Amy Poehler, Parks & Recreation

Best Performance By An Actor In A Television Series – Comedy Or Musical

Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Don Cheadle, House Of Lies
Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Best Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television

American Horror Story: Coven (Fx Networks)
Behind The Candelabra (HBO)
Dancing On The Edge (Starz)
Top Of The Lake (Sundance Channel)
White Queen (Starz)

Best Performance By An Actress In A Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television

Helena Bonham Carter, Burton & Taylor
Rebecca Ferguson, The White Queen,
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven
Helen Mirren, Phil Spector
Elisabeth Moss, Top Of The Lake

Best Performance By An Actor In A Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television

Matt Damon, Behind The Candelabra
Michael Douglas, Behind The Candelabra
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing On The Edge
Idris Elba, Luther
Al Pacino, Phil Spector

Best Performance By An Actress In A Supporting Role In A Series, Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television

Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing On The Edge
Janet Mcteer, White Queen
Hayden Panettiere, Nashville
Monica Potter, Parenthood
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Best Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role In A Series, Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television

Josh Charles, The Good Wife
Rob Lowe, Behind The Candelabra
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Corey Stoll, House Of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

Caveat: I hate award shows but I like Brooklyn Nine-Nine got on the list because that show was really strong out of the gate. Weird that Veep isn't on the list. Was it not eligible because of The Reasons?

• Love 2

Loved seeing Tatiana Maslany nominated - seems like the kind of year where no one is the clear front runner, so I'd love to see her pull the upset off. I also really like the Taylor Schlling nomination, though it was disappointing that OitNB wasn't nominated.

• Love 1

I was pretty disappointed not to see Lizzy Caplan or Allison Janney nominated for Masters of Sex, and I would have liked to see some acting noms for Mad Men cast members.  The Globes are weird for TV though - I feel like too many genres get mashed together in the interest of avoiding a million categories.  

I rail against the HFPA annually, but I think their main goal is to throw a really fun party--sparkly guests and lots of booze.  I think they also like to be on the leading edge, so if no one else has nominated Tatiana Maslany, by golly, they will! I firmly believe this is a Good Thing.  Re: Brooklyn Nine Nine (which I constantly call Brooklyn 911), what a great spotlight nomination.  (Wrong actor was nominated though.) Orange is the New Black was robbed, and again, Taylor Schilling is fine, but she's not the actor I'd have singled out.  In the end, I'm all for a raucous, sparkly party even if Modern Family wins again. 

I rail against the HFPA annually, but I think their main goal is to throw a really fun party--sparkly guests and lots of booze.  I think they also like to be on the leading edge, so if no one else has nominated Tatiana Maslany, by golly, they will! I firmly believe this is a Good Thing.  Re: Brooklyn Nine Nine (which I constantly call Brooklyn 911), what a great spotlight nomination.  (Wrong actor was nominated though.) Orange is the New Black was robbed, and again, Taylor Schilling is fine, but she's not the actor I'd have singled out.  In the end, I'm all for a raucous, sparkly party even if Modern Family wins again. 

I agree - I can't really hate on the Golden Globes too much, as it seems to be a really fun party for the nominees, versus the weird tension of the more formal shows. And the way the Globes more freely embrace commercial/non-fancy stuff cuts both ways. For every nominee that annoys me, there's one that the Globes take a chance on that other shows won't (see: Brooklyn 99 and Tatiana Maslany, who I fear won't get Emmy noms this year, while Modern Family and Julie Bowen continue their campaign of terror).

The thing that makes me crazy about the Globes is that they lump all their supporting actors into one category... which is why you get Sophia Vergara up against Jacqueline Bisset. It's annoying. 

Mostly I'm just excited that Idris Elba has two nominations which means that I am that much more likely to see him speak. Sigh. 

• Love 1

Caveat: I hate award shows but I like Brooklyn Nine-Nine got on the list because that show was really strong out of the gate. Weird that Veep isn't on the list. Was it not eligible because of The Reasons?

I assume it was eligible because JLD was nominated. Definitely surprised the show wasn't. I blame Modern Family.
  • Love 3

It's funny, I generally hate the GGs because it's really just a bunch of journalists (less than 100?) deciding what they like best and it's generally a crapshoot. But this year I'm pretty happy with the nominations and I hate myself for it.

