Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: ...After The Phantoms Of Your Former Self

• Start Topic

Louis recounts his transition to becoming a vampire; his first kill, his reluctance to break ties with his family and his ultimate failure to enjoy the art of his new powers, much to the chagrin of Lestat.

Streaming on AMC+ 22.10.02 and airing on AMC 22.10.09. 

Proceed at your own risk for spoilers before the AMC airdate.

• Love 1

Beginning his life as a vampire, Louis learns the rules of vampirism from his maker and companion Lestat; Louis discovers increasing differences between himself and Lestat; in Dubai, Louis reveals more of his modern-day vampire lifestyle to Molloy. 

81BYGn9KFrL._SX536_.jpg

• Love 2

Lestat still doesn't work for me. I don't know if it's the actor or the character, but I find him to be extremely annoying. Since I also found him extremely annoying when I skiped through the movie a few days ago, I assume it's the character.

Not sure if I can take a whole season of him (and I assume he will stick around for at least that long). Which is a shame since I do love Louis.

• Like 2

I’m enjoying this reimagining of the Vampire Chronicles, and I REALLY like that the show is telegraphing its intentions to continue the story after IWTV.  Granted, I’m only a casual fan (I read the books because my friends urged me to almost 30 years ago), but the changes worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Gorgeous!  Louis tripping out after he was turned is so perfect!  The romance and magnetism of Louis/Lestat's relationship really does it for me.  And seeing Lestat teach Louis to read minds was lovely.  I thought the female opera singers teeth were very fangy for a bit there, but Lestat's speech makes it unlikely she was a vampire.  This was another 10/10, I can't get enough of these two characters! 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
On 10/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, AnimeMania said:

Beginning his life as a vampire, Louis learns the rules of vampirism from his maker and companion Lestat; Louis discovers increasing differences between himself and Lestat; in Dubai, Louis reveals more of his modern-day vampire lifestyle to Molloy. 

81BYGn9KFrL._SX536_.jpg

I really liked this episode as well. Louis is going to have to let go of his human ties sooner rather than later; his moral crisis should be interesting to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

There was so much gorgeousness to look at in this episode. Some of it I know was by design to illustrate Louis "tripping balls" with his newfound powers and vision, but it was really lush and sumptuous looking nonetheless. The episode did a good job of showing the day to day (night to night) practicalities of vampire life with actually quite a bit of dark humor. I wasn't really prepared to like this portrayal of Lestat as much as I am. The actor seems to have a good handle on the idea that Lestat is all large gestures and larger personality that is all the more so because he has all the power and time in the world to be that while also hitting just the right balance of seductive and off putting.

Louis meanwhile seems to initially think he's going to go on with life just like before, only now with Vampire Power! It's one of the ironically humanizing things about his story that it's such a long struggle to let go of his mortal life and ties. I kind of love that his family has such distaste for Lestat without quite knowing why. Again, he's weird and offputting to them too and they know there's some kind of something going on there, but they're also afraid to probe too deeply into what exactly that might be. In the modern timeline, Louis is putting on quite the show for Daniel of being better and more evolved than the average vampire and I love that Daniel can have the random moment of wanting to be taken in while also seeing through it.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 10/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, MrsR said:

Lester WAS annoying in the book. Rice didn't romanticize him until the next book.

ITWTV was told from Louis' point of view. Lestat was a total jerk.

I actually thought Lestat was annoying in ALL the books.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Lestat's actor is played by a skinny dude.  He almost looked frail in his nude scene.

I wondered how Louis would react when he has the power of a vampire now, but is still scraping and saying "yes, sir" to condescending assholes.  It wasn't smart that he killed the guy in front of the business, but I don't blame him.

It was interesting to see how Louis and Lestat lived during those first years.  It was kind of cute that Lestat was joining Louis on his rounds.  I didn't realize that he broke the bouncer's arm, I thought he only punched him.

It was nice to see the Louis still has an attachment to his family, but he will have to let go.  The close call with his nephew was something else, especially since it seemed like he wouldn't answer Daniel's question.  I was trying to understand his mother's thoughts.  Does she know that her son is gay?

That poor tenor.  It was awful that Lestat humiliated him before he died.  I felt sad for him when Louis described his thoughts while he was dying.  That it went on for hours was even more sad.

• Love 6

As expected, I liked this much better than the first one, now that they have gotten into the "meat" of the story, so to speak. Ironically, the interview portions themselves aren't really working for me, but I suppose they are unavoidable, given the title. A straightforward telling of Louis' story with his own narration would suit me just fine. (I did, however, laugh when the Daniel kept asking if he ate the baby.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

The poor opera singer. He's the only one I felt bad for in this episode. I wanted to scream "Lestat, stop playing with your food and put him out of his misery!"

I felt bad for the traveling salesman.   He seemed nice.  He had a daughter.  

