Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Two Hundred Dollars and a Bus Pass

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

When a case that hits close to home comes across Will’s desk, he discovers there is more to the incident than meets the eye. Meanwhile, Angie and Ormewood investigate a murdered magician while uncovering some extra tricks that had been up his sleeve.

Air date: 2.28.23

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I liked that it alluded to the origins of Will and Amanda’s relationship as well. 

me too. I would love to know how Will became a cop especially with his dyslexia.

Even though I guessed that Darla was the killer I was still engaged.  Loved the case that Ange and Ornwood had.  

• Like 14

The scene where Will is vowing to find out what happened to the young woman, and it was like she was there in the room with him was very moving. 

I liked the final scene so much, with Will and Angie and Betty and Nico are all having dinner together. My concern is that something terrible is going to happen to destroy this happy group. 😟

• Like 14

I want Angie's plaid jacket. I always like Faith's sweaters. I don't know why I notice, even. Most shows I can't even remember what anybody was wearing. But this show makes me think about the characters more deeply even than the plots. It's amazing, because a lot happens in the plots, and I'm engaged and having to pay attention to follow the plots, too.

• Like 10

I wasn't sure about Darla as the killer for a moment but I did enjoy the epi.  Both cases were "engaging" if you can say that about murders and it was nice getting a little more info on Will and Amanda and that the show didn't make a big deal out of it.  I'm also in for more of the cute doctor.

• Like 9

While I realize this is a super serious network drama, I would totally be on board if they wanted to do more silly cases like the magician. I liked the contrast between the two cases.  

• Like 16
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I want Angie's plaid jacket.

You can search for items worn on tv by actors.  I would like to know what is on the disk necklace she wears.  All I could find online was the shorter paperclip necklace.  I liked it when when they were talking about online spending sprees, and Angie said her weakness was for jewelry. Me, too!

• Like 4

Another really good episode, I thought both cases of the week were really strong. While one was serious and one was silly, both of them were well thought out and engaging, the two vibes complimented each other. We had lots of great character moments, its impressive how much they have done to make me care about these characters and understand them in a pretty quick amount of time. 

Will's sympathy for the murdered former foster kid was sweet, even if it didn't always make him adjective, I thought the scenes where he imagined seeing her as he talked about her case to be really affecting. I guessed that it was Darla pretty quickly, but they zipped around enough times to make me think that I was wrong before confirming it. We also got a tantalizing hint at Will and Amanda's backstory! 

The magician plot was really funny, I loved the one cop saying that he just doesn't want to talk about this case anymore when they were wrapping things up, like he was embarrassed to be anywhere near it.

The ending dinner party was so cute, so cute that it makes me nervous that something bad is about to happen. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

While I realize this is a super serious network drama, I would totally be on board if they wanted to do more silly cases like the magician. I liked the contrast between the two cases.  

I am known for my dark sense of humour, but even though the show went out of its way to make the victim a despicable, almost cartoonish villain, I was surprisingly put off by how they laughed while watching his actual murder. When Angie kept saying how they're terrible people, I was like, "yeah kinda." Am I getting too old for this shit lol?

• Like 2

Far-hottie. Hee! I love that Will has a silly side to him. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more Faith and Farhad- he is hot! And seems sweet. They better not make him a killer in a future episode. 
The other case was hilarious. Loved the interrogation scenes, and all the funny one liners (cloudy eyes of hers, finding pizza, etc.). I love this show!

• Like 9
  • Love 4

I'm so excited they brought the doctor back! I thought he had given Faith a look of interest; I'm glad I wasn't imagining that. He and Faith are both beautiful people, so I look forward to seeing them together. I was kind of disappointed we didn't see them on a date at the end, but the dinner at Will's house was a nice cap for the episode.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The magician plot was really funny, I loved the one cop saying that he just doesn't want to talk about this case anymore when they were wrapping things up, like he was embarrassed to be anywhere near it.

I thought he said that because, as a boss, he shouldn't be involved in any betting related to a case. It is unethical, though funny in this case, so it's best if he not know the details so he can have deniability (yes, I've been listening to Hamilton).

