Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

So, despite not being a Britney fan, I caved and pre-ordered her memoir on Audible (love free credits) and first, I have to praise the choice of Michelle Williams as narrator -she’s just perfect.  

I’m still two hours away from finishing but some thoughts.  I vacillate widely from wanting to hug Britney to wanting to shake her because she doesn’t even see herself clearly.  Listening to her talk about her kids, you get the feeling that to her, she wanted them to stay babies forever and that when they grew up and got minds of their own, she  resented that.  I think in the end she is more like her parents than she would like to believe.  

I truly think that having an abortion was probably the correct choice but how Justin went about it was just horrible…all in the name of good press.  

But the way she was treated, in general, was just horrendous…I find it just sad now because it’s clear listening to her how much she could benefit from therapy and possibly medication and she doesn’t see it…at least not at this point in the book at least.  

So far, I have come to one conclusion I don’t see changing - fuck Justin Timberlake

Edited by Sarahsmile416
  • Like 8
  • Useful 4
48 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

So far, I have come to one conclusion I don’t see changing - fuck Justin Timberlake

Seriously.  In the entire history of his career, has there ever been anything revealed about him that has made him seem to be anything other than a complete jerk?  I get all my celebrity news here, so I'm sure there's more out there than I'm aware of, but I take a very dim view of that guy.

49 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

But the way she was treated, in general, was just horrendous…I find it just sad now because it’s clear listening to her how much she could benefit from therapy and possibly medication and she doesn’t see it…at least not at this point in the book at least.

I find it sad, too; she was mistreated by everyone she should have been able to trust most, and had all her medical decisions made for her, often against her best interests.  So now she's skipping the care she clearly does need, because her perception of it is so warped.

• Like 9
  • Sad 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Seriously.  In the entire history of his career, has there ever been anything revealed about him that has made him seem to be anything other than a complete jerk?  I get all my celebrity news here, so I'm sure there's more out there than I'm aware of, but I take a very dim view of that guy.

I find it sad, too; she was mistreated by everyone she should have been able to trust most, and had all her medical decisions made for her, often against her best interests.  So now she's skipping the care she clearly does need, because her perception of it is so warped.

💯 Completely agree.  I truly don’t think there has ever been one positive thing I have heard about Justin, but I never truly hated him until after I heard all Britney had to say about him.  

She truly has no idea who she is…her life has been controlled for her her whole life and now she is in a place to do so but doesn’t have the weapons in her arsenal to do so in a healthy way.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

Noooo! Not Shaft! RIP Mr. Roundtree. 

Frances is the perfect physical blend of both her parents. I am so proud of her that she turned out relatively normal despite her parents shortcomings and the dysfunction of her childhood. She is what I used to hope for poor Bobbi Kristina. 

Justin’s been a selfish asshole and I don’t know how ol’ Ramen Noodlehead got the solo career over fine-ass JC who can sing better.

The older I get the more I despise Justin and his lack of originality. Justified was him cosplaying as Michael Jackson. Futuresex/Lovesounds is him cosplaying as Prince. When he stops cosplaying, he’s boring (Man of the Woods-total flop). How did the collective we allow this man to have a successful career? The Britney stuff just reminds me he has no redeeming value whatsoever. 
I love that all this came out just as the NSYNc reunion tour was being hyped. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Timberlake. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I love that all this came out just as the NSYNc reunion tour was being hyped. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Timberlake. 

I've seen some speculation he finally agreed to the reunion because he was hoping to drown out some of the unflattering reveals from Britney's memoir/build himself some positive hype with that news. 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Justin’s been a selfish asshole and I don’t know how ol’ Ramen Noodlehead got the solo career over fine-ass JC who can sing better.

JC was always my favorite out of the 5. I wouldn't mind knowing the 4 outside of Justin though.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

💯 Completely agree.  I truly don’t think there has ever been one positive thing I have heard about Justin, but I never truly hated him until after I heard all Britney had to say about him.  

She truly has no idea who she is…her life has been controlled for her her whole life and now she is in a place to do so but doesn’t have the weapons in her arsenal to do so in a healthy way.

