Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Right Place/S05.E13: How Can I Help?

secnarf
  • Start Topic

Right Place:

Max and Wilder face a dilemma over approvals for a revolutionary cancer drug as Max learns a secret about his own bout with cancer. Reynolds goes the extra mile to correct a dire medical situation. Iggy tries desperately to help a woman in need.

How Can I Help?

Everyone's story reaches a surprising yet inevitable conclusion.

Original air date: Jan 17 2023 (series finale)

Kudos to NBC with the meta moment of having little Wilder emulate Doug Ross on Halloween. 

That was an interesting ending. At first I was like why didn’t the new medical director ever say her name? And oh she’s in scrubs just like Max? I’m dense like that. Then I got it LOL. 

I am guessing Wilder and Max did not stay together long term. She didn’t seem ready for any kind of long distance relationship or to move with him. Maybe they had a fling for a little while and that was it. 

I’m glad Iggy and Martin got back together. They should have never been broken up. 

• Like 4

That show was weird.  I wasn’t wild about the writing. The characters had potential and some were likable, but the writing just kept getting in the way.  Oh well, it’s finally over.  

What was wrong with the patient from Ukraine?

In the first episode, Bloom says she is trying to get to the apartment she wants to see before 9am, when they hitch the ride with the ambulance.  Exactly what time did that kid's birthday party with the guy who tried to juggle chainsaws start?  7am?  8am?  On what planet does some parent do that to themselves and other parents?

Then in the second episode, Bloom is working in finance in 2007/2008 when she has her I want to be a doctor epiphany.  Is it really possible that she graduated medical school, completed her residency and was head of the Emergency Department by the time we met her in 2018?  

Also, Iggy was flat out unethical with that homeless woman he tried to get into the Care program.  I have zero doubt that he was perfectly content to keep from her that to go into the program was to give up her rights, if he thought it would achieve the goal he decided was best for her.  I also wasn't sure how Martin went from rejecting Iggy's idea to start all over after their divorce last week to agreeing to start over this week.

Finally, Max getting a job handling global health at the WHO in Geneva.  LOL.  Right.              

Goodbye you terrible, yet mesmerizing show! 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I am guessing Wilder and Max did not stay together long term. She didn’t seem ready for any kind of long distance relationship or to move with him. Maybe they had a fling for a little while and that was it.

Max never really seemed to invest in his relationship with Wilder. I was not terribly surprised that he bailed on her with nothing more than "Hey, you can pine for me, or not, whatever, que sera, sera! Later!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

They brought back Daniel Dae Kim to stand in the OR for 30 seconds?  And New York ambulances are Ubers for doctors to see apartments?  And Helen Sharpe was demonized for breaking Max's heart?  And having done all there was to do for humanity, said Max had nowhere else to go but to Geneva to be global bladdyblah at WHO? I could go on and on.  And don't even get me started on all the ER personnel standing around for 20 hours watching 53 doctors do... something... to a lady from Ukraine with a bad rash...

Maddening how this show was destroyed.  Wish I could say I won't miss it 😔

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Bloom was working in finance, had her epiphany with the homeless man, did what she had to do to get into medical school, went through med school and residency and became head of the ER. I’m surprised she isn’t older than her age on the show be cause all of that takes a long time. 

• Useful 3

I clocked who she was the second she started talking to the security guard. Apparently, that "annoyingly earnest" gene runs strong in their bloodline. 😄

10 hours ago, Rammchick said:

They brought back Daniel Dae Kim to stand in the OR for 30 seconds?

I was half-watching while I worked today and missed him completely. Did he even have any lines?

• LOL 1

Didn't ER end with Mark Greene's daughter coming back to do her residency at County General.....which is pretty close to what we got only without everyone knowing and recognizing her!

The whole thing was goofy, but that's what happens when you try and wrap things up with a bow in half a season.

Then in the second episode, Bloom is working in finance in 2007/2008 when she has her I want to be a doctor epiphany.  Is it really possible that she graduated medical school, completed her residency and was head of the Emergency Department by the time we met her in 2018?

Yup.....all made no sense although if you were on Wall Street in 2008, you definitely did a LOT of drugs....both before and especially after the crash.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Didn't ER end with Mark Greene's daughter coming back to do her residency at County General.....which is pretty close to what we got only without everyone knowing and recognizing her!

The whole thing was goofy, but that's what happens when you try and wrap things up with a bow in half a season.

Yup.....all made no sense although if you were on Wall Street in 2008, you definitely did a LOT of drugs....both before and especially after the crash.

ER did end that way. Funny, since I read an interview with the New Amsterdam showrunner that he didn't kill Max because he didn't want to be like ER killing Mark Greene.

It kind of sucks that they spent the whole season building up Max and Elizabeth only to end with him being all, "I'm out."

