Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Honeymoon Hiccups

• Start Topic

Five newlywed pairs of strangers explore their new relationships as they share a bed for the first time on their wedding night.  In the morning, they are dropped into the lion's den for a round personal questions and concerns from their brand-new spouse's family and friends.  The couples reunite for an enticing honeymoon in Jamaica, but for one couple, the sun and sand remain slightly out of reach.

Airs Wednesday, January 25 at 8:00PM EST.

NOTE: This is also the place to discuss the Afterparty episode immediately following.

5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Why is Jasmine wearing her wedding dress to wash her face and brush her teeth??? Isn't that just inviting all kinds of stains that won't come out? Maybe she isn't worried about keeping it as an heirloom?

Or if it doesn’t work out she can sell it on Ebay. 

• Like 2

40 minutes in and I have nothing to say. The commercials are more interesting, and that's a very low bar to jump.

Update: Mom of Mack is just a ray of sunshine.

Update 2: Never trust a guy who wears his sunglasses on his shirt. I'm also wondering...is there a lot of sailboating in landlocked Nashville?

Edited by kikicat
  • Like 8
  • LOL 4
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

Yeah, she is just not having this.

At first I thought it was Domynique she didn't approve of. But maybe it's actually her TV star wannabe son? She knows his motives aren't "right reasons".

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Way to support Airris, lady. But after learning about the 101 golden doodles, maybe he's wishing he'd taken her up on the getway car.

Also, I want cheekbones to put on a beret, just so I can say "Mr. Airris Goes to Paris".

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
23 minutes ago, kikicat said:

At first I thought it was Domynique she didn't approve of. But maybe it's actually her TV star wannabe son? She knows his motives aren't "right reasons".

I didn't get the sense that I thad anything to do with Dom personally. I think she hates the whole reality tv/married at first sight thing.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

I didn't get the sense that I thad anything to do with Dom personally. I think she hates the whole reality tv/married at first sight thing.

She was looking at Dom so skeptically, but I think you're right that it's mostly aimed at MAFS. Still, she has to know her son is chasing fame. He's not blameless.

Nicole does look prettier with less makeup. Chris is asking good questions. Really seems like a good guy (please don't ruin him for me, MAFS).

• Like 14

I'm out, too. Checked TV listings that said it was 2 hrs with no mention of Afterparty, but I'm not mad about it. 90 minutes is enough when it's just talk-talk-talk. We need some honeymoon action!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I would have preferred all the pre-shows were shorter and the actual show was two hours. I don’t have a life so…

Airis’s cousin is really over the top and not just her boobs. She acted like Jazmin being poised and prepared was fake and too pageantry, where I think those things are an attribute to her. I’m surprised at how well she and  Airris are meshing, though I keep thinking they must have gotten his and Shaq’s ages mixed up.

Mac’s mother just seems like a sour puss in general. 
So far, it doesn’t appear anyone has consummated anything yet. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1

I think Mac may come from a lot of money.  His mother offering him $50k and then he mentioned that he only travels by plane in first class.  And Dom mentioned on the Afterparty that he tried to upgrade their tickets when they were on their first flight. 

Why did Kirsten have to sit in a hotel room all day?  (And pout!)   Why couldn’t she go out and shop or sightsee or something?  

I thought they all went to brunch but when Jasmine got back it was dark outside the hotel Room.  Maybe his cousin tied her up for a few hours?  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
15 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Why did Kirsten have to sit in a hotel room all day?  (And pout!)   Why couldn’t she go out and shop or sightsee or something?  

Or go to see his presentation?  He wanted her to ‘see him in his element’, so go watch him do his thing!  Tell him how proud you are!  Let him show you off!  Missed opportunity in my book!

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Katie111 said:

Or sit in on shaq’s conference presentation?

1 hour ago, Real4real said:

Or go to see his presentation?  He wanted her to ‘see him in his element’, so go watch him do his thing!  Tell him how proud you are!  Let him show you off!  Missed opportunity in my book!

