Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/5/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 5 (ENCORE BROADCAST - OAD: 8/5/22) – White House COVID Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha; Kevin Bacon (“City on a Hill”); take a rare view behind the scenes as season 25 draws to a close

Tuesday, Sept. 6 – “The View” kicks off Season 26

Wednesday, Sept. 7 – Hillary & Chelsea Clinton (“Gutsy”)

Thursday, Sept. 8 – Regina Hall (“Honk For Jesus. Save Your Soul.”)

Friday, Sept. 9 – Guest to be announced

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, Haleth said:

They had almost a month to line up guests and they still don’t have anyone for Fri? 😄

It wouldn't surprise me if some potential guests want to see how Alyssa's hiring affects the show and viewers before comitting to appear.

I'm hoping to see a new normal-height table and chairs on set so they don't injure any of their hosts or guests. They are on a raised stage; there has never been a need for them to teeter on highchairs.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AusTvWatcher said:

Looks like the jumbo COVID safe desk is gone based off these previews, thank goodness. It looked hideous on air. 

Last season it was so funny seeing some of their flashback clips with tiny tables. In comparison the older shows looked liked they were using a kid's tea table and sitting shoulder to shoulder.

21 hours ago, AusTvWatcher said:

Looks like the jumbo COVID safe desk is gone based off these previews, thank goodness. It looked hideous on air. 

I like the smaller tables. Not the stupid coffee table one they did when Rosie O’Donnell returned. But the smaller table allows for a more intimate discussion rather then shouting from the order side of what is a grandiose dining table. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, Haleth said:

They had almost a month to line up guests and they still don’t have anyone for Fri?

My thoughts exactly!!! This is a boring, lackluster line up, considering it's their first week back. I guess they really don't care about getting their sagging ratings out of the crapper or making the show something we would actually look forward to watching instead of this boring nonsense that has degenerated into the "Let's just sit here and stroke Whoopi's ego" show, with lots of shots of Sunny pursing her lips and looking like a disapproving Victorian grandmother and Sara trying to run interference.

• LOL 3

I'd thought Joy had lost weight before she said so, she looked nice. Her hair was done more like it was in the early years, same shape and not as bright red.

A pretty good return show, I thought! Probably the worst part was the end when Sunny was talking about her husband used some nice towel Sunny owns to wipe up dog urine and Whoopi took the husband's side (as always when it comes to Sunny), and even suggested she could still use the towel... She has to be at odds with Sunny on everything to the point she just sounds stupid sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Alyssa seems to believe she is on Fox news & that everything she says is gospel and to be believed without any push back, you're in the wrong place for that sweetheart. Welcome to an actual discussion where you get called out on your bullshit, we're not even 30 minutes in & she's already struggling and looking pissed off.

Just remember it's better to be pissed off than pissed on, well for most people.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

About the student loan forgiveness proposal: I think Alyssa made the most sense when she said that it doesn't address the problem of how expensive colleges and universities are even when they already have tons of money. They get away with charging exorbitant tuition.  Most helpful would be to have those issues addressed.

I think Sunny illustrated another issue (although I don't think she intended to) when she pointed out that when she wanted to study in Europe, she took out loans that she only finished paying off a few years ago. We don't know how much she borrowed, how much she put into her payments, and so on, which all affects how much debt and how long it takes to pay off, but if she finished her education when she was around 28-29 years old, it took about 23 years to pay off. The point that I think was implicit in this is that she didn't realize how much interest would accrue and how long it would take. It would help with future student loan pain if the lending company must be explicit about the terms of the loan, interest, penalties, etc. instead of having those details down in the weeds of the documentation. Make this all very clear UP FRONT and in bold letters so there's no misunderstanding later. Perhaps then people would think twice about getting these loans.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Alyssa seems to believe she is on Fox news & that everything she says is gospel and to be believed without any push back, you're in the wrong place for that sweetheart. Welcome to an actual discussion where you get called out on your bullshit, we're not even 30 minutes in & she's already struggling and looking pissed off.

Just remember it's better to be pissed off than pissed on, well for most people.

And true to form, she reveals her real self once put on contract.

