Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Labor Day

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing October 2, 2022:

Officer John Nolan is moving closer to his new role as a training officer. In preparation, he is tasked with overseeing Officer Aaron Thorson and must uncover the truth about another officer’s suicide. Meanwhile, Lucy’s successful undercover assignment earns her an invitation for specialized training in Sacramento and she must decide if this is the path she wants to take.

• Love 1

I was up late on Saturday due to a glorious nap that afternoon and saw the red light on my Xfinity console telling me it was recording something.  A quick check of my TV schedule told me that this episode was being broadcast from 0035 to 0135 on my local ABC channel.  Yet......it was also showing at the regular time on the schedule.  

I'm......resisting the temptation to watch and post spoilerific content here.  Spontaneous insomnia may lead to bad choices due to cognitive confusion, but I need y'all to know I'm holding strong.

For now.

That episode will be burning a hole in my DVR from now until 10PM.  Y'all had better hope there's something good on tomorrow to distract me from temptation.  Hopefully my better angels will win.  (In reality you can depend on my shortening attention span.  "Ooh, the Seahawks game is on!  Wait, a Harry Potter marathon!")

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was up late on Saturday due to a glorious nap that afternoon and saw the red light on my Xfinity console telling me it was recording something.  A quick check of my TV schedule told me that this episode was being broadcast from 0035 to 0135 on my local ABC channel.  Yet......it was also showing at the regular time on the schedule.  

I'm......resisting the temptation to watch and post spoilerific content here.  Spontaneous insomnia may lead to bad choices due to cognitive confusion, but I need y'all to know I'm holding strong.

For now.

That episode will be burning a hole in my DVR from now until 10PM.  Y'all had better hope there's something good on tomorrow to distract me from temptation.  Hopefully my better angels will win.  (In reality you can depend on my shortening attention span.  "Ooh, the Seahawks game is on!  Wait, a Harry Potter marathon!")

I love this post more than I can possibly care for any episode of The Rookie, regardless of Fillion’s enduring charm.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SunshineKelly said:

I really enjoyed this episode. Nyla was a complete badass when she came up out of the water. 

It was shades of Captain Anderson back in season 1.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I still don't get what this show is going for. It swings back and forth in tone so much. 

My questions for this episode:

1) How the hell did Wesley get hired at the DA's office after several years of representing people who were in organized crime?  They apparently don't do background checks or ask about past work.  We'll also handwave the fact that they don't have ethical concerns about Wesley, despite his prior suspension from the practice of law.

2) How did Nyla deliver a baby on her own and cut the cord and clean up the baby?  What an idiotic portrayal of childbirth. I don't like birth scenes, but that was stupid beyond belief.

3) How are a bunch of hardened criminals living right across the street from Nyla's very well appointed home that appears to cost at least 3-4 million?

4) Does Lucy ever do any actual cop work? All I see is her picking special assignments for herself in undercover and as Tim's assistant. Someone needs to tell her to sit her ass down and write some accident and arrest reports.

The more they show Tim and Lucy, the less I like it.  I think they have okay chemistry, but it stopped being sexy to me after Lucy had to keep grabbing him to get him to kiss her.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, threebluestars said:

As ridiculous and implausible as it is I died laughing at Nyla's "It's a girl."

Now I'm waiting for something to happen that makes her question the baby's paternity because you know that's coming.

That was hilariously implausible. I hope there's no more drama about the baby.

11 hours ago, SunshineKelly said:

I really enjoyed this episode. Nyla was a complete badass when she came up out of the water. 

It was beautifully shot.

1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

3) How are a bunch of hardened criminals living right across the street from Nyla's very well appointed home that appears to cost at least 3-4 million?

I have no problem with the criminals, crime can pay...until (hopefully) it doesn't. But yeah, Nyla's house was pretty well appointed for a cop and a ... social worker?

I enjoyed the episode. I like Nolan as a training officer.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode up until Nyla's "It's a girl!"  Now the show is just toying with us.

Also hate birthing setups where the mother puts herself in danger by not having a midwife, at least, with her.  I know her husband said he'd done  home births before, and I understand the women of color distrust how hospitals treat them, specifically when giving birth, but it all seemed extreme to me, and Nyla strikes me as being more of a planner. She would have taken into account the chance that the midwife would get stuck in traffic. 

Thought for sure Rosalind was going to rear her ugly self up in the episode. Glad it was ONLY murderous neighbors. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I was back on Van Der Valk watch on PBS so did more flipping.  Liked the Nyla scenes but yes, that after birth scene was ridiculous but I did love her line to the criminal when she rose up out of the water.

