Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Missteps

• Start Topic

I really wish they wouldn't equivocate when it comes to drunk drivers. That's probably not the right word, but if you watch the segment, there's a lot of Gayle talking about what a good guy Justin is (sure, whatever) and that he's not irresponsible (facts not in evidence), and her colleagues talk about how we all know people who drive when they probably shouldn't as if driving drunk is some kind of universal human experience.  And hey, he's just human. 

It's only after all that do they tack on "of course there's no excuse for driving drunk."  I may even get wanting to support friends who get into legal trouble, but I don't think the place for that is on your TV news show, which will likely have local news segments at half past the hour that cover things like fatal drunk driving accidents. 

I'm not saying he has to be shunned forever but he certainly doesn't need a soft landing nor does society at large when it comes to driving drunk.

Maybe save that for private communication.  Although, I certainly didn't boost up the one person I do know who got arrested for a DUI.  I let them know they were lucky they got stopped before they did real damage.

• Like 7
  • Applause 14
(edited)
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

Miss King, this is definitely one of those times it would have been better not to have said anything on the air and let the viewers assume that one actually wasn't trying to blow off the seriousness and possible consequences to the driver and others on the road re drunk driving than to have spelled it out on the air. You had the guts to not let R. Kelly intimidate you to try to get you to back down from asking the needed questions so why did you go out of your way to chime in and  cheer on Timberlake? Do you think he should have gotten no legal consequences for allegedly driving drunk?  Would you say the same if he'd been a non-celeb? If you don't consider  someone drinking to excess then getting behind the wheel of a multi-thousand pound wheeled vehicle instead of having someone else drive them to be 'wreckless' , then what would they have to do to fit your definition of the term?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2

Alcohol impairs judgement.  You can be the most levelheaded person, but after a few drinks......  His judgement was impaired and he made a bad decision.  Fortunately no one was hurt.  It's not a sign that he's an asshole.  He shouldn't be "cancelled".  He should pay his fine, assess and perhaps refine his drinking habits, and learn from the experience.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

Alcohol impairs judgement.  You can be the most levelheaded person, but after a few drinks......  His judgement was impaired and he made a bad decision.  Fortunately no one was hurt.  It's not a sign that he's an asshole.  He shouldn't be "cancelled".  He should pay his fine, assess and perhaps refine his drinking habits, and learn from the experience.   

If you have evidence that this had been Mr. Timerlake's very first consumption of alcohol, please share that with us.

Otherwise,  if he previously had consumed alcohol, he KNEW what it did to his system and therefore needs to be held accountable for not having gotten a sober driver to chauffeur him and/or his vehicle when he himself wasn't sober- which is WHY there are laws on the books to deal with these actions that need to be enforced for ALL folks who there is evidence that they opted to drive drunk instead of seeking a sober ride. It was via the Grace of God and/or sheer luck that no one else got hurt and NOT due to any actions on Mr. Timberlake's part if he drove drunk.

There have been quite a few other signs  down the decades that he's not the most pleasant or likable person one could encounter (and I never patronized him in the first place so no way can I 'cancel' him now)  but his allegedly having chosen to drive drunk  [IF this was not his very first consumption of alcohol] instead of seeking out a sober driver DOES add credence that he couldn't have cared less about the risks to others on the road.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 9
On 6/19/2024 at 4:16 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Has anyone been following the story about Howie Mandel and his wife's bloody head injuries allegedly from a fall in her hotel after she took too many gummies?  What do we think about this?  Is this true or are they hiding something?   She looks really awful.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/18/howie-mandel-wife-accident-las-vegas-weed-gummies-tipsy-hotel/

He was on Kelly and Mark last week and told the story, with his wife’s permission. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

He was on Kelly and Mark last week and told the story, with his wife’s permission. 

Did she give notarized or video authorization of it or did Mr. Mandel merely verbally CLAIM Mrs. Mandel had given her spouse permission to make those claims  re how she got her injuries on the air?  That makes a difference.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

He is denying it, saying he is going to fight it but also refused to take a BAL test so I’m not particularly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Particularly with witness reports that he is flat out lying. And now there was a tabloid story painting the cop who stopped him as an overzealous, stickler for the rules who treated Timberlake unfairly. 

To me, it’s paints a picture of an asshole. But there is zero chance that he is going to be “cancelled” over this. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Add Justin Timberlake to Kathleen Madigan's joke from about 15 years ago, about the options rich people have to avoid driving if they're drunk:

• Like 5
  • Applause 11

A lot of otherwise good people seem to DUI. I don't like to define people by their worst moments, but it is astonishing to me how many people get behind the wheel drunk. I don't find drinking appealing at all, and I wish it weren't such a big part of so many cultures. That said, do whatever you want with your own body. Do NOT drive when you can kill or horribly injure someone. I really wish something would be done so we didn't have all these irresponsible drivers out there. Very disappointed in JT, and I'm someone who usually thinks people should give him more grace. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
On 6/13/2024 at 11:13 AM, proserpina65 said:

https://ew.com/jonathan-majors-to-receive-perseverance-award-after-assault-conviction-8662393

Really?  The perseverance of overcoming committing a crime, being convicted of it and having to pay the consequences?  Who the fuck decides this crap?

