Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E15: Judge's Song Contest

• Start Topic

Gotta say, I'm genuinely surprised at which judges are picking some of these songs tonight. I kinda like that the judges have each had at least one song recommendation you wouldn't expect them to make. I do like how so many contestants kept guessing Katy for some of these songs, though - I was doing the same, honestly, with some of them :p. 

And for a second night in a row, Noah goes the more unpredictable route, and good for him. It does seem to be a strategy that's working for him. I was amused, though, at how one minute he's talking about loving John Mayer's music and then the next he's talking about how he's not familiar with these songs :p. I'm not even a Mayer fan and I know those songs - it's been a while since I heard "Heartbreak Warfare". But yeah, I do think he did a decent job on that song. 

Regarding Nicolina, my mom said that the song seemed a bit low for her, and I kind of tend to agree. I'm all for seeing her singing something other than her usual dramatic ballads, just to see her move outside her wheelhouse a bit, but I don't know if that song was the best choice. 

And Fritz...that was perhaps the most indie-sounding version of "Wonderwall" imaginable :p. 

ETA: I can't hear "Make You Feel My Love" without getting a bit choked up now, 'cause I just keep thinking of the episode of "Glee" where they paid tribute to Finn and Rachel sang this song, Leah's version was nice, I rather liked that performance. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I think Tristen made a mistake weeks ago by ditching his guitar, at the behest of the judges. And I would've  picked maybe a Creedence Clearwater Revival song. But he was good. Not great. 

Emerson has a simply lovely voice and appearance, but I'm still partial to Nicolina. I await her inner Rock Chick to fully emerge!

Loved Jay. He could sing the Johnny Mathis catalogue for me!

Fritz was excellent. He's growing on me. 

He and Nicolina just might be the last two standing. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I think Tristen made a mistake weeks ago by ditching his guitar, at the behest of the judges. And I would've  picked maybe a Creedence Clearwater Revival song. But he was good. Not great. 

He was just running all over that stage, my goodness :p. I agree a Creedence song might've worked. I also would've been interested to hear him sing "Paint It Black". But he was clearly having fun, so...

8 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Loved Jay. He could sing the Johnny Mathis catalogue for me!

...oh. Oh, yes. I would be all for that. Especially based off his performance tonight, I could definitely hear him doing a Mathis song justice. 

Yeah. He sounded great tonight, I agree with Katy that that was probably his best performance yet on this show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Wow, Jay!!  Beautiful.

Leah Marlene did great also.  Now if she could tone down the goofiness.  Reminds me of Kate McKinnon on SNL doing a skit.

Love Mike, so mature and sincere.  Sooo good lookin!  I don't think he's country though.

Edited by SnarkAttack
  • Love 8

Well, that's that. America just didn't  warm up to Tristen. 

I turned the show off before seeing the Judges' Save of Lady K. It won't help [See: Tristen]. 

I'll note that the first two named were....Fritz and Nicolina! J/S. 😉 😎

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

Nobody sounded good tonight. 
(After reading other responses, I agree that Jay’s voice was beautiful on that song, but it was a snooze fest and I totally forgot about it. As for the rest—a lot of the front runners hit some bum notes.) 

And that move Tristen did of dropping to his knees was painful to watch. Ah, youth. 

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
  • Love 2

Jay was amazing and I loved his look.  

Tristen deserved to be voted out as that performance was a nightmare both vocally and his Mick Jagger imitation was just lame.

This is the second time Nicolina was barely audible at the beginning of that song or is she starting too low?  She sings beautifully though.  I think she started last night the same way.  

Leah gets on my last nerve with her antics.  

Not looking forward to Disney songs!

• Love 5

I thought having the judges pick songs for them to choose from was a fun idea, overall.

My favorite performance was Noah. I also liked Fritz, and both of them are really cute and likable--Noah's probably my favorite one left at this point, although I'd be happy for Nicolina if she (miraculously) managed it. Unfortunately, that was probably Nicolina's weakest performance thus far--the band just drowned her out, imo--but she was right to pick the more upbeat option after two ballads.

