office loved except the few nasty bigots.)

There have been two other instances. The other two were with people I had known for longer though. One time it was a man who had a thing for me for years I wanted nothing to do with. After he hadn't seen me in awhile, he texted me asking if I was engaged or married yet or gone the other way. There was also a female friend I made years ago. She was a nice lady, but just grew apart. But she couldn't believe I was single and would try to set me up. I was always leery, so one time she asked if I liked men. Now she was bisexual herself and we had a friendship, so I didn't see her as someone who would have an issue if I were attracted to women. (I still would never ask though.)

Anyhow, I'm not sensitive about the idea of people thinking I'm a lesbian, but I would think that would be a very uncomfortable question for some people. The constant questions about my relationship status get so annoying though. I try to be truthful but maintain a bit of privacy. 

I wouldn’t answer that question. I’d say I’m not comfortable answering that or 

why do you ask? 

I am at an age that I’d be very happy to answer rudely. What a rude question to ask in the first place.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

why do you ask? 

I am at an age that I’d be very happy to answer rudely. What a rude question to ask in the first place.

I would say that I don't date.  And then GLARE at the person.

Also, maybe it's a language issue?  Does he speak English as a second/third/later language?  Even my parents, who are both very fluent for people from Hong Kong have told me that they sometimes have to translate things in their head before saying them when speaking English (though my dad would be the first to say that it's reverse if he's talking finance/business.  I'd guess it's the same for tech for my mom).  And if it's language, you might have to also factor in cultural differences.  

11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

There are still quite a few intolerant and even downright hateful people out there. I know it's not comfortable for everyone to be open. In the past, one of my friends who's gay said he doesn't think anyone should ever ask.

You should never "out" someone who hasn't done so themselves either.

The only reason I can think of to care about someones orientation is if you are interested in dating. People can be busybodies and want to set up dates for single people and be intrusive in that way. It's none of their business unless you ask if they know anyone available for dating.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

why do you ask? 

Women have the reputation for being bigger gossips, but I swear men are the ones most in my business. 

8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I would say that I don't date.  And then GLARE at the person.

Also, maybe it's a language issue?  Does he speak English as a second/third/later language?  Even my parents, who are both very fluent for people from Hong Kong have told me that they sometimes have to translate things in their head before saying them when speaking English (though my dad would be the first to say that it's reverse if he's talking finance/business.  I'd guess it's the same for tech for my mom).  And if it's language, you might have to also factor in cultural differences.  

As far as I know, he only speaks English. 

6 minutes ago, nokat said:

You should never "out" someone who hasn't done so themselves either.

The only reason I can think of to care about someones orientation is if you are interested in dating. People can be busybodies and want to set up dates for single people and be intrusive in that way. It's none of their business unless you ask if they know anyone available for dating.

Definitely not.

Yeah, that was that old friend of mine. 

I wondered if this man was interested in me himself yesterday. He has given me compliments on my looks before, but he's just so much older, I thought he was simply being complimentary in the past. 

If so, he's like the third older man in a row who's been interested in me. At least he's younger than the octogenarian who asked me out. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)

If someone asked me if I’m gay, I’d just answer. The spirit in which it’s asked would matter though.

Everyone is different regarding this, of course.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't think it's appropriate to ask, but it's up to the person asked if they're comfortable answering.  And I agree with the poster who said it's never okay to out someone.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Women have the reputation for being bigger gossips, but I swear men are the ones most in my business. 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Older men tend to not respect peoples boundaries.

The night before my mum's first surgery, in 2016, we had a few family members visit. That was appreciated, until one uncle started grilling me on my love life. Was I seeing anyone? No? Why not? Am I scared? I hadn't slept for three days, and it was the last thing on my mind. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4

Anyone here ditch a vegan or even vegetarian diet?

I haven’t had meat in many years, and I try to eat plant-based as much as possible. If I’m a guest somewhere or traveling, I am not a strict vegan.

My stomach has been bothering me lately. Today I had a McDonalds breakfast. I didn’t have meat, but I had eggs and cheese, along with hash browns and coffee. Even though this was fast food and surely not the healthiest, I had zero stomach problems. When I have a lot of fruit, a smoothie, oatmeal, avocado toast, I have stomach issues. 

