Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: So Ready in SoCal

• Start Topic

It's crunch time for ten brave San Diegans, who have only two weeks to prepare before they meet their stranger spouses at the altar.  For one, a family member's disapproval could create an irreparable rift.  And on the big day, an emotionally-guarded bride becomes a puddle of tears.

Airs Wednesday July 6 at 8:00 PM EDT.

(edited)

I hope for at least two weddings tonight.  Too much about each one of them.  Just get to it.  Didn’t like the Brother who wasn’t supporting Justin.  Not right.  He should be happy for him for trying.  I really like Alexis for Justin.  Good match.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 5
(edited)

Things I don't need to hear anymore:

Justin - I don't need to hear about women wanting to know if you're packin'

Alexis - I don't need to hear about you being proposed to three times

Edited by Crashcourse
Got the names mixed up - Justin, not Nate
  • Applause 3
  • Love 14

I have no problem with Justin‘s brother.  As he said, he is worried that Justin won’t recover if it doesn’t work.  After all, Justin is crying just because his brother isn’t thrilled  he’s marrying a stranger.  How is Justin going to react if she says no on decision day? 
In addition, isn’t Justin’s brothers reaction the same as our would be if our sibling was on this show? 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

A couple of these people belong on the Unmatchables spin-off. 

I was okay with Justin's brother until he started with the prison analogies. 

The women all appear athletic, why do they meet in a restaurant while the guys play sports?

Edited by bref
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Alexis,  Stacia, Morgan, Krysten and Miguel, please go home! You all are wasting your time. 

Binh's friend Kyle, is who Justin thinks he is. Nothing about Justin says "I'm secure in who I am."

Edited by spunky
  • Love 6

I’m on the fence about watching this new season. Last season was just so needlessly long and terrible and stupid and repetitious and did I mention stupid? I regret wasting all those hours of my life. And the experts don’t have clue, but that’s old news.

• Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So mascara isn't enough anymore?  I'm so sick of fake eyelashes.

I can’t wear them often because all of them irritate my eyes, but I did wear them for my wedding and they look amazing in photos. I don’t like it when they are super overdone (my lashes are long enough but very light), but you can get some that aren’t really super thick and fake looking.

I have to say that I’m not really loving this cast. I liked them all better before tonight. 

Also, I don’t like Alexis’s dress but I LOVE her hair comb and her makeup.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 4
(edited)

That's quite the MOB dress on Alexis' mama.

@Elizzikra, this is my first exposure to them. What is different from your first impression?

@Auntie Anxiety, i'm watching tonight to get to know the cast of characters, but I have no intention of watching every minute of the season. Lifetime seems determined to kill the golden goose via overexposure.

Edited by bref
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, bref said:

That's quite the MOB dress on Alexis' mama.

@Elizzikra, this is my first exposure to them. What is different from your first impression?

@Auntie Anxiety, i'm watching tonight to get to know the cast of characters, but I have no intention of watching every minute of the season. Lifetime seems determined to kill the golden goose via overexposure.

I’m not necessarily sure they are different; maybe we’re just getting to know them better? I thought Nate was a complete ass at the bachelor party (I think it was Nate? The one who told the stripper to get on her knees)? I think Lindy is sort of emerging as this season’s crazy mess and we started to see a bit of that when her friends talked about how she needed an emotionally stable guy to deal with her; also when she wouldn’t stop talking at the bachelor party. Binh would drive me nuts with his frugality; I think it’s great that he wants to retire early but he lost me totally when he said he won’t run the heat or air conditioning or do laundry during peak hours (electricity costs more then, I suppose)? Also, it’s nice that he is close to his mom but I have this feeling that no other woman will ever measure up to her saintly presence. His wife (whose name I can’t remember, but she’s a nurse) has always sort of rubbed me the wrong way though I can’t put my finger on why. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Alexis and Justin look like a real life Jack Sprat and his wife.

Right off the bat, Alexis criticizes Justin for doing high fives, which she tells him she finds corny.

Wow, rein it in, girl.  You've got the rest of your life to criticize him.  Or actually, the way these weddings go, you probably don't.  

Edited by rebel2u
I can't spell
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

Wow, reign it in, girl.  You've got the rest of your life to criticize him.  Or actually, the way these weddings go, you probably don't.  

Maybe not the rest of her life but she has 8 weeks. She can give him a minute to grab a drink at the reception before she starts listing all his shortcomings. Also I'd like it if she could dial down the wild cackle laugh. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Also, I don’t like Alexis’s dress but I LOVE her hair comb and her makeup.

That dress was horrid.  It looked like she was wearing nursing pads over her boobs.  Other than that, I thought she looked really pretty.  Her hair was so classic and reminded me of Princess Tiana.  That cackle laugh has to go - I’ll hope it’s just nerves though.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

Alexis and Justin look like a real life Jack Sprat and his wife.