NONE of this can be surprising.

Will she be on the panel tomorrow during Hillary’s visit? If so, this is me with the 🍿:

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Interest Reaction GIF

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And true to form, she reveals her real self once put on contract.

NONE of this can be surprising.

Will she be on the panel tomorrow during Hillary’s visit? If so, this is me with the 🍿:

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Interest Reaction GIF

Wheres Paula and her popcorn heehee 🙃

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

The one thing that bugged me is that there was no cohesiveness in the remarks.  Again with the over talking  each other.  Go back to some semblance of a pecking order, and why does newbie have to speak first everytime?  I would think she'd be last.  Otherwise glad they're back!

P.s. had to chuckle everytime Sunny interrupted her heh

Edited by ForumLou
To add
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think Sunny illustrated another issue (although I don't think she intended to) when she pointed out that when she wanted to study in Europe, she took out loans that she only finished paying off a few years ago. We don't know how much she borrowed, how much she put into her payments, and so on, which all affects how much debt and how long it takes to pay off, but if she finished her education when she was around 28-29 years old, it took about 23 years to pay off. The point that I think was implicit in this is that she didn't realize how much interest would accrue and how long it would take. It would help with future student loan pain if the lending company must be explicit about the terms of the loan, interest, penalties, etc. instead of having those details down in the weeds of the documentation. Make this all very clear UP FRONT and in bold letters so there's no misunderstanding later. Perhaps then people would think twice about getting these loans.

Or better yet, make changes to how and how much interest can accrue.  Sunny likely repaid twice as much as she borrowed.   It really is the interest that gets a lot of people buried. 

I thought Alyssa would relax a bit after getting the job full time but she's still uptight.   I had to shake my head when she said that people like her family members should not be considered as dangerous as the former president.   Considering that her dad was a prominent birther and her family doesn't speak to her because she spoke out against you know who.    She kinda bolstered Sunny's point on why you can't separate the 2.      

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

. Perhaps then people would think twice about getting these loans.

Some people don't have a choice but to get these loans. Some people want to be social workers. Or teachers or whatever and they require degrees.   I remember once a few years reading a rant by someone who criticized social workers for taking on so much student loan debt when most likely they would never make enough money to pay off those debts.  He criticized the social workers. Not the state for not paying them enough money. Not the colleges for having such expensive tuition.  But the social worker who was only doing their jobs.  My question was and is just who exactly is supposed to be social workers?  Only people who can afford to pay tuition out of pocket?

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Some people don't have a choice but to get these loans. Some people want to be social workers. Or teachers or whatever and they require degrees.

I so agreed with Sara on this point when she was saying people who go into public service (like social workers, teachers, nurses, what have you) should be able to get reduced loan debt and/or lower interest rates even more than other professions.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I so agreed with Sara on this point when she was saying people who go into public service (like social workers, teachers, nurses, what have you) should be able to get reduced loan debt and/or lower interest rates even more than other professions.

I’m really fuzzy on the specifics but they do. At least in my son’s case he will have his debt wiped off after 10 years (?) in service. He works at a public university in CA.  

• Useful 4
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

I’m really fuzzy on the specifics but they do. At least in my son’s case he will have his debt wiped off after 10 years (?) in service. He works at a public university in CA.  

Not across the board.  There's tons of loopholes in these programs.  It only applies to certain agencies/entities/employers, you can't miss any payments, you have to have certain types of loans, etc.   So many people who think they are eligible for loan forgiveness are not.   

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Some people don't have a choice but to get these loans. Some people want to be social workers. Or teachers or whatever and they require degrees.   I remember once a few years reading a rant by someone who criticized social workers for taking on so much student loan debt when most likely they would never make enough money to pay off those debts.  He criticized the social workers. Not the state for not paying them enough money. Not the colleges for having such expensive tuition.  But the social worker who was only doing their jobs.  My question was and is just who exactly is supposed to be social workers?  Only people who can afford to pay tuition out of pocket?

