Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: Last Sip Single

• Start Topic

Kara and Guillermo tie the knot. Thais' uncertainty deepens in snowy Massachusetts. Emily discovers Kobe is looking at the future differently. Shaeeda gets unexpected advice from Bilal's mother. Mohamed makes a big move. Jibri and Miona move out.

First Look: 22/7/22; TLC: 24/7/22; Discovery +: 24/7/22

• Love 1

So Emily is upset that Kobe told his BFF that she was preggers. And she is not all that happy that Kobe may want to move to a bigger city. I get it.  He may want to be around more black people, including those from Africa so he isn't so lonely and out of place. And not in some rural area with limited job opportunities. 

Bilal's mom comes to talk to Shaeeda about stuff in general, including the pre-nush. Shaeeda, listen, but realize his mom may not have your interests at heart. She cares about her son and will say pretty much anything. Yeah, I am a cynical sort. Most people have been hurt in relationships. We take out our broom and dustpan and sweep up the mess. Some of us also go to counselling and seek help regarding our pain and learn valuable tools to help ourselves. Bilal is responsible for himself.

Mo calls up his mom and does not get the earful of validation that he sought. Poor little Mo not getting to be the 'man'. Mom takes Yve's side, defends her lifestyle, and tells him to adjust to life in the new land. He is not in Egypt any more. I'd guess that if Mom got to move to the US, she also would wear other clothing.

• Like 3
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

And not in some rural area with limited job opportunities

especially for underwear modeling which, as far as we know, is Kobe’s only job skill

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Mother Bile's speech was completely self-serving and obnoxious as her son.  She can cite religious tenet about the man's being the head of household, but conveniently ignores his duty to provide for the expenses of the family, including the expenses of his spouse, which is the right of the wife.  That would include her branding and yoga studio. Yet again, another person has to remind Shaeda and the audience that Bile was so hurt in previous relationships.  That didn't stop him from enlisting his ex-wife in the pre-nush push.  He should seek therapy.

A few interesting points: Bile is not the only son; the father is deceased (but Bile's real estate empire is in the father's name); Shaeda was allowed to use flame and scents in the model home; Bile asked his mother to talk to Shaeda.  He's such a coward that he has sent all his female relatives to deal with Shaeda and the pre-nush.

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

Mother Bile's speech was completely self-serving and obnoxious as her son. 

Definitely this. You can see very clearly where he got his penchant for churning out word salad by the metric ton and saying absolutely nothing. I hope Shaeeda was pretending to be enlightened just to be polite to the old lady, but she seems determined to go ahead with marrying into this family of overconfident fools, so who knows.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

I really need people to weigh in on mother Patrick.  Why do people feel the need to dictate their kid's lives?  "My grandchild will be brought up in AMERICA!"  Maybe, maybe not.  If i were Thais I would get pregnant and move to brazil just to annoy her. 

Temperature is getting a lot of mixed reviews, but i like him.  Why can't ANYONE tell Emily to shut up, listen and compromise?

• Applause 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Temperature is only part of the problem.  I have lost mad respect for Kobe.  Clearly Kobe no backbone. I think he knew, after telling Temperature how felt about Emily, that Temperature would butt in to take up for Kobe.  Temperature coming in hot when he first met her was inappropriate, especially in front of her parents.  The two of them speaking in their native tongue about her, right in front of her was obnoxious.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Emily treats Kobe like a child.  I wonder what she would do if he decided to leave. I really don’t believe she knows that it’s an option.

Thais need to go home if she is unsure of her feelings for Patrick.  She said that she will always put her father before Patrick, so I don’t think she should delay the inevitable.

I love how Shaeeda thinks she compromised, when all she did was capitulate.  The next thing he is going to do is dangle the green card and have her jumping through hoops.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Shmoopaloop said:

Am I the only one not buying the slip and fall Patrick’s sister is claiming? I hope Thais goes home. She seems miserable all the time and probably would be for the entirety of her marriage. 

I honestly thought her husband was abusive.  I guess that's uncharitable.  Boston has quite a reputation for tough guys, though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

Emily treats Kobe like a child.  I wonder what she would do if he decided to leave. I really don’t believe she knows that it’s an option.

Thais need to go home if she is unsure of her feelings for Patrick.  She said that she will always put her father before Patrick, so I don’t think she should delay the inevitable.

I love how Shaeeda thinks she compromised, when all she did was capitulate.  The next thing he is going to do is dangle the green card and have her jumping through hoops.  

These people obviously don't think period.  And anyone who goes into a marriage and doesn't put their spouse in first position usually doesn't make it. Thais seems immature and self centered, not sure she is ready for this at all.

