Best Supporting Actress: Keke Palmer, Nope
Best Screenplay: Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Animated Film: Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda, Top Gun: Maverick
Best Non-Fiction Film: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Best International Film: EO
Best First Film: Aftersun
Special Award: Jake Perlin, dGenerate Films, Jafar Panahi

Ke Huy Quan, Keke Palmer, and Marcel the Shell With Shoes On are exactly my picks.

I have not yet seen Tár, so Michelle Yeoh is my Best Actress pick at present.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Golden Globe nominations.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/entertainment/golden-globe-nominations/index.html

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

“Babylon”

“The Banshees of Inisherin”

“Everything Everywhere All at Once”

“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”

“Triangle of Sadness”

Best Motion Picture – Drama

“Avatar: The Way of Water”

“Elvis”

“The Fabelmans”

“TAR”

“Top Gun: Maverick”

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I would be shocked at this point if Brendan Fraser doesn't get it for The Whale. They LOVE physical transformation stories, they love comebacks (although to be honest I don't think Brendan was ever in the A-list elite category), and his character is gay but we don't actually see him have sex with another man so that makes the voters squirm less as opposed to Brokeback Mountain.

Spoiler

Also he died. They love a death scene.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

I've always bemoaned the fact that blockbusters and other mainstream genres like comedy and horror are usually ignored by the awards show (and get their fair share of insulting reviews from people who like "real" art), but this is what? The 2nd or 3rd time that Top Gun: Maverick has been nominated for something other than technical awards?  I saw it in IMAX because I knew the flight sequences would be stunning, so I'm all for nominations in the technical categories, but the rest? I just don't get it.

• Love 3

The PGA awards tend to nominate more blockbusters than other movies do in general.  I think for a lot of Best Picture winners/nominees, more priority is placed on acting and script whereas with the PGA, the technicals get more weight.

• Useful 1

I'm not hearing great things about The Whale, save Brendan's performance, so I don't know if I'll watch it, but I'm so damned happy for him.  I met him once when my husband worked on a movie with him and he's a sweetheart (my husband agrees--says he's great to work with). 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm not hearing great things about The Whale, save Brendan's performance, so I don't know if I'll watch it, but I'm so damned happy for him.  I met him once when my husband worked on a movie with him and he's a sweetheart (my husband agrees--says he's great to work with). 

Same. I really don’t care about seeing the movie, but I’m rooting for Brendan anyway. If Joaquin can win for phoning in a Heath Ledger rip-off, then Brendan can win for a performance in a problematic movie that he at least put his heart and soul into.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3

One thing that makes me sad is Elle Fanning being shut out for "The Girl from Plainville".  I thought she was incredible. 

I also thought I'd hear more about Renee Zellweger for "The Thing about Pam", but that's mostly because she almost always delivers and definitely did "uglying up" for the role.

"The Staircase" hasn't won anything, but at least they got a bunch of nominations.  That was definitely one of the best shows I saw this year, even though I put "The Dropout" a bit higher.  I'm happy that Amanda Seyfried is getting very well deserved accolades.

I also thought Anne Hathaway and Jared Leto were good in "WeCrashed", but I never hear anyone talk about it, so the non-reaction is less surprising.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

BAFTA Nominations are out. Everything Everywhere All at Once continues to pull ahead, with the Fablemans missing out on several major categories.

What I found most surprising is that neither Paul Mescal or Daisy Edgar Jones have been nominated for the EE Rising Star award, although he picked up a Best Actor nomination this year. Both have been building impressive resumes since Normal People.

I’ve seen a few comments on Twitter that Andrea Riseboroighs nomination for an Oscar is people jumping on bandwagons.. I haven’t seen the film and my only issue with the leading actress categoric is that I didn’t think Michelle Williams deserved a nom but anyone know what the issue would be with Risenoroighs nom?