Nolan did seem to be a decent TO.

I guess we're going to have to wait until Nov sweeps to conclude the Rosalind storyline?

Sigh, the Lucy thing.  As soon as the offer was made to her for the special school, I knew she'd find some way to try and wiggle out of it and it had nothing to do with the boyfriend.  Let's be real.  So of course, Tim showing up only made her motivation obvious and she still can't let it go...

• Love 1

Lucy apparently has issues with closed doors.  She didn't close the bathroom door all the way in the last episode, allowing Tim to watch her get naked and shower, and in this episode, she leaves the door to her apartment wide open after coming inside with her DA (yet still suspicious) boyfriend.  I would think as a kidnapping victim, Lucy would be more careful with her personal security.  Perhaps she's part cat.

I'm digging the Nolan/Aaron dynamic.  That is what I like about this show.  Lopez being alllll in charge as the lead detective at the murder scene was fantastic.  Nyla's labor and birthing in the midst of an investigation and firefight was.....yeah.  Totally ridiculous.  Yet, totally badass.  "It's a girl" indeed!  I knew it was going to be ludicrous when--as a woman in active labor, about to push a watermelon out from her hoo-ha--she was running around in a jumpsuit.  Hell, I won't wear jumpsuits because they're too much bother when I just need to pee.  Oh, Smitty.  Don't ever change....

Captain Grey (Sergeant Grey?) was pretty good here too.  He's still got the moves.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

So Nyla was about to crouch down at nine months pregnant and completely conceal herself in the birthing pool which is about a foot and a half deep.  Then, while underwater, she's able to see/hear that the bad guy has opened the closet and has his back to her.  Then, at a stage of pregnancy where most women need help getting up from the couch, she's able to rise straight up out of the water with both hands holding her gun and after shooting the bad guy, she gives birth, cuts the cord and cleans and wraps her baby up, all while having her gun trained on the bad guy.  

Never change, Rookie.  Never change.

• LOL 18
  • Love 4

Delurking to say RE: Bradford and Chen - I always took Bishop's speech relating to a rookie making a rookie mistake, and a reminder to not date a superior.  Not a "you can't do that ever" kind of thing.  Case in point - Bradford and Isabell.  Both were cops.  Technically they were even rookies together, so Bishop's little speech has been disproven.  Now the fact that Bradford is still her superior officer is still a problem.

It's TV though. I watch it for escapism, and I'm enjoying the story thus far.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So, the UC training will probably set Lucy on a path out from under Bradford, right?

That’s what I’m thinking. She’s got to go on a different path for them to make it work without the main consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

So Nyla was about to crouch down at nine months pregnant and completely conceal herself in the birthing pool which is about a foot and a half deep.

Right?! Even if she managed to completely submerge herself (unlikely unless she was literally lying down, which she wasn't), she still would have been clearly visible to flashlight guy. But no, let's ignore the laws of physics and the common sense of how people see so we can let the pregnant woman have her badass moment.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Right?! Even if she managed to completely submerge herself (unlikely unless she was literally lying down, which she wasn't), she still would have been clearly visible to flashlight guy. But no, let's ignore the laws of physics and the common sense of how people see so we can let the pregnant woman have her badass moment.

The thing that I can't care because I loved it so much. As mother of four, I was living my fantasy.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Slider said:

Delurking to say RE: Bradford and Chen - I always took Bishop's speech relating to a rookie making a rookie mistake, and a reminder to not date a superior.  Not a "you can't do that ever" kind of thing.  Case in point - Bradford and Isabell.  Both were cops.  Technically they were even rookies together, so Bishop's little speech has been disproven.  Now the fact that Bradford is still her superior officer is still a problem.

It's TV though. I watch it for escapism, and I'm enjoying the story thus far.

Here is what Bishop said, "I know about you and Nolan. And you were right to keep it secret, but you're wrong to keep it going. It'll brand you. No matter how good you are or how hard you work. Break things off before it's too late."

And as to Isabell/Bradford disproving it, who's to say that it DIDN'T brand Isabell? All we know about Isabell is that she became a heroin addict! I don't think pointing to Isabell/Bradford as an example of why it is okay fits. Heck, Bradford's past with Isabell would serve to make this make even LESS sense, I think, since he's BEEN with a cop in the past and it didn't work out. Since Bishop said that in the pilot, Hawley hasn't had any of the cops date cops throughout the series, which is practically unheard of a TV show about cops (seriously, has any other show about cops gone four seasons without having two cops hook up?). I think that certainly suggests that he believes in what Bishop was saying there. 

