Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/12/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Dec. 12 – Lily Collins (“Emily in Paris”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Tuesday, Dec. 13 – Edward Norton (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Wednesday, Dec. 14 – Janelle Monáe (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”); Amber Ruffin (writer, Broadway’s “Some Like It Hot”; author, “The World Record Book of Racist Stories”); Hot Holiday Toys; “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 15 – Alexandra Pelosi (“Pelosi in the House”); Audra McDonald (Broadway’s “Ohio State Murders”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Friday, Dec. 16 – Edie Falco (“Avatar: The Way of Water”); Co-hosts’ Favorite Things; “The View” continues a holiday tradition with the legendary Darlene Love joined by fellow GRAMMY® Award winner Rob Thomas for the eighth annual performance of “Christmas, Baby Please Come Home”

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, falltime said:

Yes, they go on break after this week and be back January 3. The show for Friday will film on Thursday.

I think they prerecorded an episode earlier this week.  Whoopi made a comment like this audience looks familiar.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, a lot of good guests this week--Pelosi, McDonald, and Falco in particular, then Darlene Love's performance to top the week off. That'll counter-balance the fluff holiday topics, nonstop advertising in-show, and things being pre-recorded.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I do too. I just miss Paul Schaffer and his band playing the music. 

Ditto, rather than watch The View, I just google DL & David Letterman and watch those performances.  I don't need to see the panelists wear reindeer ears, snapping their fingers in the background.  In 1986 Letterman asked Love to sing this particular song on a yearly basis because we were involved in wars overseas, (Christmas) Baby, Please Come Home was really for the troops.  It had a bittersweet poignancy to it back then.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Oh, good Lord. Here we go again with Sunny and her irrational jealousy. God help Manny if he loses his wedding ring because Sunny made him tie it to his scrubs instead of leaving it in a safe place. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

I too thougt the conversation about keeping the wedding ring on was completely ridiculous. Sunny came off looking as a completely jealous fool. I feel sorry for Manny sometimes the way that she bahaves around handsome actors that come on to the show, she's practically drooling over them, but if he takes a glance at another woman then Sunny will just lose her mind.

My husband worked as an engineer in a factory and no one that worked on the factory floor or even would occasionally walk through the factory floor was allowed to wear any kind of wedding rings or rings at all and things hanging from their neck because of the danger of getting them caught in the machinery. It never once bothered me because that was the rule there and I preferred my husband's safety I wonder what Sunny would have done if she had been married to him and said that is the policy would she have made him change jobs?

• Like 6
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Oh, good Lord. Here we go again with Sunny and her irrational jealousy. God help Manny if he loses his wedding ring because Sunny made him tie it to his scrubs instead of leaving it in a safe place. 

For an otherwise intelligent well educated woman Sunny acts like a fool with regards to Manny and the possibility of another woman.   Even if there is no other woman just the thought of it makes her nuts.  There is some insecurity and trust issues at play here.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

And I loved Whoopi telling her these "nurses" she's worried about ogling Manny, are also doing their jobs in the surgeries--making sure to save that patient's life.

I also got a good laugh at Whoopi mouthing to the camera: "This is my real face...we'll be right back" because I thought that whole discussion was ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

For an otherwise intelligent well educated woman Sunny acts like a fool with regards to Manny and the possibility of another woman.   Even if there is no other woman just the thought of it makes her nuts.  There is some insecurity and trust issues at play here.

I had to laugh because I paused to get a cup of coffee during that discussion only to come back to Sunny’s face with mouth all drawn down. I was a face maker as a kid and my mother used to tell me my face might get frozen that way. How pathetic is she? Like a ring is going to stop any woman that wants to hit that. I take it back who’d be attracted to a man with a leash  I mean his ring tied to his shirt? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I once new a couple like Sunny & Manny.  He was very smart but not really attractive & she was always letting him think "other" women were always out to get him & she was afraid of losing him.  It was all a big facade to build his ego (I thought).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I once new a couple like Sunny & Manny.  He was very smart but not really attractive & she was always letting him think "other" women were always out to get him & she was afraid of losing him.  It was all a big facade to build his ego (I thought).

I’ve known a few couples where one acted like Sunny. Guess who ended up being the cheater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I wonder what Sunny would have done if she had been married to him and said that is the policy would she have made him change jobs?

I’m actually surprised she hasn’t made him tattoo a wedding ring on his finger…as insurance. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

So Whoopi isn’t hawking her ugly Christmas sweaters this year?