If anyone's morbidly curious and can stand it, Deadline covered his acceptance speech; he name-dropped a bunch of people, and apparently tears were shed:

https://deadline.com/2024/06/jonathan-majors-thanks-my-queen-meagan-good-recalls-arrest-accepting-hollywood-unlocked-perseverance-award-1235981011/

• Angry 6
(edited)

Why does Gayle King feel drawn to making this lame comment. Newscasters should not comment on their friends. Moreover, this morning’s paper reports that the arresting officer had earlier the same evening warned JT not to drive. So JT was a real dumbass. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 9
  • Applause 8
(edited)

Another celebrity dope, er Long Islander, coming to JT’s defense is Billy Joel, the guy who wrapped his car around a tree, also apparently after leaving the American Hotel. Billy Joel has acknowledged problems with alcohol but has managed not to be charged with DUI despite several accidents.  

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Gayle King’s comment reminds me of those celebs who foolishly give a character reference to a convicted rapist. I’m looking at you, Ashton and Mila. He was always a good guy around us. Blah blah blah. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A lot of otherwise good people seem to DUI. I don't like to define people by their worst moments, but it is astonishing to me how many people get behind the wheel drunk.

Because of that very fact, JT could have really spun this into a positive if he took responsibility and used it as a jumping point to campaign for people to be more responsible. A whole "if it could happen to me, it could happen to you" sort of, be more careful when you drink and set up a "get home" plan before hand. Other than not drinking, the best way to avoid drunk driving is to have a plan to get home BEFORE you start drinking. Once you start drinking your ability to make the right choices dwindles. 

Instead he's denying it making himself look like a shit and doing no one any good. Good job you selfish dick! (that's directed at JT, in case that wasn't clear). 

• Like 9
  • Applause 7

and used it as a jumping point to campaign for people to be more responsible

Well, one thing I am going to take from this is any time someone reprimands me for anything, my response will be 'This is going to ruin the tour".

• LOL 23
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A lot of otherwise good people seem to DUI.

Yeah, quite frankly, I don't know too many people who haven't made that stupid choice at least once in their lives (including me), and know several who got popped for it.  I thankfully only know one who got into an accident because of it, and luckily the only thing he damaged was his car.  And he got arrested, paid the huge fine, and lost his license for a year.  All of which he accepted with great embarrassment and remorse, relief he hadn't harmed anyone else, and resolve to never do it again.   He did not whine it was going to ruin the tour. 

I'll judge the decision to get behind the wheel, of course, but circumstances differ, and what tells me more about a person than that action is how they react if they get caught (or, worse, cause an accident).  Timberlake had every option available in the world for alternate ways of getting home, chose not to use any of them, got caught, but didn't hurt anyone so faces punishment he's easily able to bear if convicted.  But he's up on stage talking about the tough week he's had.

I hear far less celebrity news than the average person (I mostly only know what is posted here), so I may be missing a lot, but literally every tidbit I come across about this guy is negative.  This seems par for the refusing to ever take responsibility course of entitlement he's been on since he became a star.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Palimelon said:

Well, one thing I am going to take from this is any time someone reprimands me for anything, my response will be 'This is going to ruin the tour".

So that's where all those memes are coming from?!

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'll judge the decision to get behind the wheel, of course, but circumstances differ, and what tells me more about a person than that action is how they react if they get caught (or, worse, cause an accident).  Timberlake had every option available in the world for alternate ways of getting home, chose not to use any of them, got caught, but didn't hurt anyone so faces punishment he's easily able to bear if convicted....This seems par for the refusing to ever take responsibility course of entitlement he's been on since he became a star.

All of this. And this is why I judge him harshly over it. He had many options not to drive drunk but he did and he chose not to take any responsibility for it. I'm not surprised by any of it. When was the last time a celebrity took responsibility for their actions? But it would have been nice if he had. That would have been different and it would haven't been that big of a deal. But of course that can't happen.

• Like 12

I have zero tolerance for DUI. Zero. And I have never managed to muster up an ounce of opinion on JT, so I’m not inclined to give him grace. I’d have a lot more respect if he didn’t go into defensive denial mode, though maybe he’s following attorney instructions? But I would think an attorney would tell him to keep his trap shut.

A relative of mine got in trouble a few years ago — accused of taking pictures of other men in a public bathroom. He didn’t do it. He had been drinking and was fumbling his phone, which led the two college kids to start yelling accusations and someone to call the police. It was shown he did nothing and charges were dropped, but his judgement was impaired enough that he didn’t handle it in the right way and went through several days of genuine terror.

