Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Pandora’s Box

• Start Topic

Interesting case, didn't see where it was going for a good while. The tension around the new superintendent and the incompetent detective will be interesting, they're setting up a good 2nd series.

The last scene absolutely killed me while I love Eliza seeing the value of her independence, it was so heartbreaking that he called off their date that night. I think it might have been the music that really got me in that scene, it was so well acted and heartfelt, you could really see him struggling not to go to her.

• Love 5
On 8/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, gingerella said:

Wait, did this start up again for S02 in the US? I saw PBS was running S01 again last weekend but didn't see any new episodes up.

This week, I noticed that my local PBS is repeating season one (something they’re annoyingly noted for as filler for their “wonderful programming”). However, the episodes (old ones) are listed as “Miss Scarlet”! I’m very annoyed, because this new abbreviation will ensure that my DVR won’t pick up new episodes!

On 8/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, gingerella said:

Wait, did this start up again for S02 in the US? I saw PBS was running S01 again last weekend but didn't see any new episodes up.

What is the listed title of the program where you are viewing? I’m wondering if PBS shortened it, or if the satellite cable provider shortened it to just “Miss Scarlet”?

I get the distinct feeling the inept nepotism detective does not wish to be there any more than William wants him to be. 

William is of the time. Eliza is well ahead of it. Meeting in the middle is not in either of them, at least not yet. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
On 6/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, maggiegil said:

The last scene absolutely killed me while I love Eliza seeing the value of her independence, it was so heartbreaking that he called off their date that night. I think it might have been the music that really got me in that scene, it was so well acted and heartfelt, you could really see him struggling not to go to her.

It was the music for me haha. That scene probably had my favorite shot of the night: William's silhouette in the hazy light coming in through the doorway. 👌

No Rupert* this episode? This season perhaps? Is the actor busy? Instead we get Harriet, who will probably be equally amusing.

Moses probably spends half his day procuring info for Eliza (amongst other various things), and the other half thinking of ways to...keep her on her toes lololol. He's having the time of his life spooking her. I continue to love their dynamic.

I knew immediately that detective Fitzroy had have SOME connection to the higher ups. That was pretty obvious. I was thinking it was the new boss' son or nephew bbc it felt like William and him were getting along too well, but it turned out to be the chief of police's son instead.

*when I'm up too late and can't get Rupert's name right. I don't even know how I got that other name 🤣

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 6

I'm proud of myself... I figured out the case as soon as the rich guy's ridiculously fake pregnant wife appeared!

I'm hoping the endless William/ Eliza angst doesn't ruin the show. I don't know if they can pull off Miss Fisher levels of tantalizing awesomeness, but I'd like to see them try.

10 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

No Teddy this episode? This season perhaps? Is the actor busy? Instead we get Harriet, who will probably be equally amusing.

If you mean Rupert, yes, apparently Andrew Gower didn't return, which is a shame. But I like the looks of Harriet, and would love to see Eliza with a regular female friend*. (Not that they're quite at the friend stage yet-- at least in Eliza's eyes-- but hopefully they'll get there.)

*(I'm not counting Ivy because she's more of a maternal figure.)

• Love 2

So glad this show is finally back.  22 months was a ridiculously long time to wait!  Good premiere episode with an interesting, but not too complicated mystery and it looks like they retired Eliza's blue dress (not any too soon).  Lol!

49 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I was thinking it was the new boss' son or nephew

I had the exact same thought.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm proud of myself... I figured out the case as soon as the rich guy's ridiculously fake pregnant wife appeared!

Me too.  Although I was rooting for the wife in the end so I was sad that she had to go to jail.

I suspect Rupert is the casualty of them changing where they film the show.  So he got married? He caved? Did we know his wife?  Is there any chance it's a lavender marriage and she's a lesbian?  I hope that for him.  And his wife.  

• Love 1

Well: I’m in.  I guess it’s better now than at the start of the series (waiting 22 months?? I’m too near death for that).   I’m one of those, lay down & die for that accent of his; plus she’s quite appealing, and I really like all the supporting characters.

<trots off to scavenge Season One before next week>

• Love 2

The new detective was obviously a rich kid / legacy preference hire. The more expensive clothes, the floppy, fashionable (for the time period!) hair, and even the name - Fitzroy means "son of the king".

That said, I think the character will be an interesting addition to the show. Most of Wellington's constables are streetwise and experienced, but not well-educated or well-paid. I wonder if Fitzroy will become a conduit for Eliza to information that Wellington doesn't want to give to her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Sooo happy this show is back!! Really enjoyed the episode!! Though the sunny outdoor scenes seemed a little off the me—didn’t feel like London for some reason.