Sara looks gorgeous today.

Im always surprised how normal and nice Edward Norton is when interviewed. He is such a great actor you’d think he’d be snooty but he’s not. I’ve heard this movie is fantastic. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

This Telaflora ad.  Really show? It feels like this show has become an hour long commercial.

OMG-is every host going to do these ads during the show? I can't with this.  I just had a full body cringe watching and hearing Sunnys ad. I must seek medical attention.  

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

So Whoopi isn’t hawking her ugly Christmas sweaters this year?

I saw Whoopi on someone else's talk show (maybe Sherri or Drew Barrymore?) hawking the sweaters a few weeks back.   Maybe ABC put her foot down on self promotion on the show?   

• Applause 6

It sounded as though Ed Norton was going to say something interesting about American History X (a good but disturbing movie) but didn't have enough time because his segment ended and they went to the holiday deals after commercial. I suppose that Sunny didn't expect Ed to have something more to say about the film than agree with her that it is more resonant today than it was in the 1990s. I think the panel needs to allow guests to have time to speak to a question like that instead of hurrying along to the "commercial" after the commercial. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

It sounded as though Ed Norton was going to say something interesting about American History X (a good but disturbing movie) but didn't have enough time because his segment ended and they went to the holiday deals after commercial. I suppose that Sunny didn't expect Ed to have something more to say about the film than agree with her that it is more resonant today than it was in the 1990s. I think the panel needs to allow guests to have time to speak to a question like that instead of hurrying along to the "commercial" after the commercial. 

yeah, it's rude the way they cut the guests off.  why have them on if you don't want them to be able to express their thoughts on the topic.

maybe have the guest on in the beginning of the show and the fluff topics at the end and cut them off if need be.  i imagine we can all live without talking in depth about the girl with messy hair in her picture or whether you should tolerate your husband having a female friend

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Ads ad nauseam, after the initial spirited discussion re how slowly, lackadaisically and incompetently the US has reacted to the danger of losing our democracy, especially compared to the swift action in Peru and Germany,  But we DID get to hear Whoopi expound on her school larnin’ (all 8?? years or so of it!)

And then we discovered, to nobody’s surprise, that Sunny hadn’t partaken in the wonders of therapy, despite having had “such a hard life” per her pa.  (Hmm…she was an apparently beloved only child, Mom was a teacher (despite residency in public housing), pretty Asunción went to private school, played basketball, won scholarships, had a college term abroad, attended Notre Dame law school, has many friends,  married a surgeon, and has healthy, high-achieving, attractive kids - get thee to a head doc asap!)  I know it’s beneficial in many cases, but as Sunny did note, therapy is not an option for many average Americans, whether due to finances, lack of time or unavailability of services.  So, great for Adele, Joy, Sara, Alyssa and apparently most drama majors!  Don’t most insurance plans only cover group therapy; if so, pretty unhelpful IMO - do you really wanna spill your guts before a bunch of strangers?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Oneofem said:

Ads ad nauseam, after the initial spirited discussion re how slowly, lackadaisically and incompetently the US has reacted to the danger of losing our democracy, especially compared to the swift action in Peru and Germany,  But we DID get to hear Whoopi expound on her school larnin’ (all 8?? years or so of it!)

And then we discovered, to nobody’s surprise, that Sunny hadn’t partaken in the wonders of therapy, despite having had “such a hard life” per her pa.  (Hmm…she was an apparently beloved only child, Mom was a teacher (despite residency in public housing), pretty Asunción went to private school, played basketball, won scholarships, had a college term abroad, attended Notre Dame law school, has many friends,  married a surgeon, and has healthy, high-achieving, attractive kids - get thee to a head doc asap!)  I know it’s beneficial in many cases, but as Sunny did note, therapy is not an option for many average Americans, whether due to finances, lack of time or unavailability of services.  So, great for Adele, Joy, Sara, Alyssa and apparently most drama majors!  Don’t most insurance plans only cover group therapy; if so, pretty unhelpful IMO - do you really wanna spill your guts before a bunch of strangers?

Most insurance covers individual therapy.   But even with insurance there are still plenty of barriers.  A lot aren't taking new patients (increased demand with the pandemic).  A lot of people can't afford the copays for regular visits, can't afford to take off work to attend (or can't find a therapist who has evening/weekend availability).  And as Alyssa pointed out,  all therapists are not created equal,   You have to find the right fit.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
20 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Most insurance covers individual therapy.   But even with insurance there are still plenty of barriers.  A lot aren't taking new patients (increased demand with the pandemic).  A lot of people can't afford the copays for regular visits, can't afford to take off work to attend (or can't find a therapist who has evening/weekend availability).  And as Alyssa pointed out,  all therapists are not created equal,   You have to find the right fit.  

