Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05 I Was Born in the Dining Room

• Start Topic

(edited)

Olivia feels shocked when Ethan reveals that he's been keeping a secret from her for months*; Micah goes on a double date**; Kim opens up to the little girls about her separation, resulting in some very tense discussion^.

* Shocked? I highly doubt that.

** Hijinx ensue no doubt.

^ Please let the girls kick her fat ass out of the house. Please baby Jesus, 🙏 🙏 🙏 

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Please let thr girls kick her fat ass out of thr house. Please baby Jesus,

And tell their daddy he deserves better and has their permission to date!  Although I don't know that they're mature enough for that...yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And tell their daddy he deserves better and has their permission to date!  Although I don't know that they're mature enough for that...yet.

Does he?  I kind of think she's exactly what he deserves.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, nosedive said:

Does he?  I kind of think she's exactly what he deserves.

I think just as she mind-and-body controlled all those sad and beautiful children, she did the same to Barry.  She's dumping him, but I consider that she's FREEING him.

She met a shy pliable boy and made him into the husband she wanted (bragging to viewers how she invited former boyfriends to their wedding).  Barry didn't know what to do, other than drive to work every day (how many miles?), come home worn out and bow to her every wish (sexual wishes included). He was happy to have a nice home and a seemingly happy "Christian" family with side musical job in "Christian showbiz."

She ran the ship at home and created nine little musical servants.  She also decided to make herself a doctor and a home-schooler.  So far four of the children have escaped, but we don't know how healthy they are.  I won't go on.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

All the older kids are parentified but it’s creepy seeing Barry discuss the separation with Lydia who already creeps me out although it’s not her fault.  Seek a marriage counselor, don’t put this on your kids.  BOUNDARIES!!!  It’s also weird he doesn’t say, “your mother,” instead of “Kim.”

Ethan, it’s not about the car…

I hope Micah’s buddy finds some good character work.  He seems like a nice guy.

• Like 3
  • Love 9
(edited)

Barry having a picnic with Lydia calling her mom by her first name and talking to her like she’s an impartial adult...so weird 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Sad 1
  • Love 14
(edited)

"I Was Born In The Living Room". Olivia is shocked when Ethan reveals that he's been keeping a secret from her for months. Micah goes on a double date. Kim opens up to the little girls about her separation, resulting in some very tense discussion.

• Wow, they sure managed to drag out the Ethan-got-a-car-without-telling-Olivia story! Ethan acts like a child and Olivia over-reacts and flees to Miami for a couple days. 🙄
  • I enjoyed watching Micah and his friends hanging out. He seems to have adjusted to life on his own better than the others. 
  • I'm getting tired of Moriah dealing with her breakup with her boyfriend and waiting for the other shoe to drop WRT what he really did. 
  • Barry and Lydia's picnic bored the fuck out of me but I found it amusing they were seated in Tom Brown Park's parking lot. 😃
  • I don't give a rat's arse about Kim, either and pretty much began zoning out and watching the clock wind down at this point.
Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, For Cereals said:

it’s creepy seeing Barry discuss the separation with Lydia who already creeps me out

11 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Barry having a picnic with Lydia calling her mom by her first name and talking to her like she’s an impartial adult...so weird 

I don't recall the exact conversation, but Barry said something like, "It's nice talking to you because you're old enough to relate to this."  Um, no Barry.  Not sure how you think Lydia can relate to any kind of relationship issues since 1) she's never been in a relationship ever and 2) she believes texting a boy goes against God's plan or some such nonsense.  And Lydia had literally nothing to say in response to Barry other than the occasional "mm hmm" or empty platitudes with an awkward smile.  

• Like 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

Funny how Kim never ever gets to the meat or their issues. Just that Barry needs to change. I hope the kids rally around Barry and she is left alone and lonely going from rental to rental and her "studio" fails so they have to sell it. 

I'm curious how do the Plath's have so much money? They must make a boatload off their rentals which is interesting to me since Cairo is not a vacation destination. What else does Barry do for a living to support 9 kids all these years while Kim stayed home and controlled every aspect of the family's lives? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’m still wondering how Ethan and Olivia have enough money to be staying in Paris for an entire month as Olivia just  boasted about on Instagram. Parents should not be talking about their marriage with their children . Barry and Kim are both creepy. Kim is unlikable but we don’t really know how they started in their fundie life although the kids do seem to like a Barry better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

ICE CREAM?  Kim is really working it, isn't she.

And if her flexible schedule is the only reason Lisa should live in the house, why doesn't she just make herself available when a parent is needed and Barry can't be there?  I think the kid is right:  if she's the one who wants out, why doesn't she get out?

Barry is a worm, but Lisa is a snake.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I didn’t realize there was a new season.  I did see an item that Kim and Barry are living apart.  They both creep me out. Who is Lisa?  

I'm not sure, but I think she's the daughter younger than Olivia

2 hours ago, Mothra said:

ICE CREAM?  Kim is really working it, isn't she.

.I was amused at Kim saying how she and Barry have mellowed out with the younger kids about things. I kinda wondered if it was an attempt to keep the rest of the kids from fleeing as soon as they were old enough. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm curious how do the Plath's have so much money? They must make a boatload off their rentals which is interesting to me since Cairo is not a vacation destination. What else does Barry do for a living to support 9 kids all these years while Kim stayed home and controlled every aspect of the family's lives? 

