Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/12/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I honestly do not understand the intense dislike Meghan seems to inspire in people.

I was thinking the same thing about Sunny, but I think there's a shared reason for how hyper scrutinized they are. Anyway, I don't feel bad for Sunny's husband mostly because I don't think Sunny is terrible like so many here do, and I agree with what was said somewhere above pointing out that Manny did marry her after she destroyed his phone. He already knew all about Sunny when he married her and must've liked it? If her possessiveness is not a secret to us, he probably knows better than we do. LOL It was probably from yesterday's show I'm thinking of, just wanted to say Sunny looked really nice in that flashback photo in her Christmas message to her aunt (I think it was her aunt?) who has Alzheimer's. As for Markle, I don't keep up with the royals discussion outside of topics that come up on shows like The View, so I was surprised to hear Harry's brother was one of the people they didn't get along with. I always thought it was the older royals who were the problem, that's a shame since I always thought the older brother and his wife seemed nice anyway.

Today was a decent show, I loved Joy making fun of Sunny's outfit with the boa feathers on the lower arms and Alyssa's mermaid skirt. A shame since Sunny did look good today aside from the outfit. Alyssa's hair was nice bigger like that--maybe just me? She looked like she could be a Real Housewife from New Jersey. The interviews were, as expected, pretty good. I've always thought Sara has a nice laugh. I just had that thought from her laughing over Pelosi's clothes shade in the interview.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Alyssa's hair was nice bigger like that--maybe just me? She looked like she could be a Real Housewife from New Jersey.  

Lordy, talk about damning with faint praise! Personally, I didn’t like her hair swept way up off her impressive forehead - she looks better with a fringe/softness framing her face.  Her reactions to Alexandra Pelosi seemed overly animated to me - flashing a huge, toothy grin at the audience while applauding madly at the end of the first part of the interview looked a bit fake to me. Seems we now have Laughing Lady instead of Frownie Frau on the panel (def an improvement, I admit.)

Sunny interrupted almost everyone today.  Her view, that oppression and/or suffering cannot be compared, is valid, but even Oprah has said that she’s been rich and she’s been poor - and rich is better!  I was also quite surprised that our Reader took time away from literature to watch some teevee - possibly she only views shows that have a racially diverse cast?  Kudos to her, if so, and she should expound upon it.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I disagree. Why should Harry & Meghan not speak their truth?  I watched the documentary and for what it's worth I found them sincere.  I truly believe they just want to live their lives without all the vitriol and hate thrown their way.  

Because they're professional victims and there are 3 sides to every conflict.  H & M'S, royal families, and the truth.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

So they are supposed to let the media tell stories that some people will believe is "the truth" without doing anything to try to correct what is said about them?  

It is your opinion that she craves the attention.  People can be famous and still live normal lives.

I honestly do not understand the intense dislike Meghan seems to inspire in people.

May e because some of their “truth” has been proved to be lies…or at the least exaggerations?  The media loved them until she started showing her true self…she didn’t want to follow protocol, she didnt want the help offered to assist her in learning about how it all works ,etc.  She  thought she knew it all annd would change the stuffy monarchy and surprise…she didn’t and lost a lot of goodwill along the way. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

Sara's make-up is too severe today.

It was a little harsher than usual, but I kind of liked it.  I liked her hair, too.  I wish she'd wear her hair more like that instead of the weird hair-do she had yesterday.

I'm warming up to Alyssa.  She's so much better than a certain previous host.  I wish Sunny and Ana would be nicer to her.

Not a Harry/Meghan fan.  She obviously made it her mission to drive a wedge between Harry and his family.  (Diana must be rolling over in her grave to see her two boys not speaking.)  Same thing happened in my family when my brother married an insecure narcissist 30 years ago who turned him against his entire family.  It took a few years to accomplish it, but she did it.  She wanted to be the only one in his life.  I guess it happens a lot, even in a royal family.  By the way, I didn't see the Netflix special, but I saw some clips----who the heck films every private moment of their life unless they have an agenda to someday sell the footage?