Agree.  I have said that it is like "kissing a lot of ugly frogs til you find the handsome prince" or princess, y'all get what I mean?  And that is hard when someone is looking for help.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The December shows are usually more boring than normal, since the QVC-fest is x10. Regardless, Joy putting on at the end of the Adele-therapy discussion was a highlight for me. "Oh, well, whatever--he's dead now." 🤣🤣🤣

IMO, Joy’s bringing up how her father compared her looks unfavorably to another girl’s, reveals the limits of therapy; that “kidding” remark still seemed to sting after 70+ years, dad’s death - and tons of therapy.  And (although Joy is my fav panelist), it wasn’t the exactly the worst experience to see Ms “comedians are different from the ordinary Jane, and allowed to poke often cruel fun at the foibles and features of others, sans rebuke” hoist with her own petard.  But pls don’t leave us, Joy! Love it when Whoops is off hawking her wares and Joy is the moderator.

• Like 4

Regarding the argument that codifying gay marriage will lead to beastiality. I don't think people who are currently engaged in beastiality are just waiting around for this law so they can try to marry their cow. Everyone knows nobody is buying a cow if they are getting the milk free. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

How about toasters, though? 

16 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I thought of Elisabeth's horrible remarks while I was watching this discussion. 

I remember when EH made that remark I made the joke on another site that if I was going to marry something that turned on it would not be something kept in the kitchen.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
On 12/12/2022 at 12:23 PM, bluegirl147 said:

I used to like Sunny but lately the level of immaturity she's displaying lately is definitely NOT at all flattering. She's like a 16 year old with her first boyfriend. Her poor husband!!!

On 12/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

As has already been said this is now basically a bunch of commercials with breaks for commercials and maybe 5 minutes of actual talk.

This is why you must tape EVERYTHING! This show in particular really really infuriates me when guests get rudely cut off because bloody ABC has to move some useless shit. Happens far too often. This is why I love streaming.

Edited by limestation
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, limestation said:

I used to like Sunny but lately the level of immaturity she's displaying lately is definitely NOT at all flattering. She's like a 16 year old with her first boyfriend. Her poor husband!!!

And for SOME REASON, she's also trying to be a comedian or considered for roles in rom-coms.  She makes comments she thinks are funny (they're the opposite), then gives a tiny lifted shoulder and eye-roll, and then--AND THEN, she picks up her mug and pretends to take a sip.  TIRING!!!

Can you IMAGINE how Manny is gossiped about at work?  It's humiliating...and he probably doesn't DARE to bring up any of her shortcomings.

48 minutes ago, limestation said:

This is why I love streaming.

And why I LOVE my DVR.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

There already was a Broadway musical based on Some Like it Hot. It was titled Sugar and was done in the 1960’s or 70’s I think.
(Amber Ruffin’s version looks great!)

I had forgotten.  The 'net tells us:   How long did Sugar run on Broadway?   505 performances     Sugar opened on Broadway at the Majestic Theatre on April 9, 1972 after 14 previews and closed on June 23, 1973   

• Producer:  David Merrick
  • Director/Choreographer:  Gower Champion
  • Music: Jule Styne
  • Book: Peter Stone
  • Lyrics: Bob Merrill
  • Robert Morse, Tony Roberts, Cyril Richard and Elaine Joyce...as JERRY, JOE, OSGOOD, and SUGAR
  • Useful 3

MUG WATCH ~ SUNNY WATCH ~ SIP THE TEA

Is Sunny sending secret messages to family, friends, and fans?

She seems to lift her mug to her lips OFTEN (never drinking) when she's playing COY with some bit of gossip, inuendo, or sermon she just gave.                                                                                            Anyone notice?

• Like 1

When a show/film is continually promoted, sad to say, it often disappoints - I was eager to see "Knives Out," but found it fairly mediocre; so am  slightly doubtful re its successor.  OTOH, Janelle Monae was an interesting guest & certainly made a dramatic entrance!  Recently I took a few items to sell at a vintage clothing store.  NOW I understand why they bought several of my late spouse's sport coats - too bad my beret supply is negligible.  And you know you're getting on sans actually getting it on, when Santa looks sorta sexy to you!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

It was super awkward when Janelle Monáe had no idea what marriage law Sara was asking about. 