I wasn't into their music but had no opinion on either one at the time. I really didn't like Justin after the break up and since then. He never seem to stop dumping on Britney or stop bringing her up. Yeah, some break ups are bad and some people really hate their exs but he really came off as a jerk and never changed. 

Britney's behavoir got weird and more I learn about how controlled she was and how everyone has used her. I'm very sympathetic but I don't know how she can ever get to a healthy place but I hope she does with people who can help her and care about her in a healthy way and not use her.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Probably Britney. Their relationship gave him so much good press and made him the focus of N’Sync then he used the break-up to paint himself as the victim to launch his solo career. 

Richard Roundtree.  So gorgeous; sooo sexy; sooooo cool.   Shoutout to @giovannif7 for posting that opening sequence of Shaft — you can’t not just fall in, headfirst, after that.

Last time I saw him, he was guest starring as Isaiah Washington (Dr Burke)’s dad in Grey’s Anatomy: a quiet yet twinkly performance (when he winked at Sandra Oh’s Cristina, I slid right off my chair).

Flights of angels.

• Like 12
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Listening to her talk about her kids, you get the feeling that to her, she wanted them to stay babies forever and that when they grew up and got minds of their own, she  resented that.  I think in the end she is more like her parents than she would like to believe.  

This is how unhealthy patterns form in families. 

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

In the entire history of his career, has there ever been anything revealed about him that has made him seem to be anything other than a complete jerk? 

And nothing is ever his fault.  Him and Britney break up and the narrative is she cheated on him.  The Superbowl incident with Janet and the network gets fined and Janet is blamed.  He (allegedly) cheats on his wife and they stay together and have another kid.  And now we know Britney became pregnant and terminated the pregnancy.  I would bet money Justin never once thought about it once it was over. 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is how unhealthy patterns form in families. 

And nothing is ever his fault.  Him and Britney break up and the narrative is she cheated on him.  The Superbowl incident with Janet and the network gets fined and Janet is blamed.  He (allegedly) cheats on his wife and they stay together and have another kid.  And now we know Britney became pregnant and terminated the pregnancy.  I would bet money Justin never once thought about it once it was over. 

Absolutely.   It’s clear in the book that these patterns were created in her family well before she was born…it’s a mess. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn’t care about Britney’s memoir?

Nope.

I generally don't like memoirs anyway because it is one persons take on events that happened. It's rarely their fault and they are generally the wronged party in whatever happens. 

As for Britney I find that she has causal relationship with the truth so I wouldn't believe anything she told the author anyway.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

I’ve often thought if left to her own Britney would have never had an entertainment career, and I think a lot of her issues has stemmed from the fact that she’s never been happy or actually known anything about herself. I’ve listened to some of this so far and I go from feeling sorry for her to wanting to shake her but I do feel very bad for her because I don’t think her life has ever been her own. 

Justin is a douche though. I remember back in the height of the NSYNC days there was a story about how he ignored a fan and when she said she liked JC better, a bodyguard brought the girl into the hotel and he pinned her up against the wall and yelled in her face. She sued him. This was witnessed by several people including a reporter. I think they settled out of court if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I’ve often thought if left to her own Britney would have never had an entertainment career, and I think a lot of her issues has stemmed from the fact that she’s never been happy or actually known anything about herself. I’ve listened to some of this so far and I go from feeling sorry for her to wanting to shake her but I do feel very bad for her because I don’t think her life has ever been her own. 

This reminds me a bit of Gene Tierney. She also had a mental breakdown (not quite as public). Granted, in her case, she started her career as an adult and had a choice. But her father stole from her and she suffered a lot of tragedy before her breakdown. Her therapist once told her that some people have an odd twist in their brains. If triggered by life situations and stress, it can cause all kinds of problems. But, people with that twist are particularly vulnerable. She felt if she had just had a normal, quiet life, she would never have been triggered.