When they did that lingering shot of Luna on Max's shoulder at the end, I realized they were going to make her the new medical director in the future. But she appears to be what, 3 or 4? Hard to believe she could have that many memories of her time at New Amsterdam. Especially since he speech made it sound like Max never did return.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, AriAu said:

I think she came back for Carter's opening of The Carter Center, and was considering attending med school at whatever school was associated with County when the show ended.  They did do something similar to this episode with a call back to the beginning where a big emergency comes in and Carter calls to Rachel to ask if she is coming, like Mark did with Carter in the first episode. 

8 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It kind of sucks that they spent the whole season building up Max and Elizabeth only to end with him being all, "I'm out."

It was ridiculous because only a few episodes ago he made a huge deal of how he was done with Helen and now devoted to Wilder.           

• Like 2

Guys... it's time. The series is over and now I have to watch the finale so I can write the last two Worst Doctor Of The Week EVER!

I think I might miss this bad show, hopefully there will be a good hatewatch next season that all of us can enjoy together!

Let's start with episode 12, the penultimate WORST DOCTOR OF THE WEEK!

oh right I forgot Iggy did that stupid "hey we're divorced let's go on a date" thing

wait so everyone is going to end up paired at the end except for Bloom? I mean, hey, everyone doesn't have to be paired up - but will she be the only one alone at the end of the series? Or will her girlfriend reappear and they'll have a fun time

max and awesome deaf doctor, why do you keep acting like horny teenagers - you should've expected her interpreter to check to make sure his client was okay, and now you're making out in The Medical Supply Closet Of Kissing that exists in every medical show.

ok now a stairwell? are they making a point out of getting caught? is this their kink? AN ELEVATOR? SERIOUSLY?

The morgue? what..... why

JUST GO TO MAX'S OFFICE! HE PROBABLY HAS HIS OWN BATHROOM THERE

okay, only 2 minutes in so far and I have this much? That means I am going to love this episode!

oh great, now it's Reynolds making out with travel nurse

so will any of the last two episodes have one of these tropes:
1. Character leaves for somewhere far away
2. Last minute wedding
3. One of the leads gets sick and the rest of them have to save them, then happily ever after

wtf travel nurse you don't list someone as a reference without telling them first

oh my god iggy you are so annoying with this fresh start thing, it cannot be a healthy thing psychologically

hey, it's awesome nurse!

but I do not think sanitizing your hand, then slapping another person's hand afterwards is a good way to do anything

bloom why did you sell that apartment? why are you heading to an open house AFTER SELLING YOUR PLACE

bloom how would you not know that you would not arrive at battery park before your appointment time

AND WHY ARE YOU MISUSING AN EMERGENCY VEHICLE, bet they're gonna have to go to a call on the way there

hey, iggy is helping the homeless person!

uh oh, is he going to get a conservator appointed for her?

ha ha, they have to go somewhere

oh look, max is going to give a speech

..a cure for "Bulky Large Cell Lymphoma?" yeaaah that isn't a cancer - there's Large B-Cell lymphoma and it can present as bulky disease, but there isn't a bulky large cell lymphoma

also, I am calling it out - that drug company is gonna be sketchy

haha called it

also, wait, how wasn't it vetted before this deal jesus christ how bad are the lawyers and board and doctors at New Amsterdam that it wasn't discovered until the celebration

i bet bloom stitching the guy up is gonna end badly

bloom just take a cab at this point, don't think about diverting the ambulance - oh good, she didn't

okay - I get being worried about the drug on non-white populations, but uhhh it won't be another thalidomide because everyone on chemo is told "DON'T HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS"

Reynolds patient plotline is just a bit annoying so far

and NURSE WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST THE ILLEGALLY PROCURED ORGAN BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN DESTROYED

so, uh, iggy you're trying to get this woman a conservatorship without even explaining first that you are going to strip her of her rights? You're not even doing any evaluations to prove to the court that she is incapable?

that did *not* look like a good way to be carrying a guy with a potential spinal injury, you shouldn't be bending him!

So the talking about race made me look up my own clinical trial that I am in - as of the last update (December 2021), there were 106 people in it - 84 white, 10 black, 6 asian, 7 unknown. It's a phase 2 trial for a drug that is already being used on other diseases, so my trial might be an aberration, but it sounds like it could be close to the norm

so Sharpe was the head of oncology for, what, 4 years? How did a drug go from phase 1 to almost FDA approval in that time? I am pretty sure to takes something like 10 years or so for a new drug to go that far.

so is it even legal for Bloom and best nurse to be working on the patient in the back? I bet a paramedic is required.

so bloom, while you are trying to macgyver someone, the nurse said chest compressions need to be started... are you just letting this man die while you tear things out of the ambulance?

i really doubt that flexible piece of metal is strong enough to hold the guy's chest open, and isn't a retractor normally two pieces of metal?

hey, that's a good advocate - actually ADVOCATING for the woman!

