Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Honeymoon Hiccups

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Retired at last said:

But, remember - often these "couples" don't even live together - they just show up for filming. I think they CAN live together, but many of them don't.

Nothing is stopping them from talking. They have phones. 

I'm also talking about a larger issue of some these people not really taling this seriously or dragging out decisions they've already made.

At least, Chris and Nicole seem to be open and taking this seriously from the jump.

• Like 8

I thought Nicole’s revelation to him was in response to him telling her about how poorly he was treated by a girlfriend. Although incredibly sad, it explains a lot of how damaged their self esteem is and hopefully they can heal together. 

• Like 8

On the aftershow, they discussed Mackinley's "reaction" to having a middle seat on the airplane.  It caused a lot of drama because he was trying to change the seat assignment and apparently somehow cancelled their reservation instead.  And it ended up with Mackinley sitting with one of the other couples for the flight from Atlanta to Jamaica, instead of with Domynique.

What I don't understand is why Dom didn't offer to take the middle seat, if it meant that much to Mackinley.  First of all, it was just luck that he was the one who got the middle seat and she wasn't.   

But there was also a snippet of him saying that's why he flies first class--no middle seats.  If I were Dom, I'd be thinking, "Hey, this guy's got enough coin to fly first class.  I'll graciously offer to take the middle seat now in exchange for flying first class for the rest of my life."

Apparently neither of them has ever flown alone, and been in the middle seat between two strangers?  It's a million times better to have someone you know on one side, because it turns the middle seat into a seat next to a stranger, which happens all the time.

Or now that I think about it, maybe the "middle seat" was in a row of five, so neither of them was going to be on the aisle or next to the window?  In that case, it wouldn't matter if Dom switched seats.  But it would be back to having a seat next to a stranger, which happens all the time. 

As usual, so many unanswered questions.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Cramps said:

Was Shaq in Mississippi defending his dissertation, or was it just a conference? The first I’d absolutely give him a pass for, the second does not tell one’s new bride that she’s your priority. 

But what does this reveal about her priorities?  If it was defending his dissertation (which hasn't been confirmed, as far as I know), she chose to sit in a hotel room rather than attend?  I went to a friend's dissertation defense for his PhD in physics, and understood exactly zero words.  And I wasn't there to "support" him, which apparently is the number one priority in any friendship these days.  I just thought it would be something interesting to do, and he said it was fine with him.  I'm glad I went, even though did I mention I understood exactly zero words?

If I were trying to learn about this stranger I had just married, I would definitely go to his dissertation defense, especially if it's in a field that is not physics.

So was it a conference?  Even then, I'd go to the presentation.  Seems to me it would be a great way to get a jump-start on getting to know this person, because it's not something he's filtering for my use.  The "experts" go dig around in people's houses to see them in their natural habitat.

• Like 11

On 1/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, Retired at last said:

Sounds like I didn't miss too much. Anything newsworthy at the AfterParty?

I found it noteworthy that Airris said he was not initially attracted to Jasmine.  He didn't really specify what his type usually is, nor really why he wasn't that attracted to her, and it seemed like as of the honeymoons, he still was working on being attracted to her.

19 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

And it really gave Chris an opportunity to shine; his response was really just perfect. I think that it brought them closer and it helped Chris to understand a really important piece of Nicole's history and experience in relationships.  

Really surprised that MAFS matched her with someone who seems to be a good guy.  The usual MAFS pattern with someone with self-esteem issues would be to match them with an asshole (see Jessica and hundy Ryan).  I hope these two crazy kids make it!

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

On the aftershow, they discussed Mackinley's "reaction" to having a middle seat on the airplane.  It caused a lot of drama because he was trying to change the seat assignment and apparently somehow cancelled their reservation instead.  And it ended up with Mackinley sitting with one of the other couples for the flight from Atlanta to Jamaica, instead of with Domynique.

What I don't understand is why Dom didn't offer to take the middle seat, if it meant that much to Mackinley.  First of all, it was just luck that he was the one who got the middle seat and she wasn't.  

If he's the one who screwed it all up?  That's how you learn 😄

• Like 2
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But there was also a snippet of him saying that's why he flies first class--no middle seats.  If I were Dom, I'd be thinking, "Hey, this guy's got enough coin to fly first class.  I'll graciously offer to take the middle seat now in exchange for flying first class for the rest of my life."

