Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would start with pointing out the "leftist" roots of country music.  Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson come to mind,  so does Loretta Lynn singing "The Pill" on national TV.  

back during the depression Woody Guthrie and Roy Rogers had competing  radio shows and populatized the style of music. Loosely speaking, the ‘folk song army’ can and do claim descent from Woody Guthrie, including Cash. My point. Which I forgot to add, is that both lineages are part of country music, from the beginning.

Edited by Affogato
Misspelled Rogers
  • Like 14
20 minutes ago, Affogato said:

back during the depression Woody Guthrie and Roy Rodgers had ‘competing ‘ radio shows and populatized the style of music. Loosely speaking, the ‘folk song army’ can and do claim descent from Woody Guthrie, including Cash. My point. Which I forgot to add, is that both lineages are part of country music, from the ‘beginning’. 

I was just rattling off some country artists who's existence in the canon of country music prove how wrong John is.  Yeah, folk music is and has always been antithetical to John and those he supports.

• Like 14
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was just rattling off some country artists who's existence in the canon of country music prove how wrong John is.  Yeah, folk music is and has always been antithetical to John and those he supports.

Just to be clear, i was trying to say country music became popular because of the two radio shows. Guthrie was a leftist and Rogers the Christian right. The right has gone off the rails, but it was always an element of country music. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

John Schneider, mediocre actor and country singer, reveals himself to be a racist ass; Likens Beyoncé to a peeing dog over new country songs.

A goog ol' boy indeed. 

Even worse, he's an opportunist that thinks he can score political points on this.  Why else go on OANN, of all places, and complain about the "lefties" ruining country music?  It sounds like (and I'll give the radio station the benefit of the doubt here) an honest mistake, since I wouldn't immediately associate Beyoncé with country music either, but Texas Hold 'Em is a damn good song!

5 hours ago, Affogato said:

back during the depression Woody Guthrie and Roy Rogers had competing  radio shows and populatized the style of music. Loosely speaking, the ‘folk song army’ can and do claim descent from Woody Guthrie, including Cash. My point. Which I forgot to add, is that both lineages are part of country music, from the beginning.

Honestly, it goes back even before that, when the record companies divided records by race.  Jimmie Rodgers the "Father of Country Music" was pretty much a white bluesman.  And nowadays, I think of Gangstagrass who combine bluegrass and hip-hop.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would start with pointing out the "leftist" roots of country music.  Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson come to mind,  so does Loretta Lynn singing "The Pill" on national TV.  

I was just thinking the same thing myself. 

(I remember a news story a few years back where some people were apparently all upset and angry upon learing about Willie Nelson's stances on certain issues, and the general response online was something to the effect of, "...are you people new, or....?")

8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

How much are you willing to bet that John Schneider thinks the song "Harper Valley PTA" is "woke nonsense" and sides with the titular PTA?

I propose a new rule: If somebody wants to make comments about something or someone being "woke", they need to show they can define what the word actually legtimately means first. 

I haven't heard any of Beyonce's country songs at all yet, but hell, setting aside the political aspect, I'll take them if it means a break from hearing the same old, "I'm a good ol' boy who drives a tractor and loves God and my mama"/"look how down home foksy I claim I am" type songs that, last I heard, were all over country radio (which, granted, has been some time, but yeah). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 11
  • Applause 5

Does anyone think that Mr. Schneider would have considered it fair and just had The Dukes of Hazzard  casting folks  said ' Don't bother applying for the role! No viewers would think a strudel-eater like you could ever be believable as a  WASP 'good ole boy'! Get some lederhosen  and seek out an oompa-band along with that Fraulein Bach!  '?

What a maroon and dommkopf!

And I say all the above as someone who's not a fan of Miss Knowles nor most current country music  so I have no trapeze artist in either circus but I say let her sink or swim like any other singer attempting to try a new genre!

P.S. I seriously doubt they'd have gotten discombobulated had Billie Eilish or Lorde have attempted to try a country album!

• Like 9
  • Love 2

As per numerous legit news sources, Oprah Winfrey has resigned from the board of Weight Watchers after fessing that she's  been  using an undisclosed medical supplement to lose weight. After this she donated her interest  from WW to the Museum of African-American History [Smithsonian Institute].

OK, while I'm always in favor of someone trying to preserve history, that donation alone doesn't erase the fact that (at the very least) she seemed to have been willing to at least let the public (and WW stockholders) believe that her weight loss had been  entirely due to the the WW plan.

• Like 8
  • Useful 5
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

she seemed to have been willing to at least let the public (and WW stockholders) believe that her weight loss had been  entirely due to the the WW plan.