• Applause 1

I missed the very Beginning of the conversation But Mother Bilal seemed very kind and wise when talking to Shaeeda about the prenuptial agreement. Did I miss something? She seems so nice and explained things so well based on age and wisdom. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

Am I the only one not buying the slip and fall Patrick’s sister is claiming? I hope Thais goes home. She seems miserable all the time and probably would be for the entirety of her marriage. 

The Rise and Fall of Family Patrick has to be the fastest in 90 Day history. During the live chat, we're all "hey, they seem nice!" "Aw, Patrick's mom!" "Wait, Sister Patrick seems so nice and normal, what the hell?" Mere MINUTES later, we're all seething "I'll black your other eye, bitch!". Kudos to the production team, I guess? Nice misdirection, guys. Take five. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 13
(edited)

Emily, Your man came to the U.S with only $4,000 in savings… Over $1,000 of those savings has already vanished, because you NEEDED a fancy ring. He’s not going anywhere, anytime soon. Don’t worry your little self, mommy & daddy will still be able to tuck you at night, & prepare themselves for a new day taking orders & financially supporting their 30 year old daughter & offspring.  

The freaking nerve, audacity she has with her Demanding Kobe & Thermometer not to speak their native language in front of her with her bitchy tone “ENGLISH PLEASE”

Thank god she lives in the middle of nowhere with low population, the less people that interact with her, the better.

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, Hellohappylife said:

The freaking nerve, audacity she has with her Demanding Kobe & Thermometer not to speak their native language in front of her with her bitchy tone “ENGLISH PLEASE”

Right? It was hella rude of Kobe and Temperature (that name!), but Emily's snotty tone as she barked out "English, please!" set my teeth on edge. She's an overbearing shrew.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, seasons said:

I missed the very Beginning of the conversation But Mother Bilal seemed very kind and wise when talking to Shaeeda about the prenuptial agreement. Did I miss something? She seems so nice and explained things so well based on age and wisdom. 

Well, "butter wouldn't melt" in Mother Bilal's smiling mouth when she was "counseling" Shaeeda, but I got the impression that she was just deflecting Shaeeda's concerns with some word salad and was 100% Team Bilal especially when she said that "it isn't important to always be right" (or something like that.) Meanwhile, it's okay that gas lighting Bilal is NEVER WRONG, insincere, arbitrary, and always has to get in the last word.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, judylo said:

Ha! Mo shot down by his mom!

Mother Mo has her eyes on the prize, that is, getting to America even if it means Mo has to pretend to go along with Yve's wishes for a while. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

Not through the ep yet but can I say Kara looked so glam on the wedding day! The dress was so nice on her though not something I'd pick for me. I loved the hair! Having that short,  straight hair, you'd think you can't do much with it but KUDOS to her hair stylist. I absolutely thought she looked great. "Going down the river in a kayak..." Guillermo and his analogy was so funny. 

I did see mother Bilal giving that talk to Shaida. Of course she will be on team Bilal!!! I see both sides of this coin. Bilal has ZERO passion for her. He's very cold.  I see protecting your assets especially if they're that plentiful & you have 2 kids who rely on you. As the child, I'd be suspect of any new woman in my father's life -nevermind the 90 day visa aspect & "call me 'mom'."  But...BUT wanting startup $$ upfront is not right. You can't demand $$ when you marry. It's assumed in their case & in the 90DF Visa that Bilal *is* responsible for Shaida when they marry.  As for startup $$, she can make herself. Once she gets a Greencard, she may take private clientele at her home studio, at a public place like a park or at the clients' homes. When you make your own startup capital from those jobs and a client base, THEN get the rental studio and whatever "brand" she is talking about. Nobody owes you a startup capital...sorry. The prenup can be negotiated back and forth to reasonable conditions. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Maybe mama Mo was tired of her man-child and is happier without him being a millstone around her neck.  Did he work in Egypt or was she supporting him?  She might be happy to have handed him off!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

Shaeeda is simply a business decision for him.  Don't marry someone for business reasons.  Also, I don't think that was Bile's mom.  I think it was him in a head dress!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 7/24/2022 at 9:14 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I really need people to weigh in on mother Patrick.  Why do people feel the need to dictate their kid's lives?  "My grandchild will be brought up in AMERICA!" 

Gah, she was terrible. Nothing she says would surprise me, we heard Patrick came from an abusive family. The mom's attitude and demeanor was very off-putting to me. Her glare, as well, and no, she doesn't get to dictate where her grandchild lives. I find a lot of the parents on this show (not all) are really over the top clueless people.

