Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/5/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

That is Sunny's viewpoint and she has the right to express it.  Nothing good came out of colonization and we should not whitewash history simply because it makes people uncomfortable.  

I agree no good came of colonization, but Sunny should be able to understand why people can have a profound attachment to a problematic institution, since she belongs to one with a long history of thieving, raping, land-grabbing and colonizing:  The Catholic Church.  (I say that as someone raised Catholic.)  And the crimes continue today; nuns raped by priests forced to undergo abortions, the recently discovered mass graves of First Nations residential schoolchildren, and of course, the endless sex crimes; the endless brutal pedophilia, the perps protected by the Church herself.  And yet, even with that evil history,  I doubt Sunny would defend someone tweeting: "I heard the chief prelate of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying.  May his pain be excruciating.”  

I found it such a frustrating segment - there's an interesting discussion to be had about what the monarchy needs to do moving forward,  but this was not it. 

eta to make it shorter!

Edited by film noire
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Sunny's ancestors probably included Spanish colonizers, rapists and dehumanizers as well as their victims. How does she deal with this conflict running through her veins?

By portraying herself as African-American when it suits her, portraying herself as Latina when it suits her, the wife/mother of Haitian-Americans when it suits her, etc...

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Was it just me or did anyone else think Ana was actually rude to Charlie Crist in her angry aggressiveness today? I think her questions were valid but not her attitude.

She surprised me by coming out swinging so hard.  Her tone was a bit abrasive but the questions needed to be asked.  Crist's record of contradicting himself depending on the situation reeks of disingenuousness.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, OhSarah69 said:

How are we liking the new chairs?  The ones they replaced because everyone (ok, maybe just Joy) kept falling off?  These new ones don't look super-comfortable either.  I guess they can't use regular chairs as everyone would appear all squashed down.

To be honest I think they could have done better. We have similar ones at the breakfast bar at work. They are really bad posture wise and I feel getting off them is more of a hazard than the swivel ones they had. In saying that those swivel ones dated back to 2014 when they had the “window” set in the old studio. They were blue and they recovered them when they moved to the new studio after the 5 times they changed it until they got the new set right after the first one was awful (when Rosie rejoined). 

• Useful 2

I always get the feeling when Sunny is ranting about cheating men that it’s a not-so-subtle public reminder to Manny (and every woman in a 100 miles radius of him) to stay in his lane. While everyone agrees cheating is wrong, she really really gets bent out of shape about it which is strange when it’s often about people they don’t even know!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mispickel said:

By portraying herself as African-American when it suits her, portraying herself as Latina when it suits her, the wife/mother of Haitian-Americans when it suits her, etc...

I don't understand your point and what you are trying to insinuate. She is not portraying anything, she is an amalgamation of different ethnicities.  After all is sad and done, Sunny is a Black woman point blank period.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, film noire said:

I found it such a frustrating segment - there's an interesting discussion to be had about what the monarchy needs to do moving forward,  but this was not it. 

That is a good point. This isn't the only time that the View had an opportunity to discuss a topic with some nuance and didn't do it. Sometimes, though, that can lead to more interesting things later. When Whoopi stepped in it earlier this year (and got suspended for it), it resulted in a later show where more useful information was provided and a more measured discussion was had. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, deirdra said:

Sunny's ancestors probably included Spanish colonizers, rapists and dehumanizers as well as their victims. How does she deal with this conflict running through her veins?

So what? I see no conflict at all since most Black people in the diaspora whose ancestors were enslaved have colonizers in their ancestry via rape, it is why there are so many shades of Black people with different hair textures and features.  So by your logic we should be okay with what the colonizers did to our ancestors. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AusTvWatcher said:

To be honest I think they could have done better. We have similar ones at the breakfast bar at work. They are really bad posture wise and I feel getting off them is more of a hazard than the swivel ones they had. In saying that those swivel ones dated back to 2014 when they had the “window” set in the old studio. They were blue and they recovered them when they moved to the new studio after the 5 times they changed it until they got the new set right after the first one was awful (when Rosie rejoined). 

i don't know why sunny or whoopi could not have insisted that they get regular height chairs.

lower the table if they feel that would then be necessary.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ana did mention her interview with Crist on Twitter: 

I’ve known @CharlieCrist decades. Was disappointed w/him as Governor & criticized him harshly. Today, he did what

@GovRonDeSantis is unwilling to do, showed-up & answered tough questions. Every candidate should do this- not just show up in friendly places for softball interviews.

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, mispickel said:

She is all these things though, it's not like she's faking her identity...? There's also her grandfather who was Jewish that she's brought up on the show before.

Btw, I don't know if anyone else might've seen it, but Sunny Hostin had a video appearance encouraging Notre Dame on College Bowl (a game show where students compete for scholarships, I believe) last night.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Pearson80 said:

So what? 

My point was that Sunny never mentions the Spanish colonizers who were far worse than the British in their treatment and genocide of Caribbean, South & Central American indigenous peoples.