Exactly! You said it first & better! :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I didn't like the way Shaquille *told* Kirsten they were taking a work-related detour before the honeymoon. He should have given her the courtesy of *asking* her, because they are equals and make decisions together. Of course, I feel she should have then offered to accompany him & tried better to make the trip a little bit special. But, the way he approached things left a bad taste in my mouth...

• Like 17

Wow!..... Nicole sharing her story of physical abuse in a relationship was incredibly vulnerable.... One of those things you either don't share for a long time, or maybe never share for fear of folks looking at you funny; like you did something even though you were a victim. Victim blaming happens all day, every day through micro-aggressions. It is Real! Chris' loving response was Spot! On! Listened without judgment, held her hand, kissed her scar!!!---- Omigod! These 2 crazy kids are gonna make it!!!

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, kikicat said:

40 minutes in and I have nothing to say. The commercials are more interesting, and that's a very low bar to jump.

Update 2: Never trust a guy who wears his sunglasses on his shirt. I'm also wondering...is there a lot of sailboating in landlocked Nashville?

It's all good! As long as Gina doesn't make waves (except in someone's hair), there will be smooth sailing, matey!

• LOL 4

My heart went to Nicole when she was sharing about her past relationships.  I could so relate to her.  I think Nicole and Chris have a real shot at having a successful marriage as they are already dealing with real issues and being supportive.

My respect for Shaq went down-I have no idea why he even decided to participate in this when he has his dissertation defense two days after getting marriage.  My understanding was (and I could be wrong) that he was having to present his research which is his dissertation defense which will determine whether his dissertation (and research) is accepted or not.  In other words, whether his PhD is confirmed or not.  I can not believe that he is participating in all of this nonsense when he should be revising, practicing, etc., for this defense (and then he said he wasn't ready for it).  I did feel for Kirsten just finding out about it and not being able to go with the other couples to her honeymoon.  Wow, just wow.

Although I wish she could have been more pleasant to Dom, I do think Mac's mom is right about this process.  However, her wrath should be directed towards her son, NOT Dom.  It's not Dom's fault that Mac decided to participate in this train wreck.  Of course, it probably didn't help matters when Dom told them that her mother signed her up for this...

I also don't think it's wise to start a marriage with a stranger by stating how one does not have any free time (Gina, Shaq), that one wants to go out with friends whenever-and it's a deal-breaker (Nicole), one is brand new to the area and it sounds like he doesn't even have a job (Mac), or that one is a dog breeder and so there will also be multiple dogs around (Jasmine).

• Like 11
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Yeah, she is just not having this.

At ALL. I was looking at her thinking “Fix your face,” which is what my parents used to say to us when we were scowling about whatever.

12 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Not sure how I feel about Mac's mom (or anyone's parent) trying to buy him out of MAFS (or any decision they as an independent adult have made) for $50,000. That just feels... slimy to me. 

I don’t like it either. It not only feels slimy, it’s controlling. Like, it sounds like her next step will be cutting him out of the will or something. He didn’t go for it, but it sounds like his mother isn’t above using money to control, which is not a dynamic I’d want to marry into.

• Like 10

I fell asleep and now I know why AfterParty was not in my guide, but I saw some commercials saying it was next. I wonder if it will be that way going forward. Anyway, maybe Mac's mom offered him the money to see how serious he was and if he accepted the offer, then she would say that he was not doing this for the right reason if he cold be bought off?

But, I did see when Shaq TOLD Kirsten that they were not going on the. honeymoon directly and that she was coming with him for his presentation. I would not have liked that at all and it should have been up to her to say that she wanted to come and see it. That said, I don't know why she was pouting about staying in the hotel - she should have been watching his presentation. OR, she should have told the producers that she wanted to go to Jamaica and would meet him when he got there after his commitments were complete.

Sounds like I didn't miss too much. Anything newsworthy at the AfterParty?

• Like 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, kikicat said:

Mom of Mac is a SNOB.  She was barely looking at her new daughter in law, who is a doll by the way.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Kirsten looks and sounds younger than 32.  Hard to believe she's a year older than Shaq.

