Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/13/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, March 13 — Women’s History Month with Megan Piphus Peace and “Sesame Street”’s Gabrielle

Tuesday, March 14 — Paris Hilton (“Paris: the Memoir”)

Wednesday, March 15 — Christina Ricci (“Yellowjackets”); Ally Love (“Dance 100”)

Thursday, March 16 — Hugh Grant (“Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves”)

Friday, March 17 — Nicholas Braun (“Succession”)

• Thanks 1

I agree with Ana: I wouldn’t be so upset about Angela losing the Oscar if she’d won it for What’s Love Got to Do With It years ago. I just looked it up, and she lost to Holly Hunter?! No offense to Holly and I’m sure she was great in The Piano but seriously?

Of course I would still feel annoyed because Stephanie Hsu had much more going on in EEAO than JLC.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 7
33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree with Ana: I wouldn’t be so upset about Angela losing the Oscar if she’d won it for What’s Love Got to Do With It years ago. I just looked it up, and she lost to Holly Hunter?! No offense to Holly and I’m sure she was great in The Piano but seriously?

Holly H was fantastic in The Piano. Hard choice. Angela Bassett’s dress was my fav last night.

I have to agree with Alyssa that it seems as if Kamala Harris is sort of being set up for failure. Even Sunny couldn’t name a single thing offhand that KH could be credited for. Certainly she’s doing a lot but she’s been rendered invisible, not getting any media coverage of her work. Because she’s female?  Because she’s a person of color?  Because Biden doesn’t want to share the spotlight?  I don’t know.

Oh, bummer. I wish the panel had interviewed Megan the puppeteer rather than the puppet.  Guess selling hand lotions and makeup was more important. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Holly H was fantastic in The Piano. Hard choice. Angela Bassett’s dress was my fav last night.

I have to agree with Alyssa that it seems as if Kamala Harris is sort of being set up for failure. Even Sunny couldn’t name a single thing offhand that KH could be credited for. Certainly she’s doing a lot but she’s been rendered invisible, not getting any media coverage of her work. Because she’s female?  Because she’s a person of color?  Because Biden doesn’t want to share the spotlight?  I don’t know. 

Or maybe just because she's VP, they never seem to do much or get credit no matter who they are.

• Like 8

John Adams, our first Veep, considered the position the most “insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived.”  He served 8 years in that “useless” job, then became Prez.  Kamala may laugh 😆 last.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Of course I would still feel annoyed because Stephanie Hsu had much more going on in EEAO than JLC.

Holly Hunter was playing a mute that was passive, restrained, and not at all like who she is in real life.  And she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in The Firm that year as well.. in a role vastly different then the one in The Piano.  

And Vice President is basically a back-up to the president.. sort of like a 1st runner up to Miss America.  

• Like 6

The show is kind of a mess today. Lots of misinformation. (Nothing important, but it bugs me when they get facts wrong.)

Don't care about Paris Hilton at all but that’s a cute dress. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The show is kind of a mess today. Lots of misinformation. (Nothing important, but it bugs me when they get facts wrong.)

Don't care about Paris Hilton at all but that’s a cute dress. 

This is  one of the most painful interviews I've ever seen.  Paris Hilton is so wooden - it's like talking to a photograph.  

But, yes - that's a gorgeous dress.

Edited to add - at least it seems like she has genuine love for her husband and son.  Her face lit up when speaking of them both.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 6

I wish the time that Paris 🙄received was given to Megan Piphus Peace yesterday.  What was briefly introduced about Megan before her puppet took over was enough for me to google her name.  What she has accomplished as a young woman is exceptional and would be a far better story for the month of March honoring women.   Again, Paris HIlton, really?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

This is  one of the most painful interviews I've ever seen.  Paris Hilton is so wooden - it's like talking to a photograph.  

But, yes - that's a gorgeous dress.

Edited to add - at least it seems like she has genuine love for her husband and son.  Her face lit up when speaking of them both.

I think she spent so many years murmuring, “that’s hot”, to be genuine. 

• LOL 5

Wondering how D.C. continues to (almost) function, now that Alyssa has departed.  Seems like she worked in so-o-o many departments, knew abs everyone, and now says that Pence was her former boss (one of many, apparently.)