• Like 7

I love how the response to the level of vitriol & racism Meghan Markle experiences from the British press is ‘but they live in a $30 million mansion , so it can’t be true’ - apparently AFG reads the daily mail, since that’s what they harp on all the time - ignoring that they have led the charge on crafting the narrative.  I have no idea if MM is an awful person, but I’m suspicious that the only sources that say she is are the UK  TABLOID press, and the seemingly unstable paternal side of her family who either don’t have a relationship with her and/ or have taken money from the tabloids to contribute to the tabloid narrative.

Also, Harry is a grown a** man - stop with the ‘MM’ has destroyed the relationship between the brothers!  

Edited by McKavity
  • Like 3
  • Applause 9
1 hour ago, McKavity said:

I have no idea if MM is an awful person, but I’m suspicious that the only sources that say she is are the UK  TABLOID press, and the seemingly unstable paternal side of her family who either don’t have a relationship with her and/ or have taken money from the tabloids to contribute to the tabloid narrative.

This.  It is telling that no former coworkers have come forward with negative stories about her.  I find it sad that people choose to believe unnamed sources or a bitter half sister who had no meaningful relationship with her.  When Meghan didn't respond to the negative stories she was criticized and now when she does she is labeled a liar.  We know what can  happen to a woman who marries into the BRF.  We saw how it affected Diana.  

1 hour ago, McKavity said:

Also, Harry is a grown a** man - stop with the ‘MM’ has destroyed the relationship between the brothers!  

I tend to believe there were issues between the brothers long before Meghan came in the picture.

• Like 16
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It was nice having all the co-hosts there today for once. Whoopi asking Love about the Queen of Christmas drama made me giggle.

I thought it was a great show.  I always love Darlene Love, so it was great to see her, and yes, I laughed at the "Queen of Christmas" nonsense, too.  (And, I'm definitely in Darlene's corner on that one!!!)  Funny thing - Darlene Love does a Christmas show near me every year at a local, small theater.  We've attended a number of times, pre-Covid.  I could swear that I remember her wearing the exact outfit she had on today the last time we saw her, in 2019.  My first thought was that she's not only talented, beautiful and seemingly very kind, she's practical, too! 

Everyone looked very nice - I loved Joy's sparkly outfit, especially.  Looked fancy but super, super comfortable!  Would love to know the designer.

They gave away some nice gifts today - pretty awesome to get a trip on Virgin Cruises!! 

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Not a Harry/Meghan fan.  She obviously made it her mission to drive a wedge between Harry and his family.  (Diana must be rolling over in her grave to see her two boys not speaking.)  Same thing happened in my family when my brother married an insecure narcissist 30 years ago who turned him against his entire family.  It took a few years to accomplish it, but she did it.  She wanted to be the only one in his life.  I guess it happens a lot, even in a royal family.  By the way, I didn't see the Netflix special, but I saw some clips----who the heck films every private moment of their life unless they have an agenda to someday sell the footage?

This is what happens when one doesn't watch the show/series. I've always been neutral on Meghan, but she is Not anywhere near close to Wallis Simpson, nor is she a villain who rubbed her hands evilly to make it her mission to come between Harry and William. That would be The Firm, institution, or whatever those fuckwits call themselves and the U.K. media/paparazzi.

Some of the stuff directed toward Meghan, including the death threats, were absolutely horrifying. At the same time, I don't think William is the "villain" as he's portrayed to be.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, After7Only said:

Most insurance covers individual therapy.   But even with insurance there are still plenty of barriers.  A lot aren't taking new patients (increased demand with the pandemic).  A lot of people can't afford the copays for regular visits, can't afford to take off work to attend (or can't find a therapist who has evening/weekend availability).  And as Alyssa pointed out,  all therapists are not created equal,   You have to find the right fit.  