Weight Watchers  offers the meds she is taking.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, while I'm always in favor of someone trying to preserve history, that donation alone doesn't erase the fact that (at the very least) she seemed to have been willing to at least let the public (and WW stockholders) believe that her weight loss had been  entirely due to the the WW plan.

As mentioned above, using weight loss drugs isn't against the company's mission.  They changed their branding a few years ago to focus on wellness over weight loss.  They also purchased an online clinic a year ago that prescribes weight loss medication they make available to their members for an additional cost.

And I do think Weight Watchers helped her.  Historically, she has been able to lose weight on diets.  She just hasn't been able to maintain and that's why she claims she recently went on the drug. 

Her leaving has caused the stock to tumble.  I think they'd still rather have her.

• Like 5
  • Useful 5
7 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Weight Watchers  offers the meds she is taking.

How do you know? Remember, Miss Winfrey has not (as yet) disclosed which supplement she was taking!

• Like 1

Almost anyone can lose weight on any kind of diet intended for that, but very very few people can maintain weight loss for the rest of their lives. That's how WW and its ilk stay in business. Imagine if we just accepted that some people are fat and some are thin and it has nothing to do with health or morality. The podcast Maintenance Phase has been informative.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

How do you know? Remember, Miss Winfrey has not (as yet) disclosed which supplement she was taking!

True, but most of the modern weight loss medications that people are having so much success with are GLP-1 receptor agonists.  Weight Watchers offers two.  She might be on a different one but still aligned with the philosophy.  Plus, I'm guessing she doesn't want to specifically mention a brand as that'd constitute an endorsement.  Weight Watchers doesn't own drug companies.  They're just willing to prescribe.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

True, but most of the modern weight loss medications that people are having so much success with are GLP-1 receptor agonists.  Weight Watchers offers two.  She might be on a different one but still aligned with the philosophy.  Plus, I'm guessing she doesn't want to specifically mention a brand as that'd constitute an endorsement.  Weight Watchers doesn't own drug companies.  They're just willing to prescribe.

If this had been one of the supplements offered by WW, then why wouldn't Miss Winfrey not have just SAID so instead of refusing to disclose what it was. ..and resigning from the WW Board of Trust? As Judge Judy  says' one explanation makes sense, the other doesn't . .and if it doesn't make sense, then it's a LIE'!

Sorry, but I think it's more likely that Miss Winfrey did that somewhat drastic action out of pre-emptive strike over believing she might have been on the verge of being exposed for not having been totally candid about using WW (and its supplements) for her weight loss THAN her  having done this solely out of the wanting to be honest.

P.S. While a person's weight is technically their own business and no one else's, Miss Winfrey had MADE it everyone else's business when she became a member of the  WW Board of Trust and (at the very least) let the public including the stockholders  believe that her weight loss had been solely due to her having followed the WW program.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Sorry, but I think it's more likely that Miss Winfrey did that somewhat drastic action out of pre-emptive strike over believing she might have been on the verge of being exposed for not having been totally candid about using WW (and its supplements) for her weight loss THAN her  having done this solely out of the wanting to be honest.

I don't know if anything was "drastic". She admitted to using weight-loss drugs months ago.

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Plus, I'm guessing she doesn't want to specifically mention a brand as that'd constitute an endorsement. 

Also this; and that would probably hurt both Oprah AND WeightWatchers in whatever deal they have.

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

and (at the very least) let the public including the stockholders  believe that her weight loss had been solely due to her having followed the WW program.

I don't really follow news about Oprah or WW; but, did this happen?

• Like 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

"Oprah told People magazine last week that she's using one of the weight loss drugs that are commercially known as Ozempic, Wegovy or Mounjaro. "   12/14/2023

Thats how I know.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

"Oprah told People magazine last week that she's using one of the weight loss drugs that are commercially known as Ozempic, Wegovy or Mounjaro. "   12/14/2023

Thats how I know.

If  she took what she claimed to People magazine in December,2023 has been true, then why did she resign from the Board, etc.?

It is not impossible that she added the 'undisclosed supplement' in the three months since the article's publication in addition to what she claimed she was taking-if not before then.

Sorry, I don't think she's been as transparent or honest as you'd like to believe!

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

weight loss drugs that are commercially known as Ozempic, Wegovy or Mounjaro. "

They may help with weight loss, BUT their purpose is to help diabetics. It’s because of people like Oprah, other celebrities, and greedy doctors that Ozempic is out of stock for those who really need it and then turned to Trulicity, which is out of stock through 2024 because of “high demand.”

As someone who is on Trulicity, I’m struggling to find alternatives until it’s back in stock.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 16
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2024 at 2:03 AM, Irlandesa said:

And I do think Weight Watchers helped her.  Historically, she has been able to lose weight on diets.  She just hasn't been able to maintain and that's why she claims she recently went on the drug. 