A part of me is relieved that I found food that agrees with me, and it’s not some gluten-free boring food. But the part of me that loves animals doesn’t know what to do. I try to be vegan as much as possible, and now I’m also wondering if my body would be even happier if I ate meat. After all these years, I can’t look at any of them as food, just dead animals. I have never pushed my diet/lifestyles on to anyone, but meat still doesn’t remotely appeal to me.

Do you all think we were meant to eat meat or more plant-based? 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Do you all think we were meant to eat meat or more plant-based? 

I’ve been mostly vegetarian for the past five years or so. My Mum is vegetarian and my dad non-vegetarian (I’m assuming he started eating meat when he joined the Army because I know my paternal grandparents were vegetarian).

Mum decided we should eat meat because at that time (early 70s), she wasn’t sure there was enough vegetarian food for us to eat in school.

I guess because there are so many vegetables and Daals (lentils) that I can cook, eating vegetarian isn’t a problem for me. I admit I feel ignorant when I ask, just what plant-based means? Sounds like the latest buzz word for the food I already eat? And as to your question, I don’t know.

Humans have eaten and survived not eating plant-based foods for centuries.

I’ve made a promise to myself to stop eating fast food and processed foods since coming back from India.

The first week or so, I had problems with my stomach readjusting to eating food here again. I know it’s because of the water. 

• Like 2

I find that reducing meat in my diet is overall good for me. However, I have a hard time eliminating dairy, mostly because I can't live without cheese and I find vegan "cheese" weird. I've replaced milk with oat variants for most uses except in my coffee. So, reduction instead of elimination. I can't live without eggs but I only buy eggs from local farms where the chickens run free outside. I do wish there was a way to create milk that doesn't involve cows. I have found in the rare cases when I would like a burger, I actually prefer meat replacements such as impossible meat, etc. Not often, but I like it well.

I don't think we're "meant" to eat anything one way or another. We are omnivores. 

What I find is that if I abstain from something for a while and then eat it again, it doesn't quite agree with me. It improves however once I eat it more regularly. I had that issue with mushrooms a few months ago.

Pretty much every research on nutrition tells us to have more plant-based food and less meat, especially red meat. We just have to find the plants that work for us.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’ve been mostly vegetarian for the past five years or so. My Mum is vegetarian and my dad non-vegetarian (I’m assuming he started eating meat when he joined the Army because I know my paternal grandparents were vegetarian).

Mum decided we should eat meat because at that time (early 70s), she wasn’t sure there was enough vegetarian food for us to eat in school.

I guess because there are so many vegetables and Daals (lentils) that I can cook, eating vegetarian isn’t a problem for me. I admit I feel ignorant when I ask, just what plant-based means? Sounds like the latest buzz word for the food I already eat? And as to your question, I don’t know.

Humans have eaten and survived not eating plant-based foods for centuries.

I’ve made a promise to myself to stop eating fast food and processed foods since coming back from India.

The first week or so, I had problems with my stomach readjusting to eating food here again. I know it’s because of the water. 

When I say plant-based, I mean oats, salads, legumes, all that good stuff. 

I make this really delicious salad with Brussels sprouts, lettuce, candied nuts, fresh fruits, cucumber, vegan cheese, etc. My stomach ends up hurting. It’s just too much for my body to digest. I can make the salad simpler, less fiber, but then it’s less filling and blah. 

1 minute ago, supposebly said:

I find that reducing meat in my diet is overall good for me. However, I have a hard time eliminating dairy, mostly because I can't live without cheese and I find vegan "cheese" weird. I've replaced milk with oat variants for most uses except in my coffee. So, reduction instead of elimination. I can't live without eggs but I only buy eggs from local farms where the chickens run free outside. I do wish there was a way to create milk that doesn't involve cows. I have found in the rare cases when I would like a burger, I actually prefer meat replacements such as impossible meat, etc. Not often, but I like it well.

I don't think we're "meant" to eat anything one way or another. We are omnivores. 