All this. I had good luck with a licensed practical counselor in the past, better than a psychiatrist I saw prior to her. But due to some pretty bad depression, I really wanted a female psychiatrist. I called SO many numbers. Either they didn't take new patients, didn't take insurance, moved, retired, something with every number I called. I finally gave up and just tried out another licensed practical counselor. I like her, feel comfortable with her, and she does give some good advice. But close to $2,000 later, I don't know if it's been worth it or not. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to make the drive. Sometimes I feel fine and have had a good day and then feel blue after talking about my problems. Not sure if I should quit it entirely or reduce the frequency of sessions. 

• Hugs 8
On 12/16/2022 at 6:39 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I tend to believe there were issues between the brothers long before Meghan came in the picture.

Aren't there always issues between The Heir and The Spare?  I'm sure they hear the term and learn the rewards/responsibilities from the time they're born.

• Like 4
On 12/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

It was nice having all the co-hosts there today for once.

I'm ALWAYS tired of Whoopi, but I was happy to see them all too.  I wish Whoopi would:

• Stop inviting whatever guests SHE likes to come and be a co-host for the day.
  • Does it EVER happen?
  • Does she tell the Executive Producer to make notes when she makes offers?
  • Does SHE ever follow up?
  • Is that the prerogative of a Moderator...or can any old co-host make the same offers?
  • How do all those poor insecure celebrities who are NEVER invited feel?
  • AND...I thought her INSTANT (interruptive and "educated") DEFENSE of Crypto was hilarious...and typical. 
  • Like 4
On 12/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I'm warming up to Alyssa.  She's so much better than a certain previous host.  I wish Sunny and Ana would be nicer to her.

I like her...and am so GLAD she was chosen. She seems to be able to give and take--even with Whoopi*. I think Ana and Alyssa have past political problems, but Sunny is just plain jealous.  It's too bad the group discussion on THERAPY didn't give Sunny a nudge--even to consider therapy.  She really needs it...and I wonder how long she can maintain the CONTROLLING angle in her marriage.  Her insecurities are on display every day--in her FACE!  She doesn't have to say a word.

*Although...although when Whoopi is through with you (Hello, Meghan), you'll eventually be shown the door.  Tred lightly, Alyssa.

• Like 4
On 12/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Not a Harry/Meghan fan.  She obviously made it her mission to drive a wedge between Harry and his family.

Am I truly oblivious?  When and how would I have learned that she did such a thing?  Am I the only one?

On 12/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Rainyhawk said:

May e because some of their “truth” has been proved to be lies…or at the least exaggerations?  The media loved them until she started showing her true self…she didn’t want to follow protocol, she didnt want the help offered to assist her in learning about how it all works ,etc.  She  thought she knew it all annd would change the stuffy monarchy and surprise…she didn’t and lost a lot of goodwill along the way. 

Yep.  I AM truly oblivious, but I do feel sorry for this young couple--whether I know anything or not.

• Like 4
On 12/14/2022 at 8:19 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Well educated..yes...but intelligent...um not sure about that.

Sunny IS "intelligent" in that her IQ is higher than average--but she's missing something in dealing with others.  Her insecurities and jealousy seem to color everything she does and says--and MUCH MORE lately.  Skipping through school because she could do the work probably didn't do her any favors...socially.  She graduated from high school at age 16 and said she didn't "fit in" in college.  Being an only child and (probably) not having many friends because of her age caused some "stunting" of her rise into adulthood.

She also says she'd let someone know if their hair is looking bad...but I doubt she'd welcome anyone telling her if her hair looked bad.

I'm sure she lets EVERYONE know when they don't measure up to her standards. This kind of criticism (hair, make-up, attitude, friendships, etc.), would have been SHUT DOWN FAST if she'd had a little gang of friends from the age 12 and on.  She was the precious, precocious only daughter who (apparently) could do no wrong.  That kind of growing up did her no favors.  She didn't learn a lot of the basics WE did as kids (through trial and ERROR).

