Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Growing Pains

• Start Topic

While Drs. Lim, Murphy and Wolke help a teenage “biohacker” whose self- experiments begin to compromise his health, Drs. Morgan, Park, Jordan and Glassman treat a young woman who wants a controversial surgery to treat her depression and chronic pain. Additionally, Dr. Reznick looks to take the next step in her relationship with Dr. Park.

Original airdate: 4/4/22

(edited)

The third medical show within the recent past with a conservatorship themed episode. Hello again, Britney.

Park & Reznick living together with Reznick footing most of the bills. What could possibly go wrong?  The shirtless perks will soon run out.

Is biohacking a real thing? What the kid was doing to himself, I call body mutilation.

The rest of the episode was MEH.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Is biohacking a real thing? What the kid was doing to himself, I call body mutilation.

I wondered about that, too. I did like that storyline, and how Shaun tried to deal with both the mom and her son and their issues.

Also like Jordan and Lea becoming better friends. And I love that Lim was a goth in her teen years :D. I could see that. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, preeya said:

The third medical show within the recent past with a conservatorship themed episode. Hello again, Britney.

And the second show to showcase some experimental procedure about zapping depression out of the brain (obviously with a better scientific explanation than that). Does this show share writers with The Resident, because this is not the first time they've had very similar cases only a few weeks apart.

I like Jordan and Lea's partnership, but what are they making exactly? A sensor you swallow so it can send data about how fast you are digesting stuff? Is there a need for that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This episode was just meh. At least they sort of referred to Shaun taking off his mask when he is home, but handled it incredibly clunkily

3 hours ago, preeya said:

I've heard of it - mostly people experimenting by implanting RFID chips. I think someone implanted an NFC chip to see if they could tap to pay without having a card/phone on them? I think biohacking also extends to people doing DIY... treatments i.e. nootropics and attempting fecal transplants

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I like Jordan and Lea's partnership, but what are they making exactly? A sensor you swallow so it can send data about how fast you are digesting stuff? Is there a need for that?

I believe sensors like that are actually needed - but their solution at the end of the episode was not a good one, since it is going to miss half of everything by just extrapolating based on what has already been seen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

This episode was just meh. At least they sort of referred to Shaun taking off his mask when he is home, but handled it incredibly clunkily

I've heard of it - mostly people experimenting by implanting RFID chips. I think someone implanted an NFC chip to see if they could tap to pay without having a card/phone on them? I think biohacking also extends to people doing DIY... treatments i.e. nootropics and attempting fecal transplants

I believe sensors like that are actually needed - but their solution at the end of the episode was not a good one, since it is going to miss half of everything by just extrapolating based on what has already been seen.

wait, what? fecal transplants?

i usually love this show but the only thing i liked was Leah and Jordan having a fun moment together in the beginning.

So, the boy's mother took out a 2nd mortgage on her house to enable this operation?

i still don't like Reznick.

• Love 5

I swear, if I ever have to go into surgery, I am going to have a lawyer draft a legal document that requires my doctors and surgeons to not put their personal crap all over my medical treatment. Just fix my damn arm, don't turn it into some whole ethical debate that is actually about your daddy issues. What was Asher's problem all episode? I kept waiting for him to explain why he thinks the idea of biohacking is so awful, it seemed like it wasn't even just the kid hurting himself while trying to augment himself (a legit issue) and more that the very idea was insane. 

That being said, I actually did find Shaun's excitement about the teens implants to be rather endearing, its the most interested he has been in medicine in awhile. I liked his connect with the teen and finding a way for the mom and son to bond, it seemed to be a real lack of communication between the two of them that was the real problem, not the kids interest in becoming a cyborg. Mom was pulling an "because I said so" because she was dealing with her marriage ending and the son was reading that as his mom being mad at him. Biohacking is definitely a thing, although I am not sure if most of it is as advanced as what we saw here, most people just add in chips and such to see if they can do anything cool. I know a lot of people think its weird and creepy, but you could probably make a case that its just a variation of getting a prosthetic limb. I am rather concerned about that second mortgage though.

"My mom got to you."

"She tried to get to me but it didn't work. Then she went to my boss and he got to me."

Its that kind of honestly that we love, Shaun.

Our other "because I said so" case was between a sister and brother, and its also a major lack of communication, the brother thinks that his sister is incapable of making her own choices while the sister is tired of being treated like a child even after she has matured since she was a wild teen. 

I don't really know what Jordan and Lea are doing, but good on them for partnering up for something.