What I find is that if I abstain from something for a while and then eat it again, it doesn't quite agree with me. It improves however once I eat it more regularly. I had that issue with mushrooms a few months ago.

Pretty much every research on nutrition tells us to have more plant-based food and less meat, especially red meat. We just have to find the plants that work for us.

Yeah, plant-based foods seem to help prevent cancer and all sorts of stuff. But a lot of veggies at once or beans can be difficult to digest. A lot of the milk alternatives can be worse than regular milk. Soy can mess with your hormones. Other vegan milks and cheeses often don’t have the protein of dairy milk 🥛 but are straight carbs. I know many people who thrive completely vegan, but it’s not as easy for me. :( I wonder if I’m having a more difficult time just getting a bit older. I’m not eating any differently. I’ve been vegetarian for most of my life at this point. 

• Like 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I make this really delicious salad with Brussels sprouts, lettuce, candied nuts, fresh fruits, cucumber, vegan cheese, etc. My stomach ends up hurting. It’s just too much for my body to digest. I can make the salad simpler, less fiber, but then it’s less filling and blah

So, what we’ve always eaten, but a buzzword whoever thought was needed?🙄🙄🙄

Yikes! That sounds like too much of everything! Maybe try splitting the vegetables from the fruit?

Panera bread has the most delicious fruit salad with romaine lettuce, pecans, and poppyseed dressing. Oh, it comes with chicken, but I always nix that. The fruits are strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, and pineapple. It always fills me up. You can replicate this workout having to get it from Panera.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, what we’ve always eaten, but a buzzword.

Ykes! That sounds like too much of everything! Maybe try splitting the vegetables from the fruit?

Panera bread has the most delicious fruit salad with romaine lettuce, pecans, and poppyseed dressing. Oh, it comes with chicken, but I always nix that. The fruits are strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, and pineapple. It always fills me up. You can replicate this workout having to get it from Panera.

Just a suggestion.

Haha, yeah I used to have no problem eating something like that. 

Sounds delicious. I will try that! Thank you. 

• Like 1

Years ago I saw a drawing of the digestive systems for a dog and for a human. The dog's digestive system is like a straight shute. The human system is twisting & turning. The article was showing why humans were not meant to be meat eaters (like dogs are with their much simpler systems), that we were designed to eat grains, fruit, vegetables. I'm a meat eater but not as much as I used to be (husband doesn't like red meat). I could be a vegetarian if I lived upstairs from an Indian restaurant. They know how to make veggies taste divine!

Wendy's has a delicious salad with pecans (or walnuts??) & I think grapes. Haven't had it in a while. They put grilled chicken in it but maybe you can get it without. Good dressing too. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I could never be vegan. It's not so much the meat, I rarely eat meat but a life without cheese, butter, eggs and all the other delicious dairy would not be a life I'd want to live.

The most difficult things for me to resist are Italian food, ice cream, and milk chocolate. 

1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Years ago I saw a drawing of the digestive systems for a dog and for a human. The dog's digestive system is like a straight shute. The human system is twisting & turning. The article was showing why humans were not meant to be meat eaters (like dogs are with their much simpler systems), that we were designed to eat grains, fruit, vegetables. I'm a meat eater but not as much as I used to be (husband doesn't like red meat). I could be a vegetarian if I lived upstairs from an Indian restaurant. They know how to make veggies taste divine!

Indian food is so yummy. Big fan.

• Like 3
(edited)

The article was showing why humans were not meant to be meat eaters (like dogs are with their much simpler systems), that we were designed to eat grains, fruit, vegetables.

That makes very little sense. Cats' digestive systems are very short and straight too and they are obligate carnivores. Actual herbivores' digestive systems are even longer than humans, so as omnivores, we are somewhere in the middle. I think originally, canines are carnivores too. Same goes for our teeth, they are designed to work for meat and plants although our canine teeth are shorter than carnivore's teeth.

A little internet reading shows that it seems that more recent research shows that while dogs have adapted to a somewhat omnivore diet, they are in fact closer to carnivores based on their teeth and their digestive system.

