Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/5/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Dec. 5 – Common (Broadway’s “Between Riverside and Crazy”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Tuesday, Dec. 6 – Sally Field (“Spoiler Alert”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Wednesday, Dec. 7 – Mike Birbiglia (Broadway’s “The Old Man and the Pool”; “A Man Called Otto”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 8 – Chef Marcus Samuelsson (“A Seat at the Table”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Friday, Dec. 9 – H.E.R. (“Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration”); “12 Days of Holidays”

• Thanks 4

Really good line up this week!  The only one I don't know if Birbiglia, but A Man Called Otto Ove is one of my favorite books, so I'll be looking forward to what he has to say about this.  Love, love Sally and HER.  Common is always interesting and Samuelson always has delicious recipes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Well I guess the speculation about Alyssa and Ana not truly caring for one another was true.

Cant blame Alyssa for that comment.

And what about her comment of the lack of support at the table of women lol shes batting 1000 this morning

1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Well I guess the speculation about Alyssa and Ana not truly caring for one another was true.

Please explain I can't watch until later

• Thanks 2

Had to look up the clip being discussed above, but it seemed apparent to me that Alyssa was attempting to be shady towards the show itself with her comments and Ana undercut her with that Kellyanne Conway joke. Loved the audience laughter. Reminded me of when the last one who sat in that seat would make veiled shots at the show itself--if you don't want to be there, feel free to go... Heh.

Too bad they didn't bring back Julia Haart along with JuJu Chang since they were missing two people anyway, honestly they were the two best guest co-hosts they had on last season. The show would be firing on all cylinders with one of them there instead of a career liar like Alyssa.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, geekburger said:

Alyssa was playing victim and it seemed like a comment that should have been said behind the scenes.  Ana has never been aggressive towards her though so I don't even understand why she even made that comment..

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
27 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Alyssa was playing victim and it seemed like a comment that should have been said behind the scenes.  Ana has never been aggressive towards her though so I don't even understand why she even made that comment..

See I disagree.

Ana was the one to take a cheap shot while Alyssa was talking about her personal experiences.  And Ana's response actually proved one of Alyssa's points.

And I'm glad the topic came up because I've heard this very topic of toxic femininity from female friends and coworkers.  Most of which will only take work positions if their managers are men.  I ask why and they all recite their bad experiences with their previous female managers, etc.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

See I disagree.

Ana was the one to take a cheap shot while Alyssa was talking about her personal experiences.  And Ana's response actually proved one of Alyssa's points.

And I'm glad the topic came up because I've heard this very topic of toxic femininity from female friends and coworkers.  Most of which will only take work positions if their managers are men.  I ask why and they all recite their bad experiences with their previous female managers, etc.

Ana has been cold to Alyssa and I would expound on that but it would be off-topic

Women go after women out of jealousy envy and feeing intimidated.  Pettiness and meanness are a part of toxic femininity.. Like the guest host said today toxic masculinity is more of a threat to women than toxic femininity.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Yeah... I don't think Ana dislikes Alyssa because she's jealous of her... I think it's more likely the other way around if there is jealousy at all considering Ana has popularity and fame unrelated to this show. What does Alyssa have that anyone would want? So I don't think that label applies. It's because of who Alyssa is, what she stands for, and what she espouses, the same reason some Viewers boycotted the show when she was hired. Ana has a right to her opinion on the subject as much as the Viewers do. Alyssa is very entitled if she thinks otherwise.

Her quoting Albright of all people shows that she is still shameless and willing to say anything it takes, no matter how absurd it sounds coming from her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, JayD83 said:

Please tell me Whoopi was not serious in talking about the vampire.  PLEASSEEEE!!!

The best part about not ever actually watching the show and only coming here for the comments is to read such a random comment like this out of context.  Especially when it is about Whoopi. 

• LOL 7

I didn’t see the show so I probably shouldn’t comment, but, it sounds like Alyssa’s comment was directed towards the whole show, not just Ana. Of course, she was smart enough to kiss some Whoopi ass before the segment ended. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Axie said:

I didn’t see the show so I probably shouldn’t comment, but, it sounds like Alyssa’s comment was directed towards the whole show, not just Ana. Of course, she was smart enough to kiss some Whoopi ass before the segment ended. 

No.  It was clearly directed at Ana.  I'm wondering if Alyssa feels the same towards Sunny.  I so wished Sunny had been there to see how it would have played out.   

