Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Two More Years and a Stolen Rose

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Meh episode.

I don't understand why Darlene had issues with Becky living with her for 4 years instead of 2.  The excuse 'I want to start my life with Ben' doesnt make sense.  It's not like she wants more kids.  Harris doesn't live with her and Mark will be moving off to college in a few years.

Where the heck was Mark the whole episode?

The Smitty storyline was dumb too. He held a grudge to Dan because he stole Roseanne!?!?!?  I mean it was 45 years ago. Smitty didn't move on with another woman? Especially after he made his money?

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My best (only?) laugh was Harris's reaction to seeing Smitty at the door. (And I've never even watched Shameless.)

I've never seen it, either. But yeah, I liked Harris ragging him about wearing a speedo :D. I also laughed at Jackie's letter being addressed to "Mrs. Donny Osmond". 

But yeah, wow, Smitty...talk about needing to move the hell on. 

Beverly Rose looked really cute in her outfit :). 

• Like 9

How much money does Darlene and Ben have that they can afford the house without Becky? Darlene is delivering food but maybe Ben's store is doing well? 

I never watched Shameless either but vaguely know the gist of it. I forgot the connection until the two actors appeared in the same scene. Classic Roseanne/The Conners.

• Like 3

I know nothing about Shameless, so the Speedo thing meant nothing to me, but I'd read several times about how Macy's guest appearance would include a reunion with former co-star Kinney, so at least it wasn't completely over my head what the point was.

Dan and Roseanne had been together since they were sixteen, other than a very brief break-up (they weren't 100% consistent with that bit of canon, but about 98%).  Smitty is a world-class loser for being hung up on someone he had a crush on as a teenager. 

Louise's "God forbid" after Dan declares he and Roseanne had 45 great years together, and he's going to have 45 more with her was perfectly delivered.

Darlene the job applicant continues to amuse me.  "'Must be upbeat and love working with people'.  Next!"

I love Dan asking Becky and Darlene why they're there -- "Didn't I build you a house?"

While the return of Bobo was much ado about nothing (that cannot possibly be the return of a character from the original series producers hyped for months?!), it did give Smitty his only funny line, when he declared "This is why poor people never get anywhere" when Bobo turned down the $2000, saying he'd fight Dan for free as revenge.

Lecy always breaks my heart when she plays Becky's regret; nothing will ever top the "Remember when you were proud of me?" scene with Dan (I teared up just writing that), but telling Darlene it kills her to have to ask and she hates that she got so far off track got to me.

I was also moved by Dan's "I set myself up"/"I did that" contrasting scenes.

• Like 7

I haven't been paying attention to the spoiler thread all this time, so I didn't know anything about a character from the original series being hyped up, but if that's the case and it was just this Bobo dude, it was lame; I didn't even know who it was until the flashback popped up. 

I have to admit, I'm used to seeing William H. Macy without a moustache, so I didn't recognize him at first, and I originally misheard the name "Smitty" as "Ziggy" (I know, I can't explain it either)--I wonder if he could be the original character returning if it's still up in the air; is he still alive out there somewhere?

I know it won't be easy for her, but as always I'm rooting for Becky to find her way, and if she can make it work and get her Masters, awesome. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Is it rude to say Smitty dodged a bullet not marrying Roseanne and still being hung up on Roseanne of all people for 50 years is ridiculous? 

No. It's logical. Smitty is a handsome guy who is well known and has a lot of money. I have to assume he could meet another woman since high school. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

He's probably not hung up on Rosanne after all these years. It was about Dan "beating" him . I bet it was never about Rosanne at all. Well, maybe only as a symbol, not as a person.

The thing is that Dan was happy to see him and didn't even know they were in competition and it's all in Smitty's head.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

The character came off as skeevy and Becky’s “daddy” joke was cringeworthy. 

Since Dan acknowledged that he cashed the check, I hope that he gets a win for once and won’t have to struggle financially for a while (because something will most likely come up). As someone Darlene’s age who just paid off a house, it just makes me sad to see Dan still struggling to pay a mortgage on a house that he should have paid off at least a decade ago. 