I am a social worker and agree wholeheartedly about understaffed state agencies and low salaries.  However, one can be a competent social worker going to a less expensive graduate school.  I realize all is relative and I do agree about salaries, etc. and for teachers and other public servants who are underpaid.  How many times were we told to "work smarter not harder" and to "do more with less".   And yes education is way more expensive than it has to be.  And yes, the compounding interest on student loans is obscene.  Didn't the new package address that?  I am out of school a long time and don't have any debt but I fully support whatever can be done with any kind of relief, this package included.  Sunny is so privileged.  She probably could have paid her debts off sooner but there must have been some advantage to keeping them?  Taxwise?  Financial aid forms for her children?

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

It would help with future student loan pain if the lending company must be explicit about the terms of the loan, interest, penalties, etc. instead of having those details down in the weeds of the documentation. Make this all very clear UP FRONT and in bold letters so there's no misunderstanding later.

There’s also different types of loans. Federal loans are the loans that can be forgiven, not private loans. Federal loans were the loans that were put on pause, not private loans. Also, federal loans are forgiven if you die before you finish paying them off. Private loans, however, usually have lower interest rates. Multiple people told me to consolidate my loans and I never did for the above reasons. I don’t qualify for the loan forgiveness but thanks to the pause and multiple grants due to working in an underserved community, I should have my loans paid off by next year.

It was kind of annoying that the hosts were conflating the two types of loans.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 3

I am already over Whoopi.

I like her and want to hear what she thinks but she goes on and on and on and gets so excitable she makes the others kind of let her do it. Plus she takes too much time announcing the topic...which is why I like Joy more as the moderator.

Joy can throw in a comment/joke, Sara can lean over and tame her down...Sunny pouts and loves doing it. But Whoopi continues on even repeating herself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I had to laugh when Whoopi was criticizing YKW's speech and saying he needs to get new words.  Then the next thing she said was something about pooping on the Constitution.  Speaking of needing new words...

• Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I am already over Whoopi.

Picture those of us who DON'T like her ... who DID like her as an actress and occasional guest here and there.  But "Moderator," NO!  

7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I like her and want to hear what she thinks but she goes on and on and on and gets so excitable she makes the others kind of let her do it.

And her "humble brags" are something to behold.  She interrupts everyone and doesn't let others do the same.  OY!  Disney loves her, so she'll probably outlast me.

11 hours ago, rwlevin said:

It was kind of annoying that the hosts were conflating the two types of loans.

When they start discussing stuff like this I want to YELL, "Get an expert!  Get an interesting guest!  Learn the facts!"

• Applause 7
16 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Some people want to be social workers. Or teachers or whatever and they require degrees. 

Those are some of the degrees with the lower pay rates.  What's WORSE...for some reason the entities that employ social workers and teachers  REQUIRE (eventually) advanced degrees.  So there they are, our humble, hardworking, stressed, underpaid social workers and teachers...and NOW they have to give more time and money to obtain more education to continue working.  WHO MAKES THESE RULES?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3

I agree with Sara. Questioning the results isn't a crime and neither is challenging an election via a lawsuit, that is every candidate's right. It's the refusing to concede, refusing to accept the results after the lawsuit is over and you lost, encouraging violence to overthrow and murder Congress, wanting the Speaker of the House and Vice-President to be killed, etc. etc. that's the danger, and, as Whoopi said, comparing that to Gore or HRC is comparing "apples to basketballs," lol.

But I will correct one thing Sara said, as far as HRC "challenging" the election. Hillary didn't challenge the election outright the way Trump did even though she questioned the results in comments afterwards. Jill Stein is the one who instigated recounts, not Hillary Clinton. Hillary conceded the morning after the election...

• Applause 15
  • Love 5

I have been watching on and off for a few months. It is doubtful after hearing Alyssa this morning if I can continue to tune in at all. She didn't stick to the topic and deflected a couple of times bringing up things that happened several years ago that weren't comparable during the same segment! 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Oh, Alyssa, don’t even try to do a gotcha with Hillary. She’s much smarter than you are. 

Oh No she di'n't!

Deets! I'm working today so won't be able to watch until tonight.

Yesterday, So not surprised that Alyssa wouldn't come out and admit the Fascist for being a Fascist. She called him a "semi-fascist."

Whut?