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Ana has been cold to Alyssa and I would expound on that but it would be off-topic

Women go after women out of jealousy envy and feeing intimidated.  Pettiness and meanness are a part of toxic femininity.. Like the guest host said today toxic masculinity is more of a threat to women than toxic femininity.  

Is Ana particularly warm towards anyone though?...LOL.   She cracks jokes, but she's always direct and open about her opinions towards everyone.  

Toxic femininity in my experience more of a younger woman in the workplace thing (under 35).  I agree Ana's issues with Alyssa is about her previous job and nothing to do with any sense of competitiveness with her.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, JayD83 said:

Please tell me Whoopi was not serious in talking about the vampire.  PLEASSEEEE!!!

1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

The best part about not ever actually watching the show and only coming here for the comments is to read such a random comment like this out of context.  Especially when it is about Whoopi. 

She was mocking Walker.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think the panel has PTSD from the former co-host who shall not be mentioned. It must be hard to follow her.

That said, Alyssa probably carries the stigma of working in the Trump White House. Maybe everyone on the panel didn't agree that people from that administration should be first picks for shows like The View.

I don't mind Alyssa but she is no different than Jedediah. The ABC executives seem to prefer their conservatives a bit unhinged, so I'm not sure about her long terms prospects on the show.

1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Toxic femininity in my experience more of a younger woman in the workplace thing (under 35).  I agree Ana's issues with Alyssa is about her previous job and nothing to do with any sense of competitiveness with her.  

I find this interesting because in my experience it's been the opposite.  Maybe the young toxic women just become old toxic women?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Miss Slay said:

I don't mind Alyssa but she is no different than Jedediah

I haven’t seen the show in more than a week, so unless things have changed I think Alyssa is waaaay more palatable than the super smug Jed. I really think if she hadn’t worked for trump people (incl Sunny and maybe Ana) would give her a lot more slack. Aside from her resume she seems like a lovely person. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I've noticed something about Ana since she gained her permenent host chair.  Whenever she makes a comment, she has to preface it with some joke or quip.  Then she'll pause for laughter, of which there is not a lot, and then gets on to her serious point.  She's trying too hard and i think trying to be comedy relief?  We just want you to be you Girl!

• Like 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And it was funny.

I agree with Whoopi.  I think Democratic primaries need to be held in more diverse states.

It was! I loved her deadpan delivery of his werewolves are human!😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Same. And that clip of Ernst? All I can say is stay Klassy. And of course Alyssa agrees with her. But uses  Bernie’s name to “explain” how it’s the Poot Whites being ignored.😒 

13 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think Alyssa is waaaay more palatable than the super smug Jed. I really think if she hadn’t worked for trump people (incl Sunny and maybe Ana) would give her a lot more slack. Aside from her resume she seems like a lovely person. 

Alyssa doesn't bother me.  And honestly she is the first Republican co host I have ever said that about ( I didn't watch when Nicolle was on).

Alyssa doesn't let her politics define her the way MM did.  And it doesn't feel like she is just spouting off a script someone told her to like EH.  She is game to talk about any topic unlike MM.  She isn't obnoxious and doesn't support her team no matter what.  All and all they could have hired someone way worse than her.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, geekburger said:

I was shocked at how Ana jumped on her! Gave me horrible flashbacks of the MM days and I immediately had to duck for cover. 

Re Common: Wasn't exactly feeling your wardrobe choice but man, is this guy a super chill, calm human being!!! His voice is so soothing and he comes across as being so kind. Maybe it's just me these days, but I definitely felt way more relaxed after his appearance and what a shame we can't bottle the essence of Common.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Alyssa doesn't bother me.  And honestly she is the first Republican co host I have ever said that about ( I didn't watch when Nicolle was on).

Agree 100%. So many nightmares we had to put up with for way too long.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, limestation said:

I was shocked at how Ana jumped on her! Gave me horrible flashbacks of the MM days and I immediately had to duck for cover. 

I guess Alyssa is now the new Rorschach test? I didn't see Ana "jumping" on Alyssa. Alyssa was saying how she preferred men as bosses because women-something-something, then defended how women are there for women, and then Ana threw in "except when you're Kelly Ann Conway" or working for her. And then Alyssa directly addresses Ana and says she was using that against her or something-something.

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

That was a confusing discussion about the web site designer's case. There were a few points where it seemed like the panelists were looking at this issue beyond the same-sex marriage part, but then they seemed to veer off into tangents (the hospital one was not even close as an analog). As I understand it, the issue involves the product creator's objection to the "message" or "subject", not the customer (or customer's characteristics). 