I don't know why there is an issue with the Andrea Riseborough nomination. Yes, it was a very late entry into the Oscar race (it was being pushed for the Spirits but nothing more) and got celebrity backing but there were other celebrity backed films this year.  It's just an upset. This film literally started their Oscar campaign about 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

I don't know why there is an issue with the Andrea Riseborough nomination. Yes, it was a very late entry into the Oscar race (it was being pushed for the Spirits but nothing more) and got celebrity backing but there were other celebrity backed films this year.  It's just an upset. This film literally started their Oscar campaign about 3 weeks ago.

Well, it’s more because she got it over Viola Davis in The Woman King and Danielle Deadwyler in Till (she really was good, it’s such bullshit she’s been all but ignored this season), but people have pointed out that we should be more pissed that Ana de Armas got nominated for that terrible Blonde movie.

While I know Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio will probably win Best Animated feature, part of me wants Turning Red to win just to spite the ridiculous controversy.

At least Stephanie Hsu didn’t get snubbed.

• Like 3

I still have to read all of the nominations, but Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: Way of Water?  Seriously?  I've been vocal over the years about the Academy needing to recognize more mainstream movies, but they should be more than just great technically.  The story and acting should account for something.  While there was some good acting in Avatar and both movies were great technically, the stories were just "blah", imo.  Maybe that's an UO, though.

I've been interested in Triangle of Sadness, so that nomination gives me a reason to watch it sooner rather than later.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, it’s more because she got it over Viola Davis in The Woman King and Danielle Deadwyler in Till (she really was good, it’s such bullshit she’s been all but ignored this season), but people have pointed out that we should be more pissed that Ana de Armas got nominated for that terrible Blonde movie.

I'm eagerly waiting for Michelle Williams to get the "it's her turn" Oscar, but the writing was already on the wall this season that she has no chance of winning, so I'm not sure why they wasted a nomination on her.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

While I know Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio will probably win Best Animated feature, part of me wants Turning Red to win just to spite the ridiculous controversy.

Can you outline the controversy for me?  Also, I just loved Turning Red.  And I NEVER watch animated movies.  I was so pleased with it.

With Avatar getting a Best Picture nom, is it not weird that there's no nomination for Best Animated or Best Cinematography? 

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I still have to read all of the nominations, but Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: Way of Water?  Seriously?  I've been vocal over the years about the Academy needing to recognize more mainstream movies, but they should be more than just great technically.  The story and acting should account for something.  While there was some good acting in Avatar and both movies were great technically, the stories were just "blah", imo.  Maybe that's an UO, though.

I've been interested in Triangle of Sadness, so that nomination gives me a reason to watch it sooner rather than later.

I'll admit that I was so happy about Avatar, just because I love when genre pictures get nominated, and yet I haven't even seen it.  LOL.  that's my bad.  That's just on the strength of me loving the first one so much.  But I did find Maverick just barely above average, so I roll my eyes at that one, but that was never not going to be nominated with how many people are so fanatic about it.  To the point of threatening movie critics, I mean just insane.

I have no interest in TOS, based on what I know about the content of that movie -- not for me!  I was a fan of Charlbi Dean from her modelling career though, and it's so sad that she passed so young.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Can you outline the controversy for me?  Also, I just loved Turning Red.  And I NEVER watch animated movies.  I was so pleased with it.

People--by which I mean males--complained that nobody could relate to the main character being a twelve-year-old Chinese-Canadian girl. Also, the references to periods.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I think people are surprised because she has no recognition from any of the run ups, not even,I believe the big slate of Critics awards.

There is also the fact that supposedly her campaign was championed/spearheaded by a big  slew of A-list celebrities who hosted screenings of the film and were using their own SM to praise her and the film.

And yeah, I find the Ana de Armas nomination more than a little squicky given the film.  I gather her performance was good. And all things being equal that should be the only thing that matters.  But this is the Oscars, sometimes the best performance is beside the point.

• Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

People--by which I mean males--complained that nobody could relate to the main character being a twelve-year-old Chinese-Canadian girl. Also, the references to periods.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  That I knew!  Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant there was some kind of controversy with Pinocchio!  😄

24 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

There is also the fact that supposedly her campaign was championed/spearheaded by a big  slew of A-list celebrities who hosted screenings of the film and were using their own SM to praise her and the film.

Why do celebrities do this?  I'm so ignorant about this stuff.  But I would like to know more.  Why this movie and why her?

25 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And yeah, I find the Ana de Armas nomination more than a little squicky given the film.  I gather her performance was good. And all things being equal that should be the only thing that matters.  But this is the Oscars, sometimes the best performance is beside the point.

Even though I think the creator of the movie is a sick person and I'm disgusted with the film itself (I couldn't watch more than about 60 seconds) I am fine with her performance being nominated because I separate that.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even though I think the creator of the movie is a sick person and I'm disgusted with the film itself (I couldn't watch more than about 60 seconds) I am fine with her performance being nominated because I separate that.  

Yeah, from a personal standpoint, I think both the director and Joyce Carol Oates are garbage people.  I am fine with de Armas being recognized for the performance since in my personal opinion the performance should be the driving force of the award.  My comment was more along the lines of acknowledging that historically (and even currently) the Oscars have allowed circumstance beyond best performance to dictate result.

• Like 2

I like Ana de Armas but I would have rather had her spot filled by Viola or Danielle. Nominating her for that movie would be like nominating Michael Chiklis for Wired. But even if her performance wasn’t good, I suppose it wouldn’t be the first time the Academy elevated a performance from an overall shitty and overhyped movie—hi, Joaquin Phoenix.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I like Ana de Armas but I would have rather had her spot filled by Viola or Danielle. 

Such a shame about the snubs.

Unfortunately, after Lupito N'yongo was snubbed for "Us", and every actor and their mother in "Bombshell" were nominated and Scarlett Johansson was nominated for two separate movies instead, nothing surprises me.  I am beyond jaded.

Another big snub everyone is talking about is "Decision to Leave".  I still have to see it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

I know Babylon was largely considered a steaming pile of elephant shit, and I'm glad that Chezelle's blantantly pandering montage at the end was denied, but I can't help but feel a bit bummed for Diego Calva and hope this doesn't stall his career.

Out of all the categories, I'm really curious to see how Original Screenplay plays out since all of the arguably "frontrunners" (Banshees, Everything Everywhere, Tar, Fablemans) are duking it out there (meanwhile, I think Women Talking likely has adapted locked down, unless Western Front gets a sudden gets a boost with all of its noms today or Glass Onion surprises.)  Could go either way, but I wonder if Martin McDonagh has an advantage since he also got a director nod (I know some were predicting he'd miss that), so there seems to be a sizable amount of support for him and the film.  Plus, I can see voters digging the rapid, witty dialogue stuff he is known for (similar to Tarantino and the Coen Brothers.)

Acting categories are going the way I suspected they will.  Actor is likely a three-way race, but I suspect Butler will be hampered by the old "he's young and will likely have more chances" concept, so I suspect either Farrell or Fraser will pull it off.  Either is fine, but my heart wants it to be Farrell (always been a fan), but suspects it will be Fraser because he's got the best story for it (and, yes, a very good performance.)  Actress is likely a two-way race: heart wants it to be Yeoh, but head thinks it will be Blanchett.  Still think Ke Huy Quan is the closest to a sure thing here with supporting actor, but anything can happen I guess.  Glad that both Everything Everywhere actresses got in the supporting actress category, but I'm sure the big question is will Angela Bassett (and Marvel) finally get an Oscar?!

Don't know what to think about who will win the big one and I won't speculate because I totally didn't predict CODA winning it last year, so I ain't going try and figure it out yet!

• Like 2

I am sure Ke Huy Quan will take home the supporting actor trophy.  But I am tickled that Brian Tyree Henry got a nomination and well deserved recognition.  He has such range.  I am always impressed when I see him in a role.