Jay's performance was boring, but he ended it very well. Emyrson was terrible (even more than usual) and I'm glad Tristen finally went. Lady K picked the song I wanted her to pick of those three (love "traitor"), and she was...fine, but I just ain't feeling strongly about her the way I did Katyrah and Allegra.

India Carney! I don't watch most seasons of The Voice, but I watched that season because Christina was back and she was the one I rooted for (liked Sawyer, the winner, too, though).

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

l also would've been interested to hear him sing "Paint It Black

I was yelling at him to pick it! Lol. I like the kid. I think he's genuine if nothing else. I pictured him doing a toned down anti-Tristen version. With his look I think he could have slayed it. But he reverted back to his over the top audition like theatrics and I think the judges were just done. 

• Love 8

I'm here for Leah, personality and all.

Leah for the win!

I liked the game aspect of this episode.

I loved Fritz bringing up a Lionel Ritchie Hello doormat. Apparently  sellers on Etsy have already caught on to that idea. I just might order one for myself. 

Christian bores me and I wish he would have been eliminated instead of Tristen. 

Lastly, I'm not liking the plaid double-breasted suits Ryan has been wearing this season. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought having the judges pick songs for them to choose from was a fun idea, overall.

My favorite performance was Laine. I also liked Fritz, and both of them are really cute and likable--Laine's probably my favorite one left at this point, although I'd be happy for Nicolina if she (miraculously) managed it. Unfortunately, that was probably Nicolina's weakest performance thus far--the band just drowned her out, imo--but she was right to pick the more upbeat option after two ballads.

Jay's performance was boring, but he ended it very well. Emyrson was terrible (even more than usual) and I'm glad Tristen finally went. Lady K picked the song I wanted her to pick of those three (love "traitor"), and she was...fine, but I just ain't feeling strongly about her the way I did Katyrah and Allegra.

India Carney! I don't watch most seasons of The Voice, but I watched that season because Christina was back and she was the one I rooted for (liked Sawyer, the winner, too, though).

I don't  think there's a "Laine."

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4

Oh, my bad, I meant Noah. I keep getting those two names mixed up and having to correct. I think it's because in my head I keep thinking of him as similar to Laine, as far as being the only two country guys Idol's found all these years with voices that I've liked. I might go so far as to say I like Noah better than Laine at this point; I enjoy his song choices more, anyway.

Going outside Idol comparisons, his voice reminds me a bit of Sam Hunt.

• Love 4

Super long time lurker of this whole forum but I have never posted…so Hi!

I think this season is really great. Even my non favs have impressed me as the show progresses. I’m a Noah girl for sure, I love his rasp. I so want him to sing Lady May by Tyler Childers. Second, I’m in love with Mike and third, surprisingly is Leah. I do think it’s funny that Hollywood is all “be who you are” and then when they get a hold of her they style her to look fairly normal.  Hypocrites for sure. But she really is a beautiful girl and she can SANG!
Thats it for now….off to post in other threads..haha!

• Love 9
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Oh, my bad, I meant Noah. I keep getting those two names mixed up and having to correct. I think it's because in my head I keep thinking of him as similar to Laine, as far as being the only two country guys Idol's found all these years with voices that I've liked. I might go so far as to say I like Noah better than Laine at this point; I enjoy his song choices more, anyway.

Going outside Idol comparisons, his voice reminds me a bit of Sam Hunt.

Lol now that you say it they are similar.

• Love 1

It's almost like the judges sabotaged Noah.  That song choice was DREADFUL.  I didn't fast forward any performance until I got to him and I always listen to him.  But that John Mayer song from him I couldn't bear.

I mean, I even listened all the way through Mike and Huntergirl's performances. 

I really appreciated seeing all 3 choices for each contestant.

Okay I had to skip Leah Marlene too.  No thanks LOL after 1 sentence I was like I'm out.  I wish she did one of the other songs but whatever.  It's not like I would have liked them anyway (who knows?)  I can't seem to bear her.