Honestly, I don't expect her to maintain this weight loss either.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Honestly, I don't expect her to maintain this weight loss either.  

Yeah. I remember those commercials where she said she “LOOOOOOOVES BREAD.”😒

• Like 1
  • Wink 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They may help with weight loss, BUT their purpose is to help diabetics. It’s because of people like Oprah, other celebrities, and greedy doctors that Ozempic is out of stock for those who really need it and then turned to Trulicity, which is out of stock through 2024 because of “high demand.”

As someone who is on Trulicity, I’m struggling to find alternatives until it’s back in stock.

My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last year.  She doesn't used either of these drugs, but when I heard about this, I wondered if there would be an issue with runningout of stock. 

I know weight loss is a difficult thing for some people, especially when genetics is involved, but I was able to lose a lot of weight and only put 10lbs back on, by eating less, which involved reading labels for serving size and calorie count, and exercising.  I know it's hard and takes a lot of time,  but I maintain that it's the best way to go.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 2

Or get notified that they need to justify why they need it from Medicare. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I am diabetic and have been on Ozempic for six months because the original drug generally used for diabetes  (along with another prescription med) was causing kidney failure. Now that I am on Ozempic, I am fine.

I am seeing all over the internet where people are falsely claiming Ozempic and Monjauro have always been for weight loss. That is not true. Since people started using Ozempic for weight loss and causing diabetics not to be able to fill their prescriptions, the drug company created Wegovy specifically for weight loss. Wegovy has less of the stuff for diabetics and more of the stuff for weight loss. Monjauro is new and mainly for diabetics but has better weight loss capabilities than Ozempic.

As a chronically on-and-off fat person in the room, I wish just counting calories worked for me. It doesn't.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I know weight loss is a difficult thing for some people, especially when genetics is involved, but I was able to lose a lot of weight and only put 10lbs back on, by eating less, which involved reading labels for serving size and calorie count, and exercising.  I know it's hard and takes a lot of time,  but I maintain that it's the best way to go.

It is. While "testimonials" touted weight loss as a benefit from Trulicity, that never happened with me. Even increasing the dosage (which was for another reason), my doctor recommended I lose another 15 pounds, but it wasn't happening. Then, I went to India last Spring (I always lose weight when I go there; I think it's the water), and I lost close to 10; then realized how overly processed food is here, and just cut it all out; and made sure to not go over the portion. And it worked. No magic bullet. But reading and learning about all these people using Ozempic, specifically, to lose weight? Gave me rage black out. Ana Navarro is another one. It's difficult. But I've ranted over in the Health forum, so won't repeat it here as it's going off topic.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

It is. While "testimonials" touted weight loss as a benefit from Trulicity, that never happened with me. Even increasing the dosage (which was for another reason), my doctor recommended I lose another 15 pounds, but it wasn't happening. Then, I went to India last Spring (I always lose weight when I go there; I think it's the water), and I lost close to 10; then realized how overly processed food is here, and just cut it all out; and made sure to not go over the portion. And it worked. No magic bullet. But reading and learning about all these people using Ozempic, specifically, to lose weight? Gave me rage black out. Ana Navarro is another one. It's difficult. But I've ranted over in the Health forum, so won't repeat it here as it's going off topic.

Glad that worked for you but it doesn't for everyone.  That's why weight loss is such a prickly topic.  There is no one miracle pill/injection, diet, exercise plan or healthy living regimen which will make us all a healthy weight.

I am with you, though, on the black-out rage over people using a diabetes drug for weight loss to the extent that diabetics who need it can't get it.

• Like 16
41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Glad that worked for you but it doesn't for everyone.  That's why weight loss is such a prickly topic.  There is no one miracle pill/injection, diet, exercise plan or healthy living regimen which will make us all a healthy weight.

Definitely. Not my intention to say what worked for me will for everyone. Just as for me, the Truliciy didn't help with weight loss.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

If  she took what she claimed to People magazine in December,2023 has been true, then why did she resign from the Board, etc.?

I assume conflict of interest, but you'd have to ask her.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Everything I'd ever read about that set was awful, but the testimony from that trial really underscored what a disaster it was. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

I just listened to a podcast with Jason Isbell (Broken Record) and he discussed how guns were handled on Flowers of the Killer Moon and he essentially said he couldn't believe how things sounded on that set compared to how professional and strict it was in his experience.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7

What is the case against Baldwin? That even though he had every reason to think the gun had blanks, he still shouldn't have aimed it and pulled the trigger in  the run-through? 

If so, I don't get that, because when the director called action, the shot required him to aim the gun and pull the trigger--so the tragedy would have happened then instead of in the run-through. Right? Or maybe not. I'm looking to be educated here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

What is the case against Baldwin? That even though he had every reason to think the gun had blanks, he still shouldn't have aimed it and pulled the trigger in  the run-through? 