iggy, someone is allowed to drink themselves to death if they want - there's no way for you to help everyone and you should know that as a therapist

wait, reynolds, your plan was to PUT THE ORGAN BACK IN THE PERSON IT WAS TAKEN FROM? HOW WOULD THAT EVEN WORK

wait wait wait, WHAT? The trial started three years ago? HOW IS THIS READY TO GO TO MARKET

so Sharpe approved these demographics in case Max's cancer recurred? Thyroid cancer is nothing like Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma! Especially since drug company guy said it is targeted for the markers of the lymphoma!

thought that just came to my head during wilder + max's ethics conversation - "Wow, Max sure has a thing for oncologists!"

no homeless woman, Iggy is not a good guy - he tried to have you involuntarily committed

the advocate is the most ethical person in this episode, he acknowledges that people have rights!

reynolds, why did you speak that whole introduction at the guy and THEN ask him if he speaks English?

so, uhh, Bloom, you can't renovate that place

at least she'll have a bunch of money left over after selling that gigantic apartment of hers?

wait, the nurse is leaving for her next job TOMORROW and Reynolds was just called as a reference?

iggy's plot is so grati-- THANK YOU MARTIN FOR TELLING HIM TO STOP

..you don't know how else to do it other than be incredibly annoying? Really?

Okay, so who is the worst doctor of the penultimate episode? It's obvious: it's Dr. Ignatius Frome! He was horrible in all aspects of this episode!

--

So that means... it's time to start the finale! Who will be the worst doctor of the final episode of the final season? I'm going to shoot from the hip and go for a classic: Dr. Max Goodwin. Let's see if any of my predictions will come true!

Also, are we going to see Luna?

okay, guessing this little kid is Max and that is his sister - I am surprised that the show even remembered he had a sister!

...Really? His full name is Maximus?

him hearing "How I can help?" from a random person when he was a kid reeks of This Is Us (in a bad way)

Hey! It's Luna! And Awesome Deaf Doctor is holding her? Why is luna at a work meeting

wait, max, you never thought you'd be saying goodbye to them? you literally left them a year ago to go to England

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WHO IS TAKING MAX TO RUN SOMETHING FOR THEM? oh my god they are in for a treat

so how much of a time skip was this? A couple of months, at least - has to be

I'm guessing running woman is the new medical director - actor looks sort of familiar - might just have one of those faces, though

Okay, i'm guessing enlarged spleen patient is going to end up having cancer based on the splenomegaly and the paleness, probably anemia of some kind due to the cancer

yup, they are checking for cancer - let's see if the show portrays a BMB properly! 

NOPE - the patient shouldn't be on her side. I have had three bone marrow biopsies and I have had to lie flat on the bed each time since YOU'RE GETTING YOUR BONE DRILLED AND THEN A NEEDLE IN YOU, NOBODY CAN STAY STILL

HLH is rare, I think it's like 1 in a million? I was just thinking "well that isn't too rare!" - but I am skewed by having a cancer that is 0.2 to 0.7 in 1 million, soooo

aaand of course they had to summon max

Bloom used to be in finance? So this is 2008, and by 2018 she had been the head of the ER for a little while? what

shouldn't you get social services down there? or, uh, Iggy I guess? to help the mute kid?

there we go

Iggy knows exactly what to do? oh no, what kind of horrfiyingly bad thing is iggy going to do

wait why couldn't max just tell them over the phone to give her some MTX

max you aren't Dr. House, how did you identify it immediately

see, reynolds impetus for becoming a doctor makes more sense - he wanted to fix things

MAX YOU DON'T NEED TO BE PRESENT FOR WHAT IS PROBABLY AN INCREDIBLY LONG SURGERY - DO SOMETHING NICE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER oh ok it's a practice

...how are you going to replace the aorta while it is beating, reynolds?

iggy, ignoring him for 2-3 hours won't cure a year's worth of selective mutism

"I hate New Amsterdam" - Luna - Luna, I wouldn't say I hate it, just that i hate watch it!

uhhh max, I don't think she is stable enough for surgery with a BP of 40/30

oh, fun, Iggy was a good listener as a child and became a therapist because of that

being a good listener does not a therapist make

Iggy acknowledges it isn't working? iggy has had some growth! oh wait now he's relating it to himself

iggy, a quarter will not buy anything in that vending machine

max, you do not need to be there as a scorekeeper - a nurse can do that. go keep your promse to your daughter

wait did they get daniel dae kim to reprise a role for a character whose backstory we never really got because of the unaired episode that "hit too close to home" during COVID? why do we need this, we have no attachment to the character 

hey it's dr neurologist, i guess she's a neurosurgeon now

can we have the ghost of kapoor now

yay more dramatic surgery montage 

max why did you remove your mask in the OR

so why do they even have new medical director in this episode, she seems to pretty much be a waste so far

hey maybe she'll go into cardiac arrest and have her heart stop - then reynolds can replace the aorta really quickly

okay, i liked wilder's flashback - I wonder if the child actress actually knows/speaks ASL, like Sandra Mae Frank?