Say what you will about Tristen.................... This kid loves music and he loved those song choices and he went nuts with it.  LOL.  Good for him.  "He understood the assignment" as the hip young ones say.  LOL

I loved Emyrson's performance.  She pretty much can't do wrong for me because I just like her style.  I even love what she wore.  I liked her better than Olivia last week and this week I like her singing better than Billie's - it's just really interesting to me.  It was good that she went with the song that she really felt deeply, you could tell.  She's making me see that song in a different light now.

I wanted Jay to pick that Usher song but he's smarter than me because he picked something way more challenging/different for himself.  I don't know that song at all.  I liked what those coaches said about him, that he's a quick study.  The light show for him was so cool.  Good for him, he's performing as well as the judges saw in him from before.  If they're bus running Noah then they're pimping Jay.  "One of the best performances I've ever seen in my life" LOL.  Ok.  Ok.

I complain about this show after Hollywood Week but they really got me interested this week.  It should always be Judges' Song choice.  These kids are too young to pick things.  LOL. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I think that whatever happens with Mike that Luke will take him under his wing, perhaps even have him appear on some of his tour dates.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Jimmy Allen helped him along too.  

• Love 4

Did the show go over?  My PVR cut off who was saved.  LOL.  Oh boy.

14 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Not looking forward to Disney songs!

Me neither AT ALL.

11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

YES.  I liked him at first.  KEY WORDS BEING AT FIRST.  But now every performance is just the same saccharine crap.  Always with the cliched song choices.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

YES.  I liked him at first.  KEY WORDS BEING AT FIRST.  But now every performance is just the same saccharine crap.  Always with the cliched song choices.  

I actually thought Christian was really good this week, but I'm a little bored of him as well.  He was so great in that duet of The Prayer with Nicolina in Hollywood week, but I don't think he's come close to that since.  He seems like a really nice kid, but he is somewhat limited in what he can do, and probably should be one of the next few to be voted off.

I was also impressed by Emyrson, who I have not liked at all previously.  But she was smart to pick a Billie Eilish song.  I think Eilish is a great songwriter, but not a particularly good singer, so I think it's easy to outshine the original if you do one of her songs.

I think Jay bought himself a couple of extra weeks with his performance too.  I don't know that song, but I thought he was pretty great.  I've found him disappointing since his audition.

Nicolina has been the standout for me all season, but she was not good this week.  She can probably handle more upbeat rock-ish songs, but that one was not it.

It's a pretty strong group overall, and I don't really see an obvious front runner this season.

I thought the judges contest or whatever they called it would be a stupid gimmick, but I found it enjoyable.  I think the judges gave them good choices overall, and I found it interesting to see how the contestants decided what to sing.

Edited by paul4295
Additional point I forgot
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, paul4295 said:

I thought the judges contest or whatever they called it would be a stupid gimmick, but I found it enjoyable.  I think the judges gave them good choices overall, and I found it interesting to see how the contestants decided what to sing.

I agree with all your observations. I didn't mind the 'song competition', as long as it doesn't become a regular feature (like, more than one episode). You sure could tell that Lionel hasn't really listened to any music since about 1980, though.

I left the room before the last performance, but came in to hear Jay's last 15 seconds or so. I've never voted for him before- too many runs, boring song choices, lack of connection- but I gave him the max votes for that. Where has that Jay been? Really nuanced, perfect phrasing, effortless/restrained ornamentation-just beautiful. 

I thought Nicolina has never sounded worse, although Emyrson was not far behind. Also, what's up with the stylists trying to make Emyrson look like a 45 year old socialite?

Poor Tristen, that had to sting. I did wonder about the wisdom of picking 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', though- sort of the equivalent of all the past Idol contestants who chose 'Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me', and then got the boot.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Boudreaux said:

Super long time lurker of this whole forum but I have never posted…so Hi!

Just want to say hello, and welcome to the discussion :)! Have fun poking about through the threads and commenting!

• Love 4

Emyrson's weird looks to the side and smiles during her performances are starting to annoy me.

I thought that was Mike's worse performance. And a Morgan Wallen song, like girl lol. I'm surprised he made it through.

I liked Leah's performance a lot. It's so weird, one week I'll love her and the next she'll literally make my ears hurt.