With so much going on this week (SV & Signature bank failures, last prez  moving closer to possible indictment, flooding in California, etc., woulda preferred more hot topics rather than stooopid manufactured discussion re someone’s friends (?) charging for dinner Chez Them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, flummoxd said:

Wondering how D.C. continues to (almost) function, now that Alyssa has departed.  Seems like she worked in so-o-o many departments, knew abs everyone, and now says that Pence was her former boss (one of many, apparently.)

With so much going on this week (SV & Signature bank failures, last prez  moving closer to possible indictment, flooding in California, etc., woulda preferred more hot topics rather than stooopid manufactured discussion re someone’s friends (?) charging for dinner Chez Them.

yeah, are they not allowed to change what they discuss if there is something actually important going on

if i wanted to watch those kinds of discussions i will watch something else

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

not sure what misinformation there was

• Like 2

Sara's orange dress today was simply awful.  The color, the style, everything.  It did her no favors.

I've never followed Paris Hilton.  She does seem to genuinely love her husband and her baby, but her story about being in the abusive school(s) seems off to me.  So her parents never visited her in person, she had no opportunity to talk to them other than on the telephone, which was monitored?  What kind of parent allows that? I'm not saying she is not saying the truth, I just can't understand. Has this kind of thing been going on at these so-called schools and I have just never heard of it?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Sara's orange dress today was simply awful.  The color, the style, everything.  It did her no favors.

I've never followed Paris Hilton.  She does seem to genuinely love her husband and her baby, but her story about being in the abusive school(s) seems off to me.  So her parents never visited her in person, she had no opportunity to talk to them other than on the telephone, which was monitored?  What kind of parent allows that? I'm not saying she is not saying the truth, I just can't understand. Has this kind of thing been going on at these so-called schools and I have just never heard of it?

I totally agree about Sara's unflattering dress today.

To answer your questions about Paris - I will preface this to say that I am Real Housewives watcher, especially Beverly Hills.  Kathy Hilton, Paris' Mom, is a sometimes housewife (more commonly referred to as a "friend of").  

Anyway, due to that, I read a tell-all book about the Hiltons (House of Hilton), written almost 20 years ago.  In that book, Paris' parents (especially her Mom) were described as being big party people who didn't really have a lot of interactions with their kids (Paris has a sister and two brothers).  The book also said that when Paris was a young teen, she was basically left to her own devices, living in the Waldorf-Astoria and got into trouble constantly.  Her Mom and Dad, although out partying and socializing all the time, were also pretty conservative and strait-laced.  They arranged for her to go to a "behavior modification" school somewhere in the midwest.  Twenty-five years or so ago, those schools did pretty much exactly what Paris explained.  They came to your home in the middle of the night and basically "kidnapped" you out of your home with parental consent.  The schools were high-discipline (corporal punishment included) and basically a high tuition reform school sort of situation for kids who were seemingly high risk for serious trouble.  Phone calls were allowed, but family visits were few and far between.**  Besides that, based on the book, I think that Kathy and Rick Hilton had kind of washed their hands of their "troubled" daughter at that point, and couldn't be bothered.   Frankly, I think that Paris was not one of those kids, she was a rich, spoiled, kid looking for some type of attention from her neglectful parents because she still acted out inappropriately after leaving that "school".

Paris was a very rich kid, with very few boundaries and lots of freedom.  The Hilton's are one really messed up family (and Paris' Mom's family was also very messed up).  

I am surprised that Paris has forgiven her Mom for everything that she experienced at that time.  But, if she is advocating for the exposure and closure of these type of schools, then she's finally grown up and doing something for the good of others.  

She still seems like a vapid, spoiled brat to me, and I got the feeling that Joy wasn't overly impressed with her either.  

**I know all of this, because I, unfortunately, know of several kids who were sent to these schools in the late nineties/early 2000's, and they came back more screwed up than before they were sent away, i.e., drug/substance abuse issues, legal issues, depression, etc. These kids had issues that the parents just didn't want to deal with (much like the Hiltons') because they were just as screwed up as their kids.  People with a lot of money and too much time, but too selfish to give any of their time to the familes they had.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6

Sunny had me confused talking about Pence and the harmful policies he enacted in Indiana.  She said she was in South Bend at Notre Dame where she attended law school.  Pence wasn't governor until 2013 many years after Sunny graduated.  She said she marched with LGTBQ members and supporters against those policies so maybe she came back to do that?