Miss No Personality.  Or Gods gift to humanity, she thinks.  If I were him, I wouldn’t kiss her the whole honeymoon.

Why did Nicole tell the world she let some maniac burn her with a cigarette?  Who does that?

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Why did Nicole tell the world she let some maniac burn her with a cigarette?  Who does that?

Everyone has their own journey. If the person feels comfortable, it's good to get those experiences out there. Let people know they are not alone. A lot of people have serious issues with abandonment, insecurities and depression that others prey on. We probably would have a lot more scumbags off the streets or off of them earlier if people felt more open to report assaults and abuse without the fear of judgment, ridicule or violence as a result.

I'm glad she felt free to express herself without judgment and that she felt like she had a safe space to do so. 

I always question why some of these dumbssses live with someone for 8 weeks and still say I don't know you, I don't understand you, we still need to learn about each other. They have nothing but time. TALK. Even the hard stuff. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Like 7
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2

My guess on the fifty grand is that Mac told his mom the show was going to be paying him to be on it and she countered with more. 

Ncole’s story about her ex was the most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen on this show. I didn’t think she should’ve shared it, but fortunately, Chris seems like a mensch. I hope they make it. 

Was Shaq in Mississippi defending his dissertation, or was it just a conference? The first I’d absolutely give him a pass for, the second does not tell one’s new bride that she’s your priority. 

Edited by Cramps
  • Like 6

Lord, Kirsten's face when she was told that she was not going to Jamaica but Jackson, Mississippi, was priceless.

So they matched a man who likes slender women with a curvy girl and a woman who does not like red hair with a ginger man?

Great job, experts!

• Like 4
  • LOL 10
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I always question why some of these dumbssses live with someone for 8 weeks and still say I don't know you, I don't understand you, we still need to learn about each other. They have nothing but time. TALK. Even the hard stuff. 

But, remember - often these "couples" don't even live together - they just show up for filming. I think they CAN live together, but many of them don't.

56 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Oh the tattoos! 

I was SOOOOOOO distracted by them, especially on the women. I guess that would be MY shallow deal breaker (like Kirsten's and others have had for bald men), but I just don't like the look of them. especially the way they do them now where they are all down their arms or necks or chests. No offense to anyone here, but I really don't like the look of them for my tastes. It seems as though almost everyone has them this season. 

Also, I was still annoyed by the "like"s .

(So, I fell asleep, but you know how they repeat the show over and over? Well, I kept waking up to see the same parts over and over and missed the rest!)

54 minutes ago, Cramps said:

Was Shaq in Mississippi defending his dissertation, or was it just a conference?

I thought he said it was a presentation, not a defense of a doctorate. 

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

So only 2 carried their new brides over the hotel door threshold: Chris & Shaq. Surprisingly, Jas & Kirsten wore something sexy for their new husbands. Really surprised by Kirsten, even though it was just a satin robe. Not surprised the guys that recently had sex went shirtless. I hope they asked if that was okay 1st. Pretty disrespectful if they didn't. 😒😒

Edited by Lindz
  • Like 1

Can we talk about  Clint's bizarre chest hair? Why on earth is this man shirtless on television? Bad wax job, or just a weird pattern? So many questions! I note that the other man wore tank tops  in their talking heads like decent human beings.

Clint just thinks he's way hotter than he is.

Mac's mom is an uber BITCH. My god at least be polite.

Shaq telling his wife that she WILL be going to Jackson, MS with him---that's a no from me dawg. Maybe profusely apologize for the conflict and ask her what she wants to do?  And asking for a kiss when she's clearly not feeling it...This guy can't read a room.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Kirsten's friend totally set Shaq up to be embarrassed by telling him she wanted him to ask for a kiss! THAT EXCUSE ONLY APPLIED AT THE ALTAR!!! 🤣🤣 Got that man getting his feelings hurt AGAIN on his wedding night. Smh

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I was SOOOOOOO distracted by them, especially on the women. I guess that would be MY shallow deal breaker (like Kirsten's and others have had for bald men), but I just don't like the look of them. especially the way they do them now where they are all down their arms or necks or chests. No offense to anyone here, but I really don't like the look of them for my tastes. It seems as though almost everyone has them this season. 