wait - the clock on the wall says 14:50 - the surgery has been going on for 14 hours and 50 minutes, according to the timer. So did they start the surgery at midnight?

max, that is why you shouldn't question your surgeons - she found the thrombosis

oh look, the kid now speaks after spending time with iggy

patient, why are you thanking the man who brought your son to your room? you do not know who he is

oh look, bloom ran into her sister

why did they even start that plotline this late in the show

SAME WITH REYNOLDS AND HIS DAD - HOW DID HIS MOM FORGIVE HIM AFTER EVERYTHING HE DID TO HIS FAMILY AND ABANDONING HER FOR DECADES?

AND LOOK! I CALLED IT! SURPRISE WEDDING!

i think this might be the first time we've really ever fully seen iggy's kids - we've seen them sitting down, we've heard them talking, but never really had them on screen for more than a couple of seconds

and wilder has the booze, of course she keeps the booze

so wait

HOW IS ALL OF THIS HAPPENING IN THE SAME DAY? Iggy and his husband just decide to get married and have their kids get all dressed up for an on the spot wedding, Reynolds has a dinner with his family, and now Max and Wilder are having work drinks? Didn't the new medical director say she wanted to see every department head at 6 PM?

calling it now, she is going to say "How can I help?" to the assembled department heads. this also cannot be the same day at all - is this the future?

wait so she's not coming with Max and Luna - so is Max going to commute to NYC and she to Switzerland? I mean LymphCon is in Switzerland, so she can go for work (Yes, LymphCon is a real convention. CancerCon is also a real convention!).

so you're just breaking up with her? shouldn't you guys have discussed this well in advance?

max i don't think you can give your keys to a random doctor, i think you need to hand those in

luna is such a resourceful child, she found a pillow and blanket to sleep under a desk with and made herself a veritable fort

max, I bet luna will remember this day

oh, it's slow motion, we're getting a flashforward to the hospital in the future - that new medical director is Luna, isn't it? Oh you show, playing around with us!

AND THE MEDICAL DIRECTOR IS LUNA

Okay - that finale was honestly probably one of the best episodes we have gotten in seasons - it was hokey and a bit odd at parts, but it was a good finale for a show that went downhill faster than a wheel of cheese at the cheese rolling contest in England.

So, who's the worst doctor? Nobody was atrociously bad, but how about I end the series on a good win (ha ha get it), Dr. Maximus Leonard Goodwin!

This show has been fun to hatewatch with you guys - doing Worst Doctor of the Week was a fun way for me to get through second line chemo (oooh and I posted one worst doctor on pain pills after a bone marrow biopsy - that was a fun one). I hope next season a bad, but not too bad, medical show gets picked up that all of us can hate watch once more!

and I don't think NBC will renew a scripted show for 3 seasons in the middle of its second season ever again - my god, the ratings tanked

Edited by bros402
  • Like 6
  • Applause 6

That was a weird finale but with this show, not really surprising. Not enraging as usual, but too soapy.

Luna was supposed to be 5 - although she acts younger - so I doubt she remembers her last day in NA. I once asked my niece who was five when she visited me and there was a quite big event if she remembered certain things and she had an outline, but not vivid memories of everything. Adult Luna might know the story but probably not her own memory. But that's just a detail

Iggy, you suck. Glad the woman didn't lose her rights. What a state of dehumanization where someone who has a savior complex can request the courts to take someone's rights away. Carla (?) is not the problem. The system is. If the only way to help someone is by denying basic choices, we are truly doomed as a species. It is sad she would die but she wasn't hurting anyone. Didn't Iggy and Martin have 4 kids? I thought it was 4 but maybe it was the baby they never adopted?

Peeve: adults acting like tweens because they have to kiss all the time. Seriously? Max and Wilder were so ridiculous and infantile. I never thought those two had any chemistry and she looks like she is 15, not convincing as a top whatever doctor she is - because in this show all the doctors were specialist in all the areas.

• Like 1

I haven't watched this show much since Helen and Max got together, too soapy and syrupy but I did watch a bit this year. Final show was nice to me because I'm a BIG ER fan (rewatched it 2 years ago on HULU) and the shoutout to George and Luna coming like Greene's daughter Rachel did to his hospital was nice. To younger viewers it meant nothing.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

ER did end that way. Funny, since I read an interview with the New Amsterdam showrunner that he didn't kill Max because he didn't want to be like ER killing Mark Greene.

When they did that lingering shot of Luna on Max's shoulder at the end, I realized they were going to make her the new medical director in the future. But she appears to be what, 3 or 4? Hard to believe she could have that many memories of her time at New Amsterdam. Especially since he speech made it sound like Max never did return.

