Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Glorious Five Year Plan

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed it's teleportation as I was endlessly amused by the idea that Hughie ran right out of his clothes. But it could also make for some entertaining situations if he doesn't learn to control it (presuming he's going to take it again).

The show does like to poke fun at tropes, so I truly hope that's what they were doing by having Kimiko mortally injured hours after declaring her intention to retire.

Meaning I hope they were rolling their eyes that we'd catch that and she's going to heal up. As someone mentioned earlier, if being a powers vacuum is Soldier Boy's secret weapon, hopefully the effects aren't permanent.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

MV5BYmZmNjNiMzItOGRiOS00MmE1LTg3NWYtYjQ4

13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Also - did I miss something in my speed-watch (thanks, Prime :P ) -- was the meaning of the episode title part of the episode?

A few of the episode titles are titles from the "The Boys" Comic Books. This includes the "Glorious Five Year Plan" where "the Boys go to the Soviet Union and meet a super hero team known as the "Glorious Five Year Plan" (***Spoiler*** one of the members of the "Glorious Five Year Plan" we have already met in Season 2).

***Spoiler***, next episode is the one with the song and dance musical number.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
11 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

After watching that, I feel it necessary to apologize for every bad thing I ever said about Debbie Harry's rap skills.

Edgar's always been the greatest threat to Homelander, I'm a little surprised he got outflanked....for now.

Debbie Harry actually loved his 'rendition'..

Edgar is not afraid of HL one bit.  He talked down to him in their last talk, and turned his back to walk away from HL.    So the latter might have outflanked Edgar for now, but I don't doubt that he has something in the wings.

• Like 2

That hamster gave me flashbacks of the "killer rabbit" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail ! Anyone else?

One little detail about Homelander that infuriates me: the way he'll say something offensive, and then smile and say, "just kidding." Given what Americans have had to endure for the last five years, that hits too close to home. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Regarding the temptation of power for Hughie---he is on a really slippery slope.

They are speeding away in the van, MM and Frenchie are trying to revive Kimiko, trying to keep her alive, and Hughie is looking at his glowing newly healed arm, and smiling. He doesn't even seem aware of what's going on with Kimiko just behind him.

I wonder how that is going to play out.

• Like 8
(edited)
On 6/10/2022 at 12:02 PM, cdnalor said:

It looked to me like Hughie teleported out of his clothes rather than using superspeed.

I thought he teleported too.

I thought for sure Alex was going to turn traitor. I yelled at Annie for telling him. Poor guy really was one of the good ones, just too stupid to realize everyone is out for themselves.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, mac123x said:

Reminded me of William Shatner speak-singing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".  So awkward and hilarious.

I wondered why it sounded so awkward since it is basically a rap song from Blondie. 

Oddly enough I wanted Jamie to go with Frenchie....a flying super hamster is just too cool to pass up. And yeah it did remind me of the killer rabbit from Holy Grail.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 2
On 6/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, mac123x said:

Reminded me of William Shatner speak-singing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".  So awkward and hilarious.

Honestly the original version with Blondie "rapping" sounds awkward and hilarious also IMO.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

After rewatching I have an unpopular opinion about the Butcher/Frenchie/Kimiko situation. Butcher paid off Nina to get Frenchie and Cherie out of her debt, she ups her condition that one last job must be performed in order for her to let Cherie off the hook. Frenchie is outraged because he thinks that Butcher gave up Cherie's location and is further outraged when he says that Kimiko has to carry out the job for the debt to be paid. Why is Butcher the bad guy in this situation? Frenchie's bad blood with Nina happened outside of his affiliation with Butcher and he didn't tell the boys when she summoned him because he didn't want them to know what was going on. If Butcher hadn't offered up Kimiko (who he doesn't know doesn't want to kill anymore because she only talks to Frenchie) then Nina would have continued to pursue Frenchie and look for Cherie which Frenchie was trying to avoid. I understand that Butcher was "uncouth" when giving them the news but outside of that how is he the bad guy in this situation? Genuinely asking here.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

After rewatching I have an unpopular opinion about the Butcher/Frenchie/Kimiko situation. Butcher paid off Nina to get Frenchie and Cherie out of her debt, she ups her condition that one last job must be performed in order for her to let Cherie off the hook. Frenchie is outraged because he thinks that Butcher gave up Cherie's location and is further outraged when he says that Kimiko has to carry out the job for the debt to be paid. Why is Butcher the bad guy in this situation? Frenchie's bad blood with Nina happened outside of his affiliation with Butcher and he didn't tell the boys when she summoned him because he didn't want them to know what was going on. If Butcher hadn't offered up Kimiko (who he doesn't know doesn't want to kill anymore because she only talks to Frenchie) then Nina would have continued to pursue Frenchie and look for Cherie which Frenchie was trying to avoid. I understand that Butcher was "uncouth" when giving them the news but outside of that how is he the bad guy in this situation? Genuinely asking here.