• Love 5

The conservatorship storyline was certainly a timely one, I see.  Although they did make sure to show that the brother wasn't meaning to be controlling, but truly thought he was protecting her by taking over like he did.  Still, it kind of shows that the whole idea is very dicey: no matter what the intentions are by the one who holds that kind of power.  At least it seems that the surgery went well and they are now taking steps to ending it.

Definitely not surprised that biohacking and human modding is a thing: especially with how popular the sci-fi genre is (although if you mod and start driving vespas Book of Boba Fett-style, you might get some side-eyes!)  I did like seeing Shaun excited by that idea and what that means on a medial/engineer level.  The issues between the mom and son held no surprises (it was clear as day that it was going to end up being that the father actually left and she didn't just kick him out), but I did like it was Shaun's honest and blunt questioning of their behaviors that finally got them to talk.  Hey, if this who surgeon thing doesn't work out for him, maybe Shaun has a calling as a mediator!  A very blunt one at that!

Park and Reznick are now officially moving in together, but she'll be paying the rent since he's swamped with loans, debts, and trying to help his son get to college.  They seem to be happy with the resolution for now, but realistically, I can see this issue popping back up again.

Lea and Jordan's friendship has moved them going into a side business together, I see.  Shaun's even opening up and letting Jordan work at their apartment!  As long as she follows the rules!  Including never making eye contact with him!

• Love 2

I lived with someone who didn't like eye contact. It's not a big deal. You just have to get used to it and then it's easy to accommodate.

I don't understand why Park can afford a solo rent but not half of a shared one. I guess Reznik must have been looking at radically more expensive rentals, but she ought to be able to compromise and find something they both can afford, if her motive is genuinely to live together and not to put him in a pumpkin shell.

Especially if they aren't getting married, this seems to me like a set up for her to control everything, and he has no rights, and I don't have a good feeling about it because it's not like she's good at compromise.

It's certainly possible to have a relationship where one partner makes more money and pays more than half the bills, but the way they set it up, Park is being asked to pay by doing chores and it's not an equal burden when she's setting the terms and controlling everything. I don't think it will go well. He'll be tired, he'll feel obligated, she'll be feeling entitled and able to make demands. It's set up for a power differential, and she tied to guilt him into it rather than showing care about his concerns. 

I don't get how people can be so stupid in their relationships that they don't talk AT ALL when it's OBVIOUS and even life-threatening not to. Both cases of the week exemplified this and I thought they were way too sympathetic to the brother who seemed to be more into control than helping.

• Love 2

These shows that have surgeons doing psychiatry with no training -- would it be equally okay if a psychiatrist picked up a scalpel and said "I'm going to cut now."

Both of those patients had either more psychiatric options (the young woman) or needed psychiatric help (biohacker boy; depressed woman and her brother).

Do these doctors have nothing to talk about during surgery or giving tests except their personal issues? Small minds talk about people, great minds talk about ideas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Eventually, something will happen with Jordan being at the apartment that will set Shaun off and we’ll be back to square one on that, so to say. Hopefully I am wrong about that because if Lea wants to have her over to help with work, she should be able to do that.

I don’t understand biohacking, but the very thought of modifying my own body is terrifying to me. 

When they showed Kayla, the patient who had OD’d and had DUI’s in her past, I said “Hey, that’s Annalisa Cochrane!” She’s a talented actress who also plays Yasmine on Cobra Kai.

I did laugh at how Shaun gave Jordan and Lea that idea just from walking through to the fridge. :P

Edited by Virtual
Meant to say Lea instead of Lim in last paragraph ;)
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 11:43 PM, KaveDweller said:

Just one more way to collect and sell personal data. Women who have periods already have their private information all over, now how may times and all the information about poop will be available too.

The episode, if you ignore how people have experimental surgeries on the same day as they are informed of the possibility, wasn't the worst of them all.

But Shaun saying that he will not discuss his PJ but is ready to discuss his sex life...

Irritating how this and other shows value people by the amount of money they make. Success on TV equals looks, power and wealth. Period. To me, this is all disgusting.

• Love 1

The disparity in current financial situations would be a non-issue in most relationships.

Park is only temporarily having financial issues because he is still in training and so his salary is not as high as it will be. Whatever contribution to tuition will also end in a few years and while debt for medical school is real, it is not as if he is an Art History BA with $200,000 in student loans to pay off.

