Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, SHD said:

There were definitely some easier questions but I think maybe you have a high intellect if you did that well! Categories like the one where you have to give a specific year are always stumpers for me.

I was stumped by most of the years, except for 1929 (Black Friday sticks in my mind for some reason), and 67.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I instagot the TS of 1967 (in 1967 I was 14).
Sam would've gotten it.

I'm slightly younger, but since we were stationed only a 15 minutes by air from Cairo, and there was some question about whether the families would be evacuated (we were in Turkey), it was a pivotal moment in my life. Though sometimes I forget if it was a Six Day war, or a Seven Day war.

FJ was an instaget. The mister said "is it the obvious one" I said yes, but his obvious one was Fiddler and mine was West Side Story. He keyed to the religion, and I keyed to the rival groups.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Instaget FJ for me for Tuesday's game.  It came to me so quickly, I was sure I had to be wrong!  And after the TOC, I fully expect to be wrong for FJ.  Total surprise when Ken revealed the correct response and I was right!

I also got the TS of cavy, 1967, and coy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:

First thing for me was The Fantasticks just because I've been Pavlov trained (or Jeopardy trained) that long running Broadway show = Fantasticks, I don't know anything about the play itself and figured it probably didn't have anything to do with Catholic/Jewish but WSS never came to me at all.

But The Fantasticks was never on Broadway. It was in the Sullivan Street Theater in the South Village.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

70% / 70% / 70%

A very even game tonight.

In J! I ran Shared Last Names, missed one in Paris and Degrees, two in Lose a Letter and 20th Century, and three in Loud.

In DJ I ran Dickens (hopefully Dr. Martin who taught my Dickens class is proud) and Disney, missed one Notable African American, two Translators and Opera, and four Bible Towns.

For FJ my immediate thought was Plymouth Rock, then I wondered if that was the name of the harbor, thought Massachusetts Bay and Boston, and went back to Plymouth.

My only TS were Muddy Waters (DD), book cover.

Yet another Bible category plus another Bible-related question in another category…

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

For FJ my immediate thought was Plymouth Rock, then I wondered if that was the name of the harbor,

Ditto.  Since I didn't think it was a harbor so much as a rock I switched to Jamestown.

I did get the missed DD of Muddy Waters and the ts of pearl/peal.

I was really pulling for John but it was not to be. 

Edited by Trey
  • Like 4

I got FJ.  Briefly considered adding rock to it, but then knew that was just the rock, not th eharbor.

I got the missed clues of Muddy Waters and cover.

I got the entire category of 20th century right.

I had a great night.  I didn't un any  DJ categories, but I mostly only missed one each and not always the $2K clue.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me again tonight!  I knew it wasn't Jamestown (those ships were the Susan Constant, the Godspeed, and the Discovery), and also figured they'd go with some Thanksgiving-themed response.

I only got two missed clues -- Muddy Waters and the book cover.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
49 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

My Pavlov response didn't care.

The clue also didn't specify Broadway, so your gut is in the clear.

I like Cris and he plays well so I don't want to begrudge him his runaway games but I will get bored if it's a runaway every day. I did like both Katy and John but they fell too far behind. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Undermined by aggressive autocorrect
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But The Fantasticks was never on Broadway. It was in the Sullivan Street Theater in the South Village.

I didn't know this. It was the first production I thought of because of the length of time it ran. Wasn't there a song from The Fantasticks that was a big hit? 

• Applause 1
34 minutes ago, Driad said:

Were this week's non-ToC games filmed before or after the ToC?  That is, did they know how many days the ToC would last?

After. The last TOC game (Monday) was filmed on September 22. The next two games (Tues-Wed) were filmed October 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Well, Monday for FJ I said "the play Lincoln was watching when he was shot" and today I said "the place the Mayflower landed". My brain is not doing well at pulling out the correct details this week. Yesterday I said Fiddler on the Roof.

I have to say, I'm not as attached to Cris as I normally am to long running champs by this point. Nothing against him at all, just not attached.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me again tonight!  I knew it wasn't Jamestown (those ships were the Susan Constant, the Godspeed, and the Discovery), and also figured they'd go with some Thanksgiving-themed response.

I only got two missed clues -- Muddy Waters and the book cover.

The Patience and the Deliverance were the ships that arrived at Jamestowne after the Sea Venture was wrecked in Bermuda and arrived in 1610, after the Starving Time, a period when food was scarce. The Colonists were about to give up when the ships with supplies and people arrived. So I figured it had to be Plymouth, but I wasn't certain that was the name of the harbor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, NoReally said:

Thanks for that!

As God is my witness, I didn't know Jerry Orbach could sing.  (Happy Thanksgiving!)

I knew he could sing but I always knew him from Law & Order so I haven't seen much of him doing it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, Monday for FJ I said "the play Lincoln was watching when he was shot" and today I said "the place the Mayflower landed". My brain is not doing well at pulling out the correct details this week. Yesterday I said Fiddler on the Roof.

I went the same way as you with the play Lincoln was watching and the place the Mayflower landed but I did get West Side Story as sometimes knowing very little about musical theater helps, it was the only one I knew with a couple as described even though I presumed it was wrong if I knew it but I had nothing else.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, NoReally said:

Thanks for that!

As God is my witness, I didn't know Jerry Orbach could sing.  (Happy Thanksgiving!)