Why wouldn't Max be there when his only daughter takes over his old hospital though? I would think nothing would keep him away or she would say something about him now.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That was the moment I realized it, too. Until then, I was annoyed that a new character was being introduced on the last show! Then I thought, "Dang!", because I usually pride myself on figuring out that kind of thing much earlier. Nice twist, Show.

I liked the ending. It was well past time for the show to be over, and I appreciated the happy endings. I just wish they had given Casey a nice wrap up. He was seriously my favorite character.

• Like 3

@bros402This has certainly been fun. I almost wish I had the patience to watch all of ER again to pick worst doctor out there, but I skip the later seasons now. Don’t have patience to do it for 331 episodes. 😂

Chicago Med I’d say would be a good hate watch but I quit that before S1 was even over. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Chicago Med I’d say would be a good hate watch but I quit that before S1 was even over.

They got rid of some of the annoying cast that was dragging the show down, and the writing has been much better this season. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I couldn't watch C Med after season 2, I had high hopes with Oliver Platt (some of his episodes were okay) but the soap opera with the rest, over the top hysteria and drama. It all seemed so fake, something I didn't think about watching ER even later. The quality of some of their scripts was so much better. CM was more like late ER but even then they had some scripts that were better. I heard it got better but I suppose they lost some fans in the interim. I wanted to bond with them the way I did with the cast on ER but that was special and they wont replicate it.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

Was there a time jump somewhere? It went from first date in 12 for Iggy to marrying in 13. Same with Max and Wilder, it went from major relationship to bye see ya.  I all  but expect in the ending scene for them to point out Helen and Max reunited later. 

It was a good happy ending for all, glad they got to do that but it did seem rushed and all over the place. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

That was a weird finale but with this show, not really surprising. Not enraging as usual, but too soapy.

Luna was supposed to be 5 - although she acts younger - so I doubt she remembers her last day in NA. I once asked my niece who was five when she visited me and there was a quite big event if she remembered certain things and she had an outline, but not vivid memories of everything. Adult Luna might know the story but probably not her own memory. But that's just a detail

Iggy, you suck. Glad the woman didn't lose her rights. What a state of dehumanization where someone who has a savior complex can request the courts to take someone's rights away. Carla (?) is not the problem. The system is. If the only way to help someone is by denying basic choices, we are truly doomed as a species. It is sad she would die but she wasn't hurting anyone. Didn't Iggy and Martin have 4 kids? I thought it was 4 but maybe it was the baby they never adopted?

Peeve: adults acting like tweens because they have to kiss all the time. Seriously? Max and Wilder were so ridiculous and infantile. I never thought those two had any chemistry and she looks like she is 15, not convincing as a top whatever doctor she is - because in this show all the doctors were specialist in all the areas.

I was thinking "Wait, don't they have 4 kids" during that scene too!

14 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

@bros402This has certainly been fun. I almost wish I had the patience to watch all of ER again to pick worst doctor out there, but I skip the later seasons now. Don’t have patience to do it for 331 episodes. 😂

I have heard horrible things about Chicago Med - apparently a recent episode had a character try to kill her kid with autism because he had autism. None of the characters were like "what the hell why did you try to murer your child" - they were just like "well we'll help you find a home for him since you are dying"

Do it, watch ER and come up with a worst doctor!

This was definitely fun - especially after season 4 being so very bad

• Like 1

So, as soon as Max leaves the hospital, everyone gets their personal lives together. I’m sure that’s merely a coincidence.

How much did they pay DDK for a wordless, thirty second cameo?

When future Luna walked into her office, she had a circa 2020’s computer monitor on her desk. I thought we’d have Minority Report type air swiping screens by then.

I would assume the WHO has hundreds of qualified candidates for that job both internally and from doctors holding similar positions in other nations. Bet they never dreamed that St Max would fall into their laps like that. He’s such a chaos junkie he could start WWIII from Geneva.

Of course, the only thing more unbelievable than Max at the WHO is an early 30’s Luna leading NA. Did you know it’s the country’s oldest and largest public hospital?

1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I would assume the WHO has hundreds of qualified candidates for that job both internally and from doctors holding similar positions in other nations

I don't know the process for hiring but I know that one needs to invest a lot of time and energy to get there, a lot of research and published work. I have a relative that has been working for the WHO for at least two decades and it is not just having ideas. It is also an unofficial political organization and Max would not survive there, let alone be invited to be part of it

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Based on how they handled Freema's "return" in earlier episodes, I'm wondering if that was unused DDK footage from his episode that never aired. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/19/2023 at 5:03 AM, debraran said:

Why wouldn't Max be there when his only daughter takes over his old hospital though? I would think nothing would keep him away or she would say something about him now.

Yes, that would have been a nice way to keep him in the last scene.