• Like 3

That was just one of the things I meant yesterday about misinformation. Sara mentioned the HIV outbreak was in southern IN (it was) and Sunny interrupted her by saying South Bend (it wasn’t).  Plus there was the whole thing about DST being for kids going to school. Um, what?  DST makes it darker in the morning, lighter in the evening. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Re Paris Hilton - she may appear somewhat “off” at least in part because she has ADHD, which can affect communication style as well as attention/hyperactivity, and may also combine with other learning issues. “As shown on TV,” her mother (if not also her father, who at least has the sense to stay out of the public eye) seems to be defensive, apparently quite uncaring, and lacking in understanding of the severe mistreatment Paris claims to have endured for several years as a teen. (And I def recall an an old, “60 Minutes “ type expose’ of behavioral residential camps/schools for wayward teens.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Maketh my blood to boil when Alyssa suddenly sits up straight, nodding affirmatively, with an expression of restrained outrage, when Whoopi spoke of the 7/25/2019 “perfect” phone call between the last prez. and Zelensky. Whether it was a bribe, blackmail, or a mobster-style shakedown, our last leader asked the embattled Ukrainian for smears on the Bidens in exchange for US military aid.  And now, years and thousands of war deaths later, Ms Griffith is just appalled!  She worked for the last administration until 12/3/20. I really hate the way The View enables her rehab.

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Paris was a very rich kid, with very few boundaries and lots of freedom.  The Hilton's are one really messed up family (and Paris' Mom's family was also very messed up).  

I am surprised that Paris has forgiven her Mom for everything that she experienced at that time.  But, if she is advocating for the exposure and closure of these type of schools, then she's finally grown up and doing something for the good of others.  

I thought it was very strange she didn't tell her mom until a week after her baby was born that she was even expecting a baby (via surrogate).   But hearing this background, I get it now.   

• Like 7

Whoopi used the word “g*****” (sp?) today to describe how the MAGA crowd feels about the 2020 election results.  I’m surprised they didn’t make her apologize for that after the commercial break . . .

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought Sara and Alyssa were much worse yesterday, you could tell Sara only defended Pence because he was Alyssa's former boss. This is why they shouldn't have co-hosts so interconnected with the topics they discuss, there are conflicts of interest in what they will / won't talk about and how they'll talk about them.

I thought today was decent, but maybe just in comparison to the rest of the week. I always skim through Joy-less Monday's, really only stop for Ana and Sunny, but even with yesterday's show, I just FFed straight through Paris Hilton. I can't believe they devoted two segments to her.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Ally Love was a good guest, but why was her serious childhood accident something she felt she had to keep hidden?  It’s interesting and inspiring to know that she magnificently overcame her injury, and obvs helps counter the impression that all was “handed” to her, which she so deeply resents.

27 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Whoopi's explanation is that there are terms that were ok when she was younger and it's hard to break that habit. Will she give the same benefit of the doubt to other "older" people who use terms that were ok decades ago?

Also, why were her co-hosts not shocked and offended when she used this term, since they seem very attuned to currently offensive language? Perhaps they didn't consider it that derogatory either? 

• Like 4

I’m not quite her age yet, and remember hearing (and using) that term often as a child.  But then I learned the origin of the word and would never use it as an adult.  I’m tired of her “slips” and explanations.  Do better Ms. EGOT!  Or take your gas and talking with food in your mouth off my TV screen.  That’s another thing I can’t believe they let her get away with constantly.  Unless she has a medical condition that requires her to eat on air, eat in your dressing room or during breaks, as the other hosts seem to do!!! 

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Whoopi's explanation is that there are terms that were ok when she was younger and it's hard to break that habit. Will she give the same benefit of the doubt to other "older" people who use terms that were ok decades ago?

Also, why were her co-hosts not shocked and offended when she used this term, since they seem very attuned to currently offensive language? Perhaps they didn't consider it that derogatory either? 

Also, why were her YOUNGER co-hosts not shocked...      It's because the groups who would be offended don't have much in the way of organizations, public relations people, lobbyists, etc.   We can't learn if we're not notified...still, I'm 82 and have known for several years not to use that term. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, After7Only said:

I thought it was very strange she didn't tell her mom until a week after her baby was born that she was even expecting a baby (via surrogate).

AH!  Now it makes sense.  I don't read enough "cultural" literature to know everything going on.  I was happy to hear she had a baby.  I didn't know anything else.  When?  She didn't tell her mother?  How does one keep THAT a secret?  AH! SURROGATE!