If so, I don't get that, because when the director called action, the shot required him to aim the gun and pull the trigger--so the tragedy would have happened then instead of in the run-through. Right? Or maybe not. I'm looking to be educated here.

From what I've read, the scene didn't call for him to pull the trigger. He also, per behind the scenes footage, had repeatedly been using the guns to point at things. It's also been said he skipped whatever mandatory training they did have and kept rushing the armorer because he was impatient. It doesn't sound like he was a hapless victim of the set and was actively contributing to the safety issues himself. 

• Useful 13
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'd think the case against him is based more on his position as one of the producers, and thus someone with control over what happens on set, than as an actor.

As for Ms. Gutierrez Reed, she seems like the very definition of someone who had one job - making sure the weapons used on set were safe to use - and failed to do it properly.  Her conviction on the involuntary manslaughter charge seems correct based on the evidence used at trial.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

she seems like the very definition of someone who had one job - making sure the weapons used on set were safe to use - and failed to do it properly. 

Interestingly enough, the movie was so low budget that they actually hired her for two jobs--armorer and assistant prop master--and that was apparently a big part of the reason why they couldn't hire any other armorer. No other professional armorer would agree to that. 

But I don't think she's a scapegoat who was unfairly convicted either. She's the one who agreed to those terms. Apparently, when Baldwin would use the gun to point at people like he would have used his finger, rather than correcting him, she just told people to move out of his way. The detail that floored me the most was an anecdote about her sitting on the pebble-strewn ground loading a pistol. It took other people pointing out how unsafe that was if she accidentally got a rock in the gun for her to move the activity elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 7
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Interestingly enough, the movie was so low budget that they actually hired her for two jobs--armorer and assistant prop master--and that was apparently a big part of the reason why they couldn't hire any other armorer. No other professional armorer would agree to that. 

But I don't think she's a scapegoat who was unfairly convicted either. She's the one who agreed to those terms. Apparently, when Baldwin would use the gun to point at people like he would have used his finger, rather than correcting him, she just told people to move out of his way. The detail that floored me the most was an anecdote about her sitting on the pebble-strewn ground loading a pistol. It took other people pointing out how unsafe that was if she accidentally got a rock in the gun for her to move the activity elsewhere. 

I seem to recall that there were also reports of a lot of drinking and drug use in the evenings after filming was complete and that she set up targets and let various crew members use some of the pistols she was handling to shoot at them.  That boozy shooting contests were a common after work activity, organized by her.  That doesn't make her sound like the sort of person who should be handling weapons of any kind ever, let alone placed in charge.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 4
9 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I seem to recall that there were also reports of a lot of drinking and drug use in the evenings after filming was complete and that she set up targets and let various crew members use some of the pistols she was handling to shoot at them.  That boozy shooting contests were a common after work activity, organized by her.  That doesn't make her sound like the sort of person who should be handling weapons of any kind ever, let alone placed in charge.

Agreed. I've even some speculation she may have been high on the clock. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did for someone to get hurt, based on every anecdote I've read about the set.

• Like 11
2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Unfortunately, she only faces up to 18 months in prison, which means she could be out in...a year?  Hopefully, she never gets hired again.

I would hope so, but, it seems like she was a nepo baby (her dad is an armorer) who came cheap and I expect that there are plenty of productions trying to cut corners and save money.  Even if she's never hired again, I expect there are plenty more out there just like her who will get those jobs.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
2 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I would hope so, but, it seems like she was a nepo baby (her dad is an armorer) who came cheap and I expect that there are plenty of productions trying to cut corners and save money.  Even if she's never hired again, I expect there are plenty more out there just like her who will get those jobs.

Sure, there will be productions trying to cut costs, but I think they'll pay closer attention to the qualifications of the armorers they hire--nepo babies or not. 

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Sure, there will be productions trying to cut costs, but I think they'll pay closer attention to the qualifications of the armorers they hire--nepo babies or not. 

Or at least not hire her under her own name but maybe pay her under the table. .

Some productions have been known to go on a limb and not always for the right reasons. .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I gave your post a "sad" @BetterButter, because I'm sad that people won't stay in bounds at places like Yellowstone.  And it also makes me sad when it's people I like, like Pierce Brosnan.

I agree! It's also rather foolish because  via veering off the marked trails, one doesn't just risk getting a twisted ankle or dropping one's lunch in the dirt.  In Yellowstone with its many geysers, hot springs and hot mud baths, one risks getting literally boiled alive if one slips away from the trails- and Mr. Brosnan's too old not to know better!

• Like 13