16 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

Am I the only one not buying the slip and fall Patrick’s sister is claiming?

I agree. She grew up in an abusive family, where I don't doubt (and maybe this was said, don't recall) there may very well have been physical abuse. She very well could be in a physically abusive relationship herself, given that. And then she goes on nationwide TV with a black eye. What was she thinking?  This is like normal stuff for her, I guess.  I like Patrick although he's controlling, but Theis needs to look at the background of the family she's looking to marry into. Personally, I would definitely give it a lot of thought. However, I think her dad made his intentions clear so I don't have to worry about that. She's pretty much gone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

Anyone else notice that Kara seems to schedule her entire life around her next drink? She's either an alcoholic or well on her way there.

Emily continues to be insufferable. I look up lots of stuff in my browser all the time. Doesn't mean I'm planning on doing it right away (or ever), and Emily had no right to freak out on Kobe for looking up apartment rents in another city.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Anyone else notice that Kara seems to schedule her entire life around her next drink? She's either an alcoholic or well on her way there.

Emily continues to be insufferable. I look up lots of stuff in my browser all the time. Doesn't mean I'm planning on doing it right away (or ever), and Emily had no right to freak out on Kobe for looking up apartment rents in another city.

Do they share an iPad?  If not he should not share his password.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

30 and blackout drunk is professional level.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Why would Kobe who appears to be living in hell on earth. Have sex, let alone unprotected sex with this insufferable slob? He has lost all sympathy from me. 

Exactly. He knew she was a shrew when he got there, but maybe this happened upon arrival, before he knew what a shrew she really was? But even so, use a damn condom, which is something a lot of African men eshew, unfortunately. Both kids are both of their faults. And she ought to try to compromise with him to make HIM happy. Literally nothing is about Kobe other than his sperm impregnating her. NOTHING. She doesn't care at all about his happiness and thinks it's perfectly okay for him to live in her parents basement. WTF?!

As brazen as Temperature is, he is 100 correct. And Kobe would be happier in a city with a large Cameroonian community, instead of being one of like 5 black people in Salinas, KS. I can see where this will go...At some point Temperature will hook up Kobe with a proper job, and Kobe will move to Ohio alone, and Father and Mother Shrew will be happy to see him go and wish Emily to go too, but will whine about not seeing their precious grandchildren, thus further enabling Shrew to live with them ad infinitum. Kobe will have zero rights to his own kids. It's a total shit show.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

She's an alcoholic.

She seemed ENRAGED, I figured he was chatting with another girl or something.  But no, he was looking at apartments.  Get a grip, Emily.  

Loved the horse behind Kobe, ear hustling!

45 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do they share an iPad?  If not he should not share his password.

Do you think he had a choice?

• Sad 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Breedom said:

Gah, she was terrible. Nothing she says would surprise me, we heard Patrick came from an abusive family. The mom's attitude and demeanor was very off-putting to me. Her glare, as well, and no, she doesn't get to dictate where her grandchild lives.

I'm sorry his mother is dying but meeting her should be a huge red flag to Thais. She came off as mean, nasty, small-minded and "it's my way or the highway." Hardly the person to give marital advice after chalking up four ex-husbands. I can understand why Patrick has been out of touch with her for a long time and maybe just now reconnecting because she's guilted him into it.  John not going on the trip also makes me wonder if there's still bad blood between him and his mother. Tiffany seems to be the only one who stuck around Boston and may be a younger version of her mother. The only likeable sibling we have met seems to be Matthew, the baby of the family. It wouldn't surprise me if he's estranged from his mother due to his being in a same sex marriage. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

Someone socked the bitch, probably from asking too many personal questions. 

I agree that Kara is a drunk.  She was already tipsy walking down the aisle.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I'm sorry his mother is dying but meeting her should be a huge red flag to Thais. She came off as mean, nasty, small-minded and "it's my way or the highway." Hardly the person to give marital advice after chalking up four ex-husbands. I can understand why Patrick has been out of touch with her for a long time and maybe just now reconnecting because she's guilted him into it.  John not going on the trip also makes me wonder if there's still bad blood between him and his mother. Tiffany seems to be the only one who stuck around Boston and may be a younger version of her mother. The only likeable sibling we have met seems to be Matthew, the baby of the family. It wouldn't surprise me if he's estranged from his mother due to his being in a same sex marriage. 