Repeating the trope from another show that shall be nameless: taking away her autonomy.  Promising she'd do something (or making her do something) without giving her the choice, or even asking.  Making the decision behind her back and not letting her say no. *sigh*

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Repeating the trope from another show that shall be nameless: taking away her autonomy.  Promising she'd do something (or making her do something) without giving her the choice, or even asking.  Making the decision behind her back and not letting her say no. *sigh*

Yeah, I get it but my point is that it was Cherie or Frenchie on the chopping block. Butcher got Frenchie off the hook and Frenchie was trying to keep Cherie off of their radar. Again, he doesn't communicate much with Kimiko and clearly thought that it wouldn't be an issue if he volunteered her services. I don't get how Butcher is the villain here given the choices. Frenchie was pissed at the thought that Butcher gave up Cherie but if Butcher hadn't offered up Kimiko the Russians would have continued to pursue Frenchie and Cherie.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 2

Like Butcher said, he has to be the a*hole to keep things on track. 

Yes, he should have asked Kimiko, but flat out said, "you are my gun".

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
30 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

If Hughie can teleport why are they driving to the hospital. Just pick her up and teleport to a hospital!

He's too enthralled with his glowy arm, lol.

Seriously tho, he's likely too new and inexperienced to target a distant location,  never mind take another person with him.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

If Hughie can teleport why are they driving to the hospital. Just pick her up and teleport to a hospital!

Per Kripke in an interview, Hughie can only teleport his own physical body.  That's why he teleports out of his clothing (which, apparently, he'll be doing fairly frequently now.)  It also means he can't teleport anything he's touching or carrying.  

ETA:  Maybe, as he gets more adept, he'll learn how to move items or people with him.  That won't be nearly as much fun as him showing up naked everywhere, though. 😊

Edited by ahrtee
  • Useful 8
On 6/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, MAK said:

Regarding the temptation of power for Hughie---he is on a really slippery slope.

They are speeding away in the van, MM and Frenchie are trying to revive Kimiko, trying to keep her alive, and Hughie is looking at his glowing newly healed arm, and smiling. He doesn't even seem aware of what's going on with Kimiko just behind him.

I wonder how that is going to play out.

The V does corrupt people and Hughie and Butcher seem to be enjoying it a little too much. 

• Love 3
On 6/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, ILoveReading said:

One thing I noticed with the temp V.  Homelander is Butcher's nemisis and he ended up with strength, laser eyes and he's bullet proof.   Homelander has all those powers.  Hughie had issues with A-Train and he ended up with speed.  Does temp V somehow manifest in the powers of the person you clash with?

I've been asking myself why Butcher received the powers he did - twice, no less - and wondering if everyone gets those. Then we see what Hughie received. I can't think of any reason why they would get those powers vs any others. Your theory is as good as any, but I have no idea how it would work - you have a super nemesis in your mind, and a chemical gives your body those powers? Even in this show, that mind/body link is a long putt. is it which superhero you were last near? 

On 6/11/2022 at 5:10 PM, DeeDee79 said:

Honestly the original version with Blondie "rapping" sounds awkward and hilarious also IMO.

That is true. It was hailed as rap breakthrough at the time, and i just couldn't get over the lines about the man from Mars eating cars.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ottis said:

I can't think of any reason why they would get those powers vs any others. 

The showrunner revealed the answer in an interview. It's quite spoilery,  but if you're into that it's posted in The Boys In The Media thread and the Spoilers & Speculation thread. 

• Love 1

So, I actually just binge watched the entire series for the first time, so I just got caught up. It's a wonder I didn't watch this series sooner.