Thank you, After7Only.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:
2 hours ago, Axie said:

I’m Whoopie’s age and I had no idea that that word is now offensive.

same here.  never knew where it came from but it was commonly used 

Agreed. I learned of the source of the term on the tv show House when Hugh Laurie’s character was trying to distract a patient’s family with their predicted reaction to the term. I felt enlightened at the time but if I had not seen that episode I still would not know. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sunny interrupted her by saying South Bend (it wasn’t)

Sunny spent four years in her little microcosm: that Indiana town of 106,000 people in 1990.  As a comparison, Indianapolis had 733,000. I doubt if Sunny knew anything about Indiana.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

She said she marched with LGTBQ members and supporters against those policies so maybe she came back to do that?

Sunny says a lot of things without considering that some people actually check facts.   "And here's a legal note.....

4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Also, why were her YOUNGER co-hosts not shocked...      It's because the groups who would be offended don't have much in the way of organizations, public relations people, lobbyists, etc.   We can't learn if we're not notified...still, I'm 82 and have known for several years not to use that term. 

Even if they did call her on it on-air, I doubt Whoopi would immediately acknowledge any wrongdoing. She'd probably just lecture them/us that there are terms she uses without any ill intention and people just need to accept that. Of course then she'd awkwardly lead us into a commercial with a disgusted and annoyed look on her face. During the commercial Brian would be told, by a harried associate producer, that it truly is a problematic word and he'd have to gently cajole her into apologizing when they're back on air. Of course her apology would be said whilst sucking on a gum drop, or whatever the heck she always has in her mouth. 

4 hours ago, Glitches said:

Agreed. I learned of the source of the term on the tv show House when Hugh Laurie’s character was trying to distract a patient’s family with their predicted reaction to the term. I felt enlightened at the time but if I had not seen that episode I still would not know. 

But that would have been over ten years ago! Whoopi had all that time....

(Unless you streamed it recently, of course) 

• Wink 1
11 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I was hoping they would ask Hugh Grant about all the drag he got from the interview he did pre Oscar’s with Ashley Graham. They didn’t. I thought his perspective would have been interesting. 

Yea, I figured they would just ignore that story about Hugh Grant

I love Chastain Buttigieg...what a good interview...

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Of course her apology would be said whilst sucking on a gum drop, or whatever the heck she always has in her mouth. 

And THAT'S being generous!  I think it's always food and "few" dare to explain how rude she is.  Still...she doesn't care.  She's rewarded in too many ways for all of her opinions and behaviors.  It's SO NICE when a "professional" is our moderator once a week.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I was hoping they would ask Hugh Grant about all the drag he got from the interview he did pre Oscar’s with Ashley Graham. They didn’t. I thought his perspective would have been interesting. 

It sucked that they didn't bring that up.  Thanks for letting me know. Now I can skip the rest of the interview. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I enjoy Hugh Grant but he always seems to be performing. 

I get how some people might find Hugh Grant's humor off-putting, but I think he's hilarious! 

He doesn't take himself too seriously and his jokes shouldn't be taken seriously either. If people (Ashley Graham) aren't familiar with his humor, they will think he's being rude, but he's just being funny. Ashley didn't play along, she was trying hard not to stray from her very serious but temporary role of E! News correspondent. 

"I only wanted to kiss three of you..." 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I get how some people might find Hugh Grant's humor off-putting, but I think he's hilarious! 

HG is hilarious...and AG was asking the dumbest questions.  I'm so glad the panelists didn't bring it up, now I'll watch it when I get home.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

HG is hilarious...and AG was asking the dumbest questions.

When I first heard about it they left out the questions she asked him.  So I initially thought he might have actually been in the wrong. But once I heard the interview I thought oh Jesus. She really didn't know what he was talking about.  He said Vanity Fair meaning the novel and she thought he meant the Oscar's Vanity Fair afterparty.  

I've always liked Hugh Grant.  I will never forget him going on the Tonight Show after being caught with a hooker and Jay Leno asking him What were you thinking? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Hugh Grant is a graduate (& scholarship recipient, per online info) of Oxford University, so of course he’d reference Thackeray - and of course Ms Graham, a model, would assume he meant the mag’s party.  Talk about a mismatch.  Not to pile on, but I also disliked her Oscar interview outfit - so tired of the panty display.

• Like 8
On 3/16/2023 at 8:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the word was offensive. I use it all the time when I think I've been cheated, be it as a consumer or something else. And I also didn't know the origins of the word.

I had no idea it was offensive either. I'll be sure to use cheated or shortchanged or something else now. 

• Like 4