She's a pretty woman, very tall, but she's super curvy/largish. Justin is super tall but very thin. I was worried that he wouldn't be attracted to her, but was wrong. He seems enamored and thinks she's gorgeous. She, otoh,is not attracted to him physically as he's not her type. I always feel so bad in these situations.  

• Sad 2
  • Love 3

Wow, Lindy sure had me fooled. She seemed so normal, initially, but wow, she's really hyper, and excessively chatty. Curious to know where she's originally from as she said there was only one other person in her graduating class. Are 7th Day Adventists anything like Jehovah's Witnesses? My son had an elementary school classmate who had to leave the classroom anytime students had birthday parties in class. The parents would bring in goodies for their child. No attendance at Halloween parties either. I can't imagine not being able to dance. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I found myself hoping this first couple makes it based on how they were vibing during and after the wedding. It seemed like a genuine, natural flirtation and some commonality. I think this is a situation where if the woman will let herself get over the dude's looks, she might end up with a guy who adores her and would treat her well.  Time will tell though.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

She's a pretty woman, very tall, but she's super curvy/largish. Justin is super tall but very thin. I was worried that he wouldn't be attracted to her, but was wrong. He seems enamored and thinks she's gorgeous. She, otoh,is not attracted to him physically as he's not her type. I always feel so bad in these situations.  

Yes, but unlike Alyssa, Alexis seems willing to follow the ‘process’.  And she enjoys his company 

• Love 2
(edited)

When I heard 3 hours, I thought no 🤬 way. But, I was getting my hair braided, so... here I am.

I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of family involvement & family backstories in this group. You can't pick your family, but it does affect who you are. Plus, marriage involves joining families. This gone be A Mess... (My personal experience visiting San Diego: a lot of military, a lot of transplants & a lot of inter-racial relationships. I found it curious that the show made no mention of these things at all when it's... kind of evident just looking at the group.)

Binh is a nice person, but his pathological cheapness frugality makes him an unmatchable. He cannot possibly expect to meet another person with the same point of view. His apartment looked like a monastery.

Nate is a huge question mark for me. On the one hand, his female friends of ~a year adore him; on the other hand, he was disrespectful to the dancer at the bachelor party. His family & background are a mystery: just 1 childhood photo with a younger sibling with a much lighter complexion. Hopefully, some family will turn up for his wedding.

Miguel is an interesting guy. Dressing in costumes with his friends was odd to me: Meh. Some people do it & it's harmless. His poem was soo cringe-worthy. 

Alexis was giving me Amazon warrior playing football with her guy friends & I was here for it! Full glam & curves--- she has an arm! & the way she caught that ball with her fingertips!? Yasss! She has a brutally honest quality that is great for tv, maybe not so great in relationships. I fell in love with her self confidence & her sense of self worth. (Living in a world that may not value her beauty--- remember how Piece of 💩 Chris messed over that poor girl in the Atlanta season!? Okay!? Before anyone criticizes her confidence, please take a moment to try to understand her point of view.) 

Justin seems like such a sweet heart.

I'm surprised the Seventh-day Adventist did not marry within her church.

Lol, the James Allen rings plug. See what Steve started last season?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lacy4u said:

Hello. Is this thing on (tapping the mic)? Where's everyone at? Have we given up on MAFS?

7 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’m on the fence about watching this new season. Last season was just so needlessly long and terrible and stupid and repetitious and did I mention stupid? I regret wasting all those hours of my life. And the experts don’t have clue, but that’s old news.

My first MAFS season was New Orleans. I haven't given up on the show yet, but Houston and Boston II have taught me that the premiere is mostly filler, like the 5,000 preview, cast selection, underwear drawer tours, recaps, where-are-they-now episodes, etc. I really hope the pacing is better this season; the season reallllllyyyy draaaaaaaags toward Decision Day, especially if there aren't any likable couples left.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Binh would drive me nuts with his frugality; I think it’s great that he wants to retire early but he lost me totally when he said he won’t run the heat or air conditioning or do laundry during peak hours (electricity costs more then, I suppose)?

It does - I actually do try to do my laundry early in the morning (perk of remote work - I do it when I get up on a weekday) and run the dishwasher at night, and I have been known to do outside activities in summer or go to the movies so I’m not home using the AC all the time (but if I’m home and it’s hot, I use it). Binh is … cheap, though - he gave a GF socks as an anniversary gift? Come on. His frugality and the other guy’s environmentalism require a very specific partner - you have to be aligned on those things because they affect every aspect of your lives. And the environmentalist wasn’t making a good case for himself - I think he said he has a “really inappropriate sense of humor.”