• Like 8

Another good episode.  And I actually liked the Ormewood and Angie case this week.  I find it interesting that their cases still tend to be on the lighter side (comparative to Will and Faith). 

I liked the conceit of using Allison as some sort angel on Will's shoulder giving him his insight about her in her voice.  It went nicely with the 'you are seen, you are heard' epitaph Will and Angie gave her in the end.

I am so happy Darla was the killer because I disliked Darla.  She immediately rubbed me wrong.  Her lamentation of it not being 'fair' rubbed me wrong.  Come on! you murdered someone who lived the very definition of unfair. 

Tv professor offices kill me.  That Dr. Tilda was in an office that looked like the study of some country squire.  No way, a non-tenured professor would have that sort of office real estate.  That is President/Provost level of office.

34 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm so excited they brought the doctor back! I thought he had given Faith a look of interest; I'm glad I wasn't imagining that. He and Faith are both beautiful people, so I look forward to seeing them together.

Oh my yes.  Me too.  I remember when he first appeared in that episode and Faith did her word vomit thing, I thought I saw something but then waved it off, dismissing him as a one-and done guest spot.  But so happy he is back and that both he and Faith have no swag whatsoever. And Will teasing her about it "If you don't use it you lose it." Ha!

And yay to getting some info on Amanda and Will.  I was hoping to get some insight given her reaction to his kidnapping.  So she's known him since he was 19.  Ok.  Tell me more!

• Like 10
  • Love 3
(edited)

Faith better hook up with that hot doctor, even if it's just a fling. It's okay to have fun.  Her son is a young adult now. It was hilarious that the entire murder of the magician was caught on camera because it rarely happens. lol That case was more light hearted compared to Will and Faith's case. Both worked well in the episode. I don't know how many episodes are left?  

Edited by Simba122504
  • Like 10
(edited)

A heartwarming case for Will and Faith. But the magician case is kinda blah.

Wow Nico, stop being so fussy about foods, just appreciate a good home-cooked meal, will ya!

Faith has a strong personality while the doctor is the total opposite of her. Will is going to have good times making fun of their clashed personalities.

"She's wide open...”

😂😂😂

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Shallow moment: Faith's black and white knitted top was my idea of sweater perfection and was great with the light green undershirt. Amanda and Faith's clothes are all so classic and beautiful.

Okay, back to our show: Wow - what a great set of two very different criminal investigations and yet the thread of the evolving relationships in this odd set of disparate personalities winds in and out seamlessly. Really enjoyable.

I think its time to move on a bit from the foster child thing as not to beat the same drum too often. But maybe that is just me...I just think Will's amazing perception doesn't depend on that connection, as evidenced by previous cases, so anyways...

• Like 8
13 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm so excited they brought the doctor back!

Heh. Until I read your next sentence, I thought you were talking about the medical examiner. I love them both though so I was glad to see them getting to interact with our main two. Will and Faith each have a new doctor friend. I especially love that Faith's guy is ok with her inability to stop talking. I was worried he'd end up taking back his invite after she finished babbling about her son.

9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Wow Nico, stop being so fussy about foods, just appreciate a good home-cooked meal, will ya!

I felt for them with the potatoes. I'm a ridiculous wimp and I almost had to go get a glass of milk just from Will listing what he'd added. I might not have complained but I wouldn't have been able to eat them either. I thought Angie was very nice about it.

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

Most shows I can't even remember what anybody was wearing.

Do we need a separate fashion thread here? I'm a knitter and have definitely thought about looking for patterns to some of Faith's vests (despite how bad vests look on me. I think I'd need to add sleeves).

21 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

it was nice getting a little more info on Will and Amanda and that the show didn't make a big deal out of it.

I know it's probably better to explain their history little by little but I want a flashback episode with the 2 of them right now. I want to see the young Will from last week dealing with Amanda who must have seemed super scary to him back then.

• Like 5

I just can't warm up to Nico. 

First, you do NOT hold the dog over the dinner table.  Betty is an inside/outside dog, and with Will being such a neat freak it STUNS me they just pass her from hands to hands without WASHING THEM!  So ick for me.  