This was the 1950s, so no clue if that theory is still around, but the Britney situation reminds me of that story.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 6
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn’t care about Britney’s memoir? I feel bad for her and everything she’s got through, I really do, but I’m starting to think the Free Britney people did more harm than good because she obviously hadn’t gotten the help she still needs.

I suppose everyone has the right to tell, what they perceive, as their story, but I wonder how accurate a reporter she is.  I don’t find her story interesting at all.   And, I feel her current state is beyond alarming.  Is there anyone she gets along with?  

• Like 16
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I feel bad for her and everything she’s got through, I really do, but I’m starting to think the Free Britney people did more harm than good because she obviously hadn’t gotten the help she still needs.

To me that’s the tragedy of Britney. Under the conservatorship she didn’t get the help she needed because they wanted to keep the cash cow working and now she’s free but is unlikely to get the help she needs because she can’t tell the difference between help and control. 

While Miss Spears's issues didn't go away after the Conservatorship was abolished, at least there's more chance of her getting help for them than there was when she was a prisoner and virtual slave to her exploitative DNA Donors and her other kin with Miss Spears having few if any options to seek trustworthy help.

Yes, I know she seems to equate help with others' control over her but at least now she has the option of seeking it on her own instead of her cries for help staying muffled by those who wanted to profiteer from her talent and condition. No, no magic wand will get waved and it will be a long road  but at least she has more chance of starting that 1,000 mile journey on her own.

I just wish there was at least one person in her kin/acquaintance circle who truly was interested in advocating for her welfare but between her kin who've proven horrifically exploitative and untrustworthy and her lawyers& staff who appear to just be telling her what she wants to hear for fear of losing their livelihood if they pipe up about what she NEEDS to hear, I can't think of anyone.

At least she WAS able to overcome the Conservatorship and that accomplishment is something she can take comfort in and build upon.

And I say all the above as someone who has had zilch interest in any of her music or performances.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, AgathaC said:

This reminds me a bit of Gene Tierney. She also had a mental breakdown (not quite as public). Granted, in her case, she started her career as an adult and had a choice. But her father stole from her and she suffered a lot of tragedy before her breakdown. Her therapist once told her that some people have an odd twist in their brains. If triggered by life situations and stress, it can cause all kinds of problems. But, people with that twist are particularly vulnerable. She felt if she had just had a normal, quiet life, she would never have been triggered.

This was the 1950s, so no clue if that theory is still around, but the Britney situation reminds me of that story.

I'm not a Brittany fan and I don't really feel sorry for her, but I did read about Gene Tierney and yes she had a mental breakdown.  Studios back then didn't give a crap about their stars.   July Garland comes to mind and many others.... everyone controlled absolutely everything about her life.   From who she dated, married, gave her drugs to sleep, to look alert.... such a sad life she had.

• Like 8
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn’t care about Britney’s memoir? I feel bad for her and everything she’s got through, I really do, but I’m starting to think the Free Britney people did more harm than good because she obviously hadn’t gotten the help she still needs.

Not the only one at all. I have zero intention of reading it, even if for free.

Of course, I feel badly for her and how she was exploited, but it's clear she needs a lot of help and likely won't accept it, fearing it's about controlling her.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest about the abortion reveal and while JT is a douchebag extraordinaire, there was zero chance in hell of her having that baby. There isn't a universe where a cash cow like her would have been allowed by her "handlers" to have a baby out of wedlock. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I wasn't surprised in the slightest about the abortion reveal and while JT is a douchebag extraordinaire, there was zero chance in hell of her having that baby. There isn't a universe where a cash cow like her would have been allowed by her "handlers" to have a baby out of wedlock. 

Maybe not, and the douchy thing for me about Justin wasn't him insisting on the abortion. The douchy thing was once Britney ever so reluctantly agreed to it, he then dictated how she went about how she did it so it caused him the least discomfort, her physical and emotional welfare be damned. While I don't put anything past her handlers, I'd hoped if an adult got involved, they would have taken her to a private clinic somewhere so it would be as painless as possible. And if what is she wrote (haven't read the book) is true, he is an asshole to write and perform songs that trashed her. 