If you're dying, you'd think one would try their best to be kind and thoughtful to their loved ones. This hag garners no sympathy from me. She will be dead before, and if, Thais has a baby.  She's a blowhard running low on oxygen (I did a funny. I have morbid humor)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Wollstonecraft said:

She's a blowhard running low on oxygen (I did a funny. I have morbid humor)

I can picture her in a corner of the neighborhood "bahr" pounding back Sam Adam's and expounding on the world's problems while hooked up to her oxygen canister. 

edited to add: with her makeup smeared all over her face

Edited by magemaud
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6

Yikes, that Female Birth Vessel who pushed Patrick out of her body is horrid.

Sometimes, the best thing someone can do for their own mental health is to remove these people from their lives.

Flat-faced Patrick likely was guilted into seeing her.  

She & her nasty daughter, who was sporting a fat lip in addition to her bloodshot eye (ice fall, yeah right) probably just wanted to be on camera.

And what's with the "female family friend" who had to put her 2 cents in?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I can picture her in a corner of the neighborhood "bahr" pounding back Sam Adam's and expounding on the world's problems while hooked up to her oxygen canister. 

How many medical problems does she have?  Schizophrenia and lung cancer and whatever requires the motorized scooter?

• Love 2

Don’t much care for Thais or Patrick however between Patrick’s mother and sister she can’t get out of there fast enough.  This is some scary crew.  Run Thais, run!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's nice Kobe is looking for a place to move that should have a bigger job market, and more diversity.   However, how does he think he'll afford an apartment?    1 bedroom with 2 adults, and 2 little kids doesn't work, and the money they have won't cover initial costs for an apartment, and he has no job history or finances in the U.S..  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

How many medical problems does she have?  Schizophrenia and lung cancer and whatever requires the motorized scooter?

The scooter’s sole purpose is shlepping those eyebrows around.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, RedLA said:

The scooter’s sole purpose is shlepping those eyebrows around.

I think I may have figured it out.  Sometimes people with oxygen issues get winded after a few steps.  So maybe it is related to the cancer.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

Well, "butter wouldn't melt" in Mother Bilal's smiling mouth when she was "counseling" Shaeeda, but I got the impression that she was just deflecting Shaeeda's concerns with some word salad and was 100% Team Bilal especially when she said that "it isn't important to always be right" (or something like that.) Meanwhile, it's okay that gas lighting Bilal is NEVER WRONG, insincere, arbitrary, and always has to get in the last word.

To add to @magemaud's interpretation, and because it can't be said enough how despicable Bile is. . .

Ex-wife Bilal and Mother Bilal were the one-two punch or bad cop-good cop to gaslight Shaeeda into signing his pre-nup.  Ex-wife said, "You're not siphoning a penny of the generational wealth due to his children.  I am their mother.  (And you will not have any additional children, if he and I have our way!)"  Mother Bilal said, "Our faith tells you to obey your man.  Stop being a right-fighter."

Shaeeda said that she was looking for advice ten days before their wedding.  Maybe that alone is sufficient for duress to void the pre-nush.  Mother Bilal said that Bile relayed that Shaeeda wanted to speak to her.  Maybe that was just his interpretation that Shaeda needs to speak to his mother, since Shaeeda's "hens" and attorney were adamantly against her signing the pre-nush - the exact advice that Bile wouldn't want her to follow.  He obviously rejected her requests to modify the terms.

Shaeeda flattered Mother Bilal, "I want a lifelong marriage just like yours."  Mother Bilal condescended, with the non-response, "You're on the right path when you realize that marriage is not perfect.  It's two imperfect human beings. . ."  That is just like Bile's interruption last week: "You infactuacte.  There are no fairytales."  

Shaeeda said to Mother Bilal, "When you're married, you don't look at your partner like a suspect."  Mother Bilal answered, "I assume that you're talking about the pre-nush."  She even air-quoted "talking about," just like her son.  Then, she said, "When it comes to an agreement, Allah says to put it in writing."  Shaeeda and Bile already had Allah's agreement in writing, since they are already spiritually married. 

That didn't stop Mother Bilal from bloviating in her fake-non-judgmental interpretation of trust to lead into the 9-millionth reminder that poor Bile has been irreparably hurt every time he ever opened his heart, to tell Shaeeda that she is lucky to have "a good man," "who just wants peace and comfort," (as if Shaeeda is the unique source of his unrest and pain) and to sign the pre-nush.  She even accused Shaeeda of triggering Bile and implied that she was castrating him.  

If anything, Mother Bilal should have minded her own business or lectured her own son, whom she claimed she taught "to be strong, yet tender," born leader, instead of allowing him to hide behind her, his sister, his ex-wife, and everyone else, including Allah.