I saw an interview with the writers who were asked if Max and Elizabeth were supposed to have stayed together. He gave the bullshit "that's up to you to decide answer." But he did say they filmed something answering that question, so maybe there was originally going to be a shot of Max and Elizabeth both watching? I did notice there was an interpreter doing ASL of future Luna's talk. 

Not sure why they would cut a scene like that if they filmed it though.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, Artsda said:

Was there a time jump somewhere? It went from first date in 12 for Iggy to marrying in 13. Same with Max and Wilder, it went from major relationship to bye see ya.  I all  but expect in the ending scene for them to point out Helen and Max reunited later. 

It was a good happy ending for all, glad they got to do that but it did seem rushed and all over the place. 

I was thinking maybe some of those scenes were flashforwards showing what happened to people after that day in the hospital?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

So, as soon as Max leaves the hospital, everyone gets their personal lives together. I’m sure that’s merely a coincidence.

When future Luna walked into her office, she had a circa 2020’s computer monitor on her desk. I thought we’d have Minority Report type air swiping screens by then.

I would assume the WHO has hundreds of qualified candidates for that job both internally and from doctors holding similar positions in other nations. Bet they never dreamed that St Max would fall into their laps like that. He’s such a chaos junkie he could start WWIII from Geneva.

Of course, the only thing more unbelievable than Max at the WHO is an early 30’s Luna leading NA. Did you know it’s the country’s oldest and largest public hospital?

I didn't pay attention to the camera angle they had Daniel Dae Kim at, so they might've just spliced in footage from the unaired episode. They might've just had a body double and used footage for the scene of him removing his mask.

Max is such a chaotic force that he would make Switzerland start WW3.

Obviously Dr. Luna is Super Duper Special And Everyone Loves Her. That's how she became the medical director.

• LOL 3

I guess the best that can be said is that they seemed to tone down the annoying intrusive background music and now the cast is free to take other projects.  They must be thrilled, though I realize a steady paycheck is a good thing.  

15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess the best that can be said is that they seemed to tone down the annoying intrusive background music and now the cast is free to take other projects.  They must be thrilled, though I realize a steady paycheck is a good thing.  

Yesssssssssssss I loved that they got rid of that annoying jazz-y background music for the final season. That music literally made me nauseous sometimes when I was on my treatment from Feb 2020-June 2020 - I had to wait to watch the show until it was a day where my stomach was settled, because I didn't know if the background music would appear.

The weirdest thing about this episode was how tacked on the resolution to the plots for Iggy, Reynolds, and Bloom felt. They could've literally not done the Bloom or Reynolds plots this season and it still would've been fine. They had to do Iggy's plot, but in this episode it gave strong "we learned we were cancelled while writing this episode so we tacked this on" energy - even though we know that isn't the case.

You think when Medical Director Luna was giving her speech, we'd see some of the characters, but older. Even if it wasn't all of the leads, it could've been the short guy running the ED, Awesome Neuro Doc running neurology, and maybe kept some like Wilder running oncology (although, tbh, by then I bet she had gone to that deaf medical school to teach)

• Like 2

Welp, I did not find this satisfying. 

Since the show blew it with Helen by not making sure that Freema was locked in until the end, I figured we'd get a happy ending for Max and Elizabeth. Nope! He left, and there was no sign of Max, let alone Max & Elizabeth, in the future. Maybe they reconnected, maybe not, maybe Max freaking died...who knows? 

Me seeing Daniel Dae Kim: "Oh, I guess he was on this show at some point?" I really like the actor but do not remember him at all, for some reason.

I did not need to see why everyone decided to become a doctor. That was time wasted that could have been spent showing me what future Max (& others) were up to.

Casey was great, and I'll never understand why the show never utilized him more. 

I really enjoy Ryan Eggold and hope he gets cast in a great show ASAP. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Welp, I did not find this satisfying. 

Since the show blew it with Helen by not making sure that Freema was locked in until the end, I figured we'd get a happy ending for Max and Elizabeth. Nope! He left, and there was no sign of Max, let alone Max & Elizabeth, in the future. Maybe they reconnected, maybe not, maybe Max freaking died...who knows? 

Me seeing Daniel Dae Kim: "Oh, I guess he was on this show at some point?" I really like the actor but do not remember him at all, for some reason.

I did not need to see why everyone decided to become a doctor. That was time wasted that could have been spent showing me what future Max (& others) were up to.

Casey was great, and I'll never understand why the show never utilized him more. 

I really enjoy Ryan Eggold and hope he gets cast in a great show ASAP. 

Daniel Dae Kim was on an episode about 4-6 weeks into the lockdowns - he was supposed to be on at least two episodes as an infectious disease doctor, but they never released his first episode as they felt it hit "too close to home"

Also, yes, Casey was probably the best character on this show.