Not a total surprise that the Temporary V users would feel an addiction to it of some sort. And interesting, yet very in character, to how both Butcher and Hughie respond to it. Butcher resents Supes, so his response is less than positive. He doesn't want to take the drug, but he's doing it for the bigger picture. He clearly hates it, and it really does show. While Hughie seems excited for it. I think Hughie's felt like he hasn't been much help, especially in season 2, and they've definitely set up his arc where he might just try for the permanent stuff. Hughie seems like he wants to be useful and not have to be the one standing and watching everyone else save the day, so I think we'll see him continue to take it. Which, as this show has done well this season, is just a parallel with Hughie's Supe enemy, A-Train. Though I guess Homelander is becoming more of Hughie's enemy now.

No surprise Homelander figured out a lot of the plan by Supersonic and Annie, but it doesn't help when they were talking about it in the building and Supersonic, in particular, not taking precautions when spilling the entire plan to A-Train. Of course A-Train isn't trustworthy. He's been feeling bitter over Homelander choosing Deep over him. I don't think he would have turned BECAUSE he still sees Homelander as the leader, as the person who nobody can beat. He wouldn't turn on Homelander for a chance at killing him; he would want to be on the winning side, and for A-Train, just being told there's a way wouldn't be enough.

That being said, I was surprised they killed off Supersonic before we got to see him in action. I knew he wasn't long for the season, but I thought we'd see him as part of the team for at least a little bit.

Stan does seem like he still has the upper hand on Homelander. For all the power Homelander does have, where he could blast Stan into pieces before he could even move, he still seems inferior to Stan. Stan still has a way of scaring him into submission. 

Oh, hello Soldier Boy! I see that he's the weapon, judging from the damage Kimiko sustained from his blast. IF Kimiko does survive (Frenchie/Kimiko talking about leaving doesn't bode well, though), it'll be interesting to see those two share a scene. Both kidnapped and used as weapons for various reasons. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I know, I know....Soldier Boy is a villain, America's a*hole, not supposed to feel sorry for him, etc.

But, what he must have gone through for 30 years? When Butcher took off that metal door, SB was half awake. He might have been sleeping, but he wasn't unconscious. He ripped off the wires, tubes, cuffs, etc., pretty quickly. Opening the door didn't "revive" him. He may have been disoriented because of the new faces and his cage door being ripped off, but he was not unaware of his surroundings. He was literally locked in a coffin, alive and aware.

And how many times over the 30 years had he tried to escape? How many times was he subdued, sedated and "buried" again? In addition, he was tortured/experimented on.

The blast from his chest didn't seem voluntary. His expression, to me, seemed like he was trying to stop it from happening but couldn't control it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, MAK said:

I know, I know....Soldier Boy is a villain, America's a*hole, not supposed to feel sorry for him, etc.

But, what he must have gone through for 30 years? When Butcher took off that metal door, SB was half awake. He might have been sleeping, but he wasn't unconscious. He ripped off the wires, tubes, cuffs, etc., pretty quickly. Opening the door didn't "revive" him. He may have been disoriented because of the new faces and his cage door being ripped off, but he was not unaware of his surroundings. He was literally locked in a coffin, alive and aware.

And how many times over the 30 years had he tried to escape? How many times was he subdued, sedated and "buried" again? In addition, he was tortured/experimented on.

The blast from his chest didn't seem voluntary. His expression, to me, seemed like he was trying to stop it from happening but couldn't control it.

This is all very true, and while Soldier Boy was clearly an ahole in his 'personal' life such as it was, he was an actual war hero who defended his country (unless/until we're shown differently). Debauchery and misogyny shouldn't equal a death sentence, never mind thirty years of torment. 

I'm not sure if he could control the blast, but he did appear to aim it at the threat. Unfortunately, he aimed it at one of the two non-suped up people in the room and likely the only one for which Kimiko would sacrifice herself. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 6/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, Bergamot said:

Homelander acts confident that he has the upper hand now over Edgar, and claims that he is not afraid of him, but is it really true? And if it is, and Homelander is sure that he no longer needs Edgar, why hasn’t he just sliced him in two with his laser eyes and gotten rid of him?

Well, for all of Homelander’s claims that Vought “is for supers”, the fact of the matter is that Edgar keeps the place running, all the ducks in a row. Under the “don’t eff with the money” rule, the next member who joins The Seven better have MBA as their super power…

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, MAK said:

Moving forward, I really hope we're not supposed to just brush off and dismiss what Soldier Boy went through. He's officially had it the worst out of all the show's characters, and IMO not even Homelander would deserve three straight decades of imprisonment and torturous experiments.