Overall, I thought it was a really fun night with a lot of great performances. I even watched some of the judges! Katy's 'I think you need to wikipedia me' to Noah was hilarious.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's almost like the judges sabotaged Noah.  That song choice was DREADFUL.  I didn't fast forward any performance until I got to him and I always listen to him.  But that John Mayer song from him I couldn't bear.

I mean, I even listened all the way through Mike and Huntergirl's performances. 

I really appreciated seeing all 3 choices for each contestant.

Okay I had to skip Leah Marlene too.  No thanks LOL after 1 sentence I was like I'm out.  I wish she did one of the other songs but whatever.  It's not like I would have liked them anyway (who knows?)  I can't seem to bear her.

Say what you will about Tristen.................... This kid loves music and he loved those song choices and he went nuts with it.  LOL.  Good for him.  "He understood the assignment" as the hip young ones say.  LOL

I loved Emyrson's performance.  She pretty much can't do wrong for me because I just like her style.  I even love what she wore.  I liked her better than Olivia last week and this week I like her singing better than Billie's - it's just really interesting to me.  It was good that she went with the song that she really felt deeply, you could tell.  She's making me see that song in a different light now.

I wanted Jay to pick that Usher song but he's smarter than me because he picked something way more challenging/different for himself.  I don't know that song at all.  I liked what those coaches said about him, that he's a quick study.  The light show for him was so cool.  Good for him, he's performing as well as the judges saw in him from before.  If they're bus running Noah then they're pimping Jay.  "One of the best performances I've ever seen in my life" LOL.  Ok.  Ok.

I complain about this show after Hollywood Week but they really got me interested this week.  It should always be Judges' Song choice.  These kids are too young to pick things.  LOL. 

I thought I was pretty familiar with Mayers catalogue but I didn’t even know that song.  I’m so old.  The lyrics did repeat alot but thought he did a good job.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Emyrson's weird looks to the side and smiles during her performances are starting to annoy me.

I thought that was Mike's worse performance. And a Morgan Wallen song, like girl lol. I'm surprised he made it through.

I liked Leah's performance a lot. It's so weird, one week I'll love her and the next she'll literally make my ears hurt.

Overall, I thought it was a really fun night with a lot of great performances. I even watched some of the judges! Katy's 'I think you need to wikipedia me' to Noah was hilarious.

Everyone is talking like the performances affect the voting but --- wasn't it determined that the votes come in during the show and therefore BEFORE most performances?

What was the Wikipedia thing in reference to?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I thought I was pretty familiar with Mayers catalogue but I didn’t even know that song.  I’m so old.  The lyrics did repeat alot but thought he did a good job.  

I've heard a lot of his songs due to overplay ("Your Body is a Wonderland," "Daughters," "Free Fallin'," the oh-so-horrible "Waiting on the World to Change") and yet I still didn't know either of those songs they picked for him. I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up loving Noah's performance. I liked when Allegra did "Free Fallin'," too, although not as much, and I've never liked that song. A good voice can elevate bad songs, I guess. Always hated Mayer's voice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What was the Wikipedia thing in reference to?

She dated John Mayer for a while after her divorce from Russell Brand. Her Wikipedia page actually doesn't say how it went, but Mayer's known for a long string of short-term affairs with famous beauties.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

She dated John Mayer for a while after her divorce from Russell Brand. Her Wikipedia page actually doesn't say how it went, but Mayer's known for a long string of short-term affairs with famous beauties.

Thank you!  I found more quotes about this here:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/katy-perry-reacts-to-american-idol-hopeful-singing-john-mayer/

Also, I'm so proud of Wikipedia that they have become a verb now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 4/25/2022 at 9:13 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Tristen deserved to be voted out as that performance was a nightmare both vocally and his Mick Jagger imitation was just lame.

Yes, Tristen's performance made me miss Simon Cowell, who would have told him how awful it was. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Tristen reminded me of a little kid getting tangled in the sheets hung on the clothesline.  He was just swirling around to the point I thought he would get tangled and fall down.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

So many of these people are so, so boring. Christian and I’m sorry, Nicolina. Why would I want to listen to either one of them sing anything? So many other people do the exact same thing, but better. 