• Like 6

Here’s what I hope is a good question:  when the people from RRR  perform their musical number on the Oscars stage, which famous person will they pull out of the audience and have them dance on stage?

FYI:  I’m watching RRR right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I am sure Ke Huy Quan will take home the supporting actor trophy.

To me, he's a lock....the hard one will be Best Actor.

Haven't seen the Colin Farrell movie yet but I did see The Whale....as someone who is morbidly obese and an emotional eater, I couldn't stop crying because I related to the eating scenes.  Loved that Hong Chau was nom'd, she was great in it.

I'm hoping for a Brendan win, he's so adorably humble and Hollywood loves a comeback.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 2

If Michelle doesn't win Best Actress I will ride at dawn. Cate has two Oscars already, Michelle has had an amazeballs career, and is fantastic in Everything Everywhere All At Once. Oscar night should be nothing more than validation of her awesomeness. This applies to Angela as well.

My hope is Actress and Supporting will be locks to allow Actor to be the competitive category this year. I agree it will likely be Farrell vs Fraiser with Butler as the potential spoiler.

Outside of the acting categories I will be delighted if Glass Onion wins screenplay.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I've only seen 4 of the Best Picture nominees and I'm hoping to watch at least three more before the Oscars.  I have no interest in The Banshees of Inisherin and I can count on one hand the number of war films I've truly enjoyed--it's just not a genre that interests me-- so I won't be watching All's Quiet on the Western Front.  I'm not sure if I'm going to see Women Talking or not.

I'm one of the 4 people in the world that didn't like Everything Everywhere All At Once, but since my husband is going to watch it with our son (who loved it), I'll probably try it again to see if I feel differently upon a second viewing. When I watched it the first time, I recognized the superior acting and the message and it was obviously original, but it got to be way too much for me after a while.  I'll be happy if Michelle Yeoh wins, though. 

I thought Austin Butler was fantastic as Elvis and think that Colin Ferrell is a great actor, but I have a soft spot for Brendan Frasier, so, I'm going to be that person who is rooting for someone, even though I haven't seen the movie. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm one of the 4 people in the world that didn't like Everything Everywhere All At Once, but since my husband is going to watch it with our son (who loved it), I'll probably try it again to see if I feel differently upon a second viewing. When I watched it the first time, I recognized the superior acting and the message and it was obviously original, but it got to be way too much for me after a while.  I'll be happy if Michelle Yeoh wins, though. 

Make that 5 people.  I watched it twice, and it was still too frenetic for my taste.  I wouldn't mind if Michelle Yeoh won, but I wouldn't be upset if she didn't.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Make that 5 people.  I watched it twice, and it was still too frenetic for my taste.  I wouldn't mind if Michelle Yeoh won, but I wouldn't be upset if she didn't.

Make it 6.  I tried it and just couldn’t finish it.  It was way too frenetic for me, I couldn’t keep up and didn’t have the energy to give it the attention I would have needed to.  But in the little I saw, I do see where the noms came from and would love if Michelle Yeoh won.  

Edited by Sarahsmile416
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

13 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Make it 6.  I tried it and just couldn’t finish it.  It was way too frenetic for me, I couldn’t keep up and didn’t have the energy to give it the attention I would have needed to.  But in the little I saw, I do see where the noms came from and would love if Michelle Yeoh won.  

I guess I’ll be 7 because I tried to watch it and I didn’t know what was going on.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, superdeluxe said:

I guess I’ll be 7 because I tried to watch it and I didn’t know what was going on.

It wasn't just that it was too frenetic for me, but I thought it was beyond ridiculous.  Jumping on top of things to shift timelines, hot dog fingers.....I mean, I get it, but I guess I like my "moral of the story" moments to be a bit more subtle.