At some point his financial situation will greatly improve and unless Reznick is an heiress they will have more or less comparable earnings and assets. And people do get married to people with family money without issues anyway. It is not as if Park is some deadbeat - he is a doctor who will be at the very worst an upper income professional. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

They aren't getting married, though, are they? I think it makes a difference, especially legally. Also, Reznik framed it as he'd pay her in services, not in terms of "we're a team, we pool resources; don't worry."

That was kind of weird...

• Love 2
On 4/5/2022 at 12:51 AM, bros402 said:

I think someone implanted an NFC chip to see if they could tap to pay without having a card/phone on them?

That’s what the kid said. But all sorts of lifesaving devices are already inside folks. I’m thinking of pacemakers. That really creeps me out: someone’s angry with you, pull out the cell phone, turn off your device. I’d be more worried about the tech hackers hacking the biohacking devices. Instead of putting his ID in his finger, where anyone can get close and scan it, put it in a protective case/wallet. At least it won’t cause sepsis! It was really funny though, how Sean was so into it. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Virtual said:

Eventually, something will happen with Jordan being at the apartment that will set Shaun off and we’ll be back to square one on that, so to say. Hopefully I am wrong about that because if Lea wants to have her over to help with work, she should be able to do that.

Lea should be able to have her over, but you would also think that since Jordan lives alone, maybe they could occasionally work at her place?

10 hours ago, amarante said:

The disparity in current financial situations would be a non-issue in most relationships.

Park is only temporarily having financial issues because he is still in training and so his salary is not as high as it will be. Whatever contribution to tuition will also end in a few years and while debt for medical school is real, it is not as if he is an Art History BA with $200,000 in student loans to pay off.

At some point his financial situation will greatly improve and unless Reznick is an heiress they will have more or less comparable earnings and assets. And people do get married to people with family money without issues anyway. It is not as if Park is some deadbeat - he is a doctor who will be at the very worst an upper income professional. 

I thought they were implying Reznick did have family money. Park said something about how she didn't have to worry about money. And while she doesn't have a kid to put through college, her income can't be that much more than Park. And her parents are famous artists or something, right?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Lea should be able to have her over, but you would also think that since Jordan lives alone, maybe they could occasionally work at her place?

I thought they were implying Reznick did have family money. Park said something about how she didn't have to worry about money. And while she doesn't have a kid to put through college, her income can't be that much more than Park. And her parents are famous artists or something, right?

She might have family money so she isn't living completely on her earnings.

However Park isn't the kind of neer-do-well who is generally seen as a gold digger. 

I just don't see finances as being a factor in their future relationship since he is going to be an upper income professional in a few years and if she inherits anything significant it is very simple to prevent that from being a factor since inherited wealth isn't part of the marital estate after marriage - it is always separate property.

Reznik has never been seen to be particularly driven by wealth - Sure people can have all kinds of issues but in general most people do not have issues when there is a marriage between two doctors but one of them may have some amount of family wealth which they might inherit eventually.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, amarante said:

However Park isn't the kind of neer-do-well who is generally seen as a gold digger. 

I just don't see finances as being a factor in their future relationship since he is going to be an upper income professional in a few years and if she inherits anything significant it is very simple to prevent that from being a factor since inherited wealth isn't part of the marital estate after marriage - it is always separate property.

Reznik has never been seen to be particularly driven by wealth - Sure people can have all kinds of issues but in general most people do not have issues when there is a marriage between two doctors but one of them may have some amount of family wealth which they might inherit eventually.

I agree, Park does not seem like a gold digger and Reznik doesn't seem driven by wealth. And in real life, finances would not be a factor in their relationship long term. As you said, he is going to be a doctor, and his kid is going to become an adult and not need his support. But this is TV-land, so normal rules may not apply. Everything is more dramatic on TV.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree, Park does not seem like a gold digger and Reznik doesn't seem driven by wealth. And in real life, finances would not be a factor in their relationship long term. As you said, he is going to be a doctor, and his kid is going to become an adult and not need his support. But this is TV-land, so normal rules may not apply. Everything is more dramatic on TV.

Oh for sure these are just piffling soap operas with some medical stuff thrown in so most of the time I don't give it much thought.

I don't know whether the writers just threw the economic issue in as a one-off in terms of being the "D" story with no long term significance or if they are going to try to milk it as something that has some kind of significance. They need some kind of "human interest" story so this one kind of arbitrarily was plucked.

I could see financial issues being an issue short term because it is kind of embarrassing to have to admit that one's finances are messy but in the long term finances wouldn't be a factor for two doctors with brilliant careers theoretically ahead of them even if one of them inherits some amount of wealth.