All that to say — drinking can cause a lot of problems, even beyond driving. Smart to be responsible

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I have zero tolerance for DUI. Zero. And I have never managed to muster up an ounce of opinion on JT, so I’m not inclined to give him grace. I’d have a lot more respect if he didn’t go into defensive denial mode, though maybe he’s following attorney instructions? But I would think an attorney would tell him to keep his trap shut.

His crisis management team isn't helping either.

https://www.celebitchy.com/877547/justin_timberlakes_team_is_attacking_the_young_hamptons_cop_who_arrested_him/

The rich white celeb is being mistreated by a cop?  Cry me a river. Pun intended.

Everything that has happened since he left that bar that night has been a disaster.

• Like 12
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

His crisis management team isn't helping either.

https://www.celebitchy.com/877547/justin_timberlakes_team_is_attacking_the_young_hamptons_cop_who_arrested_him/

The rich white celeb is being mistreated by a cop?  Cry me a river. Pun intended.

Everything that has happened since he left that bar that night has been a disaster.

Yep, let's attack the cop. It was his fault for doing his job and not Justin's for drinking and driving.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yep, let's attack the cop. It was his fault for doing his job and not Justin's for drinking and driving.

This is what Justin does.  Fucks up and then blames someone else.  It's a pattern with him that has become a huge glaring character flaw.

• Like 15

And he helped himself to other people's drinks too.

For me, it isn't so much the drunk driving but the lack of remorse after getting caught.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

According to the bartender at the American Hotel, Justin Timberlake only had one drink there.  Doesn't mean he hadn't been drinking before getting there, of course.

https://pagesix.com/2024/06/24/entertainment/justin-timberlake-had-1-martini-at-hotel-before-dwi-arrest-bartender/

Apparently the drink might've been a Vesper martini, which is pretty strong, but still, he probably had already had more.

Justin might've ordered just one, but plenty of witnesses saw him drinking other peoples' drinks.  And. as you said, he wasn't necessarily sober when he arrived there.  Nor do we know if he might've gotten drinks at another establishment in the hotel or from other bar employees.  He declined a breathalyzer and failed a field sobriety test-badly.  Unless he has a logical explanation for those two things, it doesn't matter what the bartender thought.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

According to the bartender at the American Hotel, Justin Timberlake only had one drink there. 

Was he sitting drinking alone at the bar? Because otherwise how would the bartender know how many drinks were bought for him by others?  We don't go out to bars or pubs often anymore but when we do and there is no table service it's not unusual for one person to go to the bar to get drinks for the rest of their group.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Justin's people are doing their best to cast doubt on the validity of his arrest.  He ran a stop sign and couldn't stay in his lane. Refused a breathalyzer and failed a field sobriety test. He sounds drunk to me.

This is a first offense. He won't face jail time.  If he has his license suspended he can hire a driver. He should just take a plea.  But as is his MO he can't admit this was his fault.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Palimelon said:

And he helped himself to other people's drinks too.

For me, it isn't so much the drunk driving but the lack of remorse after getting caught.

So you're okay with the drink driving part ? For me a lack of remorse shows selfishness whereas drunk driving kills people so that is way worse than some self centered asshole not showing any remorse. 

18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Justin's people are doing their best to cast doubt on the validity of his arrest.  He ran a stop sign and couldn't stay in his lane. Refused a breathalyzer and failed a field sobriety test. He sounds drunk to me.

This is a first offense. He won't face jail time.  If he has his license suspended he can hire a driver. He should just take a plea.  But as is his MO he can't admit this was his fault.

From watching Live pd or whatever it's called this month I've learned that refusing a breath test is an automatic license suspension in some states but he needs to lose it anyway for drinking & driving.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

The penalty for "refusing to blow" is the same as "blowing over the limit".   If you have been in an accident, legal advice is to refuse to blow, so there is no evidence how impaired you were. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
11 minutes ago, Shrek said:

From watching Live pd or whatever it's called this month I've learned that refusing a breath test is an automatic license suspension in some states but he needs to lose it anyway for drinking & driving.

I just checked and yep NY is one of those states. Automatic one year suspension and a $500 fine.  If you are acquitted of the DUI/DWI the refusing the breathalyzer suspension and fine still stands.

So looks like he won't be driving for a year at least.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 8
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

He ran a stop sign and couldn't stay in his lane.

While this info is in some of the articles I've seen it's definitely not in all of them.  Mostly they seem to be soft pedaling this whole thing  which I can understand from the POV of Timberlake and his PR people but it's maddening when so called reporters are picking and choosing which aspect of the story to share.