I liked the words from Angie about Allison.  The recognition that a single moment can change your life in a heartbeat.

Love Faith with Dr. Far-hottie.  She NEEDS to jump on that asap.  So cute.  

I saw her Black/Rust/Cream vest in an ad somewhere (I'm obsessed with TV knits), so it will show up on popular retail sites soon if it's not already being sold. 

Angie & Ormewood seem to be relaxing into a solid friendship that's letting them lose the self-consciousness of their previous screwing around.  I'm glad for that.  I'm getting to like him.  

• Like 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, akg said:

Heh. Until I read your next sentence, I thought you were talking about the medical examiner. I love them both though so I was glad to see them getting to interact with our main two.

Oh, yes, I like the medical examiner, too! He has a good rapport with Will. He has a good balance of giving space for Will's talents and quirks while also asserting himself as an expert. I could easily see another ME getting annoyed that Will was overstepping.

First, you do NOT hold the dog over the dinner table.  Betty is an inside/outside dog, and with Will being such a neat freak it STUNS me they just pass her from hands to hands without WASHING THEM!  So ick for me.  

Me too @SnapHappy

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 4
(edited)

I don’t know- I’m a germ freak but I pet my dog while I’m eating. I do wash my hands if I’m giving him a treat or play with his toy if I’m going back to my meal.  Maybe I’m used to the animal dander everywhere so it no longer bothers me. Life of a pet owner.

I forgot about the other doctor, the medical examiner, and I agree with you guys that he’s an enjoyable character. I also loved that we sort of know why Amanda is so protective over Will and was freaking out when he was missing last week. She probably thinks of him as a son.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 8

Something I thought was weird is that they never mentioned the pile of cement blocks next to Allison's porch. We got a pretty clear shot of them when the window guy was seizing and I kept waiting for someone to mention them in connection to the "suicide". Were they meant to be a red herring? Was it a coincidence when they picked a location to film? Darla didn't have any links to the house, right?

• Like 5

I think it was just an old house that was a bit rundown. People use cinder blocks like that to mark flowerbeds, to prop up sagging porches, to reinforce old foundations when a house has a crawl space. At least they do in the south. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

True, but a cinder block was used to weigh down Alison's body, and Will mentioned that if this was indeed suicide, that she'd have had to carry it all that way.  Then at the house, they seemed to linger a moment on the cinder blocks on the ground.  Then nothing.  Red herring, then.  But still a bit odd to include all that and not even mention it later.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Orbert said:

True, but a cinder block was used to weigh down Alison's body, and Will mentioned that if this was indeed suicide, that she'd have had to carry it all that way.  Then at the house, they seemed to linger a moment on the cinder blocks on the ground.  Then nothing.  Red herring, then.  But still a bit odd to include all that and not even mention it later.

Wonder if there were episode length issues?

That said, I was worried when the show was announced since books are often Ed screwed up in the transition (e.g., Jack Reacher…the movies.  The series is good), but they seem to have made the kind of changes necessary for the medium change and not just randomly.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

I think it was just an old house that was a bit rundown. People use cinder blocks like that to mark flowerbeds, to prop up sagging porches, to reinforce old foundations when a house has a crawl space. At least they do in the south. 

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought anything of the blocks if one hadn't been important in the murder method. I'm guessing they were mentioned in the script and it had to be cut for time.

Do we think they'll cast a new actress for young Amanda when they do flashbacks of her early relationships with Will and Faith (both of which I really want to see now)? I love current Amanda so I'll always want more screen time for her but the casting department did such an amazing job with teenage Will and Angie that I think I'd like to see who they get for the rest of the cast.

• Like 2

I've read all of the Will Trent books and I love them.  But I have a couple of nits to pick with the series so far:

1) Amanda - I get that she's playing a character that is intense, but can the actor please s-l-o-w down her words?  She talks so fast I miss most of what she is saying.

2) I'm re-watching the Lincoln Lawyer series (which I've read them too) and the difference between these two shows is HUGE - in that the Lincoln Lawyer series is based on one novel for the entire season.  Will Trent season is one novel per episode, which causes a great deal of rushing and skipped over parts.  And those parts are so good together.  I feel like we're missing a lot of getting from A to B.