I thought killing the opera singer went against Lestat's rules.  Louis couldn't attack the sailor he wanted because he'd be missed.  Wouldn't an opera performer part of a troupe also be missed?  One who a whole audience had seen and therefore would have remembered him talking to Lestat at the bar?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I finally got around to watching this and quite liked it.  I see not everyone cared for Lestat, but I thought all of the actors really brought their A-game.  I felt the time change worked and so did changing up Louis' history, giving the show its own flavor without much straying far from its source.   It's been ages since I had seen the movie or read the series even though I knew the general story, so it was nice having things brought back to me.  Some things were definitely different, yet the Benji story seemed vaguely familiar to me, although I don't remember it at all.  Was this in the books?  I know it wasn't in the movie. I admit I got laugh when Daniel kept asking 'Did you eat the baby?'  

• Love 3
On 10/10/2022 at 12:38 PM, Irlandesa said:

I felt bad for the traveling salesman.   He seemed nice.  He had a daughter.  

I thought killing the opera singer went against Lestat's rules.  Louis couldn't attack the sailor he wanted because he'd be missed.  Wouldn't an opera performer part of a troupe also be missed?  One who a whole audience had seen and therefore would have remembered him talking to Lestat at the bar?

Good point.  I guess the rule can be changed since Lestat was so offended by his off-tune singing.  

While I thought this episode was excellent, I am borderline despising Lestat.  I just find him disgusting.  He's so smarmy and clearly such a con artist/user type I just can't with him.  

I do like Louis though.  I never read the books so I'm hoping that Louis eventually kicks Lestat's ass.  

Daniel is brave.  Even if Louis hasn't attacked and killed someone since 2000 (and the joke Daniel made about that was pretty funny), he's still a vampire.    

ETA:  It sounds like Lestat has been a vampire for a while.  Has he not turned anyone else?  That seems pretty hard to believe, especially since he obviously adores Louis being dependent on him.  

Edited by psychoticstate
5 hours ago, MamaMax said:

one little thing annoying me - why re they such sloppy eaters?? They let the blood run out of their mouths. Its all over their clothes.  It doesn't make sense to me. 

Thank you - I'm so glad it's not just me! I thought the whole point was not to waste a drop, though of course that wouldn't be as cinematic. (Much scarier though, IMO)

• Love 1

Just got to watching this. The 90's movie is one of my favorites, but this is even better! I'm loving everyone, and am surprised to see the hate for Lestat. I find him absolutely mesmerizing. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

Thank you - I'm so glad it's not just me! I thought the whole point was not to waste a drop, though of course that wouldn't be as cinematic. (Much scarier though, IMO)

The bloody messes don't scare me though, they just make me go Ewww. The scary part for me is the suspense, the  psychological stuff.  I was scared to death by Bram Stokers Dracula w Winona Ryder and I dont recall that being so blood n guts 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

He does brutally murder innocent people.  He makes it easy to hate him.

That's never bothered me. He's a Vampire, and hundreds (if not thousands) of years old. Humans are his prey, and he doesn't have a soft spot for them as Louis does. I can certainly find myself empathizing with them both. 

1 minute ago, MamaMax said:

The bloody messes don't scare me though, they just make me go Ewww. The scary part for me is the suspense, the  psychological stuff.  I was scared to death by Bram Stokers Dracula w Winona Ryder and I dont recall that being so blood n guts 

Great movie. Watch it again; there's plenty of blood and guts and bestiality 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I also don't like the blood scenes but not because they are killing since it's fiction. It's the same way I don't like seeing people making a mess of themselves with BBQ or tomato sauce and dropping food all over, stuff like that.

I enjoy Lestat's. he's a jerk but I think he's hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
On 10/9/2022 at 11:24 PM, peridot said:

I was trying to understand his mother's thoughts.  Does she know that her son is gay?

Yeah, she suspected her son of being gay. I think that's one of the reason she seems to favor Paul over him. I really dislike how she treats Louis. I think her hateful statements to Louis after Paul had just died helped push Louis towards accepting Lestat proposal to be a vampire  

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I loved the scene where they're both in their coffins having a little chat. Lestat speaking through the closed coffins was hilarious, and later they open them up to reveal that they're both in their pjs, with slippers next to the coffins and satin-y bed(coffin?)clothes - they made those coffins look positively comfy lol

• Like 1
  • Love 14

This adaptation is so good.  They're really fleshing out the details of Louis and Lestat's romance.  Jacob Anderson is doing an excellent job.

Were the priests still alive when Lestat buried them?  I heard groaning, but I couldn't tell if that was just Louis.

This is the first time in vampire lore that I've seen vampires able to eat regular food or go inside a church.  So used to them bursting into flames the moment they set foot inside.  And was nice to see Louis able to go in the sun for a bit, even if it did start burning him immediately.

I think Sam is doing a good job as Lestat and balancing his cruelty with his love for Louis.  Interested in his obvious disdain for religion.