ETA: The more I think about this, the more this makes no sense. If humans were designed to be herbivores, early hunter and gatherer societies would not make sense. Neither would arctic populations. Their primary food source is animals with some berries and moss collecting in addition during the short summer. Not a lot of plants to eat up there.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I have been mostly vegetarian for many years (only occasionally eat fish or seafood).  I would like to do vegan but do I would not want to give up cheese, eggs and butter.  Also, it takes a lot more effort to get the necessary nutrients.  I am vehemently against eating mammals and fowl but I never bother people who do.  I realize that the vast majority feel differently than I do and don't expect to be in charge of the world. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

That makes very little sense. Cats' digestive systems are very short and straight too and they are obligate carnivores. Actual herbivores' digestive systems are even longer than humans, so as omnivores, we are somewhere in the middle. I think originally, canines are carnivores too. Same goes for our teeth, they are designed to work for meat and plants although our canine teeth are shorter than carnivore's teeth.

A little internet reading shows that it seems that more recent research shows that while dogs have adapted to a somewhat omnivore diet, they are in fact closer to carnivores based on their teeth and their digestive system.

ETA: The more I think about this, the more this makes no sense. If humans were designed to be herbivores, early hunter and gatherer societies would not make sense. Neither would arctic populations. Their primary food source is animals with some berries and moss collecting in addition during the short summer. Not a lot of plants to eat up there.

The article was using a drawing of the dog digestive system as an example of systems Cats and other similar animals (wolves, tigers, etc) are probably the same. I didn't major in biology so I'm no expert, but it made sense to me back then (possibly 10-15 years ago). Our 7 year old cat had a number of teeth removed. I asked the vet, "How's she going to chew her food?" He said they don't chew their food. In the wild, they just tear and swallow. Indoor cats do the same...chomp and swallow. Lucky for them they have a simple system. 

• Like 5

Ah yes, that drawing comparing dogs to humans is an excellent example of the way people use easy to understand pictures or examples to tell the story they want to tell.  It's like when somebody uses a meme to prove their point. (I hate meme math with the fire of thousand nuns. So forgive the rant here.)

What the dog versus human digestive system drawings tell us is that Dogs are carnivores. Meat is easier to digest, and therefore they need less complex digestive systems and should really eat mostly meat. People advocating for vegetarianism then used the picture of the human digestive system and said "See, we're not supposed to eat meat because we don't have a carnivore's digestive system."

Which, no. 

Human's don't NEED to eat meat, but that drawing of the human digestive system very clearly shows that we are designed to do so. Humans are opportunistic eaters. For many people in the world today, we have the opportunity to survive just fine without eating meat. My daughter hasn't eaten meat in 8 or 9 years. 

I survive just fine with limited amounts of meat in my diet. (I'm also fine with putting bacon on my egg sandwich once in a while.)

I lived with a person who was vegan for a while. That was, in my opinion, more like a hobby than a lifestyle choice. Spending all day, every day, trying to figure out if somebody used egg whites to clarify the wine you were about to drink was too much for me.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I make this really delicious salad with Brussels sprouts, lettuce, candied nuts, fresh fruits, cucumber, vegan cheese, etc. My stomach ends up hurting. It’s just too much for my body to digest. I can make the salad simpler, less fiber, but then it’s less filling and blah. 

Yeah, plant-based foods seem to help prevent cancer and all sorts of stuff. But a lot of veggies at once or beans can be difficult to digest. A lot of the milk alternatives can be worse than regular milk. Soy can mess with your hormones. Other vegan milks and cheeses often don’t have the protein of dairy milk 🥛 but are straight carbs. I know many people who thrive completely vegan, but it’s not as easy for me. :( I wonder if I’m having a more difficult time just getting a bit older. I’m not eating any differently. I’ve been vegetarian for most of my life at this point. 

A lot of plant based milks have synthetic stabilizers and highly processed oils that aren’t great for you either.  You have to read labels and nutritionals.  I’m notorious about label reading!  The soy issue is up for debate since women in Asia (where soy is common…just not the ultra processed stuff) are apparently considered high risk for breast cancer at an older age.  Some even say that it even helps with menopause symptoms. 