Apparently neither of them has ever flown alone, and been in the middle seat between two strangers?  It's a million times better to have someone you know on one side, because it turns the middle seat into a seat next to a stranger, which happens all the time.

Or now that I think about it, maybe the "middle seat" was in a row of five, so neither of them was going to be on the aisle or next to the window?  In that case, it wouldn't matter if Dom switched seats.  But it would be back to having a seat next to a stranger, which happens all the time. 

As usual, so many unanswered questions.

The fact that he was going on and on about having to fly coach also jives with his family having some money since he seemed accustomed to first class.

Of course, why does someone with money go on a reality show and lives off a friend's parents instead of getting their own place is a mystery.

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I found it noteworthy that Airris said he was not initially attracted to Jasmine.  He didn't really specify what his type usually is, nor really why he wasn't that attracted to her, and it seemed like as of the honeymoons, he still was working on being attracted to her.

Really surprised that MAFS matched her with someone who seems to be a good guy.  The usual MAFS pattern with someone with self-esteem issues would be to match them with an asshole (see Jessica and hundy Ryan).  I hope these two crazy kids make it!

I had a feeling that he did not like her and is not serious about getting married.

I am going to call his cousin with the goddess locs his play cousin from now on because I think she might be in love with Arriss (sp?, sorry too lazy to look it up).

There was no reason for her to shade Jas so badly for the crime of being poised and well-spoken.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Nicole’s parents remind me of characters from “Where the Wild Things” are.  

I have been finding Nicole more and more attractive because she seems like a genuine person who seems to be in this for the right reasons.

That said, she is the beauty of her family and I'll just leave it at that. Though I did spy a redheaded half-sister at the wedding that was quite pretty.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I assume the show bought the tickets and got the seat assignments for them, since the couples didn't know where they were going.

Of course!  And if my spouse couldn't roll and acted like a big baby when we had just met and he had signed up for it, I'd leave his butt in the middle seat too! 😄

• Like 4

So Jas isn't ugly Airris's type. Shaq isn't Kirsten's type. Mac isn't Niq's type. Clint isn't Gina's type & vice versa. But they're all playing nice, for now. Except Kirsten, at first. Good everyone didn't say that & was acting right on their wedding day. I wonder how long that'll last. 😅 Alyssa's record is intact. 🤪

Edited by Lindz
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

So was it a conference?  Even then, I'd go to the presentation.

Some conferences are really strict about not allowing non-attendees to go to presentations. If it was an option, I would have gone and I think that's what Kirsten should have done, but it's possible she wasn't permitted. And there may not be many sights to be seen in Jackson, Mississippi, but I still would have used the time to rest up, maybe find a salon for a pedicure or order some food and curl up with a good book... anything but sit around and complain on camera about how I was stuck in a hotel room because of my new husband...

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

While Jasmine, the ex "beauty queen," has a nice figure, her face isn't that attractive, so I can understand Ariss not being initially attracted to her.   However, I don't think he's all that either, so there's that. 

I don’t think Kirsten is all that either.  Dominique has it all over those two in looks and bubbling sweet personality, IMO.  I think she’s the best out of all of them.  What .. Kirsten couldn’t even give the guy a little kiss when he carried her into the room?

54 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Some conferences are really strict about not allowing non-attendees to go to presentations. If it was an option, I would have gone and I think that's what Kirsten should have done, but it's possible she wasn't permitted. And there may not be many sights to be seen in Jackson, Mississippi, but I still would have used the time to rest up, maybe find a salon for a pedicure or order some food and curl up with a good book... anything but sit around and complain on camera about how I was stuck in a hotel room because of my new husband...

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t think Kirsten is all that either.  Dominique has it all over those two in looks and bubbling sweet personality, IMO.  I think she’s the best out of all of them.  What .. Kirsten couldn’t even give the guy a little kiss when he carried her into the room?

I think Kirsten is attractive, but it's her personality that's a turnoff for me.  I think Dom is cute.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 4
28 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Kirsten is attractive, but it's her personality that's a turnoff for me.  I think Dom is cute. 

I agree. But, for me, it is also Kirsten's voice that bugs me, along with her personality. Dom is cute, but the previews don't look promising. I have also decided that without all that horrendous black make-up, Nicole is actually a little pretty.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 6
34 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I agree. But, for me, it is also Kirsten's voice that bugs me, along with her personality. Dom is cute, but the previews don't look promising. I have also decided that without all that horrendous black make-up, Nicole is actually a little pretty.

