Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Playing With Fire

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Five newly minted pairs of fiancés arrive at a luxurious resort in Mexico, where things go swimmingly for some while others struggle to stay afloat.

Original airdate 3/24/23

13 hours ago, nichelle said:

Welp, I used to like Kwame.

Same. His conversation with Micah was inconsiderate on so many levels -- the fact that he agreed with Micah when she called Chelsea "a lot," their 20-minute (in Chelsea's words) private conversation. And during that conversation, he's stroking Micah's hand, she's caressing his face, they're touching each other's knees. Their body language really made it seem like they were a couple. 

Kwame and Micah were both disrespectful toward their current fiancees. 

I like Jackelina, although she seems a little on the immature side. Her crying spell was really strange, though. I understand worrying about your dysfunctional family and what Marshall's impression is going to be, but she was upset for a really long time. I wonder if it was more than that. I do feel bad that at 26 she doesn't have kids but has "so many people to take care of." Marshall was very supportive and understanding. 

It's confirmed. Irina is not feeling Zack. People keep calling him a weirdo. I don't find him weird. He's a little cerebral and quirky, but I wouldn't call him weird. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, topanga said:

It's confirmed. Irina is not feeling Zack. People keep calling him a weirdo. I don't find him weird. He's a little cerebral and quirky, but I wouldn't call him weird. 

Really? He gives me serial killer vibes. 

I just finished binge-watching. Random thoughts:

I would hate Micah and Irina IRL, but they are entertaining as hell on this train-wreck of a show. 

Jackelina is soooo pretty, and I love her personality. I felt so bad for her during her nervous breakdown. It sounds like she has a lot to deal with when she gets back home. I get that her man is not her type ordinarily, but I love that she's giving him an honest try. 

Really, Kwame? Ew. Micah is not even attractive to me, so I don't get it at all. I could tell that Chelsea was feeling him wayyyy more than he was feeling her since they met face-to-face, but still. His behavior was not a good look. 

Brett is so handsome, and Tiffany seems like an amazing person. They make a great match, and I'm rooting for them!

I was cracking up at the ladies' conversations about Zack. "Guilty!" "Jail immediately!"  BAHAHAH. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Micah and Irina seem more intent to be putting on performances as auditions for future dating shows rather than participating in the "experiment".  Considering the sound alone of Micah's voice I'm astounded that she attracted one, let alone two people on a show where that is all they had to go by.  Their particular brand of toxicity is kind of ruining it.  

• Like 17

Oh yeah! The best part of this episode was Bitchy Irina and Creepy Zack trying to one-up each other on who can be the most passive-aggressively hurtful while brushing their teeth 🤣. I was SCREAMING! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
On 3/26/2023 at 2:48 AM, Zima said:

Oh yeah! The best part of this episode was Bitchy Irina and Creepy Zack trying to one-up each other on who can be the most passive-aggressively hurtful while brushing their teeth 🤣. I was SCREAMING! 

Me too! I replayed it for my daughter because it was so hilarious. She kept trying to one up him. "I knew on day 3 this wasn't going to work" "well I knew as soon as I saw you!"  

And what was with her saying she didn't want to list the things about him that bothered her, but then saying he shaved his arms and legs. 

Zack is creepy, but Irina is just mean and spiteful. Doubt she, or Micah, will have guys lining up to date them after this. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
On 3/26/2023 at 8:48 AM, Zima said:

It was so entertaining, I can't remember the last time I saw something like that on reality tv. One of those moments where they mutually made each other look bad without a care in the world.

IRNA: IMO she was expecting a guy more attractive, even though she initially said she doesn't care about looks (i.e. a bunch of nonsense). Also I know it's not PC but her acne scars are really bad and although she hides it well she is visibly overweight — I don't see how she can be so discriminating on appearance towards a guy like Zack.

ZACK: IMO he immediately noticed her reaction when they first met, and that he wasn't physically her type. He tried hard, but I think if there was a red button to cancel at least one of them would have pressed it within 2 minutes of meeting.

They both are doomed. On or off the show.

Edited by William2021
  • Like 13
On 3/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, Zima said:

Micah is not even attractive to me, so I don't get it at all.

Micah is very attractive, IMO the most attractive/cute woman on this round without question. Actually on my netflix suggestions (curated, probably male curated) she shows up the most among the other women.

But it's always fascinating to read of differences.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
1 hour ago, William2021 said:

but I think if there was a red button to cancel at least one of them would have pressed it within 2 minutes of meeting.

Someone did this on Love is Blind Brazil, they did not make it past the 'meet' (she was a big girl, he was not going for it. His loss, she was a great catch!)