But yes, the biggest issue is that he's her direct supervisor. I don't know HOW the heck they're going to get around that. You can't very well get Chenford together at the same time you break their screen time up by not having them working together. It's an interesting situation to work through.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Hawley hasn't had any of the cops date cops throughout the series, which is practically unheard of a TV show about cops (seriously, has any other show about cops gone four seasons without having two cops hook up?

Well, these examples are more of a straight procedural (not dramedy!), but Benson/Stabler on SVU still have not hooked up. (Yet.) Ditto Goren/Eames on Criminal Intent.

Never happened with Hunter/McCall on Hunter, either! (Unless one counts the off screen retcon one-nighter in S6 [which was said to take place in the S4 time line]; I remember H/M had to get counseling and the shrink was played by Allan Arbus, famously known as another shrink in Maj. Sidney Freedman on MASH!)

So, actually, it seems like cops NOT hooking up seems more prevalent based on above. (Although yes, there are those who wanted all examples to happen, and it may still for Stabler/Benson. My guess is if/when SVU FINALLY gives up the ghost.)

• Love 1

Ironically, on a side note, when I was about 12/13, I remember Aaron Spelling even made a show about two cops that were secretly dating and even secretly got married. I think it was called Macgruder and Loud. And for all the other examples I wrote where shipping is concerned, Spelling's show - which seemed to try to use that fan mechanism to sell it - bombed.

I believe it only lasted 3 months.

I just find that sort of ironic, since shipping TV pairings is as old as time!

But back to this episode. I am really wondering how the supposed lead [Nathan Fillion/John Nolan] can remain relevant/sustainable as he seems pigeon-holed as a TO, which really doesn't seem to translate into much drama.

But then, maybe that is what NF wants. To quote Dire Straits, "Money for nothing and the checks for free."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, these examples are more of a straight procedural (not dramedy!), but Benson/Stabler on SVU still have not hooked up. (Yet.) Ditto Goren/Eames on Criminal Intent.

I never watched Criminal Intent, but didn't SVU have a number of cop-on-cop romances over its many, many years? I could have sworn Benson dated a cop early in the series. Most cop shows don't take the idea of cops not dating cops too seriously. Heck, on Blue Bloods, they literally allow a married cop to serve under her husband as sergeant! They initially did it as "We work different shifts," but obviously that was boring, so soon it was "Okay, same shifts, but, um, um....let's just not talk about this!" 

So don't get me wrong, when it happens with Chenford, I'm not going to be offended or anything, this stuff happens all of the time on cop TV shows. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

I never watched Criminal Intent, but didn't SVU have a number of cop-on-cop romances over its many, many years? I could have sworn Benson dated a cop early in the series. Most cop shows don't take the idea of cops not dating cops too seriously. Heck, on Blue Bloods, they literally allow a married cop to serve under her husband as sergeant! They initially did it as "We work different shifts," but obviously that was boring, so soon it was "Okay, same shifts, but, um, um....let's just not talk about this!" 

So don't get me wrong, when it happens with Chenford, I'm not going to be offended or anything, this stuff happens all of the time on cop TV shows. 

I do remember a SVU plot where Stabler being separated from his wife and while Benson was away for a few episodes he did the deal with her replacement

3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Rambo Nyla - what a dumb and ridiculous plot!

😂😂😂😂😂

997992d8b207705f4830bd0b2b84aaf3bff4c48b

giphy.gif

You have to admire the filmmaker's skill to get that small body of water to stay so still with so much of it being displaced by Detective Harper.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

No one mentioned the greatest cop show of all time?! HILL STREET BLUES.  If Bates and Coffey and Belker and Robin made it work, then I'm good.  (Granted Lucy and Joe split, but remained friends.) 

• Love 6

Why does Aaron get to wear short sleeves if he is still a rookie?

I just love Officer Harper so I enjoyed the complete break from reality of her birthing story. I watch TV to escape reality, not to re-live it.

I do remember the first season of this show and what complete a-holes Bradford, Lopez and Bishop were to the point they were just badge bullies. I'm glad the direction of the show changed. I remember how Harper was portrayed as well and I'm glad they softened her up.

Officer Smitty will always be the best thing about this show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Why does Aaron get to wear short sleeves if he is still a rookie?

I just love Officer Harper so I enjoyed the complete break from reality of her birthing story. I watch TV to escape reality, not to re-live it.