About died with the Eliza and William hand touch—so HOT. But Eliza’s statement about them only being “old friends”? Don’t know what to make of that. William looked a little hurt by the statement. Relieved that the chemistry is still there.

Not liking Fitzroy or William’s new boss—both seem like trouble. Love that the show has expanded on the Moses character. I really like his relationship with Eliza and there is just some “it” factor about him that makes his character really enjoyable. 

Now to the last scene, which totally tore my heart out. Such great acting.  Kinda felt like Eliza confronting William about her “no master/independence” was out of left field. Prior to that William had asked her about her loyalty (like you would expect from a close friend) to him but I didn’t see it as demanding or having an “I’m a man & I’m in charge” vibe to it. Don’t know why Eliza felt the need to lecture him right when he basically walked thru the door and as a “condition” for her going to dinner with him🤷‍♀️ Also sort of got the feeling that William didn’t cancel the dinner in advance—just that he got pissy at that point & said it to one up her. Felt like William just took Eliza’s statement the wrong way because he was in a really bad mood after being undermined by his boss with the “rehiring” of the totally incompetent Fitzroy. I feel like both Eliza & William are very stubborn but obviously love each other. I was screaming for them to open the door. While I am fine with some angst in their relationship, I hope this dance doesn’t drag on too long. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

The new detective was obviously a rich kid / legacy preference hire. The more expensive clothes, the floppy, fashionable (for the time period!) hair, and even the name - Fitzroy means "son of the king".

That said, I think the character will be an interesting addition to the show. Most of Wellington's constables are streetwise and experienced, but not well-educated or well-paid. I wonder if Fitzroy will become a conduit for Eliza to information that Wellington doesn't want to give to her.

I have a feeling that Fitzroy is going to wind up working for Eliza’s detective agency sometime in the future—calling it now.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The ep’s still up on the PBS website, and I happily screened it again.  After spending a lot of the last 24 hours watching fanvids on YT,  I was suuuuuper-focused this time around.  And I enjoyed the title characters even more this go-round.

And I finally pinged Wentworth’s floor walker, Mr Salisbury: a ringer for Professor Hinkle, the evil magician in Frosty the Snowman.  Some things just bug you until you figure them out 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

No Rupert?

I am holding my opinion of Rupert's 'cousin" I usually don't like those forcibly quirky characters. We'll see.

I was confused on the case. Did the couple kidnap the young pregnant woman and were going to take her baby away whether she consented or not? I wasn't clear on that.

I will have to watch again -- but why exactly did William call things off with Eliza? It came across as a contrived plot point simply to drag out the will they won't they for at least another season. I don't know what I was expecting but it sort of came out of nowhere IMO

Sigh. Not that I necessarily want them to get married - NOW- or anything (because I realize a married woman can no longer work) but it seemed like they were working together pretty regularly and even going out to dinner on friendly terms.

I am quite fond of Moses! he continues to be a great character!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, taanja said:

I was confused on the case. Did the couple kidnap the young pregnant woman and were going to take her baby away whether she consented or not? I wasn't clear on that.

It was my understanding that the young pregnant woman was willing because she didn't want to bring shame to her family/ end up in a situation similar to her own (where she was really her "sister"'s daughter). Of course, we heard that from the department store owner's wife, so who knows if that was accurate. 

I will have to watch again -- but why exactly did William call things off with Eliza?

He felt undermined by his boss in having to keep the commissioner's son, and in turn decided to take control of the one aspect of his life he could by breaking it off with Eliza (whom he also feels undermined by).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 10:29 PM, Door County Cherry said:

I suspect Rupert is the casualty of them changing where they film the show.  So he got married? He caved? Did we know his wife?  Is there any chance it's a lavender marriage and she's a lesbian?  I hope that for him.  And his wife.  

I just assumed he married the German woman from last season because he now lives in Germany. Hopefully neither of them are too miserable!

I will have to watch again -- but why exactly did William call things off with Eliza? It came across as a contrived plot point simply to drag out the will they won't they for at least another season. I don't know what I was expecting but it sort of came out of nowhere IMO

Personally I think his ego was just hurt. He was upset that she took over one of his cases, and we've seen in the past that he doesn't like it when she undermines him. They seemed to have been working pretty well together, but I think he wants a woman who is not going to interfere with his work life. Or at least that's what he's been conditioned to think. Hopefully he comes around, because Eliza won't.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, j5cochran said:

I caught that too. The kid has connections and comes from money and/or name. He could prove his worth. 