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
On 3/25/2023 at 5:49 PM, Zima said:

I was cracking up at the ladies' conversations about Zack. "Guilty!" "Jail immediately!"  BAHAHAH. 

I actually thought it was kind of Mean Girl.

5 hours ago, William2021 said:

IRNA: IMO she was expecting a guy more attractive, even though she initially said she doesn't care about looks (i.e. a bunch of nonsense). Also I know it's not PC but her acne scars are really bad and although she hides it well she is visibly overweight — I don't see how she can be so discriminating on appearance towards a guy like Zack.

I was stunned at that black contraption she was wearing, especially since when she was sitting by the waterside alone talking, it was fitting her in a very unflattering way.

• Like 10
7 hours ago, dingochick said:

I’m not trying to body-shame here, but Micah….please cover your butt! Damn! Also, these chicks need to learn how to wear dresses and shirts, what is with all the boobage hanging out??

The amount of semi-nudity on these shows always shocks me-- and not in a good way. But I do appreciate the relative body diversity. Not all of the women are stick-thin. And the men don't look like V-shred models with 1% body fat. But Brett's abs? Dayummnnn!

• Like 3
18 hours ago, jabRI said:

Someone did this on Love is Blind Brazil, they did not make it past the 'meet' (she was a big girl, he was not going for it. His loss, she was a great catch!)

That's funny. I didn't see it but I can understand.

It would be better if they discussed their physical appearances in the pods, but then that would defeat the purpose of the show.

Love is blind (if you never meet).

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Damn Micah with the revisionist history. Her being all, I was all in with you the whole time. Bitch, you broke up with him! She just doesn't want another girl to have what she broke up. She's very calculated in what she's doing. And reading between the lines of that pool conversation, her whole no matter what happens, she knows she's not marrying Paul and she's trying to keep Keane on the hook for after. 

• Like 14
On 3/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, William2021 said:

Right! She grew up with insecurities because of her acne, she clearly still has hang-ups because she definitely flaunts her body and uses in a way that suggest she needs that kind of validation to cover up that she might still be self conscious about her face, but even having gone thru all that she is a major superficial turd. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh, it was SO Mean girl.  They know nothing about him except for his demeanor and looks.  It was so harsh.

Not true. Pretty sure they all had to "date" him in the pods. 

• Like 1

Why do I get caught up on this silly show? Just some random thoughts:

I do not like Irina, she is a mean girl but I feel bad that she has to wear tons of foundation to bed to hide her skin. Her and Zach are a big no.

Paul seems nice but once in a while I get a skeeve vibe. Can't tell how he really feels about Micah.

Not sure I'm feelin' Kwame and Chelsea together. I don't know what her saw in Micah but he seems to be settling.

Marshall and Jackelina might have a chance.

Brett and Tiffany might be too good to be true but I like them.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, retired watcher said:

Why do I get caught up on this silly show? Just some random thoughts:

I do not like Irina, she is a mean girl but I feel bad that she has to wear tons of foundation to bed to hide her skin. Her and Zach are a big no.

Paul seems nice but once in a while I get a skeeve vibe. Can't tell how he really feels about Micah.

Not sure I'm feelin' Kwame and Chelsea together. I don't know what her saw in Micah but he seems to be settling.

Marshall and Jackelina might have a chance.

Brett and Tiffany might be too good to be true but I like them.

If I could pay $50 to never see the show I would. If i could pay $50 to see the show I would. Sums it up, they are very clever.

Irina: We all have skin issues, who on earth has truly flawless skin unless your parents soaked you in olive oil and salicylic until they released you to the wild at 21. She seems to have decided to use it as an excuse for all her unrelated behaviour. Idk a victim mentality.

Marshall and J: I had to google image them for reminder. They are so boring for the show, so yes you're right that have a chance.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Wow as soon as Irina saw him I knew this would die out quickly. What an awkward first meeting. Kwame is a jerk….Chelsea deserves better. 
Zack..shit childhood, stripper mother…sounds like the beginning of a Criminal Minds Episode.

Micha called Chelsea a lot? Didn’t she order the constipated faced minion to crawl around the kitchen and listen in on private conversations? She is awful. Kwame thinks she has a good heart? GTFO Micah and Irina asking for shots….Micah laying it on thick…she wants Kwame as a backup and he is too stupid and rude to see it

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2023 at 2:09 PM, William2021 said:

Micah is very attractive, IMO the most attractive/cute woman on this round without question. Actually on my netflix suggestions (curated, probably male curated) she shows up the most among the other women.