I do wonder how Soldier Boy was contained, though. Since he's supposed to be almost as strong as Homelander, it kind of defangs the impossible mission to kill/subdue the latter if it's as easy as drugging them into a docile state. Soldier Boy broke out of his physical restraints easily, so what was it keeping him locked in?

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 1

They wouldn't kill off Kimiko, would they??

Until Homelander served him a taco bowl I had no idea Supersonic was supposed to be Hispanic. I did wonder why he said his mother would never let him marry the whitest white girl in the world. 

I absolutely loved That Girl Is Poison playing when Kimiko stepped out of the car.

Our first single is DAMNNNNN Look at Dean Winchesters's Ass. (Sorry, Soldier Boy 😉)

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I'm willing to bet that was a body double's ass. First rule of celebrity nudity: if you don't see their face in the same shot, it's a body double.

That hamster gave me flashbacks of the "killer rabbit" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail ! Anyone else?

Yup! You beat me to it.

It looked to me like Hughie teleported out of his clothes rather than using superspeed.

I thought it looked like superspeed. I'd have to watch again but I could have sworn there was a visual trail from where he sped out of his clothes to wherever he went from there. If it was meant to be teleporting they did a bad job depicting it because it looked more like super speed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I'm willing to bet that was a body double's ass. First rule of celebrity nudity: if you don't see their face in the same shot, it's a body double

In the world of deep fakes where even someone with the most rudimentary skills can manipulate video,  seeing a face means nothing. Jensen has said on multiple occasions that he filmed this scene naked his first day on set. I believe him.

18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I thought it looked like superspeed. I'd have to watch again but I could have sworn there was a visual trail from where he sped out of his clothes to wherever he went from there. If it was meant to be teleporting they did a bad job depicting it because it looked more like super speed.

Spoiler

I also thought it was super speed, but it's been confirmed by Kripke himself it's teleportation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really hope Kimiko pulls through.  The show has fridged enough female characters.   

As per usual, I always like to point out that the show keeps the same energy for everyone. Shit, SuperSonic literally existed to further Starlight's arc through his death. People die in tv shows. On this show, people die a lot. It's not really a gender thing.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

They wouldn't kill off Kimiko, would they??

Until Homelander served him a taco bowl I had no idea Supersonic was supposed to be Hispanic. I did wonder why he said his mother would never let him marry the whitest white girl in the world. 

I absolutely loved That Girl Is Poison playing when Kimiko stepped out of the car.

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I'm willing to bet that was a body double's ass. First rule of celebrity nudity: if you don't see their face in the same shot, it's a body double.

Yup! You beat me to it.

I thought it was superspeed at first. But, I don't think how they filmed it is the issue looking back. It was more about how little distance there was to MM for me. Either way, they were trying demonstrate a blur effect in the path Hughie looked through. That's going to end up looking like speed and teleportation. I think that's why using a puff a smoke to illustrate the disappearance like with Nightcrawler in the X Men works better.

2 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

Moving forward, I really hope we're not supposed to just brush off and dismiss what Soldier Boy went through. He's officially had it the worst out of all the show's characters, and IMO not even Homelander would deserve three straight decades of imprisonment and torturous experiments.

It will be...by The Boys. Why would they give a shit? Especially MM and Butcher.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

In the world of deep fakes where even someone with the most rudimentary skills can manipulate video,  seeing a face means nothing. Jensen has said on multiple occasions that he filmed this scene naked his first day on set. I believe him.

Doesn’t mean someone doesn’t come along later and say, “His butt just isn’t perky enough. Bring in the butt double!”

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Under the “don’t eff with the money” rule, the next member who joins The Seven better have MBA as their super power…

"Having a lot of money is the best superpower." --Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, Ted Kord, Scrooge McDuck, etc.

Also, I wonder if Homelite tools exist in The Boys universe.  (This was either #homelight/"Homelander is a tool!" or a funny coincidence for my inner 5-year-old.)

Also, the way The Seven keep going through members, I wonder who would be the best next member.  Spider-Man would be an interesting choice, though they could use someone else who could fly.  Iron Man might fit?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

I do wonder how Soldier Boy was contained, though. Since he's supposed to be almost as strong as Homelander, it kind of defangs the impossible mission to kill/subdue the latter if it's as easy as drugging them into a docile state. Soldier Boy broke out of his physical restraints easily, so what was it keeping him locked in?