On 10/18/2022 at 1:27 AM, voiceover said:

The ep’s still up on the PBS website, and I happily screened it again.  After spending a lot of the last 24 hours watching fanvids on YT,  I was suuuuuper-focused this time around.  And I enjoyed the title characters even more this go-round.

And I finally pinged Wentworth’s floor walker, Mr Salisbury: a ringer for Professor Hinkle, the evil magician in Frosty the Snowman.  Some things just bug you until you figure them out 🤣

My husband, who loves to spend time exploring the streaming services and apps on our smart TV informed me that we have a PBS passport and I was able to watch this and Magpie Murders (which I enjoyed too). 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

My husband, who loves to spend time exploring the streaming services and apps on our smart TV informed me that we have a PBS passport and I was able to watch this and Magpie Murders (which I enjoyed too). 

Along with Annika, there is a wealth of riches of Brit mysteries on PBS on a Sunday night.  I have to spread it out, I watch MM in real time on Sunday, MS&TD on Monday and Annika on Tuesday.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, taanja said:

Sigh. Not that I necessarily want them to get married - NOW- or anything (because I realize a married woman can no longer work) but it seemed like they were working together pretty regularly and even going out to dinner on friendly terms.

I am quite fond of Moses! he continues to be a great character!

Enjoyable episode, and happy the show is back.  However, I'm not thrilled they are going to drag out the "Dance" all season.  I was looking forward to seeing them in a comfortable place and working together.  But this whole "I'm a strong independent woman" vs. "I'm an important detective and I can't be seen being undermined by a female PI" is already old.

17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

It was my understanding that the young pregnant woman was willing because she didn't want to bring shame to her family/ end up in a situation similar to her own (where she was really her "sister"'s daughter). Of course, we heard that from the department store owner's wife, so who knows if that was accurate. 

I was a bit confused about the case too.  I called it that the woman had purposely disappeared because she didn't want to face judgment from her mom/"sister".  But for some reason I thought that the department store owner's wife was barren, he had an affair with the shopgirl, and they covered everything up by passing the baby off as his wife's.  Not sure where I got that idea, I am going to have to watch the episode again.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

But for some reason I thought that the department store owner's wife was barren, he had an affair with the shopgirl, and they covered everything up by passing the baby off as his wife's.  Not sure where I got that idea, I am going to have to watch the episode again.

Don't re-watch, that's the plot.  The crime was that the store owner's wife murdered the blackmailing shopgirl.

• Love 1

This was an ok episode.   It is going to get old with the "will they/won't they" scenario.  It's been done a thousand times and eventually they almost always "will".   

I do not like the quirky cousin.  I guess that they need somebody to replace Rupert, but why her?   Her clothing is SO out of date as to be laughable.   She looks as if she's dressed from 1850; and even if she's supposed to be a bumpkin from some rural village, she probably wouldn't be dressed quite like that.  

And speaking of clothing, the store owner's wife looked so obviously fake pregnant.   It just seemed to me that the "bump" was so too down, or did it just look that way because of the dress?   When we first saw the lady, I thought, "is she having quads or what?".    Back at that time period, it probably would have been very unusual for a lady of means to be even seen in public that pregnant.   But I quibble....  overall a good show and I'm glad it's back.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

I do not like the quirky cousin.  I guess that they need somebody to replace Rupert, but why her?   Her clothing is SO out of date as to be laughable.   She looks as if she's dressed from 1850; and even if she's supposed to be a bumpkin from some rural village, she probably wouldn't be dressed quite like that.  

Gotta be a Sabrina type of storyline in the future.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Don't re-watch, that's the plot.  The crime was that the store owner's wife murdered the blackmailing shopgirl.

And kept the other one locked up (well her and her husband)

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Enjoyable episode, and happy the show is back.  However, I'm not thrilled they are going to drag out the "Dance" all season.  I was looking forward to seeing them in a comfortable place and working together.  But this whole "I'm a strong independent woman" vs. "I'm an important detective and I can't be seen being undermined by a female PI" is already old.

I was a bit confused about the case too.  I called it that the woman had purposely disappeared because she didn't want to face judgment from her mom/"sister".  But for some reason I thought that the department store owner's wife was barren, he had an affair with the shopgirl, and they covered everything up by passing the baby off as his wife's.  Not sure where I got that idea, I am going to have to watch the episode again.