I agree about Kirsten's baby voice.  That would get annoying really fast. 

I also agree that Nicole is a little pretty without that horrible eye make-up.  I think the most off-putting thing about her are those tattoos because her arms are so big, and so are the tattoos.   

• Like 6

I thought it was odd how some of the parents and friends attacked the spouse as if it was solely his or her idea to apply for married at first site. They couldn't talk their own daughter or son out of it so why complain? I'm not sure how much good it does to tell them about all the pitfalls and difficulties of marriage. Who pays attention to that? We all enter into matrimony with ideas, hopes and plans that often get obliterated. I would offer what I know his or her expectations are, their hobbies, what they like to eat. Their political views. Offer to referee if needed. My advice to any newlyweds? Avoid blaming each other and look at every problem as a challenge to the team. Make major decisions together. Don't sweat the small stuff it will drive you nuts.  

I've been happily married for 23 year. 23 out of 29 ain't bad.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Lindz said:

Did we really make it to the honeymoon without seeing anyone brush their teeth??? & Did they finally lay off so much slow-mo??? 😆😆

Nope. Jasmine brushed on her wedding night, while still wearing her wedding dress. That disturbed me.

• Like 3
On 1/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, Crashcourse said:

I think the most off-putting thing about her are those tattoos because her arms are so big, and so are the tattoos.   

Every time the camera pans over to Nicole's gigantic upper-arm tattoo (the content of which I can't discern) I avert my eyes because it is very distracting and unsightly (to me). I think I recall her having several tattoos. 

IMO, Nicole does not give a professional or refined appearance so that type of "look" might not be important to her.  Considering her father's bombastic and super-critical remarks to Chris, her appearance seems counter-intuitive; however, I understand she is an adult and will tailor her appearance to her own standards.

Both she and Chris have experienced a LOT of prior rejection in their dating lives so if either of them senses that he/she is being "validated" by a "caring" person, all bets may be off regarding seeing anything significantly negative in the other.

I have been told by many men that the main feature of being attracted to a woman he chooses to marry is not her body type or physical features.  Instead, it's whether she gives him a feeling of confidence and demonstrates that she places him in high esteem.   

On that basis, I think this couple, among all the rest of them, will have a lasting relationship.

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

IMO, Nicole does not give a professional or refined appearance so that type of "look" might not be important to her. 

I really hope that our culture is moving away from seeing tattoos as "unprofessional." They don't say anything at all about a person's ability to do any type of work. Culture evolves on these things - when I was a teenager, even having double pierced ears (as a female - god forbid any man have any piercings) was shocking. 

I think Nicole is of a generation that doesn't view tattoos as negatively as older generations. Many young people have them and in pretty visible locations. I've hired dozens of people in a professional setting and I have never used the presence or absence of tattoos as a deciding factor,*** or really even a consideration.

***Having said that, I suppose a narrow number of types of images might well influence my hiring decision - a swastika, for example...

Edited by Elizzikra
On 1/26/2023 at 2:35 PM, glitterpussy said:

Can we talk about  Clint's bizarre chest hair? Why on earth is this man shirtless on television? Bad wax job, or just a weird pattern? So many questions! I note that the other man wore tank tops  in their talking heads like decent human beings.

Clint wore a tank top, too, except his is made of hair. 😮

For real, it looked like he put on a tank top and had only the exposed skin waxed. Must've done it recently because the skin was hairless and bright pink. Was that his way of primping for the wedding? Too bad he neglected that shaggy beard and head o' hair.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, kikicat said:

Clint wore a tank top, too, except his is made of hair. 😮

For real, it looked like he put on a tank top and had only the exposed skin waxed. Must've done it recently because the skin was hairless and bright pink. Was that his way of primping for the wedding? Too bad he neglected that shaggy beard and head o' hair.

The “experts” can’t match physically.  Clint is slight, she looks like she could knock him out with one finger.  She needs a tall husky man.  Don’t the experts know what women want and what attracts them?  Imo, tattoos do not go well with a wedding dress.  They should cover them up with Dermablend.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Both she and Chris have experienced a LOT of prior rejection in their dating lives so if either of them senses that he/she is being "validated" by a "caring" person, all bets may be off regarding seeing anything significantly negative in the other.