• Love 1

A few thoughts early on:

-Amy and Tina were great

-The editing/direction here is really not on point this year, is it? Holy crap

-Lots of swearing so far, surprisingly

-Why are the walks SO long??

One of my favorite awards shows is the Golden Globes, because it honors TV and Film, Dramas and Musicals/Comedies and best of all, the booze. I don't expect anyone to get as wasted as Johnny Depp at the Hollywood Film Awards, but if anyone gets close, I wouldn't be surprised. On the host front, since Tina Fey and Amy Poelher are hosting again and the Cecil B. DeMille Award recipient is George Clooney, given what they said about him last year, I think they'll have a field day with him-or, given Clooney's taste for practical jokes, it might be vice versa.

Nominations-wise, in the "Best Dramatic Film" category, I expect to see nominations for The Theory Of Everything, The Imitation Game, Boyhood and Gone Girl. On the Comedy/Musical front, I'm guessing that either Birdman or Into the Woods will own that category.

As for individual nominations, on the Drama front, I think it will be Eddie Redmayne & Benedict Cumberbatch's year while I think that Meryl Streep will be nominated again for Into the Woods while Michael Keaton might be the frontrunner for Birdman.

Meanwhile in TV Land, I think Homeland, Game Of Thrones & The Good Wife will get some love in the Drama categories while Modern Family and Brooklyn Nine-Nine could do the same in Comedy, though I hope that Black-ish will sneak in there somewhere.

Anyway, here's the thread for all things Golden Globes-related, whether it's nominations, the show itself, the winners, the losers, the fashions or most importantly, the various states of sobriety.

Edited by DollEyes

I'm surprised that Emily Blunt made the Best Actress nom for Into the Woods, over Anna Kendrick.  I didn't think the Baker's Wife had that big a role.

And on the TV front, what do I have to do for Sophie Turner to get a nom for Game of Thrones?

• Love 2

I'm thrilled for Jane the Virgin and Gina Rodriguez.

What will it take for Tatiana Maslany to get a nomination? I'm okay with Orphan Black not getting nominated for best show, because I think the show itself can be hit-or-miss, but Tatiana at the very least deserves recognition. Does OB have to move over to HBO to get the HFPA to take it seriously? ETA: Wait, I think I'm being too unfair to the HFPA. Tatiana was nominated for a GG last year, right? I'm mixing them up with the Emmys. 

People are bitching because Jane the Virgin “stole” Veep/B99’s slot. Dude, maybe we should focus the irritation on mainstays like Girls getting in year after year, because IMO it’s a good thing that the HFPA is willing to look past the usual prestige networks/series and give newbies a chance. These are the same people who complain when Modern Family gets nominated for the umpteenth time, too.

Now if only they’d get over their aversion to genre shows…. I think that Game of Thrones makes it in because they’re on HBO.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3

I'm surprised that Emily Blunt made the Best Actress nom for Into the Woods, over Anna Kendrick.  I didn't think the Baker's Wife had that big a role.

I think her role was pretty big because it's she and the baker who are running around and interacting with the other characters since they need to collect the items to fulfill their wish. Anyway, I sure remember her character more than Cinderella (I can't even remember her main solo which is a good excuse to listen to the CD again). 

Joanna Gleason won a Tony award as best actress for the baker's wife. 

• Love 1

The Baker's Wife is the lead.  Cinderella has the harder songs.  The Witch is the guest star role.

Good for Gina Rodriguez and Jane the Virgin getting nominations - the show has been one of my favorites of the new season, and I don't think the show would work without Gina Rodriguez being so great in her role.  Is this the first time anyone from the CW has been nominated?  I know Keri Russell got nominated (and won, if I remember correctly) for Felicity when the WB still existed, but I don't think the CW has been represented yet.  Hell, Keri Washington might have been the only person to ever get a nod for the WB.