• Like 3

I would LOVE to see Michelle Yeoh win but I think it's gonna go to Cate Blanchette(Barf).  Also working against Yeoh, is the fact that Ke Huy Quan is going to win for best supporting. There is NO way the academy will allow 2 Asian actors to win. I'm still shocked Parasite won best picture a couple years back. 

I think Angela Bassett is going to take it & I'm thrilled. She was amazing in her role as Queen Ramonda. She always gives an oscar worthy performance. Just becasue it's a comic book film shouldn't take away from her work. Also she is LONG overdue.  I think in 2nd place is Jamie Lee Curtis. 

Best actor is going to Austin Butler. While I would love to see Frasier stick it to the industry by winning(also he's good in the movie) I think he's just gonna miss out. Austin seems to be the "it" guy right now & he has won almost every award prior to the Oscars. Fraiser had steam in the beginning but I think some of it went away because the movie itself is not well liked. Which, once again, shouldn't matter when it comes to performance. 

The fact that Viola Davis & Danielle Deadwyler weren't nominated for their performances is disheartening but not surprising. Each year it seems like the Oscars picks a different minority to reward/shine a light on & this year it's all about the Asian acting community. The Oscars has a LONG way to go before it can start saying they are fair & that they believe in diversity. 

• Like 3
On 1/24/2023 at 1:42 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But even if her performance wasn’t good, I suppose it wouldn’t be the first time the Academy elevated a performance from an overall shitty and overhyped movie—hi, Joaquin Phoenix.

Or Jessica Chastain. Not that The Eyes of Tammy Faye was really "overhyped." Few people were saying it was more than a glorified TV-movie. I saw that one as a "We like her and she's due" win that just ticked the right boxes: biopic, wide age range, makeup/prosthetic transformation, singing, etc. 

I'll be the closest thing to a Blonde fan here, I guess? I thought its nightmarish/surrealistic approach, although the material was transferred to the screen with extreme fidelity by Dominik (whose previous The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was a favorite of mine), worked better in the Oates book with her fevered prose. But while I saw better movies from 2022, I also saw ones I liked much less. Some of them are even nominated for things.  

Anyway, I don't have a problem with De Armas being recognized. She was intensely committed and sympathetic. Brody was a great Arthur Miller, too. 

2 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Each year it seems like the Oscars picks a different minority to reward/shine a light on & this year it's all about the Asian acting community.

They did love Minari a couple years ago. Six nominations, two for acting (one win). 

On 1/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, Shannon L. said:

I can count on one hand the number of war films I've truly enjoyed--it's just not a genre that interests me-- so I won't be watching All Quiet on the Western Front

I've seen it. It's "underwhelmingly excellent." I mean that on a technical level, it's superbly done, but it almost makes you despair that there's anything left for a movie to say on the topic. All of its points about the dehumanizing effect of war, the way battlefield conditions force young people to part with romantic and patriotic illusions, the callous disregard for death tolls from those higher up the ladder, have been dramatized in other classic films that had more in the way of character development than this one does. Of course, All Quiet on the Western Front's source novel (and earlier screen iteration) got there earlier, but it's 2022-23 now and there we are. 

On the actress race: I won't be able to complain about Blanchett if she wins #3, because she's astounding in TÁR, but I'm Team Yeoh. EEAAO is my favorite. 

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Best actor is going to Austin Butler. While I would love to see Frasier stick it to the industry by winning(also he's good in the movie) I think he's just gonna miss out. Austin seems to be the "it" guy right now & he has won almost every award prior to the Oscars. Fraiser had steam in the beginning but I think some of it went away because the movie itself is not well liked. Which, once again, shouldn't matter when it comes to performance. 

I think Best Actor is still a toss up. The major awards, so far, have been the Golden Globes and the Critics Choice, and not many people take the Golden Globes seriously. The SAG awards and BAFTAs are still pending, and we'll probably see a front runner emerge from those. I think their campaigns are both experincing a bit of backlash. People think Austin Butler's continued Elvis schtick is kind of odd, and they find The Whale offensive, regradless of Fraser's comeback narrative. I think Colin Farrell is still in the mix too, as a potential spoiler too. 