All that to say, @Opine was right: Shaeeda had that conversation with Bile in a headdress.  Even in disguise, he's reprehensible.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Have we ever been told why Bilal’s first two marriages failed?  I do know what the common denominator is.  

When you’re stuck in such a dismal existence of a marriage. I imagine you have two choices, suicide or divorce?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Newbie poster, longtime lurker! You guys are amazing & I love reading your comments & snark!

Did we know that Patrick had been married before, and why it ended?  

Where is Yve’s son? Seems like he isn’t with her very often?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, DeweyDexter said:

Newbie poster, longtime lurker! You guys are amazing & I love reading your comments & snark!

Did we know that Patrick had been married before, and why it ended?  

Where is Yve’s son? Seems like he isn’t with her very often?

I think Patrick just said they grew apart.  I also think she was a bodybuilder so maybe after he got caught juicing twice she didn’t want to be associated with him.  Yve’s son’s father shares custody I believe so sometimes he is with him.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Kara and Guillermo: The tipsy bride. Surprised she managed to make it from the party the night before. She can clean up nicely. The dress was beautiful on her. She did need a necklace. The hair was beautiful until it seemed a front chunk did its own thing. She is lucky to get a nice guy like Guillermo. Maybe the drinking will stop at some point. They did manage to come up with a beautiful day.

Miona and Jibri: She is happy to be getting out of the South Dakota prison and onwards to warmer climes. For folks who have no money or jobs, how do they have so much stuff and the money to go to the Joshua Tree National Park and a rental? Jibby sold some of his things? Where did they find the matching hot pink jackets? I do get the parents calling them out on the immaturity but I do think that they will probably show up for the wedding.

Emily and Kobe: So Temperature knows her secret! Her fiance isn't allowed to have a friend? Life in the downstairs dungeon can't be that great? How does Kobe's search on the iPad just magically appear? You do have a code or use a fingerprint. So what if he looked at the price of apartments in Ohio? I look up things I won't buy all the time! Ems, you may want to consider moving out of your parents' home and learn to live independently. Kobe may prefer to live in a more multicultural city. He will have friends there, maybe a few Cameroon restaurants, etc.

Thais and Patrick: So we got the suitcase fakeout. Thais was packing for a trip to meet Patrick's family in Boston. Yeah, it is cold there in winter. I wasn't expecting his mom to be as she is. I can see why the family keeps its distance. Felt bad that his mom is terminally ill, but her behavior was a bit to be desired. His sister wasn't much better. Not sure I bought her falling on the ice story. My fall on the ice next to my car somehow made me clonk my head by the tire/wheel well and well, once I got past the sight of my own black eye, I had a good laugh at myself. Patrick's family is a bit toxic. Why does Thais love Patrick? Why does he love her? Not for her kindness, personality, empathy, compassion, passion, talents, etc. And vice versa. The looks will run out and they will fizzle and they will wonder why they are together.

Yve and Mohamed: Not even his mom will validate him and his need for control. Suck it up sunshine and get used to your new environment, new clothing and a modern Western wife. Don't come back to Egypt. Keep the eye on the prize and the Green Card so I can come for a 6 month visit! Mo surprises her with a romantic proposal - don't know if it is a form of scammy lovebombing but it worked. Things are on the mend and the paperwork awaits.

Shaeeda and Bilal: So now he hauls out the heavy artillery of Mom. Good cop/bad cop. She speaks from experience and dealing with men like her son. He's been hurt in relationships. Counselling may have helped him but no - just find a new wife and hopefully someone foreign. Shaeeda, it is time for setting and enforcing healthy boundaries and not having the Bilal family walk all over you. Get a job at a yoga studio and work toward coming up with your own money to start your own studio. Do not rely on him for anything. You will not see a dime back. Also, please find some people to be friends who have your back and don't try to gaslight you and feed you crap. You will start to believe it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Yve and Mohamed: Not even his mom will validate him and his need for control. Suck it up sunshine and get used to your new environment, new clothing and a modern Western wife. Don't come back to Egypt. Keep the eye on the prize and the Green Card so I can come for a 6 month visit! Mo surprises her with a romantic proposal - don't know if it is a form of scammy lovebombing but it worked. Things are on the mend and the paperwork awaits.

In the hookah bar section, no less.  Yve does want a storybook romance.  You can call it lovebombing.  I'd agree it was manipulative, and I'm extremely skeptical of his sudden acceptance of her make it up as you go along paganism, but maybe the rest here are right, and it's simply about the green card.

• Like 1
  • Love 3