I liked that the contestants got to choose what to sing. Regardless of whether it’s picked by a judge, bad song choice will send you home. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought Jay was extremely overrated all season long but he finally gave a good (technically good, still kinda boring) performance so that's cool

Tristen... man, I gotta appreciate his energy but the judges were right the whole time, just dial it back like 33.333% and he'd be so much better off.  That song did not need all the "C'MON" and "YEAH!" and insane twirling.  Maybe with a Guns'n'Roses song or an Aerosmith song he could've made it work, I dunno, but overall I think his performances are bonkers in an off-putting way.

I didn't enjoy Leah Marlene's performance but the comparisons to Alison Krauss are pretty apt.  I don't like Alison Krauss either lol

• Love 2

I would love to see Nicolina sing a Heart song. I think she could do Ann Wilson justice. I'm torn, because she's my favorite, but I'm not sure I can see myself listening to her on the radio.

Some performances were surprisingly good, some were surprisingly disappointing, but it was a good show overall. Best so far, as they say.

Edited by ForReal
Fixed auto-correct, oof!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/25/2022 at 6:57 PM, SnarkAttack said:

Love Mike, so mature and sincere.  Sooo good lookin!  I don't think he's country though.

Same. He sounds like John Legend to me. I would love to hear him sing something of his. It just feels like an act he is putting on because Luke told him to do it. I am all for making this genre of music more inclusive, but I just don't think he's the one to do it.

I absolutely loved Nicolina as usual. And Jay, which is surprising. This is the first time I saw his potential that the judges have been going on about. He was fantastic and understated. Best performance all season for him. It was great to see another side of Nicolina. She needed to do something different than another big ballad and she did Kelly proud. Unlike Tristen who was an absolute disaster with Adam Lambert, and I have no idea what the hell he was doing Monday night. Not one bit surprised he went home. He needed to remember this is still a singing competition - if the flailing impedes the singing settle down!

I just cannot stand  listening to Emerson or Leah. I don't like the sound of their voices, and the way both of the them dress is very distracting. Why are they dressing Emerson like an old lady? Those pant suits! Bwah ha ha!!!!!!! Leah is just that quirky girl I want to side eye for trying too hard. Emerson sounds too shouty and that slurry cry in her voice is not something I want to hear. She sounds like at least 10 other girls on the radio right now, and I'm over it. Leah on the other hand has such a high pitch goat-like bleaty voice I am immediately cringing as soon as she starts. I just can't . They'll probably be top three with my luck.

I still feel like Noah is winning this thing. He continues to surprise with the song choices. So glad he pick John Mayer. I don't like country, but dang it, he's making me like him because of his song choices. It's interesting that Mike is leaning hard into country and still sounds like a phony, but Noah routinely picks non-country songs that immediately sound country because of his voice.

I totally want Christian's jacket and Lady K's jumpsuit. I have nowhere to wear them, but I loved them both. ;-p

• Love 5
20 hours ago, sempervivum said:

No kidding I had totally forgotten about him and KP.  There are so many. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Tristen...needed to remember this is still a singing competition - if the flailing impedes the singing settle down!

I just cannot stand  listening to Emerson or Leah. I don't like the sound of their voices, and the way both of the them dress is very distracting. Why are they dressing Emerson like an old lady? Those pant suits! Bwah ha ha!!!!!!! Leah is just that quirky girl I want to side eye for trying too hard. Emerson sounds too shouty and that slurry cry in her voice is not something I want to hear. She sounds like at least 10 other girls on the radio right now, and I'm over it. Leah on the other hand has such a high pitch goat-like bleaty voice I am immediately cringing as soon as she starts. I just can't . 

I still feel like Noah is winning this thing. He continues to surprise with the song choices. So glad he pick John Mayer. I don't like country, but dang it, he's making me like him because of his song choices. It's interesting that Mike is leaning hard into country and still sounds like a phony, but Noah routinely picks non-country songs that immediately sound country because of his voice.

Slurry cry is the perfect way to describe that style of singing, if you can call it a style, and I'm over it, too. Leah can sound surprisingly good when she dials back the quirk, but she doesn't do that often enough.