Justin is a douche though. I remember back in the height of the NSYNC days there was a story about how he ignored a fan and when she said she liked JC better, a bodyguard brought the girl into the hotel and he pinned her up against the wall and yelled in her face. She sued him. This was witnessed by several people including a reporter. I think they settled out of court if I remember correctly. 

If the stories about him are true, then this doesn't surprise me. Before N'Sync members started pursuing solo careers, JC Chasez was perceived as the "talent," so I bet  it made JT very insecure. I forgot what they titled Justin, but it was more superficial. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is it just me or does Wolfie’s (Eddie Van Halen and Valeria Bertinellie’s son) bride look just like a young Marie Osmond?  Omg….lol.  Love the wedding though.  Very nice, but simple.  Congrats to the newlyweds. 

https://people.com/photos-from-wolfgang-van-halen-wedding-to-andraia-allsop-8382516

She does! I love her dress, too. Happy for them. 

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

While Miss Spears's issues didn't go away after the Conservatorship was abolished, at least there's more chance of her getting help for them than there was when she was a prisoner and virtual slave to her exploitative DNA Donors and her other kin with Miss Spears having few if any options to seek trustworthy help.

Yes, I know she seems to equate help with others' control over her but at least now she has the option of seeking it on her own instead of her cries for help staying muffled by those who wanted to profiteer from her talent and condition. No, no magic wand will get waved and it will be a long road  but at least she has more chance of starting that 1,000 mile journey on her own.

I just wish there was at least one person in her kin/acquaintance circle who truly was interested in advocating for her welfare but between her kin who've proven horrifically exploitative and untrustworthy and her lawyers& staff who appear to just be telling her what she wants to hear for fear of losing their livelihood if they pipe up about what she NEEDS to hear, I can't think of anyone.

At least she WAS able to overcome the Conservatorship and that accomplishment is something she can take comfort in and build upon.

And I say all the above as someone who has had zilch interest in any of her music or performances.

I agree with everything you said. No one should have their body autonomy taken from them, it’s barbaric. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, MissT said:

I'm not a Brittany fan and I don't really feel sorry for her, but I did read about Gene Tierney and yes she had a mental breakdown.  Studios back then didn't give a crap about their stars.   July Garland comes to mind and many others.... everyone controlled absolutely everything about her life.   From who she dated, married, gave her drugs to sleep, to look alert.... such a sad life she had.

I hope the takeaway from all of these tragic stories is that we are now at least more aware of how difficult it can be for young people in showbusiness if they don't have a strong support system and too many people try to prey on them, sometimes including their families and people they should be able to trust. And hopefully people will become kinder and more understanding and don't mock celebrities so much when they go through difficult time.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I hope the takeaway from all of these tragic stories is that we are now at least more aware of how difficult it can be for young people in showbusiness if they don't have a strong support system and too many people try to prey on them, sometimes including their families and people they should be able to trust. And hopefully people will become kinder and more understanding and don't mock celebrities so much when they go through difficult time.

We already knew all this, though. I don’t think anything will change 😥.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Just continuing the Gene Tierney story: she made a movie with Humphrey Bogart around the time she was really starting to fall apart. He had a sister with mental illness and recognized the signs, so he actually went to higher-ups at the studio to tell them she needed help. This was coming from a huge star, but they brushed off his concerns. Got to keep the cash cows working.

He was frustrated, but did his best to take care of her and look out for her on set — feeding her lines, treating her very kindly and gently.

One would like to think things had changed by now…

I’m no Brittney fan and have no interest in her book, but it’s a shame that mental illness isn’t handled in a way that could actually help people. We’re supposed to be more enlightened these days.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, AstridM said:

No one should have their body autonomy taken from them, it’s barbaric. 

Exactly.  This notion that because Britney is a hot mess, the court freeing her from a conservatorship she probably should never have been subjected to in the first place and certainly should not have been kept under for over a decade caused more harm than good boggles my mind.  People are free to be hot messes!  People are free not to treat their mental illness. 