Barry is a senior transportation planner in Tallahassee.  That means he is probably making about $100K.  That plus income from the farm and their rental properties would make it doable to raise 9 kids with a SAH mother.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:
11 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Barry is a senior transportation planner in Tallahassee.  That means he is probably making about $100K.  That plus income from the farm and their rental properties would make it doable to raise 9 kids with a SAH mother.

Extremely doable, where they live. It's not like they need to save for college lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Jeez Kim and Barry,  stop dragging your kids into your separation story. You are horrible parents involving them- all for the TLC buck. Hey Olivia,  You get angry when Ethan runs off because he doesn't want to deal with stuff. Hey honey, what did you just do?  I was rooting for them as a couple but now I think they should probably go their separate ways before they have any children. Neither are bad people, they just want different things in life.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

So so cringe them talking to their kids like confidants. Why don’t they go to counseling? 
I get sister wife vibes from Lydia and Barry with the whole picnic and scene. They looked like they were courting. Maybe I’ve been watching to many Amish and Mormon cult docu’s, but it’s just feels very inappropriate. 

Sure, Ethan should have ran the car by Momma, I mean Olivia, but how much could that hoop-tie even cost? It looks like salvage. He needs to be able to make some decisions on his own. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Why didn't Lydia bring a blanket with her picnic basket? All I could think about was the red ants crawling into their food and into their pant legs. 😳  As mentioned above, Barry calling Kim "Kim" to Lydia instead of "your mom/mother" was odd. 

Kim having a BFF sleepover with her younger girls and saying, "I know Barry has been talking to them and I deserve a chance to be heard, too." 🙄 

I don't understand why Kim left the main home and also left her kids. I understand wanting to have your own identity and life, but I can't see myself leaving the kids in the house with the man I can't stand. Amber brought it up, but if Kim truly feels that they're "both at fault" why isn't she asking Barry to go float? My heart breaks for those 3 little girls.

Also, I'm loving Amber and can't wait for her to kick Lydia's ass one day. Or, at the very least, nail her with some real talk. I want to just bring her home with me and rescue her from those horrible parents she has. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I was confused why they made such a big deal about Ethan buying a junk car? Was this TLCs idea? Because I thought it was stupid, he bought the car when they were separated so who gives a damn. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
On 6/14/2022 at 11:10 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Wait, what????? Barry had another wife????? I want to hear more about this! 

He mentioned it last season. I believe he was also friends with Kim’s ex-boyfriend.

So it’s now been revealed that the 3 youngest daughters are home alone all day while Barry, Lydia, and Isaac work full time . Lydia helps with homeschooling the younger girls while Kim is off living in their various rental properties. The little girls are 9, 11 and 13. Isn’t there a law against them being home alone ? 

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

I was confused why they made such a big deal about Ethan buying a junk car? Was this TLCs idea? Because I thought it was stupid, he bought the car when they were separated so who gives a damn. 

For me, the deal would be 1) Why didn't you tell me after we reconciled 2) Did you go over our mutually agreed upon no discussion needed amount and use our shared accounts?  3) Did we incur debt?

#1 & 2 are about trust and #3 is about responsibility.

• Like 3
On 6/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, For Cereals said:

All the older kids are parentified but it’s creepy seeing Barry discuss the separation with Lydia who already creeps me out although it’s not her fault.  Seek a marriage counselor, don’t put this on your kids.  BOUNDARIES!!!  It’s also weird he doesn’t say, “your mother,” instead of “Kim.”

Ethan, it’s not about the car…

I hope Micah’s buddy finds some good character work.  He seems like a nice guy.

I agree! Barry is treating Lydia like a mini-wife, not like his daughter! You never, ever discuss marriage problems with your kids, no matter how old those kids are! That's just all kinds of wrong and he is plenty old enough to know better. It felt like to me that he just wants his kids to feel sorry for him, and that Kim is in the wrong. I don't agree with her leaving so many minor children behind for him to care for, they need their mother living with them, not their dad, who is definitely not used to taking care of them. I am so sad for those younger girls.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 6/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

For me, the deal would be 1) Why didn't you tell me after we reconciled 2) Did you go over our mutually agreed upon no discussion needed amount and use our shared accounts?  3) Did we incur debt?

#1 & 2 are about trust and #3 is about responsibility.

I hear you, I just don’t get why TLC thought this was important enough to show us. I also don’t think Olivia was as annoyed as she made out, saying to Mariah to buy flowers for his funeral, I just rolled my eyes. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Olivia seems to think Ethan needs to spend all of his time thinking and talking about their relationship. Any attempts to do something else are deemed avoiding the relationship. No one can spend every minute of their life thinking about their marriage . People also need hobbies and time away from each other. He shouldn’t have lied about the car but Olivia won’t find any man who sits in a chair discussing the relationship every minute.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

So, I’m waiting for the real reason for the separation to come out.  Kim is taking better care of herself, wearing lipstick, dressing up, needing private time…….hmmmm…..what could it be?   🥴

When I was growing up Fundie, I prayed my parents would divorce.  I thought splitting them up would deflate their power.  

IMO, both of those parents are responsible for the kids’ treatment.  I have zero sympathy for either.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 3