I don't find Micah attractive at all as a bisexual woman. I think she looks like a bulldog and she has generic plastic surgery face (fillers and lip injections plus terrible fake eyelashes). Were you the person who insisted during season 2 that Shayna was the most attractive and that she was the one who appeared in the Netflix queue because of that? Because my husband's recommendations at the time showed Deepti every time, then Raven mostly last season and sometimes Zanab, and now Jacky so it seems like, given you seem to like blondes and he prefers brunettes with "exotic" features, the algorithm based it on personal preference vs what men in general are preferring or any sort of viewer consensus. I think even among blondes, Chelsea is prettier than Micah. And then the personality difference. Kwame is awful.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:03 PM, William2021 said:

Irina: We all have skin issues, who on earth has truly flawless skin unless your parents soaked you in olive oil and salicylic until they released you to the wild at 21. She seems to have decided to use it as an excuse for all her unrelated behaviour. Idk a victim mentality.

I agree. Personally I'm lucky enough to have had no real skin issues in my life as a woman BUT I've had genetic dental issues and spent a lot of money on dental work and dental implants. We all have our things and they're not an excuse to be cruel and awful to people who've done nothing to deserve that.

Personally I don't understand why Irina of the truly awful personality thinks Zack is below her or why Zack is creepy (and I think lots of men on reality tv are creepy!) or why having a mom who would do anything to provide for her kid or shaving means he's a serial killer. His biggest flaw was seeing Irina's red flags and choosing denial instead of Bliss and being insecure because of his upbringing. Also, Zack and Paul (who looks like Cole from last season) are super similar to my perspective in appearance so it's hilarious to see her classify them totally differently. I think Paul is just more attractive because he's taken and she enjoys the competition of winning, even against her friend.

Love Tiffany and Brett.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
On 3/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, William2021 said:

It IS funny, b/c I find her chinless, and basic AF with way too much fake makeup on for daytime. But, Tiffany OTOH? so pretty and I tend to go for curvier women but, Chelsea's figure is fantastic. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

See, I knew Kwame was a POS.  He ignore his fiance and spends time with Irina holding her hand.  You don't go from sobbing your eyes out with your shoulders heaving over one woman and two days later you are all in love with another woman.  And Micah is a piece of work.  Talking about how she was all in,  doesn't she remember she broke up with him.  Chelsea deserves better.  He mad disrespected her. That was Jarette and Mallory turned up to level 10.

Irina and Zach are a trainwreck.  She does not want him in any form or shape.  I think he doesn't quite want her either but I felt like since he threw over Bliss he felt he had to make this work.  Also I hate to say, but she did not look at all attractive in that black outfit.  Her tits were hanging below the bra cups and not in a good way.  It was ill fitted and incredibly unattractive.   She also has such a mean resting face.  She just looks like she is scheming and mean every moment. 

Jackie you are crying in a closet, how are you gonna judge someone as a weirdo?  Also you are boring and two-faced. Next.

Tiffany and Brett as just heart-eyes.  I love them!  I hope they make it!

I am gonna make predictions:

Brett and Tiffany = Hell yes, married

Irina and Zach = hell no, not married

Micah and Paul = I am going with not married. He seemed to be having second thoughts.

Jackie and Marshall =not sure... she seems volatile.  I am gonna go with.... not married?

Kwame and Chelsea = not married.  He is gonna screw it up somehow.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 3/25/2023 at 8:54 PM, nomodrama said:

100% agree.

Ugh Kwame, I feel like Tyra right now, "I was rooting for you."

On 3/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, Zima said:

Not for long.  Their initial dates are pretty short, and then they rank people they'd like to meet again.  Awkward people are going to struggle more in that environment than smooth talkers.  And I'll admit, I thought Zach's opening gambit was pretty strange that I don't know if I would have given him a second date even though he has grown on me. 

But once they get to Mexico, sometimes there are people in other couples, like Micah and Kwame, who had many dates together.  Most were probably one or two and done.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:59 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

Zack..shit childhood, stripper mother…sounds like the beginning of a Criminal Minds Episode.

Ha!  I could buy the argument that he's just quirky. I can also see the argument that he could be a serial killer.  He fits both profiles.

Micha called Chelsea a lot? Didn’t she order the constipated faced minion to crawl around the kitchen and listen in on private conversations? She is awful. Kwame thinks she has a good heart? GTFO Micah and Irina asking for shots….Micah laying it on thick…she wants Kwame as a backup and he is too stupid and rude to see it

That's what gets me the most.  I could possibly forgive Kwame for having lingering feelings he needs to find closure on. I'd find it more difficult to forgive him to be too idiotic to see her blatant attempts at a power play. She didn't want him or she'd have him.  But she definitely wants the group to know that she could still have him even though he's engaged to someone else.

Irina's doing the flirting thing too. 

I think only one couple had sex the first night or two. I feel like that's a record low.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought Zach's opening gambit was pretty strange that I don't know if I would have given him a second date even though he has grown on me. 

