Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: The Choice

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing October 16, 2022:

Rosalind returns with a vengeance and Bailey’s life is left hanging in the balance. With a ticking clock, the LAPD and the FBI join forces, and Officer John Nolan is forced to make a deadly decision after a harrowing ultimatum.

6 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Geeze. So Rosalind can predict not only what company will respond to the call, but where Bailey will,go? What would have happened if Bailey went upstairs and some other random person went into the room with the trap hole?  

There was the other serial killer watching, so...?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Geeze. So Rosalind can predict not only what company will respond to the call, but where Bailey will,go? What would have happened if Bailey went upstairs and some other random person went into the room with the trap hole?  

certain fire stations serve certain parts of the city. Setting a trap in Bailey's area of operations isn't that big of a stretch.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MrWhyt said:

certain fire stations serve certain parts of the city. Setting a trap in Bailey's area of operations isn't that big of a stretch.

All assuming that her truck was not aiding the next area. I distinctly remember on Emergency Squad 51 often responded with another station and Engine 51 was held in reserve or off somewhere else. The greatest plot armor of all time took to get a specific person into that trap once the company split up to search.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Raja said:

All assuming that her truck was not aiding the next area.

so she/a henchman listen to a scanner or stake out the fire station and if Bailey's truck isn't available she doesn't make the call luring them to her trap. I fully concede that predicting that Bailey would be the one to get caught in the trap is bullshit, but getting her to the correct location isn't hard work.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

As a crossover event it was a fake. The FBI going after some new partner with the same amount of character crossover that every episode of Feds has had has been shown as lame compared to the Law & Order crossover event which began this TV season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

As a crossover event it was a fake. The FBI going after some new partner with the same amount of character crossover that every episode of Feds has had has been shown as lame compared to the Law & Order crossover event which began this TV season.

Was Niecy Nash even in this episode?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, edhopper said:

Oh shoot Bailey lived. And that was a very unsatisfactory end to Rosalind.

I know. I was cheering hard for Bailey to bite the big one. I laughed when Chen said that John loves Bailey so much that he'll never let anything happen to her.  He wasn't even there when her dumb ass was getting tortured. Some love that is.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Was Niecy Nash even in this episode?

No they have two rookies. The male Fed is a famous cop show actor turned Special Agent and the profiler is his training agent.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Rosalind is dead. Yay!
Bailey is alive. Nay.....
There is a Rosalind acolyte... with a very fake beard.  Can we trust this buggar to finish the job? can we?

This was so boring, so predictable and so dumb, as every drama Fillion has tried to make.
We probably won't hear about Rosalind's "child" till the season finale.. when he will abduct Nolan just before he arrives at the church for his wedding with Bailey. Right ? 😜

p.s. If The Rookie's creators had any sense of humor they would hire Stana Katic to play the acolyte

Edited by Zaffy
  • LOL 13

I agree that there is no way to predict who was going to which part of the house to search it.  There's no way they'd know, even watching on a live feed, who was going to go into the room with the hole.  I was literally holding my breathe when Bailey was drowning.  Not because I was so concerned for her, but because I really want her OFF MY SCREEN. I just can't take Jenna Dewan seriously as a firefighter and also how they shoehorn her into scenes can be exhausting because it makes no sense. 

The one thing I was kind of tickled about was the Thomas Dekker and Britt Robertson "reunion".  Thomas Dekker is the acolyte and Britt played the FBI profiler.  They were in the show The Secret Circle together.  They didn't interact here, but probably will on the Rookie Feds Or whatever it's called. I actually haven't watched that show but will probably watch the conclusion of this story-arc just because I'm a completist. 

I was really hoping that Lucy's boyfriend was going to be an acolyte, but now I really just want the entire storyline to be over.  I've been over Rosalind's story since basically it started.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Oh, good.  Another acolyte...ho hum.  I do hope they trap/kill him on Rookie: Feds.  I like Annie Wersching but Rosalyn over staid her welcome.

I knew Bailey wouldn't perish so there was no suspense there.  I wonder if Nolan will tell her that he couldn't kill Rosalyn even though it meant her possibly dying because of it?