• Like 2

I eat meat 4-5 times a week. I crave red meat when I’m on my period…

I have no interest in giving up meat, fish, eggs, dairy. 

Small quantities of meat and everything else is fine by me.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

A lot of plant based milks have synthetic stabilizers and highly processed oils that aren’t great for you either.  You have to read labels and nutritionals.  I’m notorious about label reading!  The soy issue is up for debate since women in Asia (where soy is common…just not the ultra processed stuff) are apparently considered high risk for breast cancer at an older age.  Some even say that it even helps with menopause symptoms. 

Correct. I wish people wouldn't think vegan = automatically healthy. 

I wonder if women in Asia have less breast cancer because their diets are healthier overall? 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I wonder if women in Asia have less breast cancer because their diets are healthier overall? 

Probably both.  I think one issue is that in the west, it's soy product that is consumed more than actual soy foods (like tofu, edamame and miso).

Mayo Clinic info on soy

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

My daughter is a psychologist at an eating disorder clinic. She told me that she's a bit suspicious of extremely thin (mostly) women who are vegans. A high number of the patients she sees are vegan (& these are people admitted to the clinic, that's part of a large hospital system, so by the time she sees them, they're in very bad shape).  I have a young cousin who's been a vegan for many years. She became a vegetarian during her pregnancies (her face looked so pretty during those days, not so harsh). But she's been healthy as far as I know throughout her mostly vegan years. She's a medical professional so maybe she's more aware of what she needs in her food regimen??  

• Like 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My daughter is a psychologist at an eating disorder clinic. She told me that she's a bit suspicious of extremely thin (mostly) women who are vegans. A high number of the patients she sees are vegan (& these are people admitted to the clinic, that's part of a large hospital system, so by the time she sees them, they're in very bad shape).  I have a young cousin who's been a vegan for many years. She became a vegetarian during her pregnancies (her face looked so pretty during those days, not so harsh). But she's been healthy as far as I know throughout her mostly vegan years. She's a medical professional so maybe she's more aware of what she needs in her food regimen??  

I absolutely had an eating disorder when I was a strict vegan. I wanted to be as skinny as possible while still trying to believe my lifestyle was healthy/humane and I didn't have a problem. When you have a loooong list of stuff you don't eat and a small list of what you do eat, there's a problem. Are there vegans who eat plenty and are careful they get all the nutrients they need? Absolutely, but being vegan is a way to get you out of eating an abundance of foods. It's much easier to be a vegan these days than it was when I first attempted it in my teens. More vegan restaurants and more vegan options at regular restaurants and grocery stores. But there are still a number of vegans who not only avoid animal foods but have a bunch of other things they don't eat either. I know it's a very personal thing and you never know what's someone's going through, but even though most people "fill out" the older they get, Ariana Grande gets thinner as time goes by, and she's a vegan. She's got a more petite build than me because she's several inches shorter, but I was actually a more naturally skinny teen than she was. I still can't imagine getting so skinny at around 30 without extreme measures. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 2

Those of you who eschew consuming animal products, please take a vitamin supplement for B12 (or eat a fortified cereal).  B12 is one of the essential nutrients that is only found naturally in animal products.

I almost never eat pork, rarely eat beef, but eat poultry and seafood fairly often.  I also have several meals per week that are vegetarian.  I couldn't be a vegan.  There are too many foods I simply don't like for me to eliminate entire categories!

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Those of you who eschew consuming animal products, please take a vitamin supplement for B12 (or eat a fortified cereal).  B12 is one of the essential nutrients that is only found naturally in animal products.

I almost never eat pork, rarely eat beef, but eat poultry and seafood fairly often.  I also have several meals per week that are vegetarian.  I couldn't be a vegan.  There are too many foods I simply don't like for me to eliminate entire categories!

You sound like me.  Since pork is the default meat in Cantonese cuisine, my dad would ask me why I turn pork down most of the time - especially when my husband doesn’t and has never kept kosher!   I tell him that I simply don’t want to eat it.  He doesn’t get it.  I’m now ignoring these comments. 

• Like 3