• Like 9

At least we got to see the Lobo.  And the guy who took Dan's beer hat!

Did they digitally remove Roseanne from the flashback? Or was she not originally in the shot? I couldn't decide.

Got a good laugh out of the Shameless reunion, and I wasn't even spoiled about Macy's guest appearance. Nor did it occur to me there might be a scene between him and Kenney until it happened.

I know nothing about Shameless, so the Speedo thing meant nothing to me

The joke about him wearing Speedos didn't have anything to do with Shameless, BTW. Smitty apparently appeared in his own commercials for his pool business wearing Speedos. That's it.

• Like 3

The way Darlene initially turned down Becky was cruel and unnecessary….but then I would be annoyed too having the beer police up my ass whenever I had a drink, we would have nipped that shit in the bud from the giddyup!

Love you Louise but you and your husband’s financial situation is no one else’s business.  I was hoping that Dan had popped Smitty in his pathetic mouth. 

Question, does the $6,000 mortgage payment mean that the house is finally paid off?

Beverly Rose has gone from Annabelle to Megan, she still skeeves me out.

Finally, that was Eric Allan Kramer?  Drooooooooooooools, he turned out to be a sexy mutha you know the rest....call me Zaddy!!

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 6

The mortgage companies / banks do not retroactively raise your interest.  Dad would not owe $6000 for back interest.  He would have gotten a notice that his interest rate and payment would be going up on such and such a date.   

Darlene is unemployed and needs Becky’s income  to afford the house. She has no idea where her finances will be in two years.  She may need Becky’s rent payment then too. All she had to say was ‘let’s discuss that when the time comes. I’m really proud of you for wanting your masters’.  
In addition why were Jackie, Becky, Darlene and Ben all   at Dan’s house anyway for every scene?  Darlene and Ben can just stay home if they want to be alone.   Becky is never there because she’s at Dan’s.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 13
3 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

The way Darlene initially turned down Becky was cruel and unnecessary….but then I would be annoyed too having the beer police up my ass whenever I had a drink, we would have nipped that shit in the bud from the giddyup!

Love you Louise but you and your husband’s financial situation is no one else’s business.  I was hoping that Dan had popped Smitty in his pathetic mouth.

Darlene missed an opportunity. She could have agreed to let Becky stay with the condition that she stop being the beer patrol. But this clan just doesn't think long term. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
21 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't understand why Darlene had issues with Becky living with her for 4 years instead of 2.  The excuse 'I want to start my life with Ben' doesnt make sense.  It's not like she wants more kids.  Harris doesn't live with her and Mark will be moving off to college in a few years.

It makes sense to me; I wouldn't want a third person living with me and my boyfriend either, and I don't have/never had kids. That said, why not just charge Becky less rent now and let her control what she saves to move out sooner?

Not quite understanding the "letters to my future self" part of the funeral service. Did the teacher's husband know in advance who would be attending? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Question, does the $6,000 mortgage payment mean that the house is finally paid off?

This is DAN CONNER we're talking about--it probably paid some of the 3rd mortgage. They were never too savvy about money and never thought about the future, constantly wasting money.  I said it before and I will say it again---Louise married a loser.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I wish someone would give me a $6000 check.   I embarrass myself for free almost every day. 
   Jackie was funny this episode.   It’s strange no one remembered her.  Wasn’t she suppose to be popular in high school ?

Ben and Darlene hopefully will learn from Dans mistakes. 

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

This is DAN CONNER we're talking about--it probably paid some of the 3rd mortgage. They were never too savvy about money and never thought about the future, constantly wasting money.  I said it before and I will say it again---Louise married a loser.

We've seen how the Conners manage bills. He clearly tossed the first 6 notices into the trash unopened.

• Like 12
  • LOL 2
On 1/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, greekmom said:

Meh episode.

Where the heck was Mark the whole episode?