• Like 2
On 1/19/2023 at 12:59 AM, bros402 said:

bloom just take a cab at this point, don't think about diverting the ambulance - oh good, she didn't

First off, most of the streets were empty.  And if traffic is that bad, take the subway.  At least you will get there.  Stupid NY story line.  And yeah, who has juggling chain saw clowns for an 8am birthday party?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jabRI said:

First off, most of the streets were empty.  And if traffic is that bad, take the subway.  At least you will get there.  Stupid NY story line.  And yeah, who has juggling chain saw clowns for an 8am birthday party?

Yeah, it's like the writers have never been to the city.

Tbh I didn't think of the subway because i've never taken it. I've only done NJ Transit and cabs.

Now that I think about it, it is odd.  I don't think they ever had any subway scenes in the whole series, not even a 'crisis' scene.  In other ways, they portrayed NYC fairly well over the years.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, jabRI said:

Now that I think about it, it is odd.  I don't think they ever had any subway scenes in the whole series, not even a 'crisis' scene.  In other ways, they portrayed NYC fairly well over the years.

Yeah, it was a decent alternate NYC

E11

Were they not using the siren in traffic?

Iggy and Martin might consider couples therapy as how you fix a marriage. You'd think two shrinks might consider that at least a possible approach. I guess it's not as cinematic as roller skating. But I would not want to be married to Iggy and his juvenile stunts.

I was surprised Karen saw Max and Elizabeth in the elevator and didn't have an issue with him dating a subordinate, but I guess they didn't want to air the issue of HR ethics. If they didn't do it when he dated Helen, of course they won't do it when they have him dating Eliz.

I actually like that neither of them would abandon ethics and that they both put being doctors first. I think it dos make them a better match. But it looked to me like Wilder didn't agree.

Temperament is everything.

I thought Floyd was going to go to Tanzania to be with travel nurse, but I guess they already had him follow someone to a distant location, and he boomeranged back to New Amsterdam. Is she going to give up her lifestyle for him this time? I would rather not see that happen but I don't write for tv.

I very much agreed with the advocate that the woman should be allowed to make her own decision and that she deserved informed consent to do it, which Iggy clearly was trying to deceive her and keep her from having. Iggy was never curious about why she wanted her freedom more than anything. Like Floyd, he just wanted her to do what he thought was best. If he really wanted to help her, he would have spent time trying to understand her on her terms. But as usual, it was more of an ego trip than an authentic conversation. Also, he disclosed her medical history to the cops. And it's really annoying that w don't help people without punishing and threatening them. Maybe if folks felt genuinely respected, they'd be more receptive to participating in or trusting "the system". But earning trust has never been part of the process. It's always about domination and control.

E12

Well, color me surprised. I liked this episode. Yes, it was trope-heavy. I don't know why that didn't bother me more. Unearned resolutions for Iggy and Martin (and where was their 4th child? I was certain thy had 4!), I dunno... I like origin stories, even if the timeline doesn't really work. I would have liked seeing some of those stories earlier instead of at the finale. But I can live with it.

I think maybe Max giving Eliz his key is because she was taking over his job. Later, New Director Luna is taking over-- but that's what? at least 30 years later.

The Ukrainian mom had brucellosis. It's an infection. I didn't really understand why she needed surgery and not antibiotics.

I'm telling myself I'm going to finish the two books I've been trying to read before I get into bingeing another multi-season tv show, but we'll see how my eyes hold up under the pressure.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

E11

Were they not using the siren in traffic?

Iggy and Martin might consider couples therapy as how you fix a marriage. You'd think two shrinks might consider that at least a possible approach. I guess it's not as cinematic as roller skating. But I would not want to be married to Iggy and his juvenile stunts.

I was surprised Karen saw Max and Elizabeth in the elevator and didn't have an issue with him dating a subordinate, but I guess they didn't want to air the issue of HR ethics. If they didn't do it when he dated Helen, of course they won't do it when they have him dating Eliz.

I actually like that neither of them would abandon ethics and that they both put being doctors first. I think it dos make them a better match. But it looked to me like Wilder didn't agree.

Temperament is everything.

I thought Floyd was going to go to Tanzania to be with travel nurse, but I guess they already had him follow someone to a distant location, and he boomeranged back to New Amsterdam. Is she going to give up her lifestyle for him this time? I would rather not see that happen but I don't write for tv.

I very much agreed with the advocate that the woman should be allowed to make her own decision and that she deserved informed consent to do it, which Iggy clearly was trying to deceive her and keep her from having. Iggy was never curious about why she wanted her freedom more than anything. Like Floyd, he just wanted her to do what he thought was best. If he really wanted to help her, he would have spent time trying to understand her on her terms. But as usual, it was more of an ego trip than an authentic conversation. Also, he disclosed her medical history to the cops. And it's really annoying that w don't help people without punishing and threatening them. Maybe if folks felt genuinely respected, they'd be more receptive to participating in or trusting "the system". But earning trust has never been part of the process. It's always about domination and control.