Whoopi and I had the same -blah- reaction to that noise-making toy that’s totally going to be on tik tok.

• Like 5
On 12/12/2022 at 12:23 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Well educated..yes...but intelligent...um not sure about that.

I feel bad for her husband, but he did choose to marry her even after she threw his phones onto the freeway.

She also says she'd let someone know if their hair is looking bad...but I doubt she'd welcome anyone telling her if her hair looked bad.

I love whenever Whoopi puts Sunny in her place 😄

Yay to Darlene Love..but I cringe to see what singer the View will pair with her that isn't on Ms. Love's level.

• Love 1

Alexandria Pelosi is a great guest; animated, intelligent, vivacious and candid. Very much herself and not pushing an agenda.

Sara's make-up is too severe today. She is a lovely gal and her make up in combo with the bright red suit was too harsh. Just sayin'...

Joy looks great. Sunny's maribou cuffs are too much for a daytime show even though this is a "holiday" show. AFG looks great and her hair and make up are on point. Perhaps her foundation is a little too dark.  I also like how she is maintaining poise and is slowly asserting a greater presence among the panel.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Perhaps Harry and Meghan and the rest of the Royal Family (the closest family members) should consider family counseling instead of publicizing all their grievances. There really is nowhere good to go by turning this into a thing where the public gets involved in your family issues. Each time you put out some "tell all" or "record update", you create more turmoil and bad feelings.  H & M, if you want to counter unfair coverage, stop giving ammunition to the press. Concentrate on the good work you do and stop whining about who said what to whom so that the only information they have to work with is positive or at least neutral. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Perhaps Harry and Meghan and the rest of the Royal Family (the closest family members) should consider family counseling instead of publicizing all their grievances. There really is nowhere good to go by turning this into a thing where the public gets involved in your family issues. Each time you put out some "tell all" or "record update", you create more turmoil and bad feelings.  H & M, if you want to counter unfair coverage, stop giving ammunition to the press. Concentrate on the good work you do and stop whining about who said what to whom so that the only information they have to work with is positive or at least neutral. 

I disagree. Why should Harry & Meghan not speak their truth?  I watched the documentary and for what it's worth I found them sincere.  I truly believe they just want to live their lives without all the vitriol and hate thrown their way.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I disagree. Why should Harry & Meghan not speak their truth?  I watched the documentary and for what it's worth I found them sincere.  I truly believe they just want to live their lives without all the vitriol and hate thrown their way.  

I have no doubt that they will continue to speak "their" truth. However, there's rarely only one side that has objective truth on their side; it tends to be subjective based on how you interpret or react to what other people do. The question I have is what is their goal here? I don't think that putting out their side of things is going to result in everyone (RF, press, public in general) agreeing that they (H & M) were correct and were wronged and just let everything go. I think that this will just up the ante in the disputes, because at some point "the other side" is also going to feel "unheard and misunderstood", and more stories will come out saying how H & M are selfish, thoughtless, rude, etc. So, if they want to eliminate the vitriol coming their way, I don't think this is going to accomplish that. Just my opinion, of course, but we'll see what happens after this documentary is all over. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The fact that it's "their truth" doesn't make it "the truth" and if they want to live their lives without all the crap then they need to stop setting themselves up for it by being in the public eye so much. But then the millions would stop pouring in, she wouldn't be the center of attention that she seems to crave & they might have to live a normal life................................ oh hang on isn't that what they keep saying they want.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

The fact that it's "their truth" doesn't make it "the truth"

So they are supposed to let the media tell stories that some people will believe is "the truth" without doing anything to try to correct what is said about them?  

6 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

But then the millions would stop pouring in, she wouldn't be the center of attention that she seems to crave & they might have to live a normal life................................ oh hang on isn't that what they keep saying they want.

It is your opinion that she craves the attention.  People can be famous and still live normal lives.

I honestly do not understand the intense dislike Meghan seems to inspire in people.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So they are supposed to let the media tell stories that some people will believe is "the truth" without doing anything to try to correct what is said about them?  

It is your opinion that she craves the attention.  People can be famous and still live normal lives.

I honestly do not understand the intense dislike Meghan seems to inspire in people.

Yes ignoring it sounds like a good plan and yes it's my opinion that she does crave the attention as it's all about her & the fact that you mentioned famous is what seems to give people such a low opinion of her. The dislike in just my opinion is because she comes across as one of those people who thinks that her shit doesn't stink, just like another MM who used to be on this tv show.