Loved Sunny schooling her on those who follow racists, bigots, fascists, as being "complicit" and should not be given a pass.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Loved Sunny schooling her on those who follow racists, bigots, fascists, as being "complicit" and should not be given a pass.

A friend and I talked about this last night.  If you are supportive of someone who is a racist or bigot while saying you aren't a racist or bigot what you mean is racism and bigotry aren't a dealbreaker for you.   As Sunny said, complicit.  

• Love 17

Does it seem to anyone else that some people are pretty casual about the use of the word "hate" nowadays when talking about those who have opposing viewpoint? Chelsea Clinton seemed very comfortable labeling people as bigots and haters. Perhaps it is because I tend to be contrarian, but if someone is telling me how awful I am because I don't agree with them on everything then I am unlikely to agree with them in the future on anything. I'd like it better if the overall tone was more "unifying".

On another topic, I found it interesting to hear Hillary talk about staying in her marriage (in the clip from her show). I'm sure it was hard to decide to stay, but I don't think that the public has to know in detail what factored into that decision. I suspect that like most of us, Hillary thought she would do one thing hypothetically, but when facing reality, realized that she either couldn't or didn't want to follow that path. Either choice would be humbling, so you might as well do what works best for you and your partner.

• Love 5

I also had to 🙄🙄 at Alyssa as she pouted yesterday, when Whoopi was talking. She kept trying to interrupt, and Whoopi finally had to tell her to let her (Whoopi) finish. Then the camera stayed on Alyssa's face for five to six seconds, and her lips stuck out, pouting like a child.

And no, you twat! You are NOT a New Yorker! PUHLEAZE. As if living in New York* for a little over a month makes you a native.😒

*Says a New York born-but only raised for a year-then moved South-before moving back for two years in 2006-then returned to DMV area.

• Love 3

Alyssa was so much better when she was auditioning now that she has the job she is showing her true colors and I am just not a fan..

I am happy that the ladies are back. Joy looks fantastic as always, Sara is just gorgeous without even breaking a sweat.  Sunny is pretty as well but the blonde doesn't work for me.  Whoopie is Whoopie at least she no longer looks like she just got out bed. I remember a time when Whoopie used to look like a bag lady and the look of disgust on Baba Wawa used to have me rolling with laughter..

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’m not a fan of the new opening titles at all. Massive downgrade to the last ones which were great having a mix of stills and then footage of the co hosts which was really classy and nice. These ones feel like they were done on the cheap. 
Also annoys me that it ends on The View in small text and doesn’t end with the logo. It should! 

I do like they have made the set and backdrop graphics a bit warmer now they are out of their silver anniversary (25) 

Edited by AusTvWatcher
13 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I found it interesting to hear Hillary talk about staying in her marriage (in the clip from her show). I'm sure it was hard to decide to stay,

She may have been conflicted, but her political aspirations outweighed any conflict or embarrassment, so she stayed. Not that difficult.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Alyssa was so much better when she was auditioning now that she has the job she is showing her true colors and I am just not a fan..

I am happy that the ladies are back. Joy looks fantastic as always, Sara is just gorgeous without even breaking a sweat.  Sunny is pretty as well but the blonde doesn't work for me.  Whoopie is Whoopie at least she no longer looks like she just got out bed. I remember a time when Whoopie used to look like a bag lady and the look of disgust on Baba Wawa used to have me rolling with laughter..

i am ok with alyssa so far but that could change. anyone is better than the last sourpuss.

everyone looks lovely but that hairdo on sunny just is not flattering at all

• Like 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, cinsays said:

everyone looks lovely but that hairdo on sunny just is not flattering at all

I haven't seen today's show, but if you are talking about yesterday's show, I agree. It looked kind of droopy, even with the curls. I don't always like some of Sunny's more elaborate hair styles, but just leaving her hair down didn't look great either.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I haven't seen today's show, but if you are talking about yesterday's show, I agree. It looked kind of droopy, even with the curls. I don't always like some of Sunny's more elaborate hair styles, but just leaving her hair down didn't look great either.

I think it is the center part. It just doesn’t look good on her. It’s too flat on top and her roots show. She looked better with the side part. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2