I am rooting so hard for Michelle Yeoh, but I think that Cate Blanchette will take home the gold, the Academy adores her and this is the kind of role that the Academy loves. Plus, while the Academy has tried to expand its horizons to show how its not some elitist smugfest that only gives trophies out to movies where beautiful actresses dress down to play tragic cancer patients, I am not sure how they will feel about giving their big awards to movies like Everything Everywhere All At Once, a trippy science fiction movie. They will nominate more genre fair, and sometimes they can grab some wins, but they still tend to lean more towards artsy Oscar bait movies. 

Best Actor is anyone's game, but I cant help but hope for a Fraser win. I'm just so happy to see him getting this big comeback, and Hollywood loves a comeback story with an Oscar as the cherry on top.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 5

Granted, the Academy's statement didn't mention Andrea Riseborough by name, everyone knows what actor's campaign they are questioning.

I am incredibly put out that Danielle Deadwyler didn't get a nomination as she has been at the top of my Should Be Nominated list since October when I saw the film (as was Olivia Colman and Margot Robbie - others who did not gain a nomination). But I don't see how the alleged bit of cronyism helped Andrea Riseborough.

Unless they prove a type of quid pro quo or gifting, voting for your friends' friend or whoever, isn't against the rules. The branch votes for who they want to vote for. It could just be that they preferred Riseborough over Deadwyler and Davis.

If people want to believe that there is something more insidious going on like racism, then how does that account for the nominations of Brian Tyree Henry, Michelle Yeoh, Stephanie Hsu and Angela Bassett?

I think for those outside of the AMPAS it looks highly suspect because, other than the Spirit Awards, Riseborough has had no presence.

The first I heard of this film was when I received an invite for a virtual screening in November. Then again earlier this month when they had a screening (in the DGA's smallest theater) hosted by Demi Moore and moderated by Minnie Driver. The next morning there was a virtual screening Q&A hosted by Kate Winslet. Then an article about how Riseborough was emerging as a Dark Horse contender. So it seems pretty fast in the public sphere, but as articles recount there has events and pushes for it outside the public eye. All fair.

Now MGM could have campaigned harder for Deadwyler, but Sony pushed hard for Davis.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Like 1

I did not see Riseborough as all that much of a dark horse. I follow the Gold Derby odds (link below), and she was listed as eighth most likely in the Best Actress race. She was behind the four other women who were nominated plus Davis, Deadwyler, and Robbie. It's not as though the fifth slot went to someone really on the fringes, like Naomi Ackie for the Whitney Houston biopic (14th) or Florence Pugh for one of Don't Worry, Darling or The Wonder (18th and 21st, respectively). 

Gold Derby called Best Actor perfectly: Fraser, Farrell, Butler, Nighy, Mescal. Mescal had pushed Cruise down to 6th in the last couple of weeks. That was also for an acclaimed, low-grossing small film, although Aftersun (one of my favorites of 2022) had more buzz and industry muscle behind it than To Leslie. It's an A24, after all. 

There is an argument to be made that the biggest upset nomination in the major categories was Ruben Östlund for director. Gold Derby had had him at 14th. The likeliest #5 nominee was Edward Berger for All Quiet on the Western Front, and the other eight over whom Östlund managed to leap included James Cameron, Sarah Polley, Baz Luhrmann, Joseph Kosinski...I am interested to see Triangle of Sadness now, because it seems to have connected. 

https://www.goldderby.com/odds/user-odds/oscars-nominations-2023-predictions/

Interesting that a circle of friends/business acquaintances figured out that Andrea Riseborough just needed X number of 1st place ballots to secure a nomination.  Seemed that was the specific goal for all that outreach by her actor friends.

Surprised nobody figured out that strategy before.  

• Like 1