• Like 6

As someone who has known a couple of people killed by drunk drivers, I have no sympathy. I also don't think in this day and age, people can shrug it off as "ahh..everyone has one, no big deal". Uber, Lyft, cabs, and all the messaging about drinking and behaving responsibly aren't new. Justin should have known better. One of his friends should have grabbed the keys even. It's not that hard to formulate a plan.

I think aside from the act is his complete disregard for the impact this will have on his wife and kids. His first thought wasn't his kids being without a dad or his wife being a widow, it was about the tour.  I do wonder if Justin and Jimmy Fallon are a bad influence on each other in their partying ways but that's just speculation on my part.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

I apologize in advance if this was already mentioned, but one of the entertainment shows tonight said that Justin had been spotted by 2 other cops before the 3rd one had him arrested. 

I'm guessing that the first 2 cops recognized him and let him go with a warning, whereas the 3rd cop didn't recognize him....and we all know what happened.

No doubt this is the reason why it's his "first offense" iykwim.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4
15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I just checked and yep NY is one of those states. Automatic one year suspension and a $500 fine.  If you are acquitted of the DUI/DWI the refusing the breathalyzer suspension and fine still stands.

So looks like he won't be driving for a year at least.

He probably does not have a NYS license.  I don't practice this type of law, but I just googled and found something called the interstate driver's license compact, which would affect how this is treated in the various states and in NYS. 

• Useful 3
On 6/24/2024 at 2:57 PM, Dimity said:

Was he sitting drinking alone at the bar? Because otherwise how would the bartender know how many drinks were bought for him by others?  We don't go out to bars or pubs often anymore but when we do and there is no table service it's not unusual for one person to go to the bar to get drinks for the rest of their group.

I think the bartender remembered how many drinks he personally served him because he's famous.  But, yes, other people could've been actually getting the drinks.  I wasn't defending Timberlake just providing the information I'd seen.

To be fair, I'd probably fail all three field sobriety checks stone cold sober.  Which is why I wouldn't refuse the breathalyzer if I hadn't been drinking.

• Like 9
(edited)

Michael Richards (of Seinfeld fame and a racist tape infamy) has recently published an autobio.

I hesitated to be put my POV of it here because amidst his rather . . out there spins (including claiming that UFOs were directly communicating with him via ESP!) there was a very tragic claim he made about his origins that  even with all the other strikes against him beforehand and spins he was making within this book, I do believe: contrary to his 'official' bio [including the current wiki one], he was NOT the only child of a widowed mother who'd never remarried after his father's death when he was two. In order to spare any Forum readers who may be triggered or otherwise upset reading an account of an SA, I'm putting his claim about his origins in a Spoiler so that they may opt to avoid reading it if they would prefer not to.. .

Spoiler

As per his tome, after having spent  his entire childhood and early adult life of believing his mother's claims re the above, he discovered after his own investigations proved the claims false AND confronting his mother [and maternal uncle] that he had been  conceived by a rape against his poor future mother ! She had initially considered aborting him but after someone she'd known had died in during the procedure, she decided instead to put up her future child up for adoption then   changed her mind and got him back. THEN, after quite a few struggles  (with some major consequences before and after the fact), she went to the trouble of changing her and her son's surname to 'Richards' which she'd randomly picked and then created a heroic origin story for her son.  No, this doesn't justify his negative actions that he himself did as an adult but one cannot deny that, having been raised by a family who viewed with with very mixed feelings AND finding out the tragedy of his origins, this has had to be a significant contributing factor in a good part of his life.

So why am I still disappointed in him? Because even at this late date with the opportunity he'd given himself and even with ALL the abovementioned factored in, in his tome, Mr. Richards dissed the person for having TAKEN the infamous racist video in spite  of the admission ticket to the show forbidding the use of any kind of recording devises during the show! I'm sorry but there would have been nothing for her to have recorded if he hadn't said what he said. ..and he wouldn't have said what he said if he hadn't on some level at that time believed himself JUST in saying what he said.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

If he were smart, he would own it, and title his tour the "This Is Going to Ruin The" Tour.

If he were actually smart, he wouldn't have driven drunk and ruined the tour in the first place.

• Like 7
  • Applause 11
  • LOL 1

The manslaughter charges against Alec  Baldwin were dismissed "with prejudice" (meaning they cannot be refiled), due to evidence the prosecution withheld that would have benefited the defense.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 7

Damn, I've never gotten a judicial spanking even close to that in my lengthy legal career.  But if I had, I wouldn't be able to maintain the poker face that prosecutor did while on camera.  

• Like 8

Can someone explain something to me? I fully agree that the prosecutors are the bad guys here. And I have to admit I just plain feel good that Alec Baldwin's nightmare is over. (He's brought me too much pleasure over the years for me to feel any other way.) But what bearing does it have on the case whether the bullets in the gun came from the armorer or the prop master?

• Like 1