The one whose wedding was called off needs to maybe make better choices. She picked a dude who lived on a friend’s couch and spent her life savings on the wedding? I assume her ex didn’t contribute any money.

5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Miguel is an interesting guy. Dressing in costumes with his friends was odd to me: Meh

His friend was giving him real constructive criticism… with elf ears on. It was killing me.

5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Alexis was giving me Amazon warrior playing football with her guy friends & I was here for it! Full glam & curves--- she has an arm! & the way she caught that ball with her fingertips!? Yasss! She has a brutally honest quality that is great for tv, maybe not so great in relationships.

I like her the best. When she was trying to be tactful about Lindy and the producer was like “girl, give me the real” and then she did, I cracked up. I didn’t like any of the dresses she tried on though.

8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

She's a pretty woman, very tall, but she's super curvy/largish. Justin is super tall but very thin.

It was floating around Twitter that Justin used to be heavy and lost a lot of weight, FWIW.

I skipped the last hour (it’s recorded, I’ll watch it tonight). Three hours is way too long.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Ugh, another "frugal" person. What is he doing cooking fresh fish for dinner? That costs money! Although maybe he caught it himself. With his hands. Since fishing equipment costs money.

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ms.C. said:

Anybody else bored?  Really it just goes on too long.  Am hour of “cute” then a couple weddings.  Soo drawn out.  

Yes, bored and aggravated.  Too many fillers.  Gets worse and worse.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Mercolleen said:

Ugh, another "frugal" person. What is he doing cooking fresh fish for dinner? That costs money! Although maybe he caught it himself. With his hands. Since fishing equipment costs money.

Looked like they could have been tuna steaks too, which are not cheap. I am all for living within your means and saving, but most financial advisors (real ones, not randoms on LLC Twitter) will tell you that living on a budget that denies you any and all pleasures isn’t sustainable. If Binh busts out a whiteboard a la Jose, I’m going to throw the remote.

Who was the dude who sold fake bags? This is not a great crop of guys (and again, the women are better-looking than the men - Miguel is the best-looking one).

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Mercolleen said:

Being frugal is not the same as being a cheap ass & not spending anything, people tend to think they're the same but they're very different. Frugal to me is more about getting bang for your buck, I may be eating fillet steak not some cheap cut that was supposed to be for a stew but you can almost guarantee it was bought at Costco or somewhere it was on offer. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Mercolleen said:

No air conditioning?  I’d be out in two seconds.  They pick a Penny pincher?  Not good.%

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Who was the dude who sold fake bags? This is not a great crop of guys (and again, the women are better-looking than the men - Miguel is the best-looking one).

Forgot his name.  The guy with strings in his hair, a trader now who changed his life.  He’s paired with the nicely dressed 37 yr old accountant who was brought up not knowing her father.  She’s very classy looking. His name is Nate.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I'm with you.  My husband has already bailed and I don't blame him.  Plus I'm not finding any of these people remotely likable so far.  It's so obvious that the experts are given a relatively small pool of people and told to match within that pool, so they are forced to match people on surface similarities, with often deal-breaking personality clashes and volatile tendencies.  And that pool wasn't picked for its readiness for marriage in the first place, but for its "entertainment value".  Anyone with any sense at all could see that Nate is a problem person plus Alexis is a firecracker herself.  Morgan too.  Binh doesn't impress me and it's not even primarily his "frugality".  He strikes me as immature and self centered.  They all strike me as immature and self centered to an unhealthy degree.  Lindy seems to be in a different category but it looks like they matched her with Miguel because he is into fantasy and she admittedly grew up sheltered and in her own world.  Not necessarily going to work.

Plus Nate and Justin obviously need new mirrors because I don't find either them remotely attractive and both seem to think they are all that and a bag of chips appearance-wise.  Nate is shady and slimy and Justin is immature and has an ego combined with insecurity to boot.  And neither of them strike me as what their spouses to be asked for.  I'm not seeing "real men" in the sense that I think the women are meaning it.  It sounds to me like they want traditional he-men, not overly analytical, emotional metrosexuals.  Just my take.

These people all profess to be so ready and self-examined but if they're not seeing their true selves they're not going to be right about who they think they are.  They want to be who they think they are but they aren't, IMHO.  Plus most of them look like they have spent many years sleeping around swiping left and right and not necessarily into a lifelong commitment.  Now suddenly they think they're ready.  Not buying it.  So of course some of them will be attracted to each other but after that it will devolve into selfish pettiness and nastiness as usual.  I think Mitch is going to turn out to be very picky and not be easy to get close to.  And Krysten (Kristen?) looks like a problem herself.  Not loving this crop but I have been liking them less and less after the New Orleans season, and obviously with good reason because whoever is picking them now is doing a horrible job and hardly any of these relationships are working out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Binh doesn't impress me and it's not even primarily his "frugality".  He strikes me as immature and self centered.  They all strike me as immature and self centered to an unhealthy degree. 