Totally agree on your points about Nick and Mike. I like Nick more than I ever thought I would, and I feel like I could like Mike a lot more if he just did...something else. He has no country in his voice when he speaks, so there's none to hear when he sings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

Slurry cry is the perfect way to describe that style of singing,

I blame Ariana Grande for that style of singing. I think the word I needed for Leah is shrill.

Edited by Ilovepie
14 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Tristen reminded me of a little kid getting tangled in the sheets hung on the clothesline.  He was just swirling around to the point I thought he would get tangled and fall down.  

Well he is just a kid, 17. And yes, he could have easily fallen, wearing those man-heels. 😄

10 hours ago, ForReal said:

I would love to see Nicotine sing a Heart song. I think she could do Ann Wilson justice. I'm torn, because she's my favorite, but I'm not sure I can see myself listening to her on the radio.

Bolded mine.

Was that auto-correct? Hilarious! 

7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Leah on the other hand has such a high pitch goat-like bleaty voice I am immediately cringing as soon as she starts. I just can't .

Take that back! 

Lol...I love that girl. And the very first time I heard her sing (audition) and every performance thereafter, I have said to my family, "I love the tone of her voice."

Guess I'm a sucker for screechy goats. 😂

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I blame Ariana Grande for that style of singing. I think the word I needed for Leah is shrill.

What can I say....I love Ariana too. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

In my mind, Jay has jumped ahead by leaps and bounds with his gorgeous rendition of Lilac Wine. It's hard to go head to head with Jeff Buckley, but Jay gave it feeling, elegance, and sheer vocal perfection. I confess that I have watched this performance about 25 times on Youtube. It is probably one of the top three Idol performances that I've ever seen, personally. Would someone please give this boy a big role in a Broadway musical? He'd crush it!

• Love 8

I wouldn't say I'm hard to please, but this season is boring me to death. It seems every year when it's around the Top 40, the talent pool seems really deep and then they cut it half and it sucks. It seems pretty hard to find anyone likeable when they have one minute or less camera time to talk per week and then sing someone else's song (a worse version in nearly all cases). There's as much emotional investment as asking a cleaning lady to pick her favorite rag.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

It seems pretty hard to find anyone likeable when they have one minute or less camera time to talk per week and then sing someone else's song

It's interesting to see on Wikipedia that the old Fox Idol schedule ran from mid-January to mid-May; in 2010, there were 43 episodes. The ABC version has run generally mid-March thru mid-May, with between 16-19 episodes. That's waaay less time for the audience to bond with contestants, and waaaay less time for the contestants to 'grow' and become interesting. Once other singing competitions appeared, the showrunners were forced to prioritize elements that brought in the best ratings, ie the auditions. The audience simply doesn't want to invest four whole months watching top 9 become top 8, etc. anymore. And the pool of quality, undiscovered talent is diluted by the other show(s).

I'll still watch as long as it exists, though!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

It's interesting to see on Wikipedia that the old Fox Idol schedule ran from mid-January to mid-May; in 2010, there were 43 episodes. The ABC version has run generally mid-March thru mid-May, with between 16-19 episodes. That's waaay less time for the audience to bond with contestants, and waaaay less time for the contestants to 'grow' and become interesting. Once other singing competitions appeared, the showrunners were forced to prioritize elements that brought in the best ratings, ie the auditions. The audience simply doesn't want to invest four whole months watching top 9 become top 8, etc. anymore. And the pool of quality, undiscovered talent is diluted by the other show(s).

I'll still watch as long as it exists, though!

That seems a little backwards because the main draw in the early years of Idol was the auditions because there were weird people and the judges acting rude, as well as seeing a full arena of people auditioning actually gave you the impression that making it through meant something. Compare that to now where 90% of people shown on TV make it through, there's no one interesting, the amount of contestants seem to fill up an identical looking rooftop, and everyone is so soft that being told they can't sing would likely result in suicide. Also, so many of the contestants seem to appear on other shows - Christian Guardino for example was on AGT a few years ago (possibly the only show that guarantees even more career irrelevance than Idol).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1