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I knew he could sing but I always knew him from Law & Order so I haven't seen much of him doing it.

He was the voice of Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast. He sings Be Our Guest.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I have to say, I'm not as attached to Cris as I normally am to long running champs by this point. Nothing against him at all, just not attached.

I am digging his very quiet, very dry sense of humour. But I am taking it day by day deciding whom to root for. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I had a good night. Ran a few categories, got some of the triple stumpers, and got FJ.

I said Plymouth immediately - but more because I have a tendency to forget that Jamestown existed at that time.

I absolutely believe translators should be on the cover. A translator has to be a writer as well. I've read both great translations, and bad translations. As an American kid in a German school, I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (translated from English into German - better than the original) and Kafka's Metamorphosis in German (better than the translated version. There is an art to translation, and the translator is very important.

• Love 14

I guess I am the only one who totally forgot Thanksgiving and, therefore, the Clue Crew would use that as a FJ reference. Instead, I was thinking of shiploads of convicts being unloaded in Australia with no food to feed the prisoners already there. The pilgrims were nowhere in my thinking. I was 100-percent in the Land of Oz.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I've seen a lot of criticism for WSS leaning on stereotypes about people of color being in gangs, and I'm trying to re-imagine the show leaning on stereotypes about Jews and Catholics. 

Did Sondheim leave us a first draft of the music?

Leonard Bernstein did the music and Sondheim the lyrics. I believe the Jewish/Catholic concept was part of Jerome Robbins' original conception which had already changed to the gang rivalry by the time Sondheim was involved. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess I am the only one who totally forgot Thanksgiving and, therefore, the Clue Crew would use that as a FJ reference. Instead, I was thinking of shiploads of convicts being unloaded in Australia with no food to feed the prisoners already there. The pilgrims were nowhere in my thinking. I was 100-percent in the Land of Oz.

I considered Australia too before I moved to the US.  A Thanksgiving connection didn't occur to me either even though I know today is American Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving, neighbours to the south! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I’m really surprised so many here had such a problem getting the West Side Story FJ.

It came to me easily as not too long ago there were several entertainment-news tv stories about how it would be the longest-running musical. So three cheers for watching a lot of fluff tv (and TMZ).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I looked at TJF and indeed, there is a new regular episode today. Just not here, even in the wee hours. But thanks to TJF, I know the results, I just won't get to view them. Football beats Jeopardy I guess, at least in the Midwest.

• Sad 4

I am a huge Olga Tokarczuk fan, probably because of the brilliant translations by Jennifer Croft.  Her name is (deservedly) on the cover.  

Cris seems nice enough, and he's definitely smart, but I find myself rooting for his opponents. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I said Tuskegee because it was the first southern college I thought of and I had no idea.

I got the missed clue of the Lions and metabolic.

I got the entire category of car accessories right and the entire ctegoy of Oscars wrong (can't believe I didn't get Forrest Gump).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No Jeopardy here today, Thanksgiving. Anyone having an episode or do we all skip a day?

I wasn't home, but I just watched on youtube.

In J! I ran Car Accessories, missed one Campaign Slogan, three actors, and two in everything else. In DJ I missed four Double-T Words and 2-3 in everything else. No clue for FJ.

My TSes were Eisenhower, Einstein, and metabolic rate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Was it as bad as this back when James was the winner every night? I didn't watch then as I don't enjoy someone winning every game for weeks on end (well...Amy is the exception, and Sam too 🤗). 

I thought a lot of Matt's wins were runaways, to the point where I started rooting against him. Curious if anyone has statistics on who holds the record for the biggest percentage of runaway games.

I'm wondering if "axiom" would have been an acceptable alternative answer for the "adage" DD.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't follow college sports and couldn't find another "in" to the FJ clue, so I was reduced to listing southern colleges hoping an auto manufacturer would come up. Hmmmm. William & Mary...Sewanee...Florida A&M...Oldsmobile U...no such luck! ;)

I was sort of looking forward to feeling of being "back to normal" after the near-month of tournaments, but in a way it seems like it's not, because we still have a champion of unusual dominance.  For me it's not quite good or bad, it just is.

I kind of wish the host wouldn't make pointed comments about how a player could / should wager.  It seems it could put a thumb on the scale, however light or inadvertent, and I imagine it would annoy me if I was up there onstage just trying to think.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

I guessed Georgia Tech just because I couldn't think of Clemson (even though I had no real reason to pick that either) so yay! also got Eisenhower, which, I never get the President clues so another yay for me!

• Applause 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought a lot of Matt's wins were runaways, to the point where I started rooting against him. Curious if anyone has statistics on who holds the record for the biggest percentage of runaway games.

Of the 10 contestants with the longest streaks, here is how many of their regular season wins were runaways:

1. James Holzhauer - 90.6% (29/32)
  2. Ken Jennings - 87.8% (65/74)
  3. Amy Schneider - 87.5% (35/40)
  4. Cris Panullo - 85.7% (12/14)
  5. Matt Amodio - 84.2% (32/38)
  6. Jason Zuffranieri - 73.7% (14/19)
  7. Julia Collins - 60% (12/20)
  8. David Madden - 57.9% (11/19)
  9. Mattea Roach - 52.2% (12/23)
  10. Ryan Long - 37.5% (6/16)
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 7