Did the ladies agree that if the web designer (or cake decorator, or whatever) could not refuse to create their product for same-sex marriages (the defining issue being the message, not the customer themselves), then they would also not be allowed to refuse to create their product with an objectionable message (ex. swastika symbol, pro-Nazi message, etc.)? Those things are objectionable, but not illegal, so even if the business owner disagrees with the messages, they would have to produce something. To be fair, I suppose the law can't compel anyone to do a good job in these cases, so the businessperson could sabotage the product, even though it is a risk to their professional reputation.

• Love 1

I normally fast forward through discussions about reality shows but man, am I glad I didn’t today. Because that was HILARIOUS. Sunny called her son “stupid” on national television? Wowza. I bet Christmas in Sunny’s house will be particularly fun this year.

• LOL 3

Joy equating someone refusing to make a cake or a website for a gay wedding to someone refusing to make a cake or a website for someone espousing hateful things, such as Nazism or homophobia isn't correct.  Being asked to bake a cake or design a website for a wedding is something you do on a regular basis. You refusing to do it for same sex couples is discriminatory.  Refusing to make something with words or a symbol that is generally accepted as hate speech is not discriminatory.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
  • SMUG Sunny
  • JUDGMENTAL Sunny
  • PERFECT Sunny ... now makes her little faces and rolls eyes over Sara's decision to not send Christmas cards.

Sunny Sez:   Just take a picture.    Sunny Mimes:  Just take a picture.

WHY?    Because that's what SHE does?    Does SHE have three LITTLE children and busy job(s) on television?   Sure, taking a picture doesn't take long...but shouldn't one consider wardrobe--getting the kids dressed and keeping them clean and presentable?  Background?  Photographer?  Self-timed photo?  And then, I assume Perfect Sunny wants those photos printed, appropriate greetings and signatures on each, and in ADDRESSED (go thru the address book to decide who gets them) and STAMPED envelopes.

Sure, Smug Sunny can say, "Just take a picture."  She probably "has people for that."

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

From IMdB:   Blonde (2022) https://www.imdb.com  This film is based on the 2000 novel "Blonde" by Joyce Carol Oates, which is a fictionalized account inspired by the life of Marilyn Monroe....

1. This was a MOVIE, not a documentary.  

2. Joyce Carol Oates is a writer, a novelist who has written non-fiction, but "Blonde" is a novel--fiction.

3. Whoopi, I don't know how you/your family can stop or control a "fictionalized" story based on your life ... and any movie that follows.

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:
  • SMUG Sunny
  • JUDGMENTAL Sunny
  • PERFECT Sunny ... now makes her little faces and rolls eyes over Sara's decision to not send Christmas cards.

WHY?    Because that's what SHE does?    Does SHE have three LITTLE children and busy job(s) on television?   Sure, taking a picture doesn't take long...but shouldn't one consider wardrobe--getting the kids dressed and keeping them clean and presentable?  Background?  Photographer?  Self-timed photo?  And then, I assume Perfect Sunny wants those photos printed, appropriate greetings and signatures on each, and in ADDRESSED (go thru the address book to decide who gets them) and STAMPED envelopes.

Sure, Smug Sunny can say, "Just take a picture."  She probably "has people for that."

IKR!  Man she pissed me off in that segment.  Sure Sonny, you can be all self righteous with your Grown and Out Of The House kids.  Go gather some eggs and bite me.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

I normally fast forward through discussions about reality shows but man, am I glad I didn’t today. Because that was HILARIOUS. Sunny called her son “stupid” on national television? Wowza. I bet Christmas in Sunny’s house will be particularly fun this year.

I’m not a big Sunny fan, but I have a son in Gabriel’s age range, so I understood what she was saying about his date with the woman. I just wonder if the woman knew he was the son of a doctor and a tv personality/lawyer and figured he might have some money to spend on a date. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Did the ladies agree that if the web designer (or cake decorator, or whatever) could not refuse to create their product for same-sex marriages (the defining issue being the message, not the customer themselves), then they would also not be allowed to refuse to create their product with an objectionable message (ex. swastika symbol, pro-Nazi message, etc.)? Those things are objectionable, but not illegal, so even if the business owner disagrees with the messages, they would have to produce something.