I have been told by many men that the main feature of being attracted to a woman he chooses to marry is not her body type or physical features.  Instead, it's whether she gives him a feeling of confidence and demonstrates that she places him in high esteem.   

On that basis, I think this couple, among all the rest of them, will have a lasting relationship.

Agreed.  And I'm not sure that only applies to men.  For instance, I always thought this to be the same basic reason that Stephanie decided to stay married to AJ in the Philadelpha season, as well.   She was so far out of his league, but it seemed her prior relationships had been crappy - while AJ openly worshipped the ground she walked on.

Overall, I think being accepted / regarded / validated (or however you want to say it)  is one of the most basic human emotional needs, and it's looking like Chris and Nicole are a great fit in that respect - so I'm also predicting these two stay together.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Overall, I think being accepted / regarded / validated (or however you want to say it)  is one of the most basic human emotional needs, and it's looking like Chris and Nicole are a great fit in that respect - so I'm also predicting these two stay together.

A big word up to all of this.

I see so many people obsessing about their physical appearance because of Instagram and they never work on making themselves a better person.

Looks fade and looks have never been enough to build a foundation for a strong relationship.

I think Chris and Nicole are the only ones really connecting in a meaningful way mostly because both have been hurt in the past and are ready to make a go of it with a sincere authentic person.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

The “experts” can’t match physically.  Clint is slight, she looks like she could knock him out with one finger.  She needs a tall husky man.  Don’t the experts know what women want and what attracts them?  Imo, tattoos do not go well with a wedding dress.  They should cover them up with Dermablend.

I agree and wonder if later they'll regret having not covered them up for the day when they look at the photos.

I haven't watched the last couple of seasons of MAFS; this is going to be an interesting ride! I think I liked Dominique's family the best and her mum is very natural looking and attractive. She was surprisingly very composed and mature when dealing with the bitter mother-in-law, given her youth.

Nicole and Chris do seem to have the best connection but I wonder if there will be some class conflicts. He didn't seem too thrilled about her catfish skills.

The hairdresser lady's mouth (still getting the names straight) distracts me with the big teeth and her too big smile.

Airess seems kind of shady.

I also was surprised by cheer lady's sexy pink nighttime getup. Girlfriend wouldn't deem to even give him a peck on the cheek, but wears that to bed? The scar on his head is unfortunate, but I don't think he's unattractive at all.

• Like 2

Don’t the experts know what women want and what attracts them? 

Well no, because women are individuals and everyone likes something different. However, the "experts" supposedly spend time talking with all these people and learning about what they want (or, as they say, what they want versus what they need and what's best for them). So yeah, I'd expect them to do better.

Imo, tattoos do not go well with a wedding dress.  They should cover them up with Dermablend.

I agree and wonder if later they'll regret having not covered them up for the day when they look at the photos.

People don't get tattoos because they want to cover them up. They like them and want them to be seen, or they get them in a place that isn't immediately visible. Some people don't like that but that doesn't mean everyone doesn't like them. 

That said, yeah, maybe some people will regret them in the pictures, years from now, just like I look at pictures of myself from the 80's and regret the big hair and the neon sweaters and the leg warmers. But those pictures are who I was at the time and documenting that is kind of why we take pictures, so...

• Like 5
2 hours ago, politichick said:

Nicole and Chris do seem to have the best connection but I wonder if there will be some class conflicts. He didn't seem too thrilled about her catfish skills.

I think you're mixing up your people (probably from lack of practice because of skipping a couple of seasons--something you should be proud of).  Dom is the one who likes to fish, and she's matched with Mackinley, whose mother offered him $50,000 not to do MAFS, and maybe that's the class difference you're thinking of? 

But back to Nicole and Chris, I always enjoy the financial discussions, but I'm really looking forward to theirs.

2 hours ago, politichick said:

If they look at the photos a couple of decades later, they're liable to think the tats look pretty darn sharp compared to the sagging skin they're inked on now.

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

That said, yeah, maybe some people will regret them in the pictures, years from now, just like I look at pictures of myself from the 80's and regret the big hair and the neon sweaters and the leg warmers. But those pictures are who I was at the time and documenting that is kind of why we take pictures, so...

But weddings, and in particular the wedding look for the bride, are a performance and have little to do with who someone actually is, or certainly what they actually look like.  (Something that always bugs me--you don't hear the men wondering, "Will she like me when she sees how I really look?")