Is anyone else having issues with the closed captioning in this show?  They're awful.  Misses entire sentences or worse, misquoting.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2022 at 12:39 AM, Amethyst said:

Were the priests still alive when Lestat buried them?  I heard groaning, but I couldn't tell if that was just Louis.

I think the one whose brains Lestat didn't punch out was still alive - there was a definite, audible reaction when Lestat broke his legs so he'd fit inside the tomb (eww!). I love this show so far, but I wish the vampires would 'waste' less blood. It seems weird to not drink someone dry when they're already killing them anyway.

Edited by silverstream
  • Love 3

My favorite moment was after Louis was back home and freaking out that he nearly killed the baby and then Lestat brings out the opera tickets. They end up devolving into fussy, old-married-couple-style bickering and then as Lestat is walking away to the closet in the next room, Louis shouts, "I nearly ATE my nephew!" (I may have got the exact line wrong, paraphrasing) 

IDK, it just got me giggling.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2022 at 6:28 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

My favorite moment was after Louis was back home and freaking out that he nearly killed the baby and then Lestat brings out the opera tickets. They end up devolving into fussy, old-married-couple-style bickering and then as Lestat is walking away to the closet in the next room, Louis shouts, "I nearly ATE my nephew!" (I may have got the exact line wrong, paraphrasing) 

That had me laughing too.  Louis’ reaction was so incredulous and Lestat is all “whatever, let’s go to the opera” lol.  

Edited by Amethyst
Lestat not Lester
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2022 at 6:30 AM, silverstream said:

I think the one whose brains Lestat didn't punch out was still alive - there was a definite, audible reaction when Lestat broke his legs so he'd fit inside the tomb (eww!). I love this show so far, but I wish the vampires would 'waste' less blood. It seems weird to not drink someone dry when they're already killing them anyway.

I know. Get the tupperware out, leftovers tomorrow! You must be a parent too. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I just started watching this show (have not read the books or seen the '94 movie), and I was really surprised at how domestic these two are - at least for a little while. Someone else mentioned their coffins next to each other, along with bedroom slippers. Super domestic, which caught me off guard.

I don't necessarily hate Lestat, but I do find his face very punchable.

Jacob Anderson is really good as Louis.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching this.  I read the book  so long ago that I may as well have not read it at all given how few details I really remember.

I liked the first episode fine, but this one... this one sucked me in.

Lovely writing, storytelling and visuals.    The casting is superb.  Louis is so relatable and a good sympathetic narrator.  Lestat is complex-- one moment charming and handsome and another moment very off putting and repulsive.  The actor has a gorgeous voice, though.  I listen to him narrated the hell out of an audiobook.

I also really like how they've incorporated race in the story since they've race bent Louis.  It feels organic to the character and not tacked on or preachy. Added that to his sexuality  -- so many nice layers in how Louis is telling his story.

I thought the scenes of his being a baby vamp were well done.  His first feed was clumsy.  At first I thought Lestat neglecting to tell Louis about how dangerous the sun was was just dumb, but then the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  He's been a vamp for two centuries.  Avoiding the sun is second nature and it doesn't seem as if he's done this often if at all.  So it is like he's a bad teacher because he's never had to be.   I will say Louis pouring cold milk over his burned flesh was a great idea. 

The murder of the tenor made me really sad for some reason.  Maybe it was because of the casual cruelty of it.  To me, out of everything, this dovetailing with Louis' earlier rage of being so easily dismissed because he's a black man starkly illustrates  how thoughtlessly inhumane powerful people can become.

The interview portions make me impatient.  I just want to get back to the story.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I finally got around to watching this.  I read the book  so long ago that I may as well have not read it at all given how few details I really remember.

I liked the first episode fine, but this one... this one sucked me in.

Lovely writing, storytelling and visuals.    The casting is superb.  Louis is so relatable and a good sympathetic narrator.  Lestat is complex-- one moment charming and handsome and another moment very off putting and repulsive.  The actor has a gorgeous voice, though.  I listen to him narrated the hell out of an audiobook.

I also really like how they've incorporated race in the story since they've race bent Louis.  It feels organic to the character and not tacked on or preachy. Added that to his sexuality  -- so many nice layers in how Louis is telling his story.

I thought the scenes of his being a baby vamp were well done.  His first feed was clumsy.  At first I thought Lestat neglecting to tell Louis about how dangerous the sun was was just dumb, but then the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  He's been a vamp for two centuries.  Avoiding the sun is second nature and it doesn't seem as if he's done this often if at all.  So it is like he's a bad teacher because he's never had to be.   I will say Louis pouring cold milk over his burned flesh was a great idea. 

The murder of the tenor made me really sad for some reason.  Maybe it was because of the casual cruelty of it.  To me, out of everything, this dovetailing with Louis' earlier rage of being so easily dismissed because he's a black man starkly illustrates  how thoughtlessly inhumane powerful people can become.

The interview portions make me impatient.  I just want to get back to the story.

Looking forward to reading more of your opinions!