It was a cryogenic chamber. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

It will be...by The Boys. Why would they give a shit? Especially MM and Butcher.

I was talking about the narrative. I never suggested that the Boys themselves should give a shit.

26 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Still begs the question as to how they got Soldier Boy in there to begin with.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Like 3
(edited)
24 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

I was talking about the narrative. I never suggested that the Boys themselves should give a shit.

Still begs the question as to how they got Soldier Boy in there to begin with.

It was a plot, clearly. He could have been drugged. Or defected willingly, which would be a nice twist. Honestly except for the blast we don’t know how strong he is. He could be Maeve strong, not Homelander strong. 

honestly we don’t know how smart he is or if he is competent. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Doesn’t mean someone doesn’t come along later and say, “His butt just isn’t perky enough. Bring in the butt double!”

Yes, well I suppose that's possible for all the butts that we've seen on this show, but somehow I just have to believe that no butt doubles were necessary for any of them.

I'm thinking the real ones were all judged and considered plenty perky enough by who ever holds the position of Official Butt Judge on The Boys. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
12 minutes ago, Myrelle said:
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, well I suppose that's possible for all the butts that we've seen on this show, but somehow I just have to believe that no butt doubles were necessary for any of them.

The whole body double thing is much more common for women anyway. I'm not saying men don't use body doubles. It's just more rare.

• Useful 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I'm thinking the real ones were all judged and considered plenty perky enough by who ever holds the position of Official Butt Judge on The Boys. 

Can I volunteer for that position?  They won't even have to pay me.  Maybe I'll even pay them!😀

Edited by ahrtee
Second thoughts
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I don't know about (male) butt doubles, but I remember a story from some actor who was to have part of his butt appear and (since it was a network show) they decided to paint out his butt-crack; and then decided that looked really stupid and painted it back in again, and then (IIRC) scrapped the whole shot.  So maybe they'd just Photoshop instead of hiring a butt double.😊

(edited)
59 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Kripke said that he's as strong as Homelander.

Yeah, and literally the whole reason the Boys were after BCL Red was because if it could supposedly take out Soldier Boy, it could take out Homelander, too. If he's only Maeve-level, that kind of defeats the whole purpose.

And if Homelander and Soldier Boy can be easily subdued and stuffed in a cryo-pod, that'd also sort of defeat the purpose.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

"Having a lot of money is the best superpower." --Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, Ted Kord, Scrooge McDuck, etc.

“Man, money ain't got no owners, only spenders.”  - - Omar Little (The Wire)

Of the first two you mention I don’t know much about Mr Kord, likely so Mr. McDuck, they inherited their wealth. Tony Stark has several inventions/patents, Bruce Wayne has an entire R&D department helping to make money and no doubt all of their companies have extensive accounting departments and they probably all have personal accountants.

One thing about Vought in my mind is that at this point, It seems very few employees are extremely competent and without Edgar to keep Homelander in line, who would stay when you have a high possibility of being lazed in two during one of Homelander’s tirades. Now is a good time to put in your resignation…

• Like 5

There are plenty of examples of people hungry for money, fame, or proximity to power getting involved in sketchy operations to their regret despite the obvious dangers. I can easily see a lot of Vought employees thinking "it won't happen to me" right up to the minute they get splattered over the decor because Homelander read a mean tweet about himself.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Affogato said:

Isn't a cryogenic chamber where the person is frozen?

Soldier Boy sure defrosted quickly if he had been frozen. The power was out for maybe 30 minutes?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, MAK said:

Isn't a cryogenic chamber where the person is frozen?

Soldier Boy sure defrosted quickly if he had been frozen. The power was out for maybe 30 minutes?

Not to mention no loss of bulk or muscle tone after 30 years.  Ah, to be a superhero....

Edited by ahrtee
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Soldier Boy got for his birthday. You are talking about the one he was wearing in Russia?

No.  No complaints about the suit he got for his birthday.  Hoping to see more of that. 😍😍

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I thought only babies could take that reliably without dying and you had only a small chance of surviving when you were older.

Thought Stormfront was the first to take it? She was an adult. I'm pretty sure they gave it to Soldier Boy when he was an adult too. 

Their formula was probably evolving to develop specific powers so they experimented on babies who wouldn't need to consent/cooperate?