Also, what was the point of Tim trying to bust the window out?  I mean, I get why he was doing it but I thought that was wasted effort considering this guy had set this kind of trap before.  I suppose Tim had to feel he was doing something.  And could we stop with the little knowing looks between Lucy and Tim.  Gag me.

I'm always amazed (not, really) at how when the heroes have to go in somewhere, there's never any back-up...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Rosalind is dead. Yay!
There is a Rosalind acolyte... with a very fake beard.  Can we trust this buggar to finish the job? can we?

This was so boring, so predictable and so dumb, as every drama Fillion has tried to make.
We probably won't hear about Rosalind's "child" till the season finale.. when he will abduct Nolan just before he arrives at the church for his wedding with Bailey. Right ? 😜

p.s. If The Rookie's creators had any sense of humor they would hire Stana Katic to play the acolyte

"This was so boring, so predictable and so dumb, as every drama Fillion has tried to make."

And yet you continue to watch. 

• Wink 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
35 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Also, what was the point of Tim trying to bust the window out?  I mean, I get why he was doing it but I thought that was wasted effort considering this guy had set this kind of trap before.  I suppose Tim had to feel he was doing something.  And could we stop with the little knowing looks between Lucy and Tim.  Gag me.

I'm always amazed (not, really) at how when the heroes have to go in somewhere, there's never any back-up...

It reminds me of Officer Bishop telling Nolan to slow down as and get his glass breaking tool out on a car window. It is a cop show but the firefighters' own company was there and has heavy tools for the last ditch emergency breach. Also the Boot jumping in to the tank pull her out of the water and Officer Chen applying CPR falls in the same category 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
9 hours ago, Raja said:

Thank you for the information. I didn't watch the episode today because a) Rosalind and b) crossover. Now I know that Rosalind's dead, and there's nothing of interest (to me) in the crossover, I'll watch it. Who knows, the acolyte might be more interesting as time goes on - probably not and I hate the recurring evil person trope, but I'm trying to be positive. I'd be more positive if Bailey were gone.

2 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Hey, no one disses "Firefly" 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Rosalind is dead. Yay!

And Nolan would have to make out with her to save Bailey.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At least Nolan didn't tarnish his image for Bailey's life.

He didn't do anything to try to save Rosalind, either. It wouldn't be realistic for her to be dead the minute she hit the ground from a small-caliber gunshot wound to the forehead. Also, victims of GSW to the head make the ideal organ donors, so he probably should have tried to keep her from bleeding out just for that purpose. Then again, would any normal person want to be the recipient of her organs, especially her heart? Who really knows where evil lies within the body?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

He didn't do anything to try to save Rosalind, either.

I noticed that.  It was like.  "OK, that's done..."  But to be fair, he was in shock.

I really wanted the acolyte to be Chen's hinky boyfriend. 

Yeah, how Bailey was lured into the trap was a giant plot hole.  As others have pointed out, not so much the whole getting Bailey's unit to the scene, but getting Bailey--and specifically Bailey--into the trap.  That was....too fortuitous of a coincidence.

That trap was too devious and well constructed to be all Rosalind.  Apparently she had quite a skillset to draw from with all her acolytes.  Because you can't just contract that sort of thing out.  People will talk!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Anyone else confused that Bailey’s fire crew rolled up in a truck from 9-1-1?  Just  me? They stepped out of a truck from the 118 but had “53” on their helmets. 

Edited by LizDC
  • Like 3

When I saw the 118 truck, I was hoping to see Captain Nash and his whole crews from 9-1-1.

Rosalind’s death was anticlimactic for a supervillain.

We don’t need to watch Niecy Nash hunting Rosalind’s acolyte(s) in TRF. Thank god‼️

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Even Rosalind knows that Bailey is the only firefighter in LA, so of course she was going to fall into the trap. 