I was confused by the case too. It seems like the police (& Duke) did NOT flub the “missing person” investigation because the sister/daughter agreed to give up the child & there was no indication that the sister/daughter was being held against her will—she just didn’t tell her sister/mother where she was. The shooting didn’t happen until after Eliza got involved & it wasn’t the sister/daughter who was killed, it was the shop girl. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Eh, I’m rather fond of the quirky cousin, who — behind the “bumpkin” demeanor —  is actually rather savvy.  She’s able to key in to certain qualities of Eliza’s, find them fascinating, and then tell her that she does.  When one feels misunderstood & underestimated by the rest of society, it’s sure hard to resist someone who is so admiring (I expect that, along with his Perfect Male Specimen attributes, is key to her attraction to William).

I rather view QC as a goofy version of Pride & Prejudice’s Charlotte Lucas, and I’d dearly love to see her help Eliza & William with a case.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 10/16/2022 at 10:21 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm hoping the endless William/ Eliza angst doesn't ruin the show. I don't know if they can pull off Miss Fisher levels of tantalizing awesomeness, but I'd like to see them try.

If you mean Rupert, yes, apparently Andrew Gower didn't return, which is a shame. But I like the looks of Harriet, and would love to see Eliza with a regular female friend*. (Not that they're quite at the friend stage yet-- at least in Eliza's eyes-- but hopefully they'll get there.)

*(I'm not counting Ivy because she's more of a maternal figure.)

I saw her as a substitute for Rupert, who can be trying, to Eliza, in a parallel manner the commissioner’s kid will be a trial to Duke. I anticipate them commiserating over their two “charges”. Not looking forward to more nastiness from Rupert’s mother. 

• Love 3

I don't know, I didn't have any heart flutters from that final scene. In fact, I rather hope Eliza finds a new romance. William bugged me the entire episode. I get that historically he would have been "rough" but I did NOT like any part of him this episode. 

I'm sure I'll keep watching, as I like Eliza and Moses. i too am very sad there is no Rupert, as I adore Andrew Gower. 

Let's hope the next episode is better. 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2022 at 8:50 PM, j5cochran said:

Fitzroy means "son of the king".

Even more specifically, the “fitz” originally implied illegitimacy. Hmmmm….

On 10/17/2022 at 6:07 AM, Nolefan said:

Kinda felt like Eliza confronting William about her “no master/independence” was out of left field. Prior to that William had asked her about her loyalty (like you would expect from a close friend) to him but I didn’t see it as demanding or having an “I’m a man & I’m in charge” vibe to it.

He had specifically asked her if she would have refused to investigate the case if he had asked her to, and they were interrupted before she could answer. He was feeling undermined by her as well as by his boss, and it was a fair question. Her bringing it up before they went to dinner was fair, as was his cancellation. 

I like their relationship but I also like that the show explores the very real tension that is present with her relationships, her place in society as a woman, and her desire for independence.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

For anyone who misses it on Sunday, PBS shows it the following Saturday at 8 pm Eastern, which is when I watched it.  And it was followed by Magpie Murders.

I didn't know it was back until I scrolled the listings looking for something to watch last night.  I was so happy I found it.

I enjoyed the episode except for the breakup of William and Eliza, more because of the tediousness of it than for any heartbreak.

I hope Fitzroy shows some worth.  I liked him.  Also liked the new superintendent - I think he and William got along well enough and having Fitzroy foisted on them was a burden for both of them.

Also liked Rupert's cousin - I think she might end up being a help to Eliza. She certainly seemed to admire Eliza.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Trey said:

For anyone who misses it on Sunday, PBS shows it the following Saturday at 8 pm Eastern, which is when I watched it.  And it was followed by Magpie Murders.

I think that might be your local station.  Mine doesn't repeat it on Saturdays.  It reairs in the early morning and then on Tuesday evening. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I think that might be your local station.  Mine doesn't repeat it on Saturdays.  It reairs in the early morning and then on Tuesday evening. 

Oh, I didn't know that.  I apologize for the misinformation.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:46 AM, Trey said:

I didn't know it was back until I scrolled the listings looking for something to watch last night.  I was so happy I found it.

I enjoyed the episode except for the breakup of William and Eliza, more because of the tediousness of it than for any heartbreak.

I hope Fitzroy shows some worth.  I liked him.  Also liked the new superintendent - I think he and William got along well enough and having Fitzroy foisted on them was a burden for both of them.

Also liked Rupert's cousin - I think she might end up being a help to Eliza. She certainly seemed to admire Eliza.

Unless you’re in a large metro area, that “repeat in case of miss” (DVR belched, signal was spotty, storm came through) happens per your local PBS station’s scheduling. In my case, just after midnight, the Tuesday after airing. If I don’t watch the Sunday night recordings the next day, I miss the repeat opportunity, if needed. But good information for everyone to know-that the episode will be repeated sometime during the week. 