You mean the stripper jokes? I think it started off well for him but the follow through was terrible and the back story invites pity.

He is definitely awkward and quirky, which is also reflected in his physical appearance.

I think he was trying to go for that quirky serial killer vibe (netflix shows like You and ted bunny and so on that seems to be very trendy) that some women seem oddly attracted to. But he does not pull this image off at all.

Edited by William2021
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 3/29/2023 at 3:54 PM, Zima said:

Okay, they "Dated" him in the pods and as soon as they were all released and saw his looks and demeanour, they ran squealing from him because they suddenly think he's a freak.  I hope that explains it better.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 10:35 AM, evansmom10 said:

It IS funny, b/c I find her chinless, and basic AF with way too much fake makeup on for daytime. But, Tiffany OTOH? so pretty and I tend to go for curvier women but, Chelsea's figure is fantastic. 

Micah looks like one of the English or Australian MAFS insta babes.  Over tanned, too much makeup….surprised no worm lips involved.  Irina is just not a nice person and she needed to leave the underboob top at home or on Shein.  I hope she and Micah have a falling out over Paul? They would both deserve it.

Edited by For Cereals
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

Micah looks like one of the English or Australian MAFS insta babes.  Over tanned, too much makeup….surprised no worm lips involved.

Tell me more about worm lips ... do they involve real worms???

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Mercolleen said:

Tell me more about worm lips ... do they involve real worms???

LOL no!  The lip injections that end up looking like earthworms have been implanted in the lips.  Not the duck lips.

• LOL 2

WTF did Micah say?!?!! HOW DARE SHE!!! He was right to call her on it right then. That was messed up. He should've taken those true colors, shut it down & left her alone. Cue the inappropriately long chat. 😬🤣

• Like 1

I am just binging this show now that it is over, peer pressure got me.

Irina could not have looked less into Zack, the guy she said she loves, she does love the ring tho, it looked uncomfortable and forced.

Paul and the blonde girl, she says the word, "like," waaaay too much.

Chelsea and Kwame are cute together.

Micah and Paul, I am not giving them much of a chance of making it down the aisle, 

I like Jackelina but I am unsure if I like Marshall for her, he is a nice guy but she may be too "fast" for him.

Brett seems like a very nice guy, Tiffany seems like a good match for him and visa versa.

My question is since we did not see all the conversations between the participants how do they really know they love each other without having real life situations to deal with?  Do they all live in the same general area?

I do not remember seeing the other people's pod dating, like these other people are milling around in the background of the lounges but then they just vanished, what happened?

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My question is since we did not see all the conversations between the participants how do they really know they love each other without having real life situations to deal with?  Do they all live in the same general area?

I do not remember seeing the other people's pod dating, like these other people are milling around in the background of the lounges but then they just vanished, what happened?

To answer your questions but not in the order you ask them.

Do they live in the same general area?  Yes, for the most part, they do.  That's what makes this show unique.  Instead of pulling people from all around the country each season, they fill their cast with people from the same area.  Season 1 was in Atlanta, 2 in Chicago, 3 in Houston, and this one in Seattle.  So they're either in the city or close enough.

How do they know they really love each other without real-life situations to deal with?  After the pods, they go to Mexico and then they move in with one another for about a month before the wedding.  So there's not much "real-life" time but there is a little bit of living together.  But mostly, they just have to take the leap.

As for where everyone goes:  They start out going on a date with everyone on the other side of the wall.  Then everyone ranks and writes down people they'd like to see again.  If there's a match, more dates are set up and they get longer as participants meet with fewer and fewer people. Once a participant doesn't have someone they're interested in that's also interested in them, they're asked to leave the pods. No point in hanging around if they have no dates. Producers look at the people who choose to get engaged and decide who to follow and who goes to Mexico.  There have been people who get engaged that don't make the show.

• Useful 2

In the Zach vs Irina debate, I actually think Zach is the more attractive of the two and thought he was being very gracious about telling her she was beautiful and validating her.  From the very start (not willing to kiss him at their first meet) it was clear that she was not into him--and I'm not suggesting that she should be--but she has been really awful about letting him know that and not giving him any grace at all.   She flipped him off when he said she looked like Megan Fox??  She wishes.  I think they're both dealing with a lot of personal insecurities and the further they take this, the more of a disaster it will become.  I think she agreed to continue because she wants to be on tv and I think he chose her because he thinks he deserves to be treated like shit.  He recognized that she was mean before picking her and in this ep revealed that he thought she was controlling.  Sounds like he knew what he was getting into.  In my opinion, he dumped Bliss because he thought she was too good for him and didn't provide the right kind of challenge.

I can't see Micah without thinking about SpongeBob, her head is just so square it's distracting.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3