I kept waiting for Neecy Nash to pop up like Freddie Krueger, since they had threatened a crossover. But I was spared. Now I can easily avoid part 2 on Tuesday night. Rosalind is dead (and we saw the body) and I couldn’t care less about her acolyte, though I kept trying to make a case for him being Lucy’s boyfriend. But apparently not. 

I really hate the serial killer trope of planning for every contingency, always staying three steps ahead of law enforcement. Until, of course, they solve the puzzle at the very last moment. When Tim said, “everything has to go exactly right for us to save Bailey, “ I thought, hasn’t he ever seen a tv show before? Of course it will. 

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Rosalind is dead (and we saw the body) and I couldn’t care less about her acolyte, though I kept trying to make a case for him being Lucy’s boyfriend. But apparently not. 

But there can be multiple acolytes, right? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

It wouldn't be realistic for her to be dead the minute she hit the ground from a small-caliber gunshot wound to the forehead.

Given that we never saw the shooter it suggests that he wasn't up close which then implies that he used a rifle. Rosalind probably had a very big hole in the back of her head. She didn't bleed out, her body didn't have a nervous system to tell it to keep running,

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

Given that we never saw the shooter it suggests that he wasn't up close which then implies that he used a rifle. Rosalind probably had a very big hole in the back of her head. She didn't bleed out, her body didn't have a nervous system to tell it to keep running,

Plus, her eyes were open looking at nothing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

I don't know how a bullet to the forehead was going to immediately irradicate her brainstem, but I admit I don't know much about firearms.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Plus, her eyes were open looking at nothing.

If she was already braindead or totally dead, her pupils would have been fully dilated. We wouldn't have been able to see her blue irises.

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, Raja said:

No they have two rookies. The male Fed is a famous cop show actor turned Special Agent and the profiler is his training agent.

Wait, wait, wait.  You're telling me The Rookie: Feds basically stole the premise of The Grinder?  That's just ridiculous...

...but what if it did?

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

"This was so boring, so predictable and so dumb, as every drama Fillion has tried to make."

And yet you continue to watch. 

for the episodes he is doing mostly comedy, something he is quite good at!

• Applause 1

Acolyte's beard was hilariously bad.

So, Rosalind got Bailey into that room by having Eau de Nolan in there, right? That's the only explanation.

Another thing I noticed - would they really put an oxygen mask on Bailey the second she comes out of the tank, before she coughs up any water? That seems a bit counterintuitive!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Me, trying to remember when this Rosalind nonsense first began:

GIF by Vulture.com

Also, is it me or has The Rookie/The Rookie Feds actually had a crossover in like every other episode?   Do they just not have any faith in it?  Like, my faith in National Treasure Niecy Nash is relatively high.  I don’t need crossover gimmicks and it sounds like this second part of the crossover is going to be weak.  If they really felt the need to cushion things this much, I don’t get why they wouldn’t simply schedule them on the same night.

In the fight between Bailey versus Water, I’ll admit to being Team Water.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Did I say how much I hate the genius serial killer trope. It's so overused and false. Serial killers are not geniuses. They are terribly damaged people who are hard to catch because, they either target people who aren't missed, and therefore go unnoticed,  or the killings are so random that there is no connection.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, edhopper said:

Did I say how much I hate the genius serial killer trope. It's so overused and false. Serial killers are not geniuses. They are terribly damaged people who are hard to catch because, they either target people who aren't missed, and therefore go unnoticed,  or the killings are so random that there is no connection.  

iirc there are some serial killers who have had ridiculously high IQs... but they will mask them in order to fit into societal norms, they'll use their intelligence in planning - not getting obsessed with a single person.

It's not like they are Unabombers

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I never understood where people like Rosalind get the money to do all this expensive modifications, survellience, etc.  And I never understood the idea of 'acolytes' or 'followers' like for her and Red John.  The psychology of that makes no sense to me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, eel21788 said:

I don't know how a bullet to the forehead was going to immediately irradicate her brainstem, but I admit I don't know much about firearms.

bullets generally don't punch neat circular holes straight through people. Once it penetrates, it's going to tumble, expand or fragment. The sheer kinetic energy of the round is going to cause a shockwave in the soft tissue. People surviving a bullet to the head are an exception not the rule

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

I never understood where people like Rosalind get the money to do all this expensive modifications, survellience, etc.  And I never understood the idea of 'acolytes' or 'followers' like for her and Red John.  The psychology of that makes no sense to me.