• Like 1
On 10/18/2022 at 1:35 PM, taanja said:

(because I realize a married woman can no longer work) but it seemed like they

A Married Woman could work, but it would be unusual, especially in the upperclasses. Interestingly when the series is set 1882 a series of acts that gave married women more rights to control their own income had been passed.

• Useful 2

I'm catching up now, as I didn't realize season 2 had started.  Yeah!  And Eliza has a whole new wardrobe!  Yeah!

Something about Eliza is different, but I can't place exactly what.  I don't know if it's styling - the hair or wardrobe or makeup - or if she's actually changed in some way. 

Here's what I don't get about the "missing" part of the missing woman story is why did she stop writing her sister/mother?  OK, she's pregnant, makes a deal with her rich boss/lover and his wife to camp out at their home, have the baby, give it to them, then return to society.  And then rich boss/lover and wife are blackmailed by co-worker/high priced escort.  But why did missing pregnant woman (sorry, I caught none of their names) stop writing to her sister/mother, which caused sister/mother to come looking for her? 

Also, wasn't prostitution illegal?  Why didn't Miss Scarlet report the shop supervisor/pimp to William? 

When it became obvious that the fake pregnant wife killed the co-worker/high priced escort, I was hoping she was going to say that the other woman grabbed her gun, and it went off in the struggle, making it more of an involuntary homicide rather than murder.  A rich woman, especially one who was being blackmailed by a prostitute, would easily get off on that charge. 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, Nolefan said:

It seems like the police (& Duke) did NOT flub the “missing person” investigation because the sister/daughter agreed to give up the child & there was no indication that the sister/daughter was being held against her will—she just didn’t tell her sister/mother where she was.

I'll disagree here.  Yes, it turned out that pregnant sister/daughter was not really "missing", but holed up voluntarily in the rich boss's house.  But the police did not know that - they never did any sort of investigation, never went to the workplace to inquire about her.  They had a report of a missing person, but didn't do anything and just closed the file.

I wish Eliza had told William what she said to the Ivy, that she would do a preliminary investigation to spare William the embarrassment of another private detective finding something the police didn't.  Because that's actually a really good reason.  (Even if she was just sort of making it up on the spot.)   If another PI took this case, learned the police flubbed it (let's say she really was missing, involuntarily so) they could go to the press and embarrass the entire department just for the publicity.  Eliza would never have done that.  William may know they flubbed it, his superiors would, but it would be contained to that. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2022 at 9:27 AM, Nolefan said:

I have a feeling that Fitzroy is going to wind up working for Eliza’s detective agency sometime in the future—calling it now.

I know I’m way behind you all, but HELLO and I thought this too! Why not have Fitzroy do paperwork and go over evidence and records. He seems to be bright, just bad at field work. He probably didn’t even want this job but his father made him, he could’ve gone to university and be a writer. 

Yes I assumed the actor who played Rupert got another role, but I think Hattie will be a good sounding board for Eliza. 

Her and William will certainly get together for real by the end of the season, but I’m not surprised by any of this. William is too insecure in his social position and place at work to have an “unconventional wife” and Eliza values her independence to much to be submissive just for companionship (not that I blame her), but it’s clear they’ve had the hots for each other for YEARS and the tension must be building. Eliza has had no other serious suitors and William is mighty fine.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:40 PM, chaifan said:

I wish Eliza had told William what she said to the Ivy, that she would do a preliminary investigation to spare William the embarrassment of another private detective finding something the police didn't.  Because that's actually a really good reason.  (Even if she was just sort of making it up on the spot.)   If another PI took this case, learned the police flubbed it (let's say she really was missing, involuntarily so) they could go to the press and embarrass the entire department just for the publicity.  Eliza would never have done that.  William may know they flubbed it, his superiors would, but it would be contained to that. 

I agree with this. Eliza does care about William and would protect his public reputation. But he’s so proud he can’t see that. 

• Like 1
On 10/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I think that was the truth. Georgina was unmarried, and I don't think her sister (bio mother) was married, could they afford another mouth to feed? Especially since it seemed like Mrs Wentworth DID want a baby, and would've loved it, and raised it as her own. Being raised in that situation would've been good for the baby, Georgina probably would've been given some money and a chance to start over. It was a bad situation but I didn't get the impression that Mr Wentworth raped or assaulted her.

But I did ask my Mom "why did she stop writing her sister (bio mother) during her pregnancy??" Maybe she unconsciously wanted her to come looking OR was feeling so guilty about the pregnancy, and her own upbringing that she couldn't bare to write her.

• Like 1