I hear you!  Why all the tattoos showing on the brides?  I think Nicole has more than any bride ever on any season.

There have been some really pretty wedding gowns in the past (Karen - New Orleans and Bao - Houston) but I really didn't like any of the gowns this season and then add the tattoos!

• Like 8
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

So they matched a man who likes slender women with a curvy girl and a woman who does not like red hair with a ginger man?

Great job, experts!

So I have the feeling that one of them is saying it to get back at the other who said it first and hurt their feelings!  Which one will be which is the question 😄

I wanted Nicole to ask Chris why that girl was acting that way on the trip, or why he had gone on a trip with her to begin with!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Airris is shaping up to be the CREEPIEST HUSBAND EVER! He seriously told the other couples he was looking forward to intimacy on the honeymoon. ICK! Well. Jas told her sisters at the wedding she'd be fine doing it on the honeymoon, so I wonder if anything he says could change that. I doubt it. Chris was inappropriate with his questions to Paige during their wedding & that didn't stop her a few hours later or a few hours after that. 🤷

• Like 3

Chris's story was strange & seriously lacking. Like... WHY was she standoffish???!! Did they have an argument? Were they practically broken up? WHAT?! Sadly, it doesn't look like Nic has completely shed what that ex said from what she said on her wedding day about being undeserving of love & such if she couldn't make it work with Chris. I hope she gets therapy.

Nic should really think about what she asks her new husband. Asking if they're gunna have sex on the honeymoon... Um. NO. CANYOUNOT?!?!!! AWKWARRRD!!! There's better things to say! Unfortunately, that's not the last time she makes it uncomfortable for EVERYONE. 😬

Edited by Lindz
  • Like 4

But, I did see when Shaq TOLD Kirsten that they were not going on the. honeymoon directly and that she was coming with him for his presentation. I would not have liked that at all and it should have been up to her to say that she wanted to come and see it. That said, I don't know why she was pouting about staying in the hotel - she should have been watching his presentation. OR, she should have told the producers that she wanted to go to Jamaica and would meet him when he got there after his commitments were complete.

I couldn't figure out why that happened the way that it did and I wondered if the producers made that decision and not Shaq? I guess it sort of makes sense that the flight and hotel arrangements need to be finalized, but I would have thought that giving her the choice about what to do would have made the most sense - and honestly would maybe have given Shaq some clues about his new wife. If it were me, I would have asked if he was comfortable with me attending his presentation (and if the conference would have allowed it; some don't) and if so, I would have gone. 

Why all the tattoos showing on the brides?

I got my first tattoo today. I didn't get it to cover it up. I don't think that people get tattoos just to cover them up; they get them to express or commemorate something. I think as they continue to become more common, it will be less "expected" for them to be covered on the wedding day.

Ncole’s story about her ex was the most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen on this show. I didn’t think she should’ve shared it, but fortunately, Chris seems like a mensch. I hope they make it. 

Shouldn't have shared it with Chris or on tv? I actually am sort of glad she shared it (though terribly sad that it happened). I think that there is enough shame and embarrassment about being abused; for Nicole to put that out there and share that she grew from it and learned that she didn't deserve that treatment maybe takes away some of the stigma. And it really gave Chris an opportunity to shine; his response was really just perfect. I think that it brought them closer and it helped Chris to understand a really important piece of Nicole's history and experience in relationships.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Ok. ANOTHER parent talking about serial killers. Like. STOP! That goes BOTH WAYS!!! EVERYONE'S SUSPECT!!! And. They should be less concerned about their daughter's new spouse killing THREE or more people, they should care about their ONE child not being killed. So stupid. 😒😒

• Like 1