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, akg said:

Something I thought was weird is that they never mentioned the pile of cement blocks next to Allison's porch. We got a pretty clear shot of them when the window guy was seizing and I kept waiting for someone to mention them in connection to the "suicide". Were they meant to be a red herring? Was it a coincidence when they picked a location to film? Darla didn't have any links to the house, right?

I was thinking that people might stand on the cinder blocks to help them reach the window when they came to buy drugs.

This has quietly become one of my favorite TV shows. I like everyone. I even liked Ormewood. The cast is gelling together well. 

Faith was too cute with Dr. Far-Hottie and I love that Will is the one who has given him that nickname.

Will was 19 when he met Amanda, and I'm guessing he's supposed to be in his mid to late 30s now, so he's known her for about 20 years give or take. If Amanda is now in her mid to late 50s, she would've been in her 30s then, so I think the actress would look ok to play that age with different hair and some makeup magic, if they do a flashback. 

• Like 6
On 3/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, DEL901 said:

Wonder if there were episode length issues?

That said, I was worried when the show was announced since books are often Ed screwed up in the transition (e.g., Jack Reacher…the movies.  The series is good), but they seem to have made the kind of changes necessary for the medium change and not just randomly.  

I agree about the length,  I think instead of trying to wrap things up in one episode they need to continue the case.  I think that would help with the confusion on some cases.   

I like Angie and Ormewood together.   They make good partners.

• Like 2
On 3/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, possibilities said:

https://www.spotern.com/en/media/54004/will-trent

I don't se either of the things we're looking for here, nor at wornontv.com, but maybe it's too soon.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, Kimboweena said:

You can search for items worn on tv by actors.  I would like to know what is on the disk necklace she wears.  All I could find online was the shorter paperclip necklace.  I liked it when when they were talking about online spending sprees, and Angie said her weakness was for jewelry. Me, too!

Here's a link for Angie's plaid coat.  https://veronicabeard.com/products/jadis-jacket?utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1808364&ranMID=40830&ranEAID=J84DHJLQkR4&ranSiteID=J84DHJLQkR4-FsAC6peR1IAFMxwniPwE2w&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-FsAC6peR1IAFMxwniPwE2w&ajs_prop_publisher_name=ShopStyle+(US)&ajs_prop_creative_id=1&ajs_prop_creative_type=10&ajs_prop_offer_id=1015342&ajs_prop_publisher_id=1808364&ajs_event=AffiliateLinkClicked

• Thanks 2
On 3/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, twoods said:

I pet my dog while I’m eating.

Having the dog at the table is a strict no-no in our house and I agree with the people who are surprised that Will allows it. I love my dog and as a full-coat shih tzu he’s pretty clean most of the time, but mealtimes are strictly off limits. He’s not allowed near the table and he’s not even allowed to look at us while we’re eating. Anything that looks like he might be thinking of begging results in  banishment to the other side of the room. 

I loved the scene between Faith and Farhad. His “I look forward to talking to you” and her “Are you sure?” reply cracked me up.

Also: Faith’s ever-changing hairstyles are beautiful. 

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 2:49 PM, Kimboweena said:

I liked it when when they were talking about online spending sprees, and Angie said her weakness was for jewelry. Me, too!

What was the significance of that scene plot-wise in terms of helping them solve the crime?  It looked like it caused Angie to figure something out, but I don't know what it was.

3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

What was the significance of that scene plot-wise in terms of helping them solve the crime?  It looked like it caused Angie to figure something out, but I don't know what it was.

I think it just got her thinking of following the money regarding the murder. The line about the jewelry was just her trying to get him to talk about where his money was going.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:54 PM, LuvMyShows said:

On 4/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, sharifa70 said:

I think it just got her thinking of following the money regarding the murder. The line about the jewelry was just her trying to get him to talk about where his money was going.

That was when it hit her that the reason the magician was forming friendships and spending time with the old people was likely to steal their credit card numbers and go on spending sprees. She was trying to find out if the old man had really bought the stuff, but  - as she had suspected - he hadn't.

• Like 1