I do remember the first season of this show and what complete a-holes Bradford, Lopez and Bishop were to the point they were just badge bullies. I'm glad the direction of the show changed. I remember how Harper was portrayed as well and I'm glad they softened her up.

Officer Smitty will always be the best thing about this show.

They made a show driven change from LAPD culture in the second season that in the second half of their probationary year after passing an oral exam by the Chief of Police the rookies got to wear the short sleeves. But then it was cooler when they wear filming so they were wearing jackets for most of that season and the only way you noticed when they were on the street was the lack of a neck tie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It was bugging me how familiar the actress was playing Bradford's sister until I Googled her and realized I know her from playing Jane on Mad Men. Also, there are two actresses named Peyton List. I thought that wasn't allowed, hence why some actors change their name or are forced to use a middle initial. I wonder if she ever shows up for an audition and they say, "Sorry, we meant the other Peyton List, the younger version." Just a random observation. 

Giving birth in a giant inflatable pool seems so messy. How do you even dump it out afterwards? Can it just go down the shower drain or are there giant clumps of afterbirth in there? Okay, I'm going to stop thinking about this and finish my breakfast burrito. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

The thing that I can't care because I loved it so much. As mother of four, I was living my fantasy.

Who were you going to shoot in that fantasy? 😉

1 hour ago, Faceplant said:

Giving birth in a giant inflatable pool seems so messy. How do you even dump it out afterwards? Can it just go down the shower drain or are there giant clumps of afterbirth in there? Okay, I'm going to stop thinking about this and finish my breakfast burrito. 

Amen. I prefer showers because of just regular dirt in the bath - but blood and such (and occasionally poop, so I hear). No way. I don't have a problem with midwives and such, but I chose a hospital and to tell the truth, when push came to shove, I didn't care where the hell I was, I just wanted my little bowling ball out of me.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Amen. I prefer showers because of just regular dirt in the bath - but blood and such (and occasionally poop, so I hear). No way. I don't have a problem with midwives and such, but I chose a hospital and to tell the truth, when push came to shove, I didn't care where the hell I was, I just wanted my little bowling ball out of me.

Much respect for anyone who has gone through childbirth because that looks horrible and just no. I wish test tube babies were actually grown in big tubes and then after nine months or so, you just crack open the glass and you have a big, fat, clean baby. Since that's not yet reality, I opted for adoption.

I'm glad Nyla finally had the baby because that pregnancy suit they had her in was huge. I thought for sure twins, but no. I know she actually gave birth in real life, but assuming this was a fake stomach. And wow, I can't believe she is 40 years old. From her Instagram, she did actually have a home birth and thanked the writers of The Rookie for depicting and normalizing the experience. I'm not sure if she knows what the word normalizing means. Hopefully there won't be too many baby in distress storylines, although those may be preferable to Bradford/Chen or crazy serial killer lady storylines.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Faceplant said:

I thought that wasn't allowed

I've been meaning to do an article on this topic, but suffice to say, so long as it is your legal name, they can't force you to change it, only strongly suggest you change it.

And the Lists are the perfect example of the real rule.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, milkyaqua said:

Sigh, the Lucy thing.  As soon as the offer was made to her for the special school, I knew she'd find some way to try and wiggle out of it and it had nothing to do with the boyfriend. 

Is "undercover school" a real thing?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Slider said:

No one mentioned the greatest cop show of all time?! HILL STREET BLUES.  If Bates and Coffey and Belker and Robin made it work, then I'm good.  (Granted Lucy and Joe split, but remained friends.) 

To be fair, when that show began, I was in elementary school, so I never watched. 😎

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Slider said:

Eh, different vibe.  And I remember hating Frank and Joyce together but that was because I was never a Veronica Hamel fan.  This show is more light weight and in that case it shouldn't be as annoying but it's as though the Lucy character has regressed from when this show first started.  I just get desperate puppy dog wanting to be loved from her and that irritates me (obviously, others opinions are going to vary) but I just have no interest in seeing her and Tim together but TPTB have said that's what's going to happen so I'll just mute/flip when they come on.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Eh, different vibe.  And I remember hating Frank and Joyce together but that was because I was never a Veronica Hamel fan.  This show is more light weight and in that case it shouldn't be as annoying but it's as though the Lucy character has regressed from when this show first started.  I just get desperate puppy dog wanting to be loved from her and that irritates me (obviously, others opinions are going to vary) but I just have no interest in seeing her and Tim together but TPTB have said that's what's going to happen so I'll just mute/flip when they come on.

