Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have always loved her appearances on original recipe Law & Order.

When I saw Sternhagen’s picture, I immediately thought of the Law and Order episode where she hired a hit man to off the man she believed killed her son

Spoiler

(and indeed he had!).

R.I.P. Ms. Sternhagen.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

When I saw Sternhagen’s picture, I immediately thought of the Law and Order episode where she hired a hit man to off the man she believed killed her son

I watch that episode every single time it comes on.  I've probably seen it AT least 25 times. 

But to me, my first memory of her will always be as Cliff Clavin's mom on Cheers.  It's crazy to me that the kind of character she played in the 80s was the same character she played in the 2000s.  I think she looked the same over 3 decades. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 7

I adored Frances Sternhagen. I loved her in Misery. She had so many great lines and especially wishing she was at home in bed with the Sheriff. I loved her as Brenda's mother Willie Ray in the Closer. She was so great in it. Brenda's reaction to her death is still gut wrenching. I loved her as Irma Bombauer in Julia & Julia. I hated her as Bunny, Charlotte's mother-in-law in Sex and the City. I loved her in Law & Order hiring a hit man to kill her daughter-in-law's husband. I loved that she was right in the end. The man did kill her son. I loved her as Esther Clavin in Cheers. She was such a wonderful actress I always loved seeing. I'm really going to miss her. RIP Frances and thank you so much.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

The thing about Frances Sternhagen is that, especially as she got older, she tended to get cast as characters that could easily have been aggravating in another actor's hands.  But she consistently made their annoying qualities not just funny, but endearing.

• Like 12
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't listen to a lot of their music, but he wrote one of the few Christmas songs I love ("Fairytale of New York"):

Wow, that was wonderful! I don't believe I've ever heard The Pogues, thanks for posting.

• Like 2

Legacy, the Frances Sternhagen episode of Law and Order, is one of the best of the series.

Frances is a huge reason why. Her character could be seen as a bitter old lady but she managed to convey grief, distrust and coldness all in the span of an hour. 

The one scene she does get with Jerry Orbach is a sheer delight in chemistry. If you've never seen it, please try to find it. It's in Season 8 of the Law and Order Mothership.

I will say her death on The Closer really broke my heart but up til that moment it was a delight to see her on that series.

RIP my dear. My heart weeps for the loss....

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Legacy, the Frances Sternhagen episode of Law and Order, is one of the best of the series.

Frances is a huge reason why. Her character could be seen as a bitter old lady but she managed to convey grief, distrust and coldness all in the span of an hour. 

The one scene she does get with Jerry Orbach is a sheer delight in chemistry. If you've never seen it, please try to find it. It's in Season 8 of the Law and Order Mothership.

I will say her death on The Closer really broke my heart but up til that moment it was a delight to see her on that series.

RIP my dear. My heart weeps for the loss....

That is such an impactful, memorable episode of L&O and you’re so right, Frances just played it perfectly.  

• Like 6
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved her in Law & Order hiring a hit man to kill her daughter-in-law's husband. I loved that she was right in the end. The man did kill her son.

I wish there was an extra scene where the dumb daughter in law apologizes to her for not believing her.

• Like 7

Shannen Doherty's cancer has now spread to her bones (it had previously metastasized to her brain, resulting in surgery and radiation).  She says she's on a regimen that's working for her (and looking into clinical trials), and she's not afraid of dying, she just doesn't want to:

“I’m not done with living. I’m not done with loving. I’m not done with creating. I’m not done with hopefully changing things for the better,” she says, cracking a smile. "I’m just not — I’m not done.”

“People just assume that it means you can’t walk, you can’t eat, you can’t work. They put you out to pasture at a very early age —‘You’re done, you’re retired,’ and we’re not,” she says. “We’re vibrant, and we have such a different outlook on life. We are people who want to work and embrace life and keep moving forward.”

This has been a long battle for her, and she's chosen to share it with the public, feeling she has a purpose to help what she calls her "cancer family" -- she has a platform, and can raise awareness and funding that may help so many others going through the same fight without the same resources.  She and I would disagree on a lot, I know, but I've never come across her saying anything hateful, and I've always had an odd soft spot for her, even before the cancer, so now I find myself rooting for her in a way beyond the good wishes I'd have for anyone in her position.  You only have so many metastases in you, so I continue to hope she is indeed not done.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Sad 12
  • Love 12

Mark Shepherd had six heart attacks the other day, and was revived four times due to a 100% blockage in the artery called 'The Widowmaker'.  Big thanks to his lovely wife Sarah for being so alert and knowing what to do.

FB_IMG_1701579148283.thumb.jpg.2f49713feef04d7ad1c9c90ccd3d588d.jpg

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 15
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

Nothing wrong w/getting older, but the longer hair looks terrible on him.

"Get a haircut" - in old man voice 

Maybe Mr. Caruso's dyeing to look like a hipper version of the late Winston Churchill.

Still, it's puzzling that the article claims that this is his first photograph since 2017. If that's true, does this mean that he somehow has lived in a CCTV-free underground bunker for six years- or is it only the first time in six years that anyone from the rags bothered to snap his pic?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

They released this hours after Robach and Holmes tried to paint themselves as persecuted for their love. 
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Andrew and Marilee are better off without their former fame ore spouses.  That whole situation reminds me of what happened in regards to Shania Twain's ex cheating which resulted in her marrying  the other lady's former husband.

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ah so this is why Shania was trending.

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

That whole situation reminds me of what happened in regards to Shania Twain's ex cheating which resulted in her marrying  the other lady's former husband.

Ha!  I did not know this (or maybe read but forgot) but these scenarios crack me up.  Weird as all get out for everyone, but hilarious at the expense of the cheaters.

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Weird as all get out for everyone, but hilarious at the expense of the cheaters.

Makes me wonder if the first known cheaters only cheated because their spouses were actually already cheating with each other.

Probably not.
But could be a plot for a terrible romcom.

• LOL 8
44 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

This one's tough, even though I know he was 101, and had a good life, generally.  I remember when "All In The Family" premiered, and I watched every episode.  And the spin-offs!  It was good to know what happened to The Jeffersons after they moved away, and knowing what Maude did when she wasn't antagonizing Archie was good, too.

RIP, Norman.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

This one's tough, even though I know he was 101, and had a good life, generally.  I remember when "All In The Family" premiered, and I watched every episode.  And the spin-offs!  It was good to know what happened to The Jeffersons after they moved away, and knowing what Maude did when she wasn't antagonizing Archie was good, too.

RIP, Norman.

James Evans used to scare the hell out of me. I was really young when Good Times premiered and only watched the show later when I was older, but John Amos perfectly embodied the stifled anger of a man who felt the grind of being poor and wanting to do better for his family, keeping it together as almost an act of will. Thank you, Mr. Lear, for everything.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Like 16
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

This one's tough, even though I know he was 101, and had a good life, generally. 

Yeah, I let out an audible "Noooo" at that headline, thought "What are you no-ing about, the man was over 100 years old?" and then went back to my original response because goddamn, Norman Lear.  The impact he had on television, and on society through those shows, his activism, and philanthropy is truly enormous.  We don't have enough of those kind of titans, so losing one hurts, even at 101.  What a legacy to leave!  A life that well lived still has to end sometime, and I'm glad he was able to keep doing what he loved right until that end, and that it came peacefully, at home, surrounded by a loving family, after more than a century.  He deserved nothing less. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 15
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5