He reminds me of Olajuwon in that they’re both very impressed with themselves but they’re just kind of regular guys. Binh was bragging about his degree and being fit, but he’s far from the only fit person with a degree out there.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Not loving this crop but I have been liking them less and less after the New Orleans season, and obviously with good reason because whoever is picking them now is doing a horrible job and hardly any of these relationships are working out.

Yes, it’s become an exercise in futility. And choosing to waste 2-3 hours a week (and I waste time like nobody’s business) started making me feel bad about myself. I stopped watching the latest iteration of MAFS Australia because it became too inane and obviously scripted and haven’t looked back. We’ll see.

• Love 2

Was able to fast-forward most of the first half as I had just watched all of the same scenes two weeks ago and they tried to lure me in last week with many of those same scenes. 

I do enjoy the wedding shopping as I like to see the dresses (why, yes, I watch Say Yes to the Dress...).  But, I didn't really like Alexis' dress (never have cared for the see-through look).  Sure enough, whatever bra she wore showed through the dress.  On her wedding day I thought it looked better with the straps they put on, but for whatever reason they took them off before the ceremony.  

I think Mitch revealed a bit too much of himself when he told his friend how he wasn't willing to compromise and that he is always will to make a scene such as when a restaurant won't refill his water cup.  His nice guy persona may not last long.  

Justin seems way more "in" than does Alexis.  It almost sounded like she had a check-off list she was going through the first time they spoke after the wedding.  Their friends and families seem supportive (Justin's brother seemed to have come around) and I hope this marriage works out for them.

They have had some beautiful venues on this show (I loved the waterfront weddings in Boston even though the rest of the season went quickly downhill from there).  However, this was not one of them as all of the passing traffic was really distracting (at least to me).  I also thought some of the flowers looked like they were dying (yes, they seemed to have an autumn theme but still, some of them looked not great).

• Love 2

Okay. Here's all the footage missing from the matchmaking special! I'm concerned by Lindy being too emotional during disagreements, Mitch having commitment issues, & Morgan being controlling & super independent. Is Stacia gunna ask for a post-nup before or after asking for Nate's credit score? 🤔😅 Nate sold "replica" Louis Vuitton. Interesting way he described that. 😂😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Yes, it’s become an exercise in futility. And choosing to waste 2-3 hours a week (and I waste time like nobody’s business) started making me feel bad about myself. I stopped watching the latest iteration of MAFS Australia because it became too inane and obviously scripted and haven’t looked back. We’ll see.

Yes, and who are we kidding?  We are all watching scripted shows to the hilt hoping everything is real with two “experts” who probably have nothing to do with the picking, but are there just to look important.  P.S.  I can’t even find Australia anymore.  Where did it go?

So there were actual weddings last night? All of them? I might try to find it to FF through. Or, just wait until next week since they will repeat a lot. Thanks for your comments. I feel as though I DID see it. I read a news feed thing from People that had Lindsey from last season giving her predictions. I want all of those past participants to GO AWAY NOW. I do not care what she thinks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have one thing to say tho.  Kudos to whoever wrote those vows Alexis said to Justin.  They brought me to tears.  The most beautiful vows ever.  Actually, I loved everything about their wedding .. the braid and jumping the broom.

• Love 4

I forgot to mention that it never works out when one person is expecting the other person to help de-escalate them (Lindy).  No, just no.  If someone knows they have to de-escalate themselves and calm themselves, then it is up to them to learn to do so-don't put that kind of expectation and responsibility onto someone else.  She is bound to be upset if he tries to help her calm down and then be upset if he doesn't try to help her calm down.  No matter how it plays out it will be lose-lose.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think Mitch revealed a bit too much of himself when he told his friend how he wasn't willing to compromise and that he is always will to make a scene such as when a restaurant won't refill his water cup.  His nice guy persona may not last long.  

If he was really a nice guy there would be no need to make a scene over something so petty, just ask politely, it costs nothing and will get you a lot further as well as your cup full quicker. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

So there were actual weddings last night? All of them? I might try to find it to FF through. Or, just wait until next week since they will repeat a lot. Thanks for your comments. I feel as though I DID see it. I read a news feed thing from People that had Lindsey from last season giving her predictions. I want all of those past participants to GO AWAY NOW. I do not care what she thinks.

I doubt they showed them all; I turned it off after two hours and there hadn’t been any so I’m sure they didn’t cram them into the last hour. It looks like at least Alexis and Justin got married.

• Love 2