I only remember Hill Street Blues vaguely. But I agree about the Lucy character. It's clearly direction - because she played an absolute badass in Dark Matter, and even softened up now and again in the show. There was not a moment on that show where I doubted her ability to handle things. It's really hard to believe Lucy should be a cop (though she did okay undercover) with all her dithering and puppy eyes.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Slider said:

I'm almost positive Bates and Coffey never actually got together before he was killed off. And she questioned what dating Coffey would do to her reputation CONSTANTLY (which is why they never got together - they took the Chenford dynamic to the Nth degree on the show, though, they were like Tony and Angela in Who's the Boss? if Tony and Angela never got together because Tony was killed first. SO MUCH "Will they or won't they?" stuff before they ultimately didn't and then he was killed). 

Mick and Robin definitely count, but they also handled things properly and transferred to a different precinct when they started dating. I don't think that's a possibility for this show. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I'm almost positive Bates and Coffey never actually got together before he was killed off. And she questioned what dating Coffey would do to her reputation CONSTANTLY (which is why they never got together - they took the Chenford dynamic to the Nth degree on the show, though, they were like Tony and Angela in Who's the Boss? if Tony and Angela never got together because Tony was killed first. SO MUCH "Will they or won't they?" stuff before they ultimately didn't and then he was killed). 

Mick and Robin definitely count, but they also handled things properly and transferred to a different precinct when they started dating. I don't think that's a possibility for this show. 

That rings a bell...but Tony getting killed off in Who's the Boss? doesn't. I must have stopped watching by then. (or was that still referring to Coffey?)

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

That rings a bell...but Tony getting killed off in Who's the Boss? doesn't. I must have stopped watching by then. (or was that still referring to Coffey?)

Ha! I'm saying that Coffey and Bates were like Tony and Angela, only if Tony died before they could get together. 

• LOL 2

I'm going to write an article on this topic in the future, but what the heck, I'll share this juicy 1983 Bochco quote about Bates and Coffey now:

"We had Joe and Lucy having an affair. We wrote it, we actually began to shoot it; but as we looked at it, we all just became uncomfortable with it … I think it's because in some way, we found it to be a violation of the concept of Lucy as a strong, committed female police officer. Female police officers still tend to be looked upon with less trust and respect than male officers and are treated more as sex objects in their departments. Consequently, we have always had Lucy show a very strong feeling that she had to be better, tougher, stronger in those arenas than anybody else to maintain her credibility as a police officer. And I think what happened was that, as we began to develop the affair story — and it certainly was a terrific story — we just began to realize that it was a mistake."

Hmmmm....

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

To be fair, when that show began, I was in elementary school, so I never watched. 😎

Best cop show EVER.  I was a baby when it first aired, but my dad loved it so much that years later when we found it on Hulu, we started a rewatch and I was hooked from the first "Let's be careful out there."  Hill and Renko were my guys, Lucy was a badass, and JD's drinking problem and subsequent recovery attempt made me cry my eyes out.  I wish they would reboot it, but that show could never be made again.

I guess that's why I don't have personal viewing rules for The Rookie.  The Rookie is lighthearted and silly.  HSB was not.  It could be, i.e. a gruffy, facial haired Belker undercover as a woman, Esterhaus dating Cindy, a high school senior, and Vietnam Vet Howard's attempt to militarize the police every chance he got while bossing around Valentine, just to name a few.   If anyone wants to see a good show, Hill Street Blues is definitely it.  (I realize this got off topic, so I thank the mods for indulging me 😉)

• Like 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, jabRI said:

lucy leaving her apt door wide open was silly, Ros is lurking somewhere.   What happened to that high school girl living with her? havent' seen her?

It's a great question. How come the roommate did not find Chris on the couch when she came home?

Her roommate appeared in the first episode of the season in the scene where Lucy woke up from a dream abiut Tim. 

Edited by nittany cougar
11 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

It's a great question. How come the roommate did not find Chris on the couch when she came home?

Her roommate appeared in the first episode of the season in the scene where Lucy woke up from a dream abiut Tim. 

The roommate, Tamara, didn't find Tim because she was at the precinct in a protective situation from Rosalind, along with Bailey, Gray's wife Luna and others. When they realized Rosalind had crossed the border and left the country, Tamara obviously didn't make it back to the apartment before Lucy did.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm so disappointed - while my DVR said it was recording episode 5.2, the actual episode was from season 1, with several characters who have since left the show. I don't know if this was a choice of our local station or what, but it seems that the season 5 episode was not broadcast (or at least my DVR didn't record it whenever that was).

• Sad 1