I think that was the direction they were going.   Sunny said the legal argument for the State is that the web designer would be discriminating against a person in a protected class.  Then when they started talking about what if someone wanted a cake with a swastika, Sunny argued that legally they would have to make the cake for the same reason.   But that didn't make sense to me as a swastika is not associated with any protected class. 

2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I haven't seen the show, but I can only imagine how they mangled that topic.  FYI, here's a short NPR article that captures the nuances of this case with some questions by the justices.

The definitely did.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

That was a confusing discussion about the web site designer's case.

Yeah, they contradicted themselves half way through the segment. Denying an LGBTQ order was bad but denying a swastika is ok?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:
  • SMUG Sunny
  • JUDGMENTAL Sunny

Lately, that's what a lot of people do for Christmas cards - use Shutterfly or another site to create a picture-based "card". A lot of times, they aren't posed pictures with kids dressed up, they are just snaps of the family from the year. No special message or greeting, other than "Happy Holidays" or something. I've gotten some that don't even include a personal signature.

These remind me of the old "Christmas letters", except you have to infer what happened during the year based on the pictures. "Oh, I see you got a dog, and here's Junior's graduation picture, and your new car." As annoying as the "letters" were, at least the senders had to expend a little effort to write them. So, in a way, Sunny is right, the picture cards require far less effort, except for addressing them.

I prefer actual cards, but I guess I'm in the minority on this. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The LGBT topic was, as said above, a complete trainwreck. I think Sunny was the only one that got it right that it's about a protected class being denied. Alyssa in particular trying to frame a cake or any other product as "speech" was particularly eyeroll-worthy, you can see through her framing from a mile away. Sara is just nails on chalkboard these days.

I know it's an UO here (oh, well), but I often find Sunny to be subtly hilarious with the way she puts on to get her disagreements out there when she knows the others are just going to throw cold water on anything she says. Between her during the older woman discussion and then "It's just a picture" to Sara and Alyssa, she was probably the best part for me today. The only thing that topped it was the last thing on Joy's list about pros for dating a younger man being you might need an organ someday. 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Two things - sunny - watch out. Sonny boy may one day find an older woman. I am 12 years older than Mr lookeyloo. He was 24 when we met. His parents were Less Than Thrilled especially since I was divorced with two small children.  But- works for us. Just celebrated 40th anniversary.        

that same mother in law used to send holiday letters and instead of asking us did we want to be in them or what the correct information was , she tried to guess. We laughed over her letters. Sunny may take it upon herself some day.  

but after they got over the shock of us they embraced me and all has been well.  Can we speculate the same for Sunny??  Hmmmm

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Sunny really needs to stop talking about her kids' personal lives on the show.  They're way too old for that (Though I too would be side-eyeing somebody that much older trying to date my kid.  I just wouldn't talk about it on tv).  

Sarah is aware that she can send Christmas cards without a picture, right?  Or do a photo card with pics you've taken throughout the year, instead of having a professional photo done.  It's very easy to do a simple Christmas card without making it into a big, stressful production (which reminds me, I still need to send out ours.  They're just sitting on the mantle right now, waiting to be addressed and mailed).

I mean, I like Whoopi but I highly doubt anyone is going to make a film about her after she dies.  Speaking of which, did they even mention that Kirstie Alley died?   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

I mean, I like Whoopi but I highly doubt anyone is going to make a film about her after she dies.  Speaking of which, did they even mention that Kirstie Alley died?   

If someone offered Whoopi's family money to make a movie about her after she died you know they would say sure send me a check.

And no they did not mention Kirstie Alley.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

If someone offered Whoopi's family money to make a movie about her after she died you know they would say sure send me a check.

That was my exact thought! I'm positive Alex can be bought.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

My heart broke a little for Sara when Sunny said, "It's just a picture."  No, Sunny, it's not to someone who is already stressed and struggling to deal with life.  Well, it's not just a picture anyway - it's the picture and the personal note that some people like to do and addressing them all. It's time in an already full life.  And no, she wasn't being a Scrooge when she was told to go REST by her husband, she was overwhelmed.  Dismissing her stress and anxiety in that condescending way really pissed me off.  And didn't she see Sara's guilty face?  What kind of friend is she?

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
  • Love 6

I'm really getting tired of Sunny...today about the picture. Or the story about her son at Harvard and her concern, or her poutiness in general every day.

For her...it is always about Sunny. Her way or the highway.

Oh, and omg Whoopi never wants a movie made about her...how about a book?

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1