What will it take for Tatiana Maslany to get a nomination? I'm okay with Orphan Black not getting nominated for best show, because I think the show itself can be hit-or-miss, but Tatiana at the very least deserves recognition. Does OB have to move over to HBO to get the HFPA to take it seriously? ETA: Wait, I think I'm being too unfair to the HFPA. Tatiana was nominated for a GG last year, right? I'm mixing them up with the Emmys. 

People are bitching because Jane the Virgin “stole” Veep/B99’s slot. Dude, maybe we should focus the irritation on mainstays like Girls getting in year after year, because IMO it’s a good thing that the HFPA is willing to look past the usual prestige networks/series and give newbies a chance. These are the same people who complain when Modern Family gets nominated for the umpteenth time, too.

Now if only they’d get over their aversion to genre shows…. I think that Game of Thrones makes it in because they’re on HBO.

You're right, Tatiana got nominated last year.  And a big boon for her this week is that she got nominated for a SAG, which is huge.

And to your second point - while I think B99 should've been nominated for a few things, you're right, the spot didn't get stolen by Jane the Virgin.  Girls shouldn't be nominated in any of the categories; I've been watching since the beginning, but last season was really rough.

I do think some of the mainstays being either gone or not eligible this year - ex. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Amy Poheler for Parks and Rec - really opened up a lot of the tv categories, especially on the lead actor side.

I do think some of the mainstays being either gone or not eligible this year - ex. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Amy Poheler for Parks and Rec - really opened up a lot of the tv categories, especially on the lead actor side.

GG's are for the calendar year.  Both MM and P&R aired half a season in 2014, but in the spring.  I don't think the GG voters can think back that far.

• Love 1

"Into the Woods" was significantly rewritten for the film (link below), so the roles are different than they had been in the stage production, which would have affected the GG and other award nominations.  I'm looking forward to seeing more than the same snippets on late-night talk shows!   Also, I think eligible voters get advance DVDs or streaming video of the shows or films they are voting on. 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-into-the-woods-writer-james-lapine-woods-20141211-story.html

Anyone know the latest buzz on the Best Picture category as far as who has the best chance to win,etc) I do an awards pool at work and was having a hard time picking

between Boyhood and Selma.  Is one in the lead?  For now, I picked Boyhood.(haven't seen either of them)

and for actor in a mini series, I really want to pick Billy Bob Thornton for Fargo but I have a feeling it might go to Matthew M. for True Detective.  So I was torn.

Anyone know the front runner for actress in a drama?  Is it Viola Davis? I didn't really know who to go with, for now I chose Ruth Wilson for The Affair.  I don't know, the Hollywood Foreign press might lean towards her because she's British? I got nothing.

Edited by Valny

I thought with NBC hosting the event that they'd have more of their own network stars down to present. So far I've only heard of Katherine Heigl attending which seeing as her show is tanking isn't a great asset.

I'll use this thread to bring the HBO "Olive Kitteridge" to the attention of anyone who has not seen it, which included me up to yesterday.  It is just amazing, and I'll watch the Golden Globes just to see if it gets any recognition.  Frances McDormand is just remarkable. 

• Love 2

I'll use this thread to bring the HBO "Olive Kitteridge" to the attention of anyone who has not seen it, which included me up to yesterday.  It is just amazing, and I'll watch the Golden Globes just to see if it gets any recognition.  Frances McDormand is just remarkable. 

When I first saw the trailer, my first thought was, Frances M will probably win the Emmy for this.  I think she has a really good shot. Although I wouldn't mind if Jessica Lange(love!) for American Horror Story or Allison Tolman for Fargo take the statue home.

Guiliana...I don't know if it's the spray tan or the heavy contour but the overall effect is hard to look at. 

I'm mainly watching because I think Game of Thrones is finally going to win best show so I'm hoping most of the cast turns out.

No, it's not really taped live. I don't think anyone arrives for another 45 minutes. Guiliana always has time to change between the two pre-shows. They did show the Entourage guys filming a scene of their movie on the Red Carpet, but they were in character.

Guiliana looks horrible, as usual. She's overly spray tanned, the dress is not quite right, and she's just so scarily skinny. I love Kelly's look though. It will be interesting to see what they wear for the real red carpet. 

• Love 2