These days there are lots of websites for fans of violence etc., many of which rake in funds.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

bullets generally don't punch neat circular holes straight through people. Once it penetrates, it's going to tumble, expand or fragment. The sheer kinetic energy of the round is going to cause a shockwave in the soft tissue. People surviving a bullet to the head are an exception not the rule

I wasn't expecting her to survive long-term; however, I still don't believe she would have already been dead or even brain dead the second she hit the ground.

We know she still had at least some neurological function because her pupils were reactive to light. It does, however, take at least a few minutes for the brain tissue to swell and get to the point that the brainstem herniates. That is what most likely would have killed her if Nolan had held pressure on the exit wound to keep her from bleeding out. The bigger the hole in the back of her head, the longer it would take for brainstem herniation because the pressure inside her skull wouldn't have increased as quickly as if it had only been a small hole.

1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

We know she still had at least some neurological function because her pupils were reactive to light

that's because she's a live actress and not an actual dead body.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, eel21788 said:

We know she still had at least some neurological function because her pupils were reactive to light

1 hour ago, MrWhyt said:

Tinted contact lenses could have given the appearance of dilated pupils as Googling tells me is their appearance immediately after death.

But just the blank stare sufficiently conveyed death to me. 

And Googling also reveals that after rigor mortise sets in, the pupils are not so fully dilated anyway.

It’s when the actor-victim’s eyes close to convey death that I suspect they aren’t really dead and will show up in some future episode

——just like when we don’t see the body.

——unless it’s a really old show or movie from the mid-20th century when they apparently didn’t want to scare off viewers with blank staring corpses, and closed eyes conveyed death.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

What? I thought I was watching a documentary! You mean all this isn't really how the LAPD works?

(total sarcasm, in case you couldn't figure that out on your own)

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Well, thank goodness that's over with.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, Clanstarling said:

Hey, no one disses "Firefly" 🤣

No. One.

I still don't understand how someone as thoroughly and fundamentally unpleasant as Rosalind has even one measly follower, let alone acolytes, plural. Yes, there are clearly nasty, sociopathic serial killers who attract followers, but there seem to be recognizable patterns of charisma to account for at least some part of this phenomenon; I have serious doubts that someone as supercilious and self-adoring as Rosalind could (a) attract or (b) need validation from those she would doubtless consider inferiors.

• Applause 2
On 10/17/2022 at 9:47 PM, eel21788 said:

Temporary wound cavity.

The damage done by a high-powered bullet is not restricted to those areas directly impacted by the bullet itself. Upon impact, the bullet smashes the body fluids aside and the hydrostatic shockwave causes damage to a far greater volume of tissue. This can blast open a large cavity which closes up again after the bullet passes. But a large volume of tissue suffers extreme damage in the mean time.

If you would like to see what I'm talking about, you can go to see this short video (no affiliation) which shows super-slow motion footage of bullet impacts in clear, ballistic gelatin. Ballistic gelatin is designed to mimic flesh, for use in firearms research.

A high-powered round to the head could very easily turn a human brain into mush in an instant. Dunno about brainstem, but the lights could go out in an instant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jabRI said:

She had some rich followers, they probably gave her money.

The psychology of the people who follow is probably weird - I sort of understand the people who fall in love with horrible people who are in prison for horrible crimes, but it is still odd

• Like 1
On 10/19/2022 at 12:48 AM, bros402 said:

iirc there are some serial killers who have had ridiculously high IQs... but they will mask them in order to fit into societal norms, they'll use their intelligence in planning - not getting obsessed with a single person.

It's not like they are Unabombers

Some, but overall, serial killers have less than average intelligence. And none of them are Hannibal Lecter, Red John or Rosalind.

https://sintelly.com/articles/do-serial-killers-have-high-iqs

• Useful 1
  • Love 1