I love whenever Whoopi puts Sunny in her place 😄

Yeah!  I don't like Whoopi, but I do enjoy that.  Whoopi seems to be OVER Sunny's coyness...definitely OVER.

• Like 3
On 12/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I once new a couple like Sunny & Manny.  He was very smart but not really attractive & she was always letting him think "other" women were always out to get him & she was afraid of losing him.  It was all a big facade to build his ego (I thought).

My best friend for decades said something did something similar about her second husband, "I'll always tell '____' privately...and let him hear it when we're in a group, that he's the most handsome man I know. It's just one way to keep him interested."   For several months I heard a coworker BRAGGING about her handsome husband, so I was expecting a MOVIE STAR at the company Christmas party.  Average or below!  I can't do that stuff. Suppose that's why I was divorced and never married again?   Hmm...regarding that best friend: I never thought to ask if she treated her first husband the same way...but I don't think I'll rock the boat at this point.  Her divorce was in the 80s.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:19 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

She also says she'd let someone know if their hair is looking bad...but I doubt she'd welcome anyone telling her if her hair looked bad.

Dear Sunny, some days your hair looks terrible. Sometimes less (volume) is more. Really, I’m telling you this out of love, girlfriend.

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'm ALWAYS tired of Whoopi, but I was happy to see them all too.  I wish Whoopi would:

• Stop inviting whatever guests SHE likes to come and be a co-host for the day.
  • Does it EVER happen?
  • Does she tell the Executive Producer to make notes when she makes offers?
  • Does SHE ever follow up?
  • Is that the prerogative of a Moderator...or can any old co-host make the same offers?
  • How do all those poor insecure celebrities who are NEVER invited feel?
  • AND...I thought her INSTANT (interruptive and "educated") DEFENSE of Crypto was hilarious...and typical. 

Oh, I take this as just being polite and acknowledging that it was a good interview. I don’t think her invitation is meant to be taken literally. However, as to your last bullet point?  I wonder how much Whoopi lost in her crypto investments. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don’t think her invitation is meant to be taken literally.

• It sounds literal to me.  Every time.  
  • If it's not a real offer, why say it?  
  • Almost every guest seems surprised and grateful--and gives some sort of "looking forward to it" response.
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder how much Whoopi lost in her crypto investments. 

In trying to find some info online, I came across this:  "In the 1990s, Whoopi Goldberg was a spokeswoman for Flooz, that era’s cyber currency that was ultimately brought down because of crime and fraud."  Haven't had time to look further, but I probably will.

Is Whoopi's a case of "fool me once," and I'll never admit I was fooled again?

• Like 2
On 12/14/2022 at 6:44 PM, Aileen said:

It was super awkward when Janelle Monáe had no idea what marriage law Sara was asking about. 

I can't stand her. She is one of those who constantly drop what she considers, controversial bombs, just to get attention. And considering how much a part of the "community" she is, she is woefully ignorant on the latest news.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:20 AM, Back Atcha said:
  • Almost every guest seems surprised and grateful--and gives some sort of "looking forward to it" response.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am so bloody sick of her saying this at the end of every single show, to every single guest!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/15/2022 at 10:19 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I didn't see the Netflix special, but I saw some clips----who the heck films every private moment of their life unless they have an agenda to someday sell the footage?

I know, and am also related to, a lot of people who photograph and film - and then share on FB - what seems like every moment of their life.  The odds of them making a sale of this at any point are slim to none.  It's what people seem to do.

• Useful 1
On 12/18/2022 at 12:20 AM, Back Atcha said:

And so funny how you never seem to see any of them actually there for it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 12/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, LakeGal said:

I just think Sunny is having a midlife crisis.  She keeps trying to act like a very young woman.  She often looks and sounds foolish because of it.  

Yes, I think she’s trying to relive a youth she may have missed since she was apparently a prodigy. She’s having a Beyoncé circa 2005 moment.