And speaking of the 80s, I wonder if the trend of above-ankle pants and no socks for grooms is at long last retribution for the frizzy hair and elastic forehead headbands brides sported in the 80s. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

People don't get tattoos because they want to cover them up. They like them and want them to be seen, or they get them in a place that isn't immediately visible.

I'm also kinda surprised at the attitude towards tattoos in 2023. Maybe it's because of where I live, but its a total nonissue professionally (I'm a lawyer, and I have several that aren't readily visible but not covered up either -think ankle and shoulder- no one has ever said a word) and I certainly didn't think to cover them at my wedding with makeup!  My husband is basically fully inked, with full sleeves. They are expensive, tasteful, and I think beautiful!  If you have them, you like them, so I'm having trouble imagining why you would cover them to avoid OTHER people seeing them?

However, I'm TOTALLY not above snarking on what I think are bad or unflattering tattoos, like Nicole's forearm piece--whatever it is, the placement is yikes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, people are entitled to their opinions about tattoos--like them or not.  I happen to be one of those who doesn't like them.

Agreed. I was just responding to a couple people asking why brides chose not to cover them and also the idea that tattoos are somehow unprofessional or non-bridal.

How many times this episode did I hear the snoopy, intrusive family members (after asking intimate and embarrassing questions) say something along the lines of, "Well, I don't know if he/she is being sincere or maybe they are just giving the right answers/the responses they think we want to hear."  I dunno; what do you think? Being grilled by people you don't know at first meeting and going into this "experiment" in the spirit that is intended, what else should they expect? Controversial political opinions? Cursing like a sailor? Negativity? This is like a job interview; I would hope that the participants would have fairly pleasant, optimistic and benign answers to all of the families' interrogations.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Totes agree on the tatts. I have none. Not a fan. Many look trashy IMHO. However, both of my daughters have a few and my youngest has more than a few including a very large hip one and forearm one. While it’s not my cup of tea, I respect that they both put thought into their designs and their tattoos are meaningful to them. When they get married I will not love the look, but my focus will be on helping them enjoy their day and new spouse. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I just hope Shaq gets a little peck on the lips tonight.  She is making a fool out of him.  Who does she think she is?  Enough is enough.

i don't think she's making a fool out of him, if she isn't into him, she isn't into him.  and she may loosen up more once she gets to know him and change her mind.  or not.  her loss.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

I thought it was odd how some of the parents and friends attacked the spouse as if it was solely his or her idea to apply for married at first site. They couldn't talk their own daughter or son out of it so why complain? I'm not sure how much good it does to tell them about all the pitfalls and difficulties of marriage. Who pays attention to that? We all enter into matrimony with ideas, hopes and plans that often get obliterated. I would offer what I know his or her expectations are, their hobbies, what they like to eat. Their political views. Offer to referee if needed. My advice to any newlyweds? Avoid blaming each other and look at every problem as a challenge to the team. Make major decisions together. Don't sweat the small stuff it will drive you nuts.  

I've been happily married for 23 year. 23 out of 29 ain't bad.

I really tried to understand this ratio, but couldn’t. 

Why did the brides wear either very basic nightwear or extremely fancy one?
Especially you, Kristen -

if you don’t want to kiss your husband, don’t wear sexy lingerie to bed - the rule of life

14 hours ago, Maximadc said:

I really tried to understand this ratio, but couldn’t. 

Why did the brides wear either very basic nightwear or extremely fancy one?
Especially you, Kristen -

if you don’t want to kiss your husband, don’t wear sexy lingerie to bed - the rule of life

Kirsten reminds me a little of Whitley Gilbert from a Different World and her night set would be exactly what Whitney would wear.

Whitley would have called it a peignoir because she was bougie like that.

A Different World Reaction GIF

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
On 1/30/2023 at 5:37 AM, SabineElisabeth said:

Agreed.  And I'm not sure that only applies to men.  For instance, I always thought this to be the same basic reason that Stephanie decided to stay married to AJ in the Philadelpha season, as well.   She was so far out of his league, but it seemed her prior relationships had been crappy - while AJ openly worshipped the ground she walked on.

I agree about Stephanie and AJ.  They are having a ball together traveling all over the place.  Living the life.  Nicole is very soft hearted.  I hope they stay together too.

• Like 2