I get it. Just because Darlene doesn't want more kids doesn't mean she doesn't want just her sibling living in the house long-term.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

The mortgage companies / banks do not retroactively raise your interest.  Dad would not owe $6000 for back interest.  He would have gotten a notice that his interest rate and payment would be going up on such and such a date.  

We've seen how the Conners manage bills. He clearly tossed the first 6 notices into the trash unopened.

Yeah. The only thing I could think of was that Dan kept sending in the old payment and it took this long to finally address the situation because he never paid attention to the fact that they had raised the monthly payment.

• Like 3

As soon as Dan said his “adjustable mortgage rate blew up” I knew this show would act like it was anywhere from a surprise to predatory lending. Then Katie Segal says “we were blindsided.” ARMs are pretty clear. And given how long they have lived there, Dan had to have done a relatively recent refi (cash out, probably) for that ARM… they tend to be at most 5 or perhaps 7 years. He did it to himself, as most people do.

Given how this family can never leave each other alone, what’s another 2 years with Becky?

• Like 7

I was more surprised by the fact that that many students would show up to a teacher's funeral 50-ish years later. I went to a teacher's service once, but I was 1 year out of high school so his (wonderful) impression on me was still fresh.

I root for Becky. I hope she finds her way.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, mythoughtis said:

Darlene is unemployed and needs Becky’s income  to afford the house. She has no idea where her finances will be in two years.  She may need Becky’s rent payment then too. All she had to say was ‘let’s discuss that when the time comes. I’m really proud of you for wanting your masters’.  
In addition why were Jackie, Becky, Darlene and Ben all   at Dan’s house anyway for every scene?  Darlene and Ben can just stay home if they want to be alone.   Becky is never there because she’s at Dan’s.   

On 1/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, iMonrey said:

Yeah. The only thing I could think of was that Dan kept sending in the old payment and it took this long to finally address the situation because he never paid attention to the fact that they had raised the monthly payment.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, Ottis said:

As soon as Dan said his “adjustable mortgage rate blew up” I knew this show would act like it was anywhere from a surprise to predatory lending. Then Katie Segal says “we were blindsided.” ARMs are pretty clear. And given how long they have lived there, Dan had to have done a relatively recent refi (cash out, probably) for that ARM… they tend to be at most 5 or perhaps 7 years. He did it to himself, as most people do.

All this is true.  They are implying that Dan has been sending in checks for the old amount for a long time, and ignoring all mail from the bank until Becky showed him the urgent notice.

Apparently they are too cheap to pay for wifi at the new house, although they are certainly paying for cable tv.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2023 at 5:51 PM, TattleTeeny said:

It makes sense to me; I wouldn't want a third person living with me and my boyfriend either, and I don't have/never had kids. That said, why not just charge Becky less rent now and let her control what she saves to move out sooner?

Because as Darlene said, Becky would buy Beverly Rose a tiara to go with her Uggs.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 1/19/2023 at 11:02 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

All this is true.  They are implying that Dan has been sending in checks for the old amount for a long time, and ignoring all mail from the bank until Becky showed him the urgent notice.

Apparently they are too cheap to pay for wifi at the new house, although they are certainly paying for cable tv.

Which means… the adjustable rate *didn’t* “blow up” (as Dan said) and they *weren’t* “blindsided” (as Katie Segal said). What happened was exactly what Dan agreed to, and given how long they have lived in that house and ARMs are usually only 3,5,7 years, he must have refinanced the house (probably taking cash out) to get the ARM. Whether Dan ignored the change and new bills isn’t relevant to how the show presented the problem, aside from the fact that ignoring it completed the trifecta of stupid. 

• Like 4

Loved this episode! A lot of Dan & Louise which was awesome although Louise's misstep about their financial issues wasn't something she should have told granted, but at least she felt horrible afterward and apologized, but Smitty didn't help that situation either by setting Dan up in the first place. I also did love how Louise was so protective of Dan and I hated Smitty's character so much! 

Edited by ESS
  • Like 1