The requirements for putting an adult under the control of another adult are stringent for a very good reason.  A conservatorship is supposed to be only for people who cannot meet their basic needs and it must the least-restrictive option of achieving that.  Calling for Britney to be put back under one completely distorts her situation and what a conservatorship is.  And it's disturbing how quick some are to do so with this woman, when they're not uttering a peep about similarly-situated and -publicized men.

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Maybe not, and the douchy thing for me about Justin wasn't him insisting on the abortion. The douchy thing was once Britney ever so reluctantly agreed to it, he then dictated how she went about how she did it so it caused him the least discomfort, her physical and emotional welfare be damned. While I don't put anything past her handlers, I'd hoped if an adult got involved, they would have taken her to a private clinic somewhere so it would be as painless as possible. And if what is she wrote (haven't read the book) is true, he is an asshole to write and perform songs that trashed her. 

If the stories about him are true, then this doesn't surprise me. Before N'Sync members started pursuing solo careers, JC Chasez was perceived as the "talent," so I bet  it made JT very insecure. I forgot what they titled Justin, but it was more superficial. 

Correct.  Let’s be honest, all parties probably would have been better off if she had not had children, but again, if she didn’t, she had the right to decide how it would be done.  Instead, Justin told her how it was going to be and when she was bleeding in the bathroom and in pain he wouldn’t let her go to the doctor.  She has been under someone’s control for so long, I don’t think she knows what it’s like to be completely free.  

Do I take her book as gospel? Hell no.  She is going to want to put herself in the best light possible, without a doubt.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I never laughed at Britney. I think she’s spiraling again and it’s too sad to watch.

The one that really got me to thinking about all this was Amy Winehouse. I wasn't even into her music at the time, but I remember being so appalled when people were making fun of that infamous picture of her walking through the streets. She looked so distraught and obviously unwell that I couldn't fathom what was funny about it. And then of course when she died a few years later, the same assholes in the media did all sorts of eulogies about her and pretended like they didn't treat her like an animal in the zoo that they jeered at relentlessly. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Do I take her book as gospel? Hell no.  She is going to want to put herself in the best light possible, without a doubt.  

IMO, the film legend Ingrid Bergman (1915-1982) said it best re autobiographies: her exes could tell their stories but 'this is My Story'! and, in fact, that's exactly what she entitled it.

Yep, many an autobiography has wound being an ALIBI-ography!

Giving Miss Spears the benefit of the doubt (despite having not read it), I think it's most likely she's telling it as she'd like to believe it is rather than the whole-truth-and-nothing but!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  This notion that because Britney is a hot mess, the court freeing her from a conservatorship she probably should never have been subjected to in the first place and certainly should not have been kept under for over a decade caused more harm than good boggles my mind.  People are free to be hot messes!  People are free not to treat their mental illness. 

The requirements for putting an adult under the control of another adult are stringent for a very good reason.  A conservatorship is supposed to be only for people who cannot meet their basic needs and it must the least-restrictive option of achieving that.  Calling for Britney to be put back under one completely distorts her situation and what a conservatorship is.  And it's disturbing how quick some are to do so with this woman, when they're not uttering a peep about similarly-situated and -publicized men.

Amanda Bynes parents have did a much better job in regards to a conservatorship over her compared to what Britney went through. Even though Amanda's lasted almost 10 yrs she  relapsed and had public issues more than once during those years which made it seem like at least that it was much less restrictive compared to Britney's. Amanda filed to have her conservatorship terminated last year which her parents agreed to due in part to how well she's said to be doing after a lot of help from professionals in various ways over the years to get there.

• Like 6
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Regarding the Britney conversation, I feel like now would be as good a time as any to bring out this clip again:

That was a really thoughtful monologue, but it really stands out to me how the audience hysterically laughs at everything, to the point that he has to tell them that he's actually not making a joke about Anna Nicole Smith dying and what he's saying isn't meant to be funny. 

• Like 13
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I noticed how their reaction was getting to him a bit as he went on, too. 

I posted midway through watching, and they finally read the room and stop applauding inappropriately. But yeah he initially looked pretty gobsmacked at their reaction. He handled it well, though. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 9