• Love 1

I've been in relationships where the fact that the other person could afford what I couldn't became an issue because I felt trapped and in over my head. So that colors my reaction. I've also been in relationships where it wasn't a problem, so I know it can also work just fine.

But regardless of my own issues, it's also that I feel like Reznik is not that trustworthy. I don't think she's driven by money but she is driven by getting her own way. So I see that as being a source of conflict if Park doesn't like something that's happening and she can just veto his objections because she feels entitled to do whatever she wants "because I'm paying for it". It's not that I think he's a gold digger or that she's motivated by money. It's that I think that any power differential will work to her advantage, whatever the source.

Also, I just don't like her. I can't imagine anyone actually being happy in a relationship with her, so of course I think they're doomed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The conservatorship storyline was certainly a timely one, I see.  Although they did make sure to show that the brother wasn't meaning to be controlling, but truly thought he was protecting her by taking over like he did.  Still, it kind of shows that the whole idea is very dicey: no matter what the intentions are by the one who holds that kind of power.  At least it seems that the surgery went well and they are now taking steps to ending it.

Only on TV does someone wake up from experimental brain surgery capable of having a cogent conversation about detecting no pain and no sadness. Way to wrap things up quickly.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:25 PM, possibilities said:

I don't understand why Park can afford a solo rent but not half of a shared one. I guess Reznik must have been looking at radically more expensive rentals, but she ought to be able to compromise and find something they both can afford, if her motive is genuinely to live together and not to put him in a pumpkin shell.

Especially if they aren't getting married, this seems to me like a set up for her to control everything, and he has no rights, and I don't have a good feeling about it because it's not like she's good at compromise.

It's certainly possible to have a relationship where one partner makes more money and pays more than half the bills, but the way they set it up, Park is being asked to pay by doing chores and it's not an equal burden when she's setting the terms and controlling everything. I don't think it will go well. He'll be tired, he'll feel obligated, she'll be feeling entitled and able to make demands. It's set up for a power differential, and she tied to guilt him into it rather than showing care about his concerns. 

I agree that we are being set up for more problems. 

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think their hearts are in the right places, but I don't think she is accommodating his fears. I don't see it as a gender issue, the way she claimed, I see it as allowing and enabling someone to feel comfortable with their circumstances, and she bulldozed him into ignoring his discomfort.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I've been in relationships where the fact that the other person could afford what I couldn't became an issue because I felt trapped and in over my head. So that colors my reaction. I've also been in relationships where it wasn't a problem, so I know it can also work just fine.

But regardless of my own issues, it's also that I feel like Reznik is not that trustworthy. I don't think she's driven by money but she is driven by getting her own way. So I see that as being a source of conflict if Park doesn't like something that's happening and she can just veto his objections because she feels entitled to do whatever she wants "because I'm paying for it". It's not that I think he's a gold digger or that she's motivated by money. It's that I think that any power differential will work to her advantage, whatever the source.

Also, I just don't like her. I can't imagine anyone actually being happy in a relationship with her, so of course I think they're doomed.

This, all of this!

• Love 2

Really liked the nice moment when Shaun told Jordan she was part of his tribe.  But overall I thought it was a fairly boring episode.

From the previews though, next week looks crazy!

• Love 1

12 hours ago, ForReal said:

Only on TV does someone wake up from experimental brain surgery capable of having a cogent conversation about detecting no pain and no sadness. Way to wrap things up quickly.

...with a full head of gorgeous blond hair!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

People on this show never shave their heads for brain surgery. There must be a supply chain issue preventing the show from getting bald caps. /snerk

I have honestly wondered what's in the actors' contract.: 'call it brain surgery if you must but don't touch my gorgeous mane." Just cut between the follicles.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I have honestly wondered what's in the actors' contract.: 'call it brain surgery if you must but don't touch my gorgeous mane." Just cut between the follicles.

I can't imagine many actors willing to shave their heads for a guest star role. 

16 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I think they usually use bald caps

• Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 8:35 PM, preeya said:

Park & Reznick living together with Reznick footing most of the bills. What could possibly go wrong?  The shirtless perks will soon run out.

That was kind of creepy.  Like, she was going to pay the bills, and his contribution would be to walk around shirtless for her to gawk at?  Would that be OK if the genders were reversed?  the man paid for house, and the woman was told she could contribute by doing chores in a bikini?         I hate this relationship.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I loved the idea of Oark and Reznik but the more I watch of them the more I go off Park. He acts so superior toward her and it’s so off putting. Reznik can be abrasive but I don’t think she’s all bad and I feel like Park is constantly judging her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1