E12

Well, color me surprised. I liked this episode. Yes, it was trope-heavy. I don't know why that didn't bother me more. Unearned resolutions for Iggy and Martin (and where was their 4th child? I was certain thy had 4!), I dunno... I like origin stories, even if the timeline doesn't really work. I would have liked seeing some of those stories earlier instead of at the finale. But I can live with it.

I think maybe Max giving Eliz his key is because she was taking over his job. Later, New Director Luna is taking over-- but that's what? at least 30 years later.

The Ukrainian mom had brucellosis. It's an infection. I didn't really understand why she needed surgery and not antibiotics.

I'm telling myself I'm going to finish the two books I've been trying to read before I get into bingeing another multi-season tv show, but we'll see how my eyes hold up under the pressure.

yesss you finally finished it!

The finale was honestly probably the best episode the show had since season 3.

What books are you trying to read - and do you need suggestions for shows to watch?

If you haven't watched them already, check out:
Single Drunk Female
Everything's Gonna Be Okay
Ted Lasso
Person of Interest

I'm reading a book about Menopause ("The Menopause Manifesto" by Jen Gunther) and "Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses" by Robin Wall Kimmerer.  I have eclectic tastes....

I love Everything's Gonna Be Okay and I like Ted Lasso a lot, though I think I've only seen thee first season of TL because I don't have whatever service it streams on right now. I caught some of POI but didn't hear about it til it was almost over, so I've only seen some of the final season. I have not seen SDF.

I do think I will try to find something I like for my next binge! I will PM you when I decide what it will be.

I'm kind of sad NA is over. I got really caught up in it, when I liked it and when I didn't. So I guess I'm a sucker and/or they were doing something right... probably a little of both.

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm reading a book about Menopause ("The Menopause Manifesto" by Jen Gunther) and "Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses" by Robin Wall Kimmerer.  I have eclectic tastes....

I love Everything's Gonna Be Okay and I like Ted Lasso a lot, though I think I've only seen thee first season of TL because I don't have whatever service it streams on right now. I caught some of POI but didn't hear about it til it was almost over, so I've only seen some of the final season. I have not seen SDF.

I do think I will try to find something I like for my next binge! I will PM you when I decide what it will be.

I'm kind of sad NA is over. I got really caught up in it, when I liked it and when I didn't. So I guess I'm a sucker and/or they were doing something right... probably a little of both.

I wish Everything's Gonna Be Okay hadn't been cancelled - that was such a fun show.

Well there might be some medical shows next season that could be a fun watch - there's been a few medical pilots ordered that could be..... something. It looks like The Resident is cancelled, so the only medical show standing of the ones I currently watch, The Good Doctor, will need some other shows in the "Hatewatch to okay" range.

Ted Lasso is on Apple TV+ - season 3 starts to release on Wednesday (1 episode a week - 12 episodes for the season).

Definitely watch Person of Interest - it's a good sci-fi show that goes from procedural to serialized.

Single Drunk Female is on Freeform and it is a comedy about a 28 year old woman (Sofia Black-D'Elia) who is an alcoholic who moves back in with her mother (Ally Sheedy) after rehab - she has to try to get her life back together while staying sober. Season 2 premieres on Freeform April 12th, with all of the episodes released on Hulu April 13th.

If you haven't seen For All Mankind, it is also on Apple TV+ - it's an alternate history where the Space Race never stopped. It gets a bit soap opera-y at times (with one secondary plot in season 2 that I have never met anyone online who liked it), but it has three seasons and ranges from decent to great.

• Useful 1
On 1/20/2023 at 6:35 AM, circumvent said:

I don't know the process for hiring but I know that one needs to invest a lot of time and energy to get there, a lot of research and published work. I have a relative that has been working for the WHO for at least two decades and it is not just having ideas. It is also an unofficial political organization and Max would not survive there, let alone be invited to be part of it

Max cured cancer (if you ignore that he had nothing to do with the trial and that they only tested on white people), that's got to count for something.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, possibilities said:

E11

To be fair, I think dating Max is in the job description for the Head of Oncology at NA.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, possibilities said:

E12

That's what I thought too, once it was revealed that Luna was in a way future timeline.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2023 at 5:21 PM, KaveDweller said:

I was thinking maybe some of those scenes were flashforwards showing what happened to people after that day in the hospital?

That's how I made it make sense too.  The scenes were at some undetermined time in the future - after Max left, but before he started the next world war.

(edited)
8 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That's how I made it make sense too.  The scenes were at some undetermined time in the future - after Max left, but before he started the next world war.

He started it and ended WW3 with the same four words: "How can I help?"

It's why he isn't in the future scenes - he's in The